Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: I'm a football fan for a long time, since the seventies. I don't watch football without something to eat and drink. Trust me, it's a whole different ballgame when you're eating. Right now, I got two things today from Uber Eats. Right now. When you buy one large extra most BESTUS Pepperoni pizza from Little Caesars like this one, you get another one free. By the way, one of these has already been eaten like me and my wife fifteen minutes ago. Yes, that's right, an extra extra most bestest pizza thrown in there, extra cheese, extra pepperoni, all for the price of just one. And since Uber each is the official on demand food delivery partner of the NFL, you know all the gamed ideals keep coming all season long. Wings and tacos and subs and pizzas, chips and dips, whatever whatever it is. Uber Eats delivers right to your door. So when your team puts up the extra point, reward yourself with an extra pizza order Little Caesars on Uber Eats today. We did the terms apply see the app for details. Pizza, pizza, extra extra, something's going on here, all right, We're ready for an hour plus. John Middlecoff, former NFL scout, has his own podcasts three and Out. It is Sunday. There's a lot to talk about. Listen, Let's let's start with a non competitive game. Rams forty two, Niners twenty. It's just amazing. The Rams are the least penalized team in the league. No penalties in this This is one of those things when I used to cover the Patriots, right, I was when I was on the East Coast. They went years and I was always like, nobody fumbles for New England and I used to tell friends, I'm like, is it a stickham thing? People would field on the ball? An they're well coached the Rams for the second year of the least penalized team, you go into a heated rivalry game, no penalties, no turnovers. My take is obviously the Niners were all banged up, but it is so efficient. You can see the coaching with the Rams. That's what I feel like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the forty nine ers, their defense is a mass unit. But when you play a mass unit and you're a good team, you score in every drive and that's essentially what the Rams did. And Stafford is a dominant player, right now. I mean, he's a legitimate He's probably had some years. I have to really dive in, but this feels like his highest level of play consistently week in week out, especially when you factor in his age. Remember McVeigh all offseason said, listen, we value what because of our money situation, we are underpaying Matt Stafford and we know it. They approach this offseason with him much different than they did years ago with the golf situation. They were just transparent about it. They're like, we know we technically have to underpay him. We know he's better than what we're He's maying forty million dollars a year. I mean, Trevor Lawrence makes more than him, right, Tua makes more than him, Perty makes more than him. So he is Pukah is an incredible talent and and him have that. He has like a Rogers level rapport with.
Speaker 3: Him immediately immediately he had no training camp. I mean, give me a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, I forgot about that because the back didn't work. So you try they are. It feels like we're on a collision course right now. We're recording this obviously before the Monday night game, so we'll see the Eagles and the Packers. But I would say the Rams in Seattle look like they're playing at a really high level. The forty nine ers offense actually is playing at a really high level. It's just defense that they're rolling out me and you, and they got no chance to stop a good team.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, if you looked at the box score and didn't look at the score and watch the game, Niners, move the ball. I'll say this about Mac Jones. You know, Mac Jones is a big, sturdy kid. I think he throws a really nice ball. He's not super athletic, but like I get when I watch him, like I get why he was a great high school college and a pro bowler. Like Mac throws a real ball. He makes good decisions, tight spiral. You know, he moved out and threw a touchdown pass, you know, scrambling to a tight end. It's like I would have no problem as a bridge quarterback for a couple of years going with Mac Jones if I was an NFLGM or a coach. He's one of the better bridge guys in a law and to me in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd even argue he's probably better than that. You know, Like, clearly you watch Sam Darnold, his physical traits are that of a guy that was drafted really high in any draft. Quarterback inflation are back in the nineties. Mac doesn't have those physical attributes. But he's an NFL starting quarterback. But he's on a two year contract. Count did you see the clip with Brady when they asked him on the pregame show about you know Mac Jones and he said, well, once upon a time, you know, you can't not go to Mac Jones the way he's playing. And I found myself in a situation a long time ago, and I look at me now, I'm probably not here if I wasn't, and I just went. I actually don't think it's that controversial to say Pretty's tow doesn't work. He can't even dress for games. Mac Jones is the quarterback for the entire season. Like, I don't expect Perdy to play, and if he does, he'll immediately just reinjure his toe. That's what happened LT. That's the injury he has. He's got a unique injury. It's not one of those things that just heals. He's never gonna be one hundred percent. So if he's compromised. Mac Jones is keep playing to me, Mac Jones plays the rest of the season. And you know, the crazy thing is, Colin, we're not that far away from the Bears and the forty nine. Ers play in about four or five weeks, and that could potentially be for the seventh seed. Now the Niners, they play the Cards, the Titans, the Browns. Remember we talked about at the beginning of the season, the Patriots and the Niners. There's the Bear schedule gets a little more difficult, Packers a couple of times, the Steelers, even the Vikings, I think next week in Minnesota, so the Niners, but they all they play each other. So if the Bears can just kind of hold serve, we could have a pseudo, you know, December playoff game for that seventh seed Niners Bears, which would be pretty fun. It'd be I'm also the Mac Jones thing. Let's say you could trade him this offseason. I think he's too valuable to the forty nine. He makes no money, He's on a two year, seven million dollar contract, and perty is, let's face it, he ripped up his arm. Granted that was the last game of the season, but if that happens in October. He missed the season this year. I mean, onces he goain to end up playing two or three games. Mac Jones value to the forty nine ers, I'd argue, is more valuable unless you're getting like a first round pick, which you're probably not. I'm not giving them away. I'm just holding him for the next this year, next year until perty proves that he can stay on the field.
Speaker 3: Oh and the Niners will get calls on Matt Jones.
