Speaker 1: You are listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair.
Speaker 2: Here at Ruthie's Table four, we have something exciting to tell you. Our new substack has just launched. You will find all kinds of extra material from the River Cafe, including recipes, our latest news, and bonus content from the podcast. If you enjoy listening to this series as much as I enjoy talking with our guests, visit the River Cafe, dot substack and subscribe. See you there. What I know about Luca Guardonino is, of course the films he's made. But what I know from Luca is how passionate he is about food. Meetium over lunch just last week at the River Cafe, we went straight into not what movies he was making, but what food he was cooking. He is Italian and he cares, friends tell me. In his home in Piermonte, Luca has three kitchens, including one elaborately equipped for pastries and a special room for keeping vinegar and dried herbs from his garden. It's always full of people, everyone gathering around the table and kitchen. He genuinely loves cooking with friends, participating and enjoying the process. Our mutual friend. Lorcan O'Neil says, Luca has a true instinct for friendship. Food not only plays a strong role in his home life, but an important role in his films, conveying sensuous desire and transformation. The prawns and I Am Love the Peach and call me by your name, the churros and Challengers. We're here today in the one kitchen I have in my home to talk about food and memories, food and film, food and family. A beginning to a new friendship, one cook to another.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 2: It's so nice to have you here so fast. We just saw each other two weeks ago. And you're back in London. You're going to come back more often.
Speaker 1: The first time in Vaccines I saw you.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're going to come back more. When's the next time?
Speaker 1: That's what I h I.
Speaker 3: Hope very soon I might be coming back and stay because I might do a movie in London. I did a movie last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was that?
Speaker 3: It's After the Hunt? Yes, starring Julia Roberts and Yes are you Debuery and Andrew Garfield, l Seviny, Michael Stohlberg.
Speaker 1: And there was a great experience and I love to be in London. I was great about it, you know, like first of all, to be in the summer in London.
Speaker 3: It's good for me because I cannot stand the heat, so I like that the temperature here, okay, and the quality of water.
Speaker 2: What we don't like about London summer?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I can trade place.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then what else is the.
Speaker 1: Quality of work? Amazing amazing crafts. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I used to say that independent films were used to be made in Europe, the small films and the big ones in La, and now it's changing. Everybody wants to make a movie here La.
Speaker 1: I don't think they do any longer, any movies.
Speaker 3: But basically it's like impossible because of the very expensive nature of the business.
Speaker 2: There Brown, who's the prime minister here fifteen years ago, maybe he brought in the idea of lowering the tacks for making citys. You walk into the River Cafe, you know, you see everybody, you know, Noah and Greta here, you were here, Julia Roberts is making another film. Yeah, the Alejandro is here, and jj Abrams is here. It's like walking into a kind of canteen.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a bit of quality of one nice and good prices.
Speaker 2: What about in Italy are they making?
Speaker 3: Probably Italy that the quality of life is very good and we have very good craftsman in Italy, but unfortunately we don't have a very we have a short sighted politics at play there.
Speaker 2: Because the tradition in Rome. I mean it was amazing.
Speaker 3: I shot the movie in which is my previous one, Queer, I fulfill these kind of fantasy of making a movie entirely shot on stage in China.
Speaker 1: Chita voll interior interiorn next theeries.
Speaker 3: I think we had like ten stages. We built in the back loot, in the front lot. We even there was a sort of big heel of dirt that we took over and we created a jungle over there, and it was fascinating, but almost for the remembrance of things passed and more than the energy of the now.
Speaker 2: Beau just did Felini and ANTONIOI?
Speaker 1: Did they make all their Realini for sure?
Speaker 3: ANTONIOI, I would say maybe not, but Pelini for sure.
Speaker 2: So we would love to read. You know, we always try and start even the beginning of the conversation, because that's how this podcast started. It was during COVID. The idea originally it was just to read a recipe every day, and then the idea was to say, well, how do you segue from the recipe to this story of your life through food. So we want to talk about cinema, and we want to talk about Italy, and we want to talk about everything, but it's the kind of getting to understand who we are through our experience memories food, which.
Speaker 1: Is everything I think you think it is.
Speaker 3: I think so memory of meals, memory of food, memory of the tight, tactile experience of food, the smells, the texture. I think it constitutes. And I'm not talking about fancy food per se. I'm talking about the idea of nourishment or the deprivation of nourishment. It's really like one of the things that makes us universally linked as people.
