Speaker 1: You know that scene. We're just going this is a cold open, so we're on, but you could whatever. Wait remember crazy stupid love. When she looks at him, she's like, what the fuck are you like? You look photoshopped. This is not a real person. I have to cancel. I can't do this. This is not I don't I can't do this. Okay, So, Chris Appleton, I want you to know that I was a few minutes late because I was having hair extensions taken out for the first time of my life. I tried hair extensions a couple of months ago and eyelash extensions. I guess I just needed to be extended because I was going to do an unprecedented social kind of couple of weeks. I'm not a very social person, especially like in you know, public events, and I had a bunch of shit. So I was like, let me try it. And I would say that would you not agree that it has to be damaging to your hair? Right? By and large, it's not great for your hair.
Speaker 2: Which once did you have in.
Speaker 1: Fancy fancy people's celebrity hair extension people? Yes, carrot in.
Speaker 2: Being good, they're the most natural. It caused the most tension on that hair.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean unfortunately, you put it in and you're like, oh, we're doing to have all this out, and then you get used to it and you take it out and you're like, I've got no hair.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, well, what's.
Speaker 1: Funny is I have more than I thought in the shower it felt small. But I've been also on a hair journey, which I want to talk to you about, Like I'm really I had a dermatologist tell me that it's the exact same rate for women over fifty as men losing their hair, but women will not talk about it. So I think it's something that at some point we're going to talk about you. But I think it's the shame of it should be reduced because oh yeah, women don't talk about it. They really don't.
Speaker 3: No, I mean a lot of women have like find it hair, And honestly, like that's why I started working with conservations. It was so interesting would work with these really strong, confident women like.
Speaker 2: All breakers, you know.
Speaker 3: I was like a little nervous and stuff, and they would come in and they had this cancer and the hardest thing for them was losing their head. Because I felt like I've lost my identity that I can't go out so used to work. Wow, so powerful And that was like such a moment for me where I was like, Wow, like hair really is so valuable, Like it really is part of the way people look on the way they present themselves. And I think women say to me though the role WI who's the breast?
Speaker 1: And wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very proud. Wow two I am you know?
Speaker 1: And wow is the name of your brand, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Color?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've been working with Color and been a part of that for the last six years, which has been really fun because as an entrepreneur, it was really nice to be able to build with a brand because no one ready knew who they were before and it's just starting out. Everyone knew they had a powder, but to be able to build it to what it is now and see everyone use it, it's been a great process.
Speaker 1: Oh what happened in the beginning? They you were just kind of working together in a promotional aspect, and then you took equity or something or like they were an existing brand that needed a little jolt and a little language, a little communication.
Speaker 2: Whose brand it is?
Speaker 3: She had John Frida, She sold it for a phenomenal amount of money and you know, she's had a great success, and then she loved sort of you know, haircuts and wanting to do her own brand. So it just kind of stopped it as I joined because I was actually met with like a really equative deal for a bigger company, which would have been the easier.
Speaker 2: Route to go through. But I kind of just liked the underdog.
Speaker 1: I like, I like being building a brand, well being.
Speaker 2: A part of it, yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: And you know, like we made amazing products that have changed the game in haircats.
Speaker 2: So it's been really amazing to Bet. I'm very proud of it.
Speaker 1: So she's the It was basically like when someone is a skincare line but they want to have a dermatologist attached. So it was the entrepreneur and the famous hairstyles. You got together and you have equity and it's like your brand also your partners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have all of that, But I think it's the time. I don't think that once. The famous head works very interesting. She's particular.
Speaker 3: She kind of reminds me of the double worst Prada, like you know, kind of melch. She's very hardcore and a lot of she said she had a lot of books presented to her, but at the time, mine was the first time that kind of made a stop and go, Okay, this guy works outside of the box. And you know, I think she liked that. So it just all kind of we kind of work. We just thought. What's her name, Gail, Gail Veterci.
Speaker 1: Gail Vetterci. So do you consider yourself a business person and an entrepreneur in addition to creative or is the business more her because often artists are not great business people. Often chefs think they are, and then they get into trouble with intellectual property and trademark and law. And not to say that they're not intelligent, it's just left with brain, right brain, and not everyone's good at everything.
