Speaker 1: Hey, I do Part two. It's Deanna Pappas jumping in to take over this episode. You might remember me from my time as a bachelorette, but like all of you listeners, I'm now divorced and it's in my chapter two. Today I get to talk with one of my favorite Bachelor Nation alums and my friends. I'm sitting here with Courtney. You may know her from Ben Flannex season. She's the host of the podcast After Reality and the New York Times best selling author of I Didn't come here to make friends. She's in the eye of the storm right now and it's my girl, Courtney Robertson and my good buddy Bob.
Speaker 2: Two of my favorite So guys, thanks for being here. I just said before we hit record the thanks for handling me with care because I'm a little Fregi.
Speaker 1: Le fredgi li Yes, and I am.
Speaker 2: So excited to pick your brains. You know this wasn't on my Bingo card this year, but it just had to happen. You know, I had to file for divorce my birthday was I turned forty three. Dianna, you and I go way, way way back, and you have been kind of coaching me through this for a lot longer than people probably know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's a nice thing. Is like, well, it's not nice. I won't it's not nice.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Divorce is one of the hardest things that I've ever had to walk through, and I did it a little bit before you, And I think that's the gift, is like we get to share our story. I have made it to the other side. And right now, after eight years of marriage, I think it's safe to say that you're you're really in the thick of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's thick.
Speaker 2: Everybody keeps asking me. And it's been so nice to be here and be in nature, but everyone keeps asking me like how are you doing? And you know, I'm sure you went through that too, right, And I also have shared it so publicly, and yeah, that's that's.
Speaker 4: A big part of it.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, the the unfortunate part about where you're at in your life. I mean, you know, I mean when I got divorced, I had the misfortune of it being in the height of a lot of my stuff. It was like us weekly with a rip down the middle, you know, and that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, not to make not to make light of it. Yeah, but I mean I said it before. I said it to you earlier and I met at Courtney. Divorce sucks, even if you want it, even if you're the person who files for it, right if you're the person getting asking for the divorce, the person being told you're getting divorced, no matter what, it's a absolute shell.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It just is.
Speaker 4: There's no other word for it. And it hurts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is no person.
Speaker 2: And you saw me crying earlier today. So if I look puffy, I just had a moment. You're going to have a lot of ways of just like you know, I'm being away from my kids and traveling, and I also deal. I have an amazing life coach, and I have I'm already in therapy and stuff that's great.
Speaker 1: Those are some things that I really wanted to ask you because I survived well, I survived divorce on vodka, which was really bad for everyone involved. I don't do the hard stuff really, I wouldn't well get to I wouldn't suggest it.
Speaker 5: I've been hanging from the chandelier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I didn't have one. But I also had a really great therapist. I had a really great therapist and I have a long list of books in my in my note section of my phone that I read because there was so much of the trauma and grief that I was experiencing. I didn't understand it. And one of my favorite books is The Body Keeps the Score because I didn't understand why things were happening to my body. I was losing my hair even though I wasn't eating, I wasn't sleeping. The lack of sleep will really drive a person absolutely insane.
Speaker 5: It's a real form of torture. Sleep torture.
Speaker 2: I drove, drove, I flew here yesterday and it was a travel day and it was I was I didn't sleep while I haven't been sleeping, while it was a it was a rough day.
Speaker 1: There was something during that period of time that I had to get used to offering myself grace. And I am not very good at that. I am a machine. I get up, I serve everyone around me. I have children, I take care of stuff, I pay bills. I'm a machine. But during that period of my of my life, I had to offer myself the capacity to break down. And I think that's what I would love to see you do for yourself because you're a busy body too, But I napped every single day. And like I sound like a like a toddler who needs to be put down, but I genuinely had to do that for myself because I was exhausted most days, emotionally, ir emotionally, it's told on me physically. I had to lay down because I tabs open in your brain. That's the best way to describe it.
Speaker 5: For me.
Speaker 2: It's like this that, And you know, since filing, I don't know, I really appreciate your advice and hearing that and hearing that because what I'm going through is with infidelity and different parenting styles, and I would say divorce, Like so far, it's only I'm on it's early days. I've been thinking about this for a year, two years, so I know it may have seemed sudden to some people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what you were.
Speaker 2: Saying, like when I did the Bachelor Mansion takeover, I look at the video and like, I had so much stress. I'm forty three now. My face was puffy. I the cortisol levels and that was stressful.
Speaker 1: I know you did that, but as a viewer watching it, you didn't look that way. And I'm wondering if during that period of time was he supportive? Did he support you going on the show? He was supportive.