Speaker 1: So I do agree with you completely.
Speaker 2: A memory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when my father was dying, I flew when I was in twenty twenty, during lockdown, I flew to Sicily where he was born, in his village, and I walked toward the building where he grew up, where he was born and grew up and where I spent a lot of summers when I was very little, and I could distinctively remember in my mind and still now I can the smell of mold and grapes be dried coming from a storage place in the building. So I went into the building and I could enter and the smell came back to me in its physical presence and was incredible.
Speaker 2: Is that And your father was drying in a hospital somewhere.
Speaker 1: Else, Yeah, he was in Milano.
Speaker 3: I could come back home fun and and see him going to help.
Speaker 2: It. Never smell, nothing helps, Nothing helps, but the smell that you could feel.
Speaker 3: Now it's like a legacy and something that I makes me have him close, even the memory of that.
Speaker 1: You went to Ethiopia, and I was supposed.
Speaker 3: To be born in Ethiopia, but for I came out earlier, so like seven months in August, I had to be a Leo.
Speaker 1: There was no way around it. I'm a cancer also closed. Yeah. I like cancer women. I don't like men.
Speaker 2: I have a friend that went to she went to La and she called that's the hotel to find her babysitter. And the baby said, well, I can babysit, but I need to know the sign of the baby first.
Speaker 1: I agree. Oh, come on, I mean scorpio woman. Impossible, my mom.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll get back to the side you went. You're born a Leo in Ethiopia.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then moved in September.
Speaker 2: You were born in Palermo.
Speaker 3: Palermo, and then with you too, Abeba, when I was two months and I spent the first five years of my life there.
Speaker 2: Can you remember the smells of ethiop Oh yeah, what were they like?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I can. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to describe a smell, but I remember very well the smell of the garden. I remember the smell of the pets we had.
Speaker 1: Which was also big turtle. We had a big turtle as a pet.
Speaker 3: I can remember the smell of the coffee being roasted outside. I can remember the food and gera and jera is very tangy smell.
Speaker 2: Very good food Ethiopia.
Speaker 1: Yes, amazing. The sweets of the onions mixed.
Speaker 3: With the with the with the powdery smell of the barberret. It's Fantasticbara is a mixture of spices that is typical of the of Ethiopian kitchen. It's very red and it's used for the door watt, which is a chicken stew or for the lamb or beef stew called ziguiney.
Speaker 2: Wonder why Ethiopia.
Speaker 3: My father was really restless. He met my mother when he was teaching. He was a professor in Casablanca and my mother is was living there.
Speaker 1: She was she grew up in Morocco. She's Algerian, but she grew up in Morocco.
Speaker 3: And then once I was born, he wanted to do another adventure abroad, so he got a post in a disabeba.
Speaker 2: Are you an only child?
Speaker 1: No, I am the last of three.
Speaker 2: Three so all three of you went to Etho.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, every now and then I do and you get the green Yes?
Speaker 2: Is that what you keep in your special kitchen?
Speaker 3: I do have a lot of you know that I have like a collection of spices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have a very large yeah.
Speaker 3: And then I have made with the wonderful people at Ninfenburg in Munich. They sourced from their archives those jars made for Apotheke in porcelain. And I asked them how many sizes you have and they had every sizes because these Ninfenburg gits four hundred years so they used to make them for Apoteke. So that for me, like I don't know ten kilos to ten grains, and I made two hundreds of them for my kitchen, from ten kilos to to twenty grames.
Speaker 2: How long does the ten kilos stay good? I mean do they.
Speaker 3: Stay I cook a lot, so if you put ten kilos of flour, maybe it's gonna last two weeks or even less.
Speaker 2: I think the only youse tried a bit of dried time and a bit of dried regular or recana. But I don't think we in narc should we do the freshers. We don't use you know, kind.
Speaker 1: Of cooking we do, yes, but you do use spices.
Speaker 2: You're not marriage close human use core.
Speaker 3: The world of spices is so wide, Yeah, amazing beautiful smells.
Speaker 2: So the recipe that you chose to read today.
Speaker 1: Is I chose from all the beauty.
Speaker 2: That was our thirtieth birth birthday.
Speaker 1: So beautiful.
Speaker 3: I chose tierini with asparagus and herbs. There's a wonderful lady on the picture on the left side. Who's this lady that.
Speaker 2: Is FASTI arm it? Who's the manager of the River Cafe.
Speaker 3: The River Cafe is an incredible table. You eat so well, they're good.
