Speaker 1: I feel one on one shs he couple limit in my taste with he and my limit made because I let the way it taste best seats at the Pirates. Can't he let me run the base? Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why he is alloyer take my date to my dates or to stick by the Blake sending case kept the case from my race at my past clear of grass at a.
Speaker 2: Snake Episode three to ninety of Bucko Banter.
Speaker 3: We were back at Allegheny Coffee in Tea Exchange down in the Strip District. Come on, buy, ask a question and you get one of these bad boys. You get a free coffee just for hopping on the show, being a brave soul and asking a question related to the Pirates.
Speaker 2: We're here after a very disappointing loss last night.
Speaker 3: Scott to the Chicago Cubs in a three game set here at PNC Park, which kicks off maybe the most important homestand in the past ten years even more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, for sure the most Importan know, I'm staying because you're going up against the Cubs who are above us in the division, and then the Diamondbags you were fighting for that last wild card spot with so very important games. These next five are even more important now that we lost yesterday.
Speaker 5: But I want to start off this episode by quickly.
Speaker 4: Giving a salud to my man Meatball Ron Marnachio, maybe making his Pirates debut today. I got a hot espresso shot here on this beautiful sunny day here in the Strip district.
Speaker 3: So shut out, Meatball Ron. I am drinking my classic Nitro Espress. So we threw some cold foam on that in some ice. It's beautiful.
Speaker 6: Have we considered the fact that maybe you shouldn't be nicknaming man Meatball wrong?
Speaker 3: It's simply too good. It's simply too good. It's all in fun. It's all a joke. We're having fun out here. Let's talk about last night, because that wasn't fun. No, it wasn't fun at all. Obviously, the offense has come to a little bit of a stall here in the past couple of days, a little bit of some slump here in the lineup, not as much slug right now. They just couldn't get anything going. Yeah, Brandon Laus been cold and then he got robbed too. He got robbed. I mean like he had a nice opposite field hit and that just went right to Bregnan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's tough because you up again against a guy like Matt Boyd who you'd hope to jump out in front of, while you have Show to Ema Naga going today, by the way, Show to Ema Naga. Five career appearances against the Pirates, two and zero with a point two eight e er thirty two k seven walks. You know, I'm not a mathematician, but I kinda or a statistician, but I kind of like my odds throwing the PCA last night over basing Show to Ema Naga. Let's talk about it. Yeah, let's let's go back to last night. We could talk about Emaannaga here, uh after we talked about last night's game, but they decided to In the top of the tenth, Johan Ramirez is in and he's been pitching well.
Speaker 5: Let's just give him his flowers there.
Speaker 4: He's been pitching well, but as we know, the all moves a lot right, a lot of east to west movement on that baseball coming out of his hands, sometimes leading to a lot of walks. Right, guy on first and second, PCA's up in the beginning of the game, he hits that home run off of Jared Jones, who otherwise pitched stellar.
Speaker 5: And then first two pitches.
Speaker 4: Even Donnie Kelly said it in his postgame tried to get him at Chase, wasn't working it and they gave him the free base. Loading the bases not my favorite decision. I get the arguments PCA is really hot. You know, he's been hitting the ball really well, especially against righty's, But in that moment, with that pitcher on the mound, I would much rather challenge PCA because the odds are a lot higher that you get him out than you know, getting through bases loaded situation with a Johann Ramirez on the mount on listen.
Speaker 3: I'm all for a mix of analytics and feel for the game and playing matchups when necessary, but that's one hundred percent of a feel of a game situation right there, and it's it's specifically with the guy that you have on the mound. I don't like intentionally walking a guy there, just generally, even though like so we're in post game, the reasoning was you're already down two oh, you don't like the situation. PCA has been hot. Generally, I mean, he's crushing Righty's right now, so let's take our chances with Suzuki. Oh oh, but it really didn't talk about the fact that the bases are loaded now and you're putting yourself in a situation where he has to throw strike. He has to throw strikes. I think he walked him on four straight pit like. It wasn't pretty for straight pitches. So you know, listen, baseball is a really hard game. I understand you could be the hottest hitter on the planet and still get out seven out of ten times. Yeah, okay, I'll take my chances in that situation down to, Oh, what's the worst that happens he walks them.
Speaker 2: We're in that situation regardless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, there's a chance PCA tries to get into hitters count and swing at something that maybe he shouldn't swing at, or maybe he misses. You have eight other guys on the field backing you up. The chances are greater than not. Scott. Yeah, I just don't I really don't agree with that situation. I don't agree with the intentional walk there. I think it's trying to do too much and look into a situation too much. When you need to trust your guys a little bit more down two oh, Who's who's to say he doesn't get back into count?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's just uh, deep, I think you had something to say go ahead.
Speaker 3: That's the thing to me.
