Speaker 1: Welcome into the Raves Press Past podcast. It is Tuesday, May twenty eighth, and the Raves had another open session of organized team activities today. After practice. We had a chance to hear from tight End Mark Andrews.
Speaker 2: Mark the between minutes of fan with years of the point of the situation and you kind of coming out of nowhere to.
Speaker 3: Help with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was on my way back from you know, after the season, going back to Arizona, and it's a scary moment, you know, when someone in front of you is you know, kind of going unconscious, and you know, but the really cool thing about you know that that situation scenario is to see all the people that come together. You know that the doctors and nurses on the plane and the flight attendants did an incredible job, you know of really helping someone you know and you don't know if it's a near death experience and you know, me just you know obviously being a Type one diabetic, you know, lending my tester kit and she was fine. But you know, really a big ops to everyone around that, the doctors, the nurses and the flight attendants that we were on their a game.
Speaker 4: Did you ever connect with the the individual.
Speaker 5: No, No, I haven't heard anything about it. You know, that's that's kind of her her deal. You know, I know what it's like, you know, to have scary things happen, and so you know, just giving her her space and her privacy is you know, is what I'm thinking about.
Speaker 4: Mark, what kind of wrinkles through your saying?
Speaker 3: Utads Efen Now in year.
Speaker 5: Two, Yeah, it's been fun, you know, just coming back and and seeing just the the little nuances in the direction of of what we're trying to do, change up keep defenses. Honest, I think we have some really cool and dangerous things that he's implementing. It's very much you know, we're gonna see the offer, We're gonna see the defense make a good call and and make it right. And that's that's what you want to be able to do, is getting to the right call and and have your.
Speaker 4: Guys fly around.
Speaker 5: So we got a lot of great players, great receivers, great tight ends, and quarterback is is second to none. So it looks really good right now.
Speaker 6: You for the possibility of the way that you and Isaiah can have the field together kind of challenge uh, challenge defense problems all that.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be special. You know, when you have two guys like that that are dynamic mismatches, you know, all over the field, doesn't matter where you put us. That's tough, tough to game plan for. And you know, both guys that love to play ball, love to compete, and yeah, it's gonna be fun, you know. And really our whole tight end room is is is special right now, and I'm excited about that. We're just trying to grow get better each and every day and very thankful to have a tight end group that we have and continue to get better. So it'll be fun to see what we're used.
Speaker 2: How good do you think they Isaiah or whoever it is that's out there has to be a run blow They get the kind of that you guys.
Speaker 5: Plus, that's part of being a tight end is doing everything you got to keep be able to keep the defense honest and you want to come on the field. It's not just you know, he's they're passing the ball. That's something that you know, I had to learn very early on in my careers. You know, be able to put your hand down, get dirty, and it just makes it tough on a defensive game plan for and every guy in our room is able to do that, So that's awesome.
Speaker 4: We know you came back.
Speaker 5: Probably there are other people you did dad affect your off season preparation at all or once you've started moving up, you were kind of good to do everything you're willing to do at that time. Yeah, there was still you know, some things I was probably battling through, you know, that time of year, and obviously wasn't you know, full one hundred percent in that game. But you know, worked really hard to get to that point, and uh, it set me up for a really good off season to work hard. I've been running a ton of routes, NonStop routes, you know, if my family working out, and I feel really good right now. I feel fast, explosive, and but yeah, I think it set me up for a really good off season.
Speaker 3: It's just your mentality going into the season. You know, you work so hard to come back and got cut short. Just going into the season. What's kind of your mentality after what you went through last year?
Speaker 5: Just hungry, you know, it's a it's tough to be around for the last six years and you know, play almost every snap every game and really haven't missed much and then you know, have that happen and have the type of team that we've had last year and probably you know, playing the biggest games that we've ever played in and not be able to play in those games. And you know that's tough to look at, you know, especially for me. You know, guys, I've been here for a long time, and so I'm hungry. I'm excited and very motivated to continue to help this team win games, be there for the guys, stay healthy, you know, God willing, and keep it going.