Speaker 2: Thank you. We have to eat more. So would you like to read the recipe, which.
Speaker 1: Is a recipe, and then we're going.
Speaker 2: To talk about some fresh pastad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you call them tierini and they are technically called tierine and.
Speaker 1: It's Pimontes pasta.
Speaker 3: And I am, as you said before, I live in Pimonte, and you the typical way of using tierne is with truffle when the season is right. It's very thin and very sturdy kind of pasta. So tierne with asparagus and herbs. This is for six six hundred and seventy five grains of thin asparagus pears, which could be also wild asparagus if.
Speaker 1: You can find them.
Speaker 2: We try and get that. It's not so easy.
Speaker 3: My friend Camillo, who is the gardener in my house, his father who harvests collects from the nature's wild herbs, brought me wild asparagus.
Speaker 2: Last week, so already I have it in the season now because we just got green asparagus today.
Speaker 3: So everything's really I know, four garlic clothes. I think this is too much, I would say one.
Speaker 1: Can I Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: I am nothing like an Italian teaching me how to cook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really appreciate it. I'm not teaching you. I'm saying just the balance.
Speaker 3: If I put the proportion of the number the games of asparagus, I think one garlic cloves would be enough. Four tablespoons of chopped I love it, chop mix.
Speaker 2: Wait till I go see your movie. I'm going to give you some advice.
Speaker 1: I want all the advice.
Speaker 3: Four tablespoons chopped mix, fresh herbs, basil, mint, parsley, oregano, fantastic one millimetery double cream.
Speaker 1: And in England you have the incredible double cream.
Speaker 2: That's one thing we have that fans. We have crimb fresh. You don't have it at all.
Speaker 1: No, we have like you.
Speaker 2: Get those little the cream that's in those packets that's last for years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But even if even the fresh one is not as thick and good as the one you find here, fair enough two tablespoons of olive oil, fifty grams of unsalted butter, two hundred and fifty grams tierine or tale, one hundred and twenty grams of freshly grated parmesan cheese. Trim or snap off the tough ends from the asparagu spears. Finally, chop the asparagus all together with one of the garlic clothes and the herbs. Bring the cream to the boil in a saucepan with the rest of the whole garlic clothes, and simmer until the clothes are soft. Remove from the heat to discard the galic. So I changed my mind. It's actually good to have four gathered clothes and.
Speaker 2: Then meeting them this way and then throw them away.
Speaker 1: I apologize.
Speaker 3: You know what, Bernard Bertolucci, we used to say only a sole they don't change their mind.
Speaker 1: I agree, So you see.
Speaker 2: But I have to say that I haven't looked at that recipe for a long time, so I accepted that I forgot that we took it out. We do that quite often when we use the cream, like when we do for sure the cream.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we take the aroma. Yeah, I think it's great.
Speaker 3: Heat the olive oil and butter in a separate large saucepan and fry half of the chopplatea sparagus for five minutes, steering at the rest of the chopping the sparagus, followed by the flavored cream. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the cream begins to thicken, about six minutes.
Speaker 1: Season Remove from the heat and keep warm.
Speaker 3: Cook the path in a generous amount of boiling water, salted and then drain too roughly. Add to the sauce along with about half of the parmesan, and tossed together with the remaining parmesan.
Speaker 1: Great recipe when you cook.
Speaker 2: Do you think when you're in Piedmonte and you're making me lunch, what would you make If you were saying, ruthy, I'm going to show you something from.
Speaker 1: The region, I would make you.
Speaker 3: Do you like to sweets the SERTs, I would make you a coppa. The Carama diras, which translates into a cup of Syra's cream is a ricotta cheese create produced only in Again and that part of the Pimonte where I live. And it's super thin and almost like double cream kind of texture, but it's ricotta. And I found these in this book. This all ancient aristocratic recipe where you mix the ricotta with raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, a little bit of double cream, and then you break some savoyard biscuits and rum.
Speaker 1: It's super good.
Speaker 2: You getting run the biscuits and rum or do you add the raum no.
Speaker 3: I and the rum to the cream I think the it's goods to be broken and put with the cream makes this crunchy thing that is good nice.
Speaker 2: So what do you think about that recipe? Then you prove of the garlic, I thought.
Speaker 1: Don't improve. I approved the recipe.