Speaker 3: No, I think I've always been very aware of what's going on around me. I've been lucky enough to work with some amazing people, the creative businesses.
Speaker 2: I've seen these businesses be built from.
Speaker 3: The beginning, and I've always just been like a sponge back when I was in Fashional week, I would watch and I'd look at like, who is the main hair startist here?
Speaker 2: Why is he or she the main hair stylist? About them? How do they handle themselves?
Speaker 3: How I just I've always been like the points and absorbent information and obviously working with the people who got to work with it's been phenomenal because I've watched that to and No, I've always been very lucative about making a business and being an entrepreneur in the space. And the one thing I've noticed people just love to put them in a box. And I think hopefully I've built well broke down a few doors of trying to kind of work outside of that and say, okay, it's okay to hair started, it's also okay to you know, work with whoever jay Loo or Kim, but also be able to help Miss Jones the those to the cell one every week and make it relatable. So trying to break it down and make it more relatable. But outside of that, you know, there's been great things done in fashion and I've been excited about that. But people always want to put you back in a box and career people love just to put you.
Speaker 1: W the rints, the thing, No, that's funny for you because of hair But yes, having been on Housewives, I mean I created the fastest growing liquor brand in liquor history at the time, and also invented the skinny margarita as one of ten businesses and have made more money on the other businesses than the margarita, and people still want to keep putting me in. First it was the Housewives box forever, which I'm still in the corner of that box. And then it's like, all I've ever done is invent a cocktail, which I've done, you know, four hundred million dollars in relief work around the world. So you got to just keep pushing through and also make sure you know, for you you are still doing hair. So that's even harder in the sense that for someone who doesn't know who you are, they're going to think, oh, just the hairstylist over there, as if I was still on the Housewives, like I have left there, So there is a separation. Not that there's anything wrong with being on the Housewives or being a hairstylist, but people reduce your entire life to one thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it being in a bigger business, which is, you know, just overtied to the bubble.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I'm proud of what I've come from.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting how people go, oh, we were Slepty's that's a successful now It's always amazes me how people abuse success, because honestly, I wake up more days than not feeling insecure about what I'm doing or at sure or having doubts, and people all of a sudden things you've got it all sorted and all figured out.
Speaker 1: I see that too. And I will say this if for someone who's an entrepreneur, even if they make a lot of money, if they haven't had the one big hit where you get the big pile, it's hard to accumulate wealth. It's hard to be like at that point where you're not worried about something, and people don't realize that because it's staff, it's taxes, it's you know, there's just a lot of stuff that goes into it. So people read numbers and they just think, oh, he makes this much money. You know. Like I'm friends with Christopher Buckle. I know he's like a normal person. He does Mariah's makeup and he does everybody and he's still like a normal guy, like living in a neighborhood and he's got his thoughts about bills and what things cost, and like I know, you know, Scott Barnes reaching out to me to send me his makeup brushes. He's pimp and too. I mean, he's j Lo's makeup guy. But to me, he's a guy who's like just trying to make a dollar and fifteen cents in his business. So I see that from both sides, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, And obviously like social media, love it or hate it, that's a part of the world.
Speaker 1: Well, we're definitely going to get Yeah, we're going to get into that for sure. So I didn't know you have two children from a previous marriage and you're still close with your ex and it's a woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were never married, but we were together for nine years.
Speaker 1: So how has sexuality played a role or in your life or being put in a box? And could you easily be with a woman as much as a man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's sort of interest in the sexuality was. I didn't realize how much of the big deal it was.
Speaker 2: It was funny.
Speaker 3: I just saw some beyond about Seawn Menders like sort of saying about sexuality and is still bigger in it out I didn't coming out old later on in life.
Speaker 2: I was twenty six.
Speaker 3: It was incredibly difficult because her two kids by the partner I've been with for like nine years I thought I had it all figured out. Everyone else also thought I had it figured out. So when you were all of a sudden then changing the record, you know, people are like, well, you must have always known, and I didn't realize I did. But at school, you know, you trace it back, and I like to be very aware, and I started to not make the same mistake.
Speaker 2: Twice.
