Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spafford, joined as always by my trust in colleague Wes Hodkowitz. We're coming to you hear from our studios at Lambeufield to talk about Wes. A very uplifting victory by the Packers in Week two in the home opener, sixteen to ten was the final score over the Indianapolis Colts. And I'll just start by saying this. When you're taking the field with a backup quarterback and you're talking about a victory, and one of the first things that comes to mind is the game was actually kind of closer than it should have been. A team that won the game really did something right.
Speaker 2: They sure did, and this was one of the I think finest coaching jobs at Laflor and his staff have done. I agree, this was one of the most well executed game plans that I think I've witnessed during my time on the beat. And while there were some mistakes, it was not completely a clean football game. This Green Bay Packers team played well enough that those didn't even factor into the overall outcome of the game. They took the ball away, They dominated time of possession. They ran the ball at an historic rate, more than they have in the last forty six years in a game. Oh and then, by the way, Malik Willis, who has been a Green Bay Packer now for all of three weeks, comes in manages the game plan, and then in the second half, when the Indianapolis Colts make some adjustments, he makes some big time throws on his own to be able to continue to push this pace for the Packers. This was one of the most complete overall victories that I think I've witnessed during my time on the beat, and the Green Bay Packers did it without Jordan Love on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The level of set satisfaction. I mentioned this an insider inbox. The level of satisfaction, the thrill that a coaching staff and the players for that matter, must feel when when a game plan is executed so well right out of the gate and is so successful for such a large part of the game that you never have to deviate from it, You never really have to turn the page to play and b or anything. I mean, the Packers came into this game wanting to run the ball. They ended up running it fifty three times for two hundred and sixty one yards. As you said, historic in the sense of the fifty three carries the most since nineteen seventy eight, I believe in a game, and the two hundred and sixty one yards the most in about twenty years or so. But they never they never had to, they never had to really go to an alternative game plan because it was working so well and it created that massive time of possession advantage, more than twenty minutes, almost twenty and a half minutes advantage in time of possession. And quite frankly I mentioned this in the column as well. The only thing that kept the Indianapolis Colts in the game was when Josh Jacobs fumbled at the goal line as the Packers are headed in to go up seventeen to nothing on their third offensive possession. That doesn't happen. It stays ten to nothing, and you know, the game the Packers never really put.
Speaker 2: The game away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was that was really the one most regrettable mistake. But hats off to Josh Jacobs man, I you know, yeah, the fumble is unfortunate. He knows it can't happen, but eighty five degrees out there at lambeau Field. He toted that rock thirty two times for one hundred and fifty one yards. You talk about call it belcow, call it workhorse, you know, whatever phrase you want to use. As far as what Josh Jacobs meant to this offense on Sunday, the fumble is really too bad because otherwise we'd be talking about an all time great performance by a Green Bay Packers running back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I would actually be thinking too, a man, if they do end up punching that ball in there and go up seventeen to nothing, where that game could have potentially oh on at that point, because that might have actually been the backbreaker for the Colts. I think that actually gave them back a little bit of momentum, and obviously they put up some points after that. All that being said, Mike, the fact that Josh Jacobs, and he's proven it several times, this wasn't even his career high. He had a thirty three carry game during his time with the Raiders in twenty twenty two. But the fact that he put himself physically in a position to be able to do that after there were a couple injury things during camp. There was another injury thing at the start of the season, but was able to manage himself and stay out there and be as explosive as he was in that game plan. Again, it reminded me of my days covering high school football in that a lot of times there wasn't a lot of throwing going on in the Northeastern Wisconsin football So what you would do is you have to get creative with your schemes. You have to give them different looks. The Green Bay Packers built multiple looks off of all of their runs, whether it was getting Jaden Reid involved now in that pony package, he's back there alongside Josh Shacops. Read even said that was probably the most running back he's played since high school. In that game, you had Bo Melton using his speed on a reverse. You had so many different things that were built off of what Josh Shacops did. But at the end of the day, if you don't block the way the Packers blocked, and Jacobs doesn't have the vision that he has where he could take a two yard run and turn it into a thirty four yard bust. I mean, it was incredible to watch seeing his jump style and some of the things that he does well, it was a premium performance out of him, and when the Green Bay Packers went out there and they invested that money into him, this is exactly what they were thinking about a game where it needed to be on his shoulders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jacob's vision and footwork are impressive to watch, especially watching from up in the press box where we get a wider view. We get a broader view of the field than the folks watching on TV. He always sees where the space is and then it's a matter of it's a matter of some really really nifty quick footwork to be able to get himself to get his body in position to hit that space, and then he's able to hit it with some force because because of the acceleration. It was really it was really fun to watch and hopefully thirty two carries on an