Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Penya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What Riven nick Wright Episode two eighty six, got a lot to do today, I need I'm trying to have this show today not be ninety minutes, so we'll hop right into it. Here's what missed the cut? Uh, just a ridiculous way for the Colts to lose in the sin into their playoff hopes. The NBA Cup final tonight. Not in the show, but it is great matchup Jannis and Shay and the Drones in New Jersey that I have dedicated absolutely zero mental band with two locked into the NFL. Also a little poker stuff that I might be able to update you guys about Demand's great to see you. Hope you had a wonderful weekend. Heard you made some great chicken noodle soup. I'm told I was told to ask you how how did it turn out? Go on a scale of one to ten, give it a grade.
Speaker 3: I'd have to give it a f. I didn't get done. All go back in there this weekend.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that. That's kind of a bummer of a way to start the show. My apologies. I didn't mean to do there. You could have just been like I had, give it a six. I'll do better next time. But I appreciate that your first instinct is honesty. All right, Let's get to the football from the weekend.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, all right, Yeah, So the Chiefs won a little bit more convincingly against the Browns this weekend. But Patrick Mahomes went down with another high ankle spring. How are you feeling about that? By the way, you're nervous. I know we've been here before.
Speaker 2: I'll get into that in a moment. It is part of the answer, So go ahead.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so Josh Allen and the Bills they beat the lines and have put up ninety over the last couple of games. So it seems like that conversation of who the best quarterback is is back back in action, and would you say that that's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this enraged me yesterday on television, and so first a little news I guess on Patrick. Anyone saying Kansas City should consider shutting him down for the season until the playoffs, I can tell you it is a zero percent chance of that happening. Zero percent. There is no chance he is shut down for the season. And folks operating as if it is a guarantee that he does not play this week are incorrect. Now I'm not sitting here telling you, oh Man hammer the Chiefs plus two and a half because he's definitely playing and that line will flip back to Chiefs by four, which it was before the injury news. I'm not saying that. What I am saying is it has not yet been determined if he is or isn't playing this week. I personally would not play him this week and then plan to play him Wednesday against the Steelers. That way he doesn't have that super compressed rest. But that's the news on it. Now to this best Quarterback of live conversation, which is utterly and thoroughly and legitimately not only maddening and I don't want to sound to hyperbolic here, but an indictment on our state of conversational affairs and an indictment on folks ability to actually follow their own edicts. Okay, so let me give you guys a quick recap of the best quarterback a live discussion over the last few years. Going into twenty twenty two, it was an actual legitimate debate to have Mahomes had won an MVP in twenty eighteen and and then won the Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP in twenty nineteen, then had really a historically great twenty twenty season. But Tom Brady, who had won the Super Bowl in twenty eighteen in his first year with Tampa, they rally at the end of the year. He's spectacular, the defense is great, beats Mahomes in the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, as that's happening, Aaron Rodgers bounces back wins League MVP. Twenty twenty one comes around, Brady almost wins League MVP at forty something years old. Aaron Rodgers wins another MVP, and Mahomes has an awful second half against the Bengals in the playoffs and they don't make the super Bowl, going for their third straight appearance in the Super Bowl, and then the chief trade Tyreek Hill, and it's like, oh, my goodness, this is a real discussion. Is it Brady still unbelievably? Is it Patrick? Is it Aaron Rodgers? Those are the candidates. That was also the year of the thirteen second playoff game, and that was the year some of the Josh Allen stuff really started to take off in a historically unprecedented manner. Where again we've talked about it before, Josh got more credit for almost beating the Chiefs than Joe Burrow got for actually beating the Chiefs, and they both got more credit than Matt Stafford got for actually beating the team that beat the Chiefs, which is the team that beat the Bills and winning the Super Bowl. So there we're at in twenty twenty two. Then in twenty twenty two, without Hill, Patrick Mahomes has a masterclass. The Chiefs of the number one seed. They're the highest scoring team in the league. They put up the most yards of anyone in the league. Mahomes has more yards in the season than any quarterback in NFL history. In the playoffs, he suffers a brutal injury, misses no time, beats Joe Burrow with a drive with thirty seconds left in the game, then puts up thirty eight points in a Super Bowl to win the game, with the critical play being a thirty yard run on a busted up ankle. And everyone says okay, oh yeah, And Tom Brady retires and Aaron Rodgers misses the playoffs and Josh Allen loses a home playoff game getting blown out to Joe Burrow. All right, That's how twenty twenty two went, and the best quarterback live discussion was over Brady's out of the league. Rogers is on the down slope and leaving Green Bay. Josh Allen had his just a horrific playoff loss and a middling regular season. Burrow couldn't get it done. And Patrick has one of the greatest years anyone's had in the history of the sport. Again, the most yards anyone's ever had, most points in the league, most yards in the league by a team, thirty eight points in the Super Bowl, and did it on an injury. That's how twenty twenty two ended, and everyone unanimously said all the media, this might be the best quarterback I've ever