Speaker 1: Sabrina, Were you ever a bad enough kid to where you were threatened to be put in military school?
Speaker 2: I could actually say, no, oh that's good. Is that shock you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, I could see you being a good kid. I could see you being a good kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there wasn't a military school. There were some kids that would their families would take them up to Utah. There was like a big thing that they go to Utah, like of like a place in Utah they would go, But there was very close within our district, like a continuation school. And that wasn't that wasn't something that was decided on by you as like a parent or by your parents. It was like the school like if you failed out of a certain amount of.
Speaker 3: Classes, okay, it's like extra.
Speaker 2: School, truancy's tardiness like all that, like, like it was like a behavioral thing. But also I had to do a school. They would go to the continuation school that was in our area. And I remember that being something that like I was terrified to go. If I didn't get good grades, that's where I was going.
Speaker 1: I was like the boogeyman is like, if you don't get good grades, you're going to continuation school.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding, because it was like and there was you know, there was behavior problems there as well, and so it was like, you know, I was like.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't survive.
Speaker 2: The girls there, the guys there, they're all so much like tougher, and you know, that's just not where I'm from.
Speaker 1: That's why, the same reason I never break the law because I knew, I know, I wouldn't last a day in prison.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I wouldn't do it. Yep.
Speaker 1: So well, okay, well I guess the reason we're talking about this I think everybody knows by now.
Speaker 3: First of all, welcome back to Magical.
Speaker 1: Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your riends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves tsunamis, and Sabrina was not in continuation school.
Speaker 3: I'm Wilford Dell.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sabrina.
Speaker 3: Brian ten hunt A's front Maggots.
Speaker 1: The barracks better be spotless at oh five hundred hours, because we're falling in line. It's time to recap two thousand and two's military coming of age comedy Cadet Kelly.
Speaker 3: This is a fan favorite.
Speaker 1: This one was released March eighth, two thousand and two, and premier to a whopping seven point eight million viewers, mostly because it was the first movie to ever get the ABC treatment in the Wonderful World of Disney series, which pisses me off and makes no sense to me, because why can I watch this one but I can't watch My Date with the President's Daughter h double hockey stick. So maybe because it was also.
Speaker 3: A Disney Channel movie. Yeah, they the Wonderful disneyed I.
Speaker 2: Don't, okay, So you got to explain that a little bit more. It was, so it premiered on the Disney Channel or premiere I think it was.
Speaker 1: I think it was did both, frankly, I think it was, and it got the ABC Wonderful World of Disney treatment on a Saturday or Sunday night. But then I think was almost was also simultaneously a dcom which ours was not ours. Was just a Wonderful World a Disney movie, which is why I think you can watch Cadet Kelly and you can't watch anything else, much to my mother's chagrin.
Speaker 4: Yes, but the.
Speaker 1: Wonderf World of Disney series, that's obviously a big milestone and a successful debut by all accounts, no shock for anybody.
Speaker 3: This was filmed in Kenyata.
Speaker 1: Yes this was Kenyati and that's Canada for all the people up there in Canada by the way, but this marked the second one ever that was produced to our north and it was made specifically at two places. The most prominent was Robert Land Academy, which is a private military style boot camp in West Lincoln that closed last year. So over the years it had a share of controversies, but in December twenty twenty four everything came to a head when the school faced over fifty lawsuits for alleged physical and sexual abuse, only to rise to one hundred and twenty accusations by the end of the year. So it seems maybe Cadet Kelly was a rare bright spot for this location and thankfully forced them to close.
Speaker 3: The other notable.
Speaker 1: Location was Loretto Abbey Catholic Secondary School, Oh that's mouthful in Ontario. Founded in eighteen forty seven, The all girls school is highly regarded for his history and academics.
Speaker 3: And that one is still open.
Speaker 1: But to avoid stolen valor the actors in this movie, he worked with a military advisor named Lieutenant William T.
Speaker 3: Bates.
Speaker 1: He ruled with an iron fist apparently, and drill them in boot camp style situations, often having them rehearse complicated rifle drill routines. Pretty serious, and I think, frankly the authenticity worked watching the movie and since it's released, this movie has gained a large queer following based on the relationship between the two female main characters in the movie, a fact I don't get because I didn't see any chemistry between anyone in this film at all. And the fact that the supposed love interest storyline is absolutely never taken seriously.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even a love interest. It made no sense. We'll get into that.
Speaker 1: Keep that in mind when the Rainbow Blanket comes into play as well, though, because that's also an important thing. By the way, if you're gonna watch or listen to Magical Rewind today thinking hey, Will's gonna love kidek Kelly, turn it off now. I can tell you I didn't hate Candet Kelly, but I certainly didn't love.
Speaker 5: It this dcon in today we fight weekend, fight all day long.
Speaker 1: How about we fight about stuff that makes no sense and just throw it in the movie and then that's the movie. This dcom has had some legs over the years, mostly thanks to its recognizable Y two K friendly cast, and it drips of nostalgia, notably in the film's tagline.
Speaker 3: Too cool for rules, But as I.
Speaker 1: Said, it is not too cool to stream. Cadet Kelly is available right now in Disney Plus. You can check it out before or after our recap. We've heard both experiences are pretty enjoyable. It's a little like sitting in front or sitting in back of the roller coaster. The ri is going to be funn either way. It just depends on what you can handle and where you want the vomit to land.
Speaker 3: So just buckle up and hold on tight. You did you you knew about some I mean, this is one that even I knew about.
Speaker 2: So I was waiting for this one. This one was one that I loved. And I was at this point a senior year in high school when this one came out, and I again, you know, I was a Disney kid. I loved it. Didn't care that I was still watching Disney Channel original movies and doing all the things while I was in high school.
Speaker 3: I didn't care.
Speaker 6: But I for me too.
Speaker 2: A part of it was. I really loved watching you know, Christy Carls from Romano was one of my favorites to watch. I just thought like her comedic timing and everything was so awesome. Hillary Duff was the golden girl of the Channel at that time, so it was just like, you know, I that was to me looking at like, okay, not you know, somewhat studying them right, like, this is what you've got to be, this is what you gotta look like, how you how you implement characters, whatever, And Christy just freaking nails this out of the park. Watch her do this character all day and I almost felt like it was hilarious. When I was watching her on Armed Forces, she could tell Kelly I just had so many flashbacks, but she killed it. This movie was her to bottom one.
Speaker 3: Hundred percent agree with you.
Speaker 1: I'd obviously heard of this movie because I have Christy's a friend, I'd worked with her. We've talked about it. So everybody needs to hide their favorite blanket from home, because it's time for the synopsis. A fashion obsessed teen is forced to attend a strict military academy, where her free spirited attitude clashes with rigid discipline. But as she struggles to fit in, she finds confidence, friendship, and a new sense of purpose.
Speaker 3: So you liked it, this is early thoughts you did.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was an easy watch for me.
Speaker 2: It was I think, honestly, I'm one of those fans out there that listens to our podcast and I don't care about the flaws of this movie. It's I know, And it's not that I don't see them. It's not that I.
Speaker 3: Don't I just don't care.
Speaker 2: I just don't care. I literally just this body was And of course, even like watching the movement, I cringed at watching some of the movement. I know you're gonna ask me that later. We'll get into it later. But even that still I did back then, and I still just didn't care.
Speaker 6: Like I loved them as a duo.
Speaker 2: They were on the two biggest shows of the channel at that time. To see them together, I was like in all in And I was again watching it this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Christy was great. She was Christy was great.
Speaker 1: And Gary Cole you can never go wrong with Gary Coley's one of my favorite actors ever.
Speaker 3: He's awesome in this role.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I meant there was a lot of very the woman who played the mom will get into that. A lot of the cast very good. Some of the story no sense at all, Yes.
Speaker 2: But that I didn't remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Condet Kelly was directed by Larry Shaw.
Speaker 1: He is a veteran TV director with credits on twenty one, Jump Street, Great Show, Park Lewis, Can't Lose, Another great show, and an important TV show for this movie, Disney Channel's Lizzie McGuire. He was also an executive producer and director of the smash hit Desperate Housewives and the movie Stars a Disney Channel homegrown superstar Hillary Duff. She plays Cadet Kelly, and her big break was the show Lizzie MacGuire, a juggernaut for the student that would eventually become its own dcom, a movie we already recappedh I was like, oh, so the whole show is about her being a pop star, and You're like, Nope, never sang a note before the movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, Like all good Disney kids.
Speaker 1: She was also a pop star, releasing four albums between two thousand and two and two thousand and seven. While starring in movies like Agent Cody Banks, Cheaper by the Dozen, and The Cinderella Story. She most recently was on the TV show Younger and the failed spin off How I Met Your Father. But she is back in the spotlight right now for her new pop album Luck or Something, an unexpected return to singing alongside her husband, producer Matthew Koma. Also, Hillary is apparently part of a toxic mom group, but then again, who cares Hilariously Online it says that Duff was made an honorary Cadet by the Academy after filming Okay Cool and then We've Got My pal and former Magical Rewind guest Christy Carlson Romano as Jennifer. At the time, Christy was a Disney Channel star on the show Even Stevens, another sitcom that morphed into a d com.
Speaker 3: She also voiced.
Speaker 1: Kim Possible Kim on Disney alongside myself and some other people. I guess Christy is returning to a Disney adjacent project in production right now. It is the first ever Hallmark Disney collaboration holiday ever after a Disney wish come true, and it's nice to know that I was snubbed by both Disney and Hallmark at the same time. It is currently filming at the Park in Florida and starring Lacey Shaver and this will be fun and we have already committed to recapping it.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 1: Linda Cash plays Samantha, that's Kelly's mom. We know her from the dcom Full Court Miracle, a movie we recapped. Cash is also part of Christopher Guests Acting Company, appearing in Best in Show and Waiting for Gufman.
Speaker 3: She's awesome.
Speaker 1: Canadian local Andrea Lewis plays Carls. This is her first Disney dcom. She's most recognizable for her time on the TV series Degrassi The Next Generation, which I think is the only show they actually make in Canada. Every Canadian has been on some version of Degrassi.
