Speaker 1: It is Friday, December eighth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number eighty five. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are a live from that WBC Mortgage studios at the Star, and today we get to talk a little bit about Cowboys versus Eagles. Will let you know what we think is gonna happen this weekend. That game is a Sunday night tilt. Should be a very interesting game, hopefully a fun game, and hopefully Cowboys got a win. We'll see before we get going.
Speaker 2: That new game hit the over. Oh my god, by barely did you watch it? No?
Speaker 1: I did either, Like I was like, I'm not watching this.
Speaker 2: I was watching.
Speaker 1: I'm I was watching, and I watch anything.
Speaker 3: I'm not happy. Wasn't half bad, but it was a Zeke game.
Speaker 4: Kudos to Zeke for being able to basically get that he willed.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Zeke, I couldn't watch it, bro.
Speaker 3: That was the game. I can over one.
Speaker 4: Hundred and fifty roughly one hundred watch from scrimmage. Yeah yeah, like that helped see.
Speaker 3: The win for them, but all screaming for him.
Speaker 4: He saved a pick six, so z that he throws the ball and it would have been a pick six that probably would have one would have won the game for Pittsburgh, and Zeke went from zero to I did see that gun the guy down through knife through guys to gun the guy down at the sideline and it ended up the next driving the turnover on down so Patriots got the ball back.
Speaker 3: So Zeke was playing defense and offense.
Speaker 2: That's why his mom tweeted out he made a tackle at Florida. A.
Speaker 3: Yeah she did.
Speaker 2: She's like this guy he could tackles, acting like he can't tackle.
Speaker 1: You know, still love hes such a football mom. You could see the football mom.
Speaker 2: Too, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're a family full of athletes, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Mom was an athlete. Think she's a big time track star, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, that's where they kind of get. But so it was that dad was in the as well. So I mean it's it's in the blood.
Speaker 1: Lineeah, no doubt. But before we get going, we gotta say happy birthday time on B hey G, happy birthday.
Speaker 5: Thank you, So don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: It's twenty one and we'll just repeat, okay, just twenty one.
Speaker 3: I was going to say twenty nine. Q so because we're like this.
Speaker 5: You know this My funny thing is, you know, the funny thing is that when I was a lot younger I used to be, I would get so annoyed with women that wouldn't say their age. I'm like, who cares big, Like, You're so ridiculous. And now I've hit this and I'm like, well now I get it. You know, man, all types of happeningsday.
Speaker 2: But man, so Pollard and Micah together, Brian.
Speaker 5: Scouting, Yeah, football team, it's not scouting people's ages.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm about to be sixty right Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Man, every year is a blessing. So I'm like, you can know exactly how many you might.
Speaker 2: Do without me soon? You know.
Speaker 5: That's Oh no, don't say that.
Speaker 1: You got one coming up here too, Tuesday?
Speaker 2: Is that going to be sixty sixty? One of my fun times to my memory, I turned fifty Nick Arrange. Yeah, Sean Lee, oh bring me fifty Jersey on birthday?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Nice?
Speaker 2: That was That was one of the cooler times. Sewan like, I heard there's a birthday and Sean Lee like, what did I say?
Speaker 1: Did I make mad?
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, happy birthday, and I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Luckily it was a great player that wore fifty at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a great player that worked all right.
Speaker 1: But happy birthday a genre. Happy to have you on the show today. I didn't know if you show up. I figured you might be like, wake up and be like, I'm chilling the day, I'm not coming in. So I was waiting for that phone call.
Speaker 5: But no, no, no, I was gonna show up. I'll come in here now. I have issues today.
Speaker 1: You know, was that on the show you were talking about it yesterday or was that just off the show?
Speaker 5: It was on the break.
Speaker 1: It was on the break and you just put it like I'm pretty sure, she said on the air, So you might. You might just need to tell everybody why you're now.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 5: Some people know what I'm talking about. It tends to get under my skin sometimes with some of the updates. Love you Ben, yeah yeah, but they love doing updates and Geary up dates, and this one in the middle of the season they decided to do when he just screwed up my whole computer and he messes your workflow, like things don't work properly, your dog is it's messed up. And I was complaining about it yesterday during the break and then today, and I remember, I'm like, man, I how to change my password today, which was yesterday my last day.
Speaker 1: And I waited god like, by the way, by the way, they give you a two week notice, like they start every day counting down like fourteen days, you have thirteen day, twelve days, like they gave her a chance. They gave her every opportunity.
Speaker 2: Me and Hellman used to gamble on this all the time. How close can you get before it actually goes away?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm locked. I'm locked out today and I have to go find that ta and see if they can unlock my account.