Speaker 2: He took care of the kids, but no support like not a good morning text, knock him dead, anything like that.
Speaker 5: And that's been a part of this too. And he wanted me to do it.
Speaker 2: It was a money making opportunity. It was a great experience for me. But you know, obviously I touched on infidelity and I've talked about it pretty openly, but he's on my cell phone plan and it was like four or five days into filming, and I shouldn't have done it. And I looked at my phone plan and one of the girls because there's many I was texting late at night once the kids went down, and it just chattered me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I think there's a fine line. And again I didn't experience that that I know of in my marriage. And that's a whole other level, Bob, of betrayal, like take a trick.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I'm just listening.
Speaker 1: Betrayal what you are experiencing, Like I can get with you on the divorce part. I understand that trauma, but what you are experiencing is a whole other level of betrayal and another thing that that you have to kind of really pick apart and heal from and really put some work into because hopefully right you will find someone later, you will find somebody really great who will love you ready for that level of betrayal.
Speaker 3: My mind process when I was going through it was Okay, I need to work on me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't need to find someone to play a gap. It's not about finding someone.
Speaker 5: Who I found. My kids are the greatest love.
Speaker 2: Of course, my highest priority is I already is keeping them safe and uh, like you know, and I know you've dealt with this, Like the hardest part has been co parenting, and I'm learning that on the fly. Nobody writes a manual for divorce. I'm sorry, but maybe that's.
Speaker 4: What we do.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Well, I just for me, Like I'm also publicly talking about it because it's the worst thing I've ever gone through, and apart from losing my mom and it's death, it's grief. It's you saw me earlier and just seeing you, Bob and Dianna, You're a both breath of fresh air to me in this beautiful place. It's been very healing, but Also, I have anxiety because I know what I'm going to go home to and it's stressful.
Speaker 3: There's a level too, I think people forget, like you know when you and it doesn't have to be a public divorce, it's it is any type of divorce.
Speaker 4: There's a level of embarrassment.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's just talk about it, right, Like I remember that I don't know what I was hurt by more when I when I was going through my divorce was the feeling of disappointment in myself right because I'm like, how did I let this fail?
Speaker 4: Like where you know, where did I go wrong?
Speaker 1: What did I do wrong? And you and you and I said this, I'm not good enough?
Speaker 4: Why am I not good enough? Like you? You know, I wasn't blaming anyone else. It was I was. I was I was.
Speaker 3: Instead, I was like beating myself up, and I think we all do that, right and.
Speaker 1: Goes into marriage and says, well, I can't wait to get divorced when this doesn't work out. No one does that, thinking this is the rest of my life. It is grief on many levels.
Speaker 2: And I still have days where like this morning, I was really sad because I haven't done something like this in a while and was my best friend. Yeah, and like I don't have that support from him anymore.
Speaker 5: Sorry, No, that's okay.
Speaker 4: This is what we're here for.
Speaker 5: I wanted to quote.
Speaker 2: I want to say, but like, it's also really scary to talk about and publicly. And I'm sorry, I'm not a martyr, but.
Speaker 1: You have to cry. You have to let the old feel out, to let the fresh water in.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm going to get in that lake.
Speaker 4: At some point, I.
Speaker 1: Did not I heard it. That is not my quote, but I have thought about it because I had a really hard time crying. And I'm so with you on the embarrassment and all of those things. And what I have said to Courtney many times is that I admire her ability to use her voice and to speak because I did it behind closed doors and it almost killed me. I was so embarrassed. I was so scared to tell people that my marriage was failing. It's like I created this picture of this perfect husband and this perfect family, and I did it so well that he' in My family members, the closest people to me were shocked when we got divorced. And then I didn't know how to cope, and I did it by myself, and I wouldn't. I wouldn't suggest that for anyone. It almost killed me. It almost killed me. I lost myself in that. I lost my personality, I lost my will. Honestly, if I didn't have children, yeah, if I didn't have children, I'm not sure I would have gotten out of the bed every single day.
Speaker 4: Well, so you just said you you're losing your hair. You said the same thing I did.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. I really suggest you read some of these self help books.
Speaker 2: I'm not a self help girl. And she's got amazing hair. She sent me like this long list of things.
Speaker 5: But it's the damn.
Speaker 1: Your body holds onto these things and you process trauma. That's why the book is called The Body Keeps the Score. Because your body holds this stuff in certain places. Your anxiety will live in your chest and stomach.