eighty five degree day in week two didn't wear them out too much, because the Packers are certainly going to would love to see more performances like that. But you hinted at it as well talking about some of the other guys the Packers. What turned out to be the Packers only touchdown drive of this game. Six different people, including quarterback Malik Willis, had rushing attempts on one touchdown drive six different guys. There was a mentality that the Packers were going to come in and run it, and you know the old Mike Tyson saying, everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth right. Well, quite frankly, the Indianapolis Colts never threw a punch because the Packers defense then kept the Colts out of the kept him off the scoreboard for the first forty minutes of the game, kept him out of the end zone for the first fifty eight minutes of the game. Unfortunately, it did come down to a hail mary. The Colts got a shot at a hail mary after scoring a touchdown, getting the ball back one last time and then actually making their way out close to midfield where they had a shot of the hail mary, and then Evan Williams gets the interception for the third takeaway to seal the game. But other than you know, nitpicking here and there, you couldn't have asked for this game to go any better for the Packers with it being not only Malik Willis's first start in place of Jordan Loven. We'll see if that has to happen again. But the fact that that Willis had just walked into the building less than three weeks ago and has been you know, I mean, call it, you know, cram session, crash course, whatever you want to say, in terms of trying to learn what he can of the basics of the offense and then digest a game plan, you know, to get ready to take on somebody for real right away in week two with Jordan Love being injured. There was a lot that went into this victory. And the Packers don't get to celebrated anymore. It's onto the Tennessee Titans right after twenty four hours. But there's a lot to be proud of what they accomplished on Sunday well.
Speaker 2: And you can even hear it in Matt Lafleur's voice and in his words after the game. You know, he talked for eighteen minutes or whatever it was, and just the excitement and just the effusive praise that he showered on Willis. To be able to handle everything the Green Bay Packers were throwing at him and to be able to manage that out on the field. It's one thing to be able to sit in the classroom and to learn the playbook and understand what the checks and the motions and everything are going to be. It's another thing when you're out there and all that stuff has to happen. You need to have that, you know, that's energy between all the positions. And I can't say enough about Wilson. I thought the cool thing about it was after he only had twenty five passing yards in the first half, the second half, he was able to flash the arm a little bit. He was able to put the ball out there to allow his receivers to make plays. And that's the exciting thing. I think this young man showed in this matchup that there's still a lot of potential here. Whatever happened in Tennessee happened. Now he's a Green Bay Packer. Now he's the backup quarterback. In his disposition, it mirrors so closely to Jordan Love and that he's a leader. People rally to him. But he's not a bombastic personality. He's very straightforward and he said it himself at his postgame press conference. It was going to be everybody pulling together to find a way to win this game. They did exactly that. I thought. Adam Stenovich, Matt Lafleur, Tom clements, the whole group being able to build this thing around him and allow him to get comfortable. If it is Malik willis going up against his former team this upcoming weekend, he is going to be a better quarterback in that game because everything that happened in that matchup against the Titans, and the last thing I will just quickly say here, this thing does not happen the way it happened. If two things don't happen, the Packers stay in positive down in distance, no negative yardage plays, you are not going to be able to implement a run heavy game plan if you're going to be pushed back. It happened once in that game, a holding penalty brought it back to first and twenty and Josh Jacobs broke a thirty four yard game to get it right back. Yep, it does not work that way in the National Football League, but it happened there. The right breaks happen. But conversely, Mike, defensively, there is so much selflessness that happened on that side of the ball. Understanding, after everything that happened against Jalen Hurts, they weren't able to pin their ears back like we were talking about. They had to implement a very similar pass rush plan. The guys did that. And while you still have some stuff to clean up with the run defense and some of the explosive plays, that was a very dangerous live opponent you were facing. And Anthony Richardson can go off at any time, just ask the Houston Texans. The Green Bay Packers defense didn't allow him to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one last quick note on Willis. He was only asked to throw the ball fourteen times, twelve completions, only two incompletions, never put a ball in harm's way by any stretch. All the all of the fakes and the handoffs and the motions and all that, he handled all of it with a blomb. And as you said, some key third down throws the you know third and five I believe it was, and he gets the one on one coverage outside with Romeo Dobbs puts it up there, gives eighty seven a chance to make the play and Dobbs makes a fantastic catch, another clutch. Third down, he hits Tucker Kraft where Craft is you know, blocking his butt off all game long, and then he finally gets that opportunity to you know, fake the block, get out there in the route and then boom, Willis puts it right on him converts a big third down that leads to some points there. So Willis did everything he had to do with regard to the defense, as you said it was they had to they had to approach the quarterback the same way or a very similar way that they did against Philly with Anthony Richardson in his running ability. The bottom line is, yes, the Packers only have what is it, three sacks defensively through the first two games, but two dual threat quarterbacks in Jalen Hurts and Anthony Richardson have combined for I believe seventy rushing yards in those two games.