Speaker 3: I love the way in which you you thick the sauce, you make the cream thick. I like the way you chop the asparagus is because that bleeds into the cream and makes the cream being riped with the safe the taste of the which is like sweet and slightly bitter, which I love.
Speaker 2: And you're really an amazing, incredible palate. So when you're growing up, just tell me going back from Ethiopia and you describe the smells and the food and the recipes which you've stayed with you all your life. But you went back to and what was that like? There was did your mother cooked?
Speaker 1: My father? Your father did the cooking, Oh, very much a lot. What did he make everything? He was cooking every day and he was cooking a lot, like you, more than what we needed.
Speaker 2: For three children.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was a large meals or larger recipes.
Speaker 2: But he was a teacher.
Speaker 1: He was teaching.
Speaker 3: It was coming back home at one, and he was cooking all day.
Speaker 2: What about your mother?
Speaker 3: My mother was more like shy in the kitchen, probably because my father was very Yeah, she cooked a lot of Moroccan in time to time. She told me how to do crap which is desturded. I love French crab, French crap.
Speaker 2: What was the technique do you remember?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think you have to do it so that once you have.
Speaker 3: Created the butter butter, he said, butter with the milk, eggs, a little bit of sugar, a little bit of butter, you let it rest for one day near a like how do you call that radiator?
Speaker 1: So the heat makes that the butter ferment.
Speaker 2: Did you ever have farinata?
Speaker 1: Oh? I love much.
Speaker 2: We do it a lot, because.
Speaker 3: I had a great farinata the River Cafe when I was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really I think we often give people pizzas to start, but there's something about a farinata.
Speaker 1: Which is an incredible.
Speaker 2: It's just chickpea, flour, olive.
Speaker 3: Oil, very good nutritive thing, a lot of protein in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is some incredible.
Speaker 3: I mean, we have so many different ways of farinata in Italy because you have far not in Tuscany, and then you have panelle in Fiftily. Yeah, you have farinata in, you have it in Liguria, you have it in and you have the panell inmo in Sicily, which is chickpeas flour mixed with water boiled boiled, yes, and then put on a thin layer, cut in slices and fried. That's panel panel, which is a typical street fair street food. Yes, but it's another variation of the farinata.
Speaker 2: Imagine estate bottled olive oil chosen and bottled for the River Cafe, arriving at your door every month. Our subscription is available for six or twelve months, with each oil chosen personally by our head chefs and varying with each delivery. It's a perfect way to bring some River Cafe flavor into your home or to show someone you really care for them with the gift. Visit our website shop the Rivercafe dot co dot uk to place your order. Now, how long did you live at home for?
Speaker 1: Was it? I think I left home when I was twenty one.
Speaker 3: I left, I went to Palerm, I went to Rome to study literature.
Speaker 2: Did you know that you wanted to do film? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always I was I was torn between two directions for myself. One was to be a director of indirector and the other one was to be a chef. I was cooking. I had my little mini pants when I was in Ethiopic growing up, I had my little corner in the kitchen where I could do what I wanted. And I grew more and more into this, and then when I was like fourteen, I realized that if I had to go into that direction, I would have probably abandoned the intellectual part of my bringing because I was also a very avid reader of.
Speaker 1: Books, quite academic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I felt like that between the two, probably I could have kept being a passionate with food, but I would have made my life more intellectual.
Speaker 1: And that's why I choose not had a cinema.
Speaker 2: Did you have if you had little hands for media?
Speaker 3: I had a camera, Yes, you did either Super eight my first superade.
Speaker 1: I had it when I was like nine or eight. Your parents gave it to you, my mother.
Speaker 3: My mother gave me a Super eight, and I started shooting my little short films with this. You know, like you could get these eight millimeters little box where you put into the camera and then you had to ship it to Germany and wait like two months to get it back. So I had my camera and I had my projector, and I started to learn that if you wanted to not tell a story but communicate something, you didn't have to just film, but you have to create a juxtaposition. But I didn't know how to actually cut, so I started to cut on camera. So I was doing a shot, and then I was thinking what I want this to be followed by? And I was shooting another thing, and I was doing these mini movies about juxtaposition of things you haven't my mom must have in some boxes.
Speaker 2: Yes, you should find them, we should find them, but you still cook.
Speaker 1: Cook.
Speaker 3: I became friends with great chefs like yourself, and I cultivated the cult of food all my life.
Speaker 1: I was for one year and a half.
