Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome back to the Hammer Territory podcast. This is episode four one three. My name is Brad Rowland. I'm joined on a Sunday evening of a good friend, Scott Coleman. Scott, it's not quite the first half, because it's more than a half, but it's the All Star break man. How are you hello, Brad? I'm doing all right.
Speaker 2: You know, this has been a wild ride to this point for the Atlanta Braves. Of course, the first two and a half months or so of the year were nearly perfect and the last six weeks have made us want to pull off of our hair out and just some frustrating games, but the Braves did find a way to salvage the series finale on Sunday. So the vibes going into the break are nice after a win over the Cardinals, and you know what, sure, there are some real problems with this team, some concerns going forward. But to be objective, if you would have told us on opening day as the boys took the field, and you would have said, hey, Brad Rowland, the Braves are going to be fifty five and forty at the break and they will have a two game division lead. I think you would obviously take it, and let's just hope that they start to play better, because we know since about the first week of June it's been a steady decline ever since that really great start.
Speaker 1: I strongly agree with that premise that I would have taken fifty five and forty and I want to talk more about the state of affairs right now, but first let us mix it up. Engineered by our friends at fasten All Scott, there's like fifty nine percent of the season in the books right now, edging towards sixty, nearing one hundred games. The Braves record is strong. They are not playing well for the last five weeks, six weeks something like that, so all that kind of bumps into each other. You could say, if you want it to be an optimist, which I rarely am, but I'm capable of it. They did win three the last five heading into the break, it was kind of a up and down roller coaster, and you and I joke before we started recording, but it's one hundred percent true. The vibes are, you know, clearly better than they would have been had they lost today. As we'll discuss more in depth later on in the podcast. But the division lead is what it is. I want to start with something that's intentionally broad, but also we'll kind of maybe tell the story of how you feel beyond the record. I looked it up just now. Our friends at Fangrafts are giving the Braves a fifty six point seven percent chance to win the division as of right this second, on Sunday evening, July twelfth, and it's ninety point five percent to make the playoffs. Part of that's I'm sure the Phillies have a negative run differential, which is insane for a team that is like ten or eleven games or five hundred. But putting that to the side, I'll just ask you, does that seem right to you? Which you picked the Braves to win the division knowing what we know so far they're in the lead. The recent performance is much more toward the Phillies. I'm filibustering to have you think about this. What say you on July twelfth?
Speaker 2: Man, you really put me on the spot. I mean, if if I didn't know the Fangrafts odds, I would say it's like fifty to fifty for the division, and I would say it's you know, eighty five ninety percent that they make the playoffs. I will say my answer will be significantly influenced based on how the next three weeks go with the trade deadline. If it's a quiet deadline, then I would obviously be very concerned because I don't think the roster of available players is good enough to get there. I don't think you would be able to win the division. Maybe they could get into like the second or third world card spot, but man, it would be very thin and if they don't make reinforcements at the deadline. That being said, I do think they're going to make some kind of acquisitions in the next few weeks. But you know what, it's those numbers feel right to me, just one more time. Ninety percent on playoffs, fifty six percent of winning the division. I do think the Phillies are a good team, but they have run impossibly hot in like one run games. They have the best record in one run games by a mile in the majors. That's something I think generally will aggress with time. And on the other hand, the Braves have been pretty poor in one run games and in extra innings and things like that. But at the same time, not to be a broken record. There are very obvious, glaring problems with this roster right now. I would like to think they're going to be addressed, But until I see those transactions come across, I think Braves fans everywhere should naturally kind of have.
Speaker 1: Their guard up. Yeah, and you know, we'll be the first to say, we look at the data and the results matter. Like all those wins that the Braves got that maybe they didn't necessarily you know, earns the wrong word, they weren't playing quite as well as that, they all still count, and the Phillies wins still count, even though, like you said, the Phillies are nineteen and six in one run games and they're four and three dextra innings. The Braves, by contrast, are eleven and thirteen in one run games and two and five extra innings. That's how you lead to a you could say expected or pythagoree. And if you want to get super advanced. When you look at the run differentials, the Braves are like ten games ahead of the Phillies and all of these expected standings. But yet that doesn't matter right now. I mean, it might be an indicator I tend to think, and that I would pick the Braves to win the division in part because of that, I think if you look at the team quality, it's fair to say the team quality at this very moment, without Ronald and without a lot of the rotation stuff like, is not as good as it would have been a few weeks ago. But I think I would still probably take the Braves to win the division, given the two game lead, given the underlying data, given that Ronald will be back fairly soon, and Robert, as we discussed many times, Robert, Robert Suarez, like Alex, has to do it. But the Braves do have money that we know is available for them to spend at the deadline, Like it would be a little bit, don't. I don't tend to forecast trades as much like I don't bank on them. Trades are always hard to make and people tend to underestimate that. But can you imagine Alex trying to explain not making moves post deadline this time around, when everyone which by the way, he did this to himself too, because he when they talked about profar, he explained that, like, hey, we can use this money at the deadline to add to add to the team, and that's one hundred percent true, he's not lying, but if they don't use it, it would be tough to sell, so they have a much easier Like this is the one time I think where I would actually kind of bank on them, adding I don't know what they're gonna do to add, but like I will be honestly shocked if they don't add some pretty something decently significant. Maybe I'll be wrong, and I'm usually the skeptic on this stuff, but because of the money thing more than anything else, Like I think they just have money. Bring a hole in their pocket that they're going to have to spend.