Speaker 4: I'm just imagining the smile on Ben's face as you walk up.
Speaker 3: It's just ear to ear like the cheshire cat. Oh oh now.
Speaker 1: All right, yes, happy birthday he is. Let's go and jump in. Let's talk a little bit about some injuries. We got to get update on Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 4: What do we know, Yeah, fantastic news. Mike is back in the building this morning. Oh and Jerry two days ago, Yeah, two days ago, not even forty eight hours, less than forty eight hours ago.
Speaker 3: So he's back in the building.
Speaker 4: And Jerry Jones Tote one O five three the fan this morning that it will be quote unquote business as usual when it comes to the coaching regimen for this Sunday. So Mike and I'm assuming that means Mike will be on the subside, because business as usual is exactly that, business as usual. Kind of a funny thing that Dak said yesterday when I asked Dak about the potential of Mike being on the field or being available to coach, and he said, you know, he's he's a tough guy, and he's always saying he's a tough guy, so so prove it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love that. I love that. So I'm sure Mike saw that.
Speaker 4: It was like, oh, okay, so yeah, Micha will be back in the bill. We'll see if he's on the field, but it sounds like he'll be on the field less than four days after having an emergency ampedectomy. As far as the injury report, with a lot of guys returning from a veteran rest day, it trunk quite a bit veteran rest day for Zach Martin on yesterday. Tyrone Smith is still on the planned Capital T Capital P Matt Well Let's go Who's twenty one day practice window was activated on Wednesday, he was upgraded to full participant and the usual Rico Daldo still dealing with that ankle, he was limited Peyton Hendershot, he's still on the injury report, but he's been activated to the fifty three man roster, sending Sean McEwan with an ankle injury to IR. So for the most part, outside of those who are on IR, Cowboys are really healthy going into this game, So knock on wood that stays the case. After Fridays and Saturday's practice.
Speaker 1: Have you guys gotten any indication as to whether what they did with Zach is going to be a normal thing. Obviously right now Tyron really isn't practicing on full practices and it's worked like it does seem as though he's a little more spry. Does it seem like maybe they're they're going down that track with Zach now this week, giving him that rest as.
Speaker 2: We we have the opportunity on win five through the Fan to interview him every Thursday, and he he talks about how hard it is to get back for these games, and especially with the number of games they played in the number of days. So I think they're being very mindful of his situation. And you know, his his age, but yeah, he I it sounds like just talking to him that he really appreciates he likes to practice, but he also, you know, he also appreciates feeling better because we asked him the question about that, and you know he's talking about the mini buy and how much it helped his body and stuff. So I think the I think the organization is being just really mindful about it. If he said, if they said go practice, he'd go practice. But he does appreciate them allowing him not to have to go out there and bang around a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's not a spring chicken anymore, and I think everybody involved recognizes that. And now we're getting into the back end of the season where you know, the wear and here it can really start to show itself. So it just makes sense that, you know, you would start to kind of ease back on his practice workload. But like Brian said, Zach, whatever you need him to do as far as press, he will get out there and do it. But it's just wise by McCarthy and his staff to look at a guy as valuable as Zach Martin on an offensive line that has had more than its share of adversity this season with injury and saying, hey, we need you.
Speaker 3: For this, for this push.
Speaker 4: So yeah, if you don't practice one or two times a week, if it helps you be refreshed for Sunday or you know, Monday, so be it.
Speaker 3: So I like it.
Speaker 5: And it also comes at a time where now you can say everyone's on the same like in sync and on the same page. As far as the old line, I know we were. There were a few weeks where we were discussing they needed to practice together and that wasn't happening. They have enough enough time to do that. I think they found the rhythm now and it's okay for those guys to to rest and then give reps to the other guys behind them.
Speaker 4: That just really just put el DeBarge in my head. So now it's gonna be stuck for the rest of the day, in the month, and in the morning. I'm showing my age now. But yeah, thanks for that, because I.
Speaker 1: Love this, like you just had to sing it, like, okay, oh I'm not afraid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll put myself out there.
