Speaker 1: I am Yamla.
Speaker 2: I've been very open about the fact that I was not always good at making my relationships pork. I have been divorced three times, twice from the same person.
Speaker 1: In other words, I have seen a.
Speaker 2: Lot and failed a lot in my relationships. So I am here to share with you what I learned along the way, because I did take copious notes. Welcome to the Our Spot, a production of shandaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the Our Spot, the place we come to talk about relationships, all kinds of relationships and what happens in them and where we fall off, where we need to get on, where we need to get off, And that's our topic today, getting off or getting out, in other words, an exit strategy. Now, we started this conversation last week with my two co hosts, Sierra and Isis. Sierra had to leave us, but Isis is still with us and we're going to continue talking about an exit strategy. So let me be real clear what an exit strategy is. It's your plan to be out, it's your plan to be gone, it's your plan to leave. And a good exit strategy means you have to plan something when possible, because, as Isis has shared and as I have shared, sometimes you don't get the opportunity to plan, You don't get the opportunity to communicate your intentions. You just got to be gone. So but a good exit plan, if you have time to plan your strategy and where you're going, begins with the vision where you see yourself going, and then taking into account where you are with your self, within yourself, taking into account your resources and your support system. You got to be clear about why you're leaving. If you're not clear about why you're leaving, whatever it is, the job, the marriage, the tendency, If you're not clear, chances are you can be sucked in talked in to coming back. You also have to have a clear vision about where you are going, not just physically, but where you're going mentally, where you're going emotionally, Where you're going physically, Did I say that where you're going physically, where you're going emotionally, and where you're going mentally. Those are things that you can do for you within you. You've got to be clear. My guests have spoken about wanting to be authentic, wanting to be free, wanting to pursue a different way in life. That's important for you to understand where you're going. The other thing is is about an exit strategy. You've got to look at the hard facts. Do you have what it takes to maintain yourself? I cannot tell you the number of people that stay in relationships, stay on jobs, stay in situationships and entanglements because they simply don't have the means to take care of themselves. So while they don't want to be where they are, they're dependent upon the person. You got to clean that up. So you may have a vision of leaving. It may take you an actual year or more to get out, but that speaks to always being able to stand on your own two feet. And I know they are housewives or husband house husbands, they're stay at home moms. They're all kinds of situations where we haven't been able to gather our resources or hold on to them. But that doesn't mean you can't have an exit strategy. So we're going to continue that conversation today. Miss Isis, my co host, is still with me, and we've got guests and we're going to talk to them, and we encourage you to take notes because you never know when you are going to need an exit strategy. Let me see what my next guest has to say about an exit strategy. Greetings, we love it, and welcome to the R Spot. Thank you for your patience. We're talking about exit strategies today. Now do you have one or do you need one?
Speaker 3: Well? I left, so physically physically I'm fine, but emotionally I need an exit strategy. This was a twenty five year marriage and we are so entangled. It's like, you know, I physically left, but I'm still there.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is such a good point. You need a physical exit strategy, you need a mental exit strategy, and you need an emotional exit strategy. So when you say you're still there, tell me more.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: So I still need him to pick the kids up. You know, our budgets and now I have another household, so you know, I need him to help me still feed the kids and help me still run them the sports, and you know, and then mentally he was even though it was rough, he was, you know, my best friend, and we depended on each other. So we don't have these outer networks. So even when stuff happens, I think about him first, to talk to so we just so entwined with each other, but the relationship isn't there.
Speaker 1: Well why did you leave? Why did you.
Speaker 3: Couldn't breathe infidelity through a lot of emotional stress and just a lot of just a lot of stuff, you know, And I finally and I had checked out a while ago. He had checked out a while ago, but you know, I didn't have the means to leave. Finally got a better job, got a way to get out, and I left. But he literally is there like every single day.
Speaker 1: All right, So you didn't have an exit strategy. You just left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, that's didn't have a vision, Nope, didn't have a plan. Okay, so now that you're gone, these are the things that you have to work on, a vision and a plan for the new normal, because this is a new normal, right. You know he's not in the house, but you're still depending on him. Right, So what is the what is the emotional tie? Because these things that you're talking about are not necessarily emotional. What's your emotional tie?
Speaker 3: I feel bad for him?