seen, certainly the best quarterback in the league. Then we get to last year, and last year the Chiefs look shaky start to finish. Mahomes has his worst statistic season. Now it's not as bad as the season, and Aaron Rodgers is out of it because popped his achilles. Tom Brady is retired. Lamar at this point two straight years, by the way, let's bring him into it, has not finished the season healthy two straight years, has not played in a playoff game when we're into twenty twenty three, so he's not in the discussion at that time. It's Josh, Joe, and Patrick, but it's really just Patrick. But then the season starts and Patrick is struggling, but Joe's not there to take advantage of it because he's injured at the start of the year and playing poorly. Finally plays well, then he's injured again. Josh, the story last year was holy shit, that's a lot of turnovers. So much so they're five or six and six and fire the offensive coordinator, and the big shift they make is they become a more run centric team. But the Chiefs keep looking shaky and keep looking bad, and everyone says, oh, my goodness, they're gonna be on the road, which was correct. They're vulnerable, They're not the same. It's the worst receiving cores in the league. They're cooked. And then Patrick plays four games of perfect football in the playoffs, going up against the league's highest score or the most prolific offense in Miami and blowing them out, going into Josh's building and wildly outplaying him, going into Lamar's building and wildly outplaying him, and then playing in the Super Bowl against Purty who almost won MVP and out playing him, and everyone says, okay, seriously, this time, we won't have this debate again. My bad, I'm sorry. Of the active quarterbacks starting quarterbacks now, the only other one with MVPs again, if we take Rogers out of you know, was forty and missed the year, is Lamar, who has as many MVPs as playoff victories. None of them have Super Bowl wins. Of the guys in the discussion, and okay, yeah, we won't make that mistake again. Now we get to this season where there is not another quarterback in the league that coming off back to back Super Bowls with this schedule and this expectation and it being everyone super Bowl would have this team thirteen and one. They're thirteen and one. They have the best record in the league after a rocky opening six games of the season that they were undefeated despite Patrick's play, He's played great, and folks are like, yeah, you know, I just think Josh is better and we've never seen it happen in sports and be like, oh, it's like Brady Manning. Brady Manning. When that was a debate in the mid twenty tens, Peyton's numbers for his career and MVPs were so overwhelming compared to Tom's. Peyton had far better stats multiple MVPs. Tom had neither. Josh Allen is having an awesome year. This year Josh Allen Is having is not would not be one of the three best seasons Patrick Mahomes has had in his career. Twenty eighteen, Patrick was better than this. Twenty twenty, the forgotten season when Patrick had had thirty eight touchdown six picks, five thousand yard or forty seven hundred yards. Part of me would have been five thousand, but he skipped the final game and they went fourteen to one and twenty twenty two, Patrick was better than this. Again, Josh having a great year, And I gotta listen to people saying Josh Allen at his best as the best quarterback I've ever seen, which is just utter nonsense. It's just total foolishness. I have to listen to people saying, oh no, like it is now a real debate. Is Josh Allen having a better individual season than Patrick Mahomes? Of course this year, there's no doubt about that. There's no argument there. So was Lamar. By the way, there's no argument there. But in order to be in the best quarterback alive discussion, first of all, it probably helps to not be playing at the exact same time as the best quarterback ever. But take that part out of it. Historically speaking, you always had to have some accomplishment. And so for the guys in it, I will ask you, Demansey, I'm gonna put you on the spot. There's a little unfair, so it can be a little rhetorical. What's the best win of Josh Allen's career? Does somebody tell me? I'd love to know it. Was it the playoff game against Skyler Thompson? Was it the playoff win against Lamar Jackson when it was ten to three and then Lamar threw a pick six, they won seventeen to three. What's the best win of his career? I want to know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't think of it. People are predicating everything based off of what they've who can beat the Chiefs and Mahomes. I do think those regular season wins is where it carries weight in people's heads, and then you get to the postseason and you see the regular season. Okay, the regular season win didn't matter, but I do think that a lot of people saw that Josh Allen beat Mahomes head up. This year, he's having this year, I think coming into this season. Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: He beat head up. He beat him head up in the regular season last three times they played. That's and listen. Okay, So right now, the leading contender for the best win of Josh Allen's career is an early season, regular season game against the Chiefs. Got it? Now, let's bring because folks want to we do the same thing with Lamar. What's Lamar's biggest moment? Playoff win against Houston is the answer. I know that one. That's his that's his biggest moment and then we'll see if you build on it. You don't get to swear to an audience as everyone in the media did in February last year. I'll never make this mistake again. I'll never be dumb enough to say someone's better than this guy, or this guy doesn't have it, or argue about it. And everybody did. It was across the board. All the folks who said no, this is the year, last year, they don't have it then paid their pound of flesh by saying my bad, won't do it again. And the fact that we are seeing people do it again when the Chiefs are the only one loss team in the league is unfucking believable. Truly, when every time this year Patrick's had the ball in his hands with a chance to go win the game, he's done it, and people are still like, uh, yeah, it's