Speaker 1: The following interview was recorded in person at the twenty twenty four Innocent Network conference in New Orleans. On September one, nineteen eighty four, a drive by shooting occurred in front of an apartment building on West Cortland Street in Chicago, Illinois. Two people were killed and one was injured. The shooting was believed to be a part of an ongoing gang feud between the Maniac Latin Disciples and the Insane Dragons. Soon, the surviving witnesses identified two alleged Insane Dragons from a photo array, seventeen year old William Nagron and nineteen year old Robert Almodovar. Despite a strong alibi defense, both young men got life without parole. But this is wrongful conviction. Wrongful conviction has always given voice to innocent people in prison, and now we're expanding that voice to you. Call us at eight three three two oh seven four six sixty six and tell us how these stories make you feel and what you've done to help the cause, even if it's something as simple as telling a friend or sharing on social media, and you might just hear yourself in a future episode. Call us eight three three two oh seven four six sixty six. Welcome back to Wrongful Conviction. This story is like a perfect encapsulation of so many different problems in Chicago law enforcement circles and even on a broader level of people's attitudes towards certain members of the community. And it's a really important episode for that reason. And another reason why is because one of our guests today I'm going to introduced now Jennifer Bonjin, a Bungie and law group. I'm excited to have her here today. Jennifer, thanks for being here, Thank you, and with us today is the man of the hour we're recording here at the Innocent Network conference with the guy I met which was very fortuitous and serendipitous last year at the Instance Network conference in Phoenix. Now we're New Orleans. Robert Albadova or Robert, thanks.
Speaker 2: For being here, well, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: And thanks for last year. You were the guy who told me about Jimmy Soto and I was very right place, right time, happy to be able to be of some assistance to the team that was working to free him.
Speaker 3: And he's like a legend in prison because he's ready to give the law helped like guys get home.
Speaker 1: You and a number of the other Xogneries told me last year, and I was like, well, that's crazy that he's got everybody else home and he's still there. So fortunately he's not there anymore, and he's never going back, and he's actually going to law school. This fall to Lostwestern is going to be It's one of the greatest stories I've heard in all my years of doing We don't want to give away too much of the end of the story, but we're obviously here, which is great. But how you got here it's horrifying. You ran into one of the worst, most corrupt, most dangerous cops in the country, Chicago Police Detective Ronaldo Guivara, who has been responsible for countless wrongful convictions and incredible huge amounts of payouts to people who he wronged that the taxpayers of Chicago I've had and Illinois have had to foot those bills. But before this happened, what was your life like growing up?
Speaker 3: You know, my mom raised me and my brothers and sisters. My dad he didn't live with us. He was basically a drug user. My mom she didn't like my father period on my father's side. That's why she can move far away so my brother, my big brother, Charlie, took me from my mom's house always to my grandfather's house and once she showed me that I'd be going there all the time. My father, one of his sisters is my aunt Gladdess, and she basically kind of took me in whenever it summification came.
Speaker 2: I sticked with her. She like a mom figure. She gave me that love, that attention that I ain't get from my own mom. My mom.
Speaker 3: She tried to do her best, but my mom also was abusive. She useduld me and my brother, my sisters a lot. The station courts ball bucos. You know, my mom was rough and then also lived in our neighborhood is also rough too. We live in the home Park area. Gang infected. You got many Langton typos, you got Spanish corest instant dragons, drug didders. It's just a low income neighborhood, ampy loss everywhere. And at the time my mom was living in Lan King's neighborhood, and then when my father lived at my grandfather's house, you know folks area, its dragons. You know, also a quiet kid, laid back. You know, I never got to no trouble and then as I got older in my teens, that's when, you know, the gangs came into my life because you all still got to remember us, you guys surviving in the same neighborhood.
Speaker 1: As we've heard in other Chicago gang cases, gang affiliation is determined by where you live, not by how actively you're involved. Robert became known to the police as being a fil with the Insane Dragons.
Speaker 4: And here's an interesting piece of this. Robert had no criminal background. He had a couple little my bass yeah, but arrests, no conviction. His rap sheet looks better than mine. Okay, he was a really good kid. There was a gang officer named Mark O'shewsky who basically terrorized Robert on the streets. Robert's girlfriend lived in an area where this police officer sort of lived, kind of adjacent to Humble Park.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yuppie, says, yuppy area of the brick Yard area. She was staying over there, and my cousin also to live over there too, And I was staying there for the summertime, and that's how I met my girlfriend. And during that time I was over there, Osky always harassed me because I stand out, you know, I had to back your clothes, pushed back hat, shaggy.