Speaker 7: But there's a there's a report today from NFL Network saying the Players Association is basically putting together a proposal to do away with the voluntary portion of the off season and make training camp start kind of mid June early July. Your thoughts, what do you think about how the off season is right now?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't really mind it.
Speaker 5: You know, I think this is a good time period of guys coming back here, you know, working. You know, you get you're able to, you know, get with the team, get the plays in, and then you get that you know, extra breakof which is kind of nice for your body, It's kind of nice for everything, just getting your head back right but I don't know the right answer to that. It could be both. I haven't done it the other way, you know. For the NFL P, I just you know, asked that. You know, they ask everybody in the league. They ask all the guys and they make sure that's kind of consensus that that that guys would want to do that, because you know, I really don't have a problem with about set up right now.
Speaker 4: One of the biggest editions Derrick Henry. How do you think he kind of fits in with this offense?
Speaker 5: It's awesome. You know, you got you got Dereck Henry. That's a huge addition for us. And you know we have Lamar Jackson, we got Derrick Henry.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: For the defense, it's like, you know, all eyes on them. You know, there's those are two elite players at their position and that's a scary thing. So for us, you know, everybody else around them, it's it's making plays and making it tougher on the defense and using them to to get open to make plays and do those two together.
Speaker 4: It's going to be dynamic.
Speaker 8: Would you look at a guy like Rashott Badman who's sort of showed every component that you need to be a high level NFL pass catcher in three years he's been here, hasn't missially all come together for him on a week to week basis. Yet, what do you think it will take for that to.
Speaker 4: Happen this year? I think it's happening right now. You know.
Speaker 5: I think he looks incredible. You know everything, you know his route running is, you know, catching the ball and bening where he's supposed to be. You know, he's got it down to a science. I know he's worked real hard, but you know he looks about put together as he's ever been. So it's gonna be a big year for a shot. Baby, I'm calling it now, Mark.
Speaker 8: I know a lot of players when they can you know, it's been in the league for this long and interming off seasons they change up things.
Speaker 4: But have you changed that anything this year? Maybe different than the previous off seasons.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a little different. You know, I had to you know, really I've always worked hard, but really dial it in and obviously dealing with the ankle was you know, something I had to focus on. And you know something sometimes you know, something like that is a blessing in his guys. You know, Uh, you don't really know what's around the corner. But having to go through, you know, that adversity is you know, allowed me to really put the work in, you know, see things for what they are, and you know, I think I've come out better for it.
Speaker 9: I don't know a lot of chance just to talk about two kind of sets here Alltimore, because what you see a shantages and help your two kind of information likely on the same field posession too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you see it.
Speaker 5: You know, all across the NFL, the tight end position is growing and growing. These are guys that are you know, some of the best athletes on the field, being big, tall, strong, able to go get get passes, and you know, I love what we're able to do. I think that we're gonna continue to grow that obviously, me like and and everybody else. But it's gonna be fun. It's gonna be fun to be able to play play around, game plan for that and and just play some football. Obviously, we've got Lamar Jackson and and he likes his tight end, so we're gonna we're gonna be open for him.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think John said a couple months ago to Charlie was up to like twitter seven pounds or something.
Speaker 9: What do you have seen him?
Speaker 2: A mansion with his body transformation of what do you expect?
Speaker 5: He's working hard, He's focused, and you know, the big thing about Charlie is, you know, he just wants to do everything. He wants to be great at everything. And you know, he loves blocking, he loves hitting people, and he loves being universatile. He still catch the hell of ball, still catch you know, you can still run incredible routes. And you know he's an all round tight end. He's gonna be big for us as well.
Speaker 10: Uh how did you feel about the change in the wounds and the tackle that injury.
Speaker 5: To Yeah, I think it's you know, it's just some sometimes part of the game. I'm always an advocate for, you know, making the game safer. You know, you look at the last maybe five, you know, five years has been a lot of big injuries with that, and so just being bringing the awareness to that type of tackle. I think it's good. Keeping guys healthy is gonna be great. You know, take that tackle out of the game is is not a bad thing.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 5: I think the defenses can find a way to get around that.
