Speaker 1: The Season with Peter Schreeger is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. What's Up, Everybody? This is the Season with Peter Schrager. I'm Peter Schreger, joined here by my trusted producer, Aaron wang Kaufman. We are now less than ten days away from the NFL Draft, and I have not slept over the last twenty four hours because I had been working on it for weeks. But I take a lot of pride and I put out my first mock draft. And that sounds so trivial in the grand scheme of things, and you're just dropping into this podcast, like, who is this person who thinks that it's such a dramatic thing that he's putting out his first mock draft? The first of two. Let me explain the reason I take so much pride in it is that, year after year after year, I have a great humility. Usually I do not have great humility when it comes to this. I have the most accurate mock draft on the Internet. And that's because I don't do the mock draft in terms of who I would take or what I think a team should do. I do it with what I'm hearing from around the league, from GMS, from coaches, and in many cases from those teams specifically, if you watch Good Morning Football, listen to this podcast, you know I've got relationships around the league. I oftentimes will utilize those relationships and getting the best NFL news available, not necessarily transactional. This guy signed for this much money and breaking news here but more. Okay, Jalen Hurt signs a deal. Here's how it got done. Here's why I got done. Let me speak to my sources in Philadelphia and on the players side and try to come to that conclusion and get the best information possible. When it comes to the draft though, and I says, well, you're getting smoke screens, you're getting this. No one's telling me who they're taking up top. What I'm doing is I'm talking to all the teams I possibly can, and I'm trying to infer the most informed that I can out of that. I'm trying to make it work. I'm trying to get to a point where I feel comfortable when people around the league can look at it and say, ooh, that's interesting. He must have spoken to somebody. Let me get on the phone and let me see what he's got, or let me explain why this might not make sense. So my first mock draft came out and I worked on it over Saturday, Sunday, Monday, came out on Tuesday morning. Here's how it goes, and I'm going to go through it quickly and I'm going to have some comments throughout number one. The Carolina Panthers are taking Bryce Young number two. I have a trade and this is so unlikely, and yet I connected a couple dots here where if ever there was going to be an intradivisional trade, this would be the one. I have. The Houston Texans trading back with the Indianapolis Colts, their hated rival and a team in the division, and the Colts moving up to number two and doing so by trading one of their star players, DeForest Buckner, to the Houston Texans. They just restructured Buckner's contract. Buckner also played for Miko Ryans when they were in San Francisco. Again, so rare to have an intradivisional trade. But if the Colts were to offer the fourth overall pick into Forest Buckner for the second overall pick, could the Texans say no? And if you're listening at home, and you're saying, why would the Texans just take CJ. Straud, Just take CJ. Stroud at two, be done with it. They might. In fact, I would say, even though I don't have a happening in this mock draft, there's a pretty good chance they do take a quarterback at two, despite all the words right now that they might be trading out or they might just be taking the best defensive player available. I will make this point there are personalities and humans involved when it comes to the draft, and oftentimes a team won't have a certain player on their board because of this guy had this off the field in fraction, or this guy doesn't fit in our scheme anything. There's no chance that Houston Texans don't have c J. Stroud high on their board. They absolutely do have c J. Stroud high on their board. They might take him second overall. I will note that CJ. Stroud's agent is the same agent as the Watson. Houston and Sean Watson ended in not such great ways, and it was a disgusting fallout of a guy holding out and he made all his money, and yet he demanded a trade and they let it. If Houston doesn't draft a quarterback second overall, and they move back and draft another quarterback, and if it's not c J. Stroud, I'm not saying it's because of that. I would just say there are personalities involved, and I no one said to me they will not take him, or look at the agent. No, that's me. That's me coming there and just saying, I wonder if that plays a role in the selection of a franchise quarterback, if they go down that road with the same agent that represented their last franchise quarterback where it went terribly awry at the end. So I've got the Colts taking c J. Stroud at too. I have the Cardinals staying put, taking Will Anderson. I have the Texans then taking not a quarterback but Tyree Wilson out of Texas Tech. I'll get to their quarterback situation in just a bit. Five is the Seahawks, fascinating team, loaded everywhere. Just signed Geno Smith to a contract that's three years and truly he's the guy for next year for sure, one year, twenty seven million. Next year. I have the Seahawks, with Jalen Carter still on the board, taking Anthony Richardson the quarterback out of Florida. Gino Smith's thirty two. He had a great year. He's getting handsomely paid for it. It's a great story. I mean truly, it's the comeback player of the year story you'd hope.
Speaker 2: Four.
Speaker 1: After eight straight years of not being a starter and four straight years of signing one year contracts, he finally gets the deal with the Seahawks. He's going to be their quarterback next year. Anthony Richardson is the future, and I don't think the Seahawks plan on being in the top five anytime soon. I don't think the Seahawks plan on ever being in this rebuild mode where they got all this for the Russell Wilson trade anytime soon. Top five pick a quarterback's there with a quarterback who can not only teach him the ways, but doesn't make him feel forced he has to start year one. I like Anthony Richardson to the Seahawks at five. I went Jalen Carter. We'll get to Jalen Carter a bit. I think Jalen Carter is the best player in this draft. I think there's a lot of baggage. I think there's a lot of question marks. I don't think Jalen Carters for everybody. If he's sitting there at six and the Lions have Hutchinson on one side and they can get Carter on the inside, that's a lot to deal with if you're an opposing team. And if the draft was last I'll say February, or if the draft was in January, Jalen Carter's the first overall pick, if not the second. If you want to say, that team's going quarterback in Bryce Young. So I got the Lions taking him there. Raiders seven, Peter Scarnsky at a Northwestern eight Falcons, Nolan Smith, Georgia pass rusher nine Bears, Christian Gonzales, a defensive back out of Oregon. Ten. Eagles have not selected a running back in the first round since nineteen eighty seven, when they took Keith Byers. Google Keith Buyers, awesome player at Ohio State. I have him going running back Bishan Robinson, and then I get really interesting here. Eleven and twelve to Tennessee Titans. A ton of talent still on the board in this draft. They have needs everywhere. They have a terrible wide receiver's room right now. The offensive line is a mess, and there's not been a single offensive lineman outside of Scoronski or a wide receiver taken he in the draft eleven. What do they do. I've got the Tennessee Titans taking a quarterback, taking Hendon Hooker at a Tennessee Hendon Hooker before Will Levis. Look, it might not go this way. I just am hearing a lot of heat on Hooker in the last few weeks. Hooker would be a local product. He played at Tennessee. He'd be going to the Tennessee Titans. Tannehill is there, so as he recovers from an ACL, Tannehill would be the starter, at least for a year, maybe a year more. Who knows Hooker comes in coming off the ACL. And