Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Maxie and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law Firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell.
Speaker 1: You're Still Philadelphia. Seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Clark's Casino Fact Oh Baby Love Pa chabb to beat on the back down against weapon You're a power filet slabs of the seventy six Ers postgame show right now on ninety seven five The Fanatic.
Speaker 3: It's the Parks Casino postgame show after a one thirty two one twenty three seventy six Ers loss to the Hawks in Atlanta, second night of a back to back for the team after beating Utah in Philadelphia in a Sunday night game. It's the first of the three with Atlanta over the next four weeks to close the regular season. They'll be there again later this month and host them towards the very end of the season in mid April. So the Hawks get the first one. Another lengthy injury report in this one, but Quentin Grimes led all scorers with thirty five points, twenty four of those after halftime earlier in the day before we get to Tom McGuinness and hopefully hear from Sixers coach Nick Nurse. The Sixers said that Paul George leftgroin's soreness, would not play tonight or tomorrow or Wednesday in Toronto. And here is Nick Nurse postgame, you.
Speaker 4: Know, on the back to back and nine guys and and you get, you know, going the wrong way a little bit, but you know, I'm just trying to keep them fighting you know, like and they and I did it a great job of that of of continuing to try to try to get back in the game, and they almost did it. But but you know, you gotta, you gotta, you gotta like that that they that they keep fighting all the way through to the to the final Buzzer talked about.
Speaker 5: Still infusing that positivity on an early basis, is that like an example of that where you guys, as the coaching staff, them within themselves are still providing that.
Speaker 4: I guess, well, I think that again like like you never really know, like and I know this is like just this is just the way it is, is you never really know like what the energy levels are going to be like on a back to back, and I thought some guys weren't quite moving great and and you know, just again like like just a half second, laid on some stuff and you know, and we kind of got some points across at the half. And you know, I thought, like Boonena, for example, didn't play great first up, but played really good in the second, right, so he kind of he kind of got into the game and and got going. Obviously Q got going, I thought, even Yabu, I mean he didn't have a ton of offense, uh for him tonight. But I thought he thought he played a lot better in the second half. Ricky obviously had a good second half too. So you know, you kind of always talk about on the back to backs to try to get the game to halftime and then and then start, you know, start trying to figure out how to how to come out of there and and and you know what the adjustments are and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just a question about the first time you see him now, but he's the biggest plug list he made for you.
Speaker 4: Listen. I think the biggest thing, uh, the player like him or any any first year player, is what level of confidence do they exude out there? And I think he's got a lot of confidence, right. He he took shots when they were there, He drove the ball when he was supposed to, He vaulted up and scored, he rebounded the ball.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And it's and he is really good composure, doesn't doesn't really let any anything phase him. So I think that's a great, great, two great qualities for a young player to have.
Speaker 2: I mentioned just maybe a step slow on some stuff early on.
Speaker 5: Just what what do you feel like were the biggest factors that got you guys in the.
Speaker 1: In the hole that you did well.
Speaker 4: We were really having a hard time guarding uh Daniels a penetration and then uh then man came in. He was really getting to the baseline to the front of the rim and and scoring some easy buckets. And then they started kind of operating in the middle of the lane, both of them, and we just couldn't we couldn't keep them out of there. We couldn't anticipate the spin moves to to swarm them a little bit. And they were they were physical, you know, kind of physically bullying us down to the front of the rim time after time. That that to me was probably the biggest thing. And and we did want to kind of squeeze squeeze in a little bit. I thought we started doing that. And then the third they just they made a bunch of you know, they made like all their open you know, kickouts, which you know, they made the right reads. Give them credit, and they stepped into the shots. Give them credit, but you're just hoping that some of those are you know, that they're not going to make make you know, it seemed like they made about five or six in row they probably didn't, but it felt like it when you.
Speaker 2: Have so many guys out that are your starters, your leaders, who who like on a night like tonight, sort of stepped up in that regard, whether it's like in huddles, outs, like on the floor, like who just noticed doing that?
