Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back.
Speaker 2: We're black.
Speaker 3: Brain ambition, ambiss ambition, and I.
Speaker 1: Wish I could see how many and dropping it throwing our backside.
Speaker 4: You have a little shoulder shimmy, shoulder shimmy.
Speaker 2: It's the end of the year. Yes, how are your manager?
Speaker 4: The Christmas spirit smacked me upside the head this past weekend, Tiffany, no tree because we're going to Atlanta and my little brother is hosting us and the old house, so we're going to do the tree there, okay, And so we decorated a really tiny tree here, but we did the outside okay. And I got plans to make cookies. And it's the season.
Speaker 2: That's good. As you said, you get a gift basket.
Speaker 4: I got a gift basket.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, mom our podcast home my chees and my pears and apples. I was like, well, I can eat this cheese, honey, but I eat the pears and apples.
Speaker 4: Yeah, delish, how about you?
Speaker 1: So I usually, I usually the tradition is we put up the tree right before Thanksgiving because we typically host Thanksgiving, so that way it's all pretty for everyone to see.
Speaker 2: But I wasn't in the mood this year.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I was just really miss Agderrell hard and I was like, it was this Christmas is his favorite time of year. But I was like, you know what, Doctor Green always reminded me, you can have new traditions.
Speaker 2: And I thought, you know what.
Speaker 1: My sister Carol's kids, Roman and Amelia had just decorated their little tree. Because their tradition is to get a real live tree. She gets a little one for the house and they decorated all excited, and I saw it and we were facetiming, and I was like, you guys are like professionals, Can you come to my tree?
Speaker 2: And so they did.
Speaker 1: It looks exactly how you think if a six and eight year old did your message.
Speaker 4: It's like all the ornaments clustered at the height of three feet.
Speaker 1: But I didn't let them use a little step ladder, and then of course you have to pick them out each one.
Speaker 2: Can you pick me up it?
Speaker 4: But? Can you?
Speaker 2: But I don't say.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of fun and it's not as fancy as before I look, but it's really beautiful.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm I embraced the tacky at Christmas time. I am trying to have one of those perfectly the all whites, the all blues color schemes. You know, I love the tacky. It's like the same old multicolored string lights that I got back when I was living in Queens like ten years ago, the same dollar store tinsel, and I'm handing it to my four year old son and I'm just like, this is a weird but great. That's what always right about boom. But like, it's the end of the year, I know, so damned if I'm not reflecting. You know. The first place I started to reflect my my my investments. Okay, I actually logged in and checked my investment accounts, which I have not done. I'm not gonna lie and say I waited all year, but I don't think I've done it since before Remmy was born. So it's been at least six seven months, probably longer. And they're looking cute. Cute, yeah up, you know, lifetime of the right. I mean, I imagine years too. But like I think anyone who's who's invested in who's been heavily invested in the market like I've always been, and I and I don't check because of years, like twenty twenty what was that twenty twenty two was really rough. I feel like I don't check that often because I know it's gonna go down like it was bad. There was one year, I feel like it was last year the year before where it was down like I don't know, like one hundred k or something like that, and I was just like, you know what, let me stop checking because I'm Time will fix this. And Time did. It's up ten percent over the lifetime of the account, which is okay since what happened twenty fourteen. Yeah, so almost ten years I've been investing, and I'm every time I open my investment account, I'm like, shout out to baby, Mandy really started something you know she ain't had.
Speaker 2: You want to be as well.
Speaker 4: That felt good. I felt good. So I've been feeling Yeah. That made me feel rich. And then my first you know this, the first one fourth of my book money hit my big account. Finally, I mean, while, I find the contract back in May, so there you go. Publishing timelines, y'all. So I've got some end of year like tax stuff I got to figure out, and I'm like, okay, I need to text my I just need to because this is the life of a solopreneur. I need to figure out how much to invest because I don't have like a regular other than like when I pay myself monthly. I'm I do put like some money into the investment account. I have to manually do it because that's ghetto because Vanguard anyway, And but at the end of the year, I'm like, I ain't trying to get text in all of this, so I'm prob probably going to have to do some math to figure out how much I should just put immediately into my solo for one k okay before the year ends. But also I feel like I might have until March. Sometimes they give you right, sometimes they let you like make contributions until the first, like the March of the year after for the year before anyway. This is why for some stuff, okay, Tiff, Yeah, this is why I need an accountant.