Speaker 1: We also had a chance to talk with the other title, Isaiah Likely, who had a big season last year. Isaiah and Mark are really fired up about taking the field together this season, and Likely talked about that today.
Speaker 4: Your football camps, good Man.
Speaker 11: I had a couple of you know, the guys, Papa, I have my obviously my people back home Mike Samus to all my friends from back home in high school. And I had a Leak and Ac pop out from Baltimore. It was definitely a fun time.
Speaker 7: I say, what did last year do you for you?
Speaker 3: What did you prove to yourself with the way that you really kind of came on last year?
Speaker 11: I say a confidence boost. I mean it definitely showed me that, you know, the game is definitely speeding slowing down, and you know, the all the off season, all the work out preparation I put in during the year, and you know, leaning up to the point was definitely a time to pay off.
Speaker 10: What kind of.
Speaker 6: Stress can you can you guys put on the defense with you and Mark Andrews you know on the field or you know, he came back at the end of the year, but it was you, it was late the two you guys out there together.
Speaker 11: I say, you know Mark's Mark's name holds a lot of weight. I mean, he's all pro, He's definitely the best in the league at what he does. And then not only do you have to worry about him, you have to worry about Bating's a outside with our receivers as well as Nelly, and then you still have Lamar and Derek Henry in the backfield, so those people need no recognition. And then you know, finding my way and the offense is a chess piece, just seeing where I could fit in and then having all so on the same on the same field at the same time. I mean, you don't know whether it's gonna be run or passed, and you'll know where the explosive play can come from.
Speaker 3: What was the thing you work on in the all season to make yourself the best player this season?
Speaker 11: I really just say top of the route was definitely a main emphasis, just watching film from last year, just you know, when I got fatigued just watching working on the top of route, working on inline blocking a little bit more, and then obviously perimeter blocking a lot, you know, progressed as the season went on, and then really just you know, just chemistry, not only with Mark and lamar, but also with the receivers is making sure everybody's on the same page.
Speaker 8: When you said about Mark Andrews and you know, his name carrying a lot of weight now a by playing that same position, what do you pick up the most just when maybe you're not on the field and you get.
Speaker 4: To watch out.
Speaker 11: Uh, really, his charisma, I mean Mark's energy, the way he plays football on Sundays is the same way he plays that practice. So I say, you know, just watching the little details he does that practice where it's individual on air, team period or seven on seven, and then really just watching his preparation game, how he prepares for you know, that opponent on Sunday whenever we play, and watching how he goes out and attacks different defenders with different leverages and then just always wins. That's something you know. I always ask Mark whether he went won or lost a rep. I tell him what he saw and how he went to how he you know, came up with the assumption why he took that rep. Because most times it's not Mark's gonna win, So just do it from there.
Speaker 3: In the tight end rooms, do you compare yourself against other tight end rooms? Is there any chatter about being the best tight end group in the NFL.
Speaker 11: I mean, I don't really like to compare. I mean, everybody in the league knows, you know, our tight end room, what we do, what we bring to you know, on the field every Sunday. So I let them just do what they do. And then I mean, if they like to compare, obviously, I'm gonna tell them we the best all thirty two consider part of that tight end run for sure. I mean past that, you know that Swiss army knife. I mean, Pat is the best blocking person. I feel like in the leagues that sixth offensive linemen and last year Pat had at the time the longest run after catch against Detroit. I'm pretty sure where he kind of screwinged well a check down. It went for thirty eight yards, hit a little spin move at the end. So at the time, you know, that was like one of the longest plays that we had that Here.
Speaker 8: You're in those multiple tight end sets, especially with two guys who can catch the ball. Does it take a little time though to figure out how to play off of each other? I mean, is that a different art than being good individually.
Speaker 11: I'd really just say, you know, the preparation for that is now. I mean, you know, always being in the same room as marked. That's definitely you know, a bonus on just being able to say on film, you know when you slow everything down, like what'd you see here? Or why'd you slow this? Why do you take this type of release, so I could focus on why or release I'm gonna take, and then just playing off for each other and making everything, you know, look different but in the same criteria. So I say yes and no for the simple fact that you know, everybody's FOOTBA.