Speaker 1: You know, I ain't man at you. All right, Matt, let's go. You mentioned him what what realistically can they expect from him. Is this really more about just getting in practice time or is this something where they expect that maybe he can fill in and be a backup type player for this season.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like this is more gear to twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this is like, you know, kind of figure out, let him have these next you know, the twenty one days, take the full amount about it and go about it that way, you know. But and maybe they'll have an ability to put him on hopefully they won't have to use him in any way. But I think this is more about he's missed a lot of time, yeah, and so now it's trying to make up. I don't know how much you can make up in twenty one days with the way that they practice, but at least he's out there doing something. And I think this is more about twenty twenty four hopefully for that.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's that in addition to just its insurance, right, so you never know what's going to happen with the injuries on the offensive line. So if you start this twenty one day window, now, that's it's allowing him to practice and get those reps in so best case you don't need him, and a guy like Austin Richards remains available, and then you let him revert to season ending and hey see you again in twenty twenty four. But then another scenario is if you were knock on wood to lose a guy like Austin Richards for whatever case in late December, guess what, Well, let's go has been practicing and he's ready to be activated. So it just makes sense on both on both notes.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go ahead and take our first break. When we come back from that break, we're going to talk about the Cowboys versus the Eagles. Have a few questions for you guys, some matchup questions. Well, then when we come back Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 7: Radio, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savanta. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatable planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 9: Cowboys fans, after that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 2: Let's roll back the tapes.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on.
Speaker 3: His Bank of America Mobile Banking.
Speaker 9: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 4: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 9: Everica is only available in the English language. You mut download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices. Messaging dat atesy apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 10: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you.
Speaker 6: Dear Doctor?
Speaker 11: My friend supported me during a tough time, But what's the right gift?
Speaker 7: That says thanks for being the shoulder.
Speaker 6: To cry out.
Speaker 10: Oh okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 11: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial moweres, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 1: Back to the Break.
Speaker 2: Experience the magic of the Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at Christmas time, available through the holiday season on select dates only. Christmas Tours of the Star gets you a VIP viewing of Ambar Garcia at the Cowboys at Christmas extravaganza and holiday themed guided tour of the Star. Festive takeaways include a limited ornament and a Santa Hat. Space is limited. Book your visit at the Star at frisco dot com slash Tours today.
Speaker 1: Welcome Back. It is the second segment of The Break live from the SWBC Morgan Studios at the Star. The segment brought to you by blockchain dot com. Dot com dot com are going on there, All right, let's jump in the sock a little Cowboys versus Eagles. I don't know if you guys saw Nick Bosa was speaking to the media, and I thought it was really interesting. Of course, the Eagles are rooting for the Cowboys this weekend because they're thinking, hey, we need somebody else to put another loss on the Eagles. I'm sorry, forty nine put another loss on the Eagles because you know that'll put them in position to be the number one seed, which got me danging. I don't know I necessarily want them to be the number one seed, especially well, especially if the Cowboys is gonna be the fit seed. I don't necessarily want them at one. But that all beside the point he made the comment that they put on tape the blueprint for how you handle Jalen Hurts. My question for you guys is, as you watch that game and have watched film, what do you think is that blueprint.
Speaker 2: And talking about it?
Speaker 1: It's that four man.
Speaker 3: And hold, contain, keep containing, keep him in the pocket.
Speaker 2: Don't get at a lanees. That's the whole thing. You got to play with discipline. Buffalo did the same thing, you know, and but it's when you it's when they're a good enough offensive line that when they when you twist your front, when you move your front, they're good enough of taking your two guys and pinning them to one side. They're they're that type of they're they're powerful, they're athletic. And so what happens if you keep your rush in your integrity of the pocket and the way you rush. We talk about making him play backwards, make play off his back foot, make him hold the ball, make him make the decision of nobody's open, I've got to throw it away. That's what That's exactly what Buffalo did. That's exactly what the forty nine ers did. You know, they maintain their their level of rush and they didn't give him the gaps, the crevices, the space anything. When he sees that, when he sees you your defensive front all wadded up on one side of the field, he's going to run. That's just the way he plays. I mean, he doesn't want to run, but he'll do it in a way to hurt you to get to the next down. So that's exactly what Bosa was talking about.
Speaker 4: And what's wild about it about it is the outrage from Eagles fans. And I don't understand it because if you've watched your quarterback over the course of this season we'll keep it to this season, then you know that that's something that opposing defenses continually try to do, is they try to keep him in the pocket, maintain the lanes, and keep him contained and then force him to either make that throw or stand there and get sacked by.
Speaker 3: The interior pressure.
Speaker 4: So seeing Nick Bosa say it, I think for Eagles fans it was just more so, Oh, well, it's a guy who just helped humiliate us on our own field, and now he's also rooting for the Cowboys to do the same. But truth be told, we talk about I said it yesterday. It's one thing to have the blueprint of another team It's another thing to have the toolbox. The Cowboys have the toolbox. So I love what Bosa said because it's true. Hopefully you know, while the Cowboys are handling business against the Eagles and the hours prior, the Seahawks would have handled business against the forty nine ers, to kind of wipe that smug look off his face, because I mean, thanks for cheering for the Cowboys, Bosta this week, but go Seahawks, right, So I mean, but nothing Bosa said is pulled out of thin air. It's something that teams have been trying to do to him, and they did it successfully.