Speaker 5: Said like, I do light work, which don't put that.
Speaker 1: I'm cuckoo kazoo too, and I love it.
Speaker 5: Like it's bad?
Speaker 3: Is it bad?
Speaker 2: Like the other night I just watched True Time as I fell as because I know you like your True Crime. I was like, let me crack a case, like, let me distract myself but the hardest part for me has been waking up every morning. That's why I had such a tough morning because it's like, this isn't like this level of betrayal. It's not like he got drunk at a Christmas party and hooked up with one person. It's it's been the whole time. And I've been with him for close to eight years. And Bob, I think you could speak to meeting him. Actually was wearing this stress when I went to bed and Ashley I's baby shower. Last I heard of Ben I was at and you and him text about sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's I had today.
Speaker 2: I was questioning myself, like I thought, like, if it was just one affair, I probably could have got over it.
Speaker 1: I think the place that you're in right now is that it feels like Groundhog Day every single day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I wake up to a nightmare of like, oh my gosh, this is I filed for divorce, which I am bleeding money on attorneys fees. I did secure my own place because the hardest part is he has a He's not willing to leave the house. So it's just I wish who was I said, we can do this the easy way, or we can do it the hard way, and unfortunately he's an attorney and it has been hard every step of the way.
Speaker 1: If I can say anything, I know you didn't have kids when you got divorced.
Speaker 4: It's a totally different world.
Speaker 1: It's a totally different way. I had children when I got divorced. It took everything that I had most days to put the children above myself and my needs to not speak ill of their father, and I don't do that right my children. What they deserve is to love their mother and to love their father. Yes, and I will stand on my ground that I still do that to this day. That's what they deserve. Our marriage didn't work out, our relationship didn't work out, and that sucks. But we have these two beautiful children that didn't ask for any of this. I have three beautiful children that didn't ask for any of this. What they need is a whole mommy and a whole daddy. And they need you to be healthy and they need you to be well. And you are given the opportunity now, and this is what I did. So I'm only saying from my own experience, you are given the opportunity now to really take a deep dive and get yourself back in alignment the path that you are meant to be on, the woman that God designed you to be, yes and to live holy and fully in that you get the opportunity to do that now instead of rushing on to anything else, any other relationship. But also you need to be really weary of that bitterness and that resentment and that anger, because those are very much there.
Speaker 5: You guys know, I'm a fighter.
Speaker 1: They are there, and I've had my weak.
Speaker 5: Moments where he's provoking me, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, one of the best lessons is the power and pause. That's the best lesson.
Speaker 2: My gosh, I needed that because last night we were at dinner and my phone started blowing up and it was something I can't really talk about right now because I am going through a divorce. The law is also very scary. Yes, and Bob we talked and you know, you getting sued by whatever. I'm dealing with an attorney and my phone started blowing up. So it was also narcissism, like he tried to ruin my trip and it worked. You know, when you've been with somebody for so long.
Speaker 4: You know how to push their buttons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he did that to me last night and all day this morning, and I had to skip the cruise because it's just.
Speaker 5: Overwhelming.
Speaker 1: I want to empower you a little bit. You get to choose when to hop off the ride. It's blocked.
Speaker 2: I'm like, we can go through the parenting app, like there's all these things that you have to learn, and nobody tells you.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask you about that. So that's probably the safest way to communicate, right.
Speaker 1: We use a parenting app. It was the best decision that let's keep it.
Speaker 4: With parenting app.
Speaker 1: So they have apps that judges will approve nowadays that everything can be used in the court of law should you need it. But it's also Monday. It's just as a good like basis on one oh one, how to be good co parents, how you should speak to each other because judges will tell you you can't mouth each other to your.
Speaker 2: Children like harassment at this point, and I don't know if.
Speaker 5: I should keep that in here.
Speaker 2: The parenting app is on the phone with my attorney this morning, and.
Speaker 1: It's use a parenting app. Use a parenting app. We use one. It has been a game changer, you guys, I would just we still use a parenting app To this day, I would describe us as two years ago very high conflict, and.
Speaker 2: I think we're not a conflict here.
Speaker 1: You have those heightened emotions right now. There's a lot of emotions. You're angry, You're sad, You're bitter, you're you're devastated. It's a mix of emotions and they come in waves. Ride every wave.
Speaker 5: I better learn how to surf, Bob.
Speaker 1: We'll throw you a flotation device this way.
Speaker 3: That's a flight attendant status coming out are you?