Speaker 5: He's a pretty boy.
Speaker 2: You know, he said, Okay, I was.
Speaker 3: So so that time he's seen me, he pulled me over and one time he asked me, you know where you're from.
Speaker 2: I said, I'm from Home and Park.
Speaker 3: He was like, man, take your spic ass back to the home park because he's like, fuck up this area. I'm like, I looked at him, like really, And ever since then he's just keep my hangrassing me.
Speaker 1: So, you know, one of the things that stuck out when I was researching your case, I'm reading about how you were categorized as a member of the Insane Dragons gang, and then I'm looking at the alibi. Roberto worked an eleven hour shift at Farley's Chocolate Company on August thirty first, nineteen nighty four, and left work at five pm, then took a bus to Wilbur Wright College, where he attended a class until ten pm, and then took a bus home, where he remained the rest of the night. That would make you the world's most industrious and studious and responsible gang member in the history of the gang culture. Right, But there's a very logical explanation for why that is.
Speaker 2: My girlfriend got pregnant.
Speaker 3: I like, I want to be there for my daughter, and I know by being that lifestyle I won't be able to. So I left it alone. We moved in with my guys. Job that went to right cottage, right cottage base. He provided once you get GD you could pick up a trade and that's my goal.
Speaker 2: Say with that money, give my own place and be there for my daughter.
Speaker 5: It was really on the right path.
Speaker 3: And the funny thing about that, before I ever got locked up with is case.
Speaker 2: I was walking with my girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Osski drove out to me and said, man, you know, education guys haven't cast you yet, but why I do get you?
Speaker 2: You going down for a long time. And this when Loui shit happened, you know.
Speaker 1: And then shortly before one am on September one, nineteen ninety four, a car pulled up in front of a department building in the thirty nine hundred block of West Cortland in Chicago. A passenger fired several gunshots at a group of people. Amy Mrkez and Jorge Rodriguez, who were both eighteen years old, were killed. Twenty year old Jacqueline Grande was shot in the back, but she survived. And another teenager named Kenneally Saiez gove behind a parked car when the shots erupted and somehow miraculously escaped injury. And then the Chicago Police detective Ronaldo Guivara, who our listeners will recognize, gets involved and this night eron folded.
Speaker 4: You know, when I started handling these cases involved Reygavara, I first came with this idea that when you were framed by a police officer, there must be some reason, like prior history, there's some retaliation, there's something right.
Speaker 5: And what I came.
Speaker 4: To learn and Robert's case is a perfect example of it, is no sometimes he just framed people because he could, and he didn't.
Speaker 5: Care who it was.
Speaker 4: Robert had no prior involvement with Reygaevera, And I think what happened is this shooting happens September one, Area five, with Gavara being the big player there. They're not interested in getting the right person finding justice for the family of these victims. They are interested in closing a case as quickly as possible, and it doesn't matter who because all of the young Latino men in Humboldt Park are fungible, interchangeable, doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: It's a body for a body, right exactly.
Speaker 5: It did not matter.
Speaker 4: There was nothing about you know, letting the facts lead you to. You know, what detectors are supposed to do. And the way they would do it is they would work backwards. They would decide based on where the shooting took place and which gangs were at odds with each other, and then say it must be someone from this gang, and then we will narrow the pool from there. So this shooting, they came up with the idea that it was an insane dragon. There's actually never been any real good evidence that the shooting was carried out by an insane dragon, but that's.
Speaker 5: What they started with.
Speaker 4: So, because Robert's prior association was with the insane dragons, and this Olshefsky guy, you know, had it out for Robert, Olshevski was like, a I got a guy for you, and Cavarro was like cool. And here's an interesting piece of this. They didn't have any photos of him because he really had not been in much trouble. So Olshefsky He's like, I know where the kid's cousin hangs out. So they literally did a pretextual arrest of him and his cousin so that they get the polaroid of him to then go manipulate the witnesses.
Speaker 3: So he was rasking my cousin too, And so my uncle decided on what we're going to sell the house.
Speaker 2: We're going to move because his k keep my harasses.