just I've changed my mind. It's embarrassing. It undercuts your ability to be taken seriously as an analyst as opposed to just seeing where the wind's blowing. And there is a very weird narrative piece of this, which is Jared Goff has had a spectacular year. One horrific game where he threw five picks, they somehow won anyway, Jared Goff just had a five hundred yard, five touchdown game, his team allowed forty and they lost, and everyone's like, Okay, MVP race over, it's Josh Allen's which Josh would have my vote right now? For the record. Nine days ago, Josh had did exactly what Jared just did and everyone said it helped him. Nine days ago, Josh scored forty in a loss, had unbelievable stats. Are like, that's why he's MVP. This week, Jared Goff is five hundred yards and five touchdowns and a loss. We were like, MVP race over, it's Josh's it's uh and listen, I think the guy's playing great. I truly do, and I think he is right now heaving Josh Allen the deserving MVP. But I cannot believe we are back to a place when the defense the two time defending Super Bowl MVP has his team at thirteen and one, going for a three peat, with a season where they have lost either for the year or for giant portions of the year. Number one running back number one, two, four and five, wide receivers number three, four to five tight end their left tackle, their number two, number three corner, their number one defensive end, their number one, their number two kicker, dealt with all that Lion's dealing with injuries right now, and be like I'm in it's a shame. Seasons probably over for them, and we are we are having this discussion when every other quarterback demonse that is in the discussion their best season of their career cumulatively from individual and team success. Put them together and make it a chart of how you want to weigh it. Every other quarterback we're discussing Alan Lamar Burrow, those guys, the best season of their individual careers would be the worst season of Patrick's. I'm gonna say it again, every other quarterback in this What is the best season of Josh Allen's career? This right now we might be in the midst of it. Statistically, we are in the midst of it, but we don't have the full picture of it yet. What would it would be? What twenty twenty Okay, getting blown out in the AFC Championship Game and coming third in MVP voting. Yeah, that would be horrifying. That'd be the worst season of Patrick's career, the worst. What's the best season of Lamar's career. It's actually his first year as a starter or this year, but again, we gotta wait and see how this year plays all out was first year as a starter, going fourteen and two, winning the MVP and losing your first playoff game and playing terribly in it, well that would be heart like horrifying. And so I just think that it is a sad state of sports media affairs when folks can be so loud wrong all of last year, try to a hone for it in February and then just be like, ah, the audience isn't paying that close of attention. I'll just do it again. So I know, I said I wanted to go fast in staid. I spend twenty minutes on the a's, but I mean on the first topic. But you can ask me the follow up here and we can talk a little bit more about the one seed stuff.
Speaker 3: So Buffalo gets New England two times to end up the year. Do you think that they could potentially lock up the one seed with those easy games? And the Chiefs have in their sleep.
Speaker 2: So listen, here's the deal. Let's just assume Buffalo goes three and zero. If Buffalo loses once then their base probably cooked. If Buffalo loses once, then they would need the Chiefs to go zero and three the rest of the way, but to be the one. But let's assume Buffalo go. If they go New England Jets New England, Let's just assume Buffalo runs the table. Right, they would need Kansas City to lose twice. Kansas City's not gonna lose twice. And I believe that if Patrick doesn't play on Saturday, I think that that is a great Chris Jones activate moment against that Texans offensive line. And this is the other thing I'm gonna and they could theoretically, I mean, Vegas thinks Mahomes isn't gonna play, and yes the Texans are the favorites, but it's a two point line. It's not quite a coin flip, but it's very very close. I did not love at all how Houston played this week. I thought Houston's game this week was not encouraging, and I thought Stroud was against Miami. I thought Stroud once again, like I mean, through the ball twenty six times for one hundred and thirty yards. It was kind of an awkward game for him. So I think Houston can get got and I just don't believe Kansas City is losing twice. There also is a weird potential. I'm not saying this is gonna happen, but there is a odd possibility that Denver. If Denver beat Cincinnati in a week, they could go into Week eighteen locked into their spot, and would Denver be like, we're just gonna give ourselves a bye week and rest people. In that phot everybody thought the Chiefs might be resting people and that would help Denver in that Week eighteen game. I wonder if that could go the other way. But this is why all those close wins and everything matters, because, yeah, if the Chiefs only had a one game cushion, which would really be a half game cushion because they lost head to head to Buffalo and Mahomes just suffered this ankle injury, then you're nervous. Then it's like, man, if you think Buffalo's going three and oh, you also have to go three and oh or you lose the bye week. And I don't care nearly as much about home field advantage as I do the bye week. But they're thirteen to one and Buffalo's ten and three and oh, No, I'm sorry. That couldn't be right. Buffalo's eleven and three. Chiefs are thirteen and one and Buffalo's eleven and three, so they have a game to play with. So no, I'm not as concerned. All right, let's move on to the next topic.
Speaker 3: So the injury. The injuries have been stacking up for the Lions heavily on that defensive side. But now David mccoverery's down and he's out for the rest of the season. Most likely, Dan Campbell went for that gutsy on sidekick and a lot of people were not agreeing with that. Do you think that they officially peaked too early? They're obviously still a dangerous team.