Speaker 3: I was a gastronomic critic for Vanity Fair Italy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, every week, reviewed restaurants, yeah, all over the world.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting because at the beginning, of course, it was like we start, but then I became very consistent because I was doing once a week for like more than seventy weeks. For Vanity Fair Italy was a week weekly, Yes, it's weekly. Wow, And there was a great director, Daniella Amaui.
Speaker 1: She was great.
Speaker 3: Then she left and the new director fired me because he said to me, you know, we don't like criticism, maybe because we want to be friends with everybody.
Speaker 1: So I said, okay, bye bye, Adrian girl. Yeah I'm gone.
Speaker 3: And actually the conversation started because I sent a review of a very important restaurant in Bergamo, three star mish Lands. So now everybody who knows that knows who's the restaurant still there? Oh yeah, yeah, super important. And I sent it and they said to me, we can't publish this because we're friends, and I said yes, but I say, your friends, but journalis journalists, right, No. Then I made another review of another restaurant, two Starmish Lanes and it was another skating review, and they said we can't either. So I went to see the director the editor of the magazine and they fired me. We parted ways, but I made like I made like sixty five seventy reviews.
Speaker 1: I should put them in a book you could put it was nice.
Speaker 3: But then I started to go to places and people were like, ah, they were like treating me in a different way, and that was bad. And sometimes they were asking me, can you come and review us?
Speaker 1: Even if it's a better review, we want the review.
Speaker 2: There is a I wonder you know. I just we did a podcast recently with Francis Coppola.
Speaker 1: The Divine Francis.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you see him?
Speaker 3: No, I never met with him. I'm a friend with his daughter, the wonderful Sofia.
Speaker 2: He's living in London now I would love okay, and he also you know, you talk about the parallels between making a movie and making a recipe running a restaurant. Directing a film, you know how you of course, it's in one way not very similar at all, but in many ways it is about creating something, something, perhaps temporary. The response of the critics, how you do it? Do you think? I mean, did you find directing films and writing about food or cooking food?
Speaker 3: I think directing films and cooking or in general running an enterprise like a restaurant, are very close because the director is the entrepreneur who is putting together all the elements, including the ingredients, to make the experience be.
Speaker 1: So I think they're very.
Speaker 3: Close, and I think there is a lot of savvness in the entrepreneur who knows life and habits and behavior. So a director should be someone.
Speaker 1: Who does know that.
Speaker 2: And when you made your first film, what was your first film.
Speaker 3: That you actually what we called The Protagonists that I shot in London with tild the Swinton, and it's a movie that I'm not very happy with that the Cinema Tech in Bologna restored. I met with the director of the cinema Tech, Jan Luca Luka, why you restarted that movie?
Speaker 2: That's bad?
Speaker 1: And it had to be shut up? The movies great.
Speaker 3: And then a few months later it was on movie which is still and I'm very like, why anyway?
Speaker 1: And it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Your vengeance for the four Garly closes. I have no I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: I think that it's interesting to think about the way you've brought food into film. You know, how your films, As I said in my introduction, the sensuous quality, the the way that food can transport you into knowing about a relationship, by the way people eat together, by the way they feed each other.
Speaker 1: With a zero as people to very few and.
Speaker 3: You cannot surpass unsurpassable elements of our being one is the biological is important like sleep, it, drink, shite, pee, those are elements that are constitutional of who we are as people. And because we are also capable of telling a story about ourselves, meaning our condition as people, to discard the elements that constitute our everyday life from the narrative, it's advertisement, it's a sort of artificial construction. So that's why I'm very keen that in my storytelling there is always the possibility of experiencing our universal being, which has to do with sleeping, waking up, being, shiting, and eating and sex and having sex. Even though I think that sex as a cultural.
Speaker 1: Artifacts is overrated, so.
Speaker 2: Boring, boring to watch, boring in film.
Speaker 1: Boring to be discuss it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, challenging in film to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there is the challenge of filming sex deals with the undemocratic nature of filmmaking and the inevitable and absolutely welcome need of democracy in dealing with people that helps.
Speaker 1: You making the movie.
Speaker 3: Translation, if you make a movie as a director, you always have this totalitarian idea that everything has to be the way you want. But how can you have that attitude when you ask two people, maybe two people that are strangers to each other, to do something intimate, even if for the fiction of it so it's a compromise, it's a conversation. It's like, sometimes the compromise brings something you didn't expect. Sometimes the compromise this troy what you wanted to do. Sometimes it hurts you or it hurts the other and it shouldn't.