Speaker 1: No, it's true, Like I literally was just signing financial paperwork this morning, because you know, because at the end of the year, you're right, especially for entrepreneurs or business owners, you're scrambling to say, what can I do? Like so for example, I have been, you know, maxing out my retirement account, and there were some months where I don't even know I probably didn't put it enough.
Speaker 2: So my financial advisor was.
Speaker 1: Like, let me see, she's like tipping to your short like you know, if you want to max out. I was short maybe like twelve hundred dollars or something, so she's like, you know, let's make let's go get to your account update so that way the next pay check takes the full amount. So that way you've maxed out on your retirement and contributions.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's all these financial decisions that you're making, but not only just that I've been making. I sat down with my team so we could do our twenty twenty four plan and I was really proud Budget East the team, or then Budget East the team, and so we decided to do something different. So there are the core members of my team. Logan she's like the manager of all things content and like are basically my main lead. There is a Keisho project manager, and Carol who was like logistics. And then we have Tajerry who what's our intern and now she's like a part time contractor who does like social media.
Speaker 2: So those are like the four core. That's the four core, and so I.
Speaker 1: Said, let me do something different because this year I have shifted my leadership model from where I used to leave, from a place of detectiveness, where it's like I was the mom and I never let the kids know that sometimes we didn't have enough money for bread, I just would go without, you know, and it was like.
Speaker 2: Everything's fine, everything is just fine. That's how I used to navigate.
Speaker 1: Everybody was super happy, and I would do a raise no matter what, and I would do bonuses no matter what, like I never no matter what was happening.
Speaker 4: On Baptistess Baby, I know.
Speaker 3: I was like, I will manage distress. And I did job well. I was managing it poorly.
Speaker 1: And so this year I shifted because quite honestly, it was a really tough financial year. We made just about half me the year before, and I was like, I can't, like I just couldn't afford to hide the secret anymore that if we're having a hard time, because people were expecting me to navigate in the same way, and so finally I was like, let me tell you the books, and they were like, oh, it's not as cute as we thought. So all of a sudden, though, when I realized, and this is what doctor Breene taught me, She's like, you know, when you protect people, you know, detection only makes sense if you really believe that the person or child or whoever cannot handle the ramifications of the thing you're protecting them from. So, like, you have kids, we're obviously not gonna let Remy, you know, roll off the bed because girl, you know, but you.
Speaker 2: Might let Rio like run.
Speaker 1: And have never done that, not intention but you might let Rio run in the park and knowing like he is going too fast, he's about to trip, but he'll be all right because he'll learn like, all right, I don't quite have the footwork necessary. And so she said that we need to let like in those moments, you know, Rio run in the park, like, okay, he can handle the consequences of like learning the lesson. And so she said, when you do that with your team, or you're telling yourself, is these adult women cannot handle, you know, the consequences of knowing like sometimes things are tight. And so she said, do you really believe that to be true? And I was like, I guess not. And so now you know, doctor Green, Yeah, she's always being a whole business. I mean, so finally, I mean, because he knows and just in general, that's the place I navigate from like.
Speaker 2: I'll take it. I'll do it. I'll be the sacrificial lamb. And so son't you.
Speaker 4: Just put like a chicken, the chicken leg or chicken.
Speaker 2: Thought, Oh, I'll take the small piece of chicken.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the small chicken. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always will sacrifice. Like if there's all this chicken on the plate, I'll just wait till everybody eats. And I'm like, I'll just take the small piece whatever's left over. Matter of fact, I don't even like chicken. Guys, go ahead and eat. I'll just start in the corner. I like this year, we shifted that this year, and the way that my team has like rose to like the occasion, how brilliant they've been, how hard they've worked, how.
Speaker 2: Creative, how innovative.
Speaker 1: And I said, you mean to tell me all the time this was accessible to me. And so as a result, I said, how about this for twenty twenty four, let's try something new. I want everyone to work in a capacity that they really enjoy. I want everyone to lead a project. So you know, all the things we do here a budgeanisa, but maybe there's something new or old or whatever. Pick a project that's going to be your project, just one that you're going to be on the lead for, and just one because you're going to need the support of your other team members, but they'll also have their own lead project. And I was like, you know, and then you'll map out what it's going to look like for the year, how much you think we can make, you know, And so people they're really excited, like, oh, this is my baby that I get to raise and grow and look after, and I get to ask for help with my business baby from their business aunties, like hey, look, can can you help me with this component? Or hey Akisha because right now sometimes they feel like they work in a silo. So this will allow us that when we have our company meetings to be like rapport out, how's your baby growing, what do you need support with?