then will Levis is sitting there at twelve, And if the Texans still have a twelfth pick, I've got them taking will Levis at twelve. Now, will Levis is a fascinating story. At one point I thought he could have been the first overall pick. Now I'm having a hard time finding a team if he slips past Indianapolis. I kind of put him at twelve to Houston. Would Houston pass on a quarterback twice by saying they wouldn't take one at second. They wouldn't take one at fourth and then take one at twelve and feel good about it. I don't know. It's a mock draft Will Levis. I needed a place for him. I feel like the Houston Texans desperately need a quarterback. I think it makes some sense Will Levis, the Texans at twelve, Jets, Broderick Jones, Patriots, Devin Witherspoon, the cornerback at Illinois, some of him going in the top five, top six. I got him going fourteen and going second on the cornerback to Christian Gonzales fifteen, Green Bay. How fun would this be? Jackson Smith Nijibba. I think I'm saying that right, Nijigba Nijigba. Ohio State obviously teams love him. He's a talent, and the Packers. Would that not be the ultimate salt in the wound to Rodgers. They never drafted a wide receiver or a tight end in the first round while Rodgers was there. Never not once they traded up and got Jordan Love, but they did not take a wide receiver. If they were to take a wide receiver at fifteenth. Overall, I think it's a smart because they need help in the wide receiver's room, and B it would be quite a dig and quite assaultan the wound to Rodgers. Sixteen Washington, Dalton Kincaid, tight end out of Utah, love his game. Seventeen Paris Johnson sitting there. I've got the Steelers taking him at seventeen eighteen Joey Porter Junior to the Lions. Would the Steelers pass on Joey Porter Junior? Everyone say, absolutely not. Joey Porter's a legend now hard a situation that would be for Joey Porter Junior going to Pittsburgh and playing for Mike Tomlin just as his father did. I don't know. I feel like after their needs on offensive line, I would go Paris Johnson there if he was still on the board. So eighteen would be Joey Porter Junior. That means the Lions would get Jalen Carter and Joey Porter Junior. That would be awesome for them. Again. A mock draft ten days out nineteen Tampa, Deontay Banks out of Maryland twenty the Seahawks. They already got Anthony Richardson. In this draft, they get Lucas van Ness out of Iowa. Twenty one Chargers. They take Michael Mayer, talented tight end at a Notre Dame Ravens Darnell Wright offensive tack Tennessee Vikings at twenty three. A lot to talk about them possibly moving up for a quarterback. I have them stay input getting Jordan Addison the wide receiver at a USC This dude with Justin Jefferson together would be quite a duo. They lost Adam Thielen. Jaguars go Brian Branch, defensive back out of Jacksonville. Twenty five the Giants. Everyone all lies on the Giants. They took a small, undersized wide receiver who didn't do much last year in Wondale Robinson. I have them going for a small, undersized wide receiver in the first round this year. Yeah, this guy has accomplished way more in his college career, going Zay Flowers out of Boston College. Giants fans already crushing me online saying there's no way they would do that. They would not go back to wide receiver. Guess what they might. Twenty six Cowboys Jamiir Gibbs running back at Alabama. Zeke's gone. They fill them in with Gibbs. Gibbs talented player compared to Alvin Kamara. Finish out this draft Bills and Aaron, I know you're a Bills fan. Defensive end Miles Murphy at a Clemson Bengals tight end Darnell Washington. I know they got Irv Smith, but they might not be done in that position. And I go wide receiver Jonathan Mingo to the Saints. I don't have anyone else anywhere online having Mingo as a first round pick. I'm hearing too much buzz about him. I'm just throwing him in there at twenty nine. We'll see what the league says. If I get a bunch of text texting me saying he's a third round prospects that around prospect, get him out of there. He won't be in my final mock draft thirty. Will McDonald the fourth at of Iowa State. Talented dude, great story. Matt Campbell is the head coach of Iowa State. He is dear friends with Nick Sirianni. They go back a long way. I could see him talking up McDonald. Them getting what they do is building on the inside out. That would mean they'd get Bjon Robinson and Will McDonald. Pretty good first day for the Eagles. And last the Chiefs at thirty one, Quinton Johnson towering wide receiver at a TCU. Now some notes as you listen, and I just spit all that at you. It's going to change from now till a few days from now. So this is obviously not gospel. I can't tell you which things come from which teams, but trust me, this doesn't come throwing things at the wall. Also, last year they were thirteen day one trades thirteen so all this can be ripped up and thrown away once the draft starts. But Aaron, that is my mock draft. I take it very seriously. I take a lot of pride in it, something that I always say, it's almost like a PSA announcement that I do on Good Morning Football. I don't know how to scout. I don't know how to watch film. I just don't have it in me. I try. I've sat down in those rooms and been like, all right here in the three four scheme, watch the off the ball linebacker. I can't. It doesn't have I love the stories, I love the action, I love the drama of the field, but I love the intrigue of the business of football, and the draft is the business of football. So a lot of mock drafts are written and done by guys who will tell you what they think a team should do. Or here's why Jordan Addison should go before JSN whatever his nickname is from from Ohio State, Jackson Smith, Nijigba, Nijigba. I gotta get that right. It's gonna be a star in the league. I gotta know it. I take a lot of pride and saying I don't know any of that. It's not what I think the team should do. It's what I think they might do, and hopefully there's a place for that in the mock draft ecosystem. I don't make fun of mock drafters. I don't make fun of the idea of mock draft. I think it's low hanging through people. Do they think it's stupid. I've never not clicked on a mock draft. I love it. I find it interesting, and I'll tell you what the teams do too. My mock draft is currently up at NFL dot com. If you're listening to this during the week, you'll find it out one of those side panels. You can also find it on my Twitter timeline. It will change, it will change, but for now. We have fun, We throw things out there, and we try to get you the most information as possible. My guest is someone I've been wanting to have on before the draft because I think this side of Daniel Jeremiah might be the smartest draft voice that we've got out there. As far as the players go. He scouts them all all year long, and then his job is to recruit them and get them to participate in his Senior Bowl All Star game. His name is Jim Naggy. He's got a long history in the league, and he left a very good job and see working for the Seahawks front office to be the guy who runs the Senior Bowl. If you don't know what the Senior Bowl is, it's a senior all star game of the best college football talent in the country. And not only does he have to get these players to agree to come, he's got to get them to agree to come and participate over the course of the week and go through rigorous examination, and at the end of it, a lot of them help their draft stocks. Jim Naggy is his name. He is our guest, and we're going to get to him right now. I'm so excited about our guests. I think it's the perfect guest as we are heading towards the draft next week and all the mock drafts are coming out, and this is smoke screens season, and everyone's acting as if they're an expert on these players, both on the field and off. There may be no greater closer person to some of these young men than our guests. It is the executive director of the Senior Bowl and a guy whose opinion I really value and whose work ethic I absolutely respect. Jim Naggy. Welcome to the season with Peter Schrager.