Speaker 5: More of that today?
Speaker 4: Well, I thought Jarrett did a good job again, I thought he had He thought he had a really solid game. I really liked the way he's spraying it around. He does a good job of organizing at both ends, Jeff, you know as well, both the point guards I thought did it did a solid job of keeping us organized and vocal in the timeouts and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then one for me is are you are you starting to know or like recognize when Q does get it going, Like is there something that you're like, Okay, he's starting to get hot or he's he's starting to find some things here now that you've seen him do this.
Speaker 4: A few times, Yeah, you know, obviously you could see just a tremendous pop in his in his in his game, the step backs, the vault ups. So he did a lot of that, most of it, most of it on his own. We did drop a couple of plays for him where he made some threes on there too, but mostly he just find it. I thought he did a good job of organizing and he found some matchups to attack, sprinkled in just enough drives, I thought, you know, along with the with the threes. So it's good. He's he when he gets going, he's he can he can really heat up.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 6: What is yeah, what is fitting when you see Nicholas b still and again because he was a niceties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's Nick was great for us. In fact, I was just talking about him today with with one of my coaches, and I also noticed that Risch kind of has that Nick patumb quick release from the corner, you know, when he catches it above his head, he just he just goes right into that quick release motion, which which is interesting. But Patom was really good for us, like in so many little ways that you wouldn't maybe appreciate. One of them was he was an incredible inbound passer late in games. He always delivered it safely, you know, and not always. That's that's like believe it or not, that's like a really special uh quality to have.
Speaker 1: But great guy.
Speaker 4: Great pro loved having him for.
Speaker 3: A one thirty two to one twenty three road loss in Atlanta. Matt Murphy and Tom McGuinness here with you, and Tom I heard you late in the game. I don't have anything going back historically on the four for four coaches challenges to per side tonight, but it is impressive, especially because we often talk about that number of when you're in the fourth quarter of a game. Sometimes just use it just because situation, and the number is like a fifty three percent success rates over both teams to go two for two tonight. I know the Sixers used them earlier in the game. That was impressive, But how about the fourth quarter fight that they showed, led by Grimes and Council.
Speaker 1: Well, first, Marv Albert used to say, our crack research staff. Where's the research staff? Where are the numbers on that No.
Speaker 3: You had a yes call late in the game. It kind of sounded like Mark.
Speaker 1: Now, look, those guys battled, you know what I mean, and they're gonna keep playing. They're certainly trying to keep up scoring wise, and Grimes was really in a groove there. But again, like coach said, the six Ers there were something fundamentally defensively where they couldn't get stops and Atlanta ended up with one hundred and thirty two points. Right, that's fifteen over their average, which is top five in the league. So that was obviously problematic. But the first quarter both teams were like, you know, on fire, but they kept going. They shot a great percentage throughout the course of the game, and Daniels ended up with twenty five points for them. So, yeah, the Sixers just didn't have enough. And I thought rebounding was a key area. They they had a dominant rebounding game, and their points in the paint were just totally outsourced the Sixers in that area. So those are things that hurt the Sixers in the course of this one.
Speaker 3: Forty eight thirty one on the glass, seventy six, forty six points in the paint. We just heard from Nick Nurse postgame and then pregame that Nurse answer about keeping things together. What was it that stood out to you about that one?