Speaker 2: And honestly, just laughter has been the best medicine. Being here with you guys, being around people, and like I'm the hardest thing for me is I'm establishing like a new sense of normal.
Speaker 5: My kids are so resilient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so's so resilient, and that's my highest priority. I'm going to I gotta go get some presents for them because I get to see them soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: How are I mean, I hope it's not too personal of a question. How are they handling the emotional toll of of what you guys are going through right now? I mean, obviously they know something's going on, and you know to what level. You don't need to discuss but I mean, how how do you keep their spirits up during this time?
Speaker 5: Popsicles?
Speaker 2: But they have hard time because we switch off every other weekend and my weekend was last weekend and the first day back, and I don't know if you have ever experienced this, I mean, you went through divorce without kids. The first day back is hard, all free, and my kids are young. I've got a six year old to four year old and a two year old, and they all want me at the same time, and they think I'm working when I'm away, which breaks my and I am working.
Speaker 5: But like my son.
Speaker 2: Joaquin, he's old enough to like express things and he's like, did you make a lot of money? And I'm like, yeah, babe, and I bought him a Nintendo Switch and yeah, so nope, but they're doing it. The babies having the hardest time. Gabriels too. But it takes a day. So I wanted to say anybody listening going through divorce, the first day back is the hardest because I'm used to having an extra pair of hands, and they're so disregulated, you know, and they all want me and they're like jumping on me, and so it just takes a little while to kind of calm him down, and then by the next day I've been letting him sleep in the bed with me, all three of them.
Speaker 1: I will never ever second guess my decision to let my children sleep with me. They won't be sixteen and still doing it. I will never regret it. It is one of my happiest moments to have both of my children and my dog in my bed. My heart is full and overflowing. One of the very few things that Stephen and I did well was parents are children, and we made a decision very early on to put our children in therapy. Divorce is traumatic for everyone.
Speaker 5: Of our life coaches getting me somebody good.
Speaker 2: And I have a life coach, well, she's actually a psychologist, but she just filling insurance things. So I talked to her for like an hour a day pretty much.
Speaker 1: And children is age under ten years old. What they crave is a family unit. They crave a mommy and a daddy in a home together. That's what they crave. It is proven. Studies are proving that we took the advice of our children's therapists and when we sat our children down and talked to them, we didn't lie, but we said it in kids' terms, right, this is what is happening, this is what this will look like. But we also made some of it sound fun, because so much of divorce is daunting and awful and painful. And when children want their mommy and daddy, they can't go oh, at six years old, I need to understand that mommy and daddy are no longer together. What their heart says is that they love mommy and they love daddy and they want you at that moment, right then and there.
Speaker 5: Right right.
Speaker 1: So we worked very hard with the kids to say, now you get two Christmases. Santa comes to two homes.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: They will never remember how much you spent on them at Christmas. What they will remember is what you did in your home. You decorated that tree together, the new traditions that you will form.
Speaker 5: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: It is also hard in the beginning. You have to find space when your children leave to fill you up. And some days that just looked like catching a nap or cooking something yummy in my own kitchen by myself. But that also takes time to find yourself again. There were many nights I cried on my children. I still do it to be honest. When the kids leave, I walk around the house and I look in their rooms, I'm like, oh, I miss Austin.
Speaker 5: That's why I was saying morning, I was missing my kids.
Speaker 1: But it is easy. It gets easier. I then get to find joy that they get to spend time with their dad. And in those moments when I don't have the kids, I do selfish things for myself, but I don't do when I have the kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to have time for some self care too, especially with what you're going through right now. I mean to your to the honest point, it's like, you know, I think looking in the mirror and taking a moment and.
Speaker 5: I can't even look. I'm like, I look terrible.
Speaker 1: I've been crying yourself a little bit, give yourself seriously in the beginning.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm just like a warrior. And I have to be strong for my kids.
Speaker 5: And I, like I.
Speaker 2: Said, I got a new residence and now I have to furnish it and I'm so excited to just have them and parent them the way that I can. And but like I said to him, when you know, he admitted to the affairs and stuff, and I was like, you have a daughter like he's going to be at the graduation. He's I'm like, you're going to take pull them into daughter father daughter dance. Our kids are someday gonna know that this happened, and that breaks my heart.
Speaker 1: They might not, they might not. You get to make a choice what to protect the kids from. They don't have to know everything.
Speaker 2: Why my podcast about it? He's actually begging me to take the podcast out.
Speaker 1: I'm like, well, I're already.
