Speaker 1: Broadcasting from the Hip Hop Weekly Studios. I'd like to welcome you to another episode of Civic Cipher. I am your host, Rams this Job.
Speaker 2: He is Rams this Job. I am q Ward. You are tuned into Civic Socic.
Speaker 1: Indeed you are, and there is a lot to stick around for a lot to talk about today. Listen, man, We've been hearing and seeing a lot of back and forth on our social media and the comments. And I know that our timelines don't look any different from yours because there's a lot going on in this crazy world. And trust and believe that we are doing our best to fight the good fight. And today that train don't stop. We have a special guest that will be joining us. We really think it's important to introduce this man to you because we are fans of his work. We've had a chance to talk to him before on the Black Information Network, and we have the honor of having him joined us today. He goes by the name of THEO. E. J. Wilson. You may know him from the viral ted talk that he did where he went undercover as a white supremacist even though in the real world, in real life he's a black man. But what he learned a lot. What he learned about was how algorithms work and how we can find ourselves in these sort of digital echo chambers. And he has some really interesting and compelling thoughts about that. Now that's just one thing you may know about him. Of course, he does a whole lot of other things, and I want to talk to him about all those things and so much more. Also, we have a really really special Biba today for becoming a better Ally there's a person that we subscribe to who really needs our help. So we want you to stick around for that as well, so that we can give you some game on how you can help us and help this individual make the world a little bit better of the place. So all that and more to stick around for. But first and foremost, like we always do at this time, I think we should start things off on a high note some Ebony excellence. How does that sound cute? Shall we? We shall? And so today Ebony Excellence, as always is sponsored by Major Threads for Innovative Fashionable Sports where check majorthreads dot com. And we're going to highlight two individuals that really need no introduction, rock Him and Scarface, and how we're highlighting them is by bringing some attention to a new initiative that is taking place to honor hip hop legends just like these too. So this comes from Black enterprise honoring Rock Him and Scarface. Hip hop has created a lot of millionaires and even billionaires in its fifty year history, but some early pioneers never got their just due, and NAS, Steve Stout, and others are looking to change that. NAS and Stout have joined forces with Andresen Horwitz, co founder Ben Horwitz and his wife Felicia Horwitz to pay homage to hip hop pioneers through financial support. The inaugural hip Hop Grandmaster Awards will take place November seventeenth and honor hip hop legends Rock Him and Scarface, and a celebration where one hundred percent of proceeds will go to support hip hop greats and other creatives. Many pioneers, like Scarface and Rock Him were ahead of their time in shaping hip hop culture before the art form received the financial backing and success that came in the late nineties and early two thousands. Because of this, the Paid in Full Foundation intends to right the wrongs by securing a financial future for many of those early trailblazers. The Paid in Full Foundation aims to rectify that through its grant making program by both honoring the people who built hip hop and enabling them to pursue their creative and intellectual pursuits for the benefit of society. And again, honoring rock Him and Scarface feels entirely appropriate because those two are examples of excellence. Those two are people that fought fights that are unimaginable. For us to bring hip hop to where it is, to where we are able to enjoy this culture and share this culture with other people, and you know, globally with a global audience, and for them getting their just due and the credit, I think that's entirely appropriate. So now onto the man of the hour, mister THEO. E. J. Wilson. So I told the listeners a little bit about you know, your your TED talk, but I know that there's so much more that you're working on, not the least of which is I know you were working with the UH, there was a TV show that you were working on, and a whole lot of other things. And you can give yourself the proper introduction. I know full well your capabilities, but again, say hi to our listeners and give them a little bit of background about yourself.
Speaker 3: How y'all doing, Man, I am honored to be on this show. We've been working on this for a long time. Long time, Yeah, for sure. Listen, man, I am. I tried a poet. Actually, I began my career thinking that I was a rapper, you know, and rap evolved into spoken word, and spoken word got paved into activists, and these things combined led to being a Slam poetry champion, which opened the doors to the ted X mile high stage and doing the talk about my experiment going under cover in the al right, which I thought was the most useless part of any bit of my time that I could even indulge in. But it went viral because they released at the weekend that Charlottesville happened. That opened a whole lot of doors, got me on the national scene. I am the host of a TV show on the History Channel. You can check out if you go to History dot com right now, check out. I was there and.