Speaker 2: I don't know how dangerous they are with these defensive injuries, and I think they listen, They've allowed seventy nine points the last two weeks. Buffalo's actually allowed eighty six the last two weeks. It's an underrated story for a team that everyone's just handing the Lombardi two. But that's fine. Both Buffalo and Detroit each of the last two weeks have both allowed more points than the Chiefs have allowed in any game one game for get back to back in the last two years. But again they've earned a lot more benefit of the doubt than the two time defending champs for the best record in football. But listen, I want to talk to Troit's injuries that I want to talk Dan Campbell. Detroit's injuries are so clustered defensively and so devastating that I think they're in real trouble. And here's the problem, demanse. It is, it looked like the Lions sailing to the one seat right now, all of a sudden, it is so on the board that they fall to either the two or Minnesota catches them, which means they fall to the five. Minnesota, Philly and Detroit are all twelve and two. Minnesota gets Detroit week eighteen, so Minnesota technically controls its own destiny for the one seed. Problem for Detroit is if Minnesota catches them, they fall to the five. You fall to the five, what's your first playoff game? Either at Tampa who already beat you this year or at the Rams who played you overtime this year. That's not great. You fall to just the two seed. Who do you get? Probably Washington? I think you would beat Washington, but maybe Green Bay. Green Bay who you've beaten twice, but we just saw play you thirty four to thirty one to the final moment. It is very on the board. Detroit goes from ten fourteen days ago, Oh my god, Detroit's the favorite to win the super Bowl for the first time in franchise history, to one and done in the playoffs. Football is a cruel game, man to cruel and you're by the way. Like Cincinnati had a nice run back to back conference title games with the super Bowl mixed in last year, injuries killed them. This year they're just not good. San Francisco had a hell of a run right five years, four NFC title games, two Super Bowl appearances. They're cooked for the year. Philly is in the midst of an excellent run. With that said, win a super Bowl, tear it down, build it back up, make another Super Bowl melt down at the end of the year, recover this year. The Buffalo has not had the fall apart. But Buffalo, also of those teams, is the one to never actually break through and get to the super Bowl and then then of course again started being obnoxious. There's the team that's been to four of the last six super Bowls and six of the last six final fours. Uh now to Dan Campbell, the onside kick was an absurdity and did you how did you feel about it? Demanse down ten twelve minutes left.
Speaker 3: No, I think there you probably could have kicked it off. I talked to it, I talked to the producers about it, and it's just I think it's a seven percent chance of you were covering an on side kick. So it's just basically saying that you don't trust the defense eight percent to stop Josh Allen in the Bills. And that makes fun of sense. It's like, where where's your hope at? What do you think is more likely to come out? And he thought that the on side kick was more likely to get them to win.
Speaker 2: And it's problematic for two reasons. One is, here were the possessions the Bills had leading up to the on side kick? The three possessions leading.
Speaker 3: Up to it.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're the question is were the Bills just marching up and down the field every possession and the answers actually know they weren't. The possessions were Detroit forced the one punt all game? They forced the next possession, Buffalo scored a touchdown, but that drive started on Detroit's twenty six because of a Detroit fumble, so that's not We don't know if they would have stopped them on a full field. They started in the twenty six and the next possession Buffalo kicked a field goal, so it had gone punt twenty six yard touchdown drive field goal. So you actually had a chance of stopping them. But the point you made, Demanse's, to me the more important one. Dan cam can no longer sell. I believe, in my defense, two weeks in a row he has done wildly irrational things, purely because he is telling the world and those players. No, I don't trust you at all. Can you stop Jordan Love for thirty seconds? So we just kicked this field going fourth down? No, I don't think you can.
Speaker 3: Can you get up primary guys? You know, he's got a bunch of the injuries, and like maybe like that feeds into it.
Speaker 2: Of course that feeds into it. But my point is those are his primary guys now. Now, those are the guys now he's got to go to war with. And again, this is a terrible analogy, just awful, but I'm just gonna use it as he doesn't won't even really makes sense. But if it's like, hey, uh, here's the deal, guys, Nick, you can either we've got a cash bonus for the pod coming. Either you answer ten consecutive trivia questions correct or demands, gets one right, and I'm like, give give me the questions. And then next week they give us the same thing, and I'm like it, give me the questions. But then you and I are about to enter a single elimination uh trivia playoffs, And I'm like, don't worry. Man, you and me were a team, you'd be like, man, you don't trust me, Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Like you know?
Speaker 2: And so it's okay, thanks, I'm glad. It was a kind of a weird one, but like it's it is. So. I really respect Dan Campbell and I think he is way more good than bad for the Lions. I don't even think that's a question. But we're seeing some creaks and the thing I can't.
Speaker 3: He gets very like very gritty. I don't know falls into the to the whole lore of it.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to explain it does, but sometimes you need Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. But also watching this Lions team just get brutalized by injuries. It made me think of what he said to them, what he said to the at the podium after the NFC championship game. They kind of blew last year when he was like, yeah, I told the guys we may never be back here. This might have been our best chance. He said that to the media, and it was like, really stunning. He was just being honest. He was like, yeah, I told the guys, like it's really hard, this might have been our best chance. Hopefully that motivates them, you know, over the summer. But it was true. And this is why Man Lions looked like the best team in football three weeks ago. Now they're in a three way tie atop their conference and the injuries are just absolutely devastating. All right.
Speaker 3: Next, So the Eagles won aerially. Aerially gets Pittsburgh, and y know, Jalen Hurts took like maybe a victory lap on the podium. Seems like it might have annoyed you a little bit, though, what's your what's your gripe here? All right?
