Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine. Today on the bright Side, we're popping off on the biggest pop culture moments of the week with Claudia and Jackie Ashriy. You may know them from their podcast The Toast. So we're asking a few questions today. Are you pro pda? What do you do with a diamond ring after a divorce? And boom, what's scarier than an unwonted ex coming back into your life. It's Friday, October eighteenth. I'm Danielle Robe.
Speaker 2: And I'm Simone Boyce and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, laugh, learn and brighten your day.
Speaker 3: Well, Danielle, happy Friday to you.
Speaker 1: Boo, Happy Friday.
Speaker 2: You can't keep doing that when I'm not expecting it. I'm terrified.
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, we've had such a fun week. I love looking back on our conversations together. I was definitely thinking about Kacobell's interview. She's the author and fall Ya Reese's book club pick, and she used her writing to help discover her place in her native heritage. I loved hearing about how she stepped into her multiple identities.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I loved our conversation with comedian Leanne Morgan. I mean, the fact that she didn't start her now hugely successful comedy career until she was in her thirties is such a great reminder that it's never too late.
Speaker 3: And I can't wait to.
Speaker 2: See her on the big screen with Reese, Withutherspoon and Will Ferrell next year.
Speaker 3: That's going to be epic.
Speaker 1: She's Honestly, if somebody asked me, like which I'm new to the bright Side, which episode should I listen to? She's one of the ones I would point to one hundred percent. She was so fun. We also had a really informative Wellness Wednesday this week with dietitian, plant based cook and New York Times bestselling author Roddy Davlukia. Her insight on food and spices and illness was really interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dare I say spicy?
Speaker 1: And Kamila Alvis McConaughey. I have to tell you, Simone, I've been thinking about what she said in that interview since we spoke to her. She shared that when she was cleaning houses when she first got here, she told the woman that she was cleaning the houses with. On Fridays, we go to the Dollar Store and we buy one thing nice because everything we do is for other people, and we're doing one fun thing for us. And I just felt like that story embodied her spirit. She was pretty wonderful. She was doing the Millennial Treat. Before the Millennial Treat was the thing, she really was.
Speaker 2: All Right, well, we've got a great show today. We've got so many pop culture topics to discuss, but first it's time to spotlight our favorite moment of the week.
Speaker 1: Yep. Today we're dedicating our spotlight to trailblazer and fair pay activists Lily Ledbetter. She sadly passed away Saturday at the age of eighty six. You know, when my grandpa passed away, The rabbi at his funeral said that people passed twice. The first time is when their physical body passes, and the second is when we stop telling their stories. And so one of the reasons I love our spotlights is I think it's so important to continue to tell these women's stories. And Lily Ugh what a story. She was known for many things, and among them was filing a gender discrimination lawsuit against Goodyear after discovering she was being paid less than her male colleagues for the exact same work. So she learned about the pay disparity through an anonymous tip nearly twenty years into her career as one of the few female supervisors at a tire plant in Alabama, and in nineteen ninety nine, as she neared retirement, Lily decided to take action and sued her employer. The case went all the way to the Supreme Court, which ultimately sided with Goodyear, ruling that Lily had filed her complaint too late. They argued she should have done so within one hundred and eighty days of her first discriminatory paycheck way back in nineteen seventy nine. While that decision sparked widespread outrage and led to a famous descent by you guessed it, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. If you have a few minutes this weekend, it's worth a reader. Her words are super powerful. But that wasn't the end of Lily's story. Two years after the Supreme Court ruling, President Barack Obama signed the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act into law, effectively removing the statute of limitations on fair pay claims.
Speaker 3: Wow, what an incredible story.
Speaker 2: You know, we often have these discussions about equal pay and it feels like we're talking about it in a vacuum, like no one else in history has experienced what we're going through. That's why it's so important for us to remember women like Lily Ledbetter and her advocacy and efforts.
Speaker 3: For equal pay.
Speaker 2: M M all right, Danielle, I think it's about that time you ready to pop off?
Speaker 1: What time is it, simone, it's pop off a clock. In that case, I'm ready. Claudia Jackie, welcome to the right side.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Hi. We both are living for your podcast, The Toast and of course the sisterly dynamic. We always hear you talk about the biggest stories in pop culture, but we're kind of curious about those moments from childhood. Who were your icons growing up.
Speaker 5: Miley Cyrus, Hanna Montana.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were very much raised by Hannah Montana. I went through a phase where like I would have laid my life out on the line for Joe Jonas and the Jonas brothers, like that was a huge part.
Speaker 4: Of my upbringing as well.
Speaker 6: We were very much a house also divided by boy bands, like we were growing up in the InSync.
Speaker 4: Backstreet Boys era.
Speaker 6: Jackie sort of led the family in the Backstreet boys standhood, and then our older sister Olivia was the leader, and like, if you want, if you wanted to hang out in Jackie's room or you wanted to hang out in the Libya's room, you had to pledge your allegiance to either boy band. Like it was so serious, it was so nuts, but we were obsessed. Wait, remind me the birth order again, I'm older. How does that dynamic play out in your relationship? Do you do you think that you embody elder sister traits one dousand Marsana.
Speaker 3: She's always onelling you me.
Speaker 5: No, I'm just always trying to guide you, yeah, into.
Speaker 6: Doing the right thing, Like Jackie, can you always ask me for guidance? Yes, She's very much like molding me into the person that I am. Like I'm just becoming a Jackie two point Oh.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's so cute.
Speaker 2: I grew up an only child, so I'm always fascinated by birth order dynamics.
Speaker 6: And we're a fan family that like really respects birth order dynamics because we're four daughters and like number three Jackie' number two, and we have two other sisters and like growing up, like the order in which we were born played such an important role in like, you know, if we would go on vacation or like there was like five pieces of candy, we would choose.
Speaker 3: Always birth order.
Speaker 6: Like we very much like leaned into like respecting your elders and like it kind of stunk being the third out of four, but it was an important thing in our lives.
Speaker 2: We know that you have your pulse on pop culture all the time. What do you think is the most over hyped pop culture story right now?
Speaker 4: The thing is with Jackie and I, like we will beat something.
Speaker 1: To a cult.
Speaker 6: It takes us a lot for us to grow tired of something like that's our job. We live for when things like continue to be hyped because it gives us actually like something to talk about.
Speaker 7: But I also feel like there are things that are happening in pop culture and when they don't interest us, like we just.
Speaker 5: Skip right over them.
Speaker 7: So of the things that like we love and a door, like we really we don't get sick of stuff, but there's definitely a lot of stuff that goes on that is a blind spot for us. And we admit that we're we're like we just don't care about these people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like earlier this summer, we chose not to watch Love Island, which was a mistake on our part. If everybody could shut up about it, because like we don't know what you're talking about it, and we just feel left out.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way.
Speaker 6: It's not that it's like getting like two overhyped. It's like we can't participate. Therefore we need everyone to be quiet.
Speaker 2: Well, Love Island is a huge time investment, too big of an undertable.
Speaker 3: It's way too big. Like if you're behind, I'm staying behind. You can't catch up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not enough people talk about that.
Speaker 5: We were enjoying our summer.
Speaker 3: We were outside Jackie.
Speaker 2: We were living, We are touching grass, we were in these streets, y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay. Well, a story that the media doesn't grow tired of is Taylor and Travis. This week, we couldn't escape the photos of them hugged up at the Yankees Cleveland Guardians game. They were like holding hands and hugging. Taylor even fed Travis some popcorn at one point, which I thought was very cute.
Speaker 3: Did you did you really think it was cute?
Speaker 1: I did, because to me, they do understated they're not like Travis Sparker and Courtney Kardashian. To me, that's like I don't want to see that. It's a lot for me. You're not in your head, Claudia, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Taylor has like spoken a lot about that, like especially how it come, like how her relationship with her body, Like you don't see a lot of pictures of her like in bikinis. Right, Yes, she's very conservative when it comes to her body, because she has said in her documentary, like she knows the value of that. She knows like a photo of her on the beach like will be sold for money and that makes her really uncomfortable. So she's low key like a conservative GIRLI when it comes to things like that, like the way she dresses, and so the fact that she's never like outwardly pedia Like I can think of like three examples obviously, like her and Tom hitdlestand on the beach, her and Harry Styles New Year's Eve, Like there aren't a lot for someone.
Speaker 4: Who, like, you know, everyone says she's like a million boyfriends.
Speaker 6: Like she doesn't have like a million pictures of her like making out with guys or like straddling them. Courtney Kardashian vibe. So the fact that we did get they like kiss. I mean he put his hat up in front of them and then they like kiss behind the hat, like very demure of them. I lived for it, like I could do more, do more, I'm ready.
Speaker 4: I wanted to see everything.
Speaker 1: I think they do it nicely.
Speaker 2: Can we also just talk about the fact that Claudia just dropped like ten Taylor Swift factoids in a matter of like thirty seconds.
Speaker 3: You're an encyclopedia. The words you're.
Speaker 1: Looking for is loser, no, no, no, Okay. Here's my other question though, because it got me thinking about celebrity PDA in general. And I constantly think of jay Z and Beyonce because oftentimes when they're at award shows, they're sitting in the front row and they almost hold court. They never even actually get up to greet people. They make people come to them or people just gravitate to them, but you don't see them PDA. All they kind of do is hold hands, even like on a yacht in the middle of summer, when we like catch them paparazzi style, they are not PDA. Is there a power in that?
Speaker 4: I feel like it's a personal preference.
Speaker 6: No, like some people are just comfortable like having you know, tits out for the boys, and some are not.
Speaker 7: And it also depends on the maturity of your relationship. I think PDA is more often happening in a very novel relationship, and then as you spend more time with each other, like it just it wanes a bit. But of course older couples also do PDA, but I think that has a lot to do with it.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys are both married, are you PDA people?
Speaker 3: I am not.
Speaker 7: I don't think that will surprise anyone. However, like early days of my relationship, I was.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you guys, she was out of control.
Speaker 3: Like it was an example. That was an example, just.
Speaker 5: Like hugging, kissing, sitting on laps, like walking Eve.
Speaker 4: Comes to mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know what happened on New Year's Eve.
Speaker 4: We just were all together.
Speaker 6: They had really just started dating, and they were like so head over heels falling in love with each other.
Speaker 4: And it was like we were with their family, like calm down.
Speaker 1: It was just like it was a lot okay, but it was New Year's Eve, no, and it was a.
Speaker 4: Young love and it was beautiful. I was just a hater, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but as a whole, I'm not a PDA person myself though in other people, unless you're being disgusting, it doesn't bother me, Like yeah, unless I'm seeing saliva and tongues wagging, Like if you're being cute and sitting on each other's laps and smooches and hugs and touchy, like that's really cute.
Speaker 6: I don't really have like a general rule, Like I'm kind of hypocritical in the sense that, like it depends who.
Speaker 4: We're talking about.
Speaker 6: Like if I think you're gross, like then your PDA is gross.
Speaker 5: You're a gross person, then it's gross.