Speaker 2: And they'll say and Kyle, Kyle's been open about it. He wanted to take him, and then I think as the process went on, he kind of went to the guy with in quotes more upside. But there's no way Kyle does like him. Now. You know he's well today, he's just slink. He didn't have incompletions, I mean hitting guys on the hill, and beside Kittle and McCaffrey, there's a lot of DeMarcus Robinson's and Kendrick Bourne. He's not throwing to Jerry Rice and John Taylor out there.
Speaker 3: Colin no, no, I mean I'm impressed with mac Jones. And the other thing we saw in the late window when raw usters get depleted, which they do November on elite quarterbacks Golf Stafford and look at the way late window Darnald blowout wins when you have a b quarterback and Mac, I'm telling you max If Max a backup, he's the best backup in the league. To me, he's a he's a bridge or a franchise guy. And he struggled to compete today. So what you saw in the late window, this is something I've been on now for years. John. The bottom of the NFL by November looks like the bottom of the NBA. It's unwatchable because the league is so quarterback dependent when if you don't have a star quarterback, because everybody's I mean the Rams are lucky, they don't get penalties, they don't get hurt. I mean, nobody's hurt, Buy and large. Everybody's banged up right now. Everybody's dinged up. The Packers are dinged up, the Niners are dinged up. You know, it's just the way the league is. It really helps to have a horse quarterback. And you saw it today. So you know, Rams in a blowout win forty to twenty six as we went on the air, and that game wasn't quite done. I want to talk about the Bears for a second. So Chicago beats New York twenty four to twenty and so it was Kayleb Williams and Jackson Dart, and Jackson Dart out played him for the first three quarters. But there is something I've said this about Kayleb Williams multiple times. John he doesn't get hurt and he doesn't throw interceptions. Jackson Dart gets hurt a lot, and he'll throw picks. Now Jackson, I thought he plays with a ton of confidence. He throws a nice ball. Jackson played really really well. He had a couple of touchdown runs. One was a twenty four yard run. It was a big time run. Both those quarterbacks can really way above average movement, way above average. Now again, Caleb had a great fourth quarter. But when I watched the game, and you have to watch the whole game, there's becoming an issue with Jackson Dart. He's blue tenttonent. He's getting banged up a lot. This is my brock Purty thing. If you're a little smaller or you play with a lot of confidence. Baker Mayfield used to do that. First couple of years. He played with more confidence than he should have. Somebody would pick him off. He'd square them up. It's like, bro, you're a quarterback, You're not a free safety.
Speaker 1: Would it worry you?
Speaker 3: The Jackson Dart concussion today, the constant blue tent visits and the injuries.
Speaker 2: I think it worries me. With all these young quarterbacks, they all have a style. You know, I would say Caleb Williams style is the same thing. He's just built more like a like a tank. They all scramble around and run around. I mean, Jaden Daniels nowhere to be found. Where did he get hurt running? You know? I mean this is the new age. We watch football every Saturday for four plus months and it's fantastic. But they're all moving around. So back in the day, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady one, all those guys are huge. The quarterbacks now are smaller. I mean they're definitely smaller, but they move around. To me, the Jackson Dart the play that he got injured on, the one that he fumbled, it was like a quarterback power which had worked earlier in the game. So when you're calling those plays and the guy's name's not Cam Newton, you know this is the NFL. You know he got rocked by like three guys, And I mean there were a lot of plays. The strength of Caleb was on full display today. How many sacks did you break out of? I actually think there's an element that it's like, I'm not gonna sound critical, but he almost throws too hard. There were so many balls that were dropped by those guys throughout the game. It's probably you know you're there, right, how cold is it in Chicago? You probably can't feel your hands. Balls are probably I bet some of those guys are gonna wake up in the morning with sore hands. But on the balls where Jackson Dart was completing him, it was more rollout lobs. It's hard to complete. The Brett farv Farvest players used to talk about this in Green Bay, like it is hard to yes in December and November, and I just thought, like, it's not that Rome is a bad player, but you catch that. I would say Caleb Williams has right now as strong of an arm as anyone. In the end, he led a couple rip today where you're is like, that's Josh Allen, if not stronger, it was Jesus.
Speaker 3: How about he rolled right?
Speaker 2: I was impressed. I've been hard on him. I thought I was impressed today with how he played in the weather too.
Speaker 3: He rolled right. He threw a ball to Dj Moore in the end zone. He caught it, but he was out of bounds. John. It was forty yards. I swear to god, it was a line drive to left field. It was about as high as the shortstop. It was a freaking rope in a windy, cold environment, and DJ Moore, to his credit, caught it, but it was out of bounds. His the word I always use with Caleb, and I'd never used it with any quarterback before, is just horsepower. He is a V eight. I mean it is he is. And here's the air thing. The knock on him Caleb is he holds the ball too long. But I was thinking about this today. He doesn't throw picks, so in his mind is yeah, I'm gonna hold it longer than other guys because my escapability outside of Lamar Jackson is probably second best in the league. So first of all, I'm stronger than Lamar Jackson. So if I do get hit, I mean he rolls.
Speaker 2: You can't if your breaks like a younger Russ Wisley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or big ben where a defensive player gets on his shoulder and he just brushes him off. So I think a lot of him holding the ball is I just trust that I'm going to escape. And you know, I watched it a couple of times today. When he had that big run down the sideline, I'm like, if he was a running back, you wouldn't want to size him up if you were a safety.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's a big dude.
Speaker 2: I remember we did this maybe like week two and one. Thing that jumped out to me, you know, because last year their games were just so I mean they had what like a ten game losing streak. I mean, they didn't matter bad. You watch him this year. He is way more athletic than I think people thought coming out. Also, you know, when you're judging him against Arizona and Arizona State and Colorado right in college, you see him against these NFL guys, He's running faster than them. Now. You know, I'm not saying he's Lamar Jackson in the open field, but he is way faster than I expected.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I thought he kind of won them the game down the strets today. He may he did play after a huge play four It flipped when dark gets hurt. Russell Wilson, who's just man, it's hard to come in in a game where it's freezing cold, but god.