Speaker 3: Then night she's talking about at the time, the house is empty, basically, you know, it's just college refrigerator. Oh SESTI came by the light at the house. My cousin's like, man, I went with talks to him like, man, I go out there to talk to him. Man, you walk in here, he's gonna see us. He's gonna be down some bullshit basically, And sure enough, that's what happened. And soon as she walked in, he's seeing us get on the fucking floor.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait a minute, you know, where's your warring at. You can't just do this.
Speaker 3: He's like, shut the fuck up, him in the back of your head with the pistol, let us down. He wait to the backup, came searched the house, you know, and somehow they found dulfa bag with its shotgun. Allegedly, they had us on the ground. They snatched my cousin up. They took her to the back room and you can hear him just hit him, beating up my cousin. Boom boom boom, and he come out the room, he crying. He said, do you know anything about this murder that happened? I said, I don't know nothing about no damn murder. After that, it took us to Grand Sancho. It was like four of us to put us in a room. And mind you're like, I got arrested by Shiskey so many times I be by myself.
Speaker 2: He locked me up from my bass, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Just harassment, just harassment. Then, I mean so many He never took my porteror picture ever. So this time around he went to the drawer and put out that camera, the poor camera, take our pictures, and then they let you go. Right then, like a week later, I get arrested for this murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, September eleventh, so it was ten days after the crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, they had to go, you know, manipulate the witnesses. And as you pointed out, the Robert had an airtight alibi for the time of the crime. Absolutely he had worked at Farley's Candies, where his aunts worked.
Speaker 5: He had to clack in and out.
Speaker 4: Then he went to his classes and even his teacher signed an affid David long Ago saying, yeah, he was in class that night. And then you know, he took the bus home. His girlfriend wasn't home with the baby, and he was kind of upset that it was so late and she wasn't home with the baby. And she got home and they have screaming match, yelling for like hours, and his aunts actually called his cousin and said, Junior, they call him Junior in the family and Sassy are fighting. Can you come try to you know, come, and they came. There were so many alibi witnesses and this is all at the exact same time that this murder was going down.
Speaker 1: Of course that didn't matter. I mean, you could have been playing center for the bulls in front of twenty thousand people. They still would have convicted you.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, So Gavera basically took a polaroid of Robert and got Kenney Saez, who was in a gang. Obviously his best friend and his girlfriend was killed. Emotions running high. You want vengeance, and a cop says to you, this is the guy who did it. All you got to do is go in and identify him. He's like, I'll go along with that. Sure, even though now he says I never saw who did it.
Speaker 1: No, he's busy diving a car, looked trying to stay alive. Yeah, yes, that's pretty hard to see. And of course then there's the added pressure if you want to get somebody because you were there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kennelly, he says, gave some very powerful testimony at his evidentiary hearing. He felt so guilty. He was in a gang, he was out there, his girlfriend, she came to see him. You know, he's like, I can't possibly not do this when my girlfriend shot and killed. You know, the family is upset with me, as it is.
Speaker 1: And this is also a period in time when the Chicago PD was torturing not only suspects but also witnesses.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Gavarro, there's a history of that people who he wanted as witnesses, who were uncooperative.
Speaker 5: They then got targeted.
Speaker 1: So you were arrested September eleventh, ten days after this horrible crime, and.
Speaker 2: Then that guy locked up. They basically asked me about the murder.
Speaker 3: I teld him I didn't do nothing, and then they basically telling listen, I guess your buddy in the room, saying that you did it. I'm like, I don't care who you got. You can have Jesus, I didn't do this shit. You got the wrong person. So they put us in the lineup. And that's why I met see Willie, my cult defendant.
Speaker 2: That's Willy. What the fuck? I don't know?
Speaker 3: I said, man, you know, did you do this? Or I ain't doing none of this. So they put us in the lineup. Of course, the witnesses point us out, and then they charged us for the murder. And now I'm handcuffed to the wall in the room by myself, just got the shitty look, tears in my eye. I think, I'm not I can't believe this is happening to me. And I never met this guy in my life, Guerrero, so I don't know why he stashed me up. And then the door opened up, olshshky stick his head in, liot at me and say gotcha, and he closed the door out of this motherfucker. And that's why I put it together.
Speaker 5: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: It's fucking sinister, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It's sinister. And when we deposed him. I asked him about that. He didn't really deny it. He said, I don't know if I said that. I may have said I told you. I'm like, well, it's pretty similar.
Speaker 2: So Shesky was how Grero got a wow.