Speaker 2: What are you struggling with?
Speaker 1: So I've never done this before, so I'm actually excited to see what happens when everyone has ownership fully of a project and they're already really excited about it.
Speaker 2: So that was an awesome way to kind of like end the business year, you know, in that kind of way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so at the beginning of this year is when you kind of sat them down and did that hole or maybe last year and this and now you're kind of, oh.
Speaker 1: No, no, we don't have no money. No, girl, I didn't do that. We didn't have no money until like Q three. That's why I was struggling.
Speaker 2: But it was this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I was calling client to you, like girl, we had Yeah, everybody's asking for a raise.
Speaker 2: Remember that was like Q three.
Speaker 4: I know you started getting a lot more exciting, excited by the brown ambition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, how was because I was like, pay them no mind?
Speaker 4: And now it's like, so how much.
Speaker 1: Can I get some poor rich I mean because the budgets was paying me now.
Speaker 2: But I was yes and so like.
Speaker 1: But it's good to have these conversation. I think everybody thinks like that like that in business. Just because you've had a great year, that means you always have a great year. Like and I can share this because she posted on social you know, the the woman Khalila You ever heard of messing a bottle? She's got like that awesome T shirt brand. Right, So she candidly posted on on Instagram the other day that she just had a baby, I think three months ago, and this was a really hard year and she's like we made like next to no money. And after like I think she's been in business seven eight years of business, she's thinking about closing it down. She's like, I don't I had to let off everyone and I didn't know. I don't know what to do. And she's just like this has been my baby, but I can't do everything. I can't pick up the merchandise also manufacture it and then ship and then my baby.
Speaker 2: And she's just you could just tell it was a lot.
Speaker 1: So I called her because I know Kalila, and we just chat and I just I shared with her, I'm like, this was my worst year yet since I probably started the business, maybe the first two years. I shared, how you know, like you know, I had to like cut, I really didn't make any money. And she's like, wait you I said, I think it's important and across the board that you get to hear what business really looks like, you know, And so sometimes there are years like this, And I said, if I'm being all the way, Candon, the reason why we survived is because during the pandemic, when so many of us, like you know, made a lot of money, I instinctively knew that it was not going to last a long time. Like in my personal finances, when I have financial abundance, I am like a squirrel when it's the fall, I worked the hardest and I save the most. So I read an article during the pandemic that Microsoft had up their savings from like six months to like one year's worth of operations expenses, and I was like, at the time, my CFO, her name was Shanta.
Speaker 2: I said, Shanta, how many months do we have?
Speaker 1: She said like two and a half, and I said, hmmm, let's try to get us to six. So I got, you know, our emergency savings to six months, and it was there for like the last like two years. Just sitting in this year, I'm so glad we did it because we're down to one month of emergency savings, meaning we didn't make enough to cover ourselves that had it not been from emergency savings. We used five months of it and it's now December.
Speaker 2: If one month of.
Speaker 1: Emergency savings left, and thankfully we made enough in December not to tap into it. But if I had no emergency savings, I don't know. I mean, I probably would just have to give a personal loan from Tiffany to the business and so I share that because like, I don't care what they did be telling you until media business is really hard and you can have this successful business and everything is and do all the right things and still have a year where you're like, it's we gonna make it. It's we gonna make it, you know. So if it had not been for that savings and she was like Khalila.
Speaker 2: Was like, why did you tell me? I was like, I don't.
Speaker 1: During that time frame, I wasn't thinking that. I just I didn't think I was gonna have some terrible year where I was gonna need to live off of savings. I just thought, if Microsoft is doing it, why shouldn't we, you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, oh why don't you tell her to save?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I mean also when you say not making any money, like you have a staff, Like you have a team too that you're paying for, and it's like you're making money, but the overhead is not meaning though, like the overhead is more than what you're bringing in, right, But if it was like just yet.
Speaker 2: So not yeah, we're making gift, we're making money.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, let's keep it clean because you have to pay for staff, I know, yeah, but yes meaning like yes, but meaning yes, because our overhead, you know, is especially like payroll was like a lot.
Speaker 1: In comparison to like what we like what we bring in. And I really didn't want to do pay cuts because the truth of the matter is, like I used to be able to say I pay like above and beyond what was considered like a fair if fair was fifty. We used paying sanfity, maybe even a hundred. And now we like we fair out there, like so as we're doing.