Speaker 2: So Jalen Hurts played great, by the way, past the game, played great, great win for them. Uh we were by the way, good job by us not falling it last week into the oh Man Tomlin getting all those points trap because non conference game, different spot. We understood that Philly, that Pittsburgh's game of the year is next week or this week against Baltimore. They win that game, they win the division. So you know, different circumstance. By the way, again, sorry to bring up the Chiefs again. Sneaky potential, slight benefit of this brutal three games in ten days stretch. The Chiefs have a real chance of playing consecutive games, maybe three in a row, depending on what happens with Denver. Well, well, it wouldn't just let me just go consecutive games, consecutive games against teams that the previous week clinched their division. This week, Houston clinched the South, So I wonder how that impacts them for this game on Saturday. And if the Steelers win on Saturday, they clinched the North. How does that impact them for the game on Wednesday. But let me set that aside. Jalen hurts, So, Jalen Hurts plays great, they win, and he says smugly. So that's what y'all wanted to see.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: As if the media started this buddy. Here is the order of operations. The Philadelphia Eagles win their ninth straight game to get to eleven and two. Sakuon Barkley is the toast of the town. Might win MVP from the running back position. Seems like the defense is elite, seems like all's good. Media shows up in the locker room after AJ Brown, who was visibly pissed on the sidelines, They ask him about it. AJ Brown, who is not in the media, says, hey, Aj, what do you need to work on? Passing? Makes it vote? He seems angry and pissed. The next day, the longest tenured Eagle goes on the radio and says, yeah, man, AJ's super pissed. Probably better to keep that in house. And it's just such a shame because he and Jalen used to be friends. That's what happened. This was not a media creation. This was your star wide receiver and your defense team leader creation. And so for him to then come out and be like, all right, you guys demanded it, So we gave it to you. Your guys demanded it, And by the here's the thing. And even in a win, the Eagles can't stay out of their own media way, because even in a win, you got Siriani and the defensive line coach going belly to belly yelling at each other. Big Dom is sitting there like, what am I supposed to do? That? Dude's actually bigger than me, Like I, this is not what I'm equipped for, and so I just I can't. I mean, it's just unfathomable. The like I told you, So, now here's the thing, man, Maybe here is the thing to win the super Bowl. That is what we need to see in the Super Bowl. You are going to be playing if you get there, either the Kansas City Chiefs or the Buffalo Bills, or I'll be nice to demand and include the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: If you're playing one of those three teams, you're gonna have to be able to win through the air. You're not gonna be able to ground and pound your way to a win in that game. So, yes, that is what people needed to see, but we weren't demanding it. Your teammates were also. I will say this, shout out to Jail and Hurts for reminding of America what real jewelry can look like. Not some of this, not not not not some of this. Oh man, I I I got this on loan and I spent again. I'm gonna say a big amount of money, but not you know, I, Oh I got this this sweet pendant for eight grand No no, no, that's that right there. That was at least a six figure medallion. And it looked like it and I respect it. Like there there is uh Sometimes you think like, oh man, like how much money do the ballplayers have? And the answer is the most like whenever there's a question about in like kind of like I don't want tosarily say hip hop culture, but kind of is like urban hip hop athlete culture. In that culture, it's a lot of musicians that have jewelry. It's not ballplayer jewelry. And by the way, Jalen hurts, the last thing he wanted was for an NBA player to walk into that press conference because then all it's like, oh man, you got that guaranteed, you got that fully guaranteed jewelry. And so I listen, Jalen looked great and played great, and I give him credit, But that hole, that's what you wanted to see. The grass is green where you water it well, then put a little fertilizer on the passing game then fella, because that was a concern. Quick break right back, What's right? Welcome back in What's right with Nick? Right? Uh? So we got a bunch still to do today, and I want to give you guys an update if we can on uh poker w s op paradigse at the Bahamas. So we got a clip we can play and then I'll tell you guys what I was doing. Go ahead and roll the clip. The dream would be to win this thing, yes, but I don't. It takes a while, and that's really the only reason I couldn't win. It is the time, the time, and so given the time constraints, the second dream is to commentate it. So this what do you laugh about? Tom's Yeah, I could just have the time, the time. I mean, it is six million for first place. Shout out, so little poker stuff here quickly. So the World Series of Poker is in not so much of a cold war, kind of a hot war with these other poker entities, and they decided they were going to try to basically steal the December Poker Festival corner from their competitors. And they have this massive World Series of Poker Paradise event at Atlantis and the Bahamas that this year had a twenty five well they had a half a million dollar invitational buy in, multiple one hundred thousand dollars buy ins for like the super pros or the super rich business people, but they also had a twenty five thousand dollars buy in super main event with a fifty five zero million dollars guaranteed total prize pool, the biggest in the history of poker as far as a guarantee. And what that guarantee means is, so if it's twenty five thousand to enter and you're guaranteeing there'll be fifty million in the prize pool, they needed two thousand entries. They needed two thousand people to put up twenty five grand to play, or enough people to rebuy, meaning they bust out and then put another twenty five thousand in. I met a guy there who fired six bullets in it. One hundred and fifty grand in this thing, and it really and if not, they got to put the money up themselves. And they didn't get to two thousand, but my god, they got close. I think they got to one nine hundred and eighty seven something around there. So they came like fifteen to twenty people short, so they almost hit it without an overlay. There still was a slight overlay, And I did commentary for it on Saturday, and I think I'm gonna be doing more and more of the World Series of Poker, and it is like my favorite thing. And I'm gonna tell you this. It is. I've said this four of all, say it again. Nothing gives me more of like a childlike thrill, like when a kid meets their favorite athlete, than when these professional poker players are like I don't want to say want to meet me, because it's not like that, but like aware of me from the sports stuff, because so many of these guys are also big time sports gamblers. And obviously, where else would you go for your sports picks this year other than Danny Parkins right here, Danny by the way, thirty one and seventeen now against the spread thirty one and seventeen. But so I get to see like Chance Cornith, who's one of the greatest players in the world. After I was done commentating, I played in a pot limit Omaha cash game and he just sat with me and we chatted and he sweated my cards. I tried to get in the game with Jamie Golden Chris Moneymaker, which looked like one of the softest PLO games running at the moment. But there it was. Nobody was getting up like. It was just so much fun. So if you check out the wsop's YouTube page for Day one C the middle part of Day one, see you can see some of my commentary. And I hope that you're doing more of it. All right, demon's let's talk a little Travis Hunter before we get to our game.
