Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Mollie John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best.
Speaker 2: Minds, and JD Vance says, childless teachers disturb him. We have such a great show for you today with the last of our interviews from the DNC. Congressman Jared Mosquitz drops by to update us on his chaotic friendship with Congressman James Comer. Then Colorado Governor Jared Polis talks to us about minding your own business and how it makes a state thrive. Then Senator Chris Murphy tells us how gun control is affecting the election. Then Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson tells us how Michigan's women are running the state effectively. Then we'll talk to Congressman Susan del Bene about the success of the DNC. But first we have the host of the Think Like an Economists podcast, University of Michigan, Professor Justin Wolfers.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Fast Politics.
Speaker 4: Justin Fast Politics and Fast Economics, Molly.
Speaker 1: There were so many things this week that I wanted to call you and ask you about, but I thought I shouldn't. I should wait and have you on the podcast so that everyone could benefit from your knowledge.
Speaker 3: I'm here for you, mate, exactly.
Speaker 1: But the first thing I want you to explain to us about is these adjustments to numbers. So I want you to explain to us what they mean, what they are, and are they nefarious in any way.
Speaker 4: I'm going to lead with they're not nefarious. I'm going to follow up with a compliment, which is my word. You've gone deeply wonky when you want to talk about revisions to non farm payrolls. There was a time when I was considered one key for knowing about this.
Speaker 1: But I've seen a lot of revisions to non farm payrolls, a lot of revisions, and so that's why I wanted.
Speaker 4: To Molly, You're going to lose your whole audience if we talk about revisions to nonfirm payrolls. Let me just explain for the audience, Okay, yes, please. Measuring the economy is hard, right. We only get the opportunity to do it in a really complete way. Say how many Americans are? They once every ten years with the census. When we're trying to measure how many jobs there are, we do something quite similar. We count up all of the unemployment insurance records and look across the entire government for every record we have of every company and who they're employing. But we only do that rarely and with a delay because it takes so much time and work. So the numbers that we get every month you see them reported on the news, are basically an estimate, and then every year what we do is we go back and correct them once we have this better, fuller count. That recently happened and it said that the US economy had fewer jobs than the initial estimate had suggested. Not enough, fewer. It dramatically changed our view of the economy, but enough that nerds like me should care, not enough that vibrant media personalities like you should. This is a very normal thing. It happened under Trump, it happens under Biden. It's happened since time immemorial. The size of this revision was normal, the process of this revision was normal. But because the world we live in is abnormal, some political talking heads thought, once you say a number, that number must always be your best estimate, and you can never take account of anything that's true. And if the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which is full of nerds who have no political interest. Change is their best estimate of a number, It must be because of blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really, it's not one point, ye're gon.
Speaker 4: Well, there's just way less here than meets the eye. I know people at the Bureau of Labor Statistics. I know that if there were interference, they would be at a minimum whispering to people like me and at a maximum resigning and leaking legacif so, the economic numbers that come from the US government, and I want to be clear, under Trump and under Biden and under every previous president are reliable. I'm not saying every number is always reliable, but they're honestly collected and they write down the rules of the game for how are they going to do it before they do it, and they follow the rules of the game, and if they ever were to deviate from that, I would be the first to yell bloomer, as would the staff. You can just believe the numbers.
Speaker 1: Right, I think that's really important. So what you're saying is that these are non partisan workers in the federal government.
Speaker 4: These are the nerdiest nerds. They're beautiful people who cared deeply about the truth and wrote down the rules of how they would do this in advance and simply followed those rules. And this was business as normal. And by the way, the numbers were bad for the team that I cheer for, but I still am confident they're the right numbers released the not the right No number is ever right right. What statistical agencies do is they try and make their numbers less wrong.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 4: That's what a revision is. And this was totally normal. So look, it's that silly season where in a for some reason every year in the Olympic years, just after the Olympics finished, people start saying silly things about the economy and politics. I haven't figured out why, but that silly season. We're in the middle of it.
Speaker 3: Really interesting silly season. We're in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: Now, explain to me where we are right now with the economy.
Speaker 4: We're good, not quite great, but good. So one thing that's important to remember. You'll hear different things about the economy because people are talking about different things. So there's the level where are we there's the rate of change, where are we going? And then there's the rate of change of the rate of change, are we accelerating or not? So where are we? Inflation is now two points something percent. Just before the pandemic, inflation was two points something percent in English. Inflation is normal. May not feel like it because it only just got back down to normal, but it's normal. Unemployment it's at four and a bit percent. It's been as low as three and a bit percent. That's low. It's not quite a fifty year low, but it's really close, so that's pretty good. Wages are growing. They're growing faster than prices, and wages have grown by more since the pandemic than prices did. So as much as we all hate what's happened at the grocery store, for most Americans, they're purchasing power has kept up and in fact better than that. Wage growth has been strongest for those who needed at most, those at the bottom. That is really new in its new news. So people may not feel great about the economy, but that's because we've always it's something we always want to be a little bit better. But in terms of the objective numbers, things are okay now. The other thing is the economy is getting back to normal. We've had three years of just extraordinary numbers because of the recovery from the pandemic. Right, so things are improving, but they're improving at a normal rate. Previously they were improving at a spectacular rate. And so for what you did, as you moved from the level to the rate of change, you'd say, oh, the rate of change is not as good as it previously was. That's right. That's an economy getting back to normal though, And that's okay.
Speaker 1: Right, really interesting and important. So explain to us what that looks like, kind of in the sort of like will those other will the will prices come down?
Speaker 3: And also like Parris has a price gouging kind.
Speaker 1: Of she wants to enact some kind of anti price gouging parlor.
Speaker 3: See, do you think a that that's doable?
Speaker 1: Be that price gouging is happening, and to see that this is the way to do it.
Speaker 4: I want to talk directly to our listeners here, and I'm going to really take you to task him.
Speaker 5: Molly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been doing this quite a lot recently. I was on Seeing in the other day and they sort of said so. Looking at Harris's policies, page seventeen, sub Section two, footnote three. I'm really worried it won't work very well. So what I think we should all and this is not just about you and me, because I think ultimately we have a part of an audience here right right. The election is not going to be one by talking heads like you and me. It's going to be one in real conversations around dinner tables. So the advice I want to give your listeners is, let's not spend time defending sub section thirty two footnote three hand back. The question is what are we going to do about the cost of living? That's what this price gouging thing is about. Harris has a plan. You could like it, you can dislike it. Trump's plan he announced, don't mean his big economic speech last week. Do you know what it is?
Speaker 3: Tariffs witch our inflationary.