Speaker 3: And then Amy Garcia is Sargeant Gloria.
Speaker 1: She's been on a lot of TV shows, including George Lopezant Dexter, but is known as the star of Lucifer And though I don't think we can officially put him in the Dabney Reynolds chair, but I think we can. We have Garry Cole credited as Sir Cole is a premier character actor, best known as the smug boss Bill Lumberg in the cult hit off The Space Yeah, that's not gonna work for me and Mike Brady in the hilariously Brady movies of the nineties, which were so much better than they had any right to be. But you've also seen him in Talladagon Knights. Okay, just listen to this. Leave him in like crazy awesome and this isn't the whole This is just some I'm sure Talladaga Knights, Dodgeball, Veep Entourage, Pineapple Express, and win a date with Tad Hamilton if that's not enough. He's also a prominent voice actor and another star of Kim Bossible. He voiced doctor James Timothy Possible, but could also be heard on Family Guy, Bob's, Burger's, Scooby Doo, and the movie Hop, just to name a few. Everybody loves Gary Cole, and for good reason. He is a legend, and he's awesome in this as well.
Speaker 3: Never been.
Speaker 1: He's one of those actors where you've never been like, you know, who wasn't good in this movie?
Speaker 3: Gary Cole. That's never been said in the history of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for real, every character he takes on is so he kills it.
Speaker 3: He kills it every time.
Speaker 6: Believable, like that He's been that person his whole money.
Speaker 3: Can be funny with it, he can be really mean with it. He can He's just awesome.
Speaker 1: And another familiar face, Sean Ashmore, is the honky love interest Brad, who was there for no reason whatsoever other than the people say, hey, there he got guys hunky, apparently because he had no storyline with anybody.
Speaker 3: Another good supposed factor be found online.
Speaker 1: It says that Ashmore spent three months at a military school and taking voice lessons to study for the role.
Speaker 3: Who knows if that's true, but let's pretend it is.
Speaker 1: Ashmore is best known as Bobby Drake aka Iceman and the X Man movies of the two thousands, but first broke out of the cult kids TV show Anamorphs.
Speaker 3: I think is what it's called. Do you know Anamorphs Sabrina? I have no idea.
Speaker 6: That does not seem like it would be in my wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: It's not either, but here was. So this was the synopsis of Anamorphs.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Five teenagers and an alien with the ability to turn into any beast they touch, versus an army of parasitic aliens who are slowly infult try Earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would definitely not.
Speaker 1: With dancing and singing. So now it's perfect for you. I guess it was a book series Lisa's okay. Yeah uh. Sean has been in a ton of movies and TV shows and can currently be seen on the ABC hit show The Rookie. Now, with all that out of the way, let's get down to brass tacks. How long is Cadet Kelly? Because you know that's all that matters. If you've listened to the show before.
Speaker 3: We're hoping for less than ninety minutes, or ninety minutes at the most. No more, no less.
Speaker 1: Cadet Kelly is one hundred and one minutes long. Come ony, way too long. The army demands precision. It's eleven over and you never like to see three digits and add that extra one at the end. Yuck. Terrible decision by everyone involved. There's no way of sugarcoating it. I wish I had a way.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: It's proud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, too long now, it's just it's not crap. It's just too long.
Speaker 1: And when it comes to it, by the way, again reiterating didn't hate this movie, but didn't love this movie.
Speaker 3: Everyone else is like kiddet Kelly, isn't the I love some of the performances.
Speaker 1: And when it comes to writers, we've got Gail Parent, a season TV writer who cut her teeth on some classics like Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, The Carol Burnett Show, and Golden Girls Three Juggernauts. But she's also a two time Emmy winner for the Tracy Olman led TV show Tracy takes On. But not a lot of movies On parents IMDb page, we've got The Main Events starring barbar streisand and Ryan O'Neil, Disney's Confessions of a Teenage Drama, Queen starring Lizzie Lohan, and this movie, And as is a common occurrence with d COM's To See, we shared a credit with a relative newcomer, and Cadet Kelly, of course, is no different.
Speaker 3: We've got Michael Walsh.
Speaker 1: His only credits are an episode of American Masters and Cadet Kelly and the narration parts for the nineteen ninety nine video version of the musical Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coade. The journalist slash author was mostly politically focused, writing for the San Francisco Examiner, the New York Times, Vanity Fair and many others. And now it's time for a st I'm at an obstacle course where recapping candet Kelly, we start off in the busy streets of New York City, landing in the New York Middle School of Arts, and I was like, oh wow, they're all twenty in middle school. Students are all over the quad. So did you think they look middle school age? Do you think that she looks middle school age?
Speaker 3: No? These are fairly high schoolers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but young, young freshman, sophomore.
Speaker 3: But this is not a seventh grader. No, it's not. Okay.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Students are all over the quad, some painting, some playing the bongos. Other ribbon dancing, which is our main character, is doing right now, and Kelly is happily participating.
Speaker 3: Have you ever ribbon danced.
Speaker 2: Like officially or like by myself?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, first of all, give me a second to picture you ribbon dancing alone in your home?
Speaker 3: Yes, I love well?
Speaker 2: No, okay, so officially no, oh no, no one.
Speaker 3: I was never taught, but you taught ribbon dancer.
Speaker 2: I am a self taught Olympic ribbon ym night, and I will tell you that's one of the first things. I don't remember it because I wasn't really super young when I started dancing. I was like seven, versus Miniro started at two. Her first class, they put that little stick with the ribbon on the end of it, put put on Frozen.
Speaker 6: Homegirl was in her element.
Speaker 3: Actually which frozen? Did they put on? Let It Go?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, and just I mean you could when the song ended, she was like devastated.
Speaker 3: I'm devastated every time that song ends. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, ribbon dancing, like what they were doing in that quad was what I think a lot of girls have done, like in their home and whatever. Actual ribbon dancing looks very hard, learning the skill of it versus just flipping it around and doing a cartwell and pulling your leg up and trying.
Speaker 3: To very strange. But you were good at it, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Olympic I was of gold medal every time.
Speaker 1: Of course, every time, Kelly It turns out as our narrator, and she tells us that some stories just need to be told.
Speaker 3: She just didn't know that meant her memoir. As they finished their ribbon routine, Kelly's best friend Amanda announces the routine's name Dance of Family.
Speaker 1: Their teacher loves it now because of course they're not actually teaching anything in the school, it seems like. And ask Kelly how her personal family project is going. She's making a video documentary called La Familia and very excited with its direction. And that's when she spots her vest wearing dad. He's walking by with a cameraon hand, snapping a shot, and then mid filming, he just falls off of a wall. I was like, Oh, he's going to be a clumsy guy. Okay, cool, love it, love clumsy.
Speaker 2: Clumsy's funny.
Speaker 3: Well again, I was just like, all right, no, it's Disney I get it. Clumsy's funny.
Speaker 2: And instantly this first scene instantly draws you into this is a Disney chair original movie.
Speaker 6: This is a world for young for young kids.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And that's where we're going, and starts from absolutely it's funky. Her hair from the start. Okay, she's not an average kid. She's a kid that wears blue hair. Like it's like that had blue hair. I didn't even notice that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. She does.
Speaker 2: Through the whole time she's in New York. She has like colored like pieces in her hair.
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Now, after school, Kelly has turned the tables and is filming her dad, an international photojournalist, about to leave on a long work trip. He's also going to like three of the most dangerous places in the world. He's like, I'm going to the Sudan and Chad and he's naming like all these places that weren't safe at the time. They keep in touch during his adventures through a dedicated cell phone. She explains that her parents are divorced and sometimes that's lonely for her dad, but she's helping him still have a terrific time. The father daughter duo stopped for a dirty water hot dog, which is still the best part of New York, and she successfully hails a trio of taxis after her dad was unsuccessful.
Speaker 3: And I didn't understand this.
Speaker 1: Are we supposed to think that she's a hot middle schooler, which is why the three taxis screamed to a halt.
Speaker 2: No, it's like he's not able to call a taxi, but she can't. She's like the like obvious, like great New Yorker that can okay hail a taxi, which by the way, is like a real thing. I go to New York with Keehley and she just like instantly gets a taxi. It takes me twenty minutes. I'm like, okay, oh no, sorry, sorry, I didn't know you were still busy. Oh so sorry, oh oh oh ah, let's just walk and Keeley's like, no, let's get a taxi.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, that that creeped me out. Okay, good, I'm glad it's not that.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, it was like she's she's the one that's like responsible, she can get stuff done.
Speaker 1: Great, loves by that all day, thank god. Now, in a penthouse home office, Kelly films her mom talking to somebody about a twelve hundred page contract. It looks like her parents still get along, which is nice, and apparently filming is the most dangerous activity in the world because Kelly accidentally then bumps into a fish bowl, crashing it to the floor. And this is where like, okay, so they're setting the dad up as a bumbling goof and she has some of his bumbling qualities, which obviously are going to transfer, you know, transfer with her into the the military academy. Spoiler art, they don't at all, all of a sudden, perfectly coordinated after so they built this whole.
Speaker 3: Thing up like, Oh, she's bumbling, She's in yep, Nope, never comes back again.
Speaker 1: After letting the audience know all the fish have survived, Kelly's mom suggests she slows down a little, but Kelly's dad explains, you must feel art. You can tell these two opposite ways of thinking are probably what broke up the marriage.
Speaker 3: But then the doorbell rings. It's her mom's boyfriend.
Speaker 1: We hear some sexy music and she pulls him into the apartment and starts making out with him with her child the next husband behind her, which I thought was very odd. Kelly films the action, which makes it even odder, revealing that this is the first man she's been with since the divorce. And again, video cameras are somehow dangerous as guns, because Kelly then pokes him in the nose with the lens and he starts bleeding all over the place. Yeah again, remember how bumbling she is, because it's never gonna come back again. Later, at dinner with the date all bandes up, Kelly continues to say whatever she's thinking, announcing that she thinks her mom is in love. It creates an awkward moment, but tonight is actually a celebration. Her mom and this man have an announcement they're getting married this summer. Kelly looks rattled, but recovers and eventually gives her blessing. She knows he's a great guy and he obviously loves her mom, but she doesn't know what to call him. He suggests either his name Joe or maybe sir. She decides to go with sir and suggests he loosens up a little if he's going to be a part of their family.