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 3: I do? I? You know, I will push him away and just be like, okay, this is my space. You gotta go home. You got to give us the space. And you know, I feel bad because he's got to go back to that house all by himself, and you know, he's sorry, and I can't. You know, he says, oh, you should forgive me. You know, you stayed through all this infidelity. Why this time? You know? And I don't know. I just start questioning myself, in doubting myself, like, well, you know maybe, and then the face. I didn't grow up with my dad, So that's another That's why I really stay so long. It's because I wanted my kids to have that too parent facade. Noah, No, that wasn't real. But you know, I just I stayed and now I feel like I'm gone, but he can't. He still needs us, you know, and he reminds me of that every single day. I need my family. I need y'all. I need y'all. But it truly is draining me.
Speaker 4: It's abusive. Hi, how were you? Thank you for sharing? This is isis? That's abusive. What he's doing. That's a manipulation at its best. I was married fifteen years. My husband was diagnosed as a narcissist. I had no idea what it was. He manipulated me, He made me feel the same as what you're saying. We didn't have any kids together, but we got married. My youngest was two and a half turning three, and he's disabled, so we were very entwined for a long time, even after I left. But it's just manipulation, you know, the right thing to do. Your perception is not wrong. He's gaslighting you. That's what I dealt with, and I'm praying for you to be honest with you.
Speaker 3: So we are.
Speaker 4: It's hard, it's real hard, and they make you feel like you the bad guy. He's at that house by himself because he deserves to be at that house by himself, because the way he's treated you. I had to learn to put myself first. I had to learn it, and it's the best thing.
Speaker 1: I have done, Beloved.
Speaker 2: I want to know what do you hear Isa saying to you now the words that she spoke. I want to hear what you hear her say that you matter? Mm hmmm?
Speaker 1: Who matters me? Okay? So own it?
Speaker 4: I matter? I matter?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And what else? What else do you hear her saying to you?
Speaker 3: It's not my fault.
Speaker 4: In that.
Speaker 1: What's not your fault?
Speaker 3: Helm not being alone?
Speaker 1: Mm?
Speaker 3: Hmm. And that he can make it, he can make it on his own. That he's deceiving me by making me think that he can't make it without us.
Speaker 2: Well, I find it interesting that you've made what you heard from her, which was directed toward you, You've made it about him. Are you aware of that he can make it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so see this is this is really speaks to the importance of an exit strategy, and I think it was isis earlier on set, work on you, work on you, because the exit strategy is just it's not just about getting out or leaving. It's about how do you navigate the new place and how do you stay gone? You have never left. You're still there because you didn't have a vision, you didn't have a plan, you didn't have a strategy. You got the money to get your own place, and your left, didn't You know how old are your children?
Speaker 3: Nineteen, fifteen and four.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the nineteen and the fifteen they can get them their own set.
Speaker 1: Where do you live? You live in the city, you live in a country in the bush? Where do you live?
Speaker 3: I live in the suburbs New York?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so can the children the nineteen and the fifteen year old. Can they get to where they need to be without him having to come get them?
Speaker 3: Maybe? I mean, well, here's the thing that I say, maybe because the fifteen year old maybe not so much, you know, because she does she's the baby fifteen, she's my nineteen year old. I've talked to it. I've talked to him and I told him, I said, I need you to stop up. You can take my car, you can get word navigate. I'm at work all day. You can use my car. But his father comes and he takes over. No, you don't need to let her have her car. I'll drive you like he just is just always on us. Every time I make a plan, he comes and changes it.
Speaker 1: Again. You're making it about him.
Speaker 2: Here's what I want you to own this, if you can see, if you can own this all right, I am a single mother. I am a mother raising three kids alone. Can you own that?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Let me hear it. I don't. I don't hear it. I'm not hearing ownership here. I am a mother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am a single mother raising three kids alone.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now you are a single mother raising three kids alone? Who and you work and the children have to get to certain places. How do you navigate that as a single mom? Just let's just take him out the picture. He moved to Vietnam.
Speaker 1: He's in Vietnam. Isis? That has meaning? Isis?
Speaker 2: And the listeners? Okay, so here he's gone. Let's say he's gone. What do you what do you do tomorrow with these three kids? And he's gone? Because see you're speaking betrays you. You're speaking betrays you. You made a choice to move out, but you're never left, right, you never left because had you left, you would have had a plan as a single mom for what to do with your kids, with your children?
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Who did you think was going to pick him up? If you didn't have a plan.
Speaker 3: I thought, honestly, I thought that he was going to be able to come to that front door. I would push them out and go they go?