Speaker 2: We were talking with Francis the other day. We're talking about erotic film. When you see something erotic in the movie, and.
Speaker 3: Remind me to tell you what is the most erotic cinema scene in my life, in my.
Speaker 2: Idea, and I said that one of the most erotic scenes that I remember, and I'm not gonna remember which one it was with Daniel day Lewis the Edith Wharton movie of the Age of when he holds her hand in the carriage. Do you remember I.
Speaker 3: Was going, this is incredible, because I was going to tell you one scene from Manuel de la Vera, and this was going to be my second. In the scene that you describe, which is incredible, he takes the hand and unbuttoned the glove on the on the wrist and he opens the glove almost like in a sort of like vagina shape and kisses it and smells it.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, that's one of the.
Speaker 3: Most erotic scenes ever shot from a director who knows everything about human nature. The other scene is in the great movie La vallea Brown The Valley of Sin, which is a sort of version of Madame Bovarie, shot by the greatest director or ever, leave Manuel de Olivera Portuguese, in which she has this actress, Leonor silvera amazing actress, playing Madame Beavverie, being tormented by this kind of shock of eroticism that she's feeling for the man, and she grabs a flower and she fingers the flower and the director makes this closeup of the flower cup being fingered by the finger of Leonora silvera incredible moment.
Speaker 2: So as I've just been help patizen, but as another scene that I was thinking another way of torture, and one of the most upsetting torture scenes that I've seen was in Rome Open City, because you never see it, You never see the torture. It's behind in a room behind, and you hear you just hear it. It's fromazing and now if they probably were doing we think of all the torture scenes we see in film, whether the guy's tied up or somebody comes in and throws this and.
Speaker 3: I say something that is going to make me lose some people that likes my work or myself. I don't think everybody should make films, only the people who know how to make them. And you're hitting a very delicate hot button here, because to represent something like torture, it takes an ethical and also humanistic wisdom to have to do it properly. And that's why you mentioned this scene from one of the greatest movies ever made from one of the greatest directors I ever leaved, Roberto Rossellini. So like I agree with you violence spreading on the screen indiscriminately because it's like a trade and it doesn't come with an idea of ethics at play from filmmakers sometimes not now from a long time or in general.
Speaker 1: Ramachita Perta, which I.
Speaker 3: Watched again, like lasts I haven't seen in London at the curtain, mayfird they had.
Speaker 1: A red you say re re release.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because historically the movie has been told of being one of the great example of Italian neo realism, but in fact is then one of the great melodramas.
Speaker 1: I think more than neo realism. Beautiful movie.
Speaker 2: I thought it was sting, so beautiful. So if we're going back to the cooking and the food, and your tell me a scene, because I could say the showsers and challengers, or we could talk about the peach, or we could talk about the prawns. For you, which one would you talk about if I asked you to talk to me about the film.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be sensationalist. But one scene of food that I think is very, very successfully made in my movies, it's when Maren and Sally played by Mark Rylance and Taylor Russell eat the lady in the house and bones and all.
Speaker 1: That is a great meal scene.
Speaker 2: I would say, can you describe it to someone who I can describe you to? He is listening to this and they won't have seen it.
Speaker 3: I think, if I remember properly, you have the character of Lee of mav Maar, and this girl who is coping with her own nature. She realizes that she's a cannibal and cannot stop by being one, and she's in search of a way not to be like that, and also in search of someone to share the burden of this wave being. And she has met the older man Mark. Sally played by Mark Rylands, the amazing Mark Rylance and who is like her an eater, someone who has an impulse of eating, a cannibalistic and cannot stop from refrain from. And he brings her to a house in a village in the night and base he tells her that in the other room a lady is almost dying, an older lady, and revolves by this. She wants to run away, and she tells her, you that's your nature. She goes into another room and spend the night awake and not knowing what to do, and then she falls asleep. And then when the first light of the day comes, the lady dies, and she suddenly smells the impulse to go there.
Speaker 1: She smells what she has.
Speaker 3: To go for, and she opens the door and she walks in the landing, and we can see part of the body of the lady, but you see Sally bending over the woman, already fisting on her and turning towards Matine and looking at her and kindly inviting her in. And the scene. I mean, I thought the movie was going to be like a great successful love story, and people were really appalled by the nature of the cannibalies in the movie. But we were very committed to make it properly. And I would say that both Taylor Russell and Mark were sublime in the movie. And of course, my dear dear Timo Tshelamet was incredible in the movie. Either that's my favorite meal scene that I filmed in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's your favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's terminal. It's like, what can you go beyond that?