Speaker 5: Basically, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean police officers would go to Gavera to do the dirty work.
Speaker 5: It wasn't just him doing it.
Speaker 4: They were all dirty, but they would get Goavera to do the heavy lifting.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Wrongful Conviction. You can listen to this and all the Lava for Good podcasts one week early and ad free by subscribing to Lava for Good Plus on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 3: The process of going to kind of jail, they're lying up against the wall. You gotta get asshole naked right next to somebody else right next to you. Officers coming down make you bend over with spasce cheeks. You know, it's just embarrassing, you know, And then that's just that. You guys see the doctor, they call him the dick doctor. So you go in there, you take a que tip or something and pinion pee hope as shit was just like what the fuck?
Speaker 4: Nineteen years old too, so young, never had this experience.
Speaker 3: Never in my life. I wait, what one p thirty five parties soaking wet? You know, skinny kid, you know I got up front. I was you know, I was scared. You walk in there and your pack of people just looking at you, which should be about the screaming to like what the David gangs, you know they run everything basically in there. You don't find the rules, You'll be asked, will stabbed, may be killed. It was just a a whole nother world.
Speaker 2: Man. Wow.
Speaker 1: So this is September of nineteen ninety four. I'm assuming there was either no bail or an unreachable amount of bail.
Speaker 2: Right, And there's no bail. They give us no bail, no bail at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now now you're in there for fourteen months awaiting trial.
Speaker 2: Right, First of all, stay attorney was sticking at death.
Speaker 4: Pending on a nineteen year old with no criminal history.
Speaker 1: The death penalty, which is reserved for the worst of.
Speaker 5: The worst, the worst of the worst.
Speaker 1: It's a sure for anyone because we shouldn't have a death penalty.
Speaker 5: But that's agreed, agreed, it should be for no one.
Speaker 2: I was scared. I was scared. It wanted to kill him, murdered me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jennifer, why don't you take.
Speaker 2: Us through this?
Speaker 4: It was an incredibly weak case and hinged entirely on the testimony of two witnesses who were manipulated to some degree into making identifications. We had Jackie Grande, who actually admitted to Robert's prior lawyer that preceded his trial attorney, that she had essentially been shown who to pick out.
Speaker 5: And then Kennily Sayez.
Speaker 4: Prior to trial, admitted that Gavara had shown him a photograph and said this is who you need to choose in the lineup. He admitted it prior to trial, and then guess what happened. Shockingly, he was arrested himself and they were like, you're going to have to go back to your original story or you know, we can really fuck your life up. And so by the time he hit the stand, he was back with the lie. So we now have two witnesses who, even if they were not manipulated, wouldn't have giving reliable testimony because, as we pointed out earlier, the circumstances under which this shooting happened, the shooter is shooting from the back of a car, are in a dark street seconds people trying to avoid getting hit by bully.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, under the best of circumstances, you wouldn't be able to rely on those identifications. And now you have police officers saying this is who you need to pick out, and Robert's alibi they put the alibi defense on. But the end of the day in the nineties, the police win and he went to prison, sentenced to life.
Speaker 1: November thirtieth, nineteen ninety five, you and Willie Nigron convicted the first degree murders for the deaths of Rodriguez and Murcus, and attempted murder and aggravated battery of Siaz Grande, and each sentence to life without parole. We know the cops knew that you were innocent. Do you think the prosecutors knew?
Speaker 5: I don't know how they couldn't have.
Speaker 3: You know, I was blessed to have a family that was there for me, especially my aunt Gladdness.
Speaker 2: She did everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did everything for me everything. I got sentiment the ark eight hours away from the city at the time. My daughter was like think three years old. My aunt God bless herself. She paid for my lawyer fee. She set my phone calls. She sent me money, my own mob that shit. But my aunt did everything for me. At the end of the day, she ken't be going.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she got them through.
Speaker 3: My other aunts to be married to the Irish there there too. But the one that took the blovet what's my aunt gladness And that's just her husband.
Speaker 2: He's like, you know, do what you need to do.
Speaker 5: Tell people, Yeah, they mortgaged their house to buy.
Speaker 3: These are not rich people, no and sacrifice. She live in the basement of her father's house on finished basement to help pay the loan that she took out to pay for her lawyers, so they had to live in the fucking home, finished.
Speaker 4: Basement, and then would also go to protests. You know, they were out there advocating as well, like actually trying to bring attention to.
Speaker 2: The case, to the case.