Speaker 2: Why are you depending upon the man that you left?
Speaker 1: Hello? Help me, I'm old?
Speaker 4: No, Why are you well?
Speaker 2: Why have you Why have you built a plan and a strategy on a man that you left. What are the boundaries that you've created? What are the responsibilities of co parenting? Because this could look very different. Okay, you have him, this week, I have him next week, when you have him, don't come to my house when I have him. When you have them, I won't come to your house when I have them. You don't come to mind. You're a single mom raising three kids. You need a whole new approach.
Speaker 3: Right, you left him.
Speaker 2: But then you depend upon him. What the hell right you're speaking betrays you have not left this marriage. You're punishing him.
Speaker 1: For what he did to you.
Speaker 4: That's what it sounds like.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 4: Because a boundary needs to be aligned, needs to You understand, when I left him, he didn't know where I was at. I messed up by giving him the address of the home I was buying. He popped up after I moved in, and I told him, you ever come back, You're gonna You're gonna have problems. But you got it because he's now welcome. This is my privacy, this is my home. Goodbye. So how do I use that now?
Speaker 3: Because I feel like i'm you know, I have let this go for five months. Now, how do I stand up and say, Okay, I can own this. I can own the fact that I'm a single Mohammed, He's in three kids, and I need you to stay where you are.
Speaker 2: Well, she's got there has to be communication because they are children involved. Oh true, But what you're shifting out of, what you're shifting out of is a joint dwelling where you and him live together. And now you're in a cold parenting situation. And sure, the children want to be with him. He wants to be with the children, but you've created a situation that's unsustainable because you can't be a single mom with three children totally dependent on your ex husband or your husband your husband, totally dependent on your husband to help you with the children.
Speaker 1: The first thing you.
Speaker 3: Doesn't want to be with the children. He wants to be with me. He could care less about them.
Speaker 2: Well huh, okay, well there you go. Good piece of information to have. But see, he's going to do that until you get clear. I didn't move out, I'm leaving the marriage.
Speaker 1: You just moved out. You're still in the marriage.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Have you been to court to get your child supported in your alimony? Have you filed for divorce? What's really going on here?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Hello, yeah, does he give you money?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But it's a fight.
Speaker 2: What's the fight? It's called c O U RT court fight. That's what it's called.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always my bill. What I gotta do. So that I did, just have a conversation with him and tell him, like, look, if you don't do it, get this is some out. I need to take care of your kids monthly. I am going to take you for child support.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Is this the first time you all have separated?
Speaker 1: No, so you moved out.
Speaker 2: Before or he moved out before I did. Okay, so he thinks you're joking. He thinks you're joking. He's going to do what he did to get you to come back. Are you going back to this marriage?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Why why aren't you going? Why aren't you going back?
Speaker 3: The means that I am right now. It just I want to do things that he doesn't see, you know. I want to do grown woman things. I want to travel, I want to invest. I want to pursue my passions, write my book, tell my stories. Hopefully let my scars encourage other people. Like I have a whole destiny on my life that I can't do because I'm at home being broadbeatd you know, being made to felt like everything is about him. So I just I need to be free to do what I gotta do I feel like pulling me out and I just for some reason, my feet are stuck.
Speaker 2: No, you don't be good the question, well, okay, I think you're doing good.
Speaker 4: Already more work to do, she has more work to do, but she's already made. But she she's shivering and she weary, but she she took a step out there. So that's a good first step of it. But now you need to start making a list what you need to do, making yourself strong, reminding yourself. This is all for your freedom to get to what you want out of life, your goals, and this is only a hurdle. You need to just overcome and go get that PaperWorks, Go do that.
Speaker 1: Child.
Speaker 2: We've got lots more to talk about in terms of leaving but not being gone, and we're going to do that when we come back. Welcome back to the art spy. I'm hearing some things in my caller, and it seems to me that she left, but she's not really gone, So I want to explore that a little bit. The first thing she has to do is stand up in her choice, and I'm not clear what the choice is. Do you want to be out of this marriage? Do you want to be divorced. Or do you want him to just come to his senses and be a better man so that you'all can continue in your life together. What is your true desire? Okay, so you're complete with the marriage.
Speaker 3: I'm complete with the marriage.
Speaker 1: Okay? Are you complete with him?
Speaker 3: I would like us to be friends.
Speaker 2: Here's the question that would be the answer had the question been do you want to be friend with him? Here's the question. Are you complete with him? Are you complete with him?