Speaker 4: It's actually even better than that. Here's his plan, literally what he said. He said in my first week, I'm going to sign an executive order directing all my cabinet secretaries to come back with me for ideas on how to get inflation done.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: That's the plan. I'm going to call some guys right right, and I'm going to ask them to come up with ideas. That's his plan. That's the level of seriousness of the economic debate that we're getting from that side of politics. I'm going to call a guy after the election. I'm going to call twelve guys after the election and ask him how to do it. That's my policy. So that's not a plan, that's a process. The guys had four years in the political wilderness to come up with here's how I would solve cost of living problems, and he's come up with I'm going to call some guys, so I think that's worth noting. And then the reality is the only serious policy the guy has announced is.
Speaker 3: Tariffs, right, which are inflationary.
Speaker 4: Tent across the board, tariff on all imported goods. And then he says a tariff is not attacks, and don't worry, the Chinese will pay it. Turns out I know some Chinese manufacturers, and if you say to them, if your costs raised by a dollar, what will you do to your prices? We leave them the same and eat the cost of that tax, or you raise your prices thereby passing it on to American consumers. They all say the latter, right, of course, And in fact that's what they did with the last set of Trump tariffs. This is not a tax on China and other countries. It's a tax on your listeners, Every imported good we buy is going to have a much higher tax on it. Moreover, what stops American corporations from raising their prices often it's the forces of competition. So in fact, when Trump raised tariffs on washing machines a few years ago, the price of foreign washing machines went up. But you know what else happened. American washing machine companies raise their prices.
Speaker 3: Just as much because they could.
Speaker 4: Because they could, So we know what this does to the cost of living. It's all going to get passed through. It's inflationary. So anything you didn't like from the last four years, you're getting it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean I think that's a really important point. And again, look, there is an American manufacturing issue, right, but if you're going to talk about American manufacturing, then you should talk about the largest boon to American manufacturing, which was a Chips to Act, right.
Speaker 4: Not just that. The Chips Act is about high skill manufacturing, quality jobs. And interesting thing is, look, I'm not a big fan of this. People on both sides of politics are all about trying to rescue manufacturing jobs. And I'm just going to give you my bourgeois view. I've been to a factory. I don't really want my kid to work in one. I don't know what's so cool about manufacturing relative to teaching, or research and development, or tourism or hospitality or all of the million other jobs in the world. Well, it used to be that there was a reason to care of manufacturing, which was these were high wage jobs. That's not true anymore. Manufacturing jobs now have lower average wages than the rest of the economy. So if we spend more time growing that sector, or actually growing a low wage sector rather than the high wage sector. So I'm not in love with this idea, but that you're a right to say the Chips Act at least is pushing us on the right end of manufacturing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean part of the Chips Act, and part of why this manufacturing needed to be in the United States was because when the pandemic came, and you know, we don't know that we'll have another pandemic, but it certainly showed us the many supply chain problems that America had.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: And so I hope you'll join me, Molly. I'm going to be anti pandemic. That's my decision.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think with the chips manufacturing in the United States, part of that was anxiety about China going to war with Taiwan.
Speaker 4: There are so many issues there, including many above my pay grade.
Speaker 3: Yes, and mine too.
Speaker 1: I have to say, I try really hard to stay out of foreign policy stuff because it is so complicated and there are so many factors that I'm not completely read in on, which is sort of me quite well.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mollie, can we get back to this. I don't want to hijack. You might have great questions.
Speaker 3: No, please hijack.
Speaker 4: Let's practice. It's Thanksgiving and you're sitting around the table and your uncle says something something something about the economy. I want you to think about, what is it you're going to say back next now, because you're going to win your uncle over, but maybe your cousin's there as well. How we and our audience can talk about the economy in more direct personal ways, because I think that's so important that we'll win to do that.
Speaker 6: See.
Speaker 1: I mean what I would say, and what I have thought about this is that you know, America struggles with inflation, but much much, much less than other wealthy countries. So part of what's happened is that, actually the proof that Bynomics has worked is that America doesn't have the inflation that Now Britain is obviously a different thing, and Trump is in Britain, we're able to get Brexit passed, and so they did in fact sanction themselves in the UK. But even in Italy and France and Germany and other countries still have higher rates of inflation than America does. And that's because, you know, the Biden administration pumped a lot of money into this economy and that actually turned out to not be inflationary.
Speaker 4: Great, so let's be even simpler, right, So it turns out I just watched the Olympics. You can win Olympic gold without setting a world record. All you got to do is be better than the other folks, because sometimes like it's rainy and it's you know, that slows you down. In the economic Olympics, the US has lower inflation than almost all our competitives. We've had faster economic growth since the pandemic than almost all of our competitives. So as much as you may not like what's happened. It happened all around the world, and it happened less badly here gold for America.
Speaker 1: You know, America tends to be very America centric. And so right now Trump is running on this idea that somehow inflation was Biden's fault and that and even I've heard them say that, even that the you know, chips they can't you know, they don't call it chips because you know, but they've said biinomics was inflationary.
Speaker 3: Which it wasn't.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of anxiety when there's started that bidnomics may was actually inflationary. I mean, there was a lot of worries that we were going to go into a recession.
Speaker 3: Can you talk to us about this soft landing we're in one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, your beauty, isn't this fabulous? And so that's part of what I mean about the Economic Olympics, which is we had high inflation. It did occur, it's now behind us. It's important that people understand the reality. Grocery prices haven't risen a penny in six months they were rising, they haven't risen anymore. Inflation did hit crazy levels nine percent, it's back down to normal, and it's going to continue. It looks like it's going to continue to fall. So again, just very simple stories here that what you feel and what you're hearing in the media environment may not always be right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's really important, and I also think that it is important to sort of pull back and look at the fundamentals of actually the Biden administration has done a lot of really good stuff, even voters you know, the polling shows that voters.
Speaker 3: Are mad at them.
Speaker 1: Harris is I think more pro business than Biden. You know, she comes from California, she's worked hard with Silken Valley, and she's also younger, right, so she comes from a different generation that's a little bit more pro business. I think Biden was a kind of from an older generation where it was more of a choice, whereas I think Harris feels she can sort of, you know, solve all these problems together. Do you think that's right, and tell me where you are on that.
Speaker 4: I think that's right. I think I'm not confident that that's right. I think you and I reading the tea leaves a little bit. But I want to draw a distinction that I think is important, and I really reinforce this to my students, economists are not pro business. We're pro markets. It's because we believe the forces of competition are what pushed greater innovation, and they push businesses to deliver the low prices that mean you and I can afford to get by. It's pro competition that, if you want to use the language of economics, that's what one to be. Now that's an important distinction because Trump is pro business. And the thing about being pro business is you're about helping existing businesses. But to misuse terminology, there's the unborn businesses. There's the small businesses that are yet to be started. There's the new ideas and the new innovations that lay somewhere down the track, and it's the forces of competition that are really going to help them, right, right, right. And so you might feel, oh, a business guy is the right thing. That's not right. It's a competition person that you want. And that's where I think Harris is really stepping up to the plate. It's actually a very very strongly pro economics thing. To be pro competition.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think what you're saying is really important because trump Ism is not pro business. They're pro crony capitalism.
