Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Surveillance with Tom Keane, Jonathan Farrow, and Lisa Abramowitz on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: We are advantaged by the former Vice Chair of the Federal Reserve System, Richard Clarett of Columbian of course, global economic advisor at pim Coe, Doctor Clarida, I just want to cut to the chase. You wrote an Economist essay on about the IMF meeting that I hope everybody at the FED read, which is it's really going to be hard to get back to a two percent level. Where are we heading across the meetings of twenty twenty three with the inflation dynamic you describe in your Economist article and with what we see from the Fed, where are we going to be in June and onto the December meeting.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for having me on the show, Tom. I guess a couple of points. I do think in the statement today, as I and I think others expected, they did adjust the language, and so they definitely want to have the option not to hike at the June meeting by including that language on the extent. But I do think this is a committee that and we'll see this from the chair today. I imagine pretty soon. It's don't get emphasized. They're not declaring mission accomplished. Inflation is way too high, and certainly this will be I think sold and they believe that it's a pause and they're going to do what it takes now. Looking ahead, I have written and do believe that you under a plausible scenario that the FED is laid out in the projections, which I broadly agree with, Inflation a year from now could be running in the twos, but probably not near two point zero, probably north of two and a half, maybe closer to three. And I think at that point the committee will have to make a judgment. But if it sees progress on inflation, then it's shown in the SEP projections. They think they can be adjusting rates downward, but I don't think they have to get all the way to two before you see those adjustments.
Speaker 2: If we look at where we are with our start and the calculations that people like you make up to see what the path is forward, there are other ways within the system to be more restrictive, and of course one of them is banking trauma. Are we more super restrictive now or more tight than the chairman realizes.
Speaker 3: Well, I well, I'm not sure what the chairman realizes, but I do think and I certainly believe that what we've seen with SVB, First Republic Credit, Swiss, the kulative effect of that, even if there are no more disruptions, will be to tighten bank lending. I think that's equivalent to some additional rate hikes. So whatever rate hikes you might have thought the economy needed, say in late February, probably fewer now because this is going to slow the economy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Toursten, who I really respect, talked about the other markets for supplying credit, but a lot of small firms and businesses don't have access to those markets. So when bank lending slows, it will impact a small business hiring an employment I think pretty sally.
Speaker 4: Given that credit interruption. Do you agree with Diane Swank and Matt Lazetti earlier who said that they think that the bar is higher to cut rates than to raise rates again after a pause, Well, let.
Speaker 1: Me think through that.
Speaker 3: I think that inflation's just too damn high. It's not three points something, it's in the fours. Whatever progress appeared to be evident in the data in the winter has now best stalled, and so yes, I think there's a committee that is going to be very reluctant to ease until it really does start to see inflation moving down sustainably, and so I would agree with that.
Speaker 4: So right now, as we look at this statement and we understand what you're saying, what more do they have to see in the banking sector in order to say, Okay, hold up, this is something really serious. It needs a little bit more scrutiny.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess, I guess it's an evolving situation. We've resolved to significant banks resolved in the sense that they they collapsed and they had to be acquired with facilitator by the FDIIC.
Speaker 1: Look, let me say what I do.
Speaker 3: Believe the banking system as a whole in the US has enough capital, has enough liquidity, and it is profitable. So this is not an issue about the banking system per se. But clearly there are fragilities amongst certain banks, in particular in that category between one hundred to two hundred and fifty billion, and we may not have seen the last of that.
Speaker 5: If you want to chain again Life on TV and radio. This is a special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance covering the Federal Reserve decision from about twenty minutes ago, they hiked interest rates twenty five basis points. If you're interested in the language shift in the statement that we got from last time. Last time they said the Committee anticipates that some additional policy firming may be appropriate. A couple of lines have changed around that. The line now reads in determining the extent to which additional policy firming may be appropriate to return inflation to two percent over the time, the Committee will take into account the cumulative tightening of monetary policy. Off the back of this directity market positive on the SMP by zero point four percent. That's only a P five hundred in the bond market, yields a bit lower the front end. Not a big move. That move faced just a little bit. We're down about three four basis points on a two year three ninety two. Just to look at foreign exchange briefly, the euro strongest dollar week or off the back of all of this one ten sixty five the news conference you're laughing atn't you're all ten? He wrote dollar? You love that? Eleven minutes away from that news conference. It doesn't seem to change. Rich. I keep saying the same thing. Rich, I just want to jump in on the banking stress. Your former colleague John Williams of the New York Fed has really played down the role the FED has played in this by hiking interest rates from zero to five so quickly in a little more than a year. I'm just wondering what your assessment of that is. The contribution of FED policy over the last twelve months to what we've seen play out at the regional banking level.
Speaker 1: Good question.
Speaker 3: I have anormous regard and work closely with John for nearly four years. I think as a FED official, he is careful in how he chooses his word.
Speaker 1: I'll just tell you what I think.
Speaker 3: I think in every rate hike cycle, banks that have exposure to interest sensative assets are are going to face challenges. You know, in the case of First Republic, they held a lot of mortgages.
Speaker 1: Mortgages get hurt when the rates go up.