Speaker 2: If Alex Nthopolis does not make a handful of moves at the deadline, he is going to get eviscerated by everybody, fans, media, I mean us this podcast. Oh man, if we get through the deadline and like there was like one half asked move, we will go nuclear on him because there's no excuse. They have the money, they have a farm system that's had a phenomenal last year or so. We're also going to talk about the draft hall in a minute and be sure to stick around for that. But Alex will get eviscerated if he does not go out and make moves. That being said, that does not mean that he has to go out and acquire kerk Scouoble and Jordan Alvarez and our oldest Chapman in the next three weeks. I know that's that's unfair expectations, but you can't tell me that with the money and prospects available to him, that he couldn't go out and in earnest really give this team a chance. Add a good number two starter to really stabilize the rotation. Add maybe a right handed bat, left handed bat. Again, I'm not looking for your Don Alvarez or a superstar Xyz, but you know, like a good left handed hitting outfielder in a good right handed platoon bat would do wonders for this lineup right now. Those are things that you can acquire without having to give up Eric Hartman, Cam Kaminetti and Tate South the scene. So sure, there's an excuse, there's a reason to not make any drade that comes across your desk, But I really, I mean man alive. If Alex is not aggressive and doesn't try to give this team a chance after the down past couple of years this team has had, it's it's gonna be ugly hours, and I really hope we don't get to that point.
Speaker 1: I agree, and I mean, I'm not even gonna argue with you. I think that there have been times in the last couple of years where I'll say I am not we I have been accused of being a little softer on Alex than some and I think Alex is a good executive and that seems to be like controversial in some circles. But even I would say, like, you can't not add, you just can't. This is not a situation where you can't. I mean, if they were out of it like they were last year, sure can get away with it then, but that's not gonna be the case. Even if the Braves lose every game for the next two and a half weeks, they won't be out of it at that point in time.
Speaker 2: So even twenty twenty four, you know, the only move was Jorge Solayer and Luke Jackson, and they didn't really give anything up to acquire those guys. But that team had just a laundry list of injuries that were kind of limping. There was tough like I understood in twenty four that was not a great roster, Like there were some real issues with the construction. That's not the case for this year's team, and like there's even though this team has issues, there are still some really strong components of a October team that can go deep in the playoffs if a few things click and if and the ball bounces their way. But you have to go out and make a couple of moves to give a team a chance.
Speaker 1: For sure, I totally agree, and we wanted to go a little bit bigger picture that we normally would at the top of this podcast. Because it is an All Star break, it's a natural reset point. We do have the draft talk about, and that's been busy the last couple days, and for the life of me, I don't know why the drafts happened on Saturday in the middle of games and a kinds of things. That's that's baffling to me and others. But regardless, the Braves are in a good spot. It doesn't may not feel that way. We've been the first to rack on the team for the last five weeks or so. We're basically, as people listen to this on Monday will be three weeks away from the deadline exactly. It's Monday, August third, it's three weeks away, so it's power to the medal from this point forward, with the probable exception of the next few days when everybody kind of takes a reset around the All Star Game. But yeah, good time, TikTok. We're feeling decent. We're not We're not feeling as be as we were a month ago. That's that would be impossible to even salt to ourselves. But uh, I pick you the Raves to win the division. Scott definitely hedged way more than I did. I want that out there right now on the record, Scott Scott was hedging, and I was not just saying that out loud. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: I will say they make I will say they win the division. It's going to be a lot of butt clenching and a lot of cover your eyes and say your prayer. I'll say they win the division by a game or two. Maybe that's the blind fan optimist in me. And again I think I reserve the right to change my opinion based on the trade.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, look there, we don't have to do the blind fan thing. All you have to do if you want to just have a totem poll to lean on The Braves have a They Brace have been one hundred and two runs better than the Phillies this season. The Braves are plus ninety two. The Phillies are minus ten. Even if they were if you think we're being homers, that's fine. That number tells you something. I don't know what it tells you, but it tells you. There has been better than the Phillies the season so far, whether the standing say that or not. So there you go. We've reset things, Scott. We're fifty seven, what say, fifty nine percent of the way through the season. There's you know, there's games. There's no more nor more games till Friday. It's four days with people getting in fights. You know, you and I can laugh about this now. There will be a lot of social media fights over the next four days, and you have the Brace have an off day. Something happens where people getting mad at each other. Now you have four days of that. So they play again on Friday, so buckle up for that.
Speaker 2: Well and fans aside, let's hope on a serious note that the boys are able to enjoy the next four days off. You know, you do have a couple of guys is going to Philadelphia for the All Star Game. But yeah, enjoy yourself, get away from the game, you know, mental reset, physical reset. Do whatever makes you happy. Spend time with your family, your kids, go to the lake, go to the beach, go on a mini vacation, anywhere in the world, as long as you're back at seven to fifteen pm on Friday afternoon or Friday night. Yeah, but let's just kind of reset. You have four days away from the game, and then let's get back to winning baseball games the way we saw this team win so many of them the first couple of months of the year.
Speaker 1: That's well said. And in moments we'll talk about the MLB Draft because there's a lot of discuss there. First, we want to thick our friends at fasten All. Fasten All Industrial Supplies Innovated Solutions. If you want to learn more, visit Fascinall dot com.
Speaker 3: Many people have this problem. I want to eat healthy. I have the willpower, I don't have the time and the organization. I need help. What do you do?
Speaker 4: I mean you go to factor. I got two boys that are looking for the games, and they always come in the house.
Speaker 1: I'm looking for food.
Speaker 4: Now they have actual healthy food that is great for them, and you know what, it's ready in the fridge for them to pop in and make it right away.
Speaker 3: And they have meals built around your goals. It could be weight loss, overall nutrition gains, more protein, fresh never frozen, over one hundred rotating weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean and Asian. I get all kinds of different salads from Factor that I love, quick easy. They can be ready in two minutes. Head to Factor meals dot com. Slash Foul fifty off and use code Foul fifty off to get fifty percent off and free daily greens per box with new subscription only while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: All right, Scott let us discuss the twenty twenty six MLB draft, which again happened this weekend in the middle of games and things. We always give this disclaimer. I feel like we have to do it right now, neither you nor I. I don't want to speak for you, but I think I can in this one. Are MLB draft experts. We're not grinding tape on high school film or college film. Maybe maybe you have been in the last few days. Scott maybe I'm wrong about this. Have you been watching every single prospect?
Speaker 2: I have been watching every single prospect who had his name called by the Atlanta Braves in the last forty eight outs. But other than that, no, I lean on people smarter than me, And look, we are fortunate there are some phenomenal people in Braves Country who follow the draft, follow the minor leagues. We also have friends at Baseball America who do this for their you know, the their bread and butter is the MLB Draft. So always like to hear from those folks and get their opinions on how the Braves did in the draft.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it is. We're cramming like everybody else is. Now. We intentionally talk to Carl's Claso Baseball America, former co host of ours last week on the show to got to get a little bit of a preview of things, and he actually kind of called a shot on a guy that we'll talk about in a second when he brought up a player that we asked them about. But yeah, Rave reviews, I mean, that's I don't want to It's not I'm not trying to shift to focus to anybody else other than us, But like people that I trust more than I trust myself on this. Really liked what the Braves have done over the last couple of days, and I do take stock in that. I do take some solace in that it makes sense to me. They made five picks in the first four rounds. They went two outfielders and then three high school pitchers back to back to back. Every time the Braves go probably under slot anywhere. Some fans get really angry about that as and call them cheap or something, even though they're spending the exact amount of money that everybody else is spending. It's not a cost savings thing, it's it's a strategy thing. But I guess we should just start at the number nine overall pick, which is outfielder from Virginia, AJ Grossia. Is that what we're going with on that pronunciation? Is that? Is that accurate? Scott?
Speaker 2: I believe I watched some clips of AJ Grossia. Yeah, really, I mean an advanced hitter, and I think that's absolutely why Grossia found himself in the top ten advanced hit tool has a good looking swing from the left side. It's pretty pure, and all three years he was at Virginia and then he was a duke all three years he earned All ACC honors, was a big time performer, had more walks than strikeouts this past year, hits for power, hits for average, So if you're looking for that carrying tool. While he's still a pretty well rounded prospect overall, Grossia can really hit the ball. And I know Matt Powers who covers the draft for Battery Power, and Matt's been on our podcast before. Matt was like over the moon for the pick of AJ Grossia. There's also a chance that he will sign for a little bit less than the slot bonus amount for the pick at number nine, which only helps because then you could add more high school talent that tends to cost a little bit more in the later rounds. But again, I don't want to pretend like I was watching all of five hundred of AJ Grossia's college played appearances. But people who are smarter than us and who follow this really like him. And he came in at number fourteen on Baseball America's big Board coming into the draft. Yeah yeah, and that saving us could be the way that they are able to sign for instance, Jensen hirsch Corn and we'll talk about in a second, a guy who's committed to a big program at LSU, like who probably is gonna cost more than that pick slot will cost.
Speaker 1: That's it's all strategic. It's not cost savings. They're gonna spend all the money that they can. I promise you they'll spend every time that they're allowed to spend in the draft. It's just the way they have to allot it. So yeah, I mean everything, I like everything I've seen. I like, I should say from from Gracia. You know, I'm a big I would lean to hit tool being something that is valuable. You can never have too much to vet on your roster. So certainly that's a popular pick, I think with good reason. The other first rounder is out for our Carter Beck from Indiana State, who was less heralded in some circles. But I think Carlos talks about this either on TV or online somewhere that I saw about like how he was really rising fast with teams in this process. He was rated a little bit lower on some of the big boards, so people kind of clung to that I saw, and we're getting mad about it. But I don't view that. I mean, it's obviously he's an interesting pick in that Indiana State is not on the radar, that's not a huge program, Like the competition level is interesting. What did you make of carter Back as an investment. Yeah, kind of a.
Speaker 2: Cool story with carter Back. I mean, you know, again, no shade to Indiana State, which I'm sure is a fine baseball program, but you know, especially in the NIL era, it's amazing that one of the powerhouses didn't scoop this guy up because he's extremely coolsy a bit of a late riser in the process. As you mentioned, I know MLB Pipeline had to note that Quarterback is a favorite of analytically minded teams who love his contact rates and exit velocities. Also has a good reputation as being a gamer, somebody who will run through a wall and catch any ball that he can get even close to. So yeah, it was kind of a surprise pick, I think just because he was you know, in the sixties to nineties on a lot of big boards. But you know what, again, it's all part of the calculation with what his draft slot bonus pool is going to be and if the Braves who are Indie an analytically inclined team or one of a handful of them who were on him. Yeah, it's you know what, it's a tools the outfield. There are a lot to dream on and we'll see how quickly he's able to move up through the ranks as a college bat, but one who was playing at a much lower level than maybe.
Speaker 1: The SEC or the ACC. Yeah, and I was reading again all as the second hand, I was reading that maybe he has the potential to stick in center field, Like that's not a lock, that's not why you're taking he's more it's more of the bat that people are interested in. But he's a good athlete to the point where he's played, and you know, most guys are playing center at this level because you're the best athlete on a team or whatever. But there's there's the idea that he may be able to play, if not full time center field, maybe he's someone you can play be your backup centerfielder, like wait on the line and you'll be at starting corner. Guy who play who kind of plays center on a pinch kind of thing, which has value in itself obviously looking way in the future at that point in time.
Speaker 2: But yeah, in athletics data, yeah, not to cutch up. Sorry on a j Grassia as well, is probably going to move to a corner outfield spot. Yeah, but he might be a place in center field, just depending on kind of how he physically fills out and the way he you know, ultimately adjusts to the major league or to the professional game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And again we're talking about these guys are college bats, so they're they're a little bit less far away than like high school pictchers. For example. They were about to talk about one of the things about the MLB Draft that makes it so such a challenge is that guys are not close to the majors most of the time, and it's a lot of projection, even more so than other sports. And but college bats are some of the faster guys that you might see getting into the higher levels of the minors. And I know those those two guys in particular, I was seeing guys like Gore Vadak and Matt Power. Is like saying, these guys are like right away going to be in the top you know, ten to twelve in the Brave system like day one, which is you know, that doesn't mean anything necessarily a big picture, nor is it's ay huge surprise. But when you talk about like the guys that we've talked about plenty that are in the system already, slotting those guys up as high as some other guys in the system right away before you see them as not a small thing here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have to see. Every year battery power dot Com refreshes their top thirty prospect lists for the Braves. If folks don't read those, please do. I mean, the team at Battery Power does fantastic work covering the farm system. But Gore of the Deck, who has been on the show before, I believe, said that he expects aj Grossia to be the number two position player in the system, behind now top twenty pick Eric or top twenty prospect Eric Cartman. And then I think he had beck in kind of like the back ten of the organization's top prospect list. But yeah, I mean, you know what, there's a lot to dream on here, a lot of talent, and we'll just kind of hope that they make the most of these two first round picks, which is obviously something you generally don't get to have in most of your drafts.
Speaker 1: For sure. The other guys on Saturday, in the first handful of rounds, they went high school pitching, and this is going the way that they did in the first two rounds allow for them to spend more. That's the theory. At least, let's we expect expectation. I know there was already some like, hey, are they gonna be able to sign one of these guys at Hirschcorn And I think Carlos others were like, another's a reason to think they won't sign these. I mean, you do this with some knowledge of what you're going to do. But the first pick beyond the top two college bats is Caden McCarthy out of Vermont. So I'm gonna cue this up right now. When we talked to Carlos Calaso last week, I think it was me one of us asked Carlos for a like none first round, like one of his guys that he likes. He talks about a few players, but he talked actually about Caden McCarthy. So here's that clip from last week from Carlos.
Speaker 5: Caden McCarthy is a right handed pitcher out of Vermont, and I think that in and of itself is kind of unique. We don't often have Vermont prospects ranked on the BA five hundred at all, let alone a guy who we have right in the middle of the third round range. She's a six foot right hander who's been up to ninety nine miles per hour. It feels like every high school pitcher in this class as a fastball that gets into the mid nineties. But he's a dynamic mover on the mound. He has elites spin capacity, I think a chance for multiple above average breaking balls, and even talking about him now, I feel like ten years ago that profile is like slam dunk first rounder, but just because like everyone throws hard and everyone has a banger breaking ball. These days, it doesn't do quite as much. But I think his combination of youth. He's also a reclass from twenty twenty seven, so he's young for the class as well. He's another name that I like, kind of in that third round range for us, and.
Speaker 1: The Braves have been willing to go into like some cold weather areas the other teams may not. And you know, obviously, part of the thing about him being from Vermont that makes it surprising is that there's not a whole lot of year round baseball being played in Vermont. So guys got and that happens sometimes sometimes actually guys slip further than they should. You know, Mike Trout is from the Northeast, and he fell way too far in the first round because he was there was stuff like, oh, he doesn't played that much baseball and stuff. So I don't know about Kate McCarthy being this fantastic player, but he throws really hard, like you heard from Carlos. And for Carlos to unprompt, well, I guess prompted, but like we didn't say, hey, talk about Kad McCarthy. He brought him up personally, which means he likes him and I trust Carlos, So yeah.
Speaker 2: Me too. I think I texted you right after the Braves took McCarthy. I was like, holy, that's the guy that Carlos was hyping up in our in our show five days ago. So yeah, that's cool again. I mean, high school pitching, everybody knows, but it's such a crapshoot, man, Like there're so many things have to go right. They're seventeen, eighteen years old. I mean, you know, pencil in twenty twenty nine to twenty thirty, we'll have a better idea of if these guys are going to stick. But go with the talent, go with the upside. I really did like the strategy of going with two more projectable college hitters in the first round who are generally seen as safer, more likely to get to the majors pretty quick, especially Garcia. I think he could be in the majors maybe, and I don't know the start of twenty twenty eight if all goes well. But regardless, you had three high school pitchers with your second, third, and fourth round picks. We mentioned McCarthy and then the maybe the most exciting pick in that group was Jensen Hirshcorn, who was the third round pick, A big, big, big time high school prospect who has committed to LSU. He is six foot seven, has a big time fastball and a wipeout slider, and both are advanced pitches, especially at his age. It sounds like there might be a little bit of a signability concern with Hirshcorn. Of course, LSU very prominent college baseball program. Usually these things work out. It would, to be honest, it'd be a bit of a miss if the Braves cannot get Hirshcorn to sign. I think he ultimately will, but that was an exciting signing for sure, and someone who I mean, if he has a good debut in pro ball over the next six to twelve months, could find himself in like the back end of a top one hundred prospect list. He's that kind of talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it was maybe it was in a reply to somebody I can't remember on on Twitter, but I'm pretty sure Carlos said there's no like you know, obviously there is no guarantee that he signed. But yeah, I just found out. He says, quote no reason at all that think that they won't sign him at the moment, so presumably there's a plan in place. You're right, it is a big miss if they don't get him signed. But this is this is why you go under slot. This is the whole reason why you at least prioritize some savings early so you can really kind of spend lavishly, the same thing the Rives did last year, by the way, where they got a couple of high impact guys who most teams couldn't take in the second, third, fourth round because they couldn't afford to pay them. The Braves had the money and they were able to sign them. Briggs Mackenzie, I believe was the one that we talked about the most last year the Braves ended up paying way over slot for who's a big time prospect, So I like the decision. Obviously they have to sign them, but if they do, clearly well from what we could possibly know right now about a prep arm like I'm intrigued. You know, the frame and the fastball and the slider alone is like, all right, I'll gets you drafted and get your paid, so sign me up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the kind of high school pitching prospect I want to be. After six foot seven, big fastball committed to LSU. Clearly a lot of people like this kid, so that's exciting. And then the fourth round pick, which was the final pick of Saturday, was called Dennis Believe, a Florida kid. Talented. It was a bit of a late riser in the process. I think he was in the two hundreds on a lot of the big boards and of talent. So a talented kid. Again, that's kind of why you presumably, if you believe the reporting the Braves are probably going to cut underslot deals with their first their two first round picks. Is that you have then the money and the financial flexibility to sign these high school kids who presumably have pretty nice nil packages waiting them if they choose to go that route. And obviously the appeal of not only the money that comes with being an overslought draft pick towards the top of the draft, but also, you know, the appeal of being with the Atlanta Braves is something that should win out most of the time kids and ultimately signed with the team, especially at the top of the draft. But yeah, some talent, some promising kids here a long way to go with high school arms, but we'll cross our fingers and hope for some big debuts and I don't know, twenty thirty, we'll do a podcast about them. Brad, how does that sound?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the love more picks made today. I believe it was either Carlos or someone else at Baseball America said that the signing rate second on like day two is like ninety eight plus percent. So basically, if you draw somebody, you expect them to be on under contract pretty soon. The Braves took five catchers. That was kind of the only big note from the rest of the draft that I wanted to talk about with you. That's a lot of catchers in one draft. I have no problem with it. Catchers are hard to find so spray the board, I guess, but would you make What did you make of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a few people noted a lot of the catchers in the Brave system right now, we're all like thirty years old and not exactly prospects. And sure, you're probably not looking to strike gold with the eighteenth round pick of a catcher, but yeah, five catchers in a draft, sure, and influx of younger guys. If one of them gets even close to being to the major leagues, you're coming out ahead. And of course, the Braves do have a really good history of developing catching over I mean, shoot, thirty five years at this point, basically my entire life, the Braves have had elite catching, So yeah, that was interesting. They also took a local kid, I believe Brad. They took a Georgia Tech outfielder in the ninth round, So cool, cool story there. But you know what, overall, we'll see kind of what the experts right in the next couple of days about the draft. But it feels like a good haul to me. I like the strategy and the plan, and let's hope that they hit big on aj Grossi and he's able to make an impact relatively soon and maybe some of these toolsy high school kids will develop and pan out. And of course carter back, the second first round pick, has a lot of traits as well that are interesting. And you know, ultimately I will let you know definitively in seven years if this was a good draft or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe in a couple of years we could look up and it'll be a Michael Harris, Ronald Acunya, a j Grossia outfield and we'll just be levitating. And because I mean they would actually have resigned Ronald and all the things, so there anyway, that's another discussion on another day. But no, I you know one more time that the class seems to be well regarded by people that know more than we do, and I will just lean to that point it to that and be patient. Everybody that will be draft is a very very long term exercise. It's you know, there's no instant gratification. Every once in a while you'll get a guy that's like a college bullpen guy who's up in a couple months, but the vast majority of guys are going to be a few years away. So yes, be picture everybody. We'll see you get.
Speaker 2: Twenty picks twenty picks for a reason. It's a needle and a haystack, and who knows. Sometimes the strike goal Derek Cartman was, of course a twentieth round pick. I mean, that's like a once a generation type of gold strike if he continues to pan out and everything. But yeah, let's hope for the best and hopefully in a few years we start to hear these guys have their.
Speaker 1: Names called absolutely all right, scot before we go back to the major league side of things and talk about the weekend a little bit, plus the latest news and notes. First though, a word from a partner's on today's podcast.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings.
Speaker 1: It's just another.
Speaker 6: Reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast to opt in for daily dingers, make your free pick on Who's hitting a homer? Playball Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller Tex one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Scott. The Brives did play baseball this weekend. The draft was the biggest item, but they played three games. That's our last episode, which I was not on, but I believe I believe you were on. Correct? Was it last episode? And Stephen right on Thursday night we did.
Speaker 2: Yes, we recapped a nice series win for the Braves in Pittsburgh, and then they followed it up with two maddening losses on Friday and Saturday night, which is very much in Braves fashion. But at least they won on Sunday and found a way to go into the break on a higher note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we exchanged texts you and I this morning before they played, and it was like if they lose today. Do we talk about the games at all? Is it just going to be a draft podcast and maybe some yelling into the void will be quicker than usual, I would say on the game breakdowns on this pot if that's okay with you, Scott, because you're really in charge, everyone knows that.
Speaker 2: I think we need to talk for about eighty five minutes. On Fridays two to one loss, which also featured the three three hour rain de light. It was shocking they were able to get that game in on Friday night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Some of the video that I was seeing during the rain delay, it was like, there's no way they're going to play this game like it was flooded. You got dugouts flooded and just absolute madness. What's happens to restart? It was like eleven forty eastern or something insane believe the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the game ended. I think the game ended at twelve forty five, like after midnight local time, like two in the morning on the East coast. Yeah, it was wild one.
Speaker 1: I was fortunate to be in a rare moment. I'm actually in Las Vegas covering NBA Summer League, so I was actually all Pacific time, where you tend to dwell, so I was able to like monitor it. I would have been long asleep. I'm not afraid to say that. If I was at home, I'm not stay up to the end of that game.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny, funny you say that, because I think the Braves were asleep for the better part of Friday night. We'll breeze through it. I mean the positive, I mean, Chris Sale looked fantastic. It's a bummer that the rain wiped out a Chris Sales start because he was I mean three innings, two hits, one walk, five strikeouts and he was just cooking Saint Louis's hitters. That was a bummer. And I mean the offense was the problem, as it's been quite a bit lately. Only run was an Austin Riley RBI single up the middle of the fifth inning. It was like, Okay, maybe they're going to get out of this after sitting around and playing cards for three hours. But the offense was basically non existent from that point on. And two just frustrating. Both Michael Harris and Drake Baldwin just missed homers. They were both you know, five feet more and the balls were going over the fence. Both of them were caught, and of course the cherry on top was a backup catcher, uh from the Cardinals. What was his name, like Jimmy Crooks or something like that, had a five hundred yeah, five hundred ops coming in and he hits a solo homer in the eighth inning that just cleared the wall. Because of course, it did very much on brand for how the last six weeks have gone. But yeah, if folks did not stay up late into Friday night Saturday morning, you did not miss a whole lot after the rain delay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the only solace. It would have been worse if they had like blown up on the pitching side and lost the game post Sale, because like at least you could say, you know, it's brutal to lose a Chrysales start, like you said, But even if Sale was able to keep pitching, they might have lost the game anyway they scored one run, you know what I mean, it would have been worse. It was like, hey, the bullping came in and just imploded because and that cost them the game. Because because Chrisale, we got three innings. That's that's been small solace. But but I mean, Victor Maderos was probably the only thing we're talking about other than what the offense is doing nothing in that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, Victor Maderos might deserve a longer look in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: I mean you said it will, I'll go behind the scenes. You sent a message to our group chat and you were like, this, this guy's nasty. Who is this? I was hilarious. Yeah, it's just funny. A tone of it was just like this that was somewhat surprised, somewhat intrigue, just like, oh, this guy's kind of nasty. Here we go.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know, Maderos threw the ninth inning in Pittsburgh on Thursday and it was really impressive. Like even I think Stephen noted it on the podcast. He was like, damn, Victor Madero's came in and was humming ninety nine mile an hour fastballs. He was really impressive again on Friday, pitching back to back two perfect innings, three strikeouts. He was humming ninety eight milli an hour sinkers. He has a ninety three mili an hour cutter, and then he works in that big sweeper that kind of catches hitters off guard because everything else is coming in so fast, so you know, I think there's a reason I believe the Braves kept Madero's up in the big league bullpen even after he pitched back to back days. I don't think he hit the Gwinnett shuttle, so that's probably a sign that they have liked what they have seen. And you know, we know how good the back end of the bullpen has been, but the middle innings have been kind of shaky, especially lately, and Madero sure looks like a guy who deserves some more chances to really establish himself as one of kind of the middle tier of arms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's twenty five. I mean he had a couple of I think it was like twenty innings or something like that with the Angels and the Majors that were pretty rough before this, But that's sample size, doesn't really me anything. He might have just not been ready. The stuff looks good, and that's the thing. I mean, I won't know if he's going to be good or not. I just got to see more. But the stuff was, to your point, pretty electric looking. So maybe Diamond the rough they fixed something. And the Angels are kind of notoriously not the best organization so if they could just maybe they got him out of there and they fixed him a little bit, and that'd be fun. If he's something we'll find out.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And I mean to me, the offense was abismo. As we talked about, I kind of give him a pay as after sitting around for three hours. The Cardinals offense was equally lifeless after the break. I think though Saturday's loss was even more frustrating because they didn't have a three hour rain to lay excuse. I mean, the offense, other than a Mauricio Dubon solo homer, was just null and void of anything of note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't know it at the time, but Lopez allowed to throw on home run in the first inning and that was the end of the game. Yep, I mean we did. I mean they could have come back, they just it didn't matter. They scored one run. That was going to be the end. Lopez, I know you got some flak for in the moment negative bernald A. Lopez tweet that you said after the hope after the I know, so you got some flack uh for that. People are mad at you for taking out on the on the rotation. I can't remember what it was. It was just funny because Lopez was fine after that, but people were agreeing with me. What do you mean, flack?
Speaker 2: Everyone knows that. I mean, Ronaldo, I saw some flack. It's fine to be clear, to be well. But they can they can do what they want to do. That's fine. It's Twitter.
Speaker 1: I'm just rolling you up on the podcast. That's all I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: If you don't like the takes, click the unfollowed buttons. It's all good. I promise you I will I will sleep all the same. But yeah, you know what, to Ronaldo Lopez's credit, he did settle in. He was after the first inning. Yeah, he gave up the three run homer, which, knowing the state of things right now, that ultimately cost them. But yeah, Ronaldo settled in, ended up giving four runs, I believe, five innings, which has kind of been the cap for him. But yeah, you know what, Ronaldo has been better since he rejoined the rotation. I think you feel pretty good about him. In no world should he be a number two starter, and that's what he kind of is for this team right now. But yeah, it was another encouraging start from Ronaldo and hopefully he's able to carry this over into the second half and be just kind of a stabilizing force. Ideally behind another starter, they're able to go out and acquire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he made three starts in July so far. He allowed six runs and fifteen innings. He got twenty ground balls, fourteen strikeouts. Like he's been He's been way better. The home run is the one. It all counts, so handwaving that. But he gave him a chain. That wasn't the reason I lost the game, necessarily that they could not score runs without, which is not pylon anymore. Other than that, Owen Murphy look good on Saturday in relief. Yeah, that was notable. In the midst of the offense cratering there was just like it was with Maderos on Friday. You found something to cling onto late in the game.
Speaker 2: On Saturday, three really good innings from Owen Murphy. And you know, the fastball is really good for Owen, Like that fastball is major league ready and can get big leaguers out. I think ultimately, what's gonna decide if Murphy's gonna be able to stick in the rotation or in the bullpen, or whatever his future may hold. It's just the secondary offerings. Can he refine them? Can he throw them for strikes? Can he get big league big league hitters out multiple times because the fastball is going to carry you only so far. But really encouraging, And he also saved the bullpen. He technically gave the team a chance to hang in there and try to come back, even though they didn't really do a whole lot. I guess Joey Bart came to the plate in the ninth inning with a chance to tie it, but he struck out. But yeah, credit that Owen Murphy came in, and then you know, he had a really tough circumstance in his big league debut just a week before, coming in the extra innings and almost got out of it. But a promising kid. And I think we'll probably continue to see a little bit from Owen in the second half of year.
Speaker 1: I would certainly agree. And then Sunday, like we said, end of the first half plus on a higher note, that got a little bit of a gift in the form of a throwing error to win the game. It was three to three. They scored in the ninth to take the lead, and then the Glaciers closed it out in the bottom half. They played better regardless, Richie was pretty good after a opener. The Brives have not used many openers, and they did with Danny Young today. Do you have any take on that? I was like, oh, that was interesting. Yeah, I was sort what's to make of that?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean it didn't go super well for Danny Young, but I kind of liked the idea, especially if teams are going to stack their lefties at the top of the lineup against the Braves.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you know, I thought Jr.
Speaker 2: Richie threw the ball pretty well after Danny Young left and gave the team a chance. And I thought Walt Weiss was a little aggressive. I think he could have pulled Jr. I think he left him in for one bat or too many. And then Dylan Dodd gave up a couple of runs. But yeah, encouraging from Richie and then you know what, we will take all help. All help is happily accepted. Mason Wynn is usually a really good, really reliable shortstop and he just uncorked to throw and we'll take it, thankfully. Rice of Iglesias then had a no drama ninth inning and just I'm sure the flight home or wherever the players are going after. This was certainly more enjoyable after a win on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yes, a ten pitch ninth inning was welcomed at the end of that. If they give me that game back, it would have been not ideal. Freak. I have one more thing that's kind of a joke, but it just it's Uh. The Braves got an insurance run that ended up being very big to go up three to one, and it happened with a combination of a double by Jim Jarvis and then a double by Brewer Hicklin. Those two players combined to generate a run on July twelve for the Braves. What were the odds of that on March thirtieth.
Speaker 2: Low, they were very low. Back to back doubles too, Both balls were hit well.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I'm not picking on those guys. It's just like, it's it's insane that that happened. And you know, Burter Hicklin's up because yeah, as on the ielas what we're talking about in a second. But yeah, I mean, Jarvis has been helpful. I'm not it's not about those guys. It's just like they were both those guys were so far down the list of potential players to even appear in a game on July twelve, much less both be starting and combined for a run that actually helped to get the win.
Speaker 2: So yeah, shots of them, we'll take it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: The bottom the bottom third of this lineup basically since the start of June has been just such a black hole. And yeah, you know what, I like Jim Jarvis. You know, Steven and I talked about him quite a bit on the show the other day. I think he should absolutely be the shortstop until they can kind of stabilize, and maybe Mauricio Dubon ultimately moves to short at some point once the outfield gets a little healthier. But yeah, like Jim Jarvis, I really see no reason to play Jorge Mateo anymore. Rolled Jarvis out there, ride the wave, see how far it takes you, and and maybe he can keep making an impact on the game, because at least this past week, I mean, truthfully, Jarvis is one of the more impactful players in the lineup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was, I mean the ho It's unfortunately, the Horimtato thing very predictably has fallen off the cliff. It was always coming and it's come. Okay, speaking of Brewer Hicklin. Yas is on the IL with elbow elbow inflammation that happened on Saturday. He been really good the last couple of weeks, had a one sixty one WRC plus in the month of July. I know it's only like eleven days of July, but bad timing there. I mean, the only thing that's good about that is that you get the break which counts. So maybe he's back in ten days, which means he makes he misses like four games or something. We don't really know yet. I don't think we's got a further update on Yas beyond him going on the IL. But that's not a good sign.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I know Hicklin helped today, but man, they can't as much as Yas has just been like mad to okay most of this. He's still a real loss given where they are with the outfield.
Speaker 2: I was surprised to see Yas on the IL because, as you said, he had been hitting the ball well. You know, if Mike was in a one for thirty skin and then he went on the IL, it's like, Okay, he was playing through an injury, that makes sense, but he's been hitting the ball better. Than basically any of his teammates in July. So yeah, that's a bummer. Let's get Yaz back soon. It seems like we should hopefully get Ronald Acuny Junior back, if not at the start of the second half, then shortly after, because we really have not had this team fully healthy and at full strength for a whole lot this year, and obviously that's only going to help the cause as they try to get this thing back on track in the second half of the year.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, oh, just a quick one. Nothing really take away here. Matt Olsen broke Dale Murphy's Braves franchise record for consecutive games played over the weekend. We always talk about this with h while knocking on all pieces of wood around us. But Matt has still has the streak going. He's I think he's ninth all time now, will be eighth pretty soon. Medilson is very good at baseball and never missess games. So thank you, thank you, med Olson, and congrats to you on the franchise record.
Speaker 2: We didn't do an m v P LVP segment on the show. Maybe we'll do one this week, but I mean, for my money, offensive m v P med Olson.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, I mean, yeah, almost certainly. The only other guy you could argue would be Harris, But I think that I think Olson's been better than Michael, and Michael's been great. It's been the only argument would be that we kind of knew Medilson was going to do this, and Michael was more surprising and not asily surprising, but like less less assured. Med Olson is just always good and he's always been good, and that's just what happens. But he spent I mean, he has the highest ops he's spent, but he's better best. But it's been the best player this season. I mean, you could maybe argue you it's Chris Sale, but it's one of the two as far as total value for me, and that's been awesome. I just want to be shut him out because anytime you said, a the Brad has been around for a very long time. Set a record for the Braves is not a small thing for career stuff.
Speaker 2: So well, think about how many players have played Major League Baseball over the years. To be ninth, yeah, all time in anything is ridiculous. Like you said, I think by the end of the season, Matt will be eighth in the consecutive games played he is iron man. Thank God for it. Let's keep Matt nice and healthy moving forward. And yeah, really good first half for Matt. Let's keep it going. And I mean it's you believe there's already five years in Matt Olson.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean I can believe it because I've just been in the trenches defending med Dolson for five years. For whatever reason, that's people. I guess it's maybe slowing down. I haven't seen as much Mad Dolson discourse. I've never understood the discourse. Anyway. He's been really good the entire time he's been here. But uh, yeah, no, actually it's kind of crazy it's been that long. But he plays every day and uh as someone that you don't have to worry about. And there's a lot to worry about, you know what I mean. Say, like I'm a worrier by nature, Like there's a lot to worry about with this Braves team, He's like maybe the only thing you don't worry, you don't worry about it at all. Because even even Chris Sale, Chris Sale absolutely rules. Chris Sale is like my age and could get hurt at any moment, So like I'm always worried about Chris sale to some degree, but also I'm not worried really at all, so you know, what are you gonna do? Uh quickly? It just missed. It just smissed. Shover uh got It was a little bit shaky in his Gwinnett rehab appearance, and I'm just getting closer. He's not clearly not ready yet. But I didn't get to watch that, but from what I read and heard and talked to a couple people that did watch him, like maybe he like kind of hit the wall. It seemed like, I don't I don't know if you have to watch it, but that's that was kind of this kind of report that I heard. It was like he kind of ran out of gas. Not not like stuff was fine, but he just kind of got beat around in the third or fourth inning of his out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I saw as well. I was not able to watch AJ's rehab shart, but it seems like he's getting closer. You know, this is all part of a rehab process, a lengthy rehab process. You've got to go deeper, deeper into games, and obviously you're gonna want to see AJ throw eighty eighty five ninety pitches before you team him ready to come all the way back, But so far I think it's been encouraging. Let's knock on every piece of wood. Hope he continues to feel well, the elbow continues to hold up because I do think whether it's in the rotation or the bullpen, I think a Jasmonth Schafer has a chance to impact this team in the second half, and we'll just kind of hold our breath when he goes out there. I'm guessing next weekend with Gwinnett, he'll make his second triple A rehab start, and hopefully he's just a little more He has a little more stamina built up to go deeper into the game and not hit a wall.
Speaker 1: From here, you've got All Star festivities. The Brais don't play against all Friday. The first of the All Star break festivities actually happened today with the Futures game. Kek kem and Eddie was the only representative for the Braves. He threw a one two three inning and looked great. I actually got to see that because it was so fast. He just looked awesome. Mode through three. Guys love to see that. But the Derby is Monday. There's no Brave in it. You know. I guess you could have talked Matt Olsen into it, but I don't think that Elson wants to do the derby, so he was just like, I'm good and I'm fine with that. By the way, I don't want to do it to Derby. Take them take the day off, Matt, I am bring your phone camera out there and makes him no, and do the things that's right.
Speaker 2: I'm sure. I mean, Matt's been around the game for like a decade. I'm sure he has friends who are going to be there. So yeah, be the hype man, do the towel waving, bring a gatorade to the guys in the box.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I love the home run derby. I think everyone does. I think baseball fans everywhere due should be a good group. It's in a smaller ballpark as well in Philadelphia, so it should be a lot of baseballs flying out of there. I guess we will root against the Phillies guys in the derby, but yeah, should be fun and yeah, but in terms of All Star Game stuff, I want all the boys to relax, take it easy. If they get in there, have wanted bat don't swing for the fences and then get out of there and enjoy a couple of days off with your friends or family or whatever they want to do.
Speaker 1: That is always our stance.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: PSA for our listeners, the Home Run Derby is on Netflix on Monday. Oh, first time ever Netflix has the Homern Derby. So if you're looking for it, don't be surprised. I'm sure probably everyone has a Netflix account or always access to one, but don't get caught off guard and have to go scrambling to call somebody to figure out how I got on Netflix on Monday.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that, because I would have turned on YouTube TV and been like, where the hell is the Home Run Derby? And then yeah, never is on Netflix on Monday.
Speaker 1: The game is on Fox like normal on Tuesday, just as a as a just a reminder, Drake Ball and Ozzy Alby's are starting for the National League in the game. Matt Olsen is there. I saw Glacias Chris Sale. I don't want Chris Sale to pitch. I just I just don't. But if they make him whatever, if he wants to, he's he's a psycho. He wants to pitch. I don't know, but I would be fine if if Chris Sale is not pitch me too. Yeah, I would really like that.
Speaker 2: Save Chris Sale for the Rangers series, which begins Friday at Truest Park. We need Chris to stay healthy. Good lord, we we got to rely on that guy. Really lean on Chris Sale in the second half. But yeah, cool moment. I think it'd be cool if Ice like Glacias gets to pitch an inning. He's the first time one because this is his first time even though he's been around the league. I think this is his twelfth season. So if Iglesias gets in the game, great, It'll be fun to see Drake Baldwin and Ozzy Alby's is starting for the first time, so those guys are certainly deserving of it. But yeah, take it easy. No need to dive and lay out for a baseball, no need to swing for the fences. Just everybody stay healthy and everybody get ready for the second half.
Speaker 1: We agree, and we'll have at least one or two shows this week before the Braves start playing again on Friday, so we want not preview what's coming up. But they do have seven games in seven days at home they're getting on Friday. That says it going again against the Rangers and Padres. All right, Scott, We've done it. Our first All Star Break edition in twenty twenty six, we set the tone, talked about the draft. Anything else you want to say? If not, folks that are new to the podcast, where can they find you?
Speaker 2: I am at Scott Coleman fifty five on Twitter. If you want to follow there. Apparently I rile everybody up, so follow along there for all the all the fun.
Speaker 1: You have quite a follow me. You have the biggest following. I always say that, like I think I can't remember if you and I have similar follower accounts. You have a lot of Braves fans, all of you on Twitter, more more than me. I have a lot of Hawks people to follow me. You are the one that could get the great if you wanted to. You could turn the dial on more than any of us on social media with brids fans, and occasionally you do it and it makes me laugh.
Speaker 2: So I genuinely I don't try to man. I just tweet my thoughts and if it riles the masses.
Speaker 1: Up, then so be it.
Speaker 2: But grateful for that community, Grateful for everybody who has either been a returning listener in the first half of this season, or as a new listener, welcome aboard. We really do appreciate all the support for the podcast, and as Brad said, we will have more content this week during the break and then it is all systems go when the second half gets rolling, game coverage, news notes. Of course, trade deadline is right around the corner, so any big rumors or of course transactions will do an emergency pod for those it's a lot of good stuff on the horizon. Be sure to keep it locked, subscribe, leave a five store review on Apple or Spotify really helps us out. Whatever you can do to support the show, we really.
Speaker 1: Do appreciate it. Yes, I'm echo that, please please please subscribe, keep it locked throughout the break, and then go in the second half we'll have you covered with everything. The trade deadline is again three weeks away from Monday, so stay tuned. Everybody, leave a rating, leave a review. Tell your friends, I know, I know you have a brace fan friend or seven in your life that you could potentially send a link to this podcast too, So do us as solid and do that Over the next few days. Well, we all have some down time, so anyway, thanks for hosting. Everybody, stay tuned and i'll see you all next time.