Speaker 1: Well, funny because twice he was he referenced college about you know, Gina Mozelle was doing most of the questioning, and like the first reference was sometimes when you're studying for an exam, you just got to stop it. You know, you're not really absorbing. She was asking him like, how do you keep going with your process and your rhythm, because honestly, for these coaches, players obviously they're the ones performing, but the coaches, they owe it to the players. And this is how the coaches feel to put forth a game plan that that those that's like eighty two final exams, the preparation they do, and you know, it's going through all the information and then coming up and distilling that down to an actual game plan that you can present and teach and try to get across to your ball club. And coach was just saying it felt like college, or sometimes you just like he's never gonna just take three days off in a row, like he might take a chunk of a day off and just get away just because sometimes you just need to step away. So that was the one college reference. The other one was talking about these seasons are precious, you know, like you don't you know they're not. It's not assumed you're gonna get dozens and dozens of these there. It's like college, like you know, the first year goes and then you realize that the moments, the memories, the years are going to be quickly going away, right, and and that was that that's what he just you know, you get the sense having been around Nurse now and we were around him a little bit on a peripheral basis, and that the Sixers played Toronto a number of times on a given year, including in the playoffs. But when you're around somebody for six seven eight months a year, like we are with the Sixers coaches, you get the sense that he's it's a deep rivers. He's pretty smart. And I just like the way he processed that and just talking about being positive and being kind and you know, like even though it's a tough, tough year, you know, you want to make it that everybody wants to come back in and keep growing and developing. And you know, for these guys, you know, dealing with the injuries, you still have to put forth the best lineup possible and the best effort and like I said, a game plan. All of that I think is maybe what I was talking about.
Speaker 3: And he's often during his downtime he comes to Blue Coats games. And he was there on Friday when Council scored forty with his sons and they had the kid zone a closed off, so he was like showing he's pointing out on the floor showing his kids basketball pointers during the game because they couldn't play in the kids zone. But he obviously spends so much of his time around the game.
Speaker 1: But the support for Mike Longebardi and the players and the organization, that's especially coming off a road trip, you know that that's a leader right there. So that's that's pretty impressive. And I'm sure it meant a bunch of those guys and the Ricky.
Speaker 3: All these guys, Alex Reese too. He's like, I know, Alex didn't shoot the ball great that night for the Blue Coats when I saw him, but I liked him as a ball mover. And then the last two games for the Sixers, he's been getting a lot of minutes, so he got to play in front of the NBA coach and now play for him down the stretch of the season, which goes to Toronto nurses former home on Wednesday. And the Raptors beat the Wizards tonight one nineteen one oh four, so they entered the day separated in the standings, the Sixers one one and a half games ahead, but now with these results, it's a half game and the Raptors played two against Washington. They almost beat him on Saturday, but they had a game winner waved off. And they've beaten the Sixers two times already this season. What are your thoughts on this year's Raptors.
Speaker 1: Well, we haven't seen him in quite a while. I know they've played extremely hard in the games that we talked about, you know, and they just have a whole different look. But Barnes is such a really good player and quickly he's done good. We haven't seen our j I'm pretty sure he did play.
Speaker 3: He's back now, Yeah, he almost They had good balance in the starting lineup with Barnes and Barrett and quickly right.
Speaker 1: So, you know, they're definitely, you know, like on the rise. I don't know how close they are in terms of, you know, one or two players away, but we'll know more on Wednesday, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Their leading scorer tonight was former College Park Skyhawk aj Lawson, a career high thirty two points off the Toronto Raptors bench. And the Sixers will be there on Wednesday, Tom, thank you as always.
Speaker 1: All right, Murph koknight, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Tom mcguinnis. After the Sixers game in Atlanta, one twenty three Hawks will have his highlight calls. We'll run through this game from start to finish after a quick break, and then we'll also dive into the box score with our stat of the game as well before and check check on the NBA standings too. So more to come. You're listening to the seventy six Ers Postgame Show presented by Parks Casino. Welcome back to the seventy six Ers Postgame Show presented by Parks Casino. Second night of a back to back for the Sixers, a home road back to back from Philadelphia where they beat the Jazz to Atlanta to meet the Hawks for the first time this season. Let's hear how it sounded as called by Tom McGuinness the Sixers and the Hawks in Atlanta. Matt Murphy back with you. There were sixteen inactives in this game, including between both teams, Joel Embiid, Paul George Tyrese, Maxi, Kelly Oubre Junior, and then on the Hawks side, Trey Young, Caris Lavert and others. Drummond didn't play either for the Sixers after Ubre and Drummond played last night against Utah. First quarter as the Sixers started their fortieth, different starting lineup of Jared Butler, Quinton Grimes, Lonnie Walker, the fourth, Justin Edwards, and gershon Yabusele. Walker played with Brooklyn last year, but in fifty eight games didn't have any starts. He starts for the Sixers in Atlanta, which features the number one overall pick this year, Zachary Reza Sche. He had eleven points in the first quarter for the Sixers. Walker was coming off a twenty five point eleven rebound game against the Jazz, and his layup in the first ties it at eighteen Sixers.
Speaker 1: In battle the side, Walker with it gets a screen by padem Bona into the lane, leans in right hand layup, upping good Man. He goes from place to place about as quick as any player. Lonnie Walker with his first hoop, Sixers tied at eighteen.
Speaker 3: Walker in the Sixers in blue just a game ago and I had Ago Hawks in white with some red and yellow, and because of Riza SHA's eleven first quarter points, they led thirty three thirty one. Walker had eleven total in this game, two point lead for the home team going into the second, where Resa Sha kept it going as part of a twenty three to eight run his dunk caps.
Speaker 1: It shot clock down to six stout and outside right walker from way outside wait short no oh congo with the rebound, great feet of Resa Shae and secondary Resa s slams at for Atlanta holy Man and he go running in there to dunk that ball. Hawks by fourteen.
Speaker 3: Fifty seven to forty three. Resa sha ends with a line of twenty two points, eight rebounds, two assists. He shot nine for sixteen, three for eight from three made is only foul shot thirty one minutes. Second leading scorer on their team behind Dyson Daniels. But the shooting slowed down in the second quarter, particular from beyond the arc, where the teams combined for only three threes. They both shot from the field in the first above fifty percent from the field, not just from three, but the Sixers did capture a little bit of momentum heading into the halftime locker room. It's it's Rickey Council the fourth with the steal. Then across the pac man and Edwards beats the buzzer.
Speaker 1: Here comes Daniels across the Hawks logo out of center court gets red and white, looks like a pac man. Rickey counsel stole the ball two seconds Tad Wards layup god Sixers with under a second to go.
Speaker 3: Edward's a six point game. Council had a big fourth quarter still to come, where he would do most of his scoring. But Atlanta outscored the Sixers thirty three to twenty six in the second even with that late basket, for a sixty six fifty seven halftime lead, and they would outscore Philadelphia by a similar margin in the third. It was thirty one twenty three in the quarter. Despite three threes in Q three for Jeff Dalton.
Speaker 1: Junior, Grimes cuts it a corner. Jeff goes out top the Yabusele three on o'clock. Here's doubt junior Kenny good second straight train. It's good. He inbounded, he hustled beyond the man. I'm the left perimeter and put it in. Doubton Junior now four of five. He's got three threes, a dozen points, six to s make it an eleven point.
Speaker 3: Game, eighty one seventy Atlanta at the time. Seventeen points for Doubton four for six from three in the game in twenty eight minutes off the bench, one point shy of his season high, which is also his career high of eighteen ninety seven eighty was the score at the end of three. The Hawks were up. Sixers would make a run, though, and it was not just Counsel, it was Quinton Grimes who had an even better fourth quarter. He scored seventeen in the fourth, twenty four in the second half on a thirty five point night. Grimes on the step.
Speaker 1: Back Grimes is back he fires for three in that too. Grimes now nine field goals, three of which are threes, twenty one points, leading the Sixers six or so trail by sixteen what twelve ninety six Hawks.
Speaker 3: Bowl thirty five points for Grimes in thirty nine minutes, fourteen for twenty five, shooting five for eleven from three, two free throws on two tries, thirty five seven rebounds, five assists, three steals the game high steals man. Quinton Grimes continues to score very well for the Sixers. They would get within five late in this game because not only did Quinton have seventeen in the fourth, Rickey Council the fourth had fourteen of his nineteen. But the Hawks do win it despite being outscored forty three to thirty five. In the final quarter one, thirty two, one, twenty three. The team records are Philadelphia twenty two and forty two, Atlanta thirty one and thirty four. The team totals on the shooting front, the Hawks fifty four percent from the floor forty point five from three, They were fifteen for thirty seven and seventy nine just under seventy nine percent from the line, they only took fourteen. The Sixers were fifty percent plus fifty and a half percent from the floor thirty eight from three to Atlanta above forty Sixers took five more sixteen for forty two from three, led by Grimes five for eleven, and at the line they were fifteen for twenty. Matt Murphy here with you. Our stat of the game is the points in the paint. The Atlanta Hawks seventy six the seventy six Ers forty six, a thirty point difference. That is not the most points in the paint for any team this year, but it's not far off. Been a number of seventy six point in the paint games league wide. There only have been seven games where a team has scored eighty plus in the paint, and that's all thirty teams, so seventy six is a big number. It is our stat of the game. Quinton Grimes led all scorers with thirty five. Clint Capella and Zachary Reza sha tied for a game high in rebounds with eight each. Reza Shay had twenty two. Diyson Daniels had the most assists seven points with his team high twenty five points. Actually they they upped that to nine by the end of this one. Nine assists twenty five points, six rebounds, nine assists for Dyson Daniels. Grimes did have more steals, though than the NBA's steals leader Dyson Daniels, who had two. Grimes had three steals with the thirty five points. Two high scorers off the Hawk's bench Terrence Man, the former Clipper they got at the deadline in the Bogdan Bogdanovitch trade, George Niang, the former sixer who they got from Cleveland in the DeAndre Hunter trade, had eighteen nineteen for Man, fifteen for Okongwu. Mohammed Gay had fourteen as the starting power forward. Sixers bench had three in double figures nineteen for Council, seventeen for Dalton, twelve for a dem Bona following up the career high fourteen points, fifteen rebounds and five blocks against Utah with twelve points against Atlanta. Other than Grimes is thirty five in the starting lineup, eleven each for Jared Butler and Lonnie Walker, the fourth seven for yabuseele in twenty eight minutes, and six points for Justin Edwards in twenty one minutes. Alex Reese had five points off the bench in eighteen minutes of action. There were twelve games in the NBA tonight, including some that have shifted the Sixers in the standings. Brooklyn has gone into eleventh. The Sixers have dropped to twelfth via the tiebreaker of division record because Brooklyn and Philadelphia split two two in the regular season. Chicago is the tenth seed in the play in tournament. They beat Indiana one twenty one to one to oh three, so they put a little more distance between themselves and Brooklyn and Philadelphia. Toronto has closed the gap on the Sixers as they've been having more success of late, and that'll be the matchup on Wednesday. In Canada. It's a half game behind Philadelphia for the Toronto Raptors, who beat the Washington Wizards one nineteen one oh four, and it was just a half second off their shot from beating the Wizards on Saturday this past Saturdays. So some teams right near each other in the standings there and have shifted around and they'll play Wednesday. That's the Sixers next opponent. That'll be it for this version of the seventy six Ers postgame Show presented by Parks Casino again the I'll score Atlanta one thirty two, Philadelphia one twenty three. The G League version of this matchup is Tomorrow night and Thursday morning in Delaware at Chase Fieldhouse the College Park Skyhawks College Park, Georgia, the Hawks G League affiliate, will be in town to play the Sixers G League team, the Blue Coats, and I'll be on the call with d Linem Those are both on ESPN Plus and thanks to our producers tonight for this show and the game, Matt man Arix, Sean Rodman, Brendan Gunn and Mike Morano and of course Tom McGuinness on the call. That game. Wednesday is another seven to thirty pm Eastern road start against the Raptors in Toronto, and our coverage here on the Sixers Radio Network presented by Jackpot City Casino will begin at seven to twenty Eastern, with sixers and sixty beforehand on ninety seven to five The Fanatic. Until then, I'm Matt Murphy saying thanks so much for listening, have a great Tuesday tomorrow, and take care