Speaker 2: If you're the.
Speaker 1: Packers' defense, you take that because those guys didn't hurt you with their legs, and quite frankly, it wasn't until that last on the final final drive, the scramble up the sideline where Richardson got you know, twenty twenty yards or twenty one yards whatever it was, that he even got over twenty yards rushing in the game because the Packers stayed disciplined enough up front where they weren't worried about getting the sacks They're running a lot of stunts, you know, the ends and the defensive tackles. They're running a lot of stunts play after but it's running stunts and staying in the rushing lanes, not running stunts to go, you know, with total abandon after the quarterback. And it takes a lot of discipline to be able to play that way, and they and they did that. The other guy that we have to talk about on defense, and we talked about him in training camp, but I want to make reference to something that we had talked about back then, but veteran linebacker Eric Wilson man eight snaps. The guy got eight defensive snaps in this game. And he forces a fumble over by the sideline, which unfortunately then was knocked out of bounds and the Packers didn't really have a shot to recover it. He is in there for a third and one, a key third and one. It's actually the first play of the fourth quarter, and the Colts kind of get tricky with a little option look that they hadn't shown all game long. It wasn't Jonathan Taylor was trace sermon in the back field. Eric Wilson plays it absolutely perfectly, plays it expertly, and helps to string out that option play and the other teammates kind of rally there and the Packers get a big stop which which actually becomes a tackle for loss by Xavier McKinney, and then the missfield goal and then lo and behold. Eric Wilson also gets an interception on a slanter and in cut whatever you want to call it, you can't do much more on defense in eight snaps than what Eric Wilson did in this game on.
Speaker 2: Some and that interception was one of the very few, maybe the ten plays where Greevey was actually playing base defense and he gets matched up with Michael Pittman Junior, and he even said, I've asked him about that in the locker room afterwards, and he said, you know, you know you're up against skill, and you know you got to hang in there and being able to keep the inside leverage. It was a bad mistake by Richardson. It's a bad decision by Richardson.
Speaker 1: He probably, I think when I looked at it on the film, I think he thought Wilson was going to peel off into the flat yep and then that that you know, slant or the seam there with Pittman was going to be open, but Wilson stuck with Pittman and Richardson had already decided that's where he was going with the ball, and he threw a pass that he never should have thrown.
Speaker 2: And the part that impressed me was Eric caught that ball. Yeah, there is nothing about Anthony Richardson. When he throws the ball. He gets every ounce of velocity out of that football. I mean, he throws it hard, and you can see why this guy is going to be a real dangerous threat, I think in no short time here in the National Football League because his arm talent mixed with the fact he's a six foot three, two hundred and forty four pound athlete, I get it. But the thing is that why I really like the pass rush plan going back to that, he does not have Jalen Hurts his accuracy. He is a bit more scattershot in that. The Green Bay Packers had the right plan to approach both Hurts and Richardson. The only difference was it was more about managing risk in plays with Hurts as opposed to Richardson. That was the way you need to attack him because you need to make sure that he can't escape the pocket. To create big plays. That's where Houston really came up short when they ruptured for those five or excuse me, those three fifty yard connections that almost won the Colts the game in the opener.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bringing it all back around, though, Michael, to Wilson, he is the type of player that you need on your team to win championships because it can't all be ten million dollars fifteen million dollar linebackers and guys that are gonna be You need role players, Guys that are leaders on special teams, Guys that know the system and are smart enough to be put themselves in a position to make those plays, even if it is only eight snaps. There's no warm up, there's no tune up. And I had asked Wilson in the locker room about that Reid option play, and what shows you his experience as an eighth year player is that he said he was caught off guard by he was surprised by it. He wasn't expecting that when Richardson did it, but the base fundamentals and the instincts in his head didn't allow him to panic or sell out one particular way.