Speaker 4: Pro existing businesses, and often at yours in my expense. Right, so let's give our mates big tax breaks. Well, if they're not paying the taxes, we are right exactly when they decide that they will s hought inefficient companies and make you and I pay higher tariff so those companies can stay in business. That helps that business, but it hurts you and I. It hurts our purchasing power. There's a range of issues where he is. In fact, I'm willing to say pro business, but that's not pro market, pro competition, pro worker, or pro consumer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell us why unions are good for capitalism.
Speaker 4: Look, there's two things unions do. When you have a really healthy relationship between a union and a work and the bosses, then the unions can help take all of the understanding and insights of how a company works from the shop floor and communicate that to management, and therefore the factory makes more pies. And that's not true in every industry in the United States. It's much more true, for instance, in Germany. But it actually can help the bus as much as it helps the workers, and so it enlarges the size of the pie. The second thing is what unions do is they try to make sure that workers get a fair slice of the pie. And in the United States, over the part last forty years, for many workers, their real wages were barely moving. We had tremendous economic growth, and working class folks weren't getting their fair share. And so when I see unions standing up for that, I think it helps the whole project. It helps people share in the fruits of many of these reforms, which are quite painful. So I think asking the working class to bear all the pain of economic reform but not giving them some of the benefit undermines the possibility that we can reinvent the economy. And so my pitch for unions is when they're helping the working class get their fair share, that's fantastic. And sometimes they can also help the bosses in a way that will make the whole factory run a little.
Speaker 3: Smarter, interesting and so important. Thank you, Thank you, justin.
Speaker 4: Always a pleasure, Maley.
Speaker 2: We have even more toward dates for you. Did you know the linked projects Rick wils that have Fast Politics Mali jug Faster are heading out on to work to bring you native labs for our dark political landscape. Join us on August twenty sixth that San Francisco at the Swedish ark And Hall, or in la on August twenty seventh at the Regent Theater. Then we're headed to the Midwest. We'll be at the Vivarium in Milwaukee on the twenty first of September, and on the twenty second we'll be in Chicago at City Winery. Then we're going to hit the East coast. On September thirtieth, We'll be in Boston at Arts at the Armory. On the first of October, we'll be in affiliate City Winery, and then DC on the second at the Miracle Theater. And today we just announced that we'll be in New York on the fourteenth of October at City Winery. If you need to laugh as we get through this election and hopefully never hear from a guy who lives in a golf club again, we got you covered. Join us in our surprise guests to help you laugh instead of cry your way through this election season and give you the inside analysis of what's really going on right now. Buy your tickets now by heading to Politics as Unusual dot bio. That's Politics as Unusual dot bio. Congressman Jared Moskowitz represents Sporta's twenty third district.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to fast politics. So I have driven everyone around me to eating fried food, though I did eat a b of chocolate. Today we are at day seven thousand Democratic National Convention Committee whatever.
Speaker 3: We have been here for such a long time. I have Jared Moswitz.
Speaker 1: This is the second time I interviewed Congressman Monstacts. He's back. He is wearing sneakers. They actually are quite cool.
Speaker 3: We are talking about his very from.
Speaker 7: This is the lightest microphone I have ever heard. It's held, by the way.
Speaker 3: It's not real. It's fate.
Speaker 1: You are famous for many things, but you are on the Oversight Committee, and you do have a very fraught relationship with one member of Congress, James Comer birthday twin to me, except he's about four hundred years older than I am.
Speaker 7: Discuss well, I mean, look, I consider Jame a friend. Okay, quite frankly, he does not consider you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know that that's mutual.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 7: I mean, look, I think James and I have like a little thing going. Obviously got under his skin and then he decided, like in his his brain one day.
Speaker 3: Want The backstory for everyone.
Speaker 1: Who has not completely read and on this one hundred percent is that James Comer has been obsessed with impeaching Joe Biden since Joe Biden became president.
Speaker 7: That's right, as he was getting sworn in, they were already filing articles of impeachment.
Speaker 3: And he is hunter. Biden's laptop is his.
Speaker 7: Religion, right, which they've never showed us.
Speaker 3: Right, why don't you ever get to see the laptop.
Speaker 7: Because we don't believe the data isn't corrupted. Right, And that's been the thing. There is a laptop, it exists, right, but there's no proof that that laptop didn't pass through fifteen people and they put stuff on the laptop.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: We've asked the sendative forensics experts and what I did? They they've never show this. But Comer dropped finally the impeachment report. Yes, right, we finally have the three hundred page report. And the conclusion is Joe Biden is the most impeachable president of all time, the most evidence ever compiled to impeach your president. And so I say to my dear friend James, who I care about his mental health?
Speaker 3: When when is the vote?
Speaker 6: This is great? This is great news.
Speaker 7: We have it that we have the damning report, we got it, breaking news. When is the vote scheduled? We only have three weeks last before the election?
Speaker 3: Which week is it? Yeah? I want to I want to be.
Speaker 1: Available and Calmer in turn calls you a smurf.
Speaker 7: Well, so I was wearing a blue suit not dissimilar to the one I'm wearing today, and I was getting under his skin. And what is strained is the hamster in the wheel in his brain turning things Like the first thing that popped into his mind of what to call me was a smurf. There there's like so many other ones to go long.
Speaker 1: It's been since the Smurfs have been on television, Like how old is James Comer?
Speaker 7: First of all, as it was happening, I was like, oh yeah, James, talk to me, dirty, keep keep keep going, because I was like, this is a gift.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm a freshman.
Speaker 7: I'm a freshman, you're the chairman you have And then he literally goes stop the clock and I'm like, we're getting more time.
Speaker 3: This is amazing.
Speaker 1: So he is the most impeachable president ever, but they don't want to have a vote.
Speaker 3: Why the evidence is so good. It's so good?
Speaker 1: Was Comer confused by switching to even though he had the entire Republican party had deemed Joe Biden too old when Democrats actually decided that Joe Biden should not have to run for another term, and not even and when Joe Biden decided that Joe Biden should not have to run for another term and his vice president, the heir apparent, the person who was also on the ticket, decided to run.
Speaker 3: Was James Comer surprised.
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, I can't believe that the Republicans have not been able to figure this out over the last thirty days. First of all, one of their key messages was that Joe Biden is half dead and the president is gonna be Kamala. That was literally they were running ads that literally was like this is who's gonna be in charge? And then it happened and they were like shit, they have totally not been able to figure it out. Like I'm looking at Trump's strategy, He's gone from she's not black to I'm better looking than.
Speaker 6: Kamala, which is a weird thing.
Speaker 7: Like an alpha male walking around going you like, see that woman over there, I'm totally better looking than HER's.
Speaker 1: Also like that sometimes he's like she's so beautiful, Like again, what is that different?