Speaker 3: Then one day I'm in the yard and I met this guy Angel Rodriguez, right, yeah, Asie Rodriguez, basically from the same neighborhood that he told him by his case. He said, I got convera too, and he told him by his sister is trying to form it a committee of run COVID. The people with family members so he gave me his sister phone number against him, my aunt, and they formed this committee we demand justice from there.
Speaker 2: He just blew up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's an incredible story of sort of the community, largely women, the ants, the sisters, you know, mothers, coming together having loved ones who are incarcerated, who they leave our innocent by sharing those stories amongst themselves. They're like Gavara's on your case. They did spreadsheets, they made the connection that Gavarro was framing their loved ones, and they were out there protesting, rallying, and even trying to bring it to the Chicago Police department. They even went to the FBI in the nineties and was really fucked up.
Speaker 5: Is the FBI knew it.
Speaker 4: They knew it because Gavara was doing business with Joe Mazinowski, who's a notoriously corrupt police officer, and they look the other way.
Speaker 1: It's pretty depressing, you know, We've got such a long history of doing these shows. I don't know, but I think if anyone actually did an analysis, I think you'd find more women who are heroes in these stories than anyone wouldn't have any reason to expect. It's amazing because the courage that it took. They were putting their liberty at risk as well, because these cops would stop at nothing. So we're going to dedicate this episode to them. But how did this get resolved?
Speaker 5: I'll give you the quick version.
Speaker 4: Evidence was being red field of this pattern and practice of misconduct of Reygavara. Northwestern had done some amazing work. Jane Railey started developing evidence.
Speaker 1: Another super woman.
Speaker 4: Another super really and put all this evidence together that you know, the guys started having access to right. They didn't necessarily have access for a lawyer or money for a lawyer, but they were able to put together pro say post conviction petitions, meaning they wrote them themselves.
Speaker 1: As we mentioned earlier, Robert joined forces with an incredible jail house lawyer named Jimmy Sodo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a seminari about two or three years. He's like a legend of the law. I picked his mind, he helped me out, and the basically he got me home.
Speaker 4: Jimmy Soto, did your pro say petition right, basically saying there's this pattern in practice misconduct. I was framed by this guy and he manipulated the eyewitness testimony goes into a petition of course, you know, the judge immediately dismissed it.
Speaker 5: It went up on appeal.
Speaker 4: The appellate court said no, it should go back four additional proceedings under the Post Conviction Hearing Act. And then I think Robert got my name from Jimmy Soda exactly.
Speaker 2: And that sent her letter as a copy of my opinion.
Speaker 4: The appellate court opinion. That sent it back for further proceedings.
Speaker 2: And that's when she gave me a call and.
Speaker 5: I came and visited him.
Speaker 2: And that first phone call was awesome.
Speaker 1: Though, what year is that?
Speaker 2: Thirteen?
Speaker 3: You know, you get these cous from lawyers, you'd be all professional. Her started talking to one of the guys from the street. She's cursedly laughing right like. She sounded like a truck driver.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm like, wow, cool. So my only question to her was, you know, when shit they'll go your way? Are you going to talk to your wrong She's like, fuck no, I'm gonna fight this case all the way, so you come home.
Speaker 2: I said, all right, cool, Bet, I want you to represent me in the rest.
Speaker 5: It's history, this history.
Speaker 4: So we were in front of a judge. Judge Lynn was not his original trial judge, but had presided over his post conviction proceedings and had summarily shut him down.
Speaker 5: I was not a fan. He was not a fan of me.
Speaker 1: Great place to start there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I told Robert from the stuff, I don't think we're going to fucking win.
Speaker 5: In front of this guy.
Speaker 2: I agree with her too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's already ruled against you. For him to admit he had gotten it wrong, he's such an egotistical maniac. He's not going to do it. So we have to prepare to win before the appellate court. So we started an evidentiary hearing that lasted two years, not straight every day, but one day of testimony the next day. I mean, it went on for quite some time. And this was in the Anita Alvarez days pre Kim Fox, so the state they weren't hearing anything about innocence. And I don't know how many times he threatened to hold me in contempt, but it was a number. I got to the point I'm like, bring it, you keep threatening it, do it.
Speaker 2: That is my family was terrified. Don't do this. I don't want to get locked up. No, she doing what she needs to do.