Speaker 3: This is where.
Speaker 5: She was just starting to annoy me. Yeah, the character's just kind of annoying. I think she was supposed to be throughout the whole movie.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, uh, she gets.
Speaker 3: Better the last five to seven minutes.
Speaker 2: Yes, it gets better, But I think that was like she's like a she she just talks and says whatever she thinks. She's like annoying. She's like a real freshman in high school the eighth grade, who like kind of just says whatever they that comes to their head. I will say in anything. When I was watching it, I was going, Wow, she's actually kind of a cool kid, because it's like you usually see in these movies moms getting married. Oh, I hate him.
Speaker 3: She's very supportive.
Speaker 2: So she's so supportive in that sense, very supportive, And it's when I started to remember and watched it again. The storyline of talking about a mixed family is what I started to really like love about this movie and all the way through the end of showing that two families can combine, it can be loving, it can be still a great sense of support. They can you know what I mean, Like, you know the great things about having a mixed family. So that's where I started going, She's cool, Like we don't we rarely see kids characters reacting.
Speaker 1: To a reism very much a role with it kind of person which which is?
Speaker 3: Which is which?
Speaker 1: That part I agree with you one hundred percent because you know spoiler we talk about it later. But when her mom then says I'm pregnant, she's like really supportive of it, yes, and trying to be supportive with sir and no, I get all that.
Speaker 2: No Christmas in this kid's body, no selfishness.
Speaker 6: Like that part is the part of the character that I really like.
Speaker 2: But I do think that like she is playing this very young too, very young, and the script is allowing it to be played very young.
Speaker 3: Which I would have had her play her age a little more.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that part of the annoy of the young part is that annoying younger kid that doesn't know when when to talk and when.
Speaker 3: To like, she nailed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, at bedtime, Kelly's mom explains to her daughter that the marriage will beneficial for both of them, and she reiterates she loves Sir. But once left alone, it's obvious that Kelly is affected, as any kid would be. It's another day in the busy streets in New York, now, just a day away from the wedding, which I was like, wow, that's quick. Kelly's mom and Sir have picked up the dress after a big day of shopping, and Sir is in his military uniform. This is where we learn he's a retired general. Sir puts his soon to be wife in a taxi and tells her not to forget the plan for tomorrow. She admits she hasn't told Kelly yet, but she will today and has promised. While the mother and daughter are trying on makeup, she reveals that Sir has a new job, one he's always wanted. But and here's the bad part, they'll have to move upstate. She's gonna quit her job and become a homemaker. Kelly can't believe what she's hearing, and honestly, her mom doesn't seem totally confident either. How can they move and she's moving schools? This is obviously a lot to take in. Sir Will be the principle of a new school, but he's even more than a principal. He's a commandant because it's a military school, and man, that's a big change, you know, like with uniforms where they march together. Kelly's having a panic attack right in the middle of Manhattan, rightfully, so she swears she isn't going and suggests they go alone, or she moves in with Amanda, but her mom explains families don't.
Speaker 3: Leave anyone behind.
Speaker 1: Now, back at home, Kelly tells her friend a man, of the bad news. She's adamant. She's gonna hate it because as an art student, she can't even imagine sitting at desks. The school she's in doesn't have a single desk, which is weird.
Speaker 2: School that she's at.
Speaker 1: Is just God's Yeah, I agreed, this is the yeah, this is oh, this is a great idea. Military school is perfect they're both so disgusted that this is the exchange they give right here, no, yes, out of context, that sounds really creepy. And as Kelly packs her luggage, she makes it clear she is not going, and then we get an optical flip our favorite. We're at George Washington Military Academy, established in eighteen eighty two, and she definitely went.
Speaker 3: She had to go.
Speaker 1: Soldiers are everywhere, rifles are being twirled, and one high ranking officials even yelling at some students. And you could tell right as they're painting through everybody that this was an actual military school. You can tell these are some students that knew the rifles, knew what they were doing.
Speaker 3: This is clearly shot at a place. It was great. Yeah, very loved. Yeah, the great background, you tell what was going on.
Speaker 1: Really, it wasn't like, oh, we're just gonna pick a random high school and put some extras in.
Speaker 2: The gun in somewhere.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, they did.
Speaker 1: That several times in this movie where it was like, wow, these this is good. So yeah, the soldiers are everwhere, rifles are being twirled, and one high rank officials even yelling at some students. Kelly arrives dressed like if Madonna and Rainbow Bride had had a baby. She lugs around a huge piece of luggage and wonders where she can get a Cafe mocha. And at first I thought this was a mistake because we hadn't had her voice over.
Speaker 3: In a while. So all of a sudden, she's standing.
Speaker 1: There and she's like, where can I get a Cafe Mocha? And I'm like, her lips didn't move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I did the same thing. I thought the same thing. I also, this is when it clicked. This character's not far off from Lizzie McGuire. And when they're doing the voiceover even more, it's because she had that cartoon, remember, and that in this in the movie. Yeah, in the movie too, but in the show. Yeah, that was her like thought process was the cartoon and when her voiceover and I'm like, this voiceover is really it's starting to bug me because it made me it reminded me too much of Lizzie McGuire.
Speaker 1: I've heard that actually one of our producers as well, that it was this was essentially just her character from Lizzy McGuire in a military uniform like this could have been Lizzie McGuire presents cadet Kelly, but I've never seen anything but where she was playing the Italian girl too, with the American accent that.
Speaker 2: We can't we cannot go back there.
Speaker 3: You can't move it's we must move forward. We must move forward. Yes.
Speaker 1: She sticks out like a sore thumb and catches the attention of another girl who looks very proper and feels important. Kelly eventually spots her stepdad, who's clearly a very big deal at the school. She then arrives at the barracks and it immediately greeted with strange looks and whispers from fellow students.
Speaker 3: She takes a seat in her bed and meets.
Speaker 1: Carla, who promises she'll end up liking the school even if they have Captain Stone as a squad leader. Again, apparently, Captain Stone has killed seven campers already and three more are expected to die. I'm kidding the box and exactly they just disappear. Apparently Captain Stone is the meanest sixteen year old in America, and like some dude named Brad, the best looking guy round. Kelly unpacks her personal rainbow blanket and Carla warns her that everything, absolutely, everything has to be by the book, but Kelly insists she's keeping her individuality.
Speaker 3: Let's see how that works out.
Speaker 1: And then we hear aloud tint the girl's rank and file as a pair of combat boots walk the line. Kelly is still in bed, focused on her colorful blanket, unaware she should be at attention, and again totally fair.
Speaker 3: She doesn't know what the hell's going on.
Speaker 1: It's Captain Stone and she looks pissed. The cadet major runs to Kelly's bed and snatches the blanket. Kelly is close behind. What does this girl think she's doing? They exchange words, and the Captain stomps on the blanket with her boot. Kelly is now on her list and she's a maggot. I remember that because it's said over and over and.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And again this was where I was like, Oh, she's going to change the school. That's why she's there. She's going to turn it around. All the girls are going to start to become individuals and start to you know, shoot against the system, and they're all gonna have blankets.
Speaker 3: Nope, none of that happens either. They're all good.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I figured they're all gonna have like, you know what, I got this. I've been hiding that I wanted, waiting for the scene, Like I've been hiding this. My dad gave me this, and I've been hiding. Oh you know, my sister gave me this, and I've been hiding. Nope, never happened. She's going to change the school and then conforms perfectly. The next morning, we hear the bugle wake up call and it scares Kelly right out of bed.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: With now, thank you with now, every student properly dressed in at attention, Kelly joins late, shirt on, tucked bracelets, and a handkerchief still on. Captain Stone announces the day's schedule and Kelly is baffled by military time, forcing her into another face to face with Captain Stone. By the way, if you're ever weirded out by military time, no matter what number you hear, just subtract twelve. It's true, fourteen hundred hours. So what time would fourteen hundred hours be?
Speaker 3: Two? There you go, Just subtract twelve. Easiest thing in the world. I grew up with my dad and being in the Navy.
Speaker 1: My dad loved all the military stuff, so we would always hear like, I'll pick you up at twenty one thirty.
Speaker 3: You got it? So my god, he'd do it with a smile on his face. But that's he just loved the military time.
Speaker 2: I hate. That would have been my best excuse to never be on time. I didn't understand anybody. You mean you said you were picking me up at twenty one thirty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the military time is not the correct time to explain to me, I.
Speaker 2: Please, sir.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, she's once again called a maggot, which happens all the time. And when the new cadet tries to salute her superior, Kelly's bracelets and hats go flying, and just as Captain Stone is about to flip out, Carla asked for permission to speak. The kind soul volunteers to help you at Kelly and will now be in charge of teaching the maggot all the rules. I thought it was very sweet of her, and you'd like this character right off the bat, right off, and Carlo's first lesson for Kelly and listen two things the city girl has never mastered. Now touring the campus, Karla teaches Kelly all about rank and greetings, leading the Nubie to just salute everyone she passes, which is not how you do it. They skirt by Captain Stone, who appears much more vulnerable. She's nervous to go talk to her crush, Hatty Brad, who is training nearby. Even Kelly thinks he's the cutest boy she's ever seen. He looks like a rock star, and she would know because she's been close to en Sync. But Captain Stone will for sure be with him at Friday Night's Welcome Back dance. Kelly loves the idea of a dance too, especially because they can wear real clothes there.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, this is where I was like, what's happening.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Captain Stone is building up the courage to bump into Brad and mention the dance. It started with the girl saying, oh, and I'm sure she's going to be with Brad again this year, So she's nervous to go up to her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think they were in a relationship. I think they just went to the dance together. But like, nothing's progressed, which should tell.