Speaker 7: But like, here's the thing. I was just thinking to myself, like what world do we live in? That when Trump was talking about the late great Hannibal elector, he was actually winning? Yeah, like that was that was the platform that was actually winning. Right, Like like I know I'm not his advisor, but maybe get back to that, perhaps, you know, because because that was going well, But no, Comer, listen to what Comber's doing.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: Comber he drops this report on Biden most impeachable President ever. And I really think they did that because now they're turning their attention to Tim Walls. Have you heard the latest? Tim Walls is a secret Chinese agent. Okay, He's a secret Chinese agent, which to me is just unbelievably amazing. It's amazing because I don't know, when you like to look at Tim and his wife and the family, like.
Speaker 3: You don't they just totally reek of president.
Speaker 7: She picking these people to be the to be the undercover Chinese agent.
Speaker 1: I mean came to She's attention in Nebraska when he was growing up, right, I mean it just and and it forgets the fact that one of Comer's entire pieces of evidence against Joe Biden crumbled when we found out he was listening to an indicted spy who was a former Chinese agent. Then I want to also go back to Comber's moment when his witness, his star witness, ended up in jail.
Speaker 7: No, no, he testified from jail. He didn't wind up in jail. He was already there. And Comer was like, Okay, look, we've had one Chinese spy, we've had another one go completely missing. Okay, remember that he's we've lost our informant. Okay, They're like, who who else could we get to really bolster our case? Is anyone in prison available? And you can't make this up. I spoke to the Kentucky delegation this morning. They begged me to come. It was the only state I said yes to other than Florida. Wait why, I wanted to thank them? I said, I know none of you in the room voted for James Comer, but thank you for sending him to Congress. You have done America a deep service. In fact, he should be in charge of five committees.
Speaker 3: Comer, the House, what's it like? Right now.
Speaker 1: So you guys are coming back, not next week, but the week when August is over. We got three weeks right when your vacations, when you're long.
Speaker 3: August and October. Yes, but you guys are going to come back.
Speaker 1: And part of the House, the Freedom Caucus, or as we like to think of them, the Genius Club, have already threatened to shut out.
Speaker 7: It's people that were turned down from MENSA.
Speaker 1: They've already threatened to shut down the government already.
Speaker 7: I think that's actually a real threat. Okay from them, I think I think that's a real threat, and I actually think it's freedom adjacent. I think there'll be some other people of freedom plus whichever. Yeah, I think there'll be some other people that join them. The Speaker is going to have to decide whether he wants to make another deal with Hakim, which is what we've had to do in the past, right to keep the government open. I don't think that it's in Trump's benefit. Are you to close the government.
Speaker 1: On the government a month before the election? Democrats could not ask for.
Speaker 7: That's right, And so I think if Trump gives him the clear to go make the deal, Trump will that can protect him at the end which is what Trump did against Marjorie, against that whole thing. He protected him from Marjorie trying to take him out. I mean, look, I don't know her personally. Committee No, but why I'm on a committee with her, but I don't know her personally because she is the worst member of Congress.
Speaker 3: Did she show up for any of the No, she's there.
Speaker 7: Oh we know when she's there.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, we get our we get a Ouiji board out when she shows up.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 3: But do you think they could shut down the government.
Speaker 7: I think it's a real threat, and it's really about how much wiggle room Johnson has to make the deal with Akim Kam's ready to give the votes. We've shown we're ready to be the adults in the room. We've done it before. We did it not with somebody. We did it with the debt ceiling, and we've done it several times by keeping the government open. And so so long as he knows that Trump has his back, so it's up to Trump, then then that that deal will happen.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine a Republican party where they're giving this much power to their candidate.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's where it's at. And can you imagine a scenario which we were going towards. We're not there now. I don't think there's any scenario. And what I'm about to say is where we would wind up. But a month ago, it was possible where Trump would win, he would have both houses. That scenario was very alive. It's not alive anymore. He could still win, We should be very serious about that. It's halftime at the moment. He could still win. But him winning and having both houses I don't think is plausible. It was a month ago, and that's where Trump would have been in charge of both the Senate and the House. There would have been no autonomy at all, and.
Speaker 1: They probably would have shut down the government, though they did do that once before to great effect.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 5: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Are you concerned about Project twenty twenty five and how awful Trump's second term could be? Well, so are we, which is why we teamed up with iHeart to make a limited series with the experts on what a disaster Project twenty twenty five would be for America's future. Right now, we have just released the final episode of this five episode series. They're all available by looking up Molly John Fast Project twenty twenty five on YouTube, and if you are more of a podcast person and not say a YouTuber, you can hit play and put your phone in the lock screen and it will play back just like a broadcast. All five episodes are online now.
Speaker 6: We need to educate.
Speaker 1: Americans on what Trump's second term would or could do to this country, So please watch it and spread the word.
Speaker 2: Jared Poulis is the governor of Colorado.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Fast Politics, Governor.
Speaker 9: Polus excited to be here in Chicago.
Speaker 1: It's funny because you're the governor of Colorado. I always think of you as like someone who's doing cool, weird, counterintuitive stuff in your state.
Speaker 3: Tell us about some of that stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, I mean Colorado.
Speaker 9: Those are good adjectives to describe us, you know, weird, counterintuitive, for innovative. I'd say, you know, there's a lot going on in that area. One of those our voters shows to legalize magic mushrooms some sill in. So we are working on setting up kind of how we're going to make sure that you know, the spas that do this are safe and they'll be safer, you know. Right now, people go to like you know, Mexico, Columbia, they do this stuff and I know people who've done that, and there's a lot of promise around helping to end opioid dependency and example, break the cycle depression. So Colorado will be kind of deplace in the United States where it's safe and and we make sure that people are trained. So that's one of those things I think in that vein that we're working on implementing.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny, I'm sober since I was nineteen, and I wonder how much you guys, because you're a state that's sort of known for legalized marijuana and a lot of recreational sports, what you guys do on this sort of sobriety side.
Speaker 3: To compliment that, did you say recreational sports?
Speaker 9: Yeah, sports, we're very like reach of the lowest obesity rate in the country.
Speaker 5: Drug sport, well, not together, I think.
Speaker 9: But you know, it's about respecting freedom and people's ability to choose how they live their own lives. I mean, I have you know, some people, and I like you, I don't drink or do that, but like some people want to enjoy beers with a you know, Monday night football sunder that football game. And others want to smoke joints on the weekend, and some people want to hang off of rocks.
Speaker 5: I don't do that either.
Speaker 9: I mean, they climb up on these rocks and they hang and sleep in a little hammock.
Speaker 5: If they roll the wrong way, they die. But it's up to them.
Speaker 9: I mean, we just have freedom in Colorado and we celebrate that different strokes for different folks.
Speaker 3: You think that's a winning message for Democrats.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I mean I like the way Tim Wallas puts it. You know, mind your own damn business, right, Like, this isn't the government's decision to make everybody gets to live their own lives, be true to themselves, pursue their own you know, success in their own terms, and that can mean whatever it means in Colorado. The free State of Colorado is a place where you can, you can, you know, be who you are and celebrate.