Speaker 3: I was bullied quite a bit of school and be abused to sales gay because I did hair. Hair was the first sort of time I felt good at something. I was dyslexic, so I was always told I didn't fit into the group. You know, I was always kind of not quite understanding what they're wrong about because I was here as a dyslexic. You just absorbing information in a different way. So when I got my hands on now, I did my mom's hair when when I was like nine years old, it was the first time I remember should have booked in the mirror, and I was like, oh wow, you get to meet people feel something, and I fucking love that. I love that you get to make people feel and react. And I remember the first day and someone I was like, I want to do this. People walked in one way with a hair tied backs all this down, but they walked out. It only made me start a blowout. But they felt like every fucker was even if they weren't. And I was like, wow, this is what I want to do. This is like a superpower.
Speaker 1: But there were so many straight hairstylists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And I never was sort of too focused on sexuality. But people of school was like eighting was always mentioned and as a kid, you just don't want to be different. I already felt different because I was I did hair, so no one else was. I had a job when I was like you, no one else had a job. You know, I was pretty photos on my craft and so I was, I guess, just determined to prove everyone wrong.
Speaker 2: But so much that I did myself just just this, and you know, I buried it.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't until I kind of experienced it at twenty six that I was like, also just down through it as long as as well as everyone else. The difficult thing is then your heart and people around you that you know you've committed to, and you feel that you people feel like they know you, and you feel like you know them, and all of a sudden you're telling the story, which you're also trying to figure out. So it was really hard for a few years, it was really difficult to you know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because I was recently thinking about something and I was recently I'm happier than I have than I can ever remember. A lot of things happened. I went through a breakup and my mother passed away, and like I emerged victorious in my life in a way that everyone notices, Like people see me and it's recognizable. It's wild, And I will say that I will I have said recently, like I'm really proud of myself for some of the changes that I've made, and because they were hard to make, because it takes courage to leave something that isn't that is good, but that might just not be great, and you feel sort of like, what's wrong with me? Like something must be wrong with me? What am I pushing the novelo? But I think I'm supposed to have perfection? But I've said on my dating podcast, if you don't know, yes, it's no. So I'm relating that to what you're saying at a much more massive scale. But like you didn't have a shitty life, you weren't tortured. You just were probably feeling like something massive was missing and not complete and like you had to like make that courageous jump and choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, And it sounds cheesy, but honestly, there's there's so much power in like living authentically and being authentically yourself. And I think once I let dog the deal and the shame of it or my whole life changed, you know, everything changed. It was amazing how much grew and changed when I was things that.
Speaker 1: It weren't even related to your relationship or sexuality, just because the energy. Because when you jump, you fly, like if you have the if you have the inclination to jump in your body. It's not something you can be logical about itself, something you can discuss with some It's not on a piece of paper. You have to just jump by yourself. It's like anything else, like being an entrepreneur. You're alone in that. Like that's one of the things I do believe. So I could have easily stayed in a situation where which was really good, but like I jumped and I flew, So you certainly jumped and you swored, so okay, So I read that you your big, your big, big break was the Christina Aguilera and the Voice. You had been working with Rita Aura and you had done X Factor that was in the UK. I guess, yeah, yeah, and then Christina Aguilera was was a critical moment.
Speaker 3: The first time I was in the UK, I'd kind of done the Star wom thing. I started the Star Warm and I said what else does that? Started to do fashion Week, which led me to the editorial magazines, and then that kind of led into celebrity. Just always wanting to learn more. I was working with Rita Aura and I was just social media.
Speaker 2: It started. I was just posting my work, just stuff I was proud of.
Speaker 3: And I actually got a call from j Loo's team and they were like it was an email actually, and they said Jennifer Oo Buzzy is doing a Vegas tour and she looked beauty and I was like.
Speaker 2: Wow, I just ignored it, ignored the email. I thought it was like yeah.
Speaker 3: I just thought it was like a jong, you know whatever emails. And then a few weeks later I've got another email and I was like, oh cool, I have a chee. I'm just Chris from Western you know, you know, Hollywood and Leicester and northern England.
Speaker 2: It was a big gap in between it all. Yeah, and it kind of just got me thinking to like, well, maybe there's more.