Speaker 1: He looks terrible.
Speaker 3: So Caleb's fourth game winning drive in six weeks. And my whole life, I have watched the Bears lose games like they're winning. And this, by the way, it's different. Denver's winning. But the quarterback plays awful. The quarterback play with Chicago's wildly dynamic. And what's interesting, Caleb's gotten better late in games. He may not be as good on the script that he was in the first four weeks. Like now he's doing stuff on his own. And I mean right now this season, in the fourth day, he had seventy seven yards passing, a passing touchdown, one hundred and nine passer rating, fifty two yards rushing, and a rushing touchdown. Okay, and again that's not the script, that's the opposite of script. Those were crucial drives to win the game with a ton of pressure. Yeah, I think, well, I.
Speaker 1: I think he's a hit.
Speaker 3: I listen, winning games is like today I watched the Colts ough, God drove me crazy. They won the game. This is that's why with analytics. Sometimes I'm like, I'm gonna get points sometimes not the touchdown. I need to win the game so we all keep our mortgage right.
Speaker 2: Well, well, to me, the Bears game, if that had been a probably its priority in Chicago. But let's say it's a seventy five degree November early November game. You know, perfect weather, let's even say like sixty. I like, well, the Giants are terrible when it's freezing cold. That makes the game very difficult. I don't care who you're playing. I'm sure you saw some of that Wisconsin. You know, Washington game. I owe an Oregon game. It is hard to play in those environments. No one can feel their hands, hard to breathe. I have way more respect, Like I don't judge scores. You know you're not gonna hit many explosive plays in the passing game. What is all? But you know, if you go back and I saw it firsthand because they played the Niners when Lafour got there and they resurrected Rogers' career, they were playing these home games in Green Bay. It's freezing cold, so your vaunted pass attack does not work as well. And you know, University of Washington has one of the best wide receivers in the league, one of the best quarterbacks in the country. They could not operate. They have a great offense, it doesn't function. Or you know, Oregon has NFL players everywhere, they couldn't come function. So it's like, I just go, hey, if you got to win a game thirteen to ten, I actually think and it's an awesome Listen, if you're a Bears fan, you apologize that nobody about winning games. After the last the Giants, this thing I defended probably three or four weeks ago. I'm like, listen, he went all in on this quarterback. He was right, right, I mean, there is if you just pull gms right now, I think thirty two of them would take Jackson Dart over cam Ward today. Now their careers aren't written, but today Brian Daboll was right about the quarterback he liked. Problem is his team. I mean that's I think I read the Day of stat that that's his fourth game in which he had a second half lead of ten plus points and obviously he's had now multiple double digit leads in the fourth quarter in which they employed I mean today he kicked the field goal they had twelve men on the field, but Russell's in the game, not Dart. He declines the penalty and takes the points instead of just getting the first down because and listen, I thought like, hey, you don't want to risk fumbling. You're up twenty to ten. How are the Bears going to score? But then it bit him in the ass. And there were reports, you know, local radio people have connections to ownership that said the ownership was close after the Denver Bronco game. And this feels, you know, you're up twenty to ten, you're cruising. Maybe they give him a little break because darts in the tent. But man's it's hard to it's hard to kind of fend off the arrows, Colin, when you keep having these devastating losses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nothing on these New York football teams. It's just it's just it's a football swamp. Like I think people just go to drown in these places.
Speaker 2: I think didn't have one hundred yards today total and they won. Didn't total running, hand passing.
Speaker 3: That's so bad, all right. Today's show is brought to you by our new presenting sponsor, Hard Rock Bet. They're a great partner on Hard rock Bet. There's always something to bet on. If you haven't tried your first bet on hard rock bet yet, there's still time for you to get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets if you win. Just place a five dollars bet. That's five bucks. If it hits, you not only get your winnings, but you get one hundred and fifty dollars in extra bonus bets. The NBA is back, which means it's time to shoot your shot on hard rock Bet your home for all the hoops action all season long. If you need little help with your first bet, check out the streaks heating up inside the hard Rock bet stats Hub. You can find live odds to bet on all of these streaks right in the hard rock Bet app. Download the hard Rock Bet app today and make first deposit payable and bonus betts not a cash offer offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida. In Florida, offered by Seminole hard Rock Digital LLC and Alder States, must be twenty one plus and physically president in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eighty eight. Admit it in Indiana. If you are somebody you know as a problem wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem called one eight hundred. Gambler Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia. This week's Crunch Time performer, brought to you by McDonald's New Buffalo Ranch Sauce, is Jonathan Taylor. Wow was he great? Went to Berlin, carried the Colts on his back two hundred and forty four rushing yards, three touchdowns, and the Colts wild come from behind overtime went over the Falcons. Taylor's performance was satisfying, just like the first bight of the Bacon Creamy Buffalo MA Crispy Miami thirty Buffalo thirteen. It was sixteen nothing Dolphins at half. An interesting number is Josh Allen had three point five to three seconds to throw. That's his highest since twenty eighteen. Nobody's open, so they didn't make a big move at the trade deadline, and I think everybody thought they should probably add a piece because Kansas City's defense but they had ninety yards at half. They didn't have they didn't pick up a first down on third in the first half. And this is a Miami team we thought quit three weeks ago. We always talk about quarterbacks. You get until the second year, Thanksgiving, second year. I think we've just got to be brutally honest with Sean McDermott here. It's not just Kansas City. There's just too many games where you're just like, I mean, Buffalo should never look like that. Ever, they should never look like that.
Speaker 2: I understand in college when you have a two top ten teams play each other, and then the following week you're playing a two win team and you're tied at halftime, Like these are nineteen year old guys. This is a team that's now for the last five years been one of the top what two or three teams in the entire league.
Speaker 3: And they've got older players here. I mean, they've got a lot of twenty seven, twenty eight, twenty nine year olds.
