Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Monday, August third, and the triple murder trial of Lindsey Clancy will continue today and they're expected this week, in the second week of the trial, to focus on whether or not she was insane at the time of the killings. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Roped a very important week after what was a very emotional and difficult week last week that ended on Friday. We didn't get a chance to talk about with a field trip of sorts.
Speaker 2: Yes there was. That's how the day began. Actually, so the jurors and the lawyers walked through the home where Lindsay Clancy strangled her three children. But it began actually with the route that Patrick Clancy took that night, they claim, prosecutors say, and this is not really disputed, that Lindsay sent her husband on an errand to go get some takeout food, to go to the pharmacy to pick up some medicaid for Clara, and so jurors were taken on that route which ended at the home there.
Speaker 1: It's something robes as much as we've been saying about this case, to think that they that they were in his they essentially went his route and hers through the house. Robes. I can't imagine how these folks felt. We've been hearing some very difficult testimony, and this is one that, yes there are cameras in the courtroom, we have been able to hear this, see this, see the murder weapons, Robes. This has been very difficult. Now they are physically in that home that they say this does, and both sides agreed and wanted the jury to have this, But Robes, I can't imagine what that felt like on Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is a hell of a first week for an already difficult subject matter, the death's the strangulation of three children at the hands of their own mother. And to hear and see the nine one one call, to see the murder weapons, those exercise bands, and then to actually go to the crime scene itself. That is something that very few people will ever experience in their life, nor would they want to. But this jury, I didn't realize the makeup twelve women, six men, So there are alternates. No one knows who the alternates are, I believe until the end. So there are eighteen jurors that went on this field trip alongside the attorneys now.
Speaker 1: Lindsey Kline, how that reads for her, how that helps hurts in a case like that.
Speaker 2: I feel like it would help. I feel like it would help because a woman, especially a woman who's given birth, especially a woman who might have experienced postpartum, might be a little bit more sympathetic I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, or understanding of how difficult it can get. Yes, just something a man will never comprehend.
Speaker 2: Correct, And I think a woman would understand a mother's love. And yes, there are always outliers, There are evil people in this world. We understand that. But I do think seeing this mother so far, what we've been seen in this first week, being presented with just the care she took, the consideration she took for her kids, the pictures she had with the kids, I think that resonates with a lot of the women. So yeah, I hadn't heard the makeup of the jury until now. That's significantly So yeah, twelve women, six men.
Speaker 1: I do wonder what is that final breakdown going to be? Right?
Speaker 2: Who the alternates are? We don't know right now and neither do the jurors. But Lindsay Clancy notably did not go on this field trip. We wondered if she would or not, and it was noted she has not been at that home since the night or the day of those killings.
Speaker 1: And the day of those killings. Of reminder, folks, this was in January of twenty twenty three when Lindsay Clancy strangled her three kids, five year old, three year old and eight month old. Strangled the three kids, then she slashed her own neck and jumped out a window in an attempt to kill herself. She is now claiming not guilty, not guilty by reason of insanity. And again, Robes, as we've gone back and forth, the first witness of the case was her now ex husband, who was supportive of her in that He immediately came out and said publicly put out a statement after the kids were killed, Robes saying, you won't need to hear everything and have mercy on her. She's hurting and I forgive her. He saw her spiral into whatever she wherever she ended. This psychosis she says she was in. It is as a layperson, Robes, it's hard to understand. But it's also hard to understand why the prosecution gives her no room, no possibility that she was ill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a little surprising. And look, we may understand it better as they continue to present their case, but this field trip was notable and it is rare. I mean, this does happen, but we can kind of name on one hand, maybe the amount of times at least from a high profile standpoint, this has actually occurred. Where you have the jury go on a field trip, so to speak, retracing the rout that Patrick Clancy took that night. They started out driving past the CBS, which is about a mile from the home where Patrick got pedilex and skittles. I don't know why, just he picked up some candy for the kids, Like, I don't know why. That part of it just struck a nerve for me.
Speaker 1: I don't know who. I don't know if you remember if that was just a matter of just a matter of fact in adding that detail, or was it added for effect, Like you're sitting here just recalling it now and clutching your chests, right, it's just you hear that, and it it messes with you.