Speaker 2: See what you worry about in this game is it's really easy to say to brush for and play and try and contain he is banged up. I think he's more healthy, if that's just the right way to say it. I think he's healthier this game than he was in Week nine with his injury. And so now it turns into like, Okay, I'm just gonna run and I'm in pain. I'm gonna run and i'm gonna get down and i'm gonna get out of bounce. But I'm gonna make you. I'm gonna make you have to defend me running. I don't think he wants to do all the read option stuff. I just think it's now either handed off or throw the screen. I don't think he's interested in running the ball. But if you force him to run the ball, he will run the ball. And but you got to be you gotta be disciplined the way you play against him, because even as banged up as he might everybody thinks he is, he's still capable of getting spring one, eight, ten, twelve, fifteen yards and then get down or get out of bound.
Speaker 1: So here's one of the challenges. I think that happens sometimes in football. You can look at a matchup like this and I hear what you guys are saying of you know, you you kind of have to stay in your lanes and maybe avoid some of those Yeah, some of those twists and stunts. But the fact of the matter is that's what they do. Like, they do a lot of twists and stunts.
Speaker 2: So they don't rush four, right, But how do you look at the metrics? They don't rush four. This is something that they're not accustomed to. They blitz on second down and they rush more. They're five to six man rush team. Now I get that.
Speaker 1: I guess. What I'm saying though, is they also do a lot of twists, right, a lot of stunts. And so where I'm wondering is how much do you say, for a particular matchup, let's get away from what we normally do in order to take advantage of the matchup versus this is what we normally do, and it's what we're best at, and we're gonna stick with that, even if that could expose us a bit.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing about it is twists and stunts and games and all that go really well when you play the Giants or the Rams or somebody that has a bad offensive line. That's the problem when you play the Eagles is that you know where Dallas is going to have to win this game, I think is in the middle of their defense. I think they're gonna have to find a way to affect and bosas also talking about affecting eye level, which is every quarterback's nightmare. When you see the rush and your eyes go down and then you you take it, and that's why it hurts holds the ball, you know, he holds it. He sees the rush and it keeps coming, and then he looks back up and then he tries to make a play. The twists, the games and all that that that get you could get away when you have an offensive line that doesn't have athletic ability. That's the one thing that these tackles to me, running Micah against these offensive tackles is a wasted rep that it just is. You know, put him against you know, Cam Jurgens, or put him against Kelsey, you know, put him against one of those guys that he could clearly win one on one. You know, with those other Johnson will just run you wide. I mean, he'll just push you why And my Allota on the other side is big enough that sometimes you can get him on the inside rush. But if you keep going wide on him, he's just a big body he's gonna make He's just gonna force you wide, force you wide, and you'll never get there. So to me, I when the twist, the games, the front, all that stuff against inferior offensive lineman work. When you twist, like I said earlier, when you twist against this front, they'll pin you to one side there good enough to adjust back and just pin you down there. And now that whole left side of of your defensive line is exposed. And there's the ability to kind of go out that door.
Speaker 4: If you want to approve you're an elite defense, you have to be able to be versatile and what's required of you on a week to week basis. Go back to week five and we talked about going into that game against the forty nine ers. What did the forty nine ers typically do as far as defensive secondaries go. It was primarily zone and then they switched to man on demand and they were very effective in stopping the Cowboys and doing that. This is not a different situation entirely when you say, okay, well, yeah, you're better as a defensive front in Dallas with twists and stunts and games and things like that, but be able to adapt to the opponent. This is an opponent that you would have a much easier time dealing with if you just say line up one, two, three, four and go beat your man. Go beat your man straight up. We're not going to get fancy with this. And then for those times where you can't beat your man, make sure you get your hands up in the passing lanes. They try to bat down some of those quick outs, those quick slants and things like that disrupt the level, like Brian said, and this is definitely one of those games where don't get too fancy with a lot of that that movement with the twists and the stunt.
Speaker 3: Just go line up nose to nose and just beat your man.
Speaker 4: And then if you lose that particular rep, make sure that you impact that rep by hands in the air. You know, go full JJ Watt if you need to just try to disrupt the rep however you can.
Speaker 5: I have a question before break. We know we've seen some struggles in the secondary the last couple of weeks. If you were to evaluate the Cowboys defense right now versus how they looked the first time they faced the Eagles earlier this season, how different are they.