Speaker 2: The coach has been there, I think since twenty seventeen. Josh has now been the starter for a long time. It's not just on Sean, it's also you know, the quarterback. You know Peyton Manning, Tom Brady. They take a lot of that responsibility as well. So today was embarrassing. I mean it truly well it was. It should have been fourteen nothing. I think the kicker missed an extra point. It was fourteen nothing or thirteen nothing for you even blinked two had a couple. He threw a beautiful touchdown pass to Jalen Waddle, yes, and it was like, okay, fourteen nothing or thirteen nothing. Bill starts slow. I've seen them happen and then ended up winning thirty five to twenty or something, and they never got out of the malaise and it started raining. It was probably human and they just look lifeless. Josh threw one of the worst interceptions I've ever seen him throw. I don't know if he's on the wrong page with the wider You just threw it right to the wide receipt or to the cornerback. They had an awful fumble early in the game when they were driving. They just looked lost. And that's the type game when your main rival, now who's back, is winning and now has a lead, kind of a commanding lead because they already beat you and their scheduled so easy so they're not going away. Andy, you just look big picture, this is going to be the worst team of the Verbel Era for the next couple of years when you factor in how young it is. Right, you just listened to a couple of guys that just started playing their left tackle. It's his rookie year. Their quarterback is his second year. This is the first year of the coaching staffs together. So like their ros pointing up, and I think it kind of reflects that the Bills can really get up for the Chiefs. And for whatever reason, I remember hearing like Houston Rockets, maybe because Kenny Smith say, you know, the sad part is right when we got good Jordan retired. They could never stop a keep and we always played the Bulls well and if we ever saw them, we would have stopped that streak because they would have had no shot because they had no center. We were a team that we played them really well. And some in basketball it happens a lot, right, your matchup football kind of happens sometimes, but if you're good enough whatever, for whatever reason, the Bills match up because their pass rush is good. They treat that game in the regular season like the Super Bowl. They just look like the best team in the league when they play the Chiefs, yep, before and after then they look much more pedestrian. Today though, was I don't know. I mean, I felt like it was one of the more embarrassing performances of the Allen Sean McDermott little air or I think it may be the most.
Speaker 3: I thought maybe they lost a few years ago at home on the opener to the Steelers and they were a favorite, and I was like, what in the hell is that? I thought that game against the Saints this year it was competitive. I was like, Oh, what would bother me today? Is that Miami in the first half average six and a half yards to play. So in my take is it would be one thing if the offence sputtered your defensive coach, John, I've been on this forever. What do you do with your side of the ball? That wasn't just Josh Allen like that defense had no energy. That defense, I mean it just they generated this incredible pass rush against Kansas City and really, I mean two is one of the easiest guys to rush in the league, and he had time to throw. They ran the ball.
Speaker 2: Is in New England? Are you taking New England. As we said here today, do you think New England.
Speaker 3: New England's got the better coach. I think New England and now with Williams and Trayvon Henderson, it's like, oh, I feel like New England now is on the up, like they're an AS sending team. I don't think Buffalo is. I mean, we forget before that Kansas City game, I mean we'd seen them Buffalo go to Atlanta and get worked. I mean, they've had that Saints game they want at home was troubling, Like they've had a lot of Somebody told me this in the league at the beginning of the year. They said, Buffalo doesn't have nearly the roster people give it credit for. They're like James Cook, Josh Allen Oliver, the defensive lineman, who's like, who's hurt. They're like, you know, Dawkins the left tackle. I was talking to it an executive league and he's like, you know, he goes the better rosters or the Rams and the Eagles and the Lions and the Packers, and Kansas City's like Ravens. He's like, Buffalo's roster's not that good. Josh left tackle, quarterback, running back, interior d Lineman. That's why they went and got Bosa. I mean, they've drafted a lot, a lot of draft capital on their defense. That's why they went and got Bosa, who played well against you know, Kansas City, Seattle forty four, Arizona twenty two. It was thirty five nothing, So you know, it's just impossible to keep that up. And Darnold had a couple of just like funny like bizarre turnovers that ball bounces off a tight ends helmet. You know, I'm gonna throw this to you. I got Pete Carroll and John Snyder. You know this battled. They battled, and there was a little tug of war on Pete's kid and John Snyder. And I'm not going to go into too many details, but Pete and John John almost left for Detroit, remember that years ago because he wanted his final say. Well, since Pete's been out of the building, John Snyder's two drafts have been a plus, a plus he is now doing and I think John Jason Light, Howie Roseman, how he's a deal maker. I'm not sure there's many guys better than John Snyder at just personnel college personnel drafting it there's not a lot of guys better. Again, I think Jason light and Tampa's are really good. That's Seattle roster. I wrote this down young, fast, physical. You can turn the sound down. John against Washington and against Arizona, it looks like a college mismatch. They are so fast, they are so physical. Donald's in total control of the offense. Play action, run game, deep game. I don't see the whole. I really don't see the whole with this team. They drafted that safety. That kid's a banger of the South Carolina safety. I don't see the weakness with a team.