Speaker 3: In the case of SVB, they held a lot of you know, securities and so and so. I think banks do maturity transformation. They borrow short and lend long, and when bond yields go up a lot some banks are going to be are going to be challenged, and so I just think it's an inevitable part of of monetary policles. As I said, the banking system as a whole is sound, but banks that have big exposure to rising rates that they didn't hedge are not surprisingly going to get hurt.
Speaker 2: And I can ask you this because you're the monetary guy. If you're the regulation guy, couldn't ask you this, Doctor Clarida. But you know for you it works, and with your experience and your public service to the country, it's real simple. Everybody's scared stiff. Libors back to where it is. This new sofas back to where it is. Kathy Jones over at Squab is just out with where the FDTR rate is. It's back to where it was, which is six two thousand and six. Michael Spence was eloquent in twenty ten about the regulatory failures leading into seven eight nine.
Speaker 6: Are we there again? Tom?
Speaker 1: I don't think we're there. I don't believe we're there.
Speaker 3: What I will say is that, and I think the report that we got out of the FED and the GAO, I certainly read both of them carefully, and clearly there were things that were missed. Not so much in regulation, but perhaps in supervision. And I do think that we will see that changed pretty quickly, and certainly I think that would be a good idea.
Speaker 6: Rich.
Speaker 5: You know the Federal Reserve in your time, there has been heavily criticized over the last few months regarding this issue. Can you share some of your experience in your time? Did these issues ever come up at board meetings that you attended around the names that have failed over the last two months. Were these flanked in any way, shape or form at the board level in day c Well.
Speaker 1: Let me just let me just say this.
Speaker 3: I was surprised by both of these based upon my entire experience, and in particular, what I would say.
Speaker 1: Is there was a focus.
Speaker 3: It was in statute in twenty eighteen that the FED should tailor to the individual banks regulation and supervision. I think that that certainly is important, but I think these reports do indicate that that needs to be improved, and I think it will be improved and it should be improved.
Speaker 4: I guess another way to ask this, Rich is just whether this goes all the way up to Jerome Powell in terms of his oversight of individual regional bank regulatory exercises. In other words, is he somebody who would have known some of the granularities here? Just to give us a window into what that process is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'll just leave my answer at that.
Speaker 3: Obviously I've not been in the building for fifteen months, and I'll just leave my answer at that.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, just to give you a well, Rich, you know, the reason why this is important is because people often think of these as independent items. Right, You've got on one hand, policy and you definitely have an inflation problem. But John, you have to wonder if at a certain point you're kind of challenge if you have a regulatory.
Speaker 5: Miss mistaken, Rich, I don't think we're going to let this go. You were there. You guys knew they were hiking aggressively. SVB has gone under signature bank First Republic silver Gate when you were hiking interest rates this aggressively at the Federal Reserve? Was this on your radar? And Rich? If it was on your radar, why was nothing done about it in a sufficient way to prevent this from ultimately materializing?
Speaker 3: Well, I was there in twenty eighteen when we hiked rates up to two and a half percent and paused at that level. I continue to say, as I did, or when I got a similar question, the banking system as a whole is sound. It has a lot of capital and liquidity, and so at a top down macroeconomic level, it certainly was not then a concern Rich.
Speaker 2: What's so important here to John's question? And I know there was a pandemic and all of the estimation of the glide path of the great medical miracle of getting out of the pandemic, But a lot of cynics would be saying that well meaning people have been basically practicing modern monetary theory with the Biden stimulus in whatever form it was, and now we're trying to extricate ourselves from it. How do we extricate ourselves from the FED, the deficit, the debt ceiling, the other worries that our listeners and viewers have. What does he do in the press conference to help us extricate ourselves from his dilemma?
Speaker 1: Well, I think there are a lot of moving parts there. I think J.
Speaker 3: Powell is going to focus on doing his job, keeping at it till the job is done, but being attuned and attentive and sensitive to what we're seeing in the financial system. And I don't expect him to move beyond that. But Tom, you are right the thrust of your question. These are all related and obviously they all impend on monetary point.
Speaker 6: This is the heart of the matter.
Speaker 2: From the head of economics at Columbia University for so many years and what he did with Gertler, John, this is a FED that has to get back to a laser focus on what the original mission was through the pandemic.
Speaker 6: There were all these other issues.
Speaker 2: The social the social policy that was you know, it's gone off in the crisis.
Speaker 5: Let's be clear that was driven by the chairman himself.
Speaker 6: Yes, I agree, I totally agree.
Speaker 2: But the point is to what the former vice chairman is saying, they're going to get back to a more focused process.
Speaker 6: That would be one guest.
Speaker 5: Let's focus on the next four minutes. In about four minutes time, we will have a news conference with Chairman pow Rich. Let's wrap it up there. What would be your focus going into this news conference just as a spectator now from outside the Federal Reserve looking at this play out.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for that question.
Speaker 3: I do think that the statement today will will will be helpful in that because I do think the goal coming into the meeting. Notwithstanding, what we saw with First Republic was was to give themselves the option to pause and uh. But certainly I think the charitable stress that they're not it's not mission accomplished, and they've got a.
Speaker 1: Lot of work to do.
Speaker 3: So I think I think we'll hear a fair amount of references uh to uh to that, because I think he and the committee do want to guard against the pause being heard as done, or pause being heard as rate cuts are eminent.
Speaker 5: Sounded like a thanks for not asking me about it banks again from th Rich than you so much, Chair, wonderful to gay perspective on this monastry policy decision.