Speaker 3: But that's not what they said in the beginning.
Speaker 1: She said right away, Oh, I'm sure she's gonna be with Brad again this year, not going to the dance with Bread again this year. She said, we've got her again, and I'm sure she's gonna be with Brad and he's just the hottest guy in school.
Speaker 3: So they set it up like they're dating.
Speaker 1: And then I'm like, wait, okay, so she's too nervous to go and talk to her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought they were just gonna go together anyway.
Speaker 1: It didn't make any sense because she wants to bump into him to mention the dance.
Speaker 3: But Kelly is cruising for a bruise, and so she.
Speaker 1: Makes a bee line for Brad to beat Captain Stone to the punch.
Speaker 3: For what reason, It's just.
Speaker 2: Came to the dance. I thought she was like, all right, I'm gonna beat you to it. I'm gonna go and and put my name on the table. How about how about Kelly?
Speaker 3: How about.
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: I'm Lizzy. You can hear me talking.
Speaker 2: It's like, don't do anything. Well, missed opportunity girl.
Speaker 1: Kelly salutes him just seconds before his superior. Brad salutes back, but is very confused, as as was I. Kelly smugly grins at Captain Stone, who as a result isn't rage, So she's now just actively trying to piss off the good woman in charge. Maybe maybe it was just a get back for the blanket stunt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's not even like a good one.
Speaker 1: It's not like you did anything sly where you can get away with it. You just openly poked her in the eye, right, It's like, why would you do this?
Speaker 2: So, however, these are the moments that I remember loving it was the two Disney Channel stars battling it out like their little walks and they're looking at each other like they like they did these so well, this is the funny stuff that I did, absolutely love it, But this is watching it again.
Speaker 1: But that's a writing thing to me, because then all you do is you say, I bet you she's gonna try to ask Brad out again. My god, she hasn't gotten up the courage to ask him out in three years something like that. So when it is the two of them going, then it's it makes more sense because this one was It's just like she's dated this guy, or they've gone to the dance a bunch of times, but she's too scared to talk to him.
Speaker 3: So now Lizzie McGuire jumps in and talk to him like it didn't. Yeah, it didn't.
Speaker 1: It was just a writing thing for me, not an acting thing. It was not even a story thing. It was just a straight up writing thing. It didn't make any sense. But anyway, now in math class, at least she's learning real things at a desk, Kelly arrives late and is again the center of unwanted attention. Then later in history class, Kelly continues to baffle when she finds it necessary to stand up and announce she's a conscient subjector to war, which obviously would not go over well at.
Speaker 3: A military school.
Speaker 1: And then back at the barracks, the girls are talking about their dresses for the dance, something finally Kelly can connect with. Carlo seems interested in the event, but pulls away from engaging, and she it was a little much the way they had her play this sometimes, where it was like there was nothing subtle about the time she turns and walks away, like you know, she does it later when she realizes she's not friends, it's like it's very heavy handed, but yes, but also.
Speaker 2: Like we never really get any true backstory of what she's actually talking about.
Speaker 3: She didn't you're just not a dress a family of a home life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like like I'm like, is she later on we taught we hear what this is the scene I think where we hear like she's she just that's not what she was able to do. And it's like, but like what why.
Speaker 3: Is it right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Give us something you know?
Speaker 2: Is your is your family too far away to be able to go see them?
Speaker 6: Or is it that you're like an organ like I would like to I need a.
Speaker 2: Little bit more. I want I like this character one one of my favorites. I need a little bit more is something I felt was missing for sure?
Speaker 3: Agreed one hundred uh.
Speaker 1: When Kelly sees her friend new friends unexpected reaction, she decides to ask her. On a walk on the track that Kelly learns about the schools decorated and storied drill Team, a cornerstone of the institution. They also bump into Sir on the way home, and Kelly says they're on their way to their house to pick out dresses for the dance. He adorably suggests they pick up something nice. Were you now the first time you saw it? This is my first time?
Speaker 3: Were you?
Speaker 1: Was there any part of you that thought he was going to turn out to be a really good guy and a good dad. I thought they were going to go straight up Disney Channel where he was going to be like the rigid sir.
Speaker 3: They were never going to get along. Maybe at the end something was going to happen. They were, but not like this to what they did with the character.
Speaker 6: No, I I yes, that's how I figured.
Speaker 2: He was just going to be kind of a jerk, like somebody you know, and like kind of broke her dad. It was going to be the person that broke her down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I were a caricature of the commandant of a school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I thought it was going to be. Too. Yeah, very very pleasantly surprised with what they I don't.
Speaker 2: Remember like really loving him that much, but watching this back, I was like, Oh, like he's really trying. He's trying to figure it out. He's not trying to be like just too much. He's just he's in an awkward position. Maybe they should have thought about it, given it a little bit more time before they did this, But like, I mean, we're going to go past that because it's the movie. But he seems like a really.
Speaker 6: Great guy like trying, trying.
Speaker 1: This is the first inclination that he's like a normal guy, and I was like, Okay, he is trying.
Speaker 3: This is cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I really liked how they did that with a character, because they easily could have just made him a jerk the whole way through, done the straight up Disney Channel kind of caricature of the stern general, and they didn't.
Speaker 3: They they gave him some depth. And then you cast Gary Cole, which.
Speaker 2: Is it seems more like a STU character, right, Yeah, agree loves to have like a good dad.
Speaker 3: Ye, good good dad. In the video, I agree in the video.
Speaker 1: In the movie yeah, and this is of course yes where she reveals that the commandant is her stepdad, so Carla is the first to know.
Speaker 3: Carla's just telling Captain Stone for brownie points.
Speaker 1: But Kelly and Sis she fights her own battles. Now at home and looking through outfits, Kelly's mom rushes into me Carla. It seems like the former businesswoman is trying her hardest to become a housewife, but the journey's been a little rough. As Kelly picks a dress, she wonders if there might be a feminine side to military life after all, and we get another quick optical flip where she falls face first into the mud during morning drills.
Speaker 3: While she struggles, however, Hottie Brad.
Speaker 1: Is dominating the obstacle course, and when Kelly wants to give up, Captain Stone is right there to call her a maggot and unsuccessfully command her to repel down a rope.
Speaker 3: Later, the troops have now lined up for the end of the day.
Speaker 1: The dance is just hours away, but Cadet Kelly is still stuck on the obstacle course, unable to climb down from a wall. She even tries to order a Caesar salad from Captain Stone, but Kelly does finally slide down, crashing to the floor, but she's not finished yet. Captain Stone says she'll need to keep doing the course until she gets it right and probably miss the dance. Captain Stone also knows that Sir is her stepdad and just doesn't care. Kelly acknowledges she's been outplayed and jumps right back into the course just as it begins to rain. That's when Sergeant Gloria Ramos, another awesome character, has taken over for Stone, and this girl apparently hates dances or anything fun. But somehow Kelly eventually connects with Ramos, but it still takes long time for her to properly finish the course.
Speaker 3: This is a nightmare. But also I still find her annoying. I do.
Speaker 1: Sorry, It's just my least favorite character. Unfortunately, the entire thing was the lead character. I liked everyone they surrounded her with, but.
Speaker 3: She just kind of annoyed me.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this is another character where if somebody had told me that they actually cast somebody from a military school who knew what they were doing, I would have thought it was Gloria Raymonds. Yes, she's really good at this role. And I was like, oh, I think she has some kind of history with.
Speaker 6: This right, Oh my gosh, that's so true.
Speaker 3: I was right there. She was absolutely great.
Speaker 1: Eventually she's dismissed for the dance, but then accidentally rolls down a muddy hill for fourteen minutes.
Speaker 3: It's the longest hill in the world.
Speaker 1: They have the dance at the bottom of Everest, and she just rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls, rolls and rolls, and the mud eventually crashing right through the venue's entrance. The wild chain of events ends with a very muddy Kelly Bear hugging Captain Stone and ruining her white gown, who she has to get through forty two people just to find as she rolls in. The entire school laughs as they mud wrestle, ending in a big clause and a smile from Brad equips there's someone who knows how to get down and dirty. And now it's starting to feel a little bit like Carrie remember that movie. So I don't know if this is supposed to be funny or it's supposed to be bullying who were supposed to feel bad for. But this whole setup was weird.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just feel like it was again just like a Disney out of this, like just going into the comedy. Yep, I don't really feel like to me, I feel like the person who would have done this. I guess I'm gonna go ahead and take the beating from the fans. But had this been Christie's role to do it, it would have come across. I would have been peen in my pants laughing this role. Yeah, Like to me, like Hillary Dues like comedy, like wasn't isn't that over the top? Like super what is it physical physical, Yeah, it's like like Christy would have.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also I'm laughly just thinking about her face in the way she just like goes like one hundred and fifty into stuff like that. I think it would have been a funnier moment that is not being that was kind of like it was funny. It was funny, it was Disney, but it would have been It could have just been so much bigger.
Speaker 1: I also don't blame the actors for for any of this, because they needed a better setup to her then rolling through the open door and then literally running another fifty or sixty feet without being able to stop. Have her slide on marble, have Christy closer to the front door, I mean something to get help the actors out a little bit just from a staging standpoint, because the bit would have worked a lot better. Oh yeah, had it been directed better. And that wasn't on either Lizzie or Yeah. Yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 3: That I don't blame them for that.
Speaker 1: It just they that could have been directed better to Yeah again, have her slide.
Speaker 2: Better, like like set up within the set would have been.
Speaker 1: She literally had to get through like half the crowd to even get to and then you're like, is she doing that on purpose?
Speaker 3: Because then she is just kind of a yes, I don't get what's going on.
Speaker 2: There's no way you didn't catch yourself or at least just fall flat on the ground by the time you got to her. So yeah, so she looked a little bit more like you're just like, you're now targeting a girl in a white dress too, of all beings, like the whitest of white dresses, perfectly clear, like you're targeting her versus.