Speaker 1: You can't? That's it. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: Bones and All was twenty twenty two and it stars Timtschelamette and Taylor Russell and Mark Rylance.
Speaker 2: The River Cafe when you said Lunch is now running from Monday to Thursday. Reserve a booking at www. Rivercafe dot co dot uk or give us a call. Let's go back to your kitchen's three kitchens in Piermont, Say so, tell me about the three kitchens. You have a pastry kitchen as.
Speaker 3: Well to The house I live in is an old house from nineteenth century, and I renovated it slowly in time. And I always wanted to be able to have space to cook properly and to have all the things I need to cook properly. And I always thought that you could not cook savory where you cook suite.
Speaker 2: Well restaurants, we have a pastry kitchen.
Speaker 1: Separated, so that was a rule.
Speaker 3: So I created these two rooms separating them. One is cream color and one is pitch color. It's all tiles. Which one is the pitch is the is the pastry the pastry. Then I have another kitchen outside for if I do. I have not put the actual gears yet, but this is going to be for caterings maybe. And I'm now doing a bakery. Are you in the courtyard, yes, for yourself, because there is this is like a countryside home with all the buildings made for heart of a thing and da da da, And there wasn't an old brick oven already there. So I'm restoring the brick oven and making a bakery in order to do bread.
Speaker 2: It's very very different, isn't it making bread making pastries from making pasta.
Speaker 1: Or Oh yeah, all of them are very differently.
Speaker 2: We have a chefs who are great cooks, and they just I mean once because we always had the system that we didn't have a pastry kitchen from until about ten years ago. Maybe when the demand we just everything we made. You came into work in the river cafe, you come to work and you don't know what you're going to cook. You might make a risotta one day, you might make a sauce another day, or you may make a chocolate cake. And it was really interesting to get the consistency and hearing from some chefs saying I just don't like to bake, you know, I don't want to make a cake. Or then you have the people who are in the pastry kitchen saying. Some of them say they want to come down and learn how to make a osobuco or you know, girlleds steak, but a lot of them feel very proprietor about what they're Do you feel that, Are you happier when you're making a cake?
Speaker 1: To make it? Like? So, I like to be in the kitchen and nurturing people. I love to do that, But what I'm.
Speaker 3: Really fond of is to be alone in the pastry and to do complicated things that takes a lot of time, and.
Speaker 1: Be alone the solitary. I love the solitary aspect of it.
Speaker 3: One of the things that I love is when in the in the when I do stolen around Christmas time and I do like I don't know ten kilos of stolins still long, and it takes three days, and maybe you have to be renovating the mix the dough seven hours in and maybe that's like three o'clock in the morning. So I go to sleep at ten. I woke up at two thirty, and then I go and do it. Then I go another map.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's beautiful.
Speaker 2: To quote another person, I keep quoting people today. But Michael Caine said that he loved to cook because it was the only thing he could do without other people. It was solitary, he said, gardening and cooking did He said, you know everything in a life where making a movie you have so many people around you.
Speaker 1: I don't like when people get into the kitchen.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I was going to ask you if I come and stay, I don't. I don't have to cook with you.
Speaker 1: You you you you you. You would be more than welcome in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: No, you don't have to.
Speaker 1: But I don't like when people. You know why I like.
Speaker 3: I like people who knows what I'm doing and they can understand the dyamic.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way when somebody. We have an open kitchen, and so people are curious and it's very nice, but you kind of want them to go away a little bit, you know. I like having people help me. I love having Louis too.
Speaker 3: I like to host people, but friends they should stay away from the kitchen.
Speaker 1: I remember I was a kid. I was like fifteen.
Speaker 3: My best friend Manfredi, Manfredi Romano, we were growing.
Speaker 1: Up together, high school together.
Speaker 3: He said to me, come with me for Christmas holidays to my grandma house in Milano.
Speaker 1: I was in Ficily, so I was very exotic for me.
Speaker 3: We went to Leco, this beautiful all mention for like this large important, like Milanie family. And the second I stepped into the kitchen, this woman looks at me and goes like out out and I felt like, oh so ashamed, but I understood her.
Speaker 1: She was right.
Speaker 2: And when you're working on a film set, when you're making a movie, do you care about what you feed the people who are working on the set.