Speaker 2: The Eagles or the Cowboys. I think there was the questions that I had about the Cowboys defense the first time around. I was worried about the run defense at that point in time. I was really worried about their ability to I was I thought that Philadelphia would just load up been trying and run the football on them. I think they're better equipped now. I've learned this about the Cowboys. It's usually not about them getting whipped up front. With how teams play against them. It's a lot of it has to do with self afflicted where they jump gaps, don't play, scheme, don't fit, you know. I think they have a better understanding of where they need to be in the run game part of it. So I think that's something you could kind of count on. What I would worry about in this game is that we saw the Seahawks with some of those inbreaking routes and I mean the slants, and this could be this is something that the Eagles like to do. They like to throw the end, they like to throw the slant. Can Bland, can gilboth? Can they safeties? Can the safeties react? You know? You know, but you play so much single high there that it's kind of hard to take away slants, which is one unless you're shading to that one side, you know. So I feel like the Cowboys defensively against the run could be fine in this game. The pass this is what worries me, especially the quick stuff. If they go to the slant game and we've seen them give up some plays down the field with some of the vertical routes and stuff. I felt like that maybe the first time around we didn't see that as much, but now we're starting to kind of see that teams are you know, you throw the slant. I mean they what the they've had they if you go back throughout the year with the Jets, the Jets had a slant in what Week two that went for a touchdown long one. We've seen them have some problems with with those, with those routes that break inside a little bit, And that would be my concern, my biggest concern if I were the Cowboys in this game coming up.
Speaker 4: I think they've shown that they haven't figured out in both run defense and pass defense. But when you come out of a game like you had against the Seahawks, and I've said this before, I sait it on the fan, I can't give enough roses to Geno Smith for being able to get the ball out just as quickly as he could. There was nothing you could really do about that. But the Cowboys need against the Eagles, they need to combine those two things. They need to combine the fact that they helped bottle up Jalen Hurts in that run defense outside of the you know the game world touchdown.
Speaker 3: That was more and SOI screen to the right.
Speaker 4: But they were able to show that they can bottle them up there, and they've been showing that they can bottle up receivers through the course of the season by not allowing a one hundred yard.
Speaker 3: Receiver until the Seahawks. And there's other contextuals there as well. As three games in eleven days and your third game happens to be against this corps, that receiver corps. That's that's a handful.
Speaker 4: So now they're more arrested coming off of the many buy it's the second another chance for them. I don't see them having a bad day at the office in the passing game. Two games in a row, and both of those games are at home. I think they bounced back well. But as far as the totality is concerned, I think this is a better defense than the one that went up to Philadelphia, and it's definitely a more motivated one because there's more on the line now and again, they do not want to be the reason that the Cowboys are fearful of losing this game late in the fourth quarter, not for a second consecutive week. The offense saved the game save the day last week, So you better believe Michaeh Tank and those guys. They're like you're not going to with that on us this week. We're going to be out there, we're going to play some ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, we mentioned Seattle, and I wonder if this whole concept of the blueprint goes both ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Philadelphia looks at that game and they say, hey, if we can get our quick passing game going, Dallas might struggle with that because, for whatever reason, a lot of times those corners will back off and they'll give you that quick that quick slant, they'll give you that quick end, that quick out. If you can get your quick passing game going, that could be a problem for Dallas.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There were a couple of times too where I thought Dallas against Seattle got caught in some bad coverages third and two and they're playing off and it's a nine yard pass to Smith and Jigba on the out and you're like, going, man, that was way too easy for them. You know, they're fighting, you know, you're fighting to get off the field, and you allow them to catch the ball for nine yards. Yeah, that that might be a little bit of being a little shy about. Okay, we're if we play up on these guys, we're going to give up a bigger play. Yeah, you know, so they were explosive. Yeah, this is a good receiver crew. And we'll see what happens with their tight end. You know, him coming back and is he in game shape? Is he ready to go? There's so many problems that he presents on third down and I think the Cowboys saw a little bit of that last time that they played. Well.
Speaker 4: The beauty of it is and as we have this conversation, we talk about, you know, where defenses are. I think the Eagles defense is it was already not great. Run defense was in week nine, the secondary not so much. I think the secondary is worse now entering week fourteen than it was in week nine. And the Cowboys offense is better entering week fourteen than it was in week nine. So yeah, we're talking about, you know, how Dallas got it impact the game if he will? Will he have some rush that he needs to knock off and these quick end routes which is nothing that the Cowboys aren't accustomed to, because this is what the Eagles do anyway, So the Seahawks doing it no big deal. But when you talk about the Cowboys and Lamb being moved all around and Cook's now getting involved in some of these other guys. Jake Ferguson really coming on strong, and the list goes on and on, Cavante Turpin. There are a lot of stress points for this Eagle secondary that is one of the worst in the league. So you know the have more than their handful as well. So as long as the Cowboys offense is what it has been, they could get out to a fast start and they could use the scoreboard as the twelfth defender.