Speaker 2: It does because he was so unsuspecting, he had no idea. He was picking up medicine for his child and got a little candy to go along with it. We've all been there, we've all done that, we all remember when we had young kids, and just it just it brings it home. And then they went by the three V restaurant, which is about five and a half miles away from the family home, where he picked up and they made they got it very specific, a Mediterranean bull and some risotto. Again thought he was coming home to have dinner with his family. And then they yes, went to the home exactly as Patrick did in Duxbury, Massachusetts. And I thought this was interesting. The new owners, we've talked a lot about this. They've renovated some of the home, but someone did buy that home. They actually tried to block this from happening. They actually sought an injunction to block the jury from coming to their home and to their property for purposes of this trial. But the judge overruled it and said, nope, this is important to the case.
Speaker 1: Wondery. Yeah, that's what rights do you have? Apparently none to say stay off my property.
Speaker 2: Because they did say that and it didn't work.
Speaker 1: I don't want cameras here. I don't want this mess here. I don't want a reminder of this here. There might be somebody that home. Maybe they're kids. They don't even realize what had happened. Who knows what? Man, that is something that you have no choice.
Speaker 2: I thought that was really interesting because we didn't know, we haven't heard any That was the first I heard that. Yes, they did not want this to happen. It occurred anyway. The media were they were ordered to stay one hundred yards away. And look you can see there's some images of them trying to just show the buses lining up, but they could not obviously show any jurors, so very limited in what they were able to show or see. But we do know that the jurors were escorted in groups of six, so six at a time, I guess three different groups went in and they went to the basement. Oh, I can't imagine what that was like. And then they went into the yard where Lindsay was found by Patrick after she jumped from that second story window. And it was about a forty minute visit. That's what they said.
Speaker 1: They say, these things help, right, we've been hearing about it, hearing about it just like they have now. They got to see how many steps she took up and down the stairs of the basement, how high was that window she jumped out of. Right, you can say it all day long, and feet and everything else, but ropes, it makes a difference. And they're trying to convince this jury, the prosecution is that this was this was not a real suicide attempt. If you go in there and they said blood was all over the floor office because they's cleaned up now, but they're getting to see the stuff in this room and getting to see would you say, wait a minute, a jump out that window and you said she was just faking it like that kind of stuff matters.
Speaker 2: It does, And so imagine just the emotion behind seeing all of that. After hearing the testimony, you've done and then you got to go back to court and hear more testimony. So yeah, just before noon, testimony resumed and the prosecution called five witnesses. They called two police officers, two er doctors, and a hospital lab technician. And look, some of this stuff was hard to hear, but the police officers were talking about what they saw in terms of Lindsay Clancy's wounds and her condition. One of them testified that the medical staff was not actively treating her wounds, which the prosecutions trying to claim were superficial, But the defense had him confirmed that he did see those blood stains inside and outside the home. And then I thought this was interesting. The second police officer did have to admit from the defense that there was a code blue her first night. He was with her the whole evening, which means that, yes, they thought she was dying.
Speaker 1: I mean, that sounds like she had serious injuries. What wasn't the prosecution at some point trying to call them superficial?
Speaker 2: Correct? And then the er doctor who treated little Dawson at three just described the broken blood vessels on his face, that there was no pulse. They worked on him for forty minutes, but there was no chance. And then the one who treated little eight month old Callen, and this is where Lindsay reportedly began to sob in the courtroom. But they said that he did regain a heartbeat ten minutes after he arrived at the hospital, but there was no brain function.
Speaker 1: You remember baby, the kid on the side here. How long did they work on that kid in Arizona that they found in the morgue?
Speaker 2: Not very sounded like six minutes.
Speaker 1: Or so right in the hospital and the doctor just called it. And then they find the kid and the morgue. How many hours laid.
Speaker 2: Five hours, five hours later.
Speaker 1: I think about that and that that is what I'm talking about. There's a kid, there's in front of you that's dead by all measures. They worked for forty minutes to do anything they could.
Speaker 2: And yes, that's what you imagine, that's what Yes, that's what we've always been I guess that's what I've always heard happen. So that was why that one case was just significant. And yeah, and then this hospital lab supervisor who was the final witness of the day on Friday, gave some background about how her lab worked, but she preserved Lindsay's blood and urine samples that were taken after the killings. And I'm guessing we'll get evidence of what that showed in terms that they were just establishing chain of command and how it was all done properly. So that was significant. That wrapped up Friday. When we come back, we're going to tell you when testimony resumes today on Monday Day, what we are expecting as week two of the Killer Mom trial gets underway. Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ. We are talking about week two now of the Lindsay Clancy triple murder trial. The mom, the thirty five year old Massachusetts mom who is admitted to strangling and killing her three young children, but her defense is that she is not criminally responsible because she was suffering from postpartum psychosis. And look, as we have gone over what the first week's testimony was, it was gruesome, it was emotional, it was chilling. We are expecting now the prosecution to begin presenting evidence that Lindsey Clancy was sane. On January twenty fourth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't wait to hear this expert. But I can't wait. I would love to hear them. The battle of the experts. Now, how do you go about saying Nope, she was faking it, or nope, she doesn't she didn't rise to a certain threshold. This is going to be fascinating. How do you prove somebody saying or not when you got two people with doctor in front of their names saying two doily different things.
Speaker 2: It's true. And so yes, we're expecting psychiatric experts to testify for the prosecution in the days ahead. And I say experts because it'll be certainly more than one. But I'm also curious, like with the reports of just the jurors watching Lindsey Clancy being wheeled into the courtroom. She cannot walk based on the injury she suffered after she threw herself outside of that second story window.
Speaker 1: Injury she's paralyzed for.
Speaker 2: She's paralyzed for the rest of her life. I wonder the sympathy just seeing her sob when they describe her children, seeing her sob during that nine to one one call, seeing her sob throughout this I just I wonder what that is saying to how jurors are experiencing that and how that's going to shape what their verdict ultimately is.
Speaker 1: Robes, there is not a moment we have seen in this courtroom, and we've watched the majority of testimony where she came off like a monster. Nothing they describe about her, nothing that she has shown in the courtroom. Nothing. There was one one something they were going after the prosecution saying she was a control freak. Robes.
Speaker 2: That's though, that's that's what mom isn't. I'll be honest, I'm a control freak. I think every woman understands that.
Speaker 1: You can't see a monster. You do not see anything in her behavior in her past in her present robes that suggests that there were times during that was that Cora the woman out in the with the book.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Cory Richards, Cora Richards robes.
Speaker 1: She's still sitting there, hair pulled back, looks like a young, put together mom Rose. They described and things about her, and we saw some stuff in the courtroom from her.
Speaker 3: They go, whoa pretty monstrous. Yeah, there's nothing of that here, baby, No there is. So how in the world do you convince this jury that's sitting there crying themselves elves watching this woman shape cry paralyzed, and you're going to have to go and say, yep, she is guilty of first degree murder.
Speaker 1: That's a babe. That's so far tough one.
Speaker 2: And look, this is and people have said that Massachusetts in particular, just the way things work in that state, this is going to be This is a heavy lift for the prosecution because, in addition to proving that Lindsay Clancy was sane at the time of the murders, the state also has to establish one of the two theories that she either premeditated these murders in insane fashion, or that she committed extreme atrocity or cruelty in how she murdered them. Look, that might not be as difficult to prove. I don't know. I think murdering a child just is in like just is just cruel period. I don't know how you separate a non cruel murder of a child. I'm not sure what.
Speaker 1: Would even call it. What's the standard for us? Say it again?
Speaker 2: You have to they have to prove that she committed a extreme atrocity or cruelty. So extreme cruelty, extreme atrocity, strangling a child to death.
Speaker 1: They should all qualify. However, the child should qual it. So but it must mean something else if they had to put it in there.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and so they have I think. Look, the main issue is to prove that she was saying. That is going to be That is what is going to be fascinating about the days and weeks to come here, because that is going to be the prosecution's next effort. Obviously, they've established the crime, they've established just the horror of the crime. But now this becomes the real battle back and forth between the prosecution and the defense, and it should begin starting later today, Yes, nine am this morning, so Eastern time. We will continue to watch this trial, bring you all the updates from it. We always appreciate you listening to us. Everyone. I'm Amy Robock alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk soon.