Speaker 1: Ever fall in front of her and as she slips and falls, mud splashes.
Speaker 3: Up onto the white dress as opposed to like grabbing her. Just yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: If it was to show there was a lot of people, That's why it would have been so embarrassing, But that's an easy you fleece the camera to the rest of the hall that's filled with people. So yeah, it just kind of was a miss because it could have been like a just insanely.
Speaker 3: Super funny yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 6: But instead it just was yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The following cadet, Kelly pays for her muddy mistake, though when she's called into Sirr's office, he's disappointed. In her first week, Yes, she's only been there a week, and she continues to be clueless, lacking any self awareness. In the process, Sir explains that uniformity and service is what the school strives for, and with that, he sends her home. She dejectedly walks back to the house. And this is when I just noticed how small Hillary Duff actually is. She looks like a five year old wearing a Halloween costume. She's like a little kid.
Speaker 3: In this scene, she.
Speaker 1: Calls her dad on that which is the first time I was like, oh, maybe she is cast at the right age, because at first she seemed too old, now she seems too young.
Speaker 3: She calls, You're never gonna make me happy.
Speaker 1: She calls her dad on the cell phone and leaves a voice message admitting she's having a very hard time, but not to worry about her. She decides she'll tell her mom they need to go back to New York and the city because they're in upstate. Once home, Kelly sits with her mom, but before she can get a word out, and even bigger bomb is dropped. Her mom is pregnant. Kelly is somewhere between excited and shocked, but they profess their love for one another, and it's a nice moment. In the end, Kelly's a very sweet girl because as annoying as I find her, exactly what you were saying, Sabrina, she rolls with it. She is supportive, flis and very family oriented.
Speaker 2: Y yes, she put I mean even just finding this new friend at instantly finding like feeling some kind of vibe that maybe she doesn't have a dress. Let's go to my house. I've got a bunch of us. You can pick whichever one, even when the dresses like the girls. Carl was like, no, you pick first. She's like, oh no, that's not any fun for me. You pick?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What like the sweetest, sweetest.
Speaker 1: Sweetest, I would say she is a slightly annoying character with a very good heart. I think that's fair. I think that's fair. Now, I think that's fair. To soften the blow, Kelly has given a paint set to create paintings for the baby's room. It's all smiles and laughs, but Kelly still has some bad news for her mom. But instead of demanding the move, she pivots last minute and just talks about how good of a friend.
Speaker 3: Carla has become.
Speaker 1: Then Sir arrives at home and congratulates Kelly on becoming a big sister. He offers her a handshake like he just sold her a car. Kelly quickly realizes Sir isn't exactly dad material yet, so now making Sir more fatherly is added of her.
Speaker 3: List of things to accomplish. And this is where everything just.
Speaker 1: Starts to get jumbled in this movie for me again, completely from a writing standpoint, Yes, she's now got fifty two things that she's supposed to be doing. Some of them are followed through, some of them aren't. But it's like, what is this movie about? Is this movie about a girl from New York City moving and joining a military academy and having to learn to conform because that's what she does. Yes, it's not about I'm going to change this school and everybody's going to start to be more like me, because that's not what happens. She becomes more like everybody else. I've got to turn.
Speaker 3: So that's one thing.
Speaker 1: One of her missions is I'm going to change this school to be more like me. One of her missions is her dad, her stepdad, has got to become more fatherly. Then we get into the whole thing about now she's a big part of the drill team.
Speaker 2: Well, we're skipping ahead.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, I'm just saying though, it's like so many freaking things the change.
Speaker 2: Fo yeah, yeah, and we've already gotten like she's mentioned a bunch of times, like I have to do everything, Like she's got this, Like with her dad, I have to take care of it. I have to get the taxi. I have to keep him in line, keep him organized or whatever it is, Like she has to like maintenance her dad in his life. She's already got that. She has to keep her mom happy with the new life that she's doing. She's got all these things, which I guess is kind of what kids sort of feel like when they're coming of age, like they're taking on these responsibilities.
Speaker 1: Some But I don't you know, I don't know if most twelve year olds are like I have to keep my family together and I have to do this and I have to have my new stepdad.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of families. I mean, again, you and I couldn't relate because we didn't grow up with any kind of you know, tear within the family household.
Speaker 1: But do you think it's on the twelve year old kids they feel like they have to keep the family together.
Speaker 2: I think that a lot of kids out there and when they're like this is like a like it's not like the beginning of the divorce. The divorce has happened, it's been a while. The parents are co parenting very well, but this is a change, and when change happens, kids take a lot of that change on themselves.
Speaker 1: You could be on right, you're you're right, we you and I don't know what that's like. So it could, yeah, could one hundred percent be that I have no, I don't know. It seemed like but it just seemed like from a story.
Speaker 2: It's a writing point, like where are we going? What is the goal?
Speaker 3: What's the mission? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I need a mission.
Speaker 3: What's the movie I need?
Speaker 2: I need it?
Speaker 3: Captain Yeah? Mission?
Speaker 1: What is the movie about? But anyway, so yes. The next morning, she's woken by the trumpet once again. Uh, and though she's at attention for Captain Stone this time, her rainbow blanket is still peeking out of the bed. As punishment, Captain Stone rips it into pieces and you'll be shocked to hear. With tears in Kelly's eyes, she calls her a maggot.
Speaker 3: That night, Kelly can't sleep.
Speaker 1: She's not gonna just let somebody bully her, so she decides to pull out her paints and sneak into Captain Stone's bedroom. And now the next morning, Captain Stone enters the barracks while the entire back of her head somehow got painted in the middle of the night without waking her up. It's rock hard and everyone's laughing. The Captain screams, and it's more again like carry if you ask me. We are now back on the obstacle course Cadet. Kelly is showing some progress. She repels down this time, but unfortunately Captain Stone is waiting for her with court martial papers. She knows Kelly painted her hair and now she's.
Speaker 3: Going to pay for it.
Speaker 1: Back at home, Sir breaks the news to his wife. Kelly will appear in cadet court. The students will decide if she's guilty, and then Sir will decide the punishment. This puts him in a very difficult position. He wanted this job his entire life, and he's not just going to lose it by taking it easy on his stepdaughter. Kelly overhears the conversation and cries. Her Mom suggests apologizing in court, Kelly reminds her she's never asked to move.
Speaker 3: Here and then runs off crying again.
Speaker 1: When now we're in Cadet court, Stone is listing off in fractions to the jury, which is run.
Speaker 3: By hot Bread.
Speaker 1: She exposes the painted hair and Kelly's lawyer, Carla pulls out that the paint wash out, and once argument so done, that jury deliberates before Kelly can even apologize, and within second she's found guilty and so now she's off to Serve's office for a punishment. He then sentences her to the drill team. She'll become equipment manager and this is Cadet Kelly's worst case scenario. She oversees not only the uniforms in the boots, also the rifles starting Monday. I was impressed by the decision. However, it now becomes another movie again. Yes, it's like we're like a half hour into this movie, thirty five minutes into this movie, and now we're gonna get to the step up part part.
Speaker 2: I think we're longer than that, That's what I'm saying. We're like hitting forty forty five minutes. We're like really half way.
Speaker 1: And now all of a sudden, it's a whole nother part of the whole new thing where the thing she hated and couldn't believe now she's completely conforming and she wants to be a part of this thing.
Speaker 2: And by the way, during the time of this movie, while it's getting rolled out, the marketing, the like commercials and things like that on the channel is all about the guns and the like, yeah of this, And it's like, besides getting walking by a team that's practicing, we've gotten none of this. We've got none of the like I don't know what they necessarily call this.
Speaker 3: Actual drill drill team, it's.
Speaker 2: The drill team, but like the actual like the flipping of the right thing or whatever, that is what they have sold us as audiences. Then that's what I'm looking for. And I'm waiting for the competition. And I really like, nowhere near inside.
Speaker 3: That's what That's what I'm saying. It's like that make it about that. I want to see more of the competition.
Speaker 1: I want to see more of her finding this micro world we've talked about, right, and that kind of thing. And I'm now forty five minutes in, I'm like, oh, now this is gonna be the.
Speaker 3: Movie, like they just changed the movie again.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like, okay, now this Now she's got to conform even more to be part of this and so yeah, okay. So, as Kelly leaves, her dad calls from the jungle. She fills him in on everything, but he's not even listening. Once again, he falls while taking a picture. This is very confusing the scene for me. Is he a bad dad? Why is this in cclude?
Speaker 3: Why is this there?
Speaker 1: You didn't need this, It just this is one of the things you could have cut out to get closer to time. The dad isn't there right now. He said he was gone, have a phone called do whatever. Leave the message, But you don't need to cut to him falling again. This man can't stand on his feet while he's taking a picture.
Speaker 3: It's really weird.
Speaker 2: Also, it's like so unbelievable that he's in like the Safari or wherever he's actually supposed to be, like the way they did. Okay, it didn't look good.
Speaker 1: The next morning, Kelly reports to drill team and immediately starts shining boots. While she's hard at work, she's singing creative songs about Captain Stone and then Hot Brand and walks in and shows her how to actually shine the shoes.
Speaker 3: Uh. Yeah, I didn't know. That's why they called it a bit shine.
Speaker 2: I don't know, But.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this was flirty. I didn't find chemistry. I don't think he likes either of these two girls. I didn't find chemistry between any of them.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why people in the queer community love this so much, is because the best chemistry in the movie, if you want to call it flirty, does come between the two girls.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, you know, see that.
Speaker 6: But the chemistry and the.
Speaker 3: Yea, that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: There's some kind of something which then progresses to them doing their.
Speaker 3: Kind of dance.
Speaker 1: I mean it's more than with Brad, who it's really weird, like.
Speaker 2: You said, kind of an unnecessary character her to just be like some type of hattie if yeah, just me.
