Speaker 1: It's nine O g one O engine with Jenny Garth and Tory spelling.
Speaker 2: Okay, omg ars Amy and I are here today to break it down for you. Season eight, episode thirteen, Comic Relief. Are you laughing?
Speaker 1: What you're laughing? Because of the title first comedy of all time? Like so very bad, so bad?
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a question for you. Do you like to go see stand up comedy in Jensen?
Speaker 1: Good ones? Good ones? I love it, Oh my god? But have you only gone to bad ones like I love going to like I've gone to big you know, like shows where Jerry Seinfeld or like you know Dane Cook back in the day when he was like selling out, like you know, Staples Center like that, and it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Okay, I agree with that. I think back in the day it came from me going to some real bad ones like we see it the after dark, and me being like, oh my god, being nice. I'm like, oh god, I don't want them to think I'm not laughing.
Speaker 1: Oh you just courtesy laugh.
Speaker 2: No. And then I wanted to save my energy, so I would do this open mouth fake laugh and not fake laugh. Silent laugh would show bud you guys.
Speaker 1: Me, Oh do you never? Are you never? On TikTok with like comedians and it shows like clips of their work. It's so funny, like Nate BARGATSI to me is like hilarious right now. I would love to go see him in a big venue.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I feel like I'm friends with comedians and the good ones. I do love.
Speaker 1: Correct, this was horrible, like I know we haven't Okay, let me let me, I'll read the synopsis. Then okay, Brandon sneaks around, leaving Kelly with a bad feeling. Steve takes the stage and tells Jokes that he's been stealing. Valerie puts on a sexy little show, but Don is not ready to let Noah go. David starts working at a car wash called Rob. Doctor Monahan tells Kelly's you should find a new job. The car wash was named Rob. I thought he made that friend. Anyway you go, you say the director.
Speaker 2: Of the writer, so director was Chip Chalmers, writer John. I don't know this Lava Lava chilly interesting. I don't recall that writer.
Speaker 1: Well, he's not funny.
Speaker 2: Oh do you think me? They brought him ONNG so like this one's about comedy and he knows comedy better.
Speaker 1: The part that was so cringe tastic for me was when Ian so Steve is doing the audition for Comedy Night and everyone in the Peapad is laughing, and You're like, at home going, why are they laughing?
Speaker 2: This is so not funny wild enough. I could hear like Brian's real laugh there, so he was really laughing, like Ian was like pulling out like his Wait, was Brian there? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh you mean at night, because Brian wasn't there for the audition. He doesn't work at the Peapad. It's Noah, a valerie and the staff, right, Yes, are you sure Brian wasn't there. No, I'm not sure. I'm not sure, but I just.
Speaker 2: Because I feel like I heard his laft standing behind. Yeah. It was the audition part when Ian's doing like, you know, his kung fu and which he does again at the after Dark.
Speaker 1: It was so it's such bad comedy that I was like, that's what I don't understand if you're gonna have a like a comic storyline about comics, right, and I get that the ones were supposed to be bad, and that's why Ian Steve gets the gig, Like let him be funny and then he steals the joke. It's just the whole thing, and I'm like, you're an amateur who cares. Just Oh, that whole storyline just made me cringe.
Speaker 2: But part of it makes me feel like that was like Ian was just like going for it, like he's so funny on the spot. I know, but it wasn't meant to be good, right, that's the.
Speaker 1: Whole I think it was sort of meant to be good in the audition because everyone's laughing, and that's how he gets the job. And then the jokes they go flat up there the same steel joke. I don't even remember how that story ends. So dumb.
Speaker 2: He made Carly laugh and she's going through a hard time. Yeah, move and look I'm laughing, you're making me laugh.
Speaker 1: Dumb, yes, yes, super dumb. Okay, in the next dumb an we're done with that, tell me what you think of obviously, we have two parallel storylines. That's the whole thing. That We've got Kelly getting fully sexually harassed by the doctor and how that plays out and everyone's reactions and YadA YadA, And then you have Brandon with the writer and she's being overtly sexual, yes, but you interpret it differently because of his reactions too, he kisses.
Speaker 2: Her right, Yeah, but you also view it differently in most because it's it it's a female doing it to a male.
Speaker 1: Well, I've been thinking about that a lot, Like, yeah, I My problem is they've made her to something too. It's so over the top.
Speaker 2: It's so overtly like diabolical in some way.