Speaker 1: He looked like he was absolutely one hundred percent prepared that that was the play that was coming at him. I mean, it's somewhat stunning to actually hear him say he was kind of caught off guard. But as you said, it's about it's about fundamentals, it's about sticking to your rules. It's about trusting what you know because you've played this game for so long and played it at this level in the NFL as long as he has. I'm reminded. And this is why I remember bringing this up when Eric Wilson was having such a good training camp this summer. We're watching this guy going, he's going to be playing snaps on defense. This isn't just going to be a special teams guy this year. And I was reminded back then and I am again now. The Giants game on Monday Night Football last year, Eric Wilson played one snap on defense. It was a fourth and short by the New York Giants, and he blew up the play. That was the only snap, the only snap on defense he's in the game, and he gets the fourth down stop. There are very there, I mean count on less than one hand guys in the league who can pull that off. The Packers have one of them in their locker room, and it's pretty special to watch.
Speaker 2: And the fact that it all happened after he forced a fumble to start everything, like the Packers don't recover it, ball goes out of bound, right, But like Eric Wilson was just he was making plays the entire time. They played basically nickel this entire game. I think Isaiah McDuffie played fifty to fifty six snaps. Obviously, Kaiy Walker was out there for all of them. Both Wilson and Edgerrin Cooper just got a handful of snaps and much like Cooper did the week earlier, Wilson made each one of them count.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, if there's one one thing I would say that pops up as a as a concern, in my opinion, the biggest concern with the Packers defense through two games. I know all the fans are talking about where the sacks, blah blah blah. We already explained that the issue that the Packers defense really has to take a good hard look at here moving forward is where they are against the run. Because Saquon Barkley hunter nine yards, but we had talked last week. One of those he busted off a thirty four yarder. Other than that one play, they let Barkley out of the gate. You know, they didn't let Barkley dominate them. I mean, yes, the Eagles fed him the ball quite a bit, but the Packers also had quite a few really good stops on Saquon Barkley. There was some back and forth, there's some give and take there with Barkley, and then he had the one big play that put him over one hundred yards. Jonathan Taylor only got the ball twelve times as far as handoffs in this game. Five of those west he ran for sixteen plus out of twelve carries. So moving forward here, the Packers have to look at where they are on run defense, and Matt Lafleur he talked about it a little bit at his Monday press conference where he felt schematically position wise, on a few of those explosive runs by Taylor, the Packers were right where they needed to be. But then because somebody got over ancient and just you know, peeked into the wrong gap or kind of took themselves out of position rather than just be patient and to hold the point and do your job, then that's how Taylor is able to sneak through there. And credit to Jonathan Taylor. He's one of the best out there. He does that to a lot of teams. But it is something I think the Packers have to look at here because through two games there are definitely some questions, what's going on against the.
Speaker 2: Wrong Yeah, and I was under no disillusion that Jonathan Taylor was going to have the same performance he had against the Texans when I think he had maybe a long carry of like seventy yards. Yeah, I mean, he didn't really get going at all. I figured he'd break a couple. He broke too many, is what the issue was in this game. Now, Thankfully for the Packer's sake, it wasn't like there was a sixty yard touchdown run every single time they responded to it. Big reason why they shut them out in the first half was not allowing Taylor to continue to string those up against them. You and I were mentioning it in the press box. I mean, for him to be as successful as he was, but then only to rush at twelve times tells you two things. One, Green Bay did get some stops in there that made him feel not as good about running it on second and long or third and long. In two they were able to knock them out of their rhythm because you want to also get Anthony Richardson going, and they didn't allow them to do that a passing game or even with Richardson scrambling. But the challenge is still there, and they're going to take on a Tennessee offense here that has not done a lot right so far. But they've ran the ball okay to this point, even though they're making this transition without Derrick Henry.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they're making a goal of it with Pollard. They are getting picking up Tony Pollard from the Dallas Cowboys. It's a different style of running game than Tennessee's had compared to Derrick Henry obviously, but you know, the way things are going. We'll talk more about it on our next show with the Titans, But the way things are going with Will Levis at quarterback, I think the Titans are going to start leaning on their running game even more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the Packers are probably gonna have to show a little bit more of their base in this one too, But again that's neither here nor there at the moment as far as this game was concerned. It's tough, Michael, because I think it just goes back to show you when you establish the run and you set up intention. I Dreenbay Packers rush for I believe it was one hundred and sixty four yards in the first quarter, which was the most that they've generated in any quarter since nineteen eighty five against the Saint Louis Cardinals. They came out hard, fast and often, whereas Indianapolis they had some really nice runs with Taylor, but just didn't push the button on it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could, they couldn't sustain it. I mean that's to the Packers credit.