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: That means can you see your life? Can you see your life one year, three years, five years, ten years down the road with him playing absolutely no part in your life but co parenting and being a part of your children's lives.
Speaker 1: Can you see that?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay.
Speaker 2: Now I want you to check between I want you to check between your big toe and.
Speaker 1: Your second toe.
Speaker 2: I want you to think about that place and find out if there's a woman down in between your toes that still.
Speaker 1: Wants to give him a little bit every now and then. Is she down in the toe?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? Check under your left breast.
Speaker 2: Is there a woman up under your left breast that could still be talked into, manipulated, guided in the moment of weakness to give him some Is.
Speaker 1: She under there?
Speaker 2: No, okay, check your ear load, check your right ear load. Check and see in your right ear load there's anybody in there that looks at him with a longing eye. No, okay, all right, Because as long as there's a part of you that wants him, and I hear you saying that, I hear you saying that. But as long as there is a part of you that wants him and you don't get her.
Speaker 1: In check, you in trouble.
Speaker 2: So you check under the left breast, the right breast, You check all your puper cares, You check your armpit, check behind your ear and make sure that there's no part of you that's still wants him. And should you find a part of him that says, if only he could, and maybe he will. If you're finding that part of her, I want you to take her, that part of you, put her in the closet in the dark with two knit needles, and tell her to knit you a sweater in the dark, because as long as she's there, you're gonna play these games.
Speaker 1: This is a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are now a single mother with three children.
Speaker 3: I wrote it down.
Speaker 1: How do you plan.
Speaker 2: How do you plan to transport your children around without employing the services of your whatsman? How do you do that? You got friends? Are their mothers in the school or their other parents in the block? First of all, I want to know why you got a four year old? What the hell is that?
Speaker 1: Fifteen and four?
Speaker 3: You know I didn't miss that.
Speaker 1: That didn't slide past me.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I didn't really have the equipment to have her, So that is definitely she was a miracle. She was not supposed to happen. I don't even know my dad. A broken tube and a missing tube, there was supposed to be nothing getting through there. But she came, and she came. I found out I was pregnant right when I found out that he had been in a nine month relationship with another woman. And you know, being as ghost as I am, so I was like, what I'm gonna do? You know, at this age, y'all.
Speaker 1: Just got to.
Speaker 2: Listen to me. I don't want you to talk about him no more. I don't care if he slept with the Queen of England naked on your living room floor, because you're making yourself a.
Speaker 1: Victim, not a victim.
Speaker 4: How long were you married twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Oops, didn't work. Here we go. That's it.
Speaker 2: Stop telling the just stuck in the story. Yeah, and that's the part of you that will still warn him. If only he would maybe he means it this time, Maybe he's maybe we can. I'm telling you, check your right breast. She's in there. Somebody's in there. She's gonna get you. Every woman needs a posse. You need a posse.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: You don't have a posse.
Speaker 2: You know that that that group of women that the rideing die with you.
Speaker 1: You don't have a posse. That's a problem.
Speaker 2: So here we are, single mom with three kids and a manipulating husband.
Speaker 1: What you're gonna do?
Speaker 2: What's your ex what is your exit strategy?
Speaker 3: I need that nineteen year old just to really step up and just own the plan, because if he can do the driving and the transporting, you know, then not that would help. That would cut out a huge a dependency.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm old school. I'm old school. I'm old school. Forgive me, I'm old school. I hear what you're saying. But he's nineteen.
Speaker 1: Is he going to college?
Speaker 3: Yes, but he's not doing nothing for the summer but working.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you got to live beyond the summer, my love, What are you going to do in September?
Speaker 1: If he goes to college?
Speaker 4: I got him my.
Speaker 2: Way to college.
Speaker 3: No, he's gonna be home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, see I just I just helped me.
Speaker 2: Isis because I you're asking him to do something that you can't do. You're asking your nineteen year old to do something for you that you didn't plan for. That's not his life, that's your life. That's a I know, I I know I'm being hard on your mama, I know, but I call for help.
Speaker 1: It's necessary.
Speaker 4: He is nineteen. So I have a twenty year old and a twenty five year old and he is nineteen. Now he does live with you, correct, yes, and he lives rent free yes okay, and so food free.
Speaker 3: Light free, anything you need free.
Speaker 1: But he's going to school. Make him.