Speaker 1: Every line is inappropriate, and the calling and the and the way she behaves, it's all so too much that I don't find it. I don't find anything redeeming in her. I'm like, you're just I agree with this.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like it's a bit fatal attraction, Like do you think there's gonna be She's gonna boil his bunny? I mean, it's I.
Speaker 1: Remember her, and I remember this whole thing that I can't remember what happens next.
Speaker 2: I don't know either.
Speaker 1: I just find both the storylines, and I obviously they're going for something, which is why they did them both at the same time. But it's almost diluting both storylines where.
Speaker 2: I'm like, like, the doctor feels creepy because of it.
Speaker 1: And she feels so over the top that I would have seen.
Speaker 2: She feels creepy to me, creepy, she's.
Speaker 1: So too much. And I also think Brandon, that's not his bag, Like he's not falling for that, so yet he's falling for it. And I'm like, you're making this character that would never fall for this, go for this. Kelly should be like you're gross by quit like or do or go tell someone? I don't know?
Speaker 2: That doctor is like he's next level.
Speaker 1: It's that both are so exaggerated. Then your reaction is like, whereas have they done them? Understated?
Speaker 2: Understated? Have you met this show? All?
Speaker 1: Right? When they in the very beginning, when the doctor it was a bit nuanced, and Kelly's like, did he didn't he? That is more how it goes.
Speaker 2: I agree, But in some way you could look at it and be like, oh, in men's DNA, it's it's how they what they think with and you know it's how so, but it's not Brandon you're right, correct.
Speaker 1: Correct, and him sneaking around it's just like, that's not Brandon's deal. So I'm like, why are you making him like she's cute the writer girl, but like Brandon's not doing that.
Speaker 2: I know, And here we get the second call that he says was a print caller or what Kelly says, wrong number last episode? This time? Was it a crank call? Yeah, and he's like, hey.
Speaker 1: Yes, Star sixty nine was around them.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It's just not it's not good storylines.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because Kelly does meet her because you know, she's like, what does she look like? And Brandon goes a normal girl. She's like, what is a normal girl? So she thinks it's because men don't notice at all, and that's why they're just like I don't know what he what she looks like? But yeah, that would have like keyed me. I would have been like normal, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Like is it in your face? Is that the reason that I'm sort of like, what is it? Two in our face? Like maybe is it too captain obvious? Right? These storylines, yes, Like I can't even engage because it's just.
Speaker 2: Like either right, You're just like these are You're right? They cancel each other out, which is unfortunate, involves two of our means. You're not dumb, just not good.
Speaker 1: The comedy thing was dumb, and this one I'm just like, this isn't.
Speaker 2: Good I'm worried that Brandon's going to actually sleep with her. I don't know. I don't remember either, but I know he wouldn't.
Speaker 1: He's all, but like, well don't I kind of do remember what happens? Actually?
Speaker 2: I do know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I do. Now, this is why they I don't want to say it. I don't want to say it, but now I do remember, I do.
Speaker 2: Why is Kelly not jealous of her when she does meet her? When she does meet her, and she's not like, uh, well, what do you do?
Speaker 1: Trusts her boyfriend, which Brandon is trustworthy. That's why the whole storyline is like dumb. I guess it is dumb.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm trying to think because she gotten. Is Kelly just not the jealous type at all?
Speaker 1: Like she trusts Brandon although she has her she's getting what do you.
Speaker 2: Mean he's burned her before? Emily Valentine like, what do you know?
Speaker 1: She didn't really know exactly all that. I know. Maybe it is Brandon. I don't know. They write him. They do him dirty a little bit. In another dumb storyline, David and the Fake Yeah, I like Noah and Donna just let them be.
Speaker 2: I like them, Who are you saying this to you? Valerie. Valerie doesn't think normal.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm just saying it's so stupid and dumb and the fake and like, come on.
Speaker 2: David, that's the thing he wouldn't But Valerie gets men convinced to do things that they normally wouldn't do. That's and.
Speaker 1: It's just like dumb.
Speaker 2: So here's what I thought. Like, I was like, okay, is that their comic like nod in this storyline because it was kind of an episode that would be like, you know, like I love Lucy, like it's not real, but like you know, and Valerie was going so over the top that I was like not a real way that I was like, oh is she trying to do?