Speaker 1: That you came to Colorado. It was sort of a purple state. You were involved in flipping it blue. How do you guys do that?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 9: Look, I mean Colorado is the plurality of our voters. The biggest group is unaffiliated, and that'll actually be a majority very soon, it's like forty eight percent, it'll probably be fifty percent neither Democrat nor Republican very very soon. So, I mean, it's what I like to say is it's kind of on loan. It's not that either side kind of has that. If the Republicans put up attractive candidates that are pro freedom, of course they could win.
Speaker 5: But they haven't been.
Speaker 9: They've been putting up candidates that are very you know, anti freedom, big government, restrictive control of people do and Democrats have really stayed on the message of making sure we empower people to live their own lives.
Speaker 1: There are these Western states that Democrats have lost. I'm thinking, like Wyoming, Montana. Perhaps we will see what happens in that ten race. Do you think your secret sauce is transferable to those states?
Speaker 3: And what should Democrats be doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I think I think that pro freedom message and obviously choice is part of that productive health. Obviously people should be free to make their own reproductive health decisions. Some of the most intimac decisions we make about when and if to have children. That's entirely your business, not the government's business. That resonates well in the West, in the whole country. But I think that's a winning message for the Nevadas and Arizonas of the world, which are going to be front and center the selection cycle, as well as for the Montanas of the world.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a world where I mean, like Wyoming is such a small population, I mean, are there worlds in which a state like that could flip to Democrats are using That's unlikely.
Speaker 9: I think what we're seeing in Colorado with soon to be a majority independent, this is happening nationally. I mean, both parties are losing membership, especially among young people under thirty. It's already a strong majority that are unaffiliated Independent, And yeah, in a state like Wyoming, again, with the right candidate, you can make that case and say, hey, look, people are shopping around for who's going to be best for their future, who's going to protect their freedom. They're not wedded to the Republicans or Democrats or not pulling the lever who are or the candidates are? They really want to know who the folks are that are that are coming forward and what their ideas are.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a lot of anxiety at this convention for good reason. We all remember twenty sixteen. There's a lot of exuberance and joy because we all remember two thousand and eight. But you know, there's an Obama level sense here. But I wonder, do you think there's a world like do you ever sort of pause and think like there's a world where she just walks away.
Speaker 3: With it and it's a landslide?
Speaker 5: I hope?
Speaker 6: So, right, I hope.
Speaker 3: So this is going to be a grind.
Speaker 9: I mean, this is coming down to a few votes in the seventh states. If something breaks our way and somehow we win those states, Handling and Nashley, that's great. Everybody's got to work like this will be decided by just a handful of.
Speaker 5: Votes in these key swing states.
Speaker 9: So we're gonna leave nothing on the you know, nothing on the field. Put it all out there. I mean, these are delegates, These are the hardcore folks.
Speaker 5: These are the folks.
Speaker 9: Going door to door, They're making calls, they're rallying the volunteers. They are volunteers, and you know, it's going to be a fight over the next few weeks to get.
Speaker 5: The vote up.
Speaker 1: Last night, President Obama talked about how it was possible that Republicans, if the election were close, would cheat or try to overturn the election, or try to throw out votes, or any number of the things Trump actually tried in twenty twenty. It seemed normal at the time for him to say that, but it is profound for someone who is such an institutionalist and such a serious person to say this. It really means that it's a real, true threat in the way that a lot of us have thought, how worried are you about that? And also how insane is that that that's a real worry In twenty twenty.
Speaker 9: Four, well, and you even have Donald Trump attacking the city and governor of Georgia of his own party, where I guess presumably the grievances include the governor's reluctance to try to manipulate the election to favor Donald Trump. I have confidence the election integrity of the country, certainly Colorado speak for the first ten knowledge, but other states as well. The count will be the count, the voice that people will be heard, The electors will reflect the will of the voters in this states, and whoever wins will be the next president of the United States. I would just add, by the way that I joined many people of saying we shouldn't really have this electoral college. It's just a it's a potential problem that is not solving for anything. We should just have direct vote of the people. I mean this just you know, adds in we have, you know, disloyal electors, you have you know, all these things that can happen.
Speaker 5: Not to mention competing slates.
Speaker 9: It's there's no it's an archaic element of our system. That's if it had any usefulness back in the day. It's time is passed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But something you saw here that was interesting.
Speaker 9: Everything's exciting. I mean, my gosh, how great to see Barack and Michelle Obama. Wow right, I mean the energy here in the grassroots and you know your listeners by want to know what is somebody like me, what is a principal of governor center?
Speaker 5: What are they doing?
Speaker 9: We're at like thirty thirty five things every day, so you just are popping around. I mean, speaking of this environmental group, I spoke to the Nevada delegation this morning, you know, on the Colorado delegation. So it's just you know, this constant stream of because it's not just the delegates who are here. A lot of the kind of infrastructure and policy groups and advocates and grassroots organizations.
Speaker 3: Are all here, right, unions, state.
Speaker 9: Unions, I mean, they're all here, environmental groups, and it's really exciting to be able to interact with all of them and to help make sure that everybody is kind of going the same way and helping you. Elet Kamala Harris, thank you, Governor, thank you. Good to see you in person.
Speaker 2: Chris Murphy is the junior Senator from Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Senator Chris Murphy here with me. You negotiated this incredible immigration bill. Yes, and when you did it, it was during Christmas. It was like a labor of love for the administration. Talk to me about what it was and how it worked and what.
Speaker 3: It sort of set up as a larger frame.
Speaker 10: Well, remember that negotiation started in the fall of last year because Republicans said they wouldn't vote for Ukraine funding unless we added some provisions to secure the border. But as we got into the negotiation and the numbers at the border started to get higher and hired. By the end of twenty twenty three, you're talking about eight thousand people every day showing up at the border. It became clear we had to do this anyway, regardless of whether it was attached to Ukraine Aid. And so we stayed at that table through Thanksgiving, through Christmas, through the beginning of the year. You jam James Langford, Kirsten Cinema, right, like.
Speaker 3: Could not get three senators who are more.
Speaker 10: Different were more different, right, And Langford, you know, was not going to commit to anything unless he thought that he had his caucus. So he had to go back to his caucus over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: Langford is an old school Republican. May not agree with his policies, but is earnest and really does want to.