Speaker 4: Player the in the day.
Speaker 11: I mean, our job is to play football, you know, since you were a little kid right now. So it's just really just having fun and be able to just play off of each other, to always be just be open.
Speaker 3: What are your year three objectives?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 11: I mean big picture wise, to always have fun. I mean I preach myself to always have fun you know, at practice in games because that I mean, like I said, now, everybody gets to do this every day, play the sport they loved since they was a little kids. So a big, you know goal I always have is to have fun and remember why I do this, and obviously the ultimate goal is to win. I mean, whether I have no targets, whether I have the most targets that game. The main emphasis that game is to win, and whatever I could do in that game in that moment to you know, come out with the victory to get to ultimate goal, winning super Bowl, I'll do it.
Speaker 12: That.
Speaker 9: What have you seen out of Trent Simpson, the guy that lines up against you with times throughout this practices and stuff.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I'm gonna give him a little little credit today. He definitely beat me on the rep today. I know, y'all seen it. I really like you, I really like losing a lot. But he definitely, you know, he's showing, you know that he's right for the opportunity. I mean, he's showing that he definitely took this offseason. He's taking this offseason, you know, well like a pro. He's definitely showing that. You know, what you guys seen on tape against Pittsburgh wasn't a fluke. He's fast, he's physical, he's listening, and he's really just you know, soaking everything up like a sponge. I mean, whatever Rokwan tells him to do during the play or anybody even coach, he's taking that and running with it. And he's not you know, scared to do anything in the defense from last year to this one, Oh for sure. I Mean he definitely looks bigger and stronger than last year. And he's definitely playing with a lot more you know, instinctive, not really you know, being as patient as he was last year. He's playing with you know, his athleticism, his intuition.
Speaker 8: He used to see twenty three.
Speaker 11: Uh, I'm as used to seeing twenty three as I am on zero on rod So.
Speaker 1: Whyd sheiver ver Shad Bateman has been a big topic this offseason, the team reaching extension with him. Just before the draft. He talked about that new contract. I think this motivation going into this year.
Speaker 5: Shot Mark just said it, John Harbaugh said, Eric to Costa said it that your prime have a really big year.
Speaker 4: What in your mind.
Speaker 5: Puts you in such a good position heading into.
Speaker 4: You know, training camp.
Speaker 10: I just think, you know, having a full off season, being able to be here with the team, Uh, being able to practice, you know, just be able to get that chemistry down there. Uh, it's important for me. So I'm definitely looking forward to that. I don't know what's gonna happen this year, So all I know is i'm'a just I'm gonna go to work every day. I'm not looking to do anything. I'm just you know, go do My thing?
Speaker 4: Was this offseason where I don't think you had to rehab any.
Speaker 5: Like big injury?
Speaker 4: Was that almost? How freeing was that for you? That you could just kind of focus on doing this?
Speaker 10: It's definitely been good.
Speaker 4: It's a blessing.
Speaker 10: I haven't I haven't had that since I've been uh in the league. So just been able to focus, chill, work, grind, you know, it's all been good. So uh, just being able to you know, stay healthy, that's my manushurn up.
Speaker 3: So I name of you sent you did?
Speaker 2: Why did that feel like the regular friends?
Speaker 10: Because for one, I didn't know what was gonna happen with me. I didn't know if I was gonna be here, you know, traded, uh or anything.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 10: So, you know, distinction definitely came out of nowhere. Blessed for sure. I did not see them doing that. But it shows that they believe in me. Uh believe in my work, you know my ethic. You know, the team believes in me. So it was a no brainer. You know, I love playing here, I love his organization. I love the fans, so you know, I feel like I still got a lot to do. So it was a no brainer for me for sure.
Speaker 4: So did you have anyiety traded or what you talk about that?
Speaker 10: I s I barely know how this g NFL's business stuff work.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 10: I swear, I'm just i'm'a play football.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 10: Whatever team I'm own, that's what team I'm owned. But right now I'm part of the Ravens. They drafted me, you know, and I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 1: What what would you say?
Speaker 6: You know, Ky was your focus from a training standpoint?
Speaker 4: You know th this all season?