Speaker 1: That was it. Sorry, okay, brother, it's all good.
Speaker 3: Listen. And I supposed that my grasp on history showed up in poetry as the grandson of a Tuskegee Airman. My grandfather was Theobald Wilson of the ninety ninth Pursuit Squadron and the Tuskegee Airmen, and so just having a background as a member of a blackest door family, so they helped out a lot for the History Channel gig. But I'm here to help and I use all of my gifts to the best of my abilities to move us towards liberation.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. So what I want you to do is for the people that may not know specifically what your experience was like going in your experiment going underground in the alt right, talk a little bit about that, why that was an important experience, and talk a little bit about what you learned. And then I do want to talk about the show. I was there as well.
Speaker 3: So that's what's up.
Speaker 1: Brother.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you something. I started going viral on my own Facebook page first because I was making Black Lives Matter content. This was like twenty fifteen, brother, So you know Eric Garner had recently been killed. You had the situation with Ferguson going down. Around this time, Tana Hasey Coats had just written the Case for Reparations, which was the first video that I ever made that went viral because you know, it's a great article, but as long win as a I figured out a condensing talking in a way that the brothers from the hood can understand. So when that went viral, it opened me up for a lot of praise and a whole lot of hate because we weren't talking about echo chambers at that time. There was a whole lot of talk around black lives matter versus all lives matter. So I got trolled and I started wondering what world are they living in? Man? Because they kept sending me the same missing formed alt fact memes, and it was coming at me from all different angles. I figured that there was probably some information I was missing. And at that time, I had a buddy named Quincy who worked at a marketing firm. He's the one who first uttered the words target marketing algorithm to me. I never heard that word before. Before I knew it, I started realizing that there was black people, that there was white supremacists making fake profiles on black Twitter. I said, the author city of y'all to do something like that, So I said, I guess two can play that game. So when I made the profile, I don't think it took me more than ten minutes to make this profile. This was twenty fifteen, so remember Obama was still president. We didn't know if Trump could win. Hillary Clinton seemed inevitable, at least those who are left leading, and the experiment, as I got bounced down the echo chamber, little by little, I saw how big this was. I saw that for a black man, the recurrence of open face fascist white supremacy was an existential threat. I had no choice, in my opinion, but to figure out how big this threat was. And after about eight months, I had to shut it down do the mental health concerns. But I didn't talk about that in the Ted talk. But I knew that Trump had a good chance of winning because of that experiment, and sure enough he did.
Speaker 2: I like to ask before we continue, I'm assuming a lot of that criticism and hate and strange rhetoric that probably caught you off guard came from people that looked like us. Did you process that and how did you deal with that?
Speaker 1: Oh man?
Speaker 3: The old step in fetched effect. Brother, So at that time, there wasn't a whole lot of it. Candice Omens was like, for example, she was fringe at that time. She wasn't as mainstream as she is now. They were more laughable. The hodds Twins hadn't even switched over to that side yet, right, And so mainly at the end of the experiment, they started becoming more of a factor in those chat rooms and on those websites and in those YouTube spaces. That's how I began to realize that what was more prescient was the need need for validation from black voices. This was huge, right, because what these black voices were doing was putting the stamp of approval on the white supremacist narrative that says, see, yeah, it's not just me who things like that, I'm not racist. These are just the quote facts. And the authority of blackness that or the authority of anybody who suffered oppression, is what the oppressor can wait to put on the narrati because it's the final nail in the coffin as they dehumanize the oppressed. So they were used as a currency, if you will, to absolve their consciousness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've seen that.