Speaker 2: I think the point of difference they have that obviously play the Rams is upcoming week, which is an incredible game, is their dbs are good and the Rams aren't. I think that's the difference because the offenses are both elite. Pass rushes are awesome. Coaching staff's high end. If you and me were the NFL, like in college, how they have the College Football Committee and he rank them one through twelve. I would rank Seattle after this week number one. They would be my number one team, and you just if you just watch them without the sound on. Obviously today, but over the last couple of weeks, the team speed in which they had. I think the the Lob team with Pete was probably the most physical team I've ever seen live. I do think the fastest team I've ever seen live is the Peyton Manning Denver Broncos. Their defense, every single guy could run fast defensive lot. It was DeMarcus Ware, von Miller, Wolf, Malik Jackson, Trevathan they had a key to leap, but their speed and physicality was just I've never seen anything, and I've saw him live a bunch of times. This team has some similarities to those two teams who are kind of taken the league by storm. Every guy, I mean, like you said, em and Worry he's like six. He is their potential Kyle Hamilton. But they already had some good dbs right they drafted the kid Witherspoon from Illinois. They already had Woolan. Obviously, their their linebacker play is fast. Once they got Ernest Jones, they're they're head coach. I mean, we talked so much, and rightfully so about these offensive coaches. He's got a chance to be pretty special. His demeanor, he has a very modern demeanor, you know, like when you watch Vrabel. Rabel is not the throwback of like what I grew up on guys screaming he doesn't he's not is maybe he's a players coach. Yeah, when the doors are shut. I think he's on him in the meetings. But on the sideline, he's very common collected. I would say, Mike McDonald. It almost feels like is he on a couple of zanies or something like it?
Speaker 3: Show?
Speaker 2: But he he there's no he because he knows like he is. He is very common. His team reflects that. And I would say this their personnel move of trading Gino and signing Sam has got a chance to be an all timer. I mean that's got a chance to be because they didn't give Sam. I mean he's gonna end up probably. I mean he's not going anywhere for a while. They gave him one hundred million dollars over three years. I mean it's relative to the other contracts we've seen Colin around five million guaranteed.
Speaker 3: So the salary, the cap hit is just nothing.
Speaker 2: JSN looks like Jerry Rice. I knew the guy was good, but this year he is. It's like Pooka by the way, right when but now this guy was we knew more about Jsn Than pooka Ohio State and first round pick. But you knew after a couple of weeks Puka was a rookie, Like is this real? And then it just never stopped. You know jas N like, is he really this good? In every single week? It's like he's unstoppable.
Speaker 3: And Jaysen was like a five star recruit first round I think it was a first round receiver. I think yeah, the only question was is he a one? Everybody knew it was really good. Now you're like, yeah, he's just contested catches speed. Then they go get Rashid's heat from New Orleans and you know that he now has the offensive coordinator that he had in New Orleans. Now he's in Seattle again. This is a big play offense. What I like about Seattle they can grind you down. If they have a lead, they can run the football up they have a lead. They're a big play offense. They can play from behind. You know, I'm just I'm writing this down throughout the course of the game. Jasn first receiver to one thousand. It's not that weird with Seattle where they averaged six and a half to seven yard to play like it happens regularly, and there is something to be said of trusting your eyes. I think this is now even more than Mike McDonald. I think it's John Snyder's organization. And I've texted Snyder a couple of times. He travels. I mean he's at every weekend. He is a you got to go to these games. Like they always say, to sell a company, you have to take a thousand meetings. John Snyder's on a plane every weekend. He doesn't scout off the TV or film. He wants to go to the games. And I mean they're just when I watch them play. I'm like, when you're a big playoffense and your quarterback has mobility, so you can go down the field. The quarterback, you can move the pocket, you can grind people with a lead. You know, it's like Detroit if GoF had mobility, and that's the whole Like GoF doesn't, but Detroit's a big playoffense and can grind you down. Just think of Detroit's offense and then if Jared Goff could move, you'd be like, shit, what do you do? But we've seen Detroit do that for three years. I think Seattle, like if you don't pay attention like we do. Obviously, people that do this for a living shit, man, they're they're embarrassing teams these How often do you get a thirty five nothing lead in the first half of a pro football game?
Speaker 2: And Arizona had been playing well, even their records not that great, they have been in every single game they played this year. A week ago they easily could be you know, coming into this game, they could have been six and three. I would say the thing with John Schneider, when you think about we talk about offensive coaches, You're like, if JJ can't play for Kevin O'Connell, that's a JJ issue, not a Kevin issue, Right, If you can't play for Kyle Shanahan, that's a you issue because and and that skill is why those guys are going to be paid at the top of the market until they retire from the NFL. John Schneider start, he was the guy that pounded the table for peak against Pete Carroll for Brussell Wilson and ultimately got him to relent and draft him. Obviously, that changed the course of their franchise when they pivoted off Russell, and remember John wanted to do it earlier. Try to trade him to the Cleveland Browns so he could draft Josh Allen. That's what he was gonna take. Then he trades for Gino or he gets Gino as the backup, and they were cool with like, I think we can handle this for a little bit, and he was right. Gino was actually and they got Drew Locke. Remember they won a Monday night football game against the Eagles with Drew lock who is the worst of this whole group. And then he pivots to Sam Darnold. Like I would say, as a quarterback evaluator, John schniders as good as it gets from a GM perspective. And if that's going to be the guy that you're going to invest most of your money into as a franchise, his skill, let alone his ability to build the team, it's I mean, this is now like how many different iterations of the team, the lob team. Remember then they transitioned in the late twenty tens. They were still good, you know, they weren't they weren't going to Super Bowls, but they were never They didn't have four win seasons, they were winning nine to eleven games. And now, I mean, what do they look like to you? A fourteen win team. I mean, who's there if Devine to Adams who kind of hurt his back at the end of the game. We have to monitor that throughout the week. I like see. I think that's gonna be a tough way.