Speaker 10: Legislate, really wants to legislate. But frankly, you know, had never ever delivered on something this big. Langford had been in a lot of rooms, but it never actually delivered a big piece of legislation like this. Cinema and I had just the year before on guns, but Langford had not. And so I certainly had doubts throughout the process that you know, Langford maybe was in the room because Republicans knew that he wouldn't get to yes. And I mean, at some level he surprised me by closing the deal in the spring, convincing you know, what we thought were around fifteen or twenty Republicans to go with him, agreeing to you know, a handful of pretty important democratic priorities. So we didn't get a path with a decisionship in that bill. But you know, we got immediate work permits for immigrants at the border, we got paid for legal representation for kids. We got the biggest increase in family reunification visas in a generation. So we got good democratic priorities in there. He said, yes, he thought he had fifteen to twenty Republicans with him on Sunday afternoon. We released the bill Sunday about seven eight o'clock, and then all hell broke loose. Trump saw, Yes, Trump saw it, and he looked at it, and he said, actually, that bill will bring enough order to the border between now and the election that I'll lose it as a talking point. And at about I don't know, nine o'clock that night, Stephen Miller organized the crazy nativist right wing to take the bill down online. At about ten o'clock that night, Cinema goes to.
Speaker 5: Bed like really early. She's a super early riser.
Speaker 10: So I knew that I was kind of sending this text into nothing, but I texted cinema at about ten o'clock's that Sunday night after we released the bill, I said, they're going to kill this bill before we get up in the morning, like they're going to kill it tonight, And that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 5: By Monday morning, it was pretty.
Speaker 1: Clear that that negotiation was so important, even though a didn'ka passed right ultimately.
Speaker 10: And listen, that's not what I was trying to do, right, I was trying to pass a bill. But once they killed it and were so transparent about why they killed it, you know, you had McConnell, Lankford, Romney, Dan Crenshawn the House. You know, multiple high level Republicans going on the record and saying Donald Trump killed this bill for political reasons. It's a good bill. It became a political imperative that we tell that very simple story because the Republicans were telling it themselves. It was a good bill, it would have fixed many of the problems of the border. Republicans killed it because Donald Trump wants chaos. That's a ten second winning message. I didn't do this bill for a message, but what we got is our first opportunity in a very long time to prove to people what we have always said. We've said, the Republicans just want to talk about the border, they don't want to actually solve the problem.
Speaker 5: And now we have the proof.
Speaker 1: What I thought was very interesting, and McConnell even sort.
Speaker 10: Of McConnell negotiated as well. McConnell wasn't ever directly in the room, but his staff were in the room.
Speaker 3: That without Mitch McConnell on board.
Speaker 10: Yes, but the center Republican Caucus is different today than it was just two years ago. McConnell does not have the kind of control that he did even in twenty twenty two. When we negotiated the gun bill in twenty twenty two, McConnell wasn't in the room, but if McConnell was for it, and he ended up being for it, we knew he could deliver enough Republicans. That's not the Republican conference in twenty twenty four. McConnell cannot deliver the kind of votes that he could just a few years ago.
Speaker 3: With the map.
Speaker 1: This is this very bad Senate map for Democrats, like of sort of you know those cycle works that there are certain years that it just sucks, and this is a lot of red states up. What do you I mean, what are you optimistic about? What are you pessimistic about? When you look at the Senate map and sort of what do you think the landscape is?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 10: I mean, here's I guess what I think about. Why do we accept the map as being so bad? This is the second consecutive year that the map is bad. And the map is bad because we have effectively chosen as a party to be non competitive in states that just a heartbeat a go we were competitive in, right, We were electing Democratic senators in Nebraska, in Missouri, in Iowa, and now those are states that we consider ourselves to have no shot name. We've got to fix that as a party, like we can't be perfect on the Senate map every year. And that's a really hard conversation for our party to have, but it's really really necessary.
Speaker 3: But that's the end.
Speaker 1: Amanda Littman run for something theory, which is you have to run in every state, no matter if you And that's why in some ways the Tennessee three are so important, right because she's running for Senate in a state that's hard, that's.
Speaker 10: True, But we ran a lot of good candidates that lost in those states. It's not just that we're lacking the infrastructure, it's that we are refusing to actually go and talk to Trump voters.
Speaker 5: We were refusing to build a coalition.
Speaker 10: That is big tent because and I understand this, because we don't want Yeah, we want purity on choice, we want purity on guns, we want purity on climate.
Speaker 5: And if we were you know, a bit of the old.
Speaker 10: Kind of democratic party where the tent pole in the middle was economic populism, right, and we permitted people who might disagree with us on social and cultural issues to be inside the tent. I think we have a lot more states in play. I think we'd probably end up passing a lot more legislation. That's the challenge ahead of us. That's the big challenge. That's not something we saw between now and the end of the year. But we can't continue to be perfect in the way that we have the last couple of cycles in the Senate map.
Speaker 1: If you look at the polling and you look at the down ballot polls, like the guye egos and those guys are all really doing well, it seems like a lot of the Republican Senate pix were trumpy again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're they're trumpy. They aren't from the.
Speaker 3: States, right, like Eric hoof Day.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And I mean, you know the guy in Montana, the guy Nevada. These are all the guy in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: I mean, Frankly, Dave McCormick.
Speaker 5: Dave McCormick is my constituent. Day McCormick is my constituent.
Speaker 10: So yeah, I mean, actually, it feels like they are incapable of finding anyone to run for Senate that is from the state that they're running in. And like, that's not a five point swing, but it's a one or two point swing, and that's what a lot of these races are going to come down to.
Speaker 3: So interesting.
Speaker 1: One other thing when you think about this election, like, what do you think will be the thing that gots Vice President Harris over the finish line?
Speaker 5: Well, we're just going to expand the electorate.
Speaker 10: We didn't have that opportunity before, and we now have the chance to bring a ton of people who have never voted or haven't voted in a long time.
Speaker 5: To the polls.
Speaker 10: Whether it's because they're just loving the vibe of a positive, right, joyous party or because the choice issue is just much more potent and real when you have a woman at the top of the ticket. Trump also may just be losing it a little bit, and we may see his rap just get so tired that that surge turnout he used to bring with him just isn't there.
Speaker 3: That's my theory of the case. A little bit too so interesting.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you. Good to see you.
Speaker 3: Good to see you.
Speaker 2: Jocelyn Benson is the Secretary of State Michigan.
Speaker 3: Why I'm back, Jocelyn Benson.
Speaker 6: I'm just fangirling right now.
Speaker 3: This is insane.
Speaker 1: You're like a serious secretary of state, and I'm like, we have a fake microphone. So you're here for ask politics with us. We're doing our quick DNC interviews. State is like a large job with a lot of parts to it, but voting is a big part of it.
Speaker 11: And the chief Democracy officer for the State of Michigan, I consider it my prime responsibility to make sure everyone knows how to access their ballots, their voice, their vote, and.
Speaker 6: Can trust the results of the election. So whatever they may be right.
Speaker 1: So Republicans are basically a war with voting right now.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 6: Feels like that.
Speaker 12: I think it's a war with the truth, really, right, and a war with the rule of law and a rule of the basic promise in America that we the people rule to day, that we have control over in autonomy, over our bodies and access to reproductive health, that we have control over our voices and can exercise.
Speaker 6: Them as we can see fits. So it's a multifront war.
Speaker 1: So one of the issues right now in Georgia is there's some anxiety that there may be parts of Georgia that won't certify, or that there's some kind of optional certification process.