Speaker 5: Kind of out there.
Speaker 2: I just want to help people because this is uncharted water and.
Speaker 4: Us for you, for me, it's not on chary water.
Speaker 2: For do you have any male advice for me because you've been through I don't.
Speaker 3: Well I've been through divorce, but I didn't have children, and I would say, there's you know, the one thing about podcasting, and I mean I say this a lot, and this is by no means disrespectful to what we do, right, But I don't share everything podcast if I'm being honest, there's a lot of things I keep to myself and then I'm a but I think I think with children at play and you know, maybe there's a way that you can talk about what you're going through without throwing their dad under a bus. And I hate to say that because I mean, this could be bad. I don't watch it right, You're right, right, But I feel like there's going to come a time where that harmony is going to have to be something that you guys cultivate together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I keep saying them, we just need to be civil. Yeah, and right now what.
Speaker 1: You're going through, you also need to have realistic expectations. Our expectations of others get us in trouble.
Speaker 2: Oh. I do not have great expectations. The bar is very low right now. But I am a tough cookie, Deanna, and so are you. And that's what's always attracted me so much. I watched you go through it, and I remember reaching out to you, and I just saw you go through it publicly, very very publicly, and my heart broke for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's hard, had.
Speaker 2: Nothing to do with me, but I remember reaching out to you and you were so thankful. And I have such a great support system. But this level of betrayal is, like I said to my dad, I'm like, how am I going to ever trust somebody again?
Speaker 1: My hope for you today is that you're sitting across from two people who have made it to the other side. Bob is happily married with two children of his own.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, I got to meet her. I mean, it's so good.
Speaker 1: It is life on the other side. But to get to the other side, Courtney, you have to go through it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go around it.
Speaker 1: There's no jumping over, there's no swimming under. You have to go through it.
Speaker 3: That's I wish you the best because I know, and it's not going to get easier anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Earlier, she's like, it's gonna be a couple of years.
Speaker 1: I'm like, somebody said to me, there's don't tell her that she's fragile, and I was like, no, I don't cut the ship. It is hard. It is hard.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, I'm looking forward to Halloween. Like I'm like, let's wrap this up, Like I want to be healed by Halloween. It's my favorite time of year. I'm gonna make my chili, you know, And I well, you can still.
Speaker 3: Have your favorite time of the year and you can still have chili. But you're gonna watch a movie it's gonna make you're gonna think about It's the truth.
Speaker 1: It is human nature to have instant gratification.
Speaker 3: I told you how Canyon and I when we got together, I told her all the worst things about me, right, I really did.
Speaker 4: I was like, super hown. I'm like, well, you're not gonna like that I do this.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna like that I do that, right, But I said, I was like, my ex wife and I are still friendly and I like it that way.
Speaker 4: And I said, and I said, it's not like we're hanging out. We're not going to dinner.
Speaker 3: I'm like, but I don't let people talk shit about her, and I don't, you know, I don't need that, right And we didn't have children, right, So it was one of those things where I love that I handle it that way. But what I found was Kenyon took my lead on that. Like she she would never say anything bad. It wasn't like I would be mad at her for it, but she would never say anything bad about anyone I was previously with or anything like that.
Speaker 4: She didn't have to write.
Speaker 3: It was like this, and I think that you can, you know, you can really kind of control what you put out there in your energy level. I mean, right now you're going through a lot, right, but you're gonna get to a point where you're gonna be like, Okay, I want my I want my kids to know that mommy and daddy doing the best we can do together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're still here for them. It is not their fault, right, So.
Speaker 1: That's so it's important to say that to them and to remind yourself today today I'm doing the best that I can. Yeah, And I say that to my kids. That's all we can have a most daily today. Mommy's doing the best that she can. Are you doing the best that you can? And my kids will say yes, And I'm like, and that's all we can ask for. We're doing the best that we can. And today you're doing the best that you can, Courtney. Yeah, you're doing a good job.
Speaker 4: You're doing a great job.
Speaker 2: Hell you guys, all right, I'm gonna pay you guys follow me around.
Speaker 5: I want to come help with my three kids.
Speaker 4: We got our phone numbers.
Speaker 1: Just give us a great with children.
Speaker 4: Yes you are.
Speaker 3: I watched Deanna cooking cauliflower pizza the other day. I thought it was a pretty damn good video.
Speaker 4: Not gonna lie.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: We love you, Courtney. Thanks for coming in. I've been Deanna.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i've been Bob, and thanks for I do part too, Everybody