Speaker 1: Like right? And it's kind of like Brandon and Steve have they're like, oh hey, you know to David blah blah, Like it was just like jokes, yeah, jokes, but like, yeah, you're right. I think that this is the comic relief.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like Kelly comes out of the bedroom and like every and Steve and it's like, oh my god. After a few moments of that, I had to go back and check it. I was like, wait, wait, did Jason direct this episode because there was a lot.
Speaker 1: Like his sort of yeah, but Noah is getting jealous, which I also don't believe. It's like Noah never even really liked.
Speaker 2: Her, liked her.
Speaker 1: He definitely doesn't like her, now why would he be Wait wait, he never really liked her, maybe even if it was a little bit, but then after her whole thing, Noah's way too well, Noah's not going to like a girl that's so like money hungry and that whole thing.
Speaker 2: No And it's so me to watch that storyline and not get that part. Like I'm like, oh, I probably don't deserve him anyway, so I guess it's okay he's jealous. Like hearing you say it, I'm like, yeah, you're right, what is going on? He would never behave that way.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely so weird the way you're behaving go away, Like Noah should be that guy, like they try to make him cool, so make him fully cool. Yeah, not these like and if if Brandon's going to be the honest good guy, make him the honest good guy.
Speaker 2: I am so distracted right now. You guys can't see this, but Amy's making a point and she's putting her arm out and she is best arms.
Speaker 1: No no, no, So first of all, that's so nice.
Speaker 2: Like wave goodbye.
Speaker 1: Arms.
Speaker 2: At a certain age, you just have them.
Speaker 1: I was looking at them this morning, going, oh, yuck. I gotta start lifting weights or something.
Speaker 2: Kill for those arms.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I also have frozen shoulder just so bad, so bad. But please, anyone listening, please send in your tips on frozen shoulder, because oh it's like the worst anyway. Sidebar okay. In the full pivot to the car wash storyline.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, I have one more thing to say about the Donna David Valerie Noah. When Noah and Donna get back together, did you see all that tongue.
Speaker 1: I actually think they have chemistry and are cool.
Speaker 2: I like them for even for me, I was like, whoa, because it was my tongue I was seeing, and I was like, that was a lot to see on camera.
Speaker 1: I'm over David. I don't understand, Like I just oh, stop it. He should have immediately gone back to the after like the whole thing. So now he works at the car walk. He does, yes, And here's the thing. I like that he protected the guy, befriended the guy. But going to the parents' house seemed a bit extreme for me for someone you met yesterday.
Speaker 2: I had to go back and rewind I was like, what did I miss something? Why would you do that? Is that in character? Either? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: No, because he's not He's not Brandon, right, that's what Brandon would do, right, David's the guy that would kiss the reporter a lady writer lady.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's like Ariel all over again.
Speaker 1: Correct, it's just Ariel.
Speaker 2: Oh my. They're mixing characters up because it's people writing that don't know the initial characters.
Speaker 1: The dad is over the top. It's all like, how do I explain this? That to me? The writers are like, hey, audience, this guy has a bad dad who doesn't accept him, and we're gonna make him so aggressively bad. When it's like, there's no nuance in any of these storylines.
Speaker 2: Can I look up the writer because remember I was like, I don't know this.
Speaker 1: Writer because lava chilli.
Speaker 2: Because now I'm like just.
Speaker 1: Two on the nose or something's not let me figure it out for myself.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think for a show like this, you kind of if you bring a new writer in, they have to go back and see how the characters have developed. Because you're right, fans know at this point, eight seasons in, they know their characters and what they would and wouldn't do. And that's where the problem lies.
Speaker 1: Tone, the tone, it's just all like, oh, but who allowed this? I don't know. That's why everyone says this season is so like messy.
Speaker 2: Don't say it, you were about to say it.
Speaker 1: It's just messy, just messy.
Speaker 2: John Loveacilli he's an American actor who Bann's career in nineteen eighty three as Marcus Santorro in The Lords of Discipline Paramount's adaptation. Uh okay. Then he was on Minetoba but no one cares the rocketeer ny PD Blue maumr. She wrote the practice oh twenty one Jem Street. He was an actor on all these things. He was an actor. It doesn't mention him being well right, let him write this? H what's the connection?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Amy, Please? What is going on? What?
Speaker 1: What? Just like, Hey, nice to meet you. Do you want to write the biggest show on television?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: What is the connection? Was he friends with? What is? Oh?
Speaker 1: Boy? But I mean, here's the thing. I can't blame him, because it's not like this is the only bad episode this season. I'm not going to blame him. They're all kind of bad.