Speaker 2: Make him get a job after school or during school or work study or whatever. So he has his little money that you don't have to give him.
Speaker 3: Let him put Okay, still have his money, but he doesn't manage his money well. So I'm always feeling in the gap.
Speaker 2: About well, that's a problem. He's nineteen. If he got to walk because he's spending his money. If his phone go off because he pay it. Come on, Mama, you got to step up. I'm you're right, you're right.
Speaker 4: But I'm very dependent on you. He's very dependent on you as well, right, yeah, yeah, okay, they all are all three other woman three you're superwoman. Uh huh, you're a superwoman. This is a hard one because if my daughter when she was here, she would help me out with some stuff. But she was driving a car without having to pay for it and stuff, and I was doing the insurance and everything. So I helped her out. She was an adult, she paid her way through college. Now you know, she's moved on with her life. So she does help me with her brother, even though now he's an adult, like she's in Little Rock. I send him. He'll spend like a week with her to give me a break. So it's kind of hard with that. It's really hard to say. But with him being still dependent on you, you probably do need to talk to him more about being a big brother and setting the example and see what he's willing to do in support of the family. You get what I mean like that, So then it's not like you're putting an ask on him. But I do believe that it's ultimately your responsibility to set something up on the transportation with the kids. Maybe you can try to hire somebody to do that, someone who just does the right because I actually did that for my two oldest nieces a long, long time ago. I used to pick both of them up from both of their schools and you know, bring them to my mother's house and take mothers to my niece, to my sisters. They pay me to do it, so it wasn't a lot of money. It was just like the gas, but it was just the fact that, you know, I was able to get them and spend time. But I didn't mind doing it because my daughter was very young and I wasn't working full time. So you could find a mom that you could hire to support you.
Speaker 2: Possibly, I've got a list. I've got a list. I'm listening to you talking. I've got a list. First of all, once you make up your mind that you're complete, that you're leaving, be willing to ask for help. Be willing to ask for help, because sometimes when we are exiting, our pride gets in the way and we try to do everything. We don't want anybody to know our business. No, no, be willing to ask for help and then asking for help, be sure to ask for what you need. Now, this is a very very important part I heard, miss isis say this, and it's educate the children. That means be sure, if they're old enough, you be sure to tell them you know what information to give and what information not to give. That's very very delicate because sometimes if they have a relationship with the parent, the other parent they you know, will just oh, well, we're living over at Aunt Tillies and we went to the pizza shop over on you know, West Blaine. So how you do that is very very delicate. I think throughout the process, particularly if there are children involved, communication is key, and don't make the children responsible. You can almost make it fun. I learned with my kids that children will do anything for pizza. Anything you promise pizza, they will do anything. So you say, listen, me and daddy are not going to be living together. He's trying to find a way. I'm trying to find a way. Or if you're a man, you know me and mommy, or if it's the same section, whatever your situation is, and tell the children, so listen right now, we're in transition.
Speaker 1: We're in a different way.
Speaker 2: So we got to be careful about how we talk about where we are. Things are going to settle down, things are going to be okay. But right now, let's not tell everybody that we're living over at aren't felicious. You know, find a way to talk to the children so that it doesn't frighten them. It gives them the necessary information and you know, it communicates to them what's going on. I want to I want to be sensitive and mindful of those situations where you are in danger. Where you are in danger, whether it's physical violence or sometimes even emotional violence, and you get to that moment when you have to exit, if you don't have a strategy, at the very least, find the nearest shelter, find the nearest women's center, find your nearest police station, find out whose sofa you can be on for a week or two before you just jump up or say anything. If you have the opportunity, at least put those pieces in place so that you can be safe. Safety must be a part of your exit strategy.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this Welcome back.
Speaker 2: We're talking about an exit strategy and what makes an exit strategy necessary. Well, sometimes the relationship has just broken down, as they would say in the legal system, irreputable differences. They cannot be fixed, they will not be fixed. Sometimes you're just miserable, you're unhappy, they're unhappy. You've just got to get out. And sometimes it's just time. It's just time. You've grown apart, you're moving in different directions. Maybe who you are now is not who you were when you got together, and you want to spread your wings, you know, flap your wings, whatever you want to do with them. Sometimes it's just time. Honor that intuitive thing. Honor that intuitive part of you that says, this is done, this is over. And when you get that, don't try to make up reasons to stay. And yes, it will be difficult, it will be challenging. Don't get caught up in the story. Don't get caught up in the story. And here's a piece where people sometimes get stuck. What are they going to do without me? Or what am I going to do without them? If you can avoid asking that question, avoid it at all costs. Exit strategy. Let's continue with the conversation. Yeah, here's the thing, here's the thing, and I have to advocate for the son because I can't speak for his dad. You know, he's in a critical place in his life. He's got all his puper cares now, he's got you know, miss the man and his two people down there. You know, does he have a girlfriend. He's getting ready to go to college. He's going to have to deal with the stress of college. He's finding hisself. The last thing he needs to do right now is to become responsible for his mother.
Speaker 1: He don't need to do that now.
Speaker 2: I do believe that once he gets his college schedule, you can say, boo boo Tuesday and Thursday, I need you to pick up your sister. Okay, because once he has midterms and research and maybe football or he got the little girlfriend he he this is his time. He didn't end his marriage. You did right, and you also want to give him to So make it two or three days a week. Then if you have to hire somebody, it's only two days or three days. You know, to move the other kids around. Hundreds of thousands of women do this all the time. You have to figure this out. And we're not asking you to be a superwoman. We're asking you to have a clear vision, a plan and boundaries. Because you exited without a plan. See all of this you should have did before you paid your security deposit on you apartment.
Speaker 1: And you didn't.
Speaker 2: Here we are what is your vision? What is your vision? My vision is that me and my three children are going to live in this house. And again, is there a possibility that they're with you a week and with.
Speaker 1: Him a week?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Is that a possibility. Is it a possibility that maybe two days a week you can work from home so that you can go get the kids. Is that a possibility? Have you asked for what you needed even in your work experience? Is that a possibility? So you got to open up, get out of the story. Oh he did me wrong, he didn't me bad. I'm forced now to live over here in the bushes with the squirrels. No, what do you need? Make a list of what you need. I need somebody to handle a four year old. I need somebody to get the fifteen year old here. I need somebody to get the nineteen year old here. I need you know whatever, Make a list of what you need, and your vision is to get it handled with Grayson ees? So can the kids be with him a week? Or can if the sun can do it? Two days of the week. He can arrange his college schedule that way, because you don't want him to become overwhelmed and drop out of school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I don't want that, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is really his time. He's nineteen, he's learning independence, interdependence, developing relationships. He's going into college. He's got to do his own study, his own research. He's got to move around classes, he's got to navigate that. And yes, he can pick his brother up or sister up or whatever it is, two days a week. And then here's the big part. Clutch you girls. Clutch your pearls right now.
Speaker 1: Clutch them.
Speaker 2: You have to have a clear com You have to have a clear conversation with the woodsman. And the conversation is this is what I'm doing, This is what I'm asking you to do, This is what I need, and this is what I'm asking you for and we can do it privately, quietly among ourselves, or I can go to court. And no, I'm not coming back to you. I am complete. Put some base in your voice, grab on to your lady balls and put that boy in this place. You got lady balls. Do you know where your lady balls are?
Speaker 3: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 1: And your lady balls have to have more hair on him than his dogs.
Speaker 2: Hey man, you got some work to do, my beloved, You've got some work to do. All of the things that we talked about. The first thing is get a vision for a year from now when me and miss Isis are gone on doing whatever we're doing. What do you want your life to look like? The next step? What do you need? What do you need the next step? What resources do you have the next step? What role are you asking him to play? And then you create clear boundaries. You enjoy your line in the sand, you know. And if it becomes a matter of you or him, you know, the husband and his feelings. I don't know why you're feeling sorry for him. You need to go have some apple liquor and get over that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, if.
Speaker 2: It becomes a matter of you and him, take him down. And I don't mean in a negative derogatory way, but I mean, get what you need because you got three young ones that you gotta deal with. You the mama bear. And see the thing about the Mama bear. When she's all four, she's nice and sweet and she's playing with the kids, and you know, she's picking berries but when she stands up on her two hind legs, she getting ready to jack somebody up. Get up on your two hind legs, lady, Come on, mama, bear up on your two hind legs. I am a single woman raising three children alone. They have a father, and this is the level of participation I'm requesting of him. So you're kind of backtracking your you're kind of backtracking your exit strategy.
Speaker 1: But that's okay.
Speaker 2: You can put it in place now because you're didn't exit, you just moved out, So now we're getting ready to exit. Does that make sense to you? Miss Isis, I'm a little harder than you are. I'm hardcore. I'm sorry that does that does make sense?