Speaker 2: There will always be space for for us to jump aboard that train and give it some you know, some value. But even before the experiment, when you were doing Black Lives Matter, videos and speaking up on our behalf. And I'm only asking this because Ramses and I have dealt with a lot of push from our own people when it comes to standing up for us. Did you get any type of strange resistance or pushback from black people when you first started saying things like black lives matter and started getting those all lives matter responses?
Speaker 3: They were not as prevalent as they are now, which is one of the things that I think is a changing of the tide, if you will. So I did get a couple of those voices, but they were largely ridiculed. They had no cloud. And I will say that when you talk about black people who vibe for white approval in that way, they I have often found, began down that path after experiencing deep black rejection. Black rejection is a hard thing to take, man, What.
Speaker 1: Do you mean when you say black rejection?
Speaker 3: They've been rejected by black people to some extent peraps they're in the interracial relationship. Perhaps they had a viewpoint that wasn't necessarily on cod with what a lot of other black folks feel.
Speaker 1: I know what you mean.
Speaker 3: And white people provided a warmer.
Speaker 1: Space, ye, soft space to land.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, And that is a very interesting human dynamic, because humans are social beings before we are any other dimension anything else.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so.
Speaker 3: If the white folks who were conservative leaning provided a soft space to land a warmer set of arms for those black folks who said or did something in their life that put them on the ouse of the majority of black folks, that was pretty much the thing that sealed the deal for them switching over to the other side. And then, and I haven't talked to many people about this, not even in my university lecturers. The bag for being a black conservative.
Speaker 1: Boy, the bag.
Speaker 3: Listen the bag. Right after the talk with Viral, I got hit up by Jared Taylor and some other far right voices. Millionaires and billionaires has said, if you go to college campuses speak against Black lives matter, we may be able to make it worth your while. These conservative college campuses, the ones who bring in Ben Shapiro, the ones who bring in canpus old ones, the ones who can't wait to hear from Larry Elder and Thomas Soul up in your face all the time. Those turning Point USA college groups will pay triple to quadruple which you will get paid in a college environment, speaking on behalf of what we know is the right side of history, which is the black voice in academia.
Speaker 1: That is wow, heavy bag wow bro. One of the things that we deal with is a lot of pushback on our social media and a lot of trops, and I think that's the nature of social media. Some of it is well intentioned, some of it is, you know, people trying to debate, but I think the nature of the communication doesn't really lend itself to people understanding and it really just allows people to get a bar off and feel better about it or two bars off, but it doesn't really lend itself to people understanding each other and believe it or not. As long as I have been a broadcaster, and qu's been a broadcaster, this is something that, at least for me, I'm just now learning. I thought that for a long time, I thought that you could really convince people by using an objective truth and really an appeal to humanity. And it doesn't matter the forum. People will see that and will understand your perspective. And the fact of the matter is that I've had to learn that. Un Fortunately, your ted talk really helped us when we were making the foundation for this show. I mentioned this to you before the last time that we spoke, but one of the things that we do here is we subscribe to some far right content on like Reddit and on like Quora and all these places where these groups tend to find a framework to exchange their ideas and so kind of leaning into those conversations that those people are having. We don't contribute or anything like that. But seeing how echo chambers do the same thing as the comments section, it's just people getting a bar off here and there. Nobody's really talking, nobody's challenging in each other's views, and the people that really try to change something or add or contribute something, they're just it's spent energy. I realize it's an important part of any sort of brand offering. But that was a hard lesson for me because I got a chance to see head on exactly what we're up against. And I feel like that's very consistent with what it was that you were saying, at least in that Ted talk.