Speaker 2: I thought.
Speaker 1: Defensively, for the explosives the Packers gave up, I thought they responded to giving up those explosives and they stemmed the tide, which is, you know, the big plays are going to happen. I mean, it's an offense oriented league. Nobody just you can't just go out and shut anybody down if you can, you don't want to give up the big plays, But then when you do, can you respond to them. That was the biggest positive in this one, other than takeaways, of course, the biggest positive in this one, I thought for the Packers defense was the way they responded to the explosive plays. Because it kept that point total for the Colts down.
Speaker 2: And what I'll bring it back to at the end of the day was, if you had to eliminate one explosive threat from this game, I still would argue that Richardson was the one you needed to do. The problem is is that when you had the issues you had in the second half against Barclay and you gave up as many as explosives on the ground as you did to Jonathan Taylor, you put that on film, teams are going to look to exploit it, and that's where Green Bay needs to find the response.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's what the Colts are going to be facing too. But we're not doing Colts unscripted here, man. They don't. They've given up four hundred and seventy some rushing yards in two games, and absolutely every team they face is going to try to run the ball down their throat until they can stop it.
Speaker 2: It was wild. I tweeted this out and the game moved so fast, so you go past it. But at one point in the second quarter, I believe it was with eight minutes ago, the Packers already had as many rushing yards with eight minutes left in the first half two hundred and thirteen as the Colts had allowed in Week one, and that was the most that was allowed in Week one in an entire game. Yeah, so yeah, as far as the statistics go, there's a lot of football left to be played. But the Colts in terms of where it's gonna be tough to be ranked number one and run defense this year after those two games. Yeh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. A couple quick thoughts on special teams before we shift gears. Daniel wheel and the Packers punter. What a weapon he is turning into. He only had to punt the ball three times in this game, but those three punts he averaged a forty six yard net no return yards whatsoever for the Colts on the three punts, and those three punts pinned the Colts at their own sixteen, eight and five yard lines. You almost can't have a better day as a punter than that. And when the Packers do have to punt, this young man, Daniel Wheelan is putting the Packers defense yep, good position. He is really helping the field position situation with regard to with regard to what Jeff Hafley's crew gets to start with.
Speaker 2: And if I remember right from my story that I wrote on our website forty eight hours ago. I believe the Colts did not generate any points off of anything that came off the foot of Daniel Wheelan.
Speaker 1: They did not those three drives that started at the sixteen, the eight, and the five. There were no points scored at the end of any of those three drives.
Speaker 2: And there was not one more important than him pinning them back at their own five at the end of that game. Because Packers did the right thing, they forced them to burn their timeouts, they were able to drain the clock down. I believe it was forty eight seconds. But Indianapolis had a chance, and with that arm, you basically just need to get to midfield and you're going to get an opportunity. He put them back at the five. That's what allowed for a little bit of a rupture there with the twenty one yard scamper by Richardson did not really hurt you that much. They still had to throw again after that to try to get a little bit closer for a hail. Mary. Be that as it may. Again, bringing back to that conversation I had with Eric Wilson talking to him about Daniel Wheelan, the kid has a long, powerful leg, and he's learned how to use it. It's not just about the gross yardage on it. It's about being able to do the Aussie style kicks and directionally kick it when you're trying to pin him back inside the twenty. The one that bounced out at the seven, that was done strictly by him. That was it bouncing inbounds and then going out of bounce without a return on it. Daniel Wheelan has shown a lot of to nests too for as much power as he has. And the Green Bay Packers have been looking for a punter for a long time. Mike. It's been throughout my entire time covering this team. They've been trying to settle on a guy. Daniel Whelan looks like somebod who can hitch the wagon to here for a decade.