Speaker 3: I must say, I wish, I wish I could be like Wes Anderson, who famously has incredible catering on his sets. That what I heard, but I don't. I don't because it's a Scifian endeavor. Like, first of all, a crew works so hard that they need to eat a lot. They need to eat things that makes their energy going. And I can't think. I mean, I am a control freak. When I do a movie, I complete control freak. But if I put my mind also onto that, it becomes too much, too much.
Speaker 1: So there are people who know how to do it. And I don't eat much when.
Speaker 2: I shoot you down. I was going to ask you about your own.
Speaker 1: I don't eat on set. No, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, when you shoot something, unless it's like a complicated many extras or a lot of action seen, you don't need much.
Speaker 1: Many people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interest because film and food and cooking, and interior architecture, because you are involved in creating not just the environment for the table, but for rooms and perhaps even a hotel.
Speaker 1: I did. I did a hotel in Rome called Palazza Talia.
Speaker 2: Where is it.
Speaker 3: It's in the formerly known Collegio del Nazzareno, which is a very famous building from seventeenth century that being has school for the elite of Roman children for long and then now became a hotel. It's basically in the middle between Piazza Espana and Fontana di trevi.
Speaker 1: Yeh of this place.
Speaker 3: I did two suites and all the communal spaces everything.
Speaker 1: What does it look like, I don't know, whimsical, whimsical.
Speaker 2: Traumatic as a as a and you enjoy it?
Speaker 1: I did? I did?
Speaker 2: You never thought of doing architecture or design.
Speaker 1: I want to be an architect as well, but that there was a lot.
Speaker 3: Of mathic architecture and mathematics and me, I'm not good at it.
Speaker 2: Would you do another?
Speaker 1: I'm actually doing another. What I can't say?
Speaker 2: Okay, hotel?
Speaker 1: Yeah, important, But.
Speaker 2: I think there are maybe the lines that we think are barriers between film and cooking and architecture design. It's all maybe at all.
Speaker 3: For me, it's a question of making, you know. I love to make. I like craftsmanship. I like artists in general. I like creative people. I am happy when I'm surrounded by them.
Speaker 1: I like to share.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I like the beautiful, unique feeling that you feel when you see something becoming, whether it's an pasta dish with asparagusis or it's this incredible fantastic house that I mean, or it's like a scene, the actual happening of something that becomes a transformation. And food deals a lot with transformation. It's all about transformation. So like, I think that is really, really, really at the end of it. What I love about what I do that I can witness transformation.
Speaker 2: And if food is transformation, and it is memory, and it is sharing with your friends or creating something, it also is comfort. Yeah, when you need comfort, is there something that you would go to? Would it be a food of your childhood or something tomato pasta that you make We're going to make for me. What would be your comfort food?
Speaker 3: I think my comfort food and I know the answer very precisely is rice with milk.
Speaker 2: Is that sweet?
Speaker 1: Sweet?
Speaker 2: So it's what we call rice, But tell me about it.
Speaker 1: Rice pudding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would use round rice tiny short right, what we call vielano or tondo, and I would wash it a lot and then I would boil in a lot of water for like five to seven minutes. I would drain it and then I would put let's say one hundred and fifty grams of these rice washed and pre boiled in a litter of whole milk and two hundred and fifty grams of double cream and make it go into the into the stove for like.
Speaker 1: An hour and a half.
Speaker 3: You put cinnamon or I would put I would put sugar and a lot of vanilla and not cinnamon.
Speaker 1: And I love cinnamon.
Speaker 3: And I would make it cook for like an hour and a half until you have a good ratio between the growth of the of the grains and the cream you need to have.
Speaker 1: That's why the best, like.
Speaker 2: I love you eat it hot cold? Yeah, so you do eat somethings in that room temperature. I generally like everything room temperature myself. But something is a good cold.
Speaker 3: Well like desrt you can have ice cream at the.
Speaker 2: Boy said to me in the restaurant, I, so, would you like some ice cream? He said, no, it's too cold.
Speaker 1: But not even in a sunny place, in a warm place.
Speaker 2: No. I like pasta has to be hot. But otherwise what I like about Italian food is there doesn't seem to be that America. You get my country in the United States, you get either very.
Speaker 1: Hot or very cold, very cold. Everybody, So I quite.
Speaker 2: Is it no good or good?
Speaker 1: Not good? Cold? It is not good. You needn temperature is perfect.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that's what I go for.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Thank you so much. With you an thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair