Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Ginger Billy May ninth through the eleventh, then from White Famous, catch Jay Farrow ME sixteenth and seventeenth, and don't miss Rocky Dan Davis ME twenty third and twenty fourth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five nine two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway dot com.
Speaker 2: Comedy Off Bay presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Now Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Welcome everyone. It is Kentucky Sports Radio, Tuesday, May.
Speaker 5: The sixth, Here in Scottsdale, Arizona, beautiful Scottsdale, where it is not even seven o'clock. Well, I guess it is seven o'clock in the morning. Here you can give shot the Clark's Puppet Shop phone line that is eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. We will take your calls, so go ahead and get in. I've got some complaints that haven't taken enough calls. I need to talk to the people. So eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, and we'll take your calls up early. Uh eVision auto glass text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. In this disition spots about t J. Smith office. You called TJ. He'll make them pay. Here with Drew and Mario in Scottsdale. Shannon is back in Kentucky. These guys are getting on a plane and going back this afternoon. I'm going back on Thursday. All of us will be in Owensboro on Friday. That made it sound like I wasn't gonna be there at the Skins Cancer Center. But I will be there. Mario just has to pick me up at eleven o'clock at night at the airport in Cincinnati, and then we have to drive to Owensboro orw That'll be heck for drive Thursday, won't it.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of driving eleven pm.
Speaker 5: And owens in Cincinnati and then go all the way to Owensboro that night. We'll get there late, but that's okay. You may hear in my voice a little bit of struggle because we're all pretty tired. It is because it's seven o'clock in the morning here. But drew a lot of fun last night.
Speaker 6: I had an absolute blast yesterday. I mean our pool day felt like a day in itself. It felt like two different, completely different days, but we strung them all together. We're a little worn out, but we had so much fun. You guys look so nice. I normally just see you Matt in a hoodie. Mario. You know, we never get dressed up, but uh, black tie affair. It felt felt a lot different. We looked good. I mean the three of us walked down. I mean, first of all, you got to start with Mario. I mean his jacket. He had strangers. Mario'shannon could have hooked up with every forty five year old.
Speaker 5: Woman in Scotts felt like women there.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean like literally everybody.
Speaker 5: They were like all the women like my age to Ryan's age, were just going, you look good, and then all of a sudden there'd be like a little tinkle in their voice, and then they would be like, can I buy you a drink at this free bar?
Speaker 4: Mario, all the they were out for.
Speaker 5: You, like women your age. They're a lot older.
Speaker 6: We're a lot older.
Speaker 7: You don't know.
Speaker 6: When we were outside and when the woman came up to Mario and said, your drink's empty, and then walked all the way back in, got him a drinking, came back out. I'm thinking, my goodness, boy, oh what do you.
Speaker 5: Got going on to that? That jacket had him going? Then, you know, I don't usually dress like that. Sways, the person that said the Swede was maybe a little hot for Arizona, I think they were a little right about that, especially since I didn't know the party was gonna be outside. I was subburb it was I was sunburn. Within forty five minutes, they were giving away hats, and after forty five minutes, I said, I wanted to get a hat because there's parts of my head that they're going, what's going on over there?
Speaker 4: So so but otherwise a lot of.
Speaker 8: Fun, right, It's so fun, man, You see that. I don't know, like I have so many different favorite parts about the day. I love the fact that we all dress before.
Speaker 5: You said, yeah, well, go go ahead. Don't give you any specific people we met. But besides that, go ahead, don't.
Speaker 4: Spill, don't spell, because I have a big takeaway, but go ahead. I was just gonna talk about our outfits.
Speaker 8: Man, The way we showed up in the red carpet, and you know it took photos and everything like that, and it was like an event that was too long, you know, we got we were there for like two or three hours and then we got up out of there.
Speaker 5: It was awesome, right, let's start with it was interesting, Shannon to go to this with Mario. Okay, because you're still there, Shannon, want to make sure, like this is a barstool event, So I think you can agree, Mario. Mostly white people right, right, like a lot of white people. There was like four black people in the building, but they all love Mario. I mean, Mario became like Mario was like the guest of honor there. When we walk in, we want to take a picture, Shannon on the red carpet, right, because the three of us are dressed up. There's a draft Kings barstool logo, there's a red carpet. So the official red carpet walk had ended. But Shannon, you understand, we wanted to take a picture of us, right, but there's nobody there. The photographers have already gone inside. So Mario is just looking for somebody to take a picture. You know who he asked to take our picture, Shannon. A Hall of Fame wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald. He doesn't know who he is because he's too old.
Speaker 4: So Larry's the top.
Speaker 5: Larry Fitzgerald looks at I mean, Maria looks at Larry Fitzgerald. It's like looking at Jerry Rice and going, Jerry Rice, can I have a picture and then just holding.
Speaker 4: Him the phone and asking him to take it, which.
Speaker 5: Is exactly what he did. He asked Larry Fitzgerald to take our pictures. No, Larry just walked on, but his buddy took the picture. But that's when you hang out with him, you understand he doesn't know anybody. Drew like, if they're older than twenty seven, he does not know who they are.
Speaker 6: In the moment he did to know. We go to the bar and I looked at him. I was like, do you realize that's probably a top five NFL wide receiver that you just talked to. He's like, oh, that guy's a receiver as the game's retired, but that is a legend that you spoke to familiar.
Speaker 4: I've definitely seen him on TV or something like that.
Speaker 5: So then we got inside and you know, it was it was an interesting group because you and I wonder Drew before we went like why did they ask us to be here. I still don't really know the answer to that question, because even though it was a lot of fun, I still don't really know what it was. I mean, everybody was just hanging out.
Speaker 6: Even the barstool guys weren't real strue what was going on.
Speaker 5: I don't think anybody really knew what was happening. It was just like a party, which I guess is what the met gal is. You know, the met galley. Everybody sees everybody walk in, but then you don't really know what's going on inside. Are they looking at art? Are they just just standing there? That's kind of how this was. You walk inside. At least there were games on, right the Knicks played the Celtics, the Nuggets played the Thunder and so there were games on. But otherwise, you know, you're just standing there. And it was interesting to me because I only knew a handful of people, but I ended up in a lot of conversations. And there are conversations where you just don't know what to say to people, right Like, you go, hey you, I know you, and they're like, hey, you're the Kentucky guy. It's good to talk to you, right like, right nice. I mean you just you kind of run out of things to say. I think after a while.
Speaker 6: Yeah, looking back, if someone were asking me like, what did you all do? I kind of we just mingled, and I don't like to mingle, but we mean big barstool personalities. We're like, what's up? What do we do here? And they're like, we don't know. Hi, Uh did you get the sushi? All right, good talk, move.
Speaker 5: On to the nose.
Speaker 4: They did have no shin and they did have a lot of food.
Speaker 3: That's all they had.
Speaker 5: Like they had a chef hand rolling sushi while you were there, you know, they had they had a lot of food. It was an open bar. They gave away okay when you got there, you could scan your phone shan And they were just having a little contest where you would pick the games that were on that night. Yeah, and there's probably what two hundred people at that party, maybe a hundred of them are barstool employees, and they're not allowed to be in the contest. So you're talking about like one hundred people. And somebody was gonna win twenty five thousand dollars out of that and second place was like ten thousand dollars. And third place was seven thousand dollars. And so that's like an when we walk in, we go, what an amazing contest? You know what we did? Shannon?
Speaker 3: What did you do?
Speaker 5: All three of us forgot that. I once took a picture like three of us, and I think most people didn't enter. So somebody won twenty five thousand dollars, probably with not much competition. You know.
Speaker 6: It was actually woke up this morning kicking myself like did you forget to ever enter that?
Speaker 5: Because like all those women that was overwhelmed by everything going on, That's what it was. Yeah, all those women that were there, I bet they didn't enter it all that, and then you know the Barcelol employees couldn't. I'm doubting Larry Fitzgerald and the athlete Steve Nash. I don't think they. I don't think they entered it. So so Shannon, somebody just probably walked in there and was just scanned their thing and won twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: So I gotta ask you, though, the guy with the green silk suit, who is who is that?
Speaker 4: That's Jerry.
Speaker 5: That's Jerry. You know who it is. That's Jerry. O'Connell Jr. That's Jerry O'Connell Jr. Yeah, he was there, the actor from our childhood, from Lost.
Speaker 3: Boys and all that.
Speaker 5: There's a perfect example. Okay, here's a perfect example what I'm talking about. Jerry O'Connell Jr. Shannon. I've seen that guy since I was a child, right as an actor. He's been an actor our whole lives. There he is in a green mesh suit for reasons I don't totally understand, and he's watching the Nick Celtics game and he's going crazy. I'm standing behind him most of the night. When it's over, you know, we're in a position where it's just me and him, and I go, hey, Jerry, I'm Matt. He couldn't be nicer. He looks at me and he's like, hey man, what do you do? I'm like, Kentucky. Oh, He's like, you're the guy Kentucky Sports Radio. I was surprised he knew who I was. Yeah, But then, like, what do you say to Jerry O'Connell after that? I can say, I love you and Lost Boys, you know what I mean. I don't want to be like, well, what do you have in common with him?
Speaker 6: You know nothing.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just I was like, what about that game? Jerry O'Connell.
Speaker 2: J you know, he looked like he was living his best life. He was enjoying whatever was going on on that mome man.
Speaker 5: He was fun. He I joke about We didn't really know what to say, but then we started talking about sports and it was great, and he talked about how he said he would like to come on the show sometime, so I'll have him on the show.
Speaker 4: He's nice dude. He was a very nice guy.
Speaker 5: But it's just you start this conversation, you don't want to be like I know you from a movie when you were nice, Like, there just comes a point like what do you say?
Speaker 6: He set the tone for me after Mario's awkward red carpet inter actually asking Larry Fitzgerald take a picture. We weren't in the building for thirty seconds, and Mario and I just ended up talking to Jerry O'Connell. He could have been nicer, but it did get to a point where even like pat Us on the back, like, well see you guys later, We've run out of things to say. But at that moment, my brain was like, what is life right now? What is going on, Shannon, we have to talk about our guy Drew. Okay, he was a commercial. I was having a good time sharing.
Speaker 5: You know, I've known Drew for like sixteen seventeen years as part of KSR, and I've known Drew in like his Drew stages where he like was Drew, you know, every night Drew Franklin story. I mean I could, I could write a book and Drew Franklin stories from that era. Good times. He's a different Drew now, still fun still funny, still awesome, still great friend, but not quite the Drew. Like he's not you know what I'm saying. He's not Nolan Ryan thowing at I haven't lost the fest. He's still you know, he's just kind of I just don't send me out much. I mean, he's not Greg Maddox painting the corners, but he's like he's like smokes when they send him to the bullpen. You know what, That's what he is.
Speaker 3: Okay, a couple more slaughters and fork balls.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly right. Well, last night he reared back for a Nolan Ryan at forty no hitter. Okay, like he Drew was throwing as fast.
Speaker 6: But my line as I haven't lost a step. I just looked before I take one.
Speaker 5: No, it's the old Toby Key song. I ain't as good as I once was, but on as good one. I got it when I get called up as I ever was. Last night Drew was on one. He was definitely on one man. I think the correct word is even sent this to my wife and others. I was absolutely folded at that event, and it all hit him. When we were talking to Dave Portnoy, we got in like a fifteen or twenty minute conversation. He and I talked a lot about what it's like to own a company and the good and the bad and the up and down, and it was actually a really interesting conversation.
Speaker 4: Drew started it completely Mario.
Speaker 5: Coherent, normal as ever, normal, you know, just talking, Drew's coming in here and there by the end he was like.
Speaker 7: Have they partner?
Speaker 4: I got a little, I got a little.
Speaker 5: Songs the hey they part and I wasn't bad. Then them harshes go around and around. You just go and then by and then Mario and were like, you know, I think it's time, Yeah, you gotta go.
Speaker 4: I think we probably ought to go back to the hotel. And he was like dang, hey, you listen did your impersonations yesterday?
Speaker 6: I didn't know I was gonna be today.
Speaker 4: It wasn't bad bad.
Speaker 6: Mario was pretty bad. It was pretty fast.
Speaker 5: He just and then thank you Drafty Express for me. And then we ended up. Mario and I like, let's go get an uber, let's talk to go, It's time to go. Let's go true when you like something to eat, that actually was my problem.
Speaker 6: I did not eat all day and am tequilos.
Speaker 5: So so we we went got something to eat and then it was a little more calm and we finished the eating. But it was a lot of fun. Uh. You met what had to be one of your heroes, Ario, which I wanted to talk about. That was a cute moment and the other stuff that went on. Plus Kentucky gets a basketball player. We we are giddy. I'm here with Drew Franklin and Otis from the Frandy Griffiths Show. We'll be right back Kentucky Sports.
Speaker 9: Hey, Drew Franklin lived this last night at the barstools, making me feel No, you shouldn't.
Speaker 5: You shouldn't You were fun. You only told me and Mario the same story on the.
Speaker 6: Radio because I know I've already said it to you all.
Speaker 5: No, no, I want you. Here's what I want you to do. In a second. I want you to tell the story you told us ten times on the radio because it is nice. But first, a bunch of people on the text machine writing seven seven two seven seven four five two five for one person, one of many says that Matt Jerry O'Connell was not in Lost Boys. He was in stand by Me. That would have been good to know yesterday, because I do think I said to him he was the lost boy.
Speaker 3: You told him he was in a movie that he didn't know what he was even in that.
Speaker 5: I don't think he wasn't. Yeah, I think I said something like I don't remember exactly how it came up, but I think I may have said the word lost boys. He was very nice, Yeah, but he he didn't he didn't correct me. And but I think I did say it to him in the course of a longer conversation. Yeah, I had a couple of those. Actually, there was a there was a woman there that works at barstool that I called the wrong name twice. I thought her name was something else, and we I had a good conversation with her, and now I called her the I think I think I thought she was the other person the whole time.
Speaker 2: You did that in Milwaukee too, I think I.
Speaker 5: Thought, you know, I did do it Milwaukee to a sideline before. I thought that was Tracy Wolfson, and it was not nice, like layah, and like I know this woman. I know Tracy Wolfson. I don't know the person I was talking to, which made it clear why she looked like she. I wanted to respond, was like I didn't know me, and then she didn't because it was not who I thought it were. I did the exact same thing with one of those women last night. I kept calling her one thing and it was not her. That with you, man, I don't know, all right, tell the audience what you said to us forty five times last night?
Speaker 6: I just kept started. Even when we went to Old Town afterwards, I felt like I just I was pulled my string and I'm gonna say it one more time, but I have.
Speaker 5: One more in me.
Speaker 4: Okay, Gilly, so Shandon, do you know who Gilly is?
Speaker 3: I don't think I do.
Speaker 4: I didn't don't feel bad. I didn't know who he was either.
Speaker 5: He's like a big hats he's like a big podcast star. He was with Shador Sanders on Draft Knight. He even big Guy in the big Hat with Shador Sanders on Draft Night.
Speaker 6: Did you see that?
Speaker 5: Remembering the background was guy big Hat. That's who it was. He's a big Eagles fan. Super Bowl celebration, he's in the locker room.
Speaker 6: Mario wanted to meet him going in, and that's who Mario knew of all the people that would be there.
Speaker 8: He's a legend, man. He's like a legend, especially like in the black community. He's a huge legend.
Speaker 6: So exactly.
Speaker 5: But you said he was one of the biggest black podcast Yes, yes, okay, iks so go ahead.
Speaker 6: This feels so awkward saying to you guys, I'm talking to the listeners, not you too. We meet him like we did everybody with awkward conversations. But this man was so nice. He did not have to do this. He pulled Mario aside. Matt went in. I kind of just took a few steps away, was hanging out just a few little bit away from them. He talked to Mario for at least twenty minutes, giving him advice. How can I help you this that we just met, just I could not get over how nice Gilly was tomorrow and us. He was nice to me. I mean I talked to him plenty, but of all the interactions last night, I could not get over what a nice guy that was. He's alright. I can end up linking up with Mario on Mario's podcast or something down the road, but Gilly out there. I know if some of our listeners probably know him. You know him for the big hats. There's not a better person on earth than Gilly. I walked in knowing who he was, and then I'm a big fan. I'm now his biggest fan. He was so good to Mario. I was I was like Mario's dad. I was taking candid pictures of those two. I have ten pictures. He tells you that ten times, of course, of one. I'm not gonna apologize for now.
Speaker 5: It was it was he kind of took like a big uncle energy with you, and you loved it like your star.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is somebody who I grew up watching. You know, you see him on pol His advice. He took you inside and he gave you advice.
Speaker 4: He said, obviously his first advice.
Speaker 8: He was like be known in the state, like you guys got to be known in the state and try to be as known as possible in the state.
Speaker 4: And I was like, well, we're pretty known to state already.
Speaker 8: And he's like, okay, then value, he said, value is the key, Like make sure you provide value. If you're working for these guys, whatever you do, provide value. That was his biggest thing. And I was like, okay. He was like, because you don't, He said, you don't want to be like I remember you telling me, Matt a few weeks ago, you don't want to be replaceable?
Speaker 5: Was long, No, that's the advice I always give people. Younger people. They say to me, what's the biggest piece of advice you can give? And I said, I don't care what your job is. Whatever your job is, whether you're in media, whether you're a lawyer, whether you're working you know, as a bank teller, what you pick the job, make yourself irreplaceable because as an employer, you there are certain people you cannot replace. Like I in every job that I have, there's somebody there that if we lost them, it would not be the same. And so you don't And my thing is you want to make sure you're that person Gilly's advice to you was add value in everything you do. And those are actually two really good pieces of advice. Like not trying to be you know, Tony Robber here, but they really are.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I took it, took it all, you know. And he was a good dude.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 8: I love the way he didn't know us, came came over to us and talked with us for like twenty five minutes.
Speaker 4: We had a great conversation with him.
Speaker 5: I'll give you the best example of somebody making themselves irreplaceable. iHeart used to have shennon phone lines. Yeah that were that were well, they were weird.
Speaker 4: A guy set up our phone system at iHeart to where he was the only person that knew how to use it.
Speaker 5: Remember this shit. Yeah, and he like set up in it and he set it up much more elaborately than it needed to be so that no one else could fix the phone system but him, And so when when cuts were made, he'd always get capped because they're like, well, you can't replace him if we lose the phone system. And then finally, I don't know what he did, but something happened where they had to separate it.
Speaker 4: Remember our phones were down for like two or three days.
Speaker 5: That shit.
Speaker 4: Remember we couldn't take homes for.
Speaker 3: On planet Earth. Who knew how to fix it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, AT and T and then the phone company was.
Speaker 5: Like, what is this system?
Speaker 4: Who did this?
Speaker 5: And he had done it so that's a little sneaky way to do it, but he had done it to where he like was irreplaceable. And then finally when it had to happen, we were, we were. We replaced him for a while.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, Well, Gilly's irreplaceable to me, Like my brother in law is an Eagles fan and Gilly's probably one of the more famous Eagles fans. He's like, well, let's send him a video, like just he was just doing so much. That was so nice.
Speaker 8: And the crazy part is you see that on camera, like when you watch his podcast, he acts just like that, and when you see it in person, like it's I know, you didn't really know.
Speaker 6: Who he was, but like hearing his stories, he said, You're like you should be the one on TV talking about it.
Speaker 5: Were great. There were some other people that I thought just as were much nice and that with thought. I mean Portnoy like we talked twenty minutes. I mean we talked about Drew was done at the end of that twenty minute.
Speaker 3: Did you tell the only story.
Speaker 7: He did?
Speaker 4: Actually, I think he did.
Speaker 5: Talked to the whoever the kid is that does the I don't know Josh Richards best friend.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: Did you know when I knew when he was really gone?
Speaker 8: When we tried to take a selfie with Josh Richards and Drew had it on video and we were standing there for like.
Speaker 4: All right, wear this second, just staring at.
Speaker 5: The Jerry looks at this guy, all right, Shannon, Josh Richards. He's like a TikTok guy, right, and he does he does a podcast.
Speaker 4: The direction of this conversation.
Speaker 5: But Drew meets him just immediately takes a vape with it. I don't know how it happened, but Drew's just vaping with this guy, Josh. How many times you have the opportunity I didn't even know Drew vapepe with a TikTok star and then when it's over, goes, hey can I get a selfie?
Speaker 4: And he just turns it on video.
Speaker 6: Let's let's go.
Speaker 4: This is not about me, this is about Gilly, and we'll take a break.
Speaker 5: Very back.
Speaker 7: Sorry TJ.
Speaker 3: Smith personal injury attorney called TJ.
Speaker 5: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 2: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 5: I feel sorry for the podcast people because Shannon's been on roll with the music lately in terms of it being like, I mean, this is a great pick over and over again for an irreplaceable going in the break, Shannon is Shannon's killing it. I am going to go the phones. Ay if I'm nine to two eight twenty two eighty seven, Well, we got one or two people on there, get on there because I do want to go real quick. I want to do a couple of questions here that people, uh wrote in. One person writes Matt, I saw you on the live stream a few times talking to Rico Bosco. Uh. It was weird seeing all those people and then seeing you on it too. Yeah. We made a few of those shots just standing behind because the Knicks and Celtics Shannon were in an amazing game. Oh yeah yeah, and the people, yeah yeah. Half the people there were Knicks fans and half the people there were Celtics fans, and so that was kind of kind of cool to watch. One person says Matt did you meet Frank the Tank. I know a lot of you don't know who these people are, but but you know some people do, yes, and he was. He was very nice. We liked him.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I had to help him. His pants were like he was having a pant situation, so I helped. I tried to help him a little bit.
Speaker 6: I'm so hesitant to say anything, but everyone really was nice.
Speaker 5: Frank.
Speaker 6: I know him just a little bit from social media, but we sat and talked to him forever about his weight loss journey and how he's doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dana Beers, I got to I got to do a beer.
Speaker 6: I beat him, by the way. Thank you to all the people on social media who went frame by frame and figured out though I won by a millisecond on.
Speaker 5: That one person rights. What about uh the Sydney Thomas we met her, it was she's beautiful. She and there are a lot of beautiful people there, a lot of everybody, Yeah, everybody. There are a lot of beautiful people. The older ones really like Mario. Uh.
Speaker 6: There was a moment where Mario and I even said to him as right after we were talking to Gilly, who by the way, was so nice.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow, there we.
Speaker 6: Go but we went. We went to this couch and we're like, hey, man, because can we sit here for a second. And the guy's I was training this morning. I'm a little sore. Turns out he's just this huge UFC fighter tomorrow and I just pull up and sit with him on his couch. Just people everywhere.
Speaker 4: No, it was, it was.
Speaker 5: It was weird. They they had a lot of beautiful people, but you know, everybody was everybody was looking good. He don't look good for one night. Look good. So we'll have I'll talk a little bit more about a couple more things from there later in the show. But U yesterday, Rhese Potter from Lexington Catholic High School became the thirteenth player in the UK class. He ends up kind of replacing Travis Perry. He's a Lexington kid. He had been made I think a pretty big offer from Washington to come play. I was told Hubert Davis. Carolina fans are mad that I said this, but I'll trust my source over random tar heel in your eye person that that Hubert Davis had kind of made him a priority. Uh, I know, Louisville and Yukon had reached out to him. I don't know if they offered him, but uh, he picks K and I would think it almost a significantly I don't will say significantly less, but a less amount because he bled blue. He was offered a campus tour and he said, I don't need one. I grew up here, I know it that down the street. He's down the street, and so he is our new player. Do you like the addition for the roster? I do you know this next season.
Speaker 6: I don't expect him to be in with five minutes left in a tournament game or anything, but he's a good beast to put on the bench and maybe develop over time he can step out shoot the three. I like just the Kentucky connection, especially losing Travis Perry. You're I consider him maybe the thirteenth man in all due respect to him, but it's good to have a Kentucky kid there. Like I said, just just right down the road playing a high school ball Catholic. I'm sure a lot of people know who he is, so it's good to have him on the team. Big local guy, you know.
Speaker 8: I like to see that and lexing the Catholic, like Drew said, you know, in his height seven to one, Yeah, you get your adding depth to Brandon Garrett shot forty three, taking shoot a little bit too, you know, so I like, I like to pick up a local guy to place replace another local guy. So I think it was a game and if and I think the theory is if you get a big that's hurt, he becomes a potential backup and uh who knows, you know, if he plays well. This is probably a two or two year uh thing. I think they still might add one more after some conversations yesterday, but it's a kid that wouldn't be thought to.
Speaker 5: Be an immediate contributor. So I think you have the team for next year as an immediate There's another kid that might be like, let's see what happens with you is as a longer term option.
Speaker 4: But I do think you know you got your group.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: What court is stacked a lot of people. I mean, there's not a better front court in the country.
Speaker 8: Talk about size too, We got a lot more size compared to last season.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it should be fun. Well we'll talk I'm sure going into October about what the what this team ceiling is. But I feel really good about it. I mean I feel like they have one of everything. If Aberdeen and Williams especially can become really really good three point shooters to where it's a regular thing, then I think they got one of everything you want. My only concern is from a team that had so much shooting last year, do you have enough shooting.
Speaker 6: With this group?
Speaker 5: But they got all pretty much all of them can do it. The question is do you have a Kobe braa kind of guy that gets you the shot you need in a pinch. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean we're all being optimistic because we're fans of the team, Like you assume that Jalen Lowe will be a little more efficient than he was at Pittsburgh where his teammates were just were absolute trash and he's having to play hero ball. You get him in a good system with pieces around him, you think he'll be better. My biggest thing is Yellovich, which, by the way, they put out a statement that he's signed and they put the pronunciation guy, and we've been saying it right, even Ron Lemon's been getting his name right.
Speaker 5: Yellovich.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we don't really know how he's going to translate to college ball. There's a chance where he's really good.
Speaker 5: Now, there's a chance he's really good, which is hard to know. There's a chance you have a Z situation where he has like an amazing game and then has two the next game.
Speaker 4: But there, yeah, and we don't know what's really good too.
Speaker 6: So every year there's a freshman in the SEC that wasn't five star that everyone was just like wow. Last year Jeremiah Fears at Oklahoma, he wasn't top fifty. Dude was a stud. Before that, you had Josh Hubbard. I think he was barely top one hundred. I mean, there's a chance Jasper, you know, he's in the twenty five range. There's a chance Jasper surprises people how good he is defensively, He's got to get a little better, but he might be a lights out shore would be well.
Speaker 4: So it should be exciting.
Speaker 5: And your Kentucky basketball team, with the possible exception of one long term piece I think is now here for you.
Speaker 4: It's up first, Shit, Jacob, Jacob, how are you?
Speaker 5: Jacob?
Speaker 4: Eight five nine two eighth twenty two eighty seven?
Speaker 11: Go ahead, Hi, good morning, Matt. I hope you and Drew and Mario had a incredible time in the console area at two quick doms. I just want to mention a couple of great restaurant restaurant options in scott Stale if you have the time, I recommend Ocean forty four, Ran Scene or Cafe Monarch Listen in Scottsville area.
Speaker 5: I just wrote those.
Speaker 11: Lastly, Yeah, those are great, great options I definitely recommend. And lastly, I just want to mention that Drew's acting experience inspired me to sign up and I auditioned this weekend for play later this summer at Lexington Chron's Theater. So ill we do its very.
Speaker 5: Thanks well, thank you very much, and appreciate, appreciate the call. Look at you, you are inspiring the youth, aspiring the people you're you're you're with these people like Gilly was with Mario, dude throw an inspiration.
Speaker 6: Well that that actually meant a lot to me. That uh me embarrassing myself on stage open the door for someone else.
Speaker 5: And I just can't get over how nice Gill is. Okay, you gotta stop, like you really got to stop. Eight two eight oh twenty two eighty seven couple op with lines give us a shout. You know, I know we've been talking a lot the last few days, but I do want to talk to you folks. We just had to We've just had a lot to a lot to say. Are you all did you? Have you all enjoyed your trip here? I know you're going back. It's probably been my favorite trip so far.
Speaker 4: Really, yeah, you're because you were starstruck.
Speaker 8: Yeah, starstruck. You know I've never been out here, and you know this is cool.
Speaker 6: This is cool.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: We can't pass the cactus without Mario getting out and take a picture.
Speaker 5: You really love you. You look at everything with such a childlike wonder. It makes me happy, like you really do like you you have such this I'm being serious, I'm not being sarcastic. You have such a positive outlook and such a positive energy like youll Shannon, He'll sit there and pump you up, you know what I mean, Like like he'll look at me when I come downstairs in my jacket and go, okay, here we go, watch out. This is the and and you know it's like a it's like a little over the top, but it also makes you go, you know what I do.
Speaker 4: Look like you're supposed to sposed to do that, Shannon. That it's good to have somebody like that.
Speaker 5: You need a hype man, We.
Speaker 3: All need a Mario just following us around telling us that day.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right. Well, thanks to Draft Kings. Speaking to DraftKings, you can go to the Draft Kings sports book. Uh, download it. Bet five dollars, get two hundred dollars Draft Kings. You know, hey, what how can you do anything except to say thank you to a company that brings us out here. And with the NBA grind gone, you got the playoffs ready new customers. Bet five dollars to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets. Instantly download the Draft Kings sports book and make it happen. And uh remember with DraftKings, the crown is yours. If you have a gaming problem, call one a here Gamber eighteen plus Kentucky only, lgebt SI supply new customers only, Bone spaks by one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue traditional term Responsible Gaming Resources CEE, DKNG, dot CO, slash audio.
Speaker 4: We will take a break, take.
Speaker 5: Your calls in, get into some other stuff, including could there be a KSR after us we are gone. It's a question that NBC seems to have an answer for it. We'll be right back to Kazar. I really liked this song, Shannon, and you probably didn't even know that. Oh you could guess.
Speaker 3: Glenn Campbell.
Speaker 5: Good, Glenn Campbell, Right, yeah, it is this. I will say this about this area. I could see how somebody would want to live here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: I know, in July and August they say it's like one hundred plus degrees and kind of miserable. But right now, I can't imagine whether you would like more than this every day eighty degrees, like a breeze every single day.
Speaker 6: I mean, that would be amazing, and I think we're hitting it perfectly. I think it was like one hundred to day before we got here. We are here in their best weather. I could live at this resort. I went around the Lazy River yesterday. There's not much I love more than the la but this man loves a lazy rust and there was I did a couple of great laps. Also, I met people from Madisonville and the Lazy River. What are the odds? What a small world? But I mean Madisonville, Kentucky in the wind.
Speaker 4: Also, and there's a law firm that is having their.
Speaker 5: Partner retreat here. Ye, So partner retreat law firms basically bring all the people and They're just like, let's spend three days doing meetings. But really it's just an excuse to make the associates stay and work and they go party for three or four days. So there's a the law firm Goodwin Proctor is here. I don't know anything about Goodwin Proctor. They might be nice people, there might be a good Win Proctor person listening. I'm just gonna tell you, y'all got a law firm full of nerdy people that are just getting hammered in this place. I'm just saying, like it's you, you're you know, I'm right. Like they just walking around here first of all, like they own it. They even brought Shannon. They brought their own pillows to put on the communal sofas.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, like OT buy the pool. All the pillows say Goodwin on it.
Speaker 5: I feel like I work for Goodman Goodwin proc.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's thousands of people here. The only five people that don't work for them are the three of us, Roy Williams and Austin River. Everyone else walking around.
Speaker 5: Williams and Austin Rivers are here, and then every lawyer from Goodwin. So I'm just gonna say this to the people who work for good Win Proctor, who aren't here. Y'all be careful because they spending your money. The signs that they and they're not like print out signs with tape like the signage in the hotels is believable. How much money though, whatever, Goodwin Proctor is spending.
Speaker 4: A lot of money. Good for y'all. So congratulations. Who's up next, John, John?
Speaker 5: Go ahead? John?
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, recall, I got a quick concern and he's gonna question about and I or my concern is that Jayden Quaintens doesn't have to play at Kentucky to be a first round pick in the NBA next year. And I'm not saying he'd be the furious character for doing that, but there's a world where.
Speaker 5: I might think about it. There's a lot of people, though that could apply to that have had wonderful, wonderful careers here. John Wall didn't have to play here, but he has.
Speaker 10: He has an injury though, that's.
Speaker 5: Fine, But why if he if he didn't, I am going to operating under the assumption that not everyone in the world is stupid and that U K knows exactly what you just said and would not have signed him unless they believed firmly that he is going to play.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I do. I do believe that we have Mark Pope's coach and that and that our former coach. But also, uh, do you know how the ni L has structured to the players. Do the players have to play to get paid?
Speaker 4: Because there are no rules?
Speaker 5: Because there are no rules, the deal can be structured however the two parties agree, and uh, you know, I think I can't tell you what what Jaden Quainton's deal or any deal is, because ultimately they're private contracts, at least for now. One day. I think that's going to change. But so I don't know. I would think though a kid coming off an injury, who has the talent you're talking about. I know the person that is negotiating these contracts, and he is an extremely smart person. And then Mark Pope, I know, is extremely smart. I gotta think they've thought through that. Now, if he ends up coming, takes the money, doesn't play, then I'll reserve the right to criticize. But I'm not gonna assume that's the case, considering they know everything you just said, right right?
Speaker 10: Do you know if there is insurance policies too?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 4: Yes, well to protect the school.
Speaker 5: Again, these are not schools that are doing this, these are collectives. Do they have an insurance policy? I don't know. I would assume yeah, because most businesses do. But I don't know if there's nil collective insurance policies. I don't know. I mean, I tell you, usually speaking, if you want insurance, somebody will find a way to sell it to you.
Speaker 4: But I don't know what if there is that. Yeah, I don't know about that.
Speaker 6: With quaintance, I've seen some people like the caller, they're wondering if it's gonna be a shad and sharp situation. But I think he actually has to prove that he's healthy. I think the injury makes it more likely they has to play because they knew what he was before the injury. But now he needs to go out and show I'm still good. I recovering.
Speaker 4: So much of what he was good was his athleticist.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you don't have that, then that that would be a I think he has to go out and do it to make that.
Speaker 5: You're probably right. Who's next, Parker, Parker, Go ahead, Parker.
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, real quick, I want to take you too much of your time about at the end of the hour here when it comes to at the end of the season for everybody, usually they go on like a signing tour or like a farewell tour. Have you guys heard anything from the guys that.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it?
Speaker 7: Thanks guy.
Speaker 5: I'm hoping they'll do something because obviously I'd like to do something at the bar. But I think what's probably changed this a little bit, Drew, is that now they make money and they're signing tours.
Speaker 4: They probably used to make these kids.
Speaker 5: I don't know, fifty sixty seventy thousand dollars maybe As for the less popular players, I just don't know if these dudes like, do you like, do you want to come to ksbar and make four or five thousand dollars to sign for a night? If you just made a million dollars, I mean I would, but I could see why there would be kids that wouldn't want, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know, they would finish their careers and they'd go to Pikeville, Madisonville, owens Bro they'd be all over the state and it was a bit of a grind. And as you're saying, nothing to make it telling like they don't want to do that, but they've got a lot of money now and other deals in place that they don't really and I would say have to do.
Speaker 5: That for a lot of those players in Cow's era where they were really like like Anthony Davis knew he was about to be the number one pick, right, I mean, Devin Booker knew he was gonna be picked.
Speaker 4: Hy.
Speaker 5: You know, guys like Amari and Jackson Robinson, they need to go have good workouts and stuff, not just for NBA futures, but even for overseas futures, like they need they they kind of have to grind. And so that time where they could have gone to Anisonville or Hopkinsville and signed, it might be to go work with with a trainer.
Speaker 8: Feel like they're probably focused on different things right now, draft process, overseas process, rather than probably signing.
Speaker 4: It really depends on the player.
Speaker 5: Can we say the one person we met last night Mario that did not like us?
Speaker 6: Who wasn't I know exactly who you're about to say.
Speaker 5: L Shan Shannon, I didn't know this was a person, but apparently there's a former U of L player, what's his name? Chris Brickley Chris Brickley, who trains the NBA guys, huge following, huge following, like, look him up, Shannon, Chris Brickley. He's got like a million.
Speaker 8: Followers on the tatted guy all tatted. He's in the NBA two K for the young folks. Yeah, he's in the NBA two K just because he trains the guys. Do you see shann all Right? So he was there.
Speaker 5: I didn't know who he was. Mario was like, Hey, that dude right there played at U of L and so I thought, well, give me a Kentucky guy. So I went up to him. And I have seen this before where I walk up and it takes a second for somebody to place me and then they're like, oh, I don't like you.
Speaker 4: And he played at Louisville eight.
Speaker 5: To eleven, which is when I was on Louisville. The hardest was probably that era. Right, he was on the stripper he was on the team. He was on the stripper era team And I said, I'm Matt Jones KSR. And he gave me one of those I know who you are. He said that, He's like, I know who you are. I was like, oh, okay, it's like that now. Then he was very nice, but it was clear true that he was, like, you're the Kentucky dude who used to run that mouth. He didn't. He was completely nice, but it was clear that's a dude who knows KSR. Not for positive reasons.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was kind of behind you all when that conversation started, and you could almost see his face like the switch, like wait a minute, I know who this guy is. He was nice talk tomorrow for a while. Wasn't as nice as Gilly, who was very nice tomorrow, but he definitely knew KSR and from uh when we were at our not worse, but when the two fass were going right at it.
Speaker 5: If you're telling me, when did I talk the most trash to Louisville, it was eight to eleven because they were down cal had just got really nine ten eleven twelve. You know, then they won in thirteen, But nine ten eleven twelve is when I talked the most trash, and that's when he played. He had the look of somebody who remembers that we'll be right back Sciazar