Speaker 4: Oh no, He would be like Ms Boungie, you are so unprofessional sometimes, and I said, and you are sexist. I would put everything on the record, and he just did not know what to do with me. He didn't really want to lock me up, but he wanted to threaten it to control me.
Speaker 1: But despite this contentious relationship and what appeared to be like an allergy to evidence of actual innocence, outside of these proceedings, not only had Kim Fox been elected as Cook County State's Attorney, but also an independent investigation into Quevara was underway in which they chose four of his cases as examples, and one of them was Roberts.
Speaker 4: So we have the city of Chicago hiring a private law firm, Siddley and Austin, a big fancy law firm, to do this investigation that concludes that Robert's more likely than not innocent. We even brought it before the judge, is part of our post conviction evidence. Didn't move the needle at all. So we continued to fight, and Kim Fox then came into office. So we're going into closing arguments for our post conviction proceeedings. And I remember that weekend just having such a pit in my stomach that I just knew that this judge was going to fuck us, And I said, you know what, I'm going to pack that courtroom. We are going to have a big pro test that day. We are going to bring attention because if he's gonna fuck us, I want everybody to see it.
Speaker 5: I want the.
Speaker 4: Newspapers there to see it. And Monday we show up, big protest outside. We go to the courtroom. The courtroom is filled. I argued the hell out of this case. And at one point the state's attorney turned around to the audience the gallery and she's like, do you think I would be up here if I believed Ray Gavarro was a bad cop?
Speaker 5: And you could hear everybody going uh huh.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: There was like this collective silently though it wasn't like disruptive, but it was just this incredible energy, and the judge was so angry about it. I was convinced he was going to still fuck us. He isn't going to make his ruling that day. We go in the back and Celeste says to me, that's the state's attorney. She goes, will he take time served? We can reduce it? Wants to now cut a deal and I went back to him.
Speaker 2: I'm like, fuck, no.
Speaker 4: No, And then I immediately leaked it to BuzzFeed that they had made that offer, because you know, it's despicable. And then the state ultimately reached out. Kim Fox called me directly. She said, you know, I'm new to the office, I'm getting up to speed, and you know, we didn't really realize what was going on. They ultimately did the right thing to agree to post conviction relief and dismiss his case. And I got to hand it to them because the first assistant, Eric Susman, called the judge up. He told the judge, we might want to get counsel on the phone for mister Elmodovar. I just want to let you know some developments in our office, Judge, and he's like, no, we don't need we don't need her to tell me what's going on now. That's completely ex party in inappropriate. You cannot be having one sided conversations, absolute judicial misconduct. And Susman says, we want to agree to relief and vacate the convictions, and the judge goes, why are you going to do that.
Speaker 5: I'm going to rule your way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ex party, and to their credit, they said, thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about a rig system, right, that's gross.
Speaker 4: After Eric Susman gave this deposition that the judge demanded the next party conversation and basically said I'm going to rule your way. I got that deposition and I walked into Judge Lynn's courtroom like two years later.
Speaker 5: I sat in the front row.
Speaker 4: And he hates to see me in there. He's like, ms Bongi, and you have something in here? I said, well, Judge, actually I was hoping to get a minute of your time in chambers. And he's like, do I need approver? I said, yeah, bring one. Approver is like a witness to the conversation. And I said I'll bring my own. So we went back there and I said, here's the transcript. I think it's absolutely despicable. Basically what you did, Jennifer. That's not how I remember going down exactly. I don't remember it going down that way. Oh well, A former US attorney and an assistant States Attorney under Oath said something different, but you should have this.
Speaker 1: You held him in contempt.
Speaker 5: I did. I held him in contempt.
Speaker 1: So finally, when did you actually walk out.
Speaker 3: After the closing argument? Thursday, I get a call and I got some good news. You coming home, Like when like tomorrow you coming home from I was like, get them. I'm like, no, no, you already coming home tomorrow. And for so real, you know, you think about this day, you dream about it. And she actually telling me why I want to hear. So I'm just ecstatic. I'm happy. I'm a clown. Nine.
Speaker 2: As I'm walking out.
Speaker 3: I see my friend of mine that we were locked up together him and are He does a barber I tell him I'm coming home. I beat my case, no fuck, and we hugged right there in the hallway. He's crying. I'm crying. I was like, man, hey, can't get a haircut. He's like, man, walk in the barbershop. And while my guy gave him a haircut, he telling everybody about my case. So everybody walking us and me touched me trying to get that luck, good luck off of them.