Speaker 13: H How did you attack that?
Speaker 4: You know process.
Speaker 10: Like anybody else? Would you know? Just going to work every single day. Uh, I'm not really looking to do anything special, uh particular. The only thing I could do is control. But I can control and that's you know, my work ethic. Uh every single day, you know, this off season, I've been grinding a day in and day out. You know, hopefully that uh the opportunity comes where I can, like sh put that on on on tape.
Speaker 4: Help Sota do you for?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 6: The second year of his offense.
Speaker 10: Under type of con very side, I think last year we showed a lot of you know, uh hope, you know, I feel like we did a lot of good things, you know with him and just year one, so you know, I definitely feel like we got a lot of room, you know, to grow. We just gotta locking on all details, you know, see where it takes us.
Speaker 12: Oh Christ saying that she has at leading up on top of the spectral. Do you thinks you have shared a lot of your potential?
Speaker 8: That's just the ball that land in your hands.
Speaker 12: Say, it's in your own self evaluation.
Speaker 1: Where are you at?
Speaker 12: What were you show last year?
Speaker 10: Did it feel like that kind of I said again, did it.
Speaker 12: Feel like you showed everything that you showed it was just simply a matter of the ball and not getting in your hands?
Speaker 10: Yes and no, Yes and no. I feel like there's definitely a lot of things that I could have done differently as a receiver, you know, to help Lamar, to help the team. But yeah, uh yeah, I'll just leave leave it at that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Risha, what.
Speaker 3: What is the feeling for you now being back in that position where you know you're gonna see a lot of targets, You're gonna be a a primary part of this offensive primary focus, you know, to come back around after dealt with the injuries and now be in that that spotlight again.
Speaker 4: What's the feeling for you.
Speaker 10: I'm just blessed to be healthy. I'm not looking. I'm not worried about how many balls I get, not worry about Top Muckin called the the play for me.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 10: The only thing I can control, man, is it's what I control. Uh, and that's you know, getting open, you know when I can, uh, blocking when I can. I don't play quarterback. I'm not the ol see, I'm not the line. So anything else outside of that, I'm just here. You know what I'm saying. I'm'na help this team out the best way passile. But other than that, you know, maybe that's a question for them or shout out.
Speaker 2: After going through college and not getting hurt, I mean, I think you talked a couple of times about how you didn't get seriously injured until you got to Baltimore. With their point, you kind of had to get over like like a A whatloe.
Speaker 4: Was you approach?
Speaker 2: I mean, you did that ever kind of enter your brain like why as it's happening?
Speaker 10: For sure, because I mean I've always taken care of my body being in college and being here. I'm still unsure what the difference is, but I just think it was the cars I got dealt. You know, sometimes in life you gotta go through certain things. Uh, Different people, you know, get different cars, and I feel like those were, you know, my cards that I got dealt. It's helped me in ways that you know, maybe I didn't know that I needed. And I'm thankful for that, you know, to be here today, to be able to go through that, it can and I can sit here and say that I'm proud that I went through that. There was a time and place where I didn't like it. You know, Uh, it was a it was a dark time and bad time just because you know, I never been through anything like that, but you know, it was all unexperience. It helped me with today, So I'm all good. Appreciate you asking. Sorry.
Speaker 6: You talked about how with a contract extension that that brought like some some clarity.
Speaker 4: How did how did that?
Speaker 6: How does that clarity help you? You know, as you used you mentioned deal with something certainy, how does that clarity help you going into for share.
Speaker 10: It's like if you have a if you don't have a house, or you have a house. Now you got a house to let your head. Now I got a house to lay my head. So that concern, you know, is gone. I know who I'm planning for, I know where playbook come in, I know who my quarterback is, you know, and now it allows me to just go be myself freely.
Speaker 7: Obviously, the uh Guardian caps out there, and I I think therefore, why's gonna be mandated?
Speaker 10: I think the training?
Speaker 4: Can I believe what's kind of your feelings on them? And do you think you would ever consider wearing them for games?
Speaker 10: I'm not wearing that in a game. I'm not wearing a game, but I have to practice about y'all will not ever see me wearing that in the game. So now, w W why you have spiritual feelings?