Speaker 6: It's like you don't think you can dig yourself out of a two to oh and then you're like, well, let's go up to the next guy, like two oh.
Speaker 3: Is you're just selling it so early. And the thing is also it's it's you're going against PCA in the again. We'll go back really good hitter. He's been hitting extremely well right now, he's crushing righties. So what like then intentionally walk them at the beginning of the at bat. I get maybe wanted to take a chance early on in account, but at the same time, like you could have just threw a first pitch strike and then he goes deep. What do we got our random item of the day here? I am genuinely taking off the shelf after a few Yeah, okay, we got some dust on it. It looks like an old shoe box. Oh, baseball card, Yeah, we got some baseball cards in here, all right, Here we got hockey cards in there. All right, I'm gonna assume we're gonna pull out a baseball card gets the team, any team, Let's go with the Red Sox. Red Sox do you got he's just looking.
Speaker 5: I didn't see the logo you got in all honestly, Cubs.
Speaker 2: We have the New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 5: Pull up the little box. What are we got in here?
Speaker 3: Oh? Look at this? We have a nineteen eighty six Tops Baseball picture cards. Whoa look at that? Oh look.
Speaker 6: Er, baby, an absolute Pittsburgh legend. Talk about yinzer Palooza for real. That's that's an all timer. Look at this, Jean Walter. Look at a stash on that guy.
Speaker 4: There's like ninety dude, three cards of the actual Goat. No, Michael Jordan, just the friendly reminder.
Speaker 5: The actual Goats ring chasing friend goes.
Speaker 6: To the actual Goats about to bring a championship to his fourth franchise and beat the Knicks in the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 5: Fin good Love's face in the Knicks Lebron.
Speaker 6: Incredible, Thank you, Eric. Let me dig through this and I'll see if I can pull up some pirates here. So let's go back to that situation real quick.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: I you know, when we're covering this team, Scott. You kind of have to look at it from a third party view, not as a fan view, right. You gotta kind of look into all the different situations, understand the reasoning, and then go in there with a clear mind. I'll say honestly, last night was the first time where it genuinely wanted to hear the reasoning going into postgame because it really just did not add add up to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it just continues the theme of just leaving games on the board every week.
Speaker 5: It's at least one every week.
Speaker 3: It feels like I love the ballpark saying they're still playing like tomorrow is a better day, Today is the day.
Speaker 4: It's Yeah, they keep kicking the can down the road, and it's it's gonna cost them.
Speaker 5: It's gonna cost them.
Speaker 4: Another play I want to talk about is the throw home from Jake Mangum. Henry Davis was playing a little deep, don't you think. And that's something that even Don Kelly admitted that. Henry Davis even came the dugout and said, yeah, I thought the ball was going up the line a little bit more. I probably could have could have been a little less deep than I was, you know, uh, maybe a step forward, he gets a tag down earlier. That was a bang bang play. I we talked about this. We had a conversation about sliding headfirst versus sliding feet first and having the U.
Speaker 5: Inclination.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the front leg kickup when you're going feet first, and that almost cost was it?
Speaker 5: Ian Happ? That was was that Ian Happ?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That almost cost Ian Happ there and it was It was tough to see. Man, it looked like he could have gotten when that leg got up, but it also was bang bang And I don't know if there was enough evidence to overturn it. But still another just you know, heat of the moment, you're you're in the middle of the game.
Speaker 5: It's hard to make that adjustment.
Speaker 4: But you know, hindsight, it does look like Henry was playing a little bit deep there.
Speaker 3: Oh man, let's not show that one, Molly. I who ah, that is quite the trading card. I'm not going to show that on camera. That is crazy. Here's my thinking on that. Yeah, like if the ball's up the line, but you're still not putting yourself in a position to make the out there right Like games.
Speaker 2: On the line, you have to it's do or die, Like you.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, or you don't a pass ball, whatever it may be, that's fine. The runner is gonna score anyways, right, and then you're down one nothing and probably in the same situation you got to picture backing you up. It's just bad positioning. There was a lot of I think Aiden Sefanski brought it up in the post game last night. You know, winning in the margins, as we like to say, And you know, how much more noticeable is that down the stretch. It's like, of course, yeah it is.
Speaker 5: We've been talking about it since the beginning of June.
Speaker 3: We've been talking about it for years years, how you gotta win in the margins, and now it really matters. We're not twenty games below five hundred, we're not out of a race. These little things matter on a day to day basis. More and more. Getting thrown out at third base, I mean, what an incredible play by Nico Horner up the middle, I mean, unreal and you get kind of caught out in no man's land. That is what it is. But just the little things positioning, game situations, which we're not even done talking about game situations, by the way, We'll get into that in a second.