Speaker 3: Uh So, yeah, we wanted to discuss the Travis Hunters getting the heisman. You wanted to discuss his girlfriend slash fiance, So go ahead and let you go there.
Speaker 2: Have you followed this on the internet? Yes, yeah, it's been impossible not just follow right, Yeah, it's just been everywhere.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have a take that might be might make some of my friends in the media mad, might be unpopular.
Speaker 3: Take.
Speaker 2: Uh can everybody leave these two people's personal life alone?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 2: Like? Can we? Like?
Speaker 3: She can?
Speaker 2: Can we? I Travis doesn't yet fully know how to be famous, His fiance definitely doesn't know how to be famous. Their kids and the number of grown ass men that are like, oh, trap, Like I've I've sniffed it out. She didn't stand fast enough when he won the award. She seems you know to me, me, me, he better get a prenup er, he better break. Now's your exit. You guys are jerks, man Like, seriously, it's so out of line. Here's the thing, I know nothing about this relationship, and I'm not gonna act as if every relationship's good and that there are you know, obviously it's not leave that to his actual people. Like this is this is my frustration, and I really am shocked at And this is like a real indictment on current social media because it was pervasive. You couldn't avoid it and you couldn't then like folks feel like, well, it's all over social media, so I have to comment on it now. I'm commenting on the commentary all of it. Guys. This kid has people in his life. He has Dion Sanders in his life. He has coaches and mentors and actual friends and actual family that can give him actual advice. He doesn't. It's not helpful for him or the young woman to have her twelve second disposition or offhanded comment analyzed and broken down and so again, I don't think I people be like Nick. Last week you talked about Belichick's relationship, I talking about a seventy two year old man's decision to publicly date a twenty four year old to me is in bounds. Ripping a civilian who didn't sign up to be this level of celebrity just endlessly because of her body language or a curt comment during like an autograph signing is so just mean. And I, I guess I have a hard time not thinking about maybe you'll appreciate this, Demanse. I have a hard time not whenever it's young people not thinking about your or Diora. If the audience doesn't know one of Demonsi's sisters, the nineteen year old your or Diora's most spoiled or annoying moments of late teenage early you know what I mean? Like whatever you're whatever you're like, you know you're AH, wouldn't want that shared all over the internet. Kind of look like a jerk or entitled or whatever. Those moments and how they are not at all indicative of who you are, but indicative of adolescents and young adulthood and people having bad days and all of it and of all of a sudden that were broadcast to the world and now it's like you gotta break up with her, and what it does like, I just think it's so crummy, and I I just think people don't realize or remember what it's like to be around that age and how in our own head we all are or were. I to this day, I have a very vivid memory, very vivid of being in my mom's dad, my grandfather. This is maybe like an embarrassing story to tell, but I don't mind telling it because I maybe maybe people will give people just a touch more grace being in my mom's father's hospital room.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: Ninety something at the time, and it was he ended up living like another I don't know, six months, nine months, something like that, but in the moment, it was like, oh, he might be dying right now. I remember being in there, and I remember my mom understandably being super disappointed is probably the right word with me, because I couldn't get off my phone because I was in a fight with my girlfriend in college and I was so just I couldn't see the world past my own nose. And it was the thing, like that was the thing that I was seeing at the moment, I didn't have the I hadn't activated the full levels of like compassion in my brain yet to recognize, Amen, whatever's going on with you. Your mom is worried her father is dying, like he you know what I mean, This could be your last moments together, like get out of your own stuff and be there for your people. I still look back on that and cringe, and I'm so grateful that he didn't die that weekend and that I got more time with him. But I also look back on it and try to get myself grace, Like, eh, I was nineteen, Like it was like I couldn't I couldn't see anything bigger than that. And so I only even tell that story because everyone's dragging this girl, because I couldn't even watch the clip because I felt it was so like just everyone's comment to her. So meet but evidently like he was doing some meet and greet and she said like wait, I gotta sit here all day or something like that. I don't know, and everyone's like, oh, this selfish whatever man, like yeah, do you know any twenty somethings? Yeah, like that, that's that's the deal. And so I just I I just felt it. And here's the last piece of it that I'm gonna say. I also think that people are lying when they're like, I'm just trying to help Travis. No, you're not, You're just trying to comment on the hot topic. If it was really about helping Travis, some of these people are big enough, they might have access to Travis. Some of our legit famous NFL athletes or former NFL athletes whatever, certainly have access to Prime. And if you don't trust the people in his circle to know more, and so I don't. I didn't like it. I didn't like it one bit, and I just I it feels to me like there is a part of all of us kind of losing our compassion is maybe.
Speaker 3: The right word.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure understanding because the empathy there, you'll thank you, because our social media algorithms are really just like really sending us this stuff and then it starts to snowball. So like, I don't know, I don't know if you wanted to say anything demand say, I know you didn't know where I was gonna go with that, had no idea you saw this in the rundown that I was gonna rip her.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, there was no chance. I figured I figured you would lean more of that side than in that direction. But yeah, I didn't realize we were talking about the girlfriend until it got over here. They got switched up. But yeah, I mean it's they're obviously kids, and I see why you you said, if you can be in that state while your mom's dad is literally passing, it's like I get it, Like it is hard to see pass and I remember I'm like four or five years removed.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean you might. I think she's a little older. She might be around I'm not sure exactly how old she is. Maybe I should have looked this up. Maybe one of the producers can put it in the rundown for me. She I think she's a little older than Travis, so she might be around your age. But like it's all.
Speaker 3: The large media that's criticizing.
Speaker 2: Her certainly didn't and did not sign up for the this level of public spotlight. Like that's the other piece of it. The other piece of it is, Okay, she's twenty three, so I mean, yeah, so around Travis's ades, like, it's just thank you, I I have I have different X there. I don't know, I've spent enough time on it. There's different rules for people that are like I want to be in the public eye at all times, and you know the I feel like I.
Speaker 3: I have an oh go ahead, no, no, go ahead, you have a no, I just I.
Speaker 2: I have. I understand that every time. And I'm not acting like I'm some big celebrity, but I'm a public person. I understand that every time I go out in public, I'm accountable for every action in a way if I had you know, the my producer who does a great job, Hubbs, isn't you know what I mean? Like Hubbs has a big time, important job, but it's a relatively anonymous job. And I I you are more accountable in public because of this than the other guys you work with behind the scenes on the Herd because you have you know, you have a public profile to a degree. Travis didn't sign up to be a celebrity. He's a celebrity because of his own excellence. But he still knows it now. The girlfriend like I I had never seen this person until two weeks ago, So like you can be like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm gonna say one thing. I'm not playing Devil's advocate or anything. Yeah, No, she wasn't. She was in the Adidas commercial. She isn't like yeah, literally yes commercial.
Speaker 2: No, that's you know what that's actually So that is a fair point that she now has signed up at some level of public profile and I forget about that. That is a good point. I would add two things to One is so if she is a public person now, it's brand new to her. And the other one is, I think this vitriol she's been receiving, she would have been receiving either way. Oh and that's the other thing. People killed him, now that you mentioned it. People killed him and her for that, like what she doing in the commercial. Hey man, he loves her like I they and again they're they're young kids, and a lot of us are like man, look back on are high school or college sweethearts. And I, you know, I always felt I remember I'm not gonna name names because certain factions on the internet will seize on it, but I remember watching the Chiefs win their first Super Bowl and everyone is celebrating with their you know, parents and wives or whatever, and there was a certain player, very high level player, who is his whole celebrations with his girlfriend. And I remember seeing it and thinking to myself, I'm like, oh, man, I really hope that relationship doesn't turn sour at some point, because this is an artifact. You know what I mean. This is it's the same way I felt when Tiger won the Masters, after everything, the last major he's won, his kids come and greet him, and his girlfriend does two and it's like, oh, it's a risky one, like because and now you can get married and divorced, obviously, and in both of those instant when I saw it, not only did that player and Tiger end up bringing up with that person, but it appears to have been kind of an ugly aftermath, and I'm like, oh, that sucks that, Like you know what I mean. When they are playing your Hall of Fame video and show you winning your first Super Bowl, it's like the embrace with its like iikes, but like that's the And so if somebody close to Travis was like, hey, this is your first commercial, think about this, you know what I mean, Like, way that way exactly what it was, that's legitimate advice, right, he doesn't need it from the internet. All right, let's quickly play I don't even know what this is bracket. I'm not sure what we call it, but go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So while some teams are slowing down, others are getting hot at the right time. History always, history has always says that there's that one dark horse team that gets hot at the end of the season. So we're gonna do a quick bracket on packet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we've got seventeen. So this is so we're removing the favorites. So the Chiefs, the Eagles, the Bills, the Lions are out of there. And then it's like the I don't want to play team. So the the producers correctly figured out my love for the Rams and gave them the one seed in the bye smart you could have given you know, put an eight seed in there, Like who would the eight seed be right now, I don't know, the Chargers or something that's smart. So the Rams advanced bottom side of their bracket for playoff dark Horses, Packers or Broncos, no question about it, that would be the Packers. Packers even maybe better than dark horse Packers. Legit, good team. They just have a brutal role ahead of them. Like listen, they're ten and four. Jordan's playing well, it's just a very very say it, yeah he is, But they's just three straight road games to make the Super Bowl. That's probably too much for them, but they credit to them. Go to the other side of the bracket. This one's easy to Bucks or Commanders. Bake show is cooking Commanders, you know, not as wildly as they were, But that's not easy one. And then this one, Demonsey's not gonna like my answer you and I'm gonna do that. I mean, I mean, if you're asking me who I would be more concerned about the Vikings with that Brian Flores defense and Justin Jefferson or the Ravens with that defense and Lamar's playoff history, I'd be more concerned with the Vikings. That's just my answer people. I mean, left side of the bracket, Rams, Packers, that'd be a great playoff game. I'd go with Stafford and McVeigh. So I'd say the Rams, right side of the bracket, Bucks, Vikings. My heart says make show. My head says Vikings. Vikings are legit team man. And by the way, we're including them as a dark horse even though they they're twelve and two, the second best record in the league and my number one is the number one seed and our thing playoff dark horse the Rams. I think the Rams can get to the super Bowl. Oh I didn't tell you. Maybe I did tell you. Hold on when the Rams were they started one in four? Yeah, I let me let me see if I can find the date of this. I have to check it was the date.
Speaker 3: I might have said something about it.
Speaker 2: Oh my futures bet. Maybe it'll be maybe it'll be on the slip when I made it. So I made this bet on October twenty fifth at one am. Okay, that's healthy. What am I doing?
Speaker 3: What was so?
Speaker 2: Let me see what the Rams had done that day. So one am, October twenty fifth is when I made this bet.
Speaker 3: That day day.
Speaker 2: It was that that was a Monday.
Speaker 3: It was a Monday at one am. Yeah. Well wait, October October twenty fifthday.
Speaker 2: October twent It was right after the Rams had beaten the Vikings. So the Rams had beaten the Vikings on Thursday Night football to get to three and four. They had started one and four, They got to three and four, and I put a not small wager on them at seventy five to one to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: To win it?
Speaker 2: Wow, win the super Bowl seventy five to one, when they were three and four. Uh yeah, I mean not a not a massive I'm gonna text it to demons because I I one thing that old age and I guess professional success is pollue did is my ability to determine what is like what is bet sizing. So I just texted to you de Monsey. I would say I put a medium sized bet on the Rams at seventy five to one to win the Super Bowl. So I am bett cooking for me.
Speaker 3: I wait, so can you put bets on teams? Just making it there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what That's what I figured, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, listen, are you saying like I don't I'm team never hedge. But what I will tell you is this, I if the Rams make the Super Bowl and are playing the Chiefs, I will be putting something bet in on the Chiefs. Yeah, the and you know the and I'll have it to where I can't lose. That's not really a hedge as much as me going with what I want. But if it's like Rams bills, I won't cash out. I won't bet the bills. I'll just let it right, all right, quick break right back? Answer some listener questions. What's right all right, welcome back in What's right with Nick? Right DEMONSI, let's answer some listener questions quickly.
Speaker 3: Uh forday, how could you explain the Jets going for the touchdown instead of a game winning field goal?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I it's because the Jet I saw other people asking about this. This was actually not a mistake. It was kind of borderline, but it wasn't a mistake. It's because the Jags had timeouts. So the Jets get they have first in goal from the one with sixty eight seconds left, and the Jags have two timeouts. So let's just say you do what today is asking you do. You kneel down? Okay, timeout you too. You went from a minute eight to a minute five. Give them three second for a kneel. That one's a long time. You kneel down again. Time out, first second down gone. Now there's a minute too. Third down, you're kneeling again. Okay. Clock runs now, twenty two seconds left. Kick your field goal. Kicking off with like eighteen seconds left up three. It's not a it's not a great chance you lose, but you have to execute the field goal, and you have to keep them out of field goal range. If the Jags had one or zero timeouts, then obviously you kneel and then kick the field goal's time expires. Because they didn't, I'm fine with the Jets doing what they did. What you're probably supposed to do there, like the maximum value proposition there is, if I'm being honest, is kneel once, Yes, to make them burn a timeout, then then run the ball, and if you get stopped, make them burn another timeout, then run it again. And if you get stopped, then you're kicking the field goal with twenty seconds. Anyway, that's probably the absolute peak. But that what they did was not bad. They scored a touchdown immediately and then of course Mac Jones threw a pick.
Speaker 3: All right next oohman one two three. If you changed nothing else but have the Bills Ravens game this weekend instead of September, is Lamar MVP.
Speaker 2: That's such a great question that if Lamar, if they just beat the Bills this weekend instead of in September, Yeah, how that changes things?
Speaker 3: Nine completion game that he had that was against Houston. That was Houston.
Speaker 2: Next week he got blown out by Buffalo by the Ravens and then did that against Houston. That's the old order of operations thing that really impacts the MVP race.
Speaker 3: All right, next, yep, Eric, Hey, Nick, love the show. I'm an NBA fan first, and I feel your NBA coverage has decreased. Has the way him mount has, the way slash him out you consume the NBA, especially during NFL changed in the last few years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this year in particular, I'm consuming way less during the NFL. I don't think the games are quite as fun to watch. I don't the and listen, I still love the league and we'll cover it extensively post football. But yes, the answer to that is, yeah, it has. Let's go to WX WX.
Speaker 3: What does Sirianni have to do for you to acknowledge him as a good coach? All he does is win far beyond what you expect him to. At some point you have to give him. You have to give this one up.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen, those are great points and I and I've always said wins are a coaching stat The counterpoint to that is the Eagles thought of replacing him for Bill Belichick this offseason. Three weeks or a month into the year. He's screaming at his own fans. Uh when they beat the Browns, and even this week there was like this nonsense on the sidelines, like they do win and maybe he is better than I give him credit for. I also don't know exactly what he does. Kellen Moore calls the offense. Vic Fangio calls the defense. Seems like AJ Brown dictates whether or not they're passing the ball a lot or not. He's not even allowed to discipline Jail and Carter the position coach won't allow it. I mean, it's a weird spot. All right, fun show, good job, see you guys on Thursday. I gotta go do Colin then do first thing's first. Great job to him, I say, what's right? Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget we're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe, so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get demands another plaque, so like subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,