Speaker 3: Peter, great to be on man. Thanks for having me all right.
Speaker 1: So, for viewers and listeners who might not be familiar with your background NFL scout front office guy for years. I know you as Seattle, but New England as well. Take us through your path a little bit in the NFL and how you got to where you are right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had a one year brief stint with the former team known as the Washington Redskins. Was my first job in the league. John Schneider, who's the GM in Seattle, hired me. There was there one year. John and Marty Schottenheimer got shown the door after an eight and eight season when Marty probably should have won Coach of the Year that year, considering what our roster looked like. You go eight and eight, Tony Banks is our starting quarterback. We won a couple of games with Kent Graham. I mean, it's a pretty good year. So then I ended up in New England for a good run. After that, started scouting on the West coast and then moved to the Midwest. From there, I went to Kansas City with Scott Pioli, our general manager when he got the job in Kansas City. Scott does great work for the NFL network now. And then I went to Seattle for five years before taking this job. And this was really the senior bal thing was really a family decision. Mobiles my wife's hometown. We've been here since two thousand and seven.
Speaker 3: To raise our kids.
Speaker 4: So when this job came open, it was too good to not jump at. I called John Schneider. I said, John, I gotta I gotta go for this, don't I And He's like, you're dang right, you do. So here we are five years later, just finished up our fifth Senior Ble and the.
Speaker 1: Senior ball has grown and grown under your stewardship. What is your role as executive director in getting to know these young men and getting them those invites to the premier college All Star game.
Speaker 4: You know, Peter, I'll say this has been a great game forever many My predecessor Phil Savage, the former Browns GM did an awesome job here.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The biggest goal was to was to really market the game a little better, and that's through social media. We've really used social media as as an incredible tool.
Speaker 3: Helped us recruiting too.
Speaker 4: I mean that was really the biggest thing is to is connect with these players and recruit these players.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's that's my biggest role in terms of these players is just scouting upright, created real football operation.
Speaker 3: Got tape in the office.
Speaker 4: We never had tape here in the office, so the league office made us jump through some hoops to do that. But thankfully that first year they allowed us to get access to the tape, and you know, we track them all the way through.
Speaker 3: We're already jumping on twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: I started on the running backs yesterday, watch five or six running backs, and then we take it all the way through the year, you know, and differing levels. You know, if I go out and do a hand invite like I do with some of the smaller school guys, I get to know them a little earlier in the process. And then you know, goal of mine is just to get to know them while they're down here in Mobile for the week.
Speaker 3: And again it's always varying levels.
Speaker 4: Of you know, my communication with these guys, but that's my goal every week by the time they leave, I want to have some good one on one interaction with all of them so.
Speaker 1: You get to know them in the recruitment process of getting to play in the game. And then once they get to the game, it's a week in Mobile, Alabama, they're playing for a team, but you're in all those meetings. You're getting to know these guys, you know them inside and out by the time that week is over in January.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, try to you know, try it.
Speaker 4: That's the fun part is popping in some of these bizz meeting rooms at night. And obviously that the team interviews are very private and I would never try to overstep my bounds there. But I do get a lot of good feedback from from buddies around the league and who did a good job in interviews and you know how different guys presented, and then obviously just the on field takeaways. You're down here, you know, the NFL network comes down here in mass They send everybody and just the takeaways from being on the field and watching who's taking coaching and who's competing, and you know, little things like body language, facial expressions when they're in these really highly competitive situations. Man, I mean that's you see some of the head coaches. I mean I feel like every single post that I put out, I did one this morning and there's Mike Tomlin in the background, Mike to Mike t gets in all this stuff. So just some great takeaways. Yeah, try to learn these guys the best we can.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's an information thing for a lot of us going into the combine too. So it's our first dip of the toes the college All Star Games, but this is really the premiere one and these are the guys that are going to the NFL. So for me, I look at the Senior Bowl and I analyze every player in there, and I get to get all the information I do from the teams that were coaching those guys get out of that. And I remember last year, and I don't have any problem saying this. I had lunch with Robert Sala before the draft and we were talking about, would you know the Jets do this, would Jets do that? And he said, you know, we don't need a quarterback. But we were down in the Senior Bowl and it's the fourth quarter and it's you know, it's whatever, and you could say what, it doesn't matter. And Desmond Ridder pulls over the entire team on the sideline and he looks and says, I got you, guys, I'm going to lead us here. And he's like, I love what that kid's made out of. The littlest thing like that that travels, that goes a long way. And that's something that the Jets coaching staff, which didn't take Desmond Ridder, would never have known had they not had Desmond Ridder at the Senior Bowl. And of course now Desmont Ridder is a starting quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: You know, I think, Peter, what these teams are really trying to drill down on right now on it if you talk to all thirty two man who loves football and who are the really truly competitive guys, So like you know, I think the common thought out there is that Senior Bowl practice week matters a ton in the game, maybe not so much. And that's because most of the you know, most of the key decision makers get on a plane on Friday after Thursday night interviews and they get out of dodge. But it's not like it's not like the game tape isn't being watched right, Like it's there's no there's no game that gets watched more in draft meetings than the Senior Bowl game tape. And we wore it out every team I ever worked for. But yeah, it is the little takeaways. Man, It's the little things that you can kind of grab onto. Because I say this all the time, you know, it really is this whole quote unquote pre draft process. It's a short period of time. I mean you're talking January to April. You got about four months to really figure these guys out and who you want to give, you know, millions and millions of dollars to so you do. Sometimes you grab on a little stuff like that and it goes a long way. And I think when you get a Desmond Ritter that's in that in that situation, yeah, it might not seem like the biggest deal to the outside world, but he's a competitor, like he's in there, and to me, those those are the little takeaways that that really it seems like a little thing, but it's really a kind of a window into a much bigger thing.
Speaker 1: I don't have it in front of me, and I apologize. I don't have the list of the guys who were there, but I have memories, and you know, I've been watching clips saying, who are the six quarterbacks who were at the Senior Bowl this year?
Speaker 4: This year it was Max dug In from TCU, j Kaner from Fresno State, Clayton Tune from Houston, Jaren Hall from BYU, Malik Cunningham from Louisville, and Tyson Bagent from Shepherd. So, yeah, this was a year, a different year. You know, we've had I think seven straight in Hendon Hooker.
Speaker 3: Hennon was down.
Speaker 4: He was obviously injured and he couldn't really participate on the field, but went through all the interview stuff and was in the in the classroom with the teams.
Speaker 3: And again, we we've.
Speaker 4: Never invited an injured player in my five years, but I felt like Kennon was kind of a one off special case. But yeah, we have like a seven year run of first round quarterbacks. Maybe Hendon extends that streak. Maybe that streaks and Jeopardy, But it was a cool quarterback group because they were all kind of graded similarly like most teams when we do our call process in February before we put the roster together. That's part of our process too, is really bouncing you know, Sharon grades with the teams and really bouncing stuff off. That's where the relationships come in. I mean, most of the teams had all these guys in that you know, early day three area and and that you know, Senior Bowl week was kind of where we start sorting those guys out and really you know, and then combine and obviously Pro Day and the workouts and the interviews all matter. But down here watching those guys throw back to back to back kind of help those guys in that you know, a third, fourth, fifth round area.
Speaker 1: Hendon Hooker was there. He's getting a little bit of buzz right now, Late buzz. I had my mock draft come out today and I've got him going before Will Levis, which has rocked the Internet and people are freaking out. I'm hearing really positive things about not only his meetings, about his early recovery, and about the leadership skills that he brings to a team. Can you talk to us about Hendon Hooker a little bit, even if he'd get to play in the senior ball, the fact he was there and was able to show his face, he did interact with teammates and also coaching staffs. I think that says a lot.
Speaker 3: Like I said, that was that was a one off.
Speaker 4: That's that's not a president we want to set, you know, because again I think there will be some some people that take advantage of that. Oh well, I'd love to go, Jim, but I've got an ankle, like just use use the game for the interview process, and we're not going to go down that road. But to me, Hendon deserved it. You know, he was one of the faces of college football this year. Got to see him play a couple of times this fall. I mean, just a really good player. And again, because the quarterback position, the meeting time, in the interview is like all that stuff being so important, I kind of felt like we owed that to Hendon, you know, and he's done a great job and I'll take it here. Just kind of something time relevant with the Jalen Hurts signing yesterday, right, I mean, Jalen.
Speaker 3: Hurts came down here. Everybody had him in the fourth or fifth round.
Speaker 4: We had him in the fourth round coming in a Senior Bowl week leading up to that draft. Like to me, the comp for me was Dak Prescott and now we've seen Jalen. I think Howie Roseman got questioned big time when he made the draft pick, you know, fifty three overall. Everyone thought that was way too high for Jalen. But if you I mean, I think the lesson, at least for me, Like the takeaway from Jalen was don't ever put a ceiling on these guys that are like high end competitors, high end workers, high end leaders.
Speaker 3: And say what you want about Hendon's tape.
Speaker 4: We can all watch his tape and pick apart scheme and things of that nature. But he's the same as Jalen in those three areas. Now they're a little bit a little bit different personalities. Jalen's like super intense. I know you've probably spent time around him, like he's a really intense guy. Hendon's a little more laid back than that. But in terms of the worker the competitor, like, that's why that's why you're seeing that rise. I know you're talking to guys around the league. That's why teams are feeling good about him because of all that stuff that you can't coach.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: You can't by the time they're by the time they're in their twenties. Like the work ethic, the competitor like, that stuff's instilled. You can work on the on the field stuff, but you can't work on that stuff. So to me, that's why Hendon's making kind of this what you'd call maybe a late rise.
Speaker 1: All Right, the exercise we're gonna do, no one knows these guys better than you. I'm sure you're biased towards the senior Bowl players. I'm gonna maybe go with some underclassmen. We're gonna do an exercise can also gonna be a draft of sorts. We're gonna ping pong back and forth. And this is called My Favorite five players with Jim Naggy and what it is. I'm gonna name my favorite player, You're gonna name your next favorite player, and it doesn't have to be in any order. Just guys that we love, you fall in love with people through the draft process, and my first one is boring as hell. It is someone that you're gonna say, Shrieker, that's not Bryce Young is my favorite player in this draft. I absolutely loved getting to know this guy. I love that he's different. I like the fact that he's undersized and has worked that way his entire career and has had great success in the SEC. And from all the things I'm hearing about in these meetings with teams, he has been just awesome, a leader, competent, loves football, and I think the size thing is cool, Like it's not my team, I'm not drafted him first. Overall, I love guys who break the mold. And you know, the comparisons are funny because I asked. I asked a GM. I'm like, all right, give me a comparison because Kyler's the first one or Drew Brees the first one, but give me a comparison of the way he plays the game. And the comparison I got was Steph Curry, and I thought that was so cool. So then I was like, all right, that's really cool. And then I asked another GM, all right, who would you compare Bryce Young two? And he goes, I compare him to Trey Young on the Hawks, and I'm like, that's the second an NBA point guard that has been compared to. Like the NFL is changing, He's not built like other NFL quarterbacks, and yet I still think he might be the first overall pick. He's my favorite player in this draft. Your thoughts on Bryce Young do you have any Did you get to know him at all? And when you see him on tape as a former scout, what do you see?
Speaker 4: I almost went with Bryce as well Peter at the top because I didn't want to be accused of being a senior ble homer. But yeah, I have had the chance to meet Bryce without it. Actually met him a couple of years ago at a camp out in Santa Monica for the first time, and man, that the takeaway there. And I found this over over the years with with leaders and quarterbacks, like he's really comfortable in his own skin.
Speaker 3: Like you said, he's he's a little bit different.
Speaker 4: I mean I remember the first conversation we started talking about cooking, Like the dude loves to cook, Like he's kind of got.
Speaker 3: Some renaissance man to him.
Speaker 4: You know, he's not, but he's comfortable in his own skin.
Speaker 3: He's really he's the genuine article. He is who he is.
Speaker 4: You know, I think teammates are going to follow him because again the work ethic part, and he talks about Mac Jones and Max's influence on it and seeing Mac work his freshman year.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm with.
Speaker 1: You, man.
Speaker 4: He's a really fun guy to study on those point guard things make sense because he is a really he's a distributor, and in his defense, like he wasn't distributing to the same people that maybe mac Intua were. You know, there was a drop off in in skill talent at Alabama over the last couple of years, and they were young. I mean I think they were talented, they were just young guys. He was throwing to a bunch of young guys that maybe weren't up to speed. So yeah, I think he's, Uh, he's going to be a cool pick. I think he is going to go to Carolina. I'd be at this point, I'd be surprised if he if he wasn't, But yeah, he's he's he's a really good player, really cool kid. Kind of breaks the mold in a lot of different ways. But you spend time around and really easy guy.
Speaker 1: To like, all right, give us your number two, a guy that you love.
Speaker 4: So I'll I guess we'll start alphabetically with the double a's at a time at a bare from from north coast to it. So I've been practicing that for like five or six months now. He was on Bruce Feldman's Freaks List. I'm sure you see Bruce's uh, you know article that comes out every year. We we've collaborated with brucell a little bit over the last couple of years on that list.
Speaker 3: Tried to add a few names for him. But he always brings.