Speaker 3: So I actually left London a week later. I packed two suitcases out and fully furnished apartment. I gave up with everything, actually, but I moved just on the off chance that it was going to work. And I moved to America and I didn't do anything for the first three months to start all the money, and then eventually I got a call from Christina Gallera team, which was great, but then I kind of had this daunting realization that she's Christine agurol Arap.
Speaker 2: She's like a huge, fucking popped.
Speaker 3: Up and the I think the small man syndrome where you're just like, I'm just Chris that loves doing there and makes people feel good kicked in. Anyway, I turned to the boys. Three hours a glam, the make up, all this went in and I was sitting outside, you know, ready to do my thing. I had a few looks in my.
Speaker 2: Head and I went by and I was like, all right, we go. We said up. Two hours. Another hour went by and I was like, well, maybe, you know, maybe she's got someone in there.
Speaker 3: Already and I'm going to touches or I wasn't quite sure what don but you have to sit there for two hours, Thanks Diety. It was really yes, And twenty minutes before the live so shows, she called me into a trader.
Speaker 1: Oh shit.
Speaker 3: In my head, I'm like, you know, have great hair, it will be beautiful, and I'm probably just going to touch it up because what else is that it's having twenty minutes? Right, If anyone's ever had bleached out, then they know that it's not done and it's not beautiful. And it was, you know, ready to be done. And so I was like, okay, you know, I thought we should look great with this wing. I was like, if you've tried a wig and she's like, yeah, I tried breaks out I like them, And I'm like, okay, cool, I should have liked why would you? So I did that thing that had Vessus do where they start like they just kind of moved the hair around, just pulling it around in different positions, and I remember thinking to myself, fuck.
Speaker 2: Like what am I doing? Like I can't come on this far? What am I going to do? Just like hip hop now?
Speaker 3: And it was this wonderfuling moment where it was like time to stop. It was it was the weirdest things that have happened to me. It's the only times have happened to me.
Speaker 2: But it was like Kate, who is actually the mother of my kids and we're still best friends.
Speaker 3: She spoke to me on the way and I was very nervous and she said, Chris, if you don't make this work, you're gonna have.
Speaker 2: To come home. That's it, you know, And it was like her voice, you know. I was like, if I don't make this work on that.
Speaker 3: By that point, it was probably fifteen minutes left, and I was like, you know what, even try to go on my week? So grapp them out the bag and put one on and she was like, oh, oh well and the style of stops over and she was like, well I like it, and she's like, okay, do it. So I put this, went on ahead, left the hairline out. It was like a Hollywood way off. She went on a linstock and I remember sitting there taking looking screen hope I seem I it stood and then she came off and she stood there and she just looked over at me and she went, everyone likes you. We and it was in that moment I knew like I'd done it, and it was the one defining moment in my whole career where I realized, like, if I do me, Because I have spent my whole life since the age thirteen, I was thirty at that point, learning my craft, I knew what would look good.
Speaker 2: I felt really compliment about it, and.
Speaker 3: I was like, well if I don't at least try, if I walk away not trying to be me and do me, then I'll kick myself forever.
Speaker 2: So I think we all have those moments where we doubt ourselves. It doesn't matter how much success or money or whatever it is in life you experience. We're all human beings and we all feel the fear sometimes and sometimes it just takes over and it can be paralyzing. And in that moment, it.
Speaker 3: Really wasn't just fucked around with her hair, and she would have gone out looking like shit or I do now.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the pros play hurt. Pros play hurt, Like that's when when the shit hits the fan. For me, I don't hold the steering wheel too tight, but I don't let go. You have to just be like move right through it. You know. But by the way I've been it's weird. I've been thinking about wigs lately. I can I do you have wigs? Can I buy a wig? Can you suggest a wig that would be good for me, like to have fun with, like a Bang's or something like a look I would like to have. I would like to try a wig. I'm wearing one for Halloween. I'll show you that, but like, I would like to try when that doesn't have to be like glued on and all that crazy stuff, like I hate that anyway. That's just a side note. So I love that you're still friends with your ex. What was her feeling? Did she feel like less than when you were, like, oh, by the way, we've been together nine years and I'm gay, or was just it moved through something positive?