Speaker 2: But who knows.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, the offense also has to hit. Yeah too.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, let's not forget about that. The offense has to hit.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna be too tough on the offense because they've been incredible all season long, but man, it's disappointing.
Speaker 4: You've got to hope to get into this bullpen, Cubs bullpen, because it is also not strong, and it hasn't been for the last two seasons. But uh yeah, uh not much impact last night with the bat Do you want to talk about that, Jake menghembund in the ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk about it. I mean, you're down too, and I understand going into that situation and you lay down a really good Let's not like it was a really good bump. But here's the problem. You go into that situation and one, okay, you bunt for a hit. Great, But the thing is they're expecting it, probably from Jake. They don't care about that runner on second anymore, right, so you know, worst case, you know for them, runner goes over to third base, they get that out at first, one out, that guy scores, It doesn't matter anymore if he bunts for a base hit. Listen. I mean, like we've had this literal conversation with Jake. Yeah before people are talking differently. Oh my god. Now we have runners on first and third, no out and we're in a situation to win. I understand that it just didn't work out that way, which is unfortunate. So the question now is that you got to talk about it is now you sacrifice it out for a runner that doesn't even matter anymore, and the Cubs would gladly give that up ten out of ten times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you needed two runs, not one there, So interesting choice to start that ending there. But hey, let's not dwell too much on the negatives. I know we can talk about it all day, but we got a game two win today show to Amanaga versus Paul Schemes will be a dole for sure. What's the keys today to uh secure a Pirates win and hopefully the series tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Today relies on offense, man, Yeah, it relies on offense. And this is not the guy that you want to go against when you've had a two games stall where you're not scoring any runs whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Here here's the goal for today. You gotta make him work counts.
Speaker 3: I don't care if you go into the six innings zero zero. You got to get him out of there by six yeah, yeah, soon, man, And you know, I don't you can pitch that back working inning, stressful winnings. You know, obviously you hope to score. You maybe get a long ball here and there, but you got to figure out this guy eventually. He's just been an absolute kryptonite for the Pirates and you got to get him out of the game because.
Speaker 2: The chances are he's going to be good today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: You got to get him out of the game early.
Speaker 5: He's also a soft tossing lefty.
Speaker 4: He's not gonna hit ninety five, right, Like, this is a guy that's gonna make you chase with the slider and you know, pitched to the corners, and you gotta be you gotta be disciplined up there at the plate for sure and not let him get ahead and make you chase. But let's uh Skeens has faced the Cubs eight times in his career, two and three with a two, seven seventy or a fifty three. K's good. Yeah, he's been really good too. Right, this is who he made his debut against. We'll never forget that game here in Pittsburgh and then I think he faced him like three times in his first four starts of his career. But you know, we need a big Skins outing too. We need Skeens and Jones to be that one to two punch that we you know, envisioned for the last two years here and they're finally healthy playing together. So and then you go in tomorrow you got ashcrap. So that's a powerful one two three punch. If you look at a playoff rotation, not to get ahead of ourselves, that's probably the rotation.
Speaker 3: Jared has looked incredible, Jared, Jared.
Speaker 4: Has looked incredible, And I will eat my words from the beginning of the year, like when we were debating is he going to be in a bullpen roll coming out of you know, off the injured list because they're gonna try to manage his innings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he deserves to be in that rotation.
Speaker 3: Guys. Absolutely. It's sometimes guys come back better, yeah, from these things.
Speaker 2: And maybe Jared needed that. I mean, he won't agree with that.
Speaker 3: Obviously you want it, you want to play, but maybe you know you have a pretty good rookie year. There's obviously maybe developing some some secondary pitches. Then you lose a year, but you already have a year under your belt, so it's just learning from that one year what could be better. And it's a lot of time to think and develop pitch shape and in in design and that's really helping him out. And you could tell us he keeps building up that maturation of Jared Jones is getting stronger and stronger. Yeah, and yeah, he's in the top three right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And obviously it was asked last night in Donnie's post game, Uh, do you envision you know, where it came a little bit deeper into games, you know, throwing more pitches and you know the classic coach speak. You know, that's something we evaluate with the training staff every day. You know, every start we're looking at how he feels and what's best for Jared. So I don't know, you'd have to think as we get deeper into the season here, his pitch count is going to start to go up a little bit more, get into the nineties hopefully. But yeah, he's he has been everything and more than the last three starts here for the Pirates.
Speaker 3: The question then becomes, and this was a little bit of a conversation online the other day. You still have a young rotation that hasn't thrown a lot of innings in their career with Braxton and Bubba, and Bubba's look good too. By the way, Braxton had his worst start of the year against the Yankees, didn't get lucky in the first inning. Who knows how the flow of the game goes if Nikkid doesn't make the air at their base. But besides the point, these guys haven't thrown a lot of innings in their career. And as the season goes on and you get more competitive, how do you manage those innings? Right? Like, how do you manage a bullpen? How do you manage these starts? It's gonna get even more difficult for a team where you know, situationally, it's been iffy, Yeah, in terms of making the right decision, and I mean a lot of its hindsight, But you gotta think about that in the future.
Speaker 2: What it's gonna look like a month down if you're in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I'm really interested in a guy like Foster Griffin. We talked about him on our Live with Jim Stamm this past Thursday.
Speaker 5: A guy that you could bring in and could be a different look.
Speaker 4: From the left side, and you know, could probably piggyback with some of these guys, or or you know, pitch long a relief be your fifth starter. Maybe you know, extend the rotation to a six man rotation. I think you could get really creative with a guy like that. But ultimately, you got to you gotta improve the bullpen first, and you got to be able to close out games, and that's gonna be the number one priority.
Speaker 5: You know, there was a dog just jone right next to me. Nah, dude, I just saw that.
Speaker 3: No, sure anything. He's just chilling.
Speaker 2: He's laying on the ground.
Speaker 5: He's listening to Bucko Banner.
Speaker 3: What's up, buddy? No, not our dog.
Speaker 5: Do we want to tell him about the Wolf Game?
Speaker 3: Uh? The Wolf Game? Uh? It's his dog? Okay, what a well trained dog. Yeah? Wow, holy moly. Interesting.
Speaker 2: My dog would be way gone first and then would have been gone.
Speaker 6: Unleash your dog in the strip is some absolutely devious. But that was the great That's that's the that's the inventor of the Wolf game right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Wolf Game is on Monday, ladies and gentlemen. We released the hype video maybe one of my proudest editing moments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've accomplished a lot in your life at him, like, you're you're a lawyer, you're you uh, you know, you've won some big cases. I'm sure, but this, by far is your biggest accomplishment. It is it is that one video that took me like twenty minutes. Yeah, yeah, everything you've accomplished in the in the courtroom pals to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, one hundred agree. And we got some more videos come out for the Wolf Game. If you don't know what the Wolf Game is, you don't need to know. You just show up on Monday at the top of the reconda. Easier to just accept it. Accept Acceptance is the first step, it really is. And what do we got here. We got some pirates, Debo dug Through, we got Mike Lavalier and Bob Patterson.
Speaker 5: Bobby pat Yeah, so wolf.
Speaker 3: Game you wear. I'll say this, A lot of people ask questions about the Wolf Game. What is it? The second question we always get, really, what is it now? And then the third question is, come on, guys, really, what is the Wolf Game. I'll give you this. You go to the top of the rotunda on Monday versus Diamondbacks. Extremely important series.
Speaker 4: Hey, we haven't mentioned that the Wolf game could be a pivotal game in the season.
Speaker 3: I mean, the time is not perfect. I mean you gotta wear a wolf shirt or something wolf related. It could be a hat, short socks, little ears, a tail if that's your thing. I think Debo's wearing a tail to the game for sure. I always do. And you come up with the boys and a howl, and it's a part of a pack, right. Like I've said this over and over again. It's hot out some days, summer dog days. It's hard to show up to the field some days. As a player and a fan, you got to really dig deep and mentality those wolf mentality, alpha mentality. When you show up, who do you rely on? Your pack? Yeah? The pack of wolves? Oh oh, and you fight for your brothers. I get an a there you go, perfect, it's a it's a nice day down here.
Speaker 5: I didn't get an awoo out of that guy.
Speaker 3: Oh so, hey, you got something.
Speaker 6: I'm just imagining somebody who joined in the last like two minutes.
Speaker 4: This this is a pirates podcast, by the way, this isn't a podcast about wool Wolves are no no but.
Speaker 3: We do like wolves. What do we got on the agenda for today? We're going to be at the stadium all day. If you find us to the field rasking your favorite Pittsburgh pizza yep, your favorite Yenser slang and what is a yinser to you? Yeah? And then maybe what would give away? Who knows? We always have something that we're looking to the pawn off on somebody else. Yeah, Suday it was a box of cards courtesy of sports card Junction.
Speaker 2: Give it a little shout out to our sponsors real quick.
Speaker 3: Oh here's sports card Junction ninety eleven Perry Highway, Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, Pokemon, whatever your heart desires Sports card Junction. As you covered Total Sports Enterprises, we appreciate you for sponsoring the podcast. Any sign baseball that would give away the stadium is courtesy of Total Sports Enterprises. You could find them at tsee shop dot com. And then Smashed Waffles, who was a big hit at the tailgate. You go to Smash Waffles, you mentioned the Bucko Banter home run of the Week. You get twenty percent off your entire order. You can also buy the Buco Banter Waffle. Yeah, so appreciate all of our sponsors. Again, we'll