Speaker 4: Wh Why is that?
Speaker 10: It messes up everybody's swag on the field, you know, like is is? It's the worst, and I don't think that it'll as much. So, I mean, we're not hitting out here. I don't even know if it's really helping the game because I mean, everybody's playing fast. It's a contact sport. Whatever happens out there, that happens. So I guess we'll see.
Speaker 8: Yeah, who talks about how at this point you and Zay are kind of the guys in the room up to set examples and be the model about how to be a pro.
Speaker 4: Do you do you like that?
Speaker 8: Do you like being in that position?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Because I feel like if you just stay true to yourself, everything just happened naturally. Uh, nothing about me is gonna change. I'm not gonna uh speak up more or do this more. I'm gonna just continue to you know, come in the building. You know I come here early. The guys know that I'm always here early. I work hard. You know, I write my notes. You know how I carry myself throughout the building.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: Hopefully that shows, you know, to the younger guys and you know whoever else catches on to it. But y'all not gonna change anything. I'm'a continue to be myself.
Speaker 1: We also had a chance today to hear from wide receivers coach Greg Lewis that like the group is coming along here ever we saw a team practices.
Speaker 4: I think the group is coming along real well.
Speaker 13: Uh, A lot of good camaraderie with what the guys, the young guys are blending in the older guys are bringing guys along.
Speaker 4: Uh it's a good group.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 13: They all wanna be learners and understand what's going on and then come out here and try to execute at a high level each and every day.
Speaker 9: Reco I'm talking about it said by s Week that he needs a superter job getting the shot fishing for despite what his numbers finished up with a lot of strikes that.
Speaker 4: You see from your job last year.
Speaker 13: Uh Bait comes to work every day and and and does a hell of a job with getting in out of breaks, doing the things that are asked of him. Whatever we ask of him. He's willing and able to to get it done. And obviously the ball didn't find him as much last year. Uh we still coming back, and who's to say the ball's gonna find him this year. But he's gonna be coming to work each and every day and trying to get better. And that's what we all trying to do to win games. So whatever it takes for us to win, Uh, Bait and all the guys are willing to do that. And when his number is called, as you saw today, he's making great plays for us.
Speaker 3: How big deal do you think of this?
Speaker 8: And he had a he had a pretty much a healthy season last year, and then he's having a healthy offseason at least to this point. How big a deal would that be to have that long, clean rampof through a season health.
Speaker 4: There's always a big thing with just playing this sport.
Speaker 13: The more you out there, the more opportunity you got to get better and continue to thrive in those situations. So having Bait out here all last year and moving forward this season has been tremendous for him and as us as an offense, just having that different aspect that he brings to the to the group out there, and then just getting opportunities and taking advantage of those when he gets those chances.
Speaker 7: When you get to your receiver's fourth year, you kind of know what you have already, right, But in Rashad's case, how much kind of untapped potential is there you think still to come from him going forward.
Speaker 13: I wouldn't say it's untapped potential. The ball just hasn't found him in situations. He comes out here every day and shows what he's capable of doing, whether it's practice, and then when he gets opportunities in the game he does that. It's just about more and more opportunities and then more and more production will come from And I think he's doing a great job with with what we're giving him and what we're giving everybody to try to take advantage of the best of his ability.
Speaker 3: What do you want to see from Zay Flowers in year two?
Speaker 4: Just growth, growth all around as a leader.
Speaker 13: He's doing a great job of taking some of the younger guys and showing him the ropes. Obviously he went through it last year, uh, and just cleaning up little small details of route running technique, staying staying in treatment, and doing all the little things that help you be able to have a long career and get better. So he's doing all the little things and then it's showing up out here at practice and it's gonna show up in game situations.
Speaker 2: You've worked with some wide receivers of have that Alpha wide receiver one wave attached them with, say, are there is there stuff that he's done that is reminiscent of that? Or is there stuff that you know you are kind of trying to push it toward.
Speaker 4: That to the I'm not a big guy push guys to to anything.