Speaker 3: I think, you know, it's an interesting I saw this video and I posted it a couple of weeks that where I'm on a photo. It's the first fight tissue I did, and she was there at the time, and I remember I actually made me tearful because I just looked so live and free and so happy to be there, and it made me really emotional that I ran her and I was like she was there and she's something about I remember that fact. She remember through like ten thousand witches, and it was just incredibly stressful, where I was like, you know, she's liked, well, are you emotional? I was like, I don't know. I just I remember him. I remember that, like I was straight, I had two kids. I thought I had it all figured out. And she's like, you know, it was really hard because I think you had to mourn a part of someone that you had to let go. That's interesting, honest, it was incredibly support him. But at the why I find it and why I was told as a kid that gay was wrong and like gay man, you know.
Speaker 2: It's not a good thing. It doesn't fit into the box.
Speaker 1: But neither the relationships, which I like even as much like that, a relationship doesn't have to be defined in only one way, Like you have this like marriage with this woman now like your life partners, you have kids together, So you have you have two kids in her twenties.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, kids is nineteen, but he's twenty one. And yeah, I mean they're amazing, and my one goal in life was always bring them. I think it basically you can do as a parent is to give them an experience outside of their hometown, like unless the way I grew up. You know, people kind of grow up, they get married, they have kids, and it's kind of like the formula, you know, put them to see the world and see what's out there. And they moved to LA two years ago, and then I've been having a great time because he's doing social media. So now Bill is at college and their liveing their best lives. As a dad, I'm so proud that I could just give them opportunities and give them an overview in life.
Speaker 2: And if they want to go in there.
Speaker 3: And make the most of it, great, and if they want to go home, that's also fine too. But I just want to give them the opportunity to see the world. I mean, I remember as a kid, I was like six years old. I remember looking outside the window. It was northern England, gray, rainy, cold, and I remember just thinking, like, there's God be more to life than this. I was one of five kids who as the middle kid. My brother's like boy things, my sisters like go so I was kind of in the middle. To me hair, even being interested in creative stuff, I didn't fit in academically, and I always just remember this to finding moment where I was like this gotn't be more than this. God be like like color, you know. So I think I just try and bring that to every more Funny.
Speaker 1: Because my daughter came into my class my room last night, and we had this conversation about school and like this class that is very challenging and should she take the less challenging one, and the school says, but then that might mean she wouldn't get into an Ivy League school. And we're now thinking about years. She's fourteen years to come. And my philosophy is it should you should be experiencing some discomfort but not pain like That's what I said to her. I said, you have to decide you should be experiencing discomfort and not pain. But if you're going to be like getting a D in this advanced over your SKIS class versus an A and the other one, I also want like my thing with her, I said, I said to her last night, I said, I'm not telling you not to go to college. I would like you to go because there are a number of reasons and I would like to see what you want to do eventually. But I said I didn't need to go to college, Like I for what I am doing and the amount I went into the classes, it was a waste of money and I would try to jam all my classes into one day. And the reason I'm telling you this is just that, like it's not a one size fits all, and I think it's important to like speak to them in that way versus just like at them about what you think they're supposed to be doing. And like you're saying, you're teeing up a menu. Here's an ALI card, men, you'd pick what you want. We'll see you know. I mean, I'm gonna I snap the leash if she's getting off course and is disrespectful in any way. I'm very strict. She has a very experiential life, like I imagine your kids do too. They've seen things that other kids haven't. But I'm not like super into spoiling, but I agree with that, like it's such a great canvas to watch your kids and just give them exposure and ultimately let them decide. So I basically told Teeter up to decide herself. I was like, here's the menu, you can decide if you want to switch those classes. I'm just telling you, yeah, maybe because of this one class, you won't be able to go to a school that you dream of going to if you care. But also she's like, but I do charity. I volunteer on the weekends. I'm like, yeah, that's all gonna matter too. It's just like try to explain versus talk at totally.
Speaker 3: And I would say like, unfortunately, like the hardest times of my life have been the most defining, and I think you just have to experience that. I think hard times are good, try things of life, and like a lot of people try to avoid them, and I think they just avoid it and it will always touch a leverly different ways. I generally believe that the best thing you can do is just to go right through it and come out all the same.
Speaker 2: And that can be painful, but.
Speaker 1: That's how you learn to go through it later. Like I thrive a little. That's why I thrive on haters. It doesn't it's not that I like haters. I'm not a sicko. But like someone comes in with nasty like I know either, I'm like, hi, I go, thank you for being here and engaging and putting money into my bank account by being here, like I could be the big It's cunt. That ever walked the earth because I I'm like great, like you can't. I'm uninsultable, I'm unembarrassable. I don't care. But I think it's because of that essence, like I've come from such an abuse life. Oh my god, my childhood was psychotic. So it's like, what are you gonna do? You're gonna throw something at me, Like it's okay, whatever it is, you know. So I it's almost like a challenge to get something hard, like what do you Let's go throw it at me, you know, throw it at me. Even I remember going on Shark Tank and it was like, well, this is gonna be really challenging the producers that these are like real entrepreneurs. I'm like, okay, I think I am too, Like let's go Mark Cuban, let's go Kevin o'larry hit me, let's see, you know. And they're all people, and I'm as smart as they are in certain ways and not in others. Like so I'm a very push through and I'm also as a parent the Tough Shit program like my I'm like, Brin, you're not with that. Life is not being wrapped in bubble wrap. Everything's not supposed to work.
Speaker 3: Oh you know, so those hard times make you make you who you are, and it makes you it's a better person. I won't change any of the hard time and I'm actually I'm putting something together now that will help people for the future, like you know, be able to relate to some of them and cook through the other side. Just life's challenging and it's always branch you and you know it's it's I just think it's interesting for people to share their stories, and it's interesting when people think people are successful. How I think it's great to be able to use your voice, to be able to help other people to like, yeah, that's all finances, it's just about we're all fucking surviving it.
Speaker 2: But these are the options.
Speaker 3: These are the these are the challenges I was faced with, and these that the you know, these are the choices I made, which you know, so.
Speaker 1: You've become a you know, a name on your own, not unlike the stars on Dancing with the Stars are sometimes more famous than the people that are actually the celebrities on there, So you've worked with so many different people. Do celebrities sometimes get a little itchy or you know, cagey when the hairstyles is becoming as, if not more recognizable than them, Like is there an energy I've seen it? I just want to know what your opinion is of it. In general, I will stay.
Speaker 3: I think like the people I've worked with have been incredibly supported, like Kim for example, is you know, incredibly supportive me and my career and has been fundamentally part of it. And I don't think there's I've never experienced that, and I don't I don't think that people that I've worked with have been in that way.
Speaker 1: Like all boats rise with the tide, we still work together.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I'm maybe not available for every single thing. When I'm available for the big stuff and we make it up. It's it's just a creation, you know. It's just I think I'm a great relationship with my clients. I friendship.
Speaker 1: By the way, it's so critical, like I see that by getting you know, I don't get glam nearly as much as many of your clients. But like you know, you're sitting there, you're tired, you're in a mood. You you know, you're stressed out, there's a lot, you're talking to your kids, you're on the business calls. You cannot be in glam and not be operating your life and your business. It's too much time to not be multitasking. So it's such an intimate relationship. But I mean Roblow is married to his makeup artist. A many I think Patrick Dempsey is too. Like it's very intimate, you know, and it's uh and it requires being loyal, and it requires being honest, and it's hard to tell an artist sometimes when you didn't love something. And for me, like after when I go to the event, after I'll text and be like, I think that concealer was a little this, or I looked at that, and I would because it informs the next time, and everybody wants to know, you know, and it's you're in a very competitive space because someone could have their hair done by someone in a different climate at a different time, and like you think it's good on that day. Your hair is just good on that day, and then you know the other person feels bad it didn't looks. I mean, it's a very hard business. It's extremely competitive and very personal.
Speaker 3: But I think you have to let go of like I think there's an up room for everyone, and I generally believe that like your talent or your dedication, whatever it is you do can I always tried to think about I remember when I was in the sell on, if I was charging like one hundred dollars for a haircut and the past next to me was I'll be like, well, why would that come to me and not the past and next to me we both charge the same critch going from an appointment free, And I always tried to focus on what it is I was offering, like I've never been that kind of guy that will sit down and be what we're doing today, same as usual, because I instantly cut step off like I would always be.
Speaker 2: Like who do you want to be? Like what's your ultimate like goal? Like who do you? Who do you admire? What hells do you aspire to have?
Speaker 3: And people It's really interesting how people really can form to being told what they should do, and that they would tell me like, oh, I love this star, but I know I can't have that, and I'd be like, why who told you?
Speaker 2: And because my hair doesn't do that? If we could make it do it.
Speaker 3: You know, we were just talk about opening up the options, and you know, I had a really great client base in the salon that was really loyal and they spent way more money than they had, but they just love the experience that people fucking saw them, that someone looked at them and could see them and they weren't just another person in Yeah, people, that's the key.
Speaker 2: Like when I my clients, like I still do the same as what I.
Speaker 3: Did when I did it to my moment nine years old, I generally want them to look like that's great. I love making people look good, but when you feel good is when the whole magic happens. I can make you look great and everyone in the room would say, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I love your hair.
Speaker 3: You are just not on a red cope and you just aren't feeling it like it didn't feel good about it.
Speaker 1: I know it's nice. You's just totally we agree to agree totally. It's so wait, that's something I just was gonna say. Oh. Fun fact, the first time I ever had my makeup professionally done like for a photoshoot was Mario for the cover of Social Life magazine. And I cannot find this image online. I doubt he has it, but maybe he does because it was very early in his career too. This is pre Kardashian's and it was spectacular, like it was unbelievable. But there was something I was just gonna tell you that I forgot what the hell it was. We were just talking about that, we're talking about Yeah, So he was the first person to ever Oh, I know what it is. Social media. That's what I really wanted to get into because for some reason, this era of mine, in this recent accidental influencer era that literally came out of nowhere. And the more I admit how little I know about any of the shit because I don't know anything, the more it is it is awakened. But such a responsibility to talk about who did the hair, who did the makeup, who designed the costume for Halloween? Because I've literally changed people's lives. I've changed businesses like small cake makers, little like like biscotee, people in queens like I had no idea. I mean, I've sold millions of dollars of shit. I've sold hundreds of thousands dollars a chicken salad. I mean, it's insane. So the responsibility to like really want to help each other and the community of social media has been unbelievable. Look, you noticed, I would never think that you would have seen or noticed some anecdotal thing that I mentioned your name in you did said somebody you mentioned you you jumped on the demure trend, And I was really referring to that influencer who was freaking out that someone had trademarked it. And I was giving it like a business twist to crystallize it because I have a lot of experience there and I mentioned you. I literally today they were like, wait, he liked whatever, and I go, I don't see it on this page, and they sent me the video. He fucking saw that. It's crazy that you saw that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the thing is that's what's so interesting people like, you know, maybe stopping in the street and they'll be like, oh, yes that I always it makes me stop when I have to kind of click into it and oh if you can't buy on social media, because you forget these real people that are invested in you and in your life and they feel like they know you. You know, because when you do these videos or when you're putting out this content, I don't really think too much about it or they just just being me, but you forget that people really get invested in that.
Speaker 2: People react to it, and you know.
Speaker 1: I've had a list celebrities teams tell me that their person saw this video like and they either loved it or hurt their film, Like what like you just yeah, it's a massive megaphone. It's much bigger than traditional tepession.
Speaker 3: I was in like just a kid with a dream and I lived in less than Northern England and j Lo's sent me an email. I mean, that shows you the power of social media. Like she was in Hollywood, I was in less than Northern England. That doesn't show you the power of social media and how it can change your whole world. And all I was doing was portraying my story, putting my story out there and be more related to it, you know. And I've just tried to continue that to the point I'm at now. But now I'm in a place where I want to help more people and made more people feel a part of it. And like I said, that's what I'm working on now, so people can feel like they can part it and you don't have to be, you know, a a less celebrity to love them your best, you know everyone well respectfully.
Speaker 1: Celebrity has I mean, Hollywood has transformed into a shell of its former self. Celebrity has transformed into a shell of its former self. Television, traditional television network television is a dinosaur and streamers are on the I mean a cable is like just an older person's dinosaur. So people will say, like when you come back on TV. I'm like, I'm on TV right now. Just put on your social media. This is the fucking show. This is the fucking show. I've been offered every single TV show you could imagine for all kinds of money. I'm like, i gotta get stuck for four months, like glued to what you guys want me to do. I'm in my pajamas this morning getting a million views on a coffee maker. When the lord's work, Chris, You're not the only one who does the lord's work. I do the lord's work every day, you know, with chicken, salad of coffee and chanel.
Speaker 2: Nobody. It's like it's powerful and people relate to that. I think what people love about it is the relatability. People love that it's real. People love you know, you're funny.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're entertaining, You're like dancing, you're doing sounds, You're you're in the game, you know.
Speaker 3: But like people used to see celebrity, that's like over here and you know, real people over here. But I think now there's been a transition where people go all right, well, I know that's not how real hair, so tell me.
Speaker 2: Before it was like we don't.
Speaker 1: I know, It's what I've been talking and I will.
Speaker 2: Say that's what Kim was amazing at or she crazy through skims.
Speaker 3: She was the first lesson that was like in the mirror and everyone got what really bits like me stell you like like I have, this is what I did, And I think people related to that, and that's why it's so successful. Like you can't just pump your face against a picture of a product and go by this. You know, people want to know why how they betweens, And that's what I've talked to fit in between of Sarah or you don't look like Jay Love, but you don't look like the delieper or Kim or whoever is that this is how you can break it down to everyone. And also the audience now wants that. They're like, tell me what's to buy? Tell me how to get this law? What do I need? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, no no matter what. Like her work ethic is a rage. She's in that closet with all those laws. I mean, that's exhausting alone, just every day, and then all the other ten thousand things. Yeah, no, one hundred percent. Pimping ain't easy. And there's an authenticity that traditional celebrity is struggling with having in the modern day. So it's a very interesting time for places like California and the entertainment industry and your business. Wow, what's your birthday? That's the last thing I wanted. I'm just curious when.
Speaker 2: You're a everyone if I tell you what if, it matters to me. But because everyone's always like, well.
Speaker 1: Let me get well, well, I'm going to get yes that it's well, no, I don't know. I mean, you're not a Scorpio, are you?
Speaker 2: No Gemini?
Speaker 1: I would never have guessed it, So then there is no beating to anything. Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed it. I wouldn't guessed it. But I'm not great at that. I just I don't know. I got some scorpio energy from you, but maybe oh really, yeah, just some of the things you've said very much aligned with how I feel. I could talk you. It's weird. I could talk to you for I'm a Scorpio. My birthday is Monday coming up Monday, So I want to meet you sometime. I think you're so amazing and so interesting and like, what a great story.
Speaker 3: I would love to Yeah, I'd love to do that. I mean, I think it's just it's it's a small world. I'm sure perhaps across, but I think, what's so interested in anything whatever?
Speaker 2: With these people?
Speaker 3: You know, get obsessed with, you know, people being known or fameless or whatever it is. But I feel like there's such a disconnect from like the relatability of what it feels like for the real person to just look and feel the best. So like you can in a piece of that, but you can make them laugh, or you can tell them a story they can relate to, or you know. I just think it's it's powerful to be able to make everyone and then looking filled up there you like, it's.
Speaker 1: A connection you want to connect.
Speaker 2: It's universal, it has no boundaries like what I do. It doesn't.
Speaker 3: It doesn't looking and feeling good. Everyone can relate to thatself now and it's very powerful, and a lot of people are not seeing a lot of people are not seeing it every day, Like they go to work and they're not recognized. They're just another person, and I think someone when they're actually like seeing like the really blossom.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's so true, and it's myself twenty six, cleaning my life. I didn't see myself. I didn't let myself see myself, and it wasn't someone said to me, you're allowed to see yourself, You're allowed to be that past it.
Speaker 2: And you don't have to feel guilty. My whole fucking life.
Speaker 3: My whole life literally changed, you know, three sixty and I never want to be back in those changes.
Speaker 1: Why oh you an apology for like leading with your appearance. I just was shocked. I was like, oh wow, I know I decided so sorry. It's the least interesting thing about you is what you look like, but to start it was a little jarring. So it's so great to meet you. And if I can ever help you in any way whatsoever with your business or whatever you've got going on. It sounds like you're doing an amazing job. But I'm here and it's I'm so grateful for this conversation.
Speaker 2: Thanks Mader, I appreciate it. Let's get a luxious as bad