Speaker 2: And when they fighting, just dropped the case and everything. It was mad.
Speaker 3: He wasn't happy about it because he wanted to not my ass, but unfortunately he didn't even get what he wants, so fuck him and were walking until you get processed. And this is the part that kind of felt so real to me. They took me to the room. Ain't got my clothes. I took the clothes off. I pay on street clothes, and one of the officers she looked at me and said, man, you look good.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna walk you by the lady lock up. They're gonna love you. So she did that. All the ladies are screaming, hey, Poppy, what's up going on?
Speaker 3: But anyway, and I'm sending down the way to get my fringing prints and my picture taken. I was sitting down. I see a bus coming in Gay's on the noon, coming into the county getting processed in. I don't look at that. I just thinking about that when I first came in. That was me twenty three years ago. And after they took my picture of my fringing prince. So as I walk up, I see everybody. I see my baby girl right there, my daughter, Jasmine, and she's just jumping my arm, gave me a big hug, and I'm like, he's dreaming about this type of shit all my life. When I got lot Us, she was six months old. I come out, she's a young lady, twenty three years old, you know, And it was so emotional. One of the bit beside her being born, is like one of the best ever in my life. And then run into that crowd, seeing my father, my aunt hugging my ass saying that we finally did it. You know, we fucking did it. We're here and seeing Jennifer. It was just it was amazing. Buzzfree was there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they recorded the whole thing, the whole live stream, did.
Speaker 2: I It was just it was a good Friday too. I will never forget it.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, that's a great place to wrap this up. But we always have one special feature of the show called Closing Arguments where I think both of you again, and then I'm gonna turn my microphone off, kick back in my chair and listen to anything else you think we may have left out. Why don't you go first, Jennifer and what do you got?
Speaker 4: There's so many stories associated with Robert's case. You know, I've been representing him a very long time. I've known his family a long time, and I remember, you know, the first time I went to visit him at Minard and they always say, you know, you're doing the time or the time to do it, you you know, And I think some people have this fortitude to survive these conditions, and I frankly don't know that I would ever have it. And I've seen people who have it and people who don't, and it's heartbreaking obviously for people that prison is doing them. But Robert, you know, he came in for the visit, giant smile on his face. I was like, this guy, you would think he was coming in from like the country club or something like. He's so positive and he has a natural life sentence and there are no guarantees that I'm going to be able to get him home. This system has not worked for him. Just this incredible optimism. It just blew me away. And even when I had to deliver you know, some bad news or you know, we things were stacked against us not looking good, never ever lost his optimism, his again fortitude. I don't know how else to describe it. And it's like no other person I really ever met. And then to come out and just be doing great work. He works as a clerk for US in Chicago, and that means all types of things. He runs a lot of errands, but he also does important work of getting recent axonneries back on their feet, helps them navigate a system they're not familiar with. He even watched my daughter's dog in Chicago who bid him? So you know, he puts up with a lot. But he's a writer.
Speaker 5: Die.
Speaker 4: We are forever bonded as friends apart from you know, this incredible relationship as attorney client, but you know, I consider him one of my best friends.
Speaker 2: Wow, thank you.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love this woman to the you know, I told I do anything for her, and she's amazing. She walked the walk at the end of the day, you know, and she's real, she's one hundred. There's no fucking around with her. She just told you like it is. And that's what I love about her, you know. Besides her, and know Javii Solo, you know, big influence in my life. Another friend of mine named top Dog. He also kind of helped me on two of my posts, you know. And also Melissa Sagora she's a reporter for Buzzfree News and she wrote the story about my story also all the covers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a curt Well. I think like two years to write that story.
Speaker 4: I think she did a lot of good investigative journalists amazing work.
Speaker 2: I love her too. She did a great job and bought the light to Mike Kate.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Wrongful Conviction. You can listen to this and all the Lava for Good podcasts one week early by subscribing to Lava for Good Plus on Apple Podcasts. I want to thank our production team Connor Hall and Kathleen Fink, as well as my fellow executive producers Jeff Kempler, Kevin Wartis, and Jeff Cliburn. The music in this production was supplied by three time OSCAR nominated composer Jay Ralph. Be sure to follow us across all social media platforms at Lava for Good and at Wrongful Conviction. You can also follow me on Instagram at It's Jason Flamm. Wrongful Conviction is a production of Lava for Good Podcasts and association with Signal Company Number one