Speaker 1: All right, real quick, let's talk about the have these two questions. I want you all, you all to answer, Who's the most dangerous offensive player for Philadelphia and who's the most dangerous defensive player for Philadelphia in this matchup.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna lean with the Smith that I know. Everybody talks about Brown and what he can do. AJ Brown and he's just a physical beast out there. But Davonte Smith, to me is the one I feel like though when the game, when Hurts needs a play a convert, he is going to look for number six. His kid has got great body control, he plays with balance, he's fast, he catches everything you throw at him, So I would worry about him. He's the guy that bothers me the most going into this one.
Speaker 4: Offensive Liam, I'm gonna go with Jalen Hurts. I mean that's as we have this conversation. He's still on top of the conversation for MVP. And if you can, if your game plan is effective against Hurts and or you can get hands on him, or you can force him to throw where you want him to throw, how you want him to throw. You will negate Davante Smith, you will negate aj Brown, you in the gate, Dallas got it. So for me, their passing game, it starts and it ends with what Jalen can do. And that also includes if you allow him to leak out the backside and stretch plays and extend drives. That's just going to make for a longer day. So for me offensively, Jalen Hurts. Defensively, they have some dogs up front. But I'm gonna go with Hasan Reddick. Yeah, Hassan Reddick. He's just too good at what he does. He can go speed to power, and his speed is that real problem for opposing offensive tackles. So keep an eye on on Hassan Reddick if you can bottle him up or keeping keep him kind of negated as much as you can, then you will have an opportunity, several opportunities for explosive plays. If not, Dak's gonna have to use his legs more than he has been using.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a can very well come down to how well Terrence Steel plays and how well that they they handle Reddick off that off that left side for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I still think that Terrence still has been improving. Yes, and he's a guy that right now, A lot of the senses that I'm getting from a lot of people is they don't they still have full trust in him just yet with him with dealing with that injury and the way he's coming back, even though he's been improving, he's still a guy that you know, you mentioned it the other day. If you allow a pass rusher to get through you, ye three times, you're that's a bad game. Like So it's it's a it's an area where it can definitely affect the game and affect how Dak Prescott plays. So one thing that that is in their advantage for the Cowboys is the fact that Dak is playing so fast and he's getting rid of the ball so quickly, and he's been feeling a lot more comfortable using his legs, getting out of the p if needed, and running. So at least there is that positive side that you have a quarterback that right now feels a lot more comfortable with everything that he's doing. So hopefully that doesn't become a factor, but definitely a player to watch there and a matchup to watch. And I was gonna go with Galen Hurts too, just because I mean that's where it all starts. And Gellen Hurts even when he was injured that last time they played, he was still running like he used his legs a few plays and it was positive for them. So he's still a weapon. He's healthier quote unquote than the last time they wear and it concerns me when you have a quarterback that can run, because we've seen how much that can affect this Cowboy's defense. So those would be my two guys as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, after seeing what DK Metcalf did last week, I got to think it's Aj Brown. I want to talk about a clone, right that's a clone and probably a better version of that clone. And the things that we saw DK Metcalf do last week, I think Aj Brown can do that and then some and so I'm a little bit worried about that. Like all season, they hadn't really had receivers get them like that, and then you have now two games in the last what two games, two in the last two where you've had a receiver go over one hundred yards, And so I'm a little bit concerned about aj Brown and what he can do. He's been having one of those years, So it wouldn't be shocking if he does to the Cowboys what he's done to many many other teams this season. All right, let's take our final break, will come back. Got a few more questions for you guys. We'll get to our picks. We'll be back, Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 7: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five g It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G, fast, reliable, secure, it's not cop hitted.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 6: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized.
Speaker 2: Intense therapy liptball.
Speaker 9: Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 11: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the break, Okay, uh get the carver what you need for this football season with Dallas Cowboys cold weather gear. Visit the nearest pro shop or log Onto shop dot Dallascowboys dot Com a fanatics experience and score knit hats, hoodies, jackets, and more.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. Final segment of the Break. Lie s w ABC Mortgage Studios at the Star and.
Speaker 2: Used Derek's discount to get all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Actually they did just send us our discount linked the other day. So I'm like, yeah, let's go do some Christmas shopping. Let's have some fun here, all right, let's talk about let's get some fan questions. I put it out there on Twitter and I got a few back. Yeah, so we're gonna we're gonna do some of these questions of the people, man of the people, man the person, man people, man of the person, whichever. Let's see if it'll be a person my segment, man of the most. No, it's your birthday. I didn't want to have to put you to work on your birthday, so I was like, I'll take care of this today. Do you enjoy your day? But by next.
Speaker 5: Derek, Derek can be like if it's birthday, if it's date night, if it's like he had one drink, got a restaurant, He's like, you want to host tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That one drink? She called you a lightweight.
Speaker 1: Hey man, Sometimes sometimes I feel like it my body and it could be anything that involves any type of activity.
Speaker 5: Derek is. I'm not in the head space.
Speaker 3: You never met him.
Speaker 5: You do it because Derek is very He needs a whole breakdown of everything.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm just gonna say you get to fifty nobody start. When I woke upset, it was that Sunday morning after the Texas game. Wow, that was a rough days, A rough day. That's a rough day. All right, Let's take a question. Brian Woodward. His question is yes, sir.
Speaker 2: No, it said Brian, no question.
Speaker 1: Brian Woodward. His question is is the Cowboys offensive line jelling at the right time? Says Doc is playing lights out, but the O line holding up is what makes that possible in many cases?
Speaker 4: What do you think not perfect quite yet, but absolutely coming together with their continuity and jelling at the right time. And we talked about it mid season, but when the question was posed, how many games does this front five need to have together in order to start really establishing the continuity and not set four? Okay, well we're past that marker now when they got the plan down pat with Tyron Smith not practicing, sprinkle some of that magic on the Zach Martin as well, and now every single game these guys play together, every single rip is another opportunity for them to kind of come together chemistry wise. So yeah, they are in fact coming together at a perfect time. Because this stretch is about to be brutal for the couples.
Speaker 2: Big challenge at center. The audist is playing better and your right tackle's playing better, and that's made this line better overall, so that you need those two to continue this weekend. For sure, it's going to be a real challenge inside for these guys. It's not about the movement, it's about can you just do you have enough rocks in your pocket to keep them from knocking you back? Yeah, you know that's the problem you're going to deal with this weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've been talking about December for quite a while and how tough it's going to be, the challenge and everything that's to come. So this is definitely the perfect time for the line to start jelling and us seeing some of the improvement there as well as the running game. Like the run game has improved. We've seen it get better the last two weeks, so it's trending upwards. Tony Pollard the way that he's playing as well, and that's credit to what's happening with the old line and everything that they're doing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, next question from Timothy Peters.
Speaker 2: His question is will the actually have names?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: This is cool, No, I know, I appreciate that they really do.
Speaker 1: Question is will cowboys put a spy on Hurts? Also will cowboys give her and still help with the chip block from tight end down the stretch when steel is getting tight.
Speaker 2: I think those are two things you have to always think about. Always hate the spy thing. It never works out. I saw somebody the other day. I think your Georgia Bulldogs did this. It's actually a really good plan. I think play two. Play two had him anyway he goes, that's right, and the one time we didn't, yeah, he split the the one time. You know what, you hate that because because the spy gets lost in the track and all of a sudden the spy runs the hump and then now it's a seven eight yard run already, and you're not you know, if you're a spy, you got to go attack the guy. You can't wait around. I think Georgia and Kirby Smart and that staff did a really good job of understanding that if the guy's going to go right or left, now, maybe you set it off the way you set your rush. You know, maybe you say, okay, we're going to rush, We're going to force him to go to our left, and you set the guy right there, Michael Parsons or somebody right there off that side. But man, I just can't tell you how many times the spy has ended up not getting the job done. I always worry about that, And yes, I think during the game you have to find ways to try and help steal. You just don't let Hassan Reddick or Grammar or Sweat or anybody that's rushing out there feel comfortable that it's going to be a one on one game the whole time. Yeah, chip at him, cut at him, hit him in the legs, whatever you have to do to try and slow up those edges.
Speaker 4: I think when you're talking about Jalen Hurts, you do have to consider it. But for me understanding that Jalen Hurts does not want to run, and me tasking my front four with the job of keeping him in the pocket, maintaining the contained, and then trying to disrupt him from there, I personally would not go with the spy because that takes someone out of coverage, That takes someone out of you know, covering laterally, because he's just focused on this particular guy who doesn't want to run. So if it was more so a run first kind of guy. Eg Jalen hurts. When he's healthy, then that's more of a consideration before a guy who's dealing with the knee injury and maybe he is feeling a little bit better, but he's not one hundred percent, so that's not going to be his first or even his second thought.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't put a spy on that.
Speaker 4: I would just look at the front four and say go win, and then I would look at the back seven and say, here are your assignments and go from there.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna do it. Bell's the best open field tackler you got in.
Speaker 1: My opinion, Yeah, and he's got the speed to run, but he's got to.
Speaker 3: Speak it to him.
Speaker 2: He does. Question amber Garcia.
Speaker 5: Amber Garcia, since this question, Well, I'm just here thinking as you were talking, Patrick, I'm thinking, I'm like, Okay, obviously I get it in situations where you have to run and you see the opportunity as a quarterback, right, you just do it, right, That's what it is. You got to play, This is what it is. But looking at December where they're at, I mean, are you trying to avoid possibly like at all costs, like limit the amount of times that you as the quarterback.
Speaker 2: Run, they have to worry about him getting hurt. Their season falls apart you. Last year they played Garden Minshew for what two games. One of the game the second Cowboys game, I believe he started, and they they went zero to two in games this guy didn't play. They they realized without him and most teams, you know, most teams without their starting quarterback are not going to fare very well. I think they're very mindful of how banged up this guy can get run in the football.
Speaker 3: So you're not on the Marcus Mariota train something.
Speaker 1: But you know, the interesting part about that is it doesn't mean well.
Speaker 2: I do understand. I do understand what the what he what uh what Car said? Because he's saying play him until he's health, until you got healthy out, give him a chance to get help. That part of it, I do respect.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, I will say this. I don't think it means he can't run. I think it means that they're probably preaching to him when you run, know when the ride's over and get down, like don't he understands, don't take the unnecessary hit. So he's and he's actually pretty good at it, like you don't see him taking a lot of big hits the league.
Speaker 2: He gets the sidelines and then he goes.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. He knows how to do it quite well. So I don't know that. I don't know that he's not that that that stops him from running. I just think it's it's more being smart. I mean, we've seen that. That's been the conversation that they've had around here with Dak after his injury. Was not necessarily one to take it out of him, but we do need to be smart. You hear Jerry say that a lot. They did take it out of it, but Jerry said I remember Jerry saying on the on the fans several times, we're not necessarily telling him to stop. We need him to be smart. We need to make sure that he's not And I don't know if that translated to him as I just need to stop. And now he's getting that back. But you don't see Dak taking a lot of big blows right now either. I think there are moments in games when you will expose yourself for the risk versus the reward. But the vast majority of the time smart NFL quarterback knows has to know when it's time to get I.
Speaker 4: Think last year's version of Jalen Hurts you'd be more apt to put a spy on that guy this year's version. As we have this conversation, I'm not there that I'm looking at my front four and saying, you know, you've proven that you can all four of you and the wave behind you. You've proven that you can go out there and win the game, So go do it.
Speaker 1: All right, time for picks, Well.
Speaker 2: We have thirty twenty seven Dallas. I think it's going to be a Seattle game all over again. I think it's going to come down back and forth. I think it's going to be both teams are going to be fighting to try and stop the other one. There's gonna be huge plays in this game. And hopefully this Cowboy crowd has done a great job fourteenth straight wins. I believe now at home they're really getting into it is a hated rivalry. You need this game desperately. You find a way to get it done at the end. Dallas thirty, Philadelphia twenty seven.
Speaker 4: I think this is going to be a close game all the way down to maybe the last five six minutes of the fourth quarter, and I think ultimately the Cowboys defense gets a critical stop and the dek Prescott in the offense they go down, and it's a one score game all the way to this point.
Speaker 3: But then this is the nail in the coffin.
Speaker 4: So thirty five twenty four, but it's a one score game until the Cowboys put a nail in the coffin.
Speaker 5: I think you'll be close one all the way to the end. Thirty five thirty two Cowboys. He'll be one of those games. The same yeah, same thought with like how he went with Seattle, just a lot of back and forth and the offense being the protagonist of the story, both offenses scoring points.
Speaker 1: I think this secondary of the Eagles is worse than the secondary of the of the Seattle Seahawks. I think Dallas is in the forty range again this week. But I think it's a close game. Obviously, I don't I don't think that the Cowboys necessarily have shown me that they're going to be able to stop this Philadelphia offense either, So I think it's gonna be back and forth game. I think it comes down to Brandon Arbery and his leg and that's what gets to win for the Cowboys. Forty one thirty eight in a very very entertaining but very stress It's gonna be very very stressful, gay stress, very very stressful game. All Right, we appreciate you guys join us. We'll be back on Monday. We'll tell you what went right and wrong for the Cowboys till then. For Patrick Walker, Brian brought us Amber Garcia. I am Derek Eagles and this has been the Break Live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 11: Radio has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 4: Cowboy