Speaker 1: And we'd be talking about an absolute textbook way to close out a game with your other two phases with the punt to the five. If Kuay Walker catches the interception that Richardson throws right basically right at his face mask on the first play of that drive from the five yard line, and not only did Walker miss it, but it got deflected and the Colts caught it and then set up to scramble in up getting the hail Mary shot and quay walker. As Matt Lafleur said, he's kind of sick about not being able to put the game away there because that should have been takeaway number three that moment. It ended up happening on the hail Mary. Braden Narvis and the rookie kicker. Second game in a row, he goes three for four on field goals. Miss is one that that was kind of important. It would have given the Packers a sixteen point lead. If he makes that and you're up by sixteen at that stage of the fourth quarter, absolute worst case scenario, you're looking at overtime. If the other team's two touchdowns and gets two two point conversions by the end of regulation, worst case scenario, you're looking at overtime. And unfortunately he wasn't able to make that one. Matt Leffuur said, Hey, you know, you can ask Brian Gudokunst about, you know, the patience thing from the personnel side of things, From the coaching side of things, They're willing to be patient. They like what they have in Narvis, and we'll see what happens. I think it's important to remind people. I'm going to remind them again. An Insider inbox later this week, Andras Carlson started his NFL career not missing a single kick for five straight games, and everybody thought, oh, Packers are all set, they found their kicker. This is great. Well, my point is just don't rush to judgment on Braden Narvison. Yes, he's missed two kicks forty five yards an inn that he should make, that he knows he should make through the first two games. But you know, let's let's just see what happens here because because things didn't work out with Carlson when everything started great, so let's see how Narvison works through some of these things to hopefully get where he wants to be in where the Packers want him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you got to remember the green bit Packers went through, Mike. I want to say it was six or seven kickers throughout camp when you talk about all those number three guys they brought in, and obviously Alex Hale is still with them now on the practice squad under the international exemption, they re shuffled the deck on that position. Enough training camp ended they placed the waiver claim on Narvisen. He's the guy. He's the guy they went with, and I think, barring a disaster, which is what you have to curb against, not missing one but missing several, I feel like you got to let this young guy develop and you do have to have that patience. I go back to what Brian Goodigun said. I still wish he would have given himself a little bit more grace on that because he talked about JK Scott and j K Scott's an NFL punter and he's fine. But Daniel Wheeland, in my estimation, is a better punter than JK Scott. I think Corey Bjorquez is a better punter than JK Scott. His issue was was more of the holding side of things, where it was kind of disrupting stuff right. I think he got to where they needed to get to.
Speaker 1: I agree that Goody needs to cut himself some slack when he criticized himself about the lack of patients with special he gave JK Scott three seasons here. It's not it's not like you know. I mean, let's let's be let's be real about it. There are things about the climate you know there are there are difficulties when you're kicking in Lambeau Field, in Soldier Field, in uh you know, at certain times of the year. And and credit to JK. Scott, he is he's gotten his career back on a better track. He's also kicking out in LA. He doesn't he doesn't have he doesn't have the same some of the same circumstances that specialists have to deal with. Here in Green Bay.
Speaker 2: There was probably and it didn't even affect it wasn't even a part of Brian Goudakun's tenure, I don't believe. But the only time I ever really took an issue with anything the Packers did was when they went with Rick Levado throughout the playoffs, had him throughout training camp, and then cut him at the end of camp and brought back Brett good after he was injured. I think if you to take the more long term approach at that point, because Gooda ended up only playing I think one more year after that, it probably would have been a more salient thing to just stick with Levado, who's been now the Eagles long snapper for the last seven years. That's the one I kind of would go back and say Okay, I understand that, but again, that didn't even have anything to do with Brian, so be that as it made. The Packers seemed to have found a kicker. Because I'll say this too, and will be my last point on this, Andres Carlson made his first every kick in his first five games. The ball did not come off Anders Carlson's foot the way it comes off of Brandon Narvous.
Speaker 1: I totally agree with you, totally. That's just the eye test.
Speaker 2: That's the eye test. His forty six yarder that he made, Michael, that would have been good from you and I were watching it in the game.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: It's just about now the coaching standpoint of it, and that's where Byron Storer and Richard Pasacchi, they'll they'll work with the guy on that. But in terms of the leg talent here, this guy's not missing a forty five or forty three yard field goal because he doesn't have the leg for it. He's got to get the trajectory figured out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a little late here to get Yeah, get us paid. It wasn't a so let's do this quickly. Serious XMNFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need twenty four to seven, three sixty five And at Cousin Subs, we have something for everyone, like our Wiscotts and cheese, Kurts, mac and cheese, golden fries, and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or submon a bowl. Cousin Subs fifty plus years of better. All right, real quickly, west before we go, taking a look around the league after two weeks, Just as we all predicted, the Vikings, Steelers, Saints, Buccaneers, and Seahawks are all two and zero and the Bengals, Jaguars, Rams, and Ravens are all zero to two. Welcome to the NFL, and like, hold on because here we go.
Speaker 2: Never apologize for a victory in this league. Never do it, because the Baltimore Ravens could just as easily be two and oh right now as a hundred. Yeah. I mean, that's the thing. You got to win the game that's in front of you. They almost beat the reigning Super Bowl champions in Week one, and then they lost to the Las Vegas Raiders the following week.
Speaker 1: Hey, the Philadelphia Eagles had had Scott van Pelt on Monday night football teas and Sports Center talking about, you know, going into the winning Eagles locker room and the two and oh Philadelphia Eagles, and moments later, the Philadelphia Eagles are one and one. They've coughed one up at home in prime time in the last minute and a half. I just you can never rest. There is no peace whatsoever in this league. You play the game in front of you, you pack up your stuff, and you get ready to play again. That's all that this is.
Speaker 2: And that was the other thing too, some of the stories that were coming out of New York after the game against Tennessee and that it wasn't a convincing enough win and things like that. It's like, dude, Aaron Rodgers just got back from the Achilles injury. He didn't play for a year, right, and he just beat he got a win.
Speaker 1: Like, well, it's a win, and every and everybody's everybody's dumping on Kirk Cousins in Atlanta after the loss to the Steelers in Week one. Kirk Cousins is coming off of an achilles and he's with a new team and a whole brand new offense and everything. So I mean, it's like, let's you know, but the instant judgment and the instant analysis. It's it's like, yes, there are things that there are things that you judge in the moment, and you analyze those things in the moment, but you don't have to draw conclusions with every single thing that happens every week. The Cincinnati Bengals just took the Super Bowl champs to the wire, and yes, I know there are some questions about officiating this and that whatever, but the Cincinnati Bengals just gave the Champs everything they could handle. But now the Bengals are sitting there at zero and two and they've got some stuff figure out, so you know, I mean, it's just that's the that's the way this league goes.
Speaker 2: And it was funny too the you and I talked last week about Detroit in Tampa Bay and just the ramifications of that matchup and end up being a good game, competitive game. But now you're seeing with what it looks like that the Buccaneers are going to be up against against the New Orleans Saints in that division. That's why games like that really matter. And I thought, bring it back really quickly Aaron Rodgers. Again in his postgame press conference, he made a really salient point, which is these are the games, These are the type of wins you need to have, because if you're going to be in the run at the end of the season, obviously you need to pick up wins throughout the course of the season. But it's sometimes the difference between ten and seven in nine and eight or nine and eight and eight nine, it comes down to one of those down to the wire, tight matchups in week two and to pick off as many of those. I mean, the Packers were the number one seed and got to thirteen wins in twenty nineteen basically with that script. So the division bringing it back quickly to the NFC North, looks like it will be competitive. I think the Minnesota Vikings are feeling I think Kevin O'Connell, you can just continually give him credit for how he's rallied that team. And as you said last week, they're gonna have to continue to get innovative with what they're doing with Sam Darnold. They're gonna have to try to stay ahead of that curve. But man, people believe, and that team believes, and to be able to be in a position to be two and ohero and I I personally had them written and just kind of in sharpie written down as the fourth team in this division this year. Yeah, the Vikings are showing again. They're nobody's underdog.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you can hit a if you can hit a ninety seven yard touchdown pass against one of the best defenses in the league, that'll play, you know. And and the Vikings are the Vikings are not gonna go away anytime soon.
Speaker 2: And here's a big secret. Just give Justin Jefferson a chance and you're probably gonna have good things happening. By the way, too. Last thing I'll close on this, Uh, Marvin Harrison Jr. Green Miit Packers four weeks we're gonna be talking about that matchup with the Cardinals. Marvin Nison Harrison Junr. Is going to be a handful for the National Football League this year.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely he is. He is already proving that his draft status was no joke for sure. So with that we'll call it a rap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team on Packers dot com for wes I am Mike. Thank you for tuning in, everybody. We will see you next time.