Speaker 2: Sometimes. You know, one off scripts would come in because someone had a great idea.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: They would come in with an episode they would write, and then the other EPs and writing staff because we had a whole writer staff would kind of get a thinking and yeah, make it more. Yes, great, great storylines, but we're gonna kind of break down the characters for you. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: My thing is like, this is not just it's bad, but it's just equally bad as the rest.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because when I watched it, I was like, m I really judging it because I don't like bad stand up comedy. I thought it was really that that was really and then it just like fuzzed it all over for me. For the rest of.
Speaker 1: That that was particularly the low.
Speaker 2: But now breaking it down with you, it's like, wow, every storyline here was just really bad, really bad, yeah, because it just didn't feel organic to the care characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're bad, disservice bad.
Speaker 2: Well. We did have third eye blind though in the interro songs, so that's cool.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I meant to talk to you guys about the intro songs. They are just like working so hard, like they're spending all their money on the intro song. They're like, if we just start with a cool song, people will like this show.
Speaker 2: We don't have to pay much for a writer. It's never written before cool.
Speaker 1: I feel like the intros are just they've really like rocked it up too. It's kind of like edgy and you're like.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, and you know this season, the season is starting, I think, or was it last season we got a new showrunner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they changed sort of that intro.
Speaker 2: So everything started to get a different five.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of like we can fix our company, you know, like say you own some fast food restaurant and you're like, you know, what's gonna fix it? If we changed the logo and you're just like, it's not fix it. Like if we make this more red instead of orange, everyone's going to come eat our burgers.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, what's next week?
Speaker 1: Something terrible?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, stop it?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, what is going to happen to? I think we have to finish out these storylines.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, she's going to find out about the kiss. So next episode, Season eight, episode fourteen, Santa, Nos, it's Christmas, It's Christmas. What is happening? That happened already.
Speaker 1: No, By the way, I'm still feeling the effects of the time change. Wow, the jet lag is real from the one hour. Oh, I don't know. What do you think of this episode? And like in general right now, what is your feeling?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not feeling very good about it. After you broke it down from me.
Speaker 1: It's like, but it's sort of oak, it's so dumb, it's fine almost okay, Yeah, it's like, okay, fine.
Speaker 2: We didn't talk about Kelly being the model for Domin's photoshop.
Speaker 1: First of all, how she's like, you know, I'm not modeling anymore. Let me get my book, Like it's just like sos. And then what happens they love her? Is she going to model more? Now I'm trying to remember, how about you hiring models? Like you're just hearing models? What?
Speaker 2: Because I deal with all of it, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I sort of blanked. I sort of blanked on this storyline part.
Speaker 2: I didn't remember this.
Speaker 1: Then the creepy doctor sees her photos.
Speaker 2: It's also right, so that's the whole reason.
Speaker 1: I think that's the photos fell out of the purse and she's like, those are mine, don't look the whole thing is just right.
Speaker 2: Was he say if you want to work in preschool or like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, he's terrible? Is he? Are we done with him?
Speaker 2: He's a monster. I don't think so, because Brandon now at least is not just like right diffusing. He's acknowledging it, which thank god, but he's saying, if this happens again, you're gonna have to like tell someone again. It's okay, right, it already happened once, and he told her basically it wasn't happening.
Speaker 1: So like, my thing is, she's working for whoever the higher the Wyatt clinic, and then she goes and works. Remember she was at the one place and drove the van and then she was at the doctor. Just go back to that lady and say this creepy doctor, I don't want to work there anymore. Move me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very it's kind of un Kelly to not say something. She's been through enough and mean victimization in so many ways and this shit, God, that's like season eight. She's been through hell and back like I think she at this point would call this doctor out quick.
Speaker 1: Totally get that out of there. He's mean and scary, creepy, creepy.
Speaker 2: Oh does this doctor and Emma end up together?
Speaker 1: Remember when he rubbed her neck?
Speaker 2: He's grossing gross makes me a puke. So how do I feel about this episode?
Speaker 1: I don't even know how to rate it.
Speaker 2: Like, rate it like a six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the girls looked hot, though everybody looks good. I was watching for the fashion, fashion, the makeup's good this season.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to really like Noah. I kind of like Noah.
Speaker 2: Clearly I did too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Six, it's just very sixsh.
Speaker 2: Six seven six seven.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, talk to you later, see you next week.
Speaker 2: I love Yeah