Speaker 4: Guys like at a time of wood to the table that I didn't.
Speaker 3: Know a lot about. He's really rare. He's a unique player.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can't throw around like scouts are very touchy when it comes to descriptors and adjectives and things of that nature.
Speaker 3: But like rare is rare.
Speaker 4: And when you get a two hundred and eighty two pound man running four four nine and he's got thirty four inch arms, so he's got explosion, he's got length, he's got all these things you want to look for. But then on tape you see him playing kind of a stand up edge position at Northwestern, which that's I don't think that's what most teams see him, ask No, I think they see him as a three technique.
Speaker 3: So that's where we played him during Senior Bowl week.
Speaker 4: And again in a really small exposure against a bunch of first, second, and third round offensive linemen. During that week, he was voted the defensive Lineman of the week by the guys he played against. That offensive line voted him the defensive lineman of the week at a position he'd never really played before, which tells you like, wow, what's this guy going to be in like two or three years. So again, really talented guy. Best football is way ahead of him, and he's starting to creep into those you know, first round mocks a little bit, but he wasn't anywhere near there, you know, a couple months ago. So it's cool to see him rise. And again I just I just think the tools you're you're gonna hit on it. I mean, he works too hard, he's got too much, too much talent in his body not to become a good player.
Speaker 1: Cool wrinkle there. I believe he's a Kansas City native, grew up being a diehard Chiefs fan, and his whole thing at the combine. When I spoke to his agent was it would mean the world to be drafted in the first round in Kansas City. Right now, I have him right outside the first round, but who cares what I have. A team might take him and I would love to see that for him. My next guy, I'm gonna go again with a kind of chalk pick here, a player that everyone is starting to fall in love with and has been watching for years. But I'm going with Nolan Smith at a Georgia a pass rusher. One of those deals where is he a product of the system and there being a thousand NFL players or is he a freak show that we overlooked during the college season as one of these premier guys because of the blowouts and because of what they were doing. This guy ran a four to three nine forty as a defensive end. He is an amazing young man. Great interview, and I go back to the high school stuff, which I always try to value and say, Okay, well what happened from here to number one high school recruit in the country when he decided to go to Georgia, had a wonderful career, was sec Newcomer of the Year the whole thing, and then you get into a defense with Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean and Jalen Carter and Trayvon Walker and Kwai Walker, and the list goes on and on and on, and your name kind of gets buried. I think he's worked his way up to being a top ten pick based on the combine performance and what he's done over the course of his career.
Speaker 3: That's a good one, Peter, I love it.
Speaker 4: He was our top rated senior defensive player coming into the fall based off as junior tape.
Speaker 3: He was at the top of the board last year. Really talented guy, man.
Speaker 4: I'll say this like, I'm not saying he's more talented than Jalen Carter, but when we had a bunch of Georgia defensive players in last year's Senior Bowl, so you know that whole defense was loaded. Obviously, watch a ton of tape on that unit. I saw him play live a couple of times, and Jalen Carter definitely flashed, but Nolan or Nolan Smith flashed more to me than Jail really yeah, and so we you know, then when we got into the actual you know dig you know, deep dive email over the summer. Man, You're like, okay, this this guy's super talented. So then I think he was gonna run four threes.
Speaker 3: At the combine. I didn't know about that. That's Jim.
Speaker 1: He threw his phone. He was like pissed. He ran four three nine. He wanted faster.
Speaker 3: That's insane. That's insane.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Man as an outside linebacker, kind of a do it all outside linebacker.
Speaker 3: He's a really cool player.
Speaker 4: And again you talk about talk about the person. I got to meet him at the SEC media days back in August or July or whatever that was. And again just to really put together guy, really really sharp.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know how you miss on Nolan Smith. I really don't.
Speaker 1: All Right, who's your next guy?
Speaker 3: Next guy is Cody Mauck from North Kota State. Love him, Love this guy. I'm on record. I've probably spoken too much about Cody over.
Speaker 4: The last few months, but uh, you know, to me, he's the only five position offensive lineman in this year's draft. Played left tackle at North Kota State.
Speaker 3: Made it look easy.
Speaker 4: I mean, his tape was as when you talk about what tape's fun to watch, I think Cody Maux's tape was as fun as any player in this draft.
Speaker 3: You know, just him just wearing.
Speaker 4: People out at that level comes down here to Tomobile. Plays guard, plays center. A lot of teams thought he might be able to play that, and now they've seen him do it, so it's not you know, scouts always talk about quote unquote blind projections. They want to see him do it first. Now we've seen Cody play all five spots. I think he played left tackle, center, and right guard in the Senior Bowl game, so you can move around within a game. He's got the brain to handle that. And I think what gets lost and like the flowing red locks and the no front teeth and all that.
Speaker 3: This dude's an unbelievable athlete. He really is.
Speaker 4: Like he's nasty on tape and he wears people out. But this dude is such a good athlete. So to me, I don't think there's thirty one better players in the draft. I know we only have thirty one picks in the first round, but I mean if I had a first round pick, if I was a GM, I mean, this guy would be an easy because wherever you have your kneed up front, you're gonna be able to plug him in and to me, he's going to be a pro Bowl level player.
Speaker 1: I love Cody Maunk flowing red hair and no front teeth, and you bury that that's the fifteenth thing you said. I love that he's an incredible personality. We'd love to get to know him during the senior ball practices. My next one again Chalk. You might say, come on, Sregger, you're just going with the biggest names, but I love a blue chip player. I'm going with b Jean Robinson. I've telling you I've been watching this guy for years. Obviously, you could spot talent at the college level. There's a lot of great running backs, but I feel like he's a cut above. I feel like he's the best running back to enter a draft since maybe Jonathan Taylor, and I think he might be the best running back as a rookie since Saquon Like this guy. I watch him. It seems like he's floating on air everything I touch him. The time he touches the ball, he goes he can catch the ball. I know running back is not a cool thing in the first round anymore. I have him going in the top ten. I think the Eagles take him, even though the Eagles never take running I just think there are very few blue chip players in this draft. And I'm not knocking the draft that you don't watch the draft because of the amount of blue chip players. You watch the draft because you want to see who your team gets. This guy is a blue chip player, and if this draft was ten years ago, he might go first overall. If this draft was twenty years ago, he might go first overall. In this year's draft, he might go twentieth because the running back position is so undervalued. I love watching him play. The comparisons I make art to Saquon, but people have more historical ones. Have you had a chance to watch Bijon at all? And what is you in your take on his game?
Speaker 3: I agree with everything you just said.
Speaker 4: You know the hard part in this role now is you know when you're a scout, when you're working in the league. I wasn't on social media, you know, I wasn't on the internet. Like you make your own evail and then once you feel good about your eveil, then you can maybe open it up and see what else is out there, what other people are thinking about players.
Speaker 3: But in this role, obviously I live on.
Speaker 4: Social media to a degree, so you see all this stuff about Bijeon, right, and you hear about it, you see, and then when I actually sat down to watch him, is like, wow, this guy is This guy's the truth. I mean, I'm with you there. There might not be you know, one or two better players in this entire draft. He makes it look easy, Peter. I mean, he just he makes it look easy. You know, at the highest level of college football, the run stuff looks easy. He just runs with an ease, He catches it with an ease. I think he's going to be a big time, big time player. And I'm with you, like ten ten could be a cool landing spot because Eagles GM Howie Roseman's on record he's saying like he likes a zig when other people are zagging, right, And if the league's going away from running back right now, you know, in coach Belichick, who I worked for for for all those years in New England, like they're always looking for market, you know, efficiencies, and and if teams are passing on running backs and they don't see value there early, but then maybe it's going to be one of these gms that that that.
Speaker 3: Is going to do something the opposite.
Speaker 4: So yeah, man, such a such an easy player to to like and fun, fun player, fun player.
Speaker 1: Give me your third name. Who's your third guy you want us to look out for?
Speaker 4: Little two for one, I'll go with the Brown brothers from Illinois. I was gonna go with Sidney Brown, but throwing his twin brother Chase as well.
Speaker 3: To me, Sidney's a guy that, frankly, like I was too low on.
Speaker 4: There's always a few guys that show up in Mobile that are are better players, and I give them credit for off the tape.
Speaker 3: I'll say this.
Speaker 4: As soon as those two guys get off the bus. They get off the bus from the airport, there's like a little registration room where we start, I mean player registration days.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 4: They got medical stuff, they got psychological testing, they've got photo shoots, they've got all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Those two guys get off the bus, and.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you, Peter, like within a minute You're like, Okay, these guys are different, like the Brown brothers are different. Sydney's a little more outgoing, got got you know, like a little more charisma than Chase. Chase is a little more a little more laid back. But but there they are special dudes. They've they've got a great story. You can google it. I'm not going to wear out your listeners, but google the story about the Brown brothers and in their background.
Speaker 3: Really cool. But Sidney's like this.
Speaker 4: Rocked up Bob Sanders looking strong safety, right, and so you want to say, you just want to say box safety because of how he's built. He's just like this chiseled up specimen. And then you more you watch, you're like, man, he's there. He just made a playing coverage and then it made another playing coverage. So he ends a season with seven interceptions, and he's got some like Johnny on the Spot tip ball stuff and.
Speaker 3: He's making plays.
Speaker 4: He comes down here to the Senior Bowl and it's kind of like Jalen Petrie last year from Baylor, who had a great rookieyear for the Houston Texans in the one on one stuff with tight ends and receivers, like Sidney was blanketing people and making plays on the ball, like he if he's around the ball, he's going to finish on it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Like we talk about players that can't find the ball or they can't play the ball, like Sidney's the opposite. He's unbelievable. When he was when he's in the reach of the ball, so I just think Sidney's a guy that and then all the testing, like the Combine stuff was ridiculous. Forty inch vertical, eleven foot broad all that high end testing stuff.
Speaker 3: So to me, he's a no brainer.
Speaker 4: I think he's worked himself up into somewhere in probably the second round range, which probably was he started off the process, probably in the fourth and he's just one of my favorite dudes. I would want him in my locker room. He's going to be infectious, He's going to be a captain. Just loves Sidney Brown and and love his brother Chase too.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. My fourth name, I'm going with Will McDonald, the fourth out of Iowa State. I love this kid. I love his story, and I like the fact that he competed at the Combine despite a one hundred and four fever that he came down with and said, hell, I'm going for it. I'm trying to ultimate competitor. Matt Campbell speaks the world of him. I've got him going in the first round. I don't see many other monks having him there. They have him as a second round pick. He might be a second round pick. I love what he did at Iowa State. I think that he is an athletic freak. I also like the way he's made up and kind of the way he had And I know he was a senior Bowl guy. What'd you think of him when you got to meet him.
Speaker 3: Well, you saved me, Peter, you saved me a spot. I was gonna say, Will McDonald's go with.
Speaker 1: Him, to go with him as your fourth it's not.
Speaker 4: It's not, but I was hoping maybe you would throw him in there.
Speaker 3: I'll say this about Will.
Speaker 4: I think you're right. I think he's going to be a first round pick. Talking to guys in the league, there's way too much to like. I mean, he's got production on paper. He's got thirty some sacks over the last three years, and he wasn't really put in a position to get sacks in that defense. You know, like he was really always tied tight to the tackle. You never saw him. You never got to see him like really out wide and just like coming off the edge. He's probably the bendiest pass rusher in this year's draft. He's long, he's put on a bunch of weight through the process. He's already put on you know, ten to fifteen pounds since the Senior Bowl, So he's trending in the.
Speaker 3: Right direction that way.
Speaker 4: Like you talked about the athletes six to nine high jumper in high school, I think the team, the teams talking to him, they love the competitor, they love the fact that he had a fever and a lot of people would have shut themselves down and not done the combine thing, and he did it. I think he's helped himself as much as anyone through this process. He's talking to a head coach the other day. He thinks he's going to come out of the shoots next year and be a double digit sack guy. And if there's a love for him in the league like that, if coaches think this guy could be a double digit.
Speaker 3: Sack guy, we didn't have one last year.
Speaker 4: Aiden Hutchinson, I think had the league with rookies and he was like eight or nine. If there's teams out there that feel like this guy could get ten secks as a rookie, he's going to go in the top thirty one pick.
Speaker 3: So I think you're going to be right on that.
Speaker 1: Peter keive us another name.
Speaker 3: I would go with.
Speaker 4: Michael Wilson from Stanford a little later down the road. It's not a first second round guy like we've been talking about. But Michael Wilson's a guy again probably showed up a lot better than I would have thought. You know, going through the Stanford tape, you know, you really polished, You really like the route runner, you really like the hands. You love how they talk about him, David Sewan, those guys at Stanford like rave about about Michael Wilson. And when you said put your favorite group together, I've thought about, Okay, if I was putting a team together, who would I want in my locker room.
Speaker 3: Michael Wilson's different.
Speaker 4: He reminds me a little of Terry mclaur in that way, like when when Terry, when Terry came down to the Senior Bowl, I told every team that called that year, like they said, Jim, who would you want? And Terry was always my first guy because of first and foremost the person that Terry was like, and I was on I was on records, and I think Terry could be the CEO of a Fortune five hundred company when he's done playing football. Like that's how that's how intelligent and driven the guy is. And Michael Wilson's different too. I mean for the wide receiver position. He just gets it.
Speaker 3: When you talk to him, you feel like.
Speaker 4: You're talking to like a thirty year old grown up and then coming down here like bring it back. On the field, he's he's more explosive than I gave him credit for, or plays faster than he tested. You watch our tape and he's getting deep on guys he only ran four or five or high four fours, whatever it was. Well, he consistently got to deep levels of the field against guys that ran four to three at and he so he plays fast, he plays explosively, explosive.
Speaker 3: In a draft where there's.
Speaker 4: A bunch of five eight, five nine, one hundred and seventy pound guys, this guy's six foot two, two hundred and fifteen pounds. So yeah, I just don't think you can go wrong. He had some injury stuff at Stanford. You know, if he stays healthy, I think this guy's a really good starter in the league.
Speaker 1: Love it all right, We're gonna leave our last picks, and these are the guys that we love and that we can't wait to see get drafted. My last one is a wide receiver. Was at the Senior Bowl comes from a factory of wide receivers of late who all the similar build and yet, for whatever reason, Jim, I feel like you and I are the only ones on the island who have been pushing this guy as a first round pick. I'm going with Jonathan Mingo. Love Mingo. Love that he's six foot two, two twenty, Love that he's built like a different wide receiver shape than most of the guys that you're seeing in these first round bocks. I look at the history. I know he was injured, I know he's got issues as far as production at the college level. But I look at aj Brown, I look at Elijah Moore, I look at DK Metcalf, and I look at Ole Miss and I say, here's a six to two, two twenty chiseled wide receiver who has good route running from what I see, and actually has good hands, and yet he's considered some crazy project because he didn't have one hundred catches a game. I'm going with Jonathan Mingo. I know you know the guy really well. What are you hearing on, Mingo? And do you think there's a chance he goes in the first round? As I have it, the Saints taking him at the end of the first round.
Speaker 4: That would be a cool pick down here on the Gulf Coast. This is the Mobile is a big Saints fan base. I know they would be fired up about an SEC guy there. I'm with Jan Mingo, I'm with you on him. I'll say this, I'll throw another name, Ole Miss name out, Dawson Knox.
Speaker 3: Dawson Knox.
Speaker 4: I mean, go back and look at Dawson Knox's college production at ole Miss. So you know, John started out that year hot, and by the time I saw him in mid season against LSU, they were throwing the ball to Malik Heath on the other side because you know, I had done enough early in the season where he was starting to pull coverage his way. So they started feeding Malik Keith on the other side, which is which is smart my whole miss. But but I'm with you. There's a good track record there. This guy is a springy, springy athlete for someone with that size that's six ' to two. Again, we're talking about a guy that's like five six inches and forty to fifty pounds heavier than some of these guys being mocked, you.
Speaker 1: Know, all the other first round guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, so I'm with you on Mingo. I think he's going to be. You know, we always do the better pro than college player thing. I think he's gonna end up, like a lot of these guys from Ole Missill, end up being a you know, at least production wise, the better pro than he was college player.
Speaker 1: Who's your last player that you got before we let you go? Give us the last player one of your favorite players in this draft? Who is it?
Speaker 4: Jim Naggy, Well, it probably goes back to my Seahawks background a little bit, and that'd be Julius Brentz, the corner from Kansas State. Again like at a time, and well, we're talking about rare stuff.
Speaker 3: This guy's got rare stuff. He's got the.
Speaker 4: Longest wingspan of any corner since Scout started doing the wingspan thing.
Speaker 3: That was only like fifteen years ago.
Speaker 4: Year we didn't always do the wingspanl He's the longest corner on record. He's an eleven six broad jumper, he's a forty two inch vertical jumper. And the difference between him and most sixty three corners, I mean, this guy's got fluid movement skills. And again, Richard Sherman came out. I was way too low on Richard Sherman. I got caught up in some of his movement. I didn't give him enough credit for his high level instincts and ball skills. This guy can move now, man, he is fluid. He had a great week down here. I just think you know the upside of the player, Hardy. How do you throw around a guy that's six foot three with pterodactyl arms, that can that can jump out of the gym.
Speaker 3: I mean, just put the ball around him. He's gonna he's gonna find a way to go get it.
Speaker 1: How many pounds is hey, what's the way at He's.
Speaker 4: Two hundred pounds, So we're talking a six three trend corner. He reminds me of a guy named Ben Saint ju Just who starts for the Washington Commanders right now. Ben went the third round out of Minnesota a few years ago when we had him here, and I think Julie is coming out, you know, probably probably going to be a higher draft pick than than Ben. They're just similar body to guy. So yeah, man, I again my sea hockey thing at corner. Give me some Julius prints.
Speaker 1: I love it. Jim a couple quick rapid fire questions for you before we let you go. Your favorite player to ever enter the Senior Bowl and play Senier Bowl Week, as you were the executive director of the past five years, who's the guy that you look back on, You're like, gosh, I was so happy to have that guy down in Mobile.
Speaker 4: I would say Justin Herbert, And I would say that for a couple of reasons, Like Justin was already going to be at worst a mid first round pick, right Like he wasn't going to get out of the middle of the first round. He still chose to come down here, put himself out there in the greatest part about it with the narrative on Justin was oh, he's introverted. You know what kind of leadership, you know what kind of competitor is this guy? And I think he put all that to rest down here in Mobile. I mean he connected with his teammates again, similar to Bryce Young, who he talked about. I mean, Justin's comfortable in his own skin, he's genuine teammates, all that from him, and I just think, you know, having him down here and him buying into what he could get out of Senior Bowl Week.
Speaker 3: Man, I'll always be indebted to him, and he's.
Speaker 4: He's one of the guys like he followed up after the game and called me and thanked me for letting him.
Speaker 1: Go down, and he was the MVP of that day. I remember I was like, what.
Speaker 4: Are you talking about, Like, you don't need to thank me, man, I need to thank you for coming and being a part of this thing.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget interviewing him, but right before the draft in twenty twenty, it was the COVID year and he had won Rose Bowl MVP, Senior Bowl MVP, and the narrative was he can't lead, he can't win a big game. He can't you know, he's got no alpha skills. He's just a robot that could throw. And I remember asking him about it and he says, I'm going to cut you off right there, respectfully. And you know it's him with the long hair and he's got the look. And he says, just before even going with that, can you just do me a favor and ask some of my teammates before we even mentioned that kind of commentary. And I'm like, wow, that's a good answer. I like that. So he's one of those quiet, confident guys and their leaders lead in different ways. And Justin Herbert's not gonna be the loudest guy. He's not gonna be great on NFL films, Mike up. But I think you saw what we all saw the last few years back when you had him at the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 4: And I've said this before, but like you watch after the game, there's a shot. There was a shot on the NFL network post game when all the players are coming out and shaking hands and doing stuff. Man, it was both teams big small. I mean it didn't Matt like, everyone kind of was gravitating up to Justin. And for that to materialize over the course of like literally seven days that some of those you know, that respect, even if it was just the respect level, says a lot. But no, man, it's and it's been awesome to watch him his career kind of take off. I can't wait to see what he's going to do this year with Kellen Moore in La.
Speaker 1: Jim, your words carry so much waiting around the league. You're one of the most respected guys when it comes to not only the NFL Draft, but just personnel and scouting in general. No one's got a bad word to say about you, and you're doing a fine job with the Senior Bowl. I can't I can't thank you enough for joining the podcast. It was the perfect guest and this is the perfect conversation before the draft about ten days out as we're recording.
Speaker 3: This, well, Peter, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: That's really nice. It's awesome to be on the show. Man.
Speaker 4: I'd love to love to come on again. Maybe we can do it after the draft or something. But love you're working Good Morning Football man, love the show. You guys do an awesome job, so entertaining, such such a great thing to wake up to every day.
Speaker 3: We got it in the office.
Speaker 4: Whoever comes into the Senior Bowl office every day, whoever gets in first has to turn the TV on and it's always on. It's always on Good Morning Football. So when we walk in here every day, are you guys are on with us?
Speaker 1: Take that straight hand and Robin Roberts and George Stepanopolis eat it. Yeah, thank you, I appreciate it. We'll take the viewers in Mobile, Alabama all day long. Jim Naggy, you're awesome, dude. Executive director of the Senior Bowl and as plugged in as anybody with this stuff.
Speaker 3: Thanks dude, yep, thanks Peter.
Speaker 1: That was fun. Aaron, I'm gonna ask you, you think we could do this. We could put up a tweet either from my Twitter thing or whatever. But we have a two side by side lists players we love and it's Jim Naggy's five names and it's my five names, and viewers and listeners can go google all the highlights and on. So maybe we'll do that. Maybe we'll ask for that in addition to getting a good social media clip. Draft is now less than ten days away. I feel pretty good, and I got to tell you I'm excited for it. It's a sports event that has no agenda other than just good Vibes guys getting drafted, and every team and fan base is like feeling positive. Can I tell you that I saw a movie that I think is like maybe I don't know if it's my favorite movie, but like just like good Vibes movie, it felt like a throwback and I have to talk about it, and I know you haven't seen it yet. I loved Air with Damon and Affleck and I went into this thing, dude, like alright, I get it. It's another it's a bite of the apple because the last dance was popular and everyone's Michael Jordan, okay, and now we're gonna do the Michael Jordan's Shoe movie. I kind of roll my eyes and affleck. I see him on you know, US Weekly and with j Low, and he's doing one hundred interviews promote this thing, and I'm like, here's the scenario. My wife's best friend, Courtney, was getting married on Saturday, and she's a bride'smaid in the wedding, and it was one of those deals like where it was like I was in my twenties again and I'm not a part of the wedding party. My wife's getting hair and makeup done at ten am, and I had all day and no agenda, nothing to do, I had no responsibilities. So me and another one of the bride'smaid's husbands we went to see this movie. And I come in at ten thirty in the morning to a movie theater. This is like the greatest day you can imagine for a guy who's got a six week old child at home and a six year old child who's keeping me up at all hours, Like get to go to this movie. And from the very start where it starts with dire straits money for Nothing as the opening song. It is a just a soundtrack from nineteen eighty four of hits. I don't know how Amazon had the budget for this thing. They had born in the US. They have like, you know, massive hits from start to finish, and they go with the movie and every song has a link to the story and the story itself. There was no romance in the movie. There were no politics in the movie. It was you know, I'm rooting for this little upstart, the corporate behemoth Nike, Like that's how you come up. You're like, oh, capitalism rules. At the end, like it's the it's a fun movie and it's just soaked in nostalgia and the way that you know, Ben Affleck plays Phil Knight. I've read Shoe Dog. I have such great reverence for everything about Phil Knight, and then Affleck comes in and kind of takes the piss out of them but kind of doesn't and it's just you appreciate all of it. If you are a sports movie fan. It is the most low investment, low stakes movie you can watch. There is a ninety minute movie that you can watch, enjoy, be just dripped in eighties nostalgia. If you love hoops, if you love you know the story of how Nike beat out Adidas, end and converse to get Michael Jordan. I can never imagine this being a feature film. I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 2: Oh man, well, I'm excited to see it. It reminds me a little bit of a Showtime where they have the whole storyline in Showtime about Magic Johnson, winning Time, Winning Time, about the Showtime. Yeah, yeah, yeah, winning Time.
Speaker 1: It's funny because in that one, it's like, here's Jerry West, Here's Magic Johnson, and their portrayals are at times they weren't favorable, and they certainly weren't well liked by the subjects. Michael Jordan has one word in this movie. You don't see his face. It's all about his mother. It's all about Sonny Vaccaro, who was the Nike basketball guy. And then I'll tell you put Damon Bateman an Affleck in a movie. I'm seeing it. I'm seeing it's Jason Bateman, not the greatest, like third man in on a movie I've never seen Ozark. I love Teen Wolf too, like I have a lot of heart for Bateman. I love Arrested development, but like he is perfectly casted in this movie, and Viola Davis is perfectly casted in this movie. Can you do me a favorite? Can you see it this week so we could talk about it next week? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to see that in Mario, so that'll take probably total of three hours, right.
Speaker 1: Both just like they're like fast food and I don't even know when Amazon's putting it on Amazon Prime, Amazon Prime but partner of the NFL, by the way, probably soon. It's you don't have to rush to the theater. But like when they start with ah wan my MTV, I'm like, all right, I'm in, let's go. And I don't know. The movie was awesome. I loved it, So there you go. My movie recommendation. Air. The NFL Draft is almost here. Everybody tune in to watch. Please watch the NFL Network version. I respect mel kiper, I like Rees Davis. I don't know who else is on their crew, but I'm on the NFL network, So please watch NFL Network. We've got a really good group and for three days, I would appreciate the viewership. You listen to my podcast, you might as well watch us on TV. It's US DESPN we're partners, but truly, I'm asking you to watch NFL Network. It does us all a lot of good and I can't wait. It's in Kansas City. It's one of my favorite cities in the country. It's one of my favorite football towns. Aaron, thank you for joining me on this podcast. We'll be back next week. I don't know what we're doing exactly. I actually think we're gonna record another one this week. We'll see, and it's gonna be lightning fast and a quick, rapid fire mock draft with someone that I really respect, and I think it'll be really good. But until then, The Season with Peter Schrager. Thank you to the iHeart folks, Jason English and the House. As always, Aaron, thanks to you, thanks to everyone at the NFL Network, and let's go Draft season, best time of year. The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL well and partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.