Speaker 3: How worried are you about that in Georgia?
Speaker 1: And then also can you extrapolate and talk about Michigan.
Speaker 11: I have a lot of faith in the professional election workers in Georgia as well as the Secretary of State to follow the law and.
Speaker 6: Do the job right.
Speaker 11: It's important, particularly in places where people have been fed lies about our elections that have damaged their confidence in the process, to be able to ask questions about the process and have them answered. However, we have to make fact based, evidence based decisions as we move forward, and those usually lead to certification. And so if we veer away from that, which is what twenty twenty was about. Twenty twenty was about baseless challenges to election results, no facts, no evidence. So we have to always delineate between those two things, but make sure that if there is no evidence of wrongdoing, we should be certifying the election, and that is the ministerial duty of election certification boards.
Speaker 3: What is voting in Michigan like because every state is different.
Speaker 11: Well, according to the Brennan Center, which released a report last week about the differences in battleground states election policies between twenty twenty and twenty twenty four, Michigan is the only one of the six battleground states that has dramatically expanded access to the vote, in part because voters demanded that we now have nine days of early voting in Michigan. In other states like Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, you saw our restriction on the right to vote, and so we're proud of what that represents. We're proud that we listen to the will of the people. And my hope is that other states will recognize that it's good for business to have a healthy democracy, and they should listen to voters who seek to amplify their voices and have access because it makes us all better.
Speaker 1: Right now, Michigan is such an interesting state because you have this tri factor of women leaders. You've done a lot of amazing stuff. You have parts of Michigan that are super liberal. You have the Michigan militia. I mean, talk to me about what the state looks like on the ground, what you're seeing. I mean, you're probably in every part of the state.
Speaker 6: I am as the Secretary of State.
Speaker 11: I'm also the Chief Motor Vehicle Officer, which makes you very popular. But we have actually reformed the DMV to make it easy, user friendly, and efficient and in my view, best in the country. That said, I have one hundred and thirty offices all across the state, so I get a really close to the ground view of what it's like in our northernmost most rural areas as well as in our most urban and how to meet the needs of every citizen and every voter. What I've seen in this role is how important it is to ensure everyone has educated and engaged and informed. And there's a lot that stands in the way of that in these noisy times, not the least of which are candidates who continue to tell lies and show up in Michigan and few more lies about crime rates and all the rest that just aren't based in fact. So the job of citizens in Michigan, it's really the job of all of us right now, is to become staunch ambassadors for democracy, for truth, for the law, and for making sure that no one can come into our state and lie to us about our rights and about our freedoms.
Speaker 3: Are you seeing yard signs?
Speaker 6: Yes, all over.
Speaker 11: I've seen Harris, I've seen Trump, I've seen that's probably.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we haven't seen too many.
Speaker 11: Are okay, But but I mean, look, it's hard to say in different parts of the state.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, Michigan's a purple state.
Speaker 11: We've got people on both sides of the aisle, people on both sides of the spectrum. And so we want everyone to know that their elections are going to be certified, that the integrity of our elections will be secure. But at the same time, it's important for everyone to know that in Michigan and Georgia and Arizona, in many parts of the nation, there is a divide. And that's why in this moment, we need candidates and leaders who will bring us together over that divide, more than to continue to divide us further.
Speaker 1: And are there any young candidates where you're seeing interesting staff or activists or what are.
Speaker 3: You seeing on the ground in Michigan that we should know about.
Speaker 11: I think young voters are incredibly engaged. What I've also frankly seen as a lot of business leaders in local chambers of commerce really investing in our future and in making sure they are also a part of defending in democracy In this moment, it's been really inspiring to see business leaders recognize that healthy democracy means a healthy economy, and they've been particularly notably more engaged than ever before at using and levering their positions to ensure citizens are engaged with accurate information about our elections.
Speaker 3: That's kind of amazing, it.
Speaker 11: Is, Yeah, and I think we'll continue to see young people stay engaged.
Speaker 6: I think that's another big focus.
Speaker 11: There are one point eight million eligible voters in Michigan who are eighteen to twenty nine, and only eight hundred thousand voted in twenty twenty, so that's a full million eligible. Most are registered voters who would like to see become engaged. Many of them are not in college, many of them are working or in apprenticeship programs. So we've been reaching out to unions and others that have those programs and employers to make sure we're engaging every young person in deciding our future together.
Speaker 3: That's so important and amazing.
Speaker 11: The women in Michigan get it done. But it's important to note that what high voter turnout means is a more representative democracy. You have more voices at the table, you have more leaders that are more likely to represent the diversity of our state and our country. And that's really the Michigan story over these last few years. Yes, women are leading our state and we're doing a great job right now, but we also have and we also have so many more leaders of color and leaders of different community. These Jewish communities, Arab communities, Latino communities, African American communities all have a seat at the table because of our pro democracy policies.
Speaker 1: Ken Harris wins some of these undeclared voters.
Speaker 11: I think every time you can make clear the democracy and our reproductive freedoms and a number of other freedoms are on the ballot in a very real way this year, then we have an opportunity to frame the choice in a way that I think everyone should get behind, even you know, the Republican voters in parts of the state who also want to see a country where women have freedom and our right.
Speaker 6: To vote is protected.
Speaker 11: So if we can stay focused on the issues and the truth and what's at stake, I think you'll see a broad coalition in support of those policies.
Speaker 3: So good, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: Honored to be here, An, I'll come back anytime. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Congresswoman Susan del Bennet represents Washington's first congressional district and shares the DCC.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Fast Politics.
Speaker 3: Congresswoman Susan del Banner.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Thanks, great to be here at convention.
Speaker 3: Now this is your super Bowl, right, it is.
Speaker 8: The super Bowl, and it kind of feels like that. I mean, yeah, it's hard to excitement, except we're the one the one difference. We are absolutely all on the same team.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. There's only one team here. So you lead the Democratic Congressional Committee which meet which is tasked with flipping the House of Representatives, which seems very possible in this environment. So talk to me about what this landscape looks like and what you are focused on. I want to also add that, like you guys have seemed so laser focused and so organized and so, you know, just really on it.
Speaker 3: So tell me what you're focused on.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, well, I am laser focused on making sure we take back the majority in the House, that we make Kakim Jeffries the next Speaker of the House. And you know, we have incredible opportunities. I always remind folks that the House is very different. We have a lot of races across the country, and we're everywhere. You know, the Senate may be focused on a few key races. We have races in New York and California and Iowa and Alabama and Nebraska, Oregon all over the place. Because we have you know, there's four hundred and thirty five races going on.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the Biden district races, the races where the Democrats lost the congressional seat but Biden won. Yes, and so there are like about five of those in New York and five of them in California.
Speaker 8: We have them across the country, but the majority area, Yes, the big ones are in states in California and New York.
Speaker 3: Let me rephrase it, the states are really fucked up.
Speaker 1: We're New York and California because those are blue states where that should not happen.