Speaker 1: Why do they have to put They didn't have to make him, they didn't have to give them a love interest. Just make him the drills like the other drill sergeant. He's Captain Stone's boss kind of thing. Yeah, but we're now drill practice that Kelly observes the team just two weeks from their next meet their first step to regionals, and Kelly's actually starting to see the beauty and drill. She notices similarities to ballet. Later, Kelly convinces Carla to help manage the equipment and admits that her home story is even harder than boot camp, so Kelly invites her over for dinner and a sleepover on Friday night. The next day, the two girls are shining shoes when Hot Brad enters again. Kelly jumps at him for attention, but Captain Stone immediately pulls him away to practice. Now left alone cadet, Kelly is starting to practice with the rifle because this is how she's going to change the school to become more like her is by conforming to everything they do. This sport is growing on her. And now it's the day the big George Washington Invitational tournament and Rahway enters the gym and the second they walk in, I'm like, this is a real team doing a real thing.
Speaker 3: Like they're incredible.
Speaker 1: They're very intimidating, especially because Captain Stone is already having some issues with their uniform. But guess who's there to save the day. The newly amazing equipment manager Kelly.
Speaker 2: Who slightly annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, slightly annoying Kelly, slightly annoying, Condet Kelly reporting for duty, Sir, who now is taking your job very seriously.
Speaker 3: Sir notices and is impressed.
Speaker 1: And now the competition has begun, which feels a lot like West Side Story, but with ammunition. The team's march and shot at each other, then starts swinging their rifles. George Washington goes first and has an impressive but predictable showing. Then it's Rawway's turn and they start with a ton of dancing, which for some reason, Wow's Brad and the crew, And when the rifles come out, we realize they're just a bunch of ringers. They have some unreal maneuvers and an all star captain even Sir noses squads toast and they have these two women come out and do this kind of dance march military thing that was shot in a very wide two shot kind of with some close ups to see what they're doing.
Speaker 3: But they're really cool. Keep that in mind. That's gonna matter later.
Speaker 1: George Washington knows they have to practice more. Captain Stone calls their performance a failure, but Brad cuts her off. That's hot Brad by the way, he insists they have the gun skills, they just need originality, creativity and exhibition, because originality and creativity is exactly.
Speaker 3: What the military is looking for. With hot Brad now pouting alone, but.
Speaker 2: Come on, you can't really. This is what I love about the micro worlds. Like when we're talking about jump rope, I don't know about jump rope, but if they tell me that's what it is, I'm like, okay, so yeah, no believing them. I'm believing them one hundred percent a point.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, I don't think that you're gonna have a military school that's going to break out into like step up kind of danc routines, No, and get points for that in a military competition, a precision competition.
Speaker 2: I believe with any type of dance, having a little bit of a flare and a tiny bit of a difference of a style, sure, and you being the new one out there doing it, if it's executed well in a lot of the times most of the time of the time, is beneficial.
Speaker 1: To your prof I agree, But this is not a dance competition. It's a drill competition based on precision.
Speaker 2: These people were doing the but that's why I think I know you got rhythm in the now.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, fair enough, you got it. You got your the dance. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a rifle you could throw whatever.
Speaker 3: You give me.
Speaker 2: Rhythm, you give me some like intricate movement. You're at god dance.
Speaker 3: You got it. Fair enough.
Speaker 1: Brad's now pouting alone in the locker room, though that's hot brat by the way, Kelly sees this as her opportunity. She starts goofily dancing with the rifle, trying to cheer up the team captain. And not only are spirits listed, but he has an idea he wants to see more of her moves. Of course he does, and just like that, she has yet another goal to get Brad's drill team a medal, because that's now her thing. The next day that Kelly gives Sergeant Ramos a friendship bracelet. She explains, you make a wish and it falls off. Your wish comes true. She also offers her a scarf from Nepal or Bengals from Marrakesh, all gifts from her dad's travels. It's her way of paying for a drill team tutor, and it worked. She starts aggressively practicing with Ramos right away. Kelly isn't very good, but she's willing to learn, and she comes no surprise that we then get a big old training montage, love a montage. Kelly makes tremendous progress, and when it's time to try out, she kills it.
Speaker 3: Captain Stone is an impressed though, and Brad that's hot. Brad keeps a poker face again. They're trying out for Nationals.
Speaker 1: They've already done a demo, but now they're auditioning people to be on the team.
Speaker 2: None of that made that was a big what the hell? Just does it make any sense? However, I did think you would appreciate the fact that she didn't just get thrown in there and like knows the moves, Like you're showing her work in progress, you're showing her learning that. I wasn't sure why. I couldn't remember from when I watched it before why there was like a quiz aspect of it, like trivia type stuff. But that makes sense later. But I mean, she's learning, she's actually doing improvement. You see it, And I thought you'd really appreciate that, turning coming a professional instead.
Speaker 1: Of turning the school to do more her thing. She's just conforming to the school.
Speaker 3: She's jumping in I can't which I like, but that.
Speaker 1: That wasn't very decom there's almost nothing dcom about that. The next morning, when the new team members are supposed to be announced, she's called to Sirr's office. He didn't know she was trying out for the team, and he seems angry, but instead of yelling at her, he's actually very proud and she's made the team and now as a podcast.
Speaker 3: We can officially say he's a great step dad.
Speaker 1: Sure, little stern, little cold, but has good intentions. He tries to shake her hand again, but she stops him. If joining the drill team was his lesson to teach, she has one for him. You can't be a drill sergeant for a baby. He accepts the statement and his all ears it's very nice and so now as a drill team member, she admires her uniform for the first time ever, and on the field for practice, she runs into Captain Stone, who's obviously not happy to see her least favorite.
Speaker 3: Cadet now teammate. Hilariously during the scene.
Speaker 1: The song that plays is by Macy Gray and it's called relating to a psychopath.
Speaker 3: Little on the nose in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Kelly watches her leader dance and decides to join in. At first, Stone is angry and pushes her away. This was a weird scene. Stone is angry and pushes her away, but Kelly doesn't give up. It quickly turns into a dance battle, step up style and the two soldiers trading routines and eventually just straight up hip hop dancing with Fury.
Speaker 3: Kind of.
Speaker 1: This is quite a scene and might just find itself up there with the Camp Rock March for the best memes, Sabrina walk me through whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but the funny part. Okay, first of all, no, I would I would assume this was something that those two actresses look back at and go oh like, hey, I've got them, I've got the same we got them. Okay, you just kind of go, I remember, it's the same thing as I thought about in Camp Rock, thinking about Allison Stone or looking at some of that choreography going it felt awkward and it looks awkward, like I just I know that that's this because I don't know who they got to choreograph this or where this movement came from, but it didn't really It wasn't like far enough to be hip hop, but it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Like the steps clapping, like you.
Speaker 2: Know, the step clapping that they do from like fraternities and stuff. It wasn't that. It just was very it was not.
Speaker 6: Very familiar, very very great expert in that.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that.
Speaker 2: But then it's like they were playing it off like, oh, that was so good, like we're going to use some of it.
Speaker 6: But I fully forgot that I used to do this with my friends.
Speaker 2: Is that when they pat, I can't do it, but they pat like Chris Cross crisscrossd They sit there and walk around each other and they're like, yeah, Chris Cross crisscroutch.
Speaker 3: There you go, that's dancing, bro. I love intimidation right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah I could go faster Chris crosskriscrusker. And then, of course, while walking by, hot Brad notices how unhinged this showdown is and loves when.
Speaker 2: He loves it, that's how good loves it.
Speaker 1: He slow class and tells the girls this is what the team needs. He wants to work their moves and fiery spirit into their regional routine. Of course, now in history class, Kelly starting to pay attention and realize the importance of teamwork and unity. With her new understanding, she approaches Stone to make peace and work on new moves. The captain is resistant at first, but eventually cracks a smile and is on board. At home, Kelly is helping her mom set the table for dinner when there's a knock on the door. It's her dad. He's back from abroad and brought a sweater. He claims it's from a sultant Kelly is so happy to see him, and he shakes hands with Sir. You could tell Stepdad's a little reserve and skeptical when it comes to a biological dad. But during dinner, Kelly's mom is now visibly pregnant and appears to have conquered homemaking, which is nice.
Speaker 3: She's killing it.
Speaker 1: Kelly's dad has taken on a nearby assignment at Rockbridge Mountain, and so he'll be able to attend the regional tournament.
Speaker 3: Kelly makes some pinky.
Speaker 1: Promise and is ecstatic, and so we jump right into the George Washington team. Arriving for the big competition, Ben is very confident and promises Sir some secret weapons.
Speaker 3: And then another big surprise.
Speaker 1: Amanda, Kelly's bestie from New York, came to watch, and we get these noises when they hug. There is obviously some culture shock here her old friend meeting her new friends, especially because Carla is very comically bummed realizing that she isn't Kelly's best friend.
Speaker 6: It's been three months, Carla, You've got to calm down.
Speaker 2: I love you, choice, I really love you, but like chill.
Speaker 1: Ye, Sir Clock's Carla's And again from a writing standpoint, this would have hit harder had we known more about Carla Is passed, which they did not.
Speaker 3: They just allude to. They don't tell us.
Speaker 2: Yes, she had like severe like like abandonment issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her brother left.
Speaker 2: Off like out of her world very quickly, something like that. But this at this point is just like girl you've known her for. Her mom is what now six months pregnant, so like it hasn't been long.
Speaker 3: Give her a break, Sir Clock's collars disappointment in frowns. But there's no time to dwell. It's time for regionals.
Speaker 1: Each soldiers immediately put to the test when higher up scream at them to recite facts like the importance of the stripes on a flag or what makes up the Marine Corps logo. Kelly has asked two questions and answered them both correctly. She follows that up with a perfect arm and rifle motion and she's off to a great start. But when she looks to the stands, her dad is nowhere to be found. By the way, she's the only soldier who decides to smile through the entire thing.
Speaker 3: George Washington scores it perfect ten out of ten in.
Speaker 1: The first round, but they know to stay focused, but Kelly's attention is now completely shifted to her missing dad.
Speaker 3: She's rattled, especially when her cell phone rings. Brad isn't happy.