Speaker 6: Like if you give off the vibe that you don't like brush your teeth twice a day, like I don't want to see. But if you look like, you know, clean and well kept and like you in your manner, both really good looking, like you know what, I'll allow it so not to be shallow. But it's a case by case I can't make like a grand statement.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, speaking of this, Taylor and Travis have like been in New York a lot that seems to be their hub, and I see all these photos of them coming out of restaurants, and it's to me, like, I'm like, Okay, they know they're getting paparazzied, of course, so they're wearing certain outfits. I see both of their styles changing. And before I give my two cents, because I have maybe ten cents for this, I want to know what you guys think about the Taylor Travis evolving style.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can tell she like is really feeling herself. I feel like we you're with someone who like really hypes you up. And I've always said this about Like, people always comment like, oh, wow, you're such a confident person. And I really get for my husband, like he is like always gassing me up. He thinks I'm literally so wargeous, like he thinks some of the most hot like and that makes you feel so confident. It gives you, like the willingness to try new things and wear different tops that you might know wear, and you gel tillick Taylor, like I said, she's low key conservative. She's definitely feeling herself a coarse sit sexualis in her own way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I agree, definitely in her sexy era, but then also trying to like pair it with all the Easter eggs that she has to like get in for whatever, like work project she has next, So we're getting like sexy plaid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sexy irishman.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a huge burden to have to think about Easter eggs all the.
Speaker 1: Time, But they have stylists who do that.
Speaker 3: I guess, I guess, Okay, I have.
Speaker 1: A hot take. I think Travis's style has gotten worse, very different.
Speaker 4: It's different, it's there's definitely been a shift.
Speaker 1: There's been a shift. He used to kind of be like he had swags.
Speaker 4: Swag, and now it's giving very much father for.
Speaker 3: Yes, Hey, hey we love our fathers before. Okay, I'm kind of.
Speaker 1: Like cookout vibes.
Speaker 7: Maybe it's aspirational. Maybe it's signaling the future. Maybe he's dressing for the job. He wants a job.
Speaker 3: He has very good point, Jackie. Maybe okay.
Speaker 2: Well, Speaking of relationships, Tiamuri of Sister Sister Fame recently opened up about repurposing her wedding ring from her ex husband. So Tia decided to turn her wedding ring into a necklace for her thirteen year old son Kree and a bracelet for her six year old daughter Cairo, and she says that the message behind this gift to them is that they have been her greatest gift even though that marriage didn't work out like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it too. It's very sustainable.
Speaker 6: First of all, like nobody talks about like all the money that people spend on like engagement gifts and wedding rings that you know, fifty percent of marriages end up in divorce, so it's kind of wasteful. And the fact that like she's able to repurpose it, like, Okay, the marriage didn't work out, but these are the kids parents. I actually think it's really sweet. I'm surprising for people. This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone doing this, and I'm surprised this' I'm more of a trend.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: I think it's genius. I think I think all divorced couples should do this.
Speaker 3: I think it's genious.
Speaker 1: It's the brilliant. It's kind of yeah, because the kids also. I heard Kelly Clarkson say this in an interview recently when she was like, when you get divorced, you have to talk about the meaning of love or the definition of love to kids a lot, because kids say, like, oh, you don't love daddy anymore, Like it's hard for them to understand what divorce means. And I think the signals like you were made from love, Daddy, and I still love you. This still matters to us. Like, I just think it's really beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that there's something that's always going to connect them. Yeah, you know so, and they get to carry that as a token around their neck or their wrists.
Speaker 6: I know Greta Tuneberg would approve of being as sustainable as he is, being like very very Greta.
Speaker 5: Approved and selfless.
Speaker 1: Jaggie, what do you think.
Speaker 5: I think there's nothing not to like. I think that's so sweet.
Speaker 7: I feel like most times people try to think of how they can repurpose the ring, like for themselves and maybe put it on a necklace.
Speaker 5: But like none of.
Speaker 7: Those ideas I don't know, they just like don't really resonate with me as much as something like this.
Speaker 5: I think it's really sweet.
Speaker 2: Well, here's one more thing that TSA about this. She said that it didn't feel right to sell the wedding ring. What are your thoughts on selling wedding rings?
Speaker 6: Well, she's rich, so like she's a celebrity, she has that privilege. But I think a lot of times people literally need to sell it to pay for their lawyers. Like, so it's a case my case thing, Like, you know, everyone's socioeconomic situations are different.
Speaker 5: It's case by case.
Speaker 1: Were you ring people before you got married? Like I have friends who have galleries in their phone of rings that they then send to their fiance ahead of this, being like, here's what I like, and then some people DGAF.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got engaged like kind of young.
Speaker 6: I feel like maybe if I had like grown up a little bit more, I would have spent more time like ring hunting on interest.
Speaker 4: I was like, it didn't mean that much to me.
Speaker 6: I think some people it's like the dream. For me, I was just like, okay, cute love.
Speaker 7: I cared what my ring was going to look like, but I didn't have any idea of what I wanted it to look like. I'm not even a huge jewelry person. I didn't know like emerald is more than a color. I had to kind of educate myself and what I did, which I thought was really helpful. As I and I tried on rings, and immediately I knew what shape was the most me and what looked best on my hand. And I feel like people have that experience where it's like, you know what represents you the best and also what looks best on you. I feel like it didn't. It wasn't even a hard choice. Once I started trying rings on, I knew exactly what was right for me.
Speaker 4: Jacks, what's your thoughts on like upgrading your ring after like five or ten years of marriage, like every decade or so? Love it?
Speaker 6: You know, because Joanna Gaines like famously rich queen like won't upgrade. She has like the same little thing that Chip gave her and living the chapel like and like, while that's an immensely admirable and beautiful, Like, bitch, you're rich, Like get a big diamond.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don't you want like a big honkin thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that if you can, you should.
Speaker 1: Simone, did you care?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Uh someone's looking at her ring?
Speaker 3: I'm looking, Yeah, my ring.
Speaker 2: I did not have Pinterest sports of rings picked out. We did go together, but I also got engaged very young, and there are so many choices that I would have changed if I were getting married now. Oh my god, my bridesmaid's dresses were hideous. I'm so sorry. I apologized all of them. I had these old I was so I was a child bride. I was like twenty three. I was so young twenty two. I got engaged when I was twenty one. Yeah, there were pink like lights in my tent, like for the reception.
Speaker 3: I don't know why pink was the color anyways.
Speaker 2: So the reason why I love my ring is because the wedding band detaches from the ring and there's space for us to add on to it, like we can add on a third piece, which we've said was going to happen at ten years, hasn't happened yet. But here's open for fifteen. We need to take a quick break, but we'll be right back to popping off with Claudia and Jackie Ashriy. And we're back with Claudia and Jackie Ashriy.
Speaker 1: The next topic we're going to cover is going to be really tough for Claudia and Simone, so Jackie are going to have to help me out here. It's the topic of exes. You guys don't have very many, you.
Speaker 4: Know, sleigh slay the house town Yeah, no x'es.
Speaker 1: It's truly a sleigh as somebody who has many exes that I wish I didn't have. It is a sleigh, Yeah it is.
Speaker 6: And honestly, I don't know if that makes us like dating experts or we know nothing, because like I've actually been on yeah, one date in my.
Speaker 4: Life and so I'm amazing to marry you. Yeah, it was such a good date. He couldn't stay away.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, there's this article in the Cut about how exes haunt us, which feels pretty timely leading up to Halloween. There's nothing like an X popping and that says boo, that scares me more. To be honest, they gathered stories related to X's reaching back out, So from exes stalking LinkedIn pages to getting drunk dialed by an ex for fifteen years. That seems like harassment.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Literally, I wish my ex would stalk my LinkedIn because I'd be able to see it. Like, at least on LinkedIn, you can.
Speaker 4: You get some closure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Like, oh, do you.
Speaker 1: Think that it's okay to be in touch with any ex's even if it's appropriate while you're married.
Speaker 6: We were just talking about this because Kaylenicle Travis Kelsey's Exibol podcast, like talking about him in a way that like a lot of people, you know, had a lot to say about and you know, we were sympathetic that, Like, yeah, you were someone for five years and you share so much, like so many deep parts of yourself, Like it's hard. But at the end of the day, like when that person moves on, like it does become inappropriate for you to continue having a relationship or any form of communication with that person, Like I'm I'm not about that, Like we can't be friends.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, and even before they move on, Like if you're both single, but you broke up, like you broke up, and if you want to be in touch, get back to back together.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: I think that there's a statute of limitations. I feel like, if you are friends with an ex from fifteen twenty years ago, I think that's fine to stay in touch.
Speaker 7: Did you stay in touch for fifteen years or fifteen years later, like, hey, how you doing.
Speaker 5: No, that's just a stranger.
Speaker 2: I think it's only appropriate if you've stayed in touch for fifteen years, You've been friends that whole time. They've met your new partner, they've kind of been ingratiated into the social group.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I will say I think situations like this are rare. Most of the time. I think it's really inappropriate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like, just don't go there. You know, you should be happy in you're new Like, what do you need another friend for? You're in a happy relationship. I'm all you need.
Speaker 1: If you saw your husband like his you know how you can see who they've looked up on Instagram? If you saw your husband had searched an ex, how would you feel? And why are you laughing, Jackie?
Speaker 5: Because that's like a funny situation.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's funny. Ben doesn't have Ben's like ex girlfriend like it was when she was like.
Speaker 3: Fourteen, like that kind But seriously, I would be mad, like I was, excuse.
Speaker 4: You can only look at pictures of me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I'd want to know why.
Speaker 7: I feel like there would be a reason, like oh I heard that she had a baby right where, you know something, as.
Speaker 5: Long as they're so good reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Otherwise it makes me livid for some reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I my ex ex boyfriend, I like saw his phone and he would look up his ex girlfriend every so often just to see what she was up to. And I was like, what are you holding onto? It made me so angry now and the.
Speaker 6: Fact that he did it repeatedly like a pattern, like he had something about that person, Like that's even worse.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Thank you so much, Claudia. I'm on your side, thank you.
Speaker 3: I disagree with all of you. I think it's human nature.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's natural to be curious about someone that you've spent so much time with. And I think as long as it's not like problematic and they're not messaging them.
Speaker 7: I agree, But not like quarterly, maybe every few years, like it is like it's a fun blast from the past. But I think that there's like once a year max. And if you happen to get caught that one time in the year, unfortunate, that's that's suspicious.
Speaker 2: This is something like.
Speaker 6: The Internet sort of has ruined because you have access to everybody's information. Like back in the day, what we're gonna do stop by the person's place of work? Like you really just were really news letter right, you were able to forget about people.
Speaker 1: Now you can't. No, No, it's such a twenty twenty four problem.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 1: I think about my parents, like, how are they going to look up their exes? They were never to be heard or seen again.
Speaker 3: Have your parents ever looked up their exes. Have you asked them this?
Speaker 1: I haven't. I asked my parents a lot of inappropriate questions that.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's one more topic we're going to pop off on y'all. So Pop Sugar recently published an article about the living apart together movement. If you're not familiar, this is essentially a relationship dynamic in which couples live apart from each other. We're not talking about in different bedrooms. We're talking about under separate roofs. So the benefits include according to the people who are in these types of relationships, benefits include preserving personal space and independence. Also could be beneficial to couples with wildly different sleep schedules or snoring habits. That's the one that came to mind for me. What are your thoughts on this dynamic? Could you ever see yourself living apart together? No, I'm like cripplingly, like I hating alone.
Speaker 6: I love being married, Like, come home sooner, come home from work, quit your job, be my friend, like I I that's to me one of the benefits of marriage. I try to judge, you know, anyone set up, but like, if I'm gonna judge, like, this is not for me, like, this is not what marriage is about. Marriage is like, you know, making a commitment to like be together all the time.
Speaker 4: It's a marriage.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I do think that I don't know the ages of people who are doing this, but I do think it's something up. Maybe you could unlock, like forty years into marriage when it's like listen, I gotta get a good night's sleep. You like to watch this show like we obviously love each other.
Speaker 1: I mean there's always this research that comes out about like is it okay or beneficial for your marriage to sleep apart because sleep experts all say yes, like getting great sleep is the key factor here, but like people always say no.