Speaker 8: Yes, we have a lot of races in California and New York, and you know we're doing really well.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about some of those New York races. Okay, John Avlon, John Avlon and Ericon. Now that is not even a Biden district. That's an R plus three or something. Is he on your Red to Blue list?
Speaker 6: He is not.
Speaker 8: He's on our We have districts that we are still watching. District we call them districts in play in New York. Three obviously was the first one, Tom Swasey. And then the other Langa Island is Laura Gillan running in New York for that's on our Red to Blue.
Speaker 3: And who's she running against?
Speaker 8: Ds Posito? And that's absolutely one that we can pick up. And you'll remember d s Posito.
Speaker 1: These Republicans will pretend to be Centrists, but they've all voted to impeach Biden.
Speaker 3: They've all voted, they.
Speaker 8: All voted for Mike Johnson to be the most extreme speaker ever in the House representative.
Speaker 3: They are all to impeach.
Speaker 8: Yes, there are no moderates left on the Republican side. If you look in the House, across the board. Over and over we have seen Republicans leave their party. You've seen Republicans here at convention talking about they don't know what's happened to their party. Yeah, the reality is that the extremists have taken over. They're incapable of governing. It's chaos and dysfunction. And so that's why the incredible candidates. You look at New York, whether it's Laura Glyn, Monde Jones.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Mondere Jones. He's on the red to blow.
Speaker 8: He is.
Speaker 3: Talk to me about mondere Seed.
Speaker 8: You know monder Seed. This is also, you know, a really important seat and a tough seat. It's a swing district. But Mondere is doing an incredible job. It's a district that absolutely is one that we can win. Mondarra is doing a great job and really making sure that he's holding Lawler who's running against accountable for being an extreme Republican. He tries to paint himself as a moderate, but let's be clear, there's nothing moderate. As we were just saying, these are all folks who have continued to support the kind of Republican agenda, and you've seen it here the project kind of twenty twenty five agenda. That's the stark difference in this campaign and why seats like these in New York are so credible.
Speaker 3: Is there a Buffalo's seat? Did I make that up?
Speaker 8: Tim Kennedy? Just one that was an open seat, that was a blue seat. Tim Kennedy's a new member of Congress when Brian Higgins stepped down.
Speaker 3: Now, talk to me about those California seats.
Speaker 8: We can start in southern California. We have a bunch of opportunities. Will Rollins running against Ken Calverty.
Speaker 1: Will Rollins is a frequent guest of this podcast because my father lives in Palmspreads and we love Will Rowland's and that is a very flippable.
Speaker 8: Seat, absolutely one. Will ran last time came just within a handful of votes of winning that seat. He came out the door right away the beginning of the cycle, doing an incredible job, has a ton of support. Is kind of like the perfect candidate you can find, incredible experience, incredible connections to his community. He is doing amazing and incredible opportunity to pick up a seat there. We've got Derek Tran running against Michelle Steele. Also in southern California. Derek's a great candidate running for him the first time. Dave Minn is running to make sure that we keep Katie Porter's seat. Wow, so that's an open seat.
Speaker 3: It is a tough seat.
Speaker 8: Also, that's a up. Dave Man is doing a great job. We have George Whitesides running against Mike Garcia, also doing an incredible job. We have Mike Levin, he's one of our frontliners, so we're going to get re elected. Also southern California, we have Riddy Sallas and Adam Gray running in the Central Valley up north.
Speaker 1: And this central Valley, I think for people who don't totally know was where the uh what's his name who used to be the Speaker of the House was from. Yes, yeah, the last fashion of Republican is Kevin McCarthy.
Speaker 3: That is that sort of last fashion.
Speaker 1: But it is largely agricultural, and when you are worried about agriculture, climate change is a big deal.
Speaker 8: Well, and you know, without Kevin McCarthy, they're trying to kind of help raise resources for the Republicans in this area. They've also been struggling a lot more too, but again more extreme than their district's great candidates. I mean, the thing that differentiates our world versus their world is we have independent mind and results oriented members of Congress and candidates who want to go to Congress to get things done.
Speaker 1: Will you talk to us about the sort of macro of the Republican Congressional Committee versus Because Republicans have been in power in Congress and they like lost a speaker, then they couldn't find a speaker.
Speaker 3: Than they had.
Speaker 8: They threatened to shut down the government to default on our dead then they kicked out their speaker and struggled to pick up another one. They don't even agree with each other, right.
Speaker 3: What does their apparatus look like?
Speaker 8: Well, they're struggling. We've been running ahead this whole cycle. We just announced our numbers for last month. A d triple c outraised the NRCC, our Republican counterparts.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 8: We raised seventeen point six million dollars last month, six million more than the NRCC. We've got about twenty million dollars more in the bank as we head into these important last couple months of the election, and our candidates are out raising their Republican opponents also. So as a committee, we're doing well. To support our candidates across the country. Our candidates are doing well, our incumbents are doing well because really this election is about our rights, our freedoms, our democracy, and our future. And people know what's at stake, and the American people are with us. They want governance that works.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, let me ask you, do you think your candidates are running heead because their candidates are so good, because their candidates are so bad, or because the issues, or because of the sort of the vibes.
Speaker 8: It's everything. Their candidates are extreme. We have districts like in Pennsylvania ten, where we've got Scott Perry, one of the most extreme members of an extreme body. We have Danelle Stilson do an incredible job. That's a seat that we can flip, and it's a more conservative seat, but they're not extreme. So they have candidates and members of Congress who are extreme. We also have folks who've seen what Republicans have been doing. They are trying to take away reproduct freedom. The majority of Americans across the country support reproductive freedom. They are trying to gut social Security and medicare, give tech freaks to the wealthy and well connected. That also, the majority of America does not agree with that. They want to see governance work. They want to see us grow and strengthen the middle class. And that's not a democratic statement. That's a statement of what the American people want to see. And that's what our candidates and our comments are talking about what we can actually do to deliver what we've done, but also what more we can do when we have the majority in the House.
Speaker 1: One more question, Yes, Walls was the chair of the governatorial the data goes. So that's a job that's kind of the equivalent of the job you have. Yes, yes, So tell us why you get that job. Soon to be Speaker Jeffrees. Leader Jeffries asked me to do that job. He asked me to do.
Speaker 3: He asked you to do it because you're a team player.
Speaker 8: And because you know my focus is I'm a data person. I am laser focused on make sure we put the right strategy to win. And you know I came to Congress to get things done for my constituents too. It's hard for us to do that when we have a Republican majority that doesn't want to do anything. So one of the most important things we can do is make sure we win, we have a strong government majority, and then we get back to work, make sure the People's House is back to work for the American people.
Speaker 3: Amazing. Thank you, hey, thank you.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to hear the best minds in politics.
Speaker 3: Makes sense of all this chaos.
Speaker 1: If you enjoyed what you've heard, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. And again, thanks for listening.