Speaker 1: That's against uniform code, and the phone cuts out almost immediately. Captain Still is furious. If it would have rung during the routine, they would have all been disqualified. She explains that the cell phone is the lifeline between her and her dad, but no one is happy, especially Carla, who's still bitter about being.
Speaker 3: Best friend number two.
Speaker 1: The team gets ready for the next round as Kelly continues to try to reach her dad. Sir gives the team a few more words of encouragement and pulls kid at Kelly off to the side. He explains, win or lose, you'll be great, but she starts to tear up. She's worried about her dad. He pinky promised he'd be there. It's not like him at all. But have we had any indication that he wouldn't just ghost her?
Speaker 2: There's no I thought that was like part of his characters. He was like dizzy and kind of like not reliable.
Speaker 1: And that was but they apparently that wasn't a thing. They didn't do that either either way. Sir Offerser the chance to go look for him, but she'd never let her team down, but she's sure something has happened to him. Sir offers that they leave together to find him, but she knows her duty and how important this is for him. But now he commands her they will go and Brad will adjust properly. And with that they leave for a rock Ridge Point and he doesn't tell his wife, He doesn't tell anybody else in the school.
Speaker 3: He doesn't tell any He just they leave even the middle of a competition.
Speaker 1: In the competition, rawways up first and they're as awesome as expected, and that's when Captain Stone notices that Kelly is missing, because again, why tell your team that you're not going to be there? Very strange, Brad knows he must make an audible moving her entire squad from routine. Stone announces, once a maggot, always a maggot, and again, do not make a maggot drinking game out of this.
Speaker 3: You'll be dead by the end of this movie.
Speaker 1: Just then, Kelly and Sir arrive at Rock Ridge. Kelly races out of the car, screaming her dad's name. She has to find him. She notices his camera bag and quickly gets ready to climb the dangerous mountain. When she gets to the top, she looks over the ledge and she was right. Her dad is laying motionless, blood leaking from his head. Sabrina, did you think he was going to be alive and well and just be a deadbeat or did you think this was all gonna happen the way that it happened.
Speaker 6: I did not remember this part at all.
Speaker 2: I was like, whoa, he's like like dying, Oh my god. I was not expecting that either. I didn't remember any of this part at all.
Speaker 3: I thought he was going to be a total deadbeat.
Speaker 1: And then you know, Sir was going to become her new like, hey, you got to give him a break like that kind of thing. So the fact that they went this way with it is again like, oh, now she's a rescue lady in the middle of the competition which is still going on.
Speaker 3: That you told nobody you were leaving it Just there was so much.
Speaker 2: Happening, and we've only really seen her go off this type of thing at the very beginning, Like we haven't been seen her training.
Speaker 3: They should have kept cutting back, learning more of.
Speaker 2: This repelling thing at all. It was one and done that first scene. She does it in the rain and then we're good.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Sir calls her a rescue team, but Kadek Kelly says she needs to repel down asap. She's the one that needs to do it because her stepdad is too heavy, So she uses her new training and Sir's tutelage to ease herself down, eventually plopping right next to her dad, who has briefly come to I imagine he tried calling her when he was on and then went unconscious. I still don't know where the first call came from. The situation's under control and it's just in time for the rescue team and he's taken away from medical attention. Sur praises her work and when she salutes him, he asks for a hug. It was a very good moment and I loved it. She holds both their hands, calling them both dads. Sir explains she can have two dads, just like she can have two best friends.
Speaker 3: Very nice. It was a very nice moment. That was a weird moment, but a good moment.
Speaker 1: Back at the competition, that's right, the competition is still happening. George Washington is down five points. It's gonna come down to Captain Stone and the absent Kelly. But guess who's returned just in time. The maggot right alongside Sir. The Commandant explains that Kelly was gone under his command and he wishes them luck. It's time for the final performance, but before they can take the mat, Kelly apologizes to Carla.
Speaker 3: She accepts the apology and they hug.
Speaker 1: Everything is working out just as Stone and Kelly walk onto the mat for their unarmed competition. They have a lot of ground to make up, but we get their unconventional, almost Paula Abdul inspired routine to the song I'm a One Girl. Revolution a little on the nose again. Okay, this routine again. If you watch the first one, they just filmed the two girls doing it. This one is blurry quick cuts. You can't see what's happening. And I'm thinking it's because the routine it's probably wasn't that great.
Speaker 3: What did you think The.
Speaker 2: Quick cuts made it obvious that there was not a lot of great content. I guess is what they saw in the editing room. There was a lot of quick cuts that normally you know, and then the ribbons felt odd to Yeah, yep, like just you know, it's different with like maybe a style, like they put a little bit more hip hop style into like the movement that is of what you would normally see at one of these competitions. But adding like a full prop feels like.
Speaker 6: I don't know, ye, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know that it's believable. I think it's too far of a stretch the ribbons, and I don't know necessarily that they needed to do it.
Speaker 6: They seemed good with the rifle things.
Speaker 2: Why did we throw those in?
Speaker 3: I don't know know.
Speaker 1: We also didn't get to see her do the rifle thing because she had to go save her dad, which is the whole thing she was building up for, which was the entire.
Speaker 3: Other part movie.
Speaker 1: So anyway, yes, it ends with ribbons because ribbons. Well, it doesn't matter what Sabrina thinks, It met us what the judges think. As they finished their routine, Kelly and Captain Stone exchange smiles.
Speaker 3: Nailed it, Their friends and.
Speaker 1: Family gave them a standing ovation, and now it's the closing reception, time to announces the winner. As expected, it comes down to George Washington and Rahwaih and the winner is in the closest voting ever by just one point.
Speaker 3: Rahwaih. That's right. Our teams are the first losers. Way to go.
Speaker 1: They got a silver medal, Bad Sir and the team looked disappointed but accept the defeat. Brad isn't mad they meddled. It's actually the best they've done in years, so they're going to the finals. Kelly blames herself and Captain Stone agrees, but it's total fake out. She says, if Kelly never joined the team, they never would have made it this far. Stone salutes her, but cont Kelly ditches the formality and bear hugs her. Kelly promises next year they'll do even better, but Captain Stone is bad news. Her father's being transferred to Europe, so she won't be a George Washington next year. And now she wants Kelly to be platoon leader to deal with all the little maggots.
Speaker 3: They both laughed.
Speaker 1: Then George Washington marches out of the gym with one last salute from Sir By the way, if I understand military school the way that I think I understand military school, you're sent to military school. So the fact that her dad is moving to Europe wouldn't change the fact that she's still in military school, because she would just be there at military.
Speaker 2: Because there was so much of this kind of talk, it seemed to me that this was not that kind of military school. This wasn't a disciplinary action military school. This was a No, it doesn't have to be that kids went to that had parents in the service.
Speaker 1: Right, But when you go to military school, you don't. It's you get a discount if your parents work there. That's true, But no, it's it's not that. It's also you're sent to military school. It's not necessary for disciplinary action. Sometimes you can go to a military school because your parents are in the military, or you want to be in the military, so they have a Navy version, they'll have a marine version, so which they clearly set up here that they had marines.
Speaker 3: There was a Navy version.
Speaker 2: There was because because he lives so close. But I guess it's because he was the principal or.
Speaker 3: The right he's the commandant. That's why she's going to this school.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, what I'm saying is, if Captain Stone wanted to stay at this military school where you bored. At the military school, she has her own room there. The fact that her dad is being transferred to Europe probably wouldn't have made that big a deal. Okay, she could have still stayed at the military school. What I'm saying so, but usually it's military kids are pulled out when they're in a regular school and their parents are transferred to them. Okay, So anyway, so now Captain Stone wants Kelly to be a platoon leader and deal with all the little maggots herself. They both laughed. Then George Washington marches out of the gym with one last salute from Sir. Kelly reveals this was her autobiography and promises that the events were true and genuine, but she may have forgotten what everyone was wearing. And oddly that's the line the movie ends with, I thought it was strange where all of a sudd and now she's doing the original project she was supposed to do for her middle school. Yeah, but she's no longer a part of which, also from a writing standpoint, made no sense whatsoever. Her This was La Familia from the original No Desk middle.
Speaker 2: School, family driven school, and I'm gonna call it La Familia.
Speaker 1: It was okay anyway, there's her film, and now we've got our real reviews, Sabrina, because you loved it so much, why don't you take the five stars?
Speaker 2: I am gonna take the five star. And this is from our good friend who nahmed, Yes, I hate Disney films. Okay, but this one, this one's good. Hillary Dove, with her squeaky little voice, depicts an amazing comedy drama movie.
Speaker 3: Five stars.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got the one star and it's from De Tanya two, which hopefully has better opinions than dtan.
Speaker 3: You one hate that.
Speaker 1: Person, hate her, hate her, so I would have been willing to give this a two just because Hillary Duff is cute, but then the dad rescue thing near the end, can anyone in caps see that this is moronic?
Speaker 3: In caps?
Speaker 1: To repel down a cliff straight over an unconscious victim, can you say falling rocks? Then when she gets down there, she flips him over like a rag doll. Can you say quadriplegic? Because that's how a trauma victim might end up easily if you move them, especially twisting the neck and spine as she did. After this scene, I almost had to go puke one star.
Speaker 3: All right, well, in.
Speaker 6: All honestly, she's not wraw wrong.
Speaker 2: I was thinking the same thing. She's going directly over him, and then when she just like whips him around him like, oh my god, let's.
Speaker 3: Check your neck injury. There you go.
Speaker 1: And now it's Sabrina's favorite part of the program. We have our feature presentation. This one is called Alliteration Nation. Cadet Kelly is not the only example of a d COM that has withstood the test of time. It's also a rare DCOM title with an alliteration, which is when multiple words start with the same sound or letter cadet kelly. So we're gonna be given other titles with a liver with a literation based on past d coms we've watched, and we have to guess which movie is being described. For example, if we get Slamming Siblings, that's first of all an awful.
Speaker 2: Title and still the last siblings.
Speaker 3: Yes, so yeah, here we go three out five?
Speaker 4: Got it wrong? Got wrong? Not wrestling slam like slam Duncan.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, first of all, Slamming Siblings sounds like the worst porn title ever made, and that's.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be double Team.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna die.
Speaker 4: Here we go. It was great too because she was like, yeah, wrestling Jensen her get away with missing the example.
Speaker 1: But on the other hand, well, not, here we go three other five wins. So I don't think I understand this because Emotional Monster, well I guess that's kind of an alliteration.
Speaker 4: Emotional listen. I did play with that one too, but emotional emotional Monster does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that works. Okay, so number one Emotional Monster.
Speaker 2: And we've seen these d coms, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Emotional Monster is Oh, it's the first one, the one with Robin Robin in it.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh, are you talking about fuzz Bucket?
Speaker 2: Fuzz Bucket?
Speaker 4: I mean, are you voting.
Speaker 1: Are you voting?
Speaker 3: Yes, fuzz Buget.
Speaker 4: I don't find fuzz Bucket to be emotional or a monster, but I do find the Mummy from under Wraps to be emotional.
Speaker 3: And oh there you go.
Speaker 1: Oh this is gonna be a tough one overall. And it's movies we've seen. So Number two singing sophomores. It can't be pitch perfect, So singing sophomores.
Speaker 3: What's a singing movie? Oh? Oh, high school musical?
Speaker 2: Yes, high school musical for.
Speaker 4: Will got it? Sabrina agreed, one and one each.
Speaker 3: Number three. Phantom Father, Oh, Phantom Father. Do we have a dead dad?
Speaker 4: I mean there's a lot of dead dads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you could easily do Brink as the Phantom Father. Phantom Father.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of absent dads too. This one's a little more in line.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, Phantom something with a ghost? What do we what do we do? That was a ghost Phantom at the Megaplex.
Speaker 2: I know, I keep thinking Phantom of the Megaplex, But that was.
Speaker 4: I mean, I also wouldn't use a word from this.
Speaker 6: Yes, I know, I know, I know, right, but that's true.
Speaker 3: Phantom Father, ghosts, Phantom Father what's the one with a dad? I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I want to do this one every week now, Yes, dad napped?
Speaker 3: Oh god, of course, oh god? Number four Surfing sisters.
Speaker 2: Surfing Sisters.
Speaker 3: Did we do a surfing movie? Oh yeah, what's that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh Curls girls?
Speaker 4: Both you too? So here's here's for the victory. Last one.
Speaker 3: You gotta get Maturing Mermaid. It's gotta be thirteenth year.
Speaker 4: Thirteenth gave you, gave you a slightly easier one. This game kind of rules. I might have to bring that.
Speaker 2: I really like it. I'm remembering names though.
Speaker 3: That's the Oh my god, I don't bring that back. Thank you Jensen, Thank you all right.
Speaker 2: Sabrito ses Mic Okay, this is one of my favorite subrities I've ever seen, because it was like, if you go back and rewatch it, you've got to watch. The very first scene is literally in the exact exact location. So remember the ribbon dancing, Yeah, exact location of Together we Can from the Cheetah Girls exactly. That's how I knew, because they were even doing at first, I get my first Sabrina seas Is, Oh, here we go with those wonderful exterior shots of New York and then it goes right into this park and I'm like, oh wait, wait for us together, we can where we're up on the little cement area and the green bag. Oh, it was so cute. That's like my favorite Sabrina sees. I've ever seen a movie that was the timeline of this movie had me all over the place, like the fact that like when we're in New York that then they're getting married, Like what's which what feels the next day but I can't imagine that would really be it. Then which feels like what it seems like it's a week later is when she finds out she's pregnant, Like wait what like whoa?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're trying to show passage, but.
Speaker 2: They're not doing in any sense really I think. And then again, the biggest one was the mom being very pregnant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like eight months pregnant by that point.
Speaker 2: Right, because she's she's not just like a little pop, she's like ready to pop, like she's pregnant pregnant. So that was very strange. You didn't even really go into it on get now that's somebody who's ready to get down and dirty.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't want kids too. I can't.
Speaker 2: It's like, I cannot believe that was said. And then the fact that not one adult or anyone was told that this child who's out of competition a school event, was notified, even the mom that's just right there, right there in the bleachers. No one said, Hey, we've.
Speaker 6: Got an emergency, this is what we're going to be doing.
Speaker 2: That was so weird to me because if that's like a position I was if one of my girls, if we were at one of our competitions and she just vanished and I found out it was like her parent just left. And of course it's if there's an emergency, that's fine, but like I'm in charge of them, Like, yeah.
Speaker 6: You can't just like take them without at least letting me know.
Speaker 2: I would be pounding down bathroom doors looking for your child. It's like I would be going rampage on this like campus or wherever we were. So that was just crazy. Lastly, Captain Stone leaving, now you touched on it, and I didn't want to get into it just yet because I want to save it to me and I want to ask Christy because I feel like I remember possible rumors of a Cadet Kelly too. That's what I felt like they were setting it up like that whole re like kind of doing the oh, I'm going to be in Europe, you know, to where she comes back and is is actually now you know, a platoon leader like that was what I felt like was going to be set up for a second Cadet Kelly and I can't wait that wee do to get our interview if we're gonna get the answer, was that actually something that was going and like then you know, either Christy wasn't gonna be a part of it? Was she maybe a part of it? All of that goodness we cannot not get from her?
Speaker 3: Get all right, we'll have to ask when she is there. Thank you, Sabrina, You're Wolcome.
Speaker 2: Now is the.
Speaker 3: Time where we rate our movie one out of ten.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying it, and I think we should do ten as the most this time. The possibilities one out of ten. Stars of Kim possible, sad photographer, divorced dads, dirty water, hot dogs, surviving fish one at a ten, scream gasps one out of ten. Slightly annoying cadets scenes from Carrie five year old Soldiers one at a ten cold step Dad handshakes or one at a ten West Side stories with Amma, what are you going to pick?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get slightly. We have to slightly Cadets.
Speaker 1: All right, and I think I'm supposed to go first this time.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's a lot in this movie that was good.
Speaker 1: The cast for the most part was great. You know, Gary Cole and Christy can't go wrong. A lot of it needed a big rewrite.
Speaker 3: I did not.
Speaker 1: I still don't know what the goal of this movie was. At first it was she's gonna go and change changed military school, and then she just completely conforms, and then it's about her joining the drill team, and then it's about family, and then I don't.
Speaker 3: A lot going on. They needed to pick a story.
Speaker 1: That being said, again, it was what it was. It's too long. It needed an edit. People are gonna hate me, But I'm going to give this six point five.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I thought you were gonna be way harsher.
Speaker 1: No again, because the cast kind of saves it, and I get the nostalgia of the movie. So I'm gonna give this a six point five. Annoying Cadets and I think that's being generous. I know people have a lot of nostalgia attached to this movie, but I think if you take the nostalgia out and you actually watch as a movie, parts of it just aren't that great.
Speaker 3: Christy shines, Gary Cole shines.
Speaker 1: It needed a massive rewrite, it really did, and they're the love story, but the whole Brad thing was absolutely pointless, hundred percent, so didn't understand any of that needed a big rite.
Speaker 2: So I am going on the stance of what we sort of I guess, defend ourselves or like talk exactly what you're talking about, trying to take the nostalgia away from it. Now. For me, it was an easy watch. I loved watching it on that nostalgia level. However, when I'm doing this and writing down my little things that I noticed and getting confused and really kind of picking it apart like we do every other movie, I think it's only fair to make sure I'm doing it with this one and rating it the same way. Sure, and without the nostalgia. I agree with you a lot of this stuff of just not I feel like we were just like almost like what her character is like, I'm bumping into this wall. Okay, I'm gonna turn around and go with this story. Okay, I'm gonna go with this story life, I'm gonna go with this story. That was like something that was really confusing and could have definitely been more polished. But at the same time, like you said, the cast once again saves the day of any type of thing that will pull it down too far. But for me, it did pull it down enough. I would definitely have rated this up in the Nines.
Speaker 3: Back in the day, Okay.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, and then if I was doing nostalgia only, it would still be up there because I loved watching this movie.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: I loved watching them together. Like I said, these were the stars of the channel of my time like when I was watching it, and I love seeing them in a movie together. However, today I'm going to be giving them a seven point five okay, slightly annoying cadets because of all of those things that I could not help but notice. Yeah, of course, take the nostalgia away. It's kind of like it's an okay movie. Yeah, it's an okay movie. It's not as great as I remembered it being yeap. However, the style is still there and I still love them together. And I want them to do Cadet Kelly too. I am here for Let them be running. Let the two women be running at military school and be there you go.
Speaker 3: Thank you everybody for joining us.
Speaker 1: Our next movie is new to the Magical Rewind Feed, but we've mentioned it before.
Speaker 3: I can't believe we're doing this.
Speaker 1: It's the two thousand and nine sports mascot comedy Hatching Pete You rayb me? This this, oh man, this is the movie that Sabrina and I recapped before the podcast even debuted. It was our chemistry test. I guess you could sell. And here we are two years later, still recapping d cooms and returning to your roots.
Speaker 3: Do you remember? Do you gotta watch again?
Speaker 2: Oh? I'm for sure watching it again because until after we've seen all of these back to back. Now it's gonna be even more hilarious.
Speaker 3: I know. I can't wait. I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Well, you can watch it right now in Disney Plus and get ready for our next big recap and join us over there on our other feed.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Our park Opper episode is going to have oh an old friend.
Speaker 3: Actually, I don't want to call her old because she'll hit me. A season friend.
Speaker 1: No, okay, I've known this person for a while, is what I'm saying. It is one of my closest besties. Christy Carlson Romano, Yes that's right, Captain Stone herself or Kim Possible or Ren Stevens or just about anything else on the channel you want to call her is joining us once again because we all know Cadet Kelly's blown up. Our timing could not have been better, and she, right in the middle of filming a brand new movie, decided to join us. For more info, you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. Now bye, everybody,