Speaker 3: I could see you doing this honestly with your sleep.
Speaker 1: You're obsessed with I'm obsessed with sleep. Yeah, but I feel very similar to Claudia, like I'm like a crawling in your skin, like we are together together.
Speaker 4: By the way, I am also obsessed with sleep.
Speaker 5: So ever, you probably sleep better with Ben.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I like sleep so bad when I'm alone.
Speaker 6: I'm Loki also like afraid of the dark, like I watched like so much SVU growing up.
Speaker 4: I always think there's a murder in my closet.
Speaker 6: Whatever, the opposite of like living apart together, Like I'm like living up your butt, Like that's that's my ideal marriage.
Speaker 3: Me too.
Speaker 1: I want to like crawl into your pants and your sweatshirt whatever.
Speaker 4: It's like you couldn't possibly be close enough to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, okay, I need to get away from you. I'm like, me, let me hug her.
Speaker 1: She won't let me hug her.
Speaker 6: True, that is Jackie and I like, good luck ever getting like a kiss from Jackie.
Speaker 1: Did you guys watch the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show?
Speaker 4: We did?
Speaker 1: We did?
Speaker 6: We had really we did, like a forty five minute recap on the podcast because we had I needed to work through our feelings almost.
Speaker 1: Like and I felt the same way. We had a lot of feelings.
Speaker 7: Someone commented, so did the girls like the show or did they not like the show? I couldn't tell you, Like, there were things about it that were good, but over we're all like it just wasn't iconic, and I don't think it accomplished what they were trying to accomplish, which I still don't know what they were trying to accomplish.
Speaker 2: I think it's really hard to bring back that show. I just think it's kind of it doesn't age well even if you try to come back with good intentions. We all know, we were all there, We all saw the culture. We were part of the culture.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, you said something yesterday that I thought was brilliant, which was you were like, we.
Speaker 3: Can't just forgive you Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I think if you grew up as a teenager in the nineties early two thousands, we were all part of that toxic beauty culture. We all saw the tabloids, we all saw how women were consistently torn down.
Speaker 3: In the media.
Speaker 2: And you can't expect us to just forget, Like, we're not going to forget what happened.
Speaker 4: That's what Jackie was saying.
Speaker 6: Like, remember back in the day, they would have like packages, pre recorded packages between each.
Speaker 4: Like music set and explain the outfits and the meaning. They just like no explanation. They didn't explain to us. Is this a one time thing? Is this a reunion? Are they back bed better than ever every year?
Speaker 6: What's the point? What's different about it? Like there was no story. It was just I liked it because it was short. I love short things.
Speaker 4: I'd like such a short but they really shortened meaning. They needed meaning yeah, there was no meaning.
Speaker 6: In addition to like, yes, we had a lot of critiques about the actual show. There were far too many models. The camera work was really bad. Everything was so dark, the makeup was badly, costumes were ugly. Like when it comes to the actual purpose, I'm unclear on why they brought it back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't answer the why. I'm left wondering, like, what was the point? You know, it's that we were missing the why. But honestly, just us talking about it today, this is a great millennial therapy session.
Speaker 3: I feel a lot better. So thank you.
Speaker 1: What I learned is that internally I understand their why, and it didn't it wasn't communicated. Yeah, smart, what you said, where was the story?
Speaker 2: Claudia, Jackie, thank you so much for popping off with us today and bringing your sisterly energy.
Speaker 3: We loved it.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much, so much for having so feat Thank you.
Speaker 2: Claudia and Jackie Aushriya are sisters and co hosts of the pop culture podcast The Toast.
Speaker 1: It's time for another short break. We'll be right back, Simon. We've had a lot of fun talking about what's in our cards each week.
Speaker 3: I know, right, I mean, I'm trying to keep up. There's been so many good products.
Speaker 1: Well, today we have an entire fall decor refresh courtesy of Walmart. To me, follow is all about entertaining, right. It's the time of year when you start spending more time at home, so you're having people over for dinner parties, or if you're me, you're staying in and binge watching the new show. Nobody wants this. I am obsessed.
Speaker 3: Oh it's so good.
Speaker 2: Okay, dare I say we're going from brat summer into cozygirlfall.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I love to take a weekend every fall to clean out my whole apartment and donate what I'm not loving anymore and then find new pieces that are more meat you know.
Speaker 2: Ooh Okay, on that note, what is the most you thing in your apartment now that you've cleaned out everything?
Speaker 1: Okay, So this fall, I'm all about simple, sophisticated pieces that elevate entertaining. So I went to walmart dot com and found a set of cast iron candlesticks and a twelve piece stoneware dinner set that are both from the Better Homes and Gardens collection. And as you know, I am not crafty, but the stoneware plates look like they could have been handmade by somebody.
Speaker 3: Else of course, ooh, you are ready for entertaining?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, And for my living room, I found a gorgeous burrelwood tabletop tray from Drew Barrymore's brand Beautiful that has these delicate gold handles and a really elegant mid Century Modern inspired floor lamp in brass. And I love how all these natural, earthy textures and colors work so well to create such a timeless look. Someone, what about you? What do you think of when I say fall decor Hmmm?
Speaker 2: I don't know for me if fall is the best time to do DIY projects and get everything in order before the holidays hit and it starts to get crazy when you know we're going to be traveling and hosting and everything. I'm actually finishing up a home improvement project now that I've been working on for a little while.
Speaker 3: Do you remember how in our.
Speaker 2: Episode on Perfectionism I mentioned that I'm building these closet doors for my sun's room. Yes, And I got stuck in the parking lot at the hardware store in freeze mode because I was too scared to buy the wrong type of lumber.
Speaker 1: I remember, and go you for getting over your procrastinator perfectionism. So now that you're done making the doors for the boys room, what finishing touches are on your list?
Speaker 2: Well, since you asked, I'm getting our guest bedroom ready for the holidays because we're gonna have family in town. So I'm all about the Better Homes and Gardens collection on Walmart dot com. I mean, it's been a life saver. I found these crisp arctic white, three hundred thread count sheets that are so nice. I just had to get a second for our bedroom too.
Speaker 1: You know how important good betting is to me.
Speaker 3: I know, right, I feel you on that.
Speaker 2: Well, to top it all off, we got this dark brown roused faux for throw, also from the Better Homes and Gardens collection. It looked so cozy online I just couldn't resist, and when it arrived I was surprised by how luxurious it feels.
Speaker 3: It is dangerously soft. I actually fell asleep under it on the couch last night.
Speaker 1: Hmm, sleep, sleep, sleep. You're speaking my language, okay.
Speaker 2: But then for the adults, I also have my eye on a new set of crystal stemware glasses, perfect for something bubbly during our holiday parties. They're so festive and they have this really elegant modern vibe. But they're also approachable, you know, like not too fancy where we can't use them every day, meaning they're dishwasher safe.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's only October and you're already ready for the holidays. I am so impressed.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm embressd with everything Walmart has to offer.
Speaker 1: Yep, thank you to our partners at Walmart. Check out walmart dot com to find all of this and more. That's it for today. On Monday, we're joined by Food Network star and cookbook author Mollie Yay. She's telling us all about go to Halloween treats and life on a farm. Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. The bright Side is a production of Hello, Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 2: Production by Arcana Audio. Our producers are Jessica Wenk and Christa Ripple. Our senior producers are Janis Yamoka, it'si Kin Thania and Amy Padula. Our engineer is PJ Shahamatt.
Speaker 1: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzika. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 2: Natalie Tuluk and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 1: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner.
Speaker 2: This week's episodes were recorded by Josh Hook and Joel Morales. Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton Lighthouser.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 2: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boyce on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok. That's ro O b A Y.
Speaker 3: We'll see you Monday, y'all.
Speaker 2: Keep looking on the bright side.