Speaker 13: I want them to beat themselves and whatever that is or whoever they are. I just want to accentuate that and build off that. And I think we got a group of guys that all want to get better, all want to do the little things and push each other.
Speaker 4: So it's not a one.
Speaker 13: Guy show, or it's a Za Flower show or a Bateman show or any of that. It's just everybody is coming out here to work and get better each and every day. And I think they bought into that. It's a team effort and we need everybody. So just having each other to push each other and to get better each and every day has been remarkable.
Speaker 10: You see him having justice in the field game.
Speaker 13: He's a sponge. He wants to know everything and he's doing a great job with that. You see his length and his speed out there on the field and making big body catches can test the catches, but then he could take the top off coverages. And he's doing a great job as far as the offense is concerned. Learning and understanding what we're trying to do is different from what he did in college, and it's a lot of nuances and he's picking He's picking them up seamlessly. So I'm excited where he's at now and where he can go in the future.
Speaker 6: Hunting college quarterback house the transition for him and what do you see it from him in this process.
Speaker 13: Malika is a football player and he loves the game and he wants to find any way he can to get out on the field. And if it's at receiver, it's a quarterbacks, at running back, is that d line. He's out there trying to trying to get it done. And he's done a great job of transitioning from the quarterback position to the receiver position. Working with Zay and Sean Ryan and Bait. They bringing him along and teaching them the nuances of playing receiver. But he understands spatial awareness. He understands that from the quarterbacks perspective, so obviously he understands zone coverage. And now it's just getting him to do the little things as receivers do it because he hasn't done it a bunch.
Speaker 8: You what's the hardest part about learning to be a receiver on the fly, even when you are athlete.
Speaker 13: Uh, it's just a lot of being on the same page with the quarterback and understanding different leverages of defensive backs. And until you're in that situation, you don't know. But Malika is a great athlete, and he understands how to move around. He he was at quarterback running away from the big dudes, getting away from those guys, so he can maneuver around DB's and linebackers and figure it out. And he's a smart kid. So he's doing a great job from that standpoint. But I would say that's the biggest thing from quarterback to a receiver is just feeling the zones and understanding where you need to be. And he's ahead of the curve because he sat back there as the quarterback throwing it before.
Speaker 4: So right now.
Speaker 12: A couple of.
Speaker 9: Day and the same frus came over let go tem personally for him and then.
Speaker 8: Also said they can push ups and where's that coming from?
Speaker 4: That? Oh? That that's that's all I say. That's all I say.
Speaker 13: He's a character, And obviously we don't want to drop passes at all ever, but nobody's ever called every pass that's been thrown to him in the history of football. We understand that we want to get the push ups and then get back and get the next place. So I think it's it's good that that they's taking that leadership role in and finding ways to get the guys focused on what they need to get done.
Speaker 4: Uh. And the guys are are owning up.
Speaker 13: To it and and and doing what they need to do because I I know they don't want to drop the ball.
Speaker 4: No nobody does. They don't wanna do the wrong thing. Uh.
Speaker 13: And just holding each other accountable. That's a big thing around here.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 13: And really it should be everywhere, but around here accountability and owning what you did and then manning up to it and then going to the next situation.
Speaker 12: About now sitting there beats kind of the order of the perceivers here. What do you wanna see if them play live on and off the field. What stuffs you want to just finished during these days?
Speaker 10: Uh L.
Speaker 13: Like I said, I I I don't want anybody to do anything that they don't feel comfortable with or that's not them. But I I do want they to come out and work each and every day. And what he does in the meeting rooms with the guys when he comes out here, how he practice, that's just a testament to him. And that's showing the guys, uh what to do and how to do it. You don't have to be a raw row guy and do all this stuff it's how you work and how you present yourself as a professional, and Baita is doing a tremendous job with that, and all the guys are so hopefully the young guys are sponges and they soak all this information up and see what's it like to be a professional athlete and go out and execute.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. As always, we post all of our press conferences right here in their entirety. If you want a full breakdown for practice and what the guy has said, also head over to the Lounge podcast feed. We break it all down for you over there. Hit that subscribe button here and on the Lounge feed as well. Thanks for listening and we'll be back with you on Thursday.