Speaker 3: Well, the human beings are socially reinforced creatures, and we are very vulnerable to applause in a certain direction. And it made me introspective upon which applause I might be unconsciously seeking. However, the thing that grounded me was history. The thing that grounded me was an understanding of how we got here in the context of the present moment. And what I can see is that the beast of white supremacy, or should a friend of mine calls white misanthropy, is in its final days. But it's had many days, and the days of its finality will be long, because what's going on is that it's losing the narrative war and it's losing the demographic war. So it is striving to recruit new voices and new faces to be avatars for its mission. However, the overwhelming tide of history is against it, and it's going to take longer than I thought too. But ultimately reality asserts itself and the facts speak for themselves, and in time, it's a historical bend. The way that it don't want to look at it and shut down critical race theory quote unquote don't want to talk about black history means that it is hiding from itself who it truly is and how it will eventually fall. And so you just got to trust the tide of time to do a lot of the work for you and plant a seed with what you got in the time that you've been allotted.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: So you were in this space kind of bumping into these you know, somewhat bought accounts, you know, people who might appear to be black, who might appear to be hip hop or urban or young or you know, cool, quote unquote, and you discovered something within the algorithm that sent you down a path that I know our listeners are going to be like, whoa. So please start from the beginning. Tell us about I was there, how that started, how that experience was for you. Because when I first heard about that, brother, I was blown away. And then Ramses was like, yo, you gotta check this out. And you know, us driving through the Deep South and listening to far right radio kind of was like, Okay, we get why he did that, We get why that was necessary. So take us on that journey with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brother Blah, I was there. Came years later, but what I ended up doing was so one of the There was this meme that kept coming up, and it was a meme of a Civil War battlefield. It was a picture in an old black and white Seputone photograph that says six hundred thousand white men died to free you from slavery.
Speaker 1: You welcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm like, I did battle with the person who posted that meme for the longest time, bro. Yeah, And I realized that I wasn't going to get anywhere because I didn't understand the root from which that leaf had fallen from. And so around this time, I worked at a call center and for whatever reason, the firewalls at the call center would block out a lot of websites. And you know, you know, Vanguard Alliance was one of them. American Renaissance at the time was one of them. But they all had YouTube channels, and so I literally just went in and I'm telling you, it didn't it didn't take long. When I tell you, I thought this was useless.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: What I didn't realize is that YouTube is a portal to the dark web. There's a lot of things that go on on YouTube that will actually pull you down the rabbit hole to the actual dark web. There's a dark YouTube. There's all of that, right, So, just by the fact that the algorithm kept feeding me things, I felt more down them. And then at the time was eight chan. It was a four chance and there was some stuff that I set up on there, but mostly I couldn't do that at work. I couldn't do that at work. Maybe a little on my phone, but the fact was is that at work was where a lot of this was done. And also at work, it was twenty fifteen. I remember when the shooting in the church happened, right, it was twenty fifteen, where a lot of talking about Dylan Ruth. Yeah, Dylan Ruth. Right, I just joined that job. That incident specifically had me triggered as hell. And I'll call it trigger because I it hit a trigger. I am a police brutality survivor, so here I am. I have this account. I see what's being said. I'm triggered as hell with the nicest white folks in the world working around. I'm telling you, the nicest white folks who ever want to meet why? And so I'm navigating some mental health things at this time, But I'm also just out going viral. So I'm getting things from both sides. And as I am going viral on my Facebook page because that that video I made about dinner roof got about one hundred thousand views on Facebook, I'm taking literal cutting paste from what's being said to me. About the Confederacy, about you know, on white supremacy, and I'm saying it as my avatar Lucia's twenty five, and I'm just watching it get applauded. I'm watching it get lauded and hand clapped and all that stuff. My profile picture was John Carter, who was a Confederate soldier in the old John Carter of Mars novels right, and Marvel picked it up, and the image that I got was from Marvel. But the bottom line was that was one of the most inciting incidents. And I remember not realizing that I was slipping into darkness and I lost two relationships because of the head trauma that I got out of that. I didn't mention that, and I did end up in therapy over that. But it was all about me figuring out an existential threat. The talk was about compassion. I was there for reconnaissance.
Speaker 1: So I do want to circle back to the show I was there, and I want to get your thoughts on critical race theory. And I do want to also because I know this term that you use. It's called decolonizing the narrative, and I love the eloquence of that term. So I want you to break that down for us as well as I have. There's so much that we need to talk about. Man, this is a fantastic conversation. But for now, let us take a pause for the cause. I need you to stick around because obviously we have a lot more in store.