Speaker 4: No, everything you're saying is exactly what needs to happen. The vision is first. Yeah, yeah, probably budget in the child support, any transportation, because you guys could split that cost when you go to child support.
Speaker 2: Okay, And like I said, can he keep them a week?
Speaker 1: Can they be two weeks for two two weeks with him? Two weeks for two two weeks for them?
Speaker 2: Are you all living in the same area where he can get him to school? He takes care of them. Your two weeks. You worry about your your two weeks. He takes care of him his two weeks. You worry about him your two weeks. And that'll give you to me. You know, if you got to pick up a second job so that you can pay the transportation or whatever it can. Hundreds of thousands of women do it every day. Join the club.
Speaker 3: Hello, Well, thank you ladies. Time I do. I made so many notes.
Speaker 4: Thank you. You welcome your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Take your time, bathe, get you, get you some apple liquor, and sit down and make a plan, make your strategy.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I love it.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, alrighty, thank you so much. Miss Isis. I want to thank you. You have some powerful insights. I know I'm a little harder than you. I'm from Brooklyn, you're from Chicago. You're all a little soft around the edges.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 2: Anything y'all want you want to leave our listeners with. In terms of creating an exit strategy, I.
Speaker 4: Would probably say my favorite scripture I can do all things with Christ. That's what I want to leave everybody with. Just remember that and stay humble, stay true to God, try to be as righteous as possible in this time when you are making an exit plan, just know God is with you. He has not left you. But if your situation is bad, ask yourself, is this a part of God's plans? Because most likely the answer is know a part of his plan is you accident? So that's what I want to leave everybody with.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Percises.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you, and good luck to you and your future endeavors. Exit strategy, Exit strategy. We've got some good good notes for you today. As our last caller demonstrated, you got to have the strategy to get out before you leave. And leaving isn't just about being gone. Leaving is about navigating the new normal, creating the new normal. And how do you stay gone? And particularly if you're a woman, I'm telling you check between your toads under your breast and your armpit behind your ear low, because if there's any part of you that is still entertaining a relationship with him, you're in a weak position. Have your vision. Have your vision. As our second caller demonstrated to us, you got to have a vision for where you're going and what it's going to look like, and show up in the new place in the way you want to be handled. If you left an economy position and you're moving into premium economy, show up that way. If you left premium economy and you showing you moving into a business class or first class, show up that way. That means how you present yourself, how you hold yourself, how you're thinking. The other thing I think in the exit strategy, and this is very important, get out of the story. Stay out of the story of what happened and why it happened, and if only it hadn't happened, and what would have happened if it hadn't Forget that.
Speaker 1: Forget that.
Speaker 2: You can process that through your prayers. You can process that through your breathing, you can process that through your journaling. Keep your eye focused on the vision for moving forward, and process your feelings as you go along. Yeah, this is so important. And extra strategy is your plan, and it's best that you set it up before you leave as you're in whatever relationship it is. Because our second caller wasn't leaving a marriage or a relationship. She was leaving a tendency, okay, but she was clear that how she showed up as a tenant wasn't authentic.
Speaker 1: So be authentic. Be authentic.
Speaker 2: If I had one other thing to say to our last caller, it would be well, I think I did say, she's got to have a conversation with him. With him, draw your line in the sand, and if they cross it, don't back up. Draw your line in the sand and have clear consequences about what happens if they cross that line. And here's the big thing. Whether it's a partner, a spouse, a family member, a job, a landlord, you don't have to stop loving the person, but you do get to choose the level of access you give them. Say yes to the love, no to the access. Say yes to the love, but no, you can no longer access me or my life in that way. Exit strategies, they are important. We didn't get a lot of time to talk about your exit strategy from Bad Behave, But you can use any of these things that we've talked about to create yours. Have your exit strategy, have your little pool and your pennies over on the side. Check yourself out to make sure that all parts of you are in agreement and alignment with the exit. Okay, otherwise you'll be back and forth.
Speaker 1: And pray, pray, pray, pray, pray, pray.
Speaker 2: Breathe and pray, pray and breathe, breathe and pray, pray and breathe. That sometimes that's all you got to hang on too. I hope you've heard something today that will help you, support you, give you some guidelines and tips, open your eyes about the importance of an exit strategy. I'll see you next time. Until then, stay in peace and not in pieces. Bye. Ther Spot is a production of audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite show.