Speaker 3: Tough, sharpest young boys in college football. Josh Paate. I love having him on. I got to tell you, through the years, when I talked to most of my sources aren't players or coaches. They've always been executives. Because I probably absurdly of Oa's fashion myself is if I didn't do this, I'd want to be a GM, not a coach, not a player. I like all the architecture of building stuff, and when you talk to them about players. I remember when Josh Allen came out of Wyoming and I would talk to gms and they're like, Okay, did you see the throw against You know it wasn't against Oregon or Iowa. There's a throw and it was. It's remarkable how often it's a play, a moment, a drive and a scout goes Okay. The Penn State game for Sam Darnold at the Rose Bowl, that's the one everybody went, whoa, whoa, this is? This is different Fernando Mendoza. So first of all, he was going to go to Yale. He settled on col So the kids obviously in Indiana's a good school. So we know he's got brain power. We know he's six five, we know all that stuff. That last drive on the road, Penn State couldn't run face. The defense made three throws, the one in the back of the end zone. Like I'm like, Okay, that's a Sunday player. That's not normal. That's Herbert at Oregon, you know, carrying average people around him. Not average, but cause I think I think Indiana's got good players. They don't have Ohio State guys. Maybe, But I watched that drive and I'm like, oh, he has to come out. That's the number one player in college football. I don't care about Ohio State's linebackers and corners. That's the impression it had on me. It was just sitting on the couch going, oh my god, this looks like Sunday. What was your takeaway on it?
Speaker 1: I thought it was there are very few moments like this, But I was watching it in an airport. First off, seeing a big sporting moment, seeing a big football moment in an airport. It's always unique because it's really a unique setting and you're not there often if you cover the game. So that was Number one, was just to take away of how surreal it is that, Wow, the entire world's fixated on Indiana football in this moment. I thought it was one of those moments where you see someone come of age, like you know someone's got potential and then all of a sudden, it just happens. Right, And sometimes it's just a moment, Like sometimes guys just hit a lucky shot or make a lucky throat, but it's rare. You don't get lucky three times like that on the same drive. It's something that's in you. It's potential you have, and it's not that he hasn't shown flashes. If you're paying attention to college football, right, you knew about him. If you're paying attention to the Mott drafts, you know about him. But you've been waiting for that. Okay, So, like you were talking about scouting there, I've always sort of disagreed with the approach of boiling down a player in your mind to like highlight culture, like I think of one or two grows. I've always wanted to shave the best and the worst off and take what's in the middle, and that's the player. And that's hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of plays. But with Mendoza, he's lesser known to the general public. You just I guarantee you there's a whole army of college football fans out there that know the name Fernando Mendoza and they know he's the quarterback in Indiana. They probably hadn't even watched him a whole lot. That was when they saw him, and that that matters for your Heisman crowd, But that also matters for that locker room. It's one thing to go in there and win thirty eight to ten like A and M just went and took care of Missouri and Marcel Reid didn't have to do on that Saturday what Fernando Mendoza did. And I just could not help. But in the moments afterwards, go back to Oregon. Last year, Oregon just goes wire to wire undefeated. Yeah, that one, like close games early before they got their act together and they go undefeated and they're totally clean, and they go in the playoff first round by and then they get Ohio State and they just get drug and that was the first time and they really tasted their blood, and Indiana looked like they were on a trajectory to maybe do that, and instead they didn't have to suffer the consequences of loss, but they dealt with something. They dealt with having a crawl over broken glass to get a win. And I mean, I'm never going to be in a major college football locker room as a player, but I cannot imagine what that flight home was like. I can't imagine what it's like to look in the mirror. Man as him, Just look in the mirror. Everyone's been talking you up. But sometimes there can be a little imposter syndrome, there can be a little self doubt. There can be none of that with him anymore. It was amazing to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great second half. Penn State marched up and down the field with their backup quarterback over and over and over, and you were like, oh my, we got, we got. I almost tweeted, who's your daddy? I was so close to the play on words. I was like, we're gonna, We're gonna get an upset. And then he took that ball and I was just like, wow, that's impressive. You know, the this weekend. Oklahoma Bama. I like Bama, Iowa, USC take the points. I think it's twenty seven twenty six either way. Iowa was a tough matchup on USC, Texas, Georgia. I'll take Georgia. I want to talk about Kaylen de Bor. That's all I want to talk about. So I said, when Saban left and Kaylen de Bor took over, I said, that's the greatest handoff in the history of college football. Generally, you give it to somebody on the staff because that's what the players want. It doesn't work where you bring in somebody and the culture doesn't work. He's just a winning guy and Kaylen de boor Sioux falls, Fresno State, but Washington he was twenty five and three people assumed, well, it's Bama. He didn't have to rebuild anything. I said, no, the time out. Now it's a whole different ballgame. This is Bama nil. That's a whole different ballgame. Secondly, he is different than Nick and there's going to be things he likes coordinators he does doesn't. I'm like he was almost punished because everybody thought Nick handed him a Rolls Royce and I'm like, no, he handed him A used Rolls Royce. It wasn't as dominant as it was two years earlier. Georgia now had as good or better players, and the nil world had changed. Texas now could just buy players. So if you watch Bama and you watch Kaylin de boor with quarterbacks, I think Ohio State's the best team I've seen. I think Bama's too. I think Bama is the second best team in the country. I don't think Indiana quite has the personnel, and M's beaten a lot of teams that fire their coaches, so I'm not quite sure I buy that. Yet they haven't played like Ole, Miss, Oklahoma, Georgia, Bama. What do you make of Kaylin de boor the doubters, the critics, and where they are.
Speaker 1: I mean, a lot of the doubt and the criticism was just folks wanting Alabama to fall off. It's been a long time since you could really take reasonable shots at Alabama up in the South. So, like, I know the vibe about Alabama around the South. So there's some of it where people are kind of wishcasting they're hoping that they're right about doubting Kaylin to bore. And then there was another crowd that just flat out you know, thought that he took, like you said, a seamless baton handoff and it should be full stride in any kind of fall off, any kind of looking at the clock and oah, we're off pace a little bit. That indicates that he's an impost. And then you get to backfill with all these pre cooked theories people have in the South about how well, if you're not from here, you can't recruit here, and how's he going to recruit at Alabama? And he didn't know this place, he didn't know the culture. So you know, the same stuff they said about Brian Kelly ended up being valid, not because he wasn't from the South, it's because he didn't work to the degree you need to work at ls. So the thing about Kaylan is the style he won with at Washington's what you need to pay the most attention to the twenty twenty three Washington season. What they have like seven to one possession wins or something like that. So they were winning a bunch of close games, but there's so much there's some randomized nature to that. But when you get a big sample size of one possession games and you're that good in one possession games. There's more than just luck to that that skill Bama had been used to win in forty two to ten, and so he's come down here and even in the games where they're winning, it's a lot of what he did at Washington. It's one possession games, and it aggravates people so much because they want to run for two hundred and fifty yards and they can't run the ball this year, and yet they're still scaling their offense despite not being able to run the ball, which I think is the biggest feather in the cap of ty Simpson. Mendoza's doing it with a ground game, Julian's doing it with a ground game. Bama can't run, and Ty Simpson still does it. That's all I would say about him if I were promoting him for the Heisman. But deboor year one in that building this week, Colin a year ago, they were in the thick of the playoff race, They're going to go to Oklahoma. They get their doors blown off, blown off, and that was really when the ant bed got kicked. That's really when all the rumors started filling out. That's when all the you know, the truth started getting dealt because they didn't feel like they had anything left to play for. So you start hearing some grumbling and you start really finding out how oil and water that building had been. Some of the old guards, some of the new guard. And he walked in, and I want to remind everyone he walked in the weirdest possible time, maybe in the recent history of college athletics, because he takes the job. Saban retires and it was weird, like an early January kind of thing. So he takes the job, and the portal opens for thirty days, but they can't take They can only lose for thirty days, that's right, and then you patch it up as best you can't. Julian saying, was there by the way he leaves? Caleb Downs was there? He leaves? Well, then you go through spring ball, and I remember talking to him about this after it happened, and he didn't make any excuses. I was almost trying to make excuses for him. But it was a situation where you had to run your spring practice knowing that after ball, when you really want to get down guys throats and you want to try and install as much culture as you can, they could just leave. There's a post spring portal window and they could bail on you. These aren't your players, you didn't recruit them. How are you going to have a roster going into the season. So they had to kid glove their way through spring ball a little bit. And even then, like you get to the fall and you're kind of you're trying to build the plane in the air, and it used to be a nice plane, and so no one's going to accept any kind of turbulence up there. And that Oklahoma game is where it really came undone a little bit, and that's where you really started hearing it. So it's so crazy to fast forward a year from now. It just so happens to be they're in the thick of it again. Oklahoma's coming in again. I'm interested that you said you like Bama because a lot of people like Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: This week.
Speaker 1: I love Bama this week. I'm interested in why it is you like Bama because I got one reason.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess my take is, I think I think the offensive coaching at Bama. I tend to believe that offensive coaches are tinkers. So I think Deborr and his coordinator, you know, like when they went to Georgia, you're like, oh, that's a that's a perfect game plan. I think defensive coaches venables tend to have this is what we are, and we're just gonna be more forceful. I tend to think with defensive teams, you often get what you get, and you get it by like week four. I think offensive coaches Ryan Day is a great example. Last year. God, you watched the Michigan game, then a week later you watch Tennessee and then a week later you watch Oregon. You're like, oh shit, they didn't peak until the second week of the playoff. They're tinkers. Chip Kelly was always that, he was always tinkering. So I tend to think Alabama is just getting better. They're just every week. I feel like they're two possessions better, whereas I feel kind of like, I know what Oklahoma is. I've seen the best of Oklahoma. That's very good, but I think zero ten being the best one on being not good. I think Alabama is about a seven. I think they're going to get to about an eight and a half. Now Ohio State's a nine and they may just stay there. But it's why I think Bama's the second best team in the country. I think they've got a tinker as a coach. I watched them at I watched them at Washington. Just manipulate, Tinker improve Anyway, That's my take is that I think four weeks ago I may have felt differently. I think the offensive coach over the defensive culture.
Speaker 1: I like Bama, So I'm with you. They are beating people on Saturday a lot, staff wise, like they are. They got one of the best stats in the country offensively, especially, So's here's what's interesting about that. If you watch the LSU game last week, they're coming out of a by theoretically, you should just be shot out of a cannon. We're ready to peak in November they won twenty to nine. I think it was if you watch the game, you saw how much meat was left on the bone. Offensively, you saw how much like just off the fingertips type explosive passes they missed on, And I think that is part one of the separation. Saturday. You just you focus on precision and accuracy all week after a game like that, and then number two, Oklahoma's real hallmark is they can shut you down running the ball. I'd almost feel more uncomfortable for Alabama if part of their offense was built on the ground game. They already don't do anything on the ground. Lesser teams have shut them down running the ball. So what Oklahoma's built to take away you can't take away from Bama because they already don't do it. And yet they still scale their passing game anyway. And the two other offenses that they've seen that can do through the air what bamacam or Ole Miss and Tennessee and I think one of them through for three nineteen and the other one through for three to eighty or something like that against them. So it's going to be a real high profile game. It'll be a good fight. I think Alabama's going to have one in the thing by double digits in the end.
Speaker 3: So Lane Kiffen, I've known Lane for a long time and I think Lane's smart. I think he's again gotten better and better. I made this argument is that you can bounce around ole Miss LSU. You can bounce around They're all I mean these guys these days. If ole Miss can pay ten, LSU pays eleven, there's less pressure at ol Miss. I'd stay. I'd stay Ole Miss. It's Oxford's beautiful that I said. I think actually he could be an NFL coach and like Harball, he'd walk into the sport for the first three years. He knows all these players way better than your GM does. Also, like a Miami to because of the contractual situation, is going to be your quarterback for a year, but you probably got to draft your next quarterback. And most of these guys are second round quarterbacks. Well, he knows nuss Meyer, and he knows Simpson. He knows all these guys. South Carolina kid, he knows all of them. So by the second round, nobody's going to know those quarterbacks better than Lane Kiffin. Either recruited him, played them, played against him. Do you think Lane Kiffin do you think he's considering the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he is. I think several of them are. I think there's some names considering the NFL that would totally completely put jaws on the ground if the names ever got public. I think these guys are always considering the NFL. Now, you'd never get the truth out of most of them, but yeah, I mean, look, you know the kind of mentality it takes to succeed at the highest level of college football, especially if you specialize on a side of the ball goes hand in hand with the kind of mentality that thinks I could win in the NFL. I could win on Sundays. I want to test myself against the best. I want to see how my offense does. And especially with Lane, like you've got the Oakland Raiders chapter in his past, you don't think he wants to make good on that. Yeah, I'm a believer. I'm a believer. Saban never did it. I'm a believer he wanted to make good on the Miami Dolphins part. Didn't like all of the other extracurricular that comes along with the NFL relative to college. But yeah, I think he would consider it. I think they actively consider it all the time. What I don't know, and I think this is really what the decision comes down to, is what do you personally value the most beyond football. Like some guys hate recruiting, they're looking at the first exit door to get to the NFL. Right, Others they think it's their wheelhouse. They think that's one of their strongest suits. They actually love being around young people. I will never forget when I was coming out of college down in Columbus and I heard you talking about Parcels one day and you described him as a meatball with arms. That is what stuck with me. That is what NFL coaches look like relative to college coaches, because you're around adults all day instead of younger adults. So past that, yeah, I think he is considering it.
Speaker 3: You know, let me throw this at you. I had a really smart guy tell me this, a current college coach, and he was talking about ole Miss and the limitations. He said, offensive recruits will follow the coach. Right, They'll follow Sark Lane Kaitlin to offensive players. They want to know who the coach is, what the system is. Great defensive players. They want to go to Georgia, Texas, LSU. Not about scheme. I want to get taken care of. I want nil check. I got to play in the trenches. That's the limitation of ole Miss. When I asked somebody about Old Miss, they said, Lane's always gonna get offensive guys. He go. Offensive guys follow the coach. Defensive guys don't. He's never gonna have Georgia's defensive personnel. He never gonna have Bamas. He's never gonna have Ohio States defensive guys go to the big schools. You see all sorts of great offenses in the history at college football. You can go to Hawaii, you go to BYU, you can go Indiana and see a lot of the top ten college defensive all time. There's a lot of Georgia, Bama, LSU, Michigan. And so this coach said, Lane knows he's limited. When he faces the big dogs in the SEC, he'll have to upscore him. They're not stopping them. And so that's just something that's something to think about. I thought it was very very wise.
Speaker 1: I think it's been taken into consideration. And when you do your pros and cons, there's not going to be a clean list under the cons for any of these jobs, right, so it all missed. That's what you have to ask. But then what if you're Lane Kiffin, you have to ask, all right, but what state do I reside in? I reside in Mississippi. The one thing that you're gonna say about Mississippi is it pumps out NFL front future NFL front defensive talent every year. Now, historically they've gone to other schools, but that's why it's been case by case a nightmare to play Mississippi state role. Miss in certain given years because they're just freak shows out of Scuba and Philadelphia and Columbus and you've never heard of those places Yazoo City, Mississippi. But they got future first round NFL draft picks coming out of there. I would think to myself, Man, if I can keep enough of those guys home, I'm gonna get the offensive guys. But like you're right that that is the case. If I'm representing him and selfishly, I want him at LSU or I want him at Florida. I want him at Florida because I'm saying, dude, they've got the track record of offense like you want Spurrier even when Urban was there. The difference is you can get the defensive talent down there as well. That's what i'd sell him on. Yes, Sark told me this when he was at Washington.
Speaker 3: He said, we I can get first round receivers and tight ends and quarterbacks at Washington. It's defensive tackles. You can't get him in the Northwest. We just don't. We may have one every other year who's an elite defensive tackle, and so you know that's why, you know, I just think it's a reality of even in southern California as great as that state is right now, USC, if you look at their interior d line recruiting, there's Texas, there's an Oklahoma kid, there's a Texas kid, there's a Minnesota kid, and not a lot of LA kids on that defensive front. Now, Lemon the receiver lanes from Arizona. You know, may Ava, they got in Vegas, a running back walk gone from Calabasas. USC's offensive talent, you know, it's a lot of LA kids and West Coast kids. But no, I think Lane's a great example of the willingness to evolve as a human being. I think Lane today is just a much better human being. Not that I know him that well, but there were a lot of people out on Lane and he went small school one, and I think Nick Saban deserves a lot of credit. You know, Saban took a beat up Lane and a beat up Sark. I mean, I tell you a lot about Nick Saban. Those guys were not They had lost a lot of glare in college sports.
Speaker 1: I think. I mean that twenty fifteen teen he had alone just doing a deep dive on that staff alone, pretty unbelievable at Alabama, that Saban had, But I mean, I remember when Lane was at Alabama, I remember when Sark had gotten to Alabama, and you're hearing the stories behind the scenes and thinking to yourself. I mean, like one of the greatest magician tricks that I thought about Nick Saban when I first came to sort of see behind the curtain is everyone watched them and they're this machine and they're winning, and so you think, oh, they're free of all the crap that everyone else has to deal with, and then you find out there's tons of infighting there. All of these coaches are alphas, all of these coaches are type a's, and he's just it's like herding cats, and he somehow did it. But to do what he did for Lane Slash with Lane, to do the same thing for Slash with Sark, that's pretty unbelievable. But the other part of that is, at some point, it don't matter how much someone else is trying to help you if you don't want to help yourself. So yeah, a ton of credit to Nick Saban. Absolutely, It's not like Kiffin's having to rediscover himself at publics like he is. He is coaching major college football. But at some point you got to look in the mirror and realize I'm a full grown adult, like it's up to me, and thankfully he did that.
Speaker 3: M