Speaker 4: A wage still like five dollars, like you.
Speaker 1: Know, we want, you know, we fin because before it's went all okay, But now I'm just like, the truth is is that I you know, I was like, I don't want to make payroll cuts because things have gotten more expensive, and so I'm just like that just I much rather figure it out some other way versus to say, in order for us to stay alive, blah bah blah, I got to do a twenty percent cut, and I'm like, yeah, but like inflation has increased everything sometimes double, you know, so that just wasn't an option, and so figuring out different getting really clever about how do we make enough to cover our expenses?
Speaker 2: Thankfully we have savings.
Speaker 1: The team got to see them and for twenty twenty four, they know that there won't be any raises. It's looking pretty decent already. We have a few contracts that are signed and locked in. And then I said, instead of raises, we're going to do this profit share every quarter where whatever money's left over normally that's an owner's draw. Mandy and I take an owner's draw from brand ambition every month if if we've made money, which means here's how much you made for the month, minus the expense is to run the business.
Speaker 2: This is what's left owner. As an owner, you can draw down or withdraw it.
Speaker 1: And so I told them instead of giving you a raise, I will set aside twenty percent of what I would normally.
Speaker 2: Draw out for you. So that way and then they will they will.
Speaker 1: I will divide that among the team based upon what they currently makes an income. And so that's the way that they'll get a bonus or raise without getting a raise, because it allows me to give them more money only when the company is profitable, you know. So it's like never hurting go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's such a great model as a small business, because that's what you are. You're not like a Google or Microsoft that just prints money all the time, or you know, has all these enormous savings, or it could just go get not that Microsoft and Google needs to raise money, but you know these like Silicon Valley darlings can just go ask some venture capital for a one hundred million dollars. We haven't made it, we haven't turned a profit in ten years, but give us some money, we'll get there. And they're like, okay, anyway, that's I and you've shared that before, and I just think it's Yeah, it's really smart. It incentivizes them to you know, have skin in the game right by having skin in the game, but also gives you the flexibility to not treat yourself like you know, a big tech company or like a big you know, corporation when your income is like a little bit more volatile because it's the structure of the budget USTA.
Speaker 1: And I think that, like, you know, you might be listening if you have a business and like it might not work for you, so you always want to find solutions like and this might work this year.
Speaker 2: This is a weird thing about business.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm assuming, like raising kids, You're like, oh, like what works for rio? And Remy's like, girl, you try to it's something new over here, Like I don't know him.
Speaker 4: When I tell you my baby is crawling and he's six months old. No, Well, I always love your transparency and also it helps me. I mean it helps our listeners too, Like wait a second, didn't they just say this about the business, And like didn't they just say that, you know, and this new thing and it's just like you're just watching us live figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I.
Speaker 4: Feel a little bit, like really it's a relief to I feel like I've finally grown up and like you were my big cousin who I was like, oh, she has everything figured out and all the things, and we never really used to have in depth conversations about the business. I just sort of like took for granted that and Tiffany has everything figured out. But the more I've gotten into it, you've been so even more transparent I feel like about how things were going, and it helps so much. Yeah, it helps. It really makes probably listeners, but certainly me feel more normal, you know, just like, oh, this is the way it can be sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you share a little bit with like your friends who don't have businesses. But then when you really have a business, because then you're like, now you're able to process the fullness of like what it looks like that no one's too successful to have a bad year, no one's too big to fail, Like look at Seers, look at Lord and Taylor. You know, like in the moment, you really fully understand and respect the fact that your business months to month, year to quarter to quarter really requires like your eye on it, and so you know, you put things in place for the times. That's a huge lesson that I learned, is you have to put things in place for the times when things are not good.
Speaker 4: Well, a year ago we were celebrating. A year ago, we were celebrating that you one point two million wents of contracts, which was which actually happened. But the thing about entrepreneurship is it's a contract, but is it like fully executed?
Speaker 1: You know what I fell through? They all fell through one not all of them. Well, no, that's not true. I would say about half of them, because two of the major companies were like, we ain't got it, you know, and I just was like, wait, so that was that was you? Remember you asked me like, but I thought you said I'm my girl. They were verbal promises, we want to work with you so much. I had contracts with them the year before they said absolutely, and then this year they either didn't have the money, didn't have the capability, and so half of them went through, so about six hundred thousand, you know, but the other half.
Speaker 2: Were like, we'll see what next year looks like.
Speaker 5: And I was like, okay, yeah, so you just never know, because I mean, one point one point two it's more than enough to cover all of our bills.
Speaker 1: So I was like, at least our bills are covered. That means we just looking at straight prop fit. But next year, the next year was like, oh, look at her celebrating early in the end zone before crossing whatever football like you know, metaphor. I'm trying to make like they tell you don't celebrate too soon. I was celebrating to.
Speaker 4: But I also think it's like, it's such a good also reminder to diversify, because that was heavily especially in them, when you're all these influencers, especially ones who like you, are getting speaking opportunities or a contract to yeah, to speak or to partner with for a certain you know, a certain length of time or a one time event or whatever that that marketing budget is. So is so the first thing to go when Yes, when times are tough and yeah, it hurts, and then the other parts of the business got to like sort of carry you. And it's good. So I'm glad you're in front of me because I'm also like, Okay, the speaking stuff is cute, but I always think of that as my sprinkles. It's not my cake, Like the cake has got to be which puts more pressure on me.
Speaker 1: What's the product of service that you produce out of like what a brand can pay you, because with brands it can sometimes be really feast or famine. You know that if they rocking with you, you're like, eh, I'm ranch And if they're not rocking with you, you're like, but wh.
Speaker 2: I thought you told me always your favorite girl.
Speaker 4: And it's a horrible feeling because this is no different than working in corporate. I ain't trying to you know, like I don't want to go back to that. I feel like they own that's just too stressful for me.
Speaker 1: Yes, so having your own and that's been if I'm being all the way candidate, like the budget, the literature Academy, I figured out.
Speaker 2: This is the business model.
Speaker 1: We don't get any corporate money for unless somebody like sponsors, like people, so we make money from us internally. But the budgetistas, like I've been really struggling, like what's the business I'm in because I used to be like, it's the business of Tiffany, right I speak, I teach him books and whatever. But I'm like that's not sustainable because I don't always want to dance for a dollar. So that's been the question what is the business that the budget needs to in And I have been really ruminating all that all year, and I have some ideas like, well, we're in the business of like community. We're in the business like I know community is part of it. I'm still trying to figure out to get really clear so we know what products and services to create just for budget Nista, because I can't have a year like this now where someone can say here's six hundred thousand psych thought you had a contract, Like we can't. I can't play that game again. So we have some opportunities coming up to help us kind of like have some our own internal product services and things like that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that it taught me like.
Speaker 1: Okay, you have to get clear if you are, especially if you are you are the business, like you know, like that's why I love what you're doing with Mandy money Makers, right, and so you've gotten really good at like I help women how to negotiate, I coach I you know, I am, you have your digital products, you have your community, you know, versus it just be like I'm in the business of showing up as Mandy, you know. I mean so because it could be easily that because I don't have a like I mean, yes, I have these books and stuff like that, but like you know what I mean, like I don't have like a budget needs to product.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Do you really look at Literature Academy separately from Budget. Yeah, it is two separate companies almost like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like broad Ambition. Yeah. And I'm glad you.
Speaker 4: Said know that, Like you started the Patreon and it was like already a six figure.
Speaker 2: Business of yes, yeah, so the but that's what I was learning.
Speaker 1: That's why I started the Patreon, because I said, what does Tiffany And so that's why I said, huh, maybe you're in the business of communities because I started Patreon, And yes, it is a six figure like business within the business of Budgetista. So I'm like, well, what are the ways can I monetize community? So this I'm literally I'm I'm processing as i'm talking because these are the questions I'm still asking myself, you know, because you will just make yourself crazy and exhausted if you don't get clear. And I'm still trying to really get clear that like other than Tiffany being the product, because that's what it is essentially right now, I am the prom right what other product do we have or service do we have?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, okay, so you'll see.
Speaker 4: What free on your tree. Though I know it's almost like your problems. I hear, not your problems, but like the challenges you're facing. I'm hearing you. But I'm also like, there's no scenario in which you are still not successful because you focused on the most important aspect of business first, which is building trust, faith, you know, and reliability, Like building that trust with your community, authority, you know, your authority, the fact that you've always shown up for them, the fact that they love you so much you know, and trust you and show up for you, and they and they and they you know, the dream cutcher chapters. You had the walk that you did, the wealth walks, you know what I mean. So I'm not even I mean, I know you're like, I still gotta do the work. But as far as me, I'm just like, oh, I feel I mean, it's easy for me to say because I'm not in it with you in it, but I have so much faith. I mean, you're you're fine, Like you're going to be great in this pivot that you're going into because of the last decade that you've spent focusing on the right things, and I like, I commend you for that, and I also try to also like I think about you like a little you know, I want to say tiny elf, heal.
Speaker 2: For the shelf.
Speaker 4: About on my shoulder, but I think about the people, think about the people, what do they need? Focus on us?
Speaker 1: And that's what goodness. But I'm excited to shack, you know. I love to be like Manny, I think I figured it out and edy work. Oh I'm trying so But to your point, I do feel fairly confident that whatever it is will be fine.
Speaker 2: But I'm just mindful.
Speaker 1: You always have to be mindful of the money, obviously, because I'm just like I want to make sure then as I'm navigating, even if it means making less for the next year or two, that you know, we're always covering costs, and so I don't mind bush you I don't mind having years if it benefits the longer growth strategy.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So I'm just like, okay, as long as I'm always keeping eye on costs, like what can we do to reduce them? Every year we do an annual audit of all of our expenses and to say do we need this, this is too much? Can we renegotiate with that contractor can we pay less here? Can we pay for this for the year so we can get twenty percent off. You know, you pay like a monthly for whatever like tool or resource like ooh, can we pay that for the year. So these are the types of things that you know, I'm always keeping an eye. Like a good owner and founder and CEO understands that you're the money in the business is literally the life's blood of the business.
Speaker 2: I don't care how smart you are.
Speaker 1: I have brillier and you are on anything that if you don't have money flowing through the business, then the business will atrophy and die, you know, and so like, I mean we've seen it, like, you know, people go bankrupt even though they have this amazing idea, and so like, it's not enough to be good at a thing. It's also like, Okay, what's the money looking like? What decisions can I make to make sure that the.
Speaker 2: Flow the flow keeps flooding?
Speaker 1: And so yeah, one thing I think one of my superpowers is like, I don't mind being transparent, and so I will always ask the question, I'm like, well, how are you doing it? I will expose everything. I'm like, so here are all the ways that we're making mistakes and have challenges.
Speaker 4: You know, I can't stand how boring, how impossible would this show be if we weren't transparent. How impossible would it be the stress of faking it, you know, or putting on a front, you know, feeling So it just feels so safe here, even though we're talking to each other and we have a bunch of people listening, it just feels safe, like, and that's what Bryan Ambition is all about. I'm just so damn proud of the show and proud of us, and I think that's why people keep rocking with us, because it's so boring. You don't want the heroin to win on the first episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they hold on. Picture is they gonna make it?
Speaker 4: Oh? I want to be the great He's anatomy of podcasts.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wait, you still a tounchred thousand.
Speaker 3: I was worth the contract I did, and one of them was because I wanted more money.
Speaker 1: So I pushed for more because I was feeling myself. They were like, girl, you trying to We'll pick somebody else. I was like, well, go ahead, and they did. And I was like, oh, I was trying to coach.
Speaker 4: I was like, maybe sometimes that happens.
Speaker 2: It does. It does. And I was like, you should feel my face.
Speaker 4: Girls, follow the higher you you reach.
Speaker 1: I mean, it wasn't a little bit of money, and like you know, they were offering me like I don't know, maybe three four hundred thousands. It wasn't like oh, but I was like, no, I think I'm worth this and I still do. And here's the thing.
Speaker 2: They had it. Don't blame me, they had it. But I was just like so when they were like yeah, okay, I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 1: And then here's in the beginning of the year I was feeling myself. I said, because we still have plenty of money, and then we didn't, and then they start thinking like, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: I went back. I was like, hey, boom, hey, big head, how you doing it? You still.
Speaker 4: That was tough.
Speaker 2: I had I ring the X.
Speaker 1: Back up was like and they were like, girl, I thought you say you was cute outside.
Speaker 2: I was like, I did, I lied, but they still said no.
Speaker 1: It was the best no ever though, because had they come through, if I had I taken that money, it would have made us complacent. There were so many internal leadership decisions that I needed to make that I didn't realize were critical decisions until my back was against the wall.
Speaker 2: You know, I would not have stepped up.
Speaker 1: I would still would have been like that parental leader that like everything is fine. The team would not have been forced to step up. I would not have been forced to step up with a different way to navigate payment and finances.
Speaker 2: And so it was.
Speaker 1: That was the best, and honestly, when I say it was the best four or five hundred thousand that I missed out on because it forced us to grow and as a result, like you know, we'll probably two or three x what we made the year before. And so I'm grateful for that, no, because it taught me one, It like really humbled me, like, girl, you ain't too cute to say no, do you know? And then too, it just it forced my hand and to like elevate and girl.
Speaker 4: You're not going to stop negotiating though, just because.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm not a girl.
Speaker 1: I totally yeah, because I'm like, now, because don't let me, don't let me get my product off the grand or whatever we're gonna build, because that is like, I'm sorry, that.
Speaker 4: Is what I struggle with. I know we need to I know you said twenty minutes, we tried it. We tried it. Don't Mari, I'll do one of the qwa's myself. But yeah, like that's what I That's what I grapple with all the time is I'm inspiring women to ask for more, but I can't just leave them there. I have to also teach them how to keep asking for more when the answer is no, not yet, or yeah, oh we changed our mind, or you're not ready yet. And those moments are the real difficult part. You know, it's not always going to be a I asked for more than I got it. Yeah, it's you're right, it's you may know your worth, but then it's like, what do they How do they see your worth? There's always other factors at play, and how do you stay tall? Stand tall through that and keep pushing? And yeah, thank you again. Your transparency is golden and always always teaching, always learning through the ups and downs. That's what it's all about. So you guys are lucky.
Speaker 2: You guys.
Speaker 4: Are you found the right place? If you want real talk?
Speaker 2: Yes, what a good way to close out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's been a really I know, ups and downs, but what a wild year. My gosh, my gosh. I'm really proud of you though.
Speaker 1: So our final episode, we're gonna throw the break real quick and we're gonna come back with the boosty breaky for that behind. We're bad and now it's time to boost up, break up, boost up, break off, booster break gop boost Are you gonna boost?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna break? What you're gonna do? What's you gonna take? I I was talking about that. Can I go first?
Speaker 4: You can?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do a boost.
Speaker 1: I always liked Brown and Bishon, but I want to say I feel like maybe this year I fell in love, you know, like it's just been for real, Like it's not that I've never loved, but obviously I'm here, but like I don't know something about this year.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's because I need the money was here for me.
Speaker 4: I think it's us.
Speaker 1: I think it's just I will say that that. Yes, I mean many might have always been friends because we started off brand ambition as like friends, but you know, we've just seen.
Speaker 4: Enough friends as like we were. I think it was a perfect not to take over your boost.
Speaker 2: But it go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 4: But I always say the best thing about us is with our business is like we were more like we treated as business partners first, and we weren't such good friends that we thought we'd get away with stuff, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, owed up business first. And for a long time it was more like that kind of relationship. We only talked on the show and you know, and I think in the past few years, yeah, it has shifted and now it's like we get to be besties and also enjoy.
Speaker 2: I've becoming to her house and there, and so like, no, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I think that's what it is, is that our personal relationship have just gotten more robust and stronger. And so as a result, like I love Brown and Vision even more because I love Mandy's so much even more.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, I mean we get to see Beyonce.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't I feel like that's solidified, like, oh, like this.
Speaker 2: Is my friend. And so I just want to boost.
Speaker 4: Got to have high highs and low lows with your good friends, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do, you do, and so you get to really see like what the stuff that they made of. So I just want to boost a brown ambition and I want to boost well, I'm I actually want to ask for help because I have decided that I need something to like I'm realizing that like I love it outside and I think I want to run or one a five k. There's about three miles, right were the five ks? So I've never point to three point two is I've never run a five k before? Just run in general, just you know, life, little brisk walk. And so I'm doctor Green has taught me, like, you know, put a plan on the calendar. So I want to put I want to find one in the spring. And so I need a like an app that's gonna help someone who has no experience to get ready for a five K you know what I mean. I know that there's a couch to couch to five K but whatever app, and you know, just at me at the budgetista.
Speaker 4: Whatever, and you have a couch to five K person.
Speaker 2: Well, child, you ain't seeing these knees.
Speaker 4: So but you walk for a long time.
Speaker 1: I do, I do, but still you know me, I'm like, I'm a slow and steady wins race. So I would like a beginner's app that liken, you know, in like you know, nine weeks, twelve weeks, whatever. It gets me like ready for five K. But that's also interesting and kind of fun. So if you have a suggestion, if it costs money, that's fine. If you have a suggestion for an app, because I do, I'm gonna I'm gonna remember we had Brandi's on and so I'm taking the advice of one of our guests on Brown Ambison brandis Daniel from HFR. Remember I said that one of the things I most admire about you and Brandis is that you guys are both great executors. And I asked the question, what is a tip you can get for executing? And she said, pick a date then make it public and so I'm gonna look for five K. I'm gonna look for five K for I'm gonna look for one, and then in the new year, I'm gonna make it public with y'all. And then that way I can be like, you know, cause I you know, I'm gonna be like, how's a five K going?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 4: So there's so many five ks you're gonna have no problem finding. My mistake was, Yeah, my mistake was making a ten k my goal for next summer. And even though I said I'm giving myself a break, I'm gonna run that ten k okay, because I said I was gonna do it, and it's locked in Okay, damn it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, no, I'm not ready for nobody's tank k. I'm not my Ney but a five kmixen girl.
Speaker 4: But that's exciting. Yeah, And you know who's going to help you are one of our most loyal, faithful listeners, Amelia. This is your moment. Amelia has followed our well. We were roommates when I first moved to New York. She now lives in Texas, but she has just been such a faithful listener of the show. I feel like she only reaches out about the show and I'm like, what about me? But anyway, she is a marathoner, extraordinary. She's a health runner, I mean a health writer for a bunch of different publications. Anyway, she's going to get you together. She listens to the show Amelia, this.
Speaker 2: Is your guide to the DMS. Like dag me on Twitter? Whatever? What app do you really like enjoy?
Speaker 1: You know, like, yeah, I'm not a hyper beginner, but I don't mind starting with the super beginner app because I'm still going to continue to do my walks like in between, but something that's not just about the run, Like I want to make sure I maintain my overall you know, like health. So yeah, what about you? Are you boosting and you breaking?
Speaker 4: Oh I forgot where I was for a second. Oh, we're working. I'm going to do I have to do a boost right, Yeah, there's so many things to boost, like just in general for the year. I want to boost that. I did the damn thing I said I was going to do. I said, baby book, Business, baby book, in business, the three Bees, and I had the baby and he's extraordinary. The book is happening. I'm working on chapter two it's due in the spring, which seems so close, and business wise, I have I somehow managed to keep Mandy Money Mandy Money LLC like still happening while I'm writing the book, which was my goal. I still have some shifts to make so I can take I didn't. I need to take my foot even more off the pedal in Q one so I can get this book done. But I'm really, really I just want to boost that I said I was going to do these things and acknowledge it, because yes, some days it does feel like how am I doing? Is this okay? Like you know, some days of I'll have like my my doubt demons are and I go on LinkedIn just look at jobs just to remind myself that there's options.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then quickly.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I don't want none of these jobs, these ashy jops, I don't want them. But yeah, just really really proud heading into the new year, I really want to make it all about making this book the best it can possibly be and not thinking about anything else having to do with it, like the marketing all that. I just have to make it really freaking good, And it's like the only thing I can see right now as like a I'm like a like a red aura around everything I do. It's just like the book. It's like this huge beacon and I feel so damn lucky to be able to do it, and I just want to enjoy the doing it, you know. Yeah, so that's my boost and yeah, last regular show of the new year. We'll still be in y'all's ears with them Baqa's y'all, but they view so much, and.
Speaker 2: Look out for the overt challenge.
Speaker 1: I will share more about it because we're still still here some shows, but like, look up for the challengeing on my free Challenge.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be the Credit Edition.
Speaker 1: We're still working out some details, but it's free as per usual. Launches in January January not January, Yeah, January eighth. I think that's the second Monday of the new year. You know, we did the Savings edition this year. Three hundred of y'all, three hundred thousand of y'all signed up, and so I'm excited to help even more this year. You know, I've been doing the challenge off and on for like ten years now, so I'm excited. I remember we I partnered with you, Mandy, Remember was it Credit test to me credit something Magnify Money, Magnified Money. Yes, we partnered and so that was awesome. I think it was the very first LRD. It's a challenge that y'all.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean so yeah. So it's just really like it's my love.
Speaker 1: Letter to y'all, you know, the challenge every year, because it just enables me to help those especially those who might not have the funds, you know, to get this kind of like step by step guidance.
Speaker 2: And so that's my gift, the gift that keeps on giving.
Speaker 1: So just keep looking eye out for more information about the ATS, but it's always available. I think I live Richer Challenge dot com, but I don't think the credit edition is up just yet, So just keep an eye out. I'll be on the socials and things, but have an awesome high lay season and awesome new year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love y'all, honestly.
Speaker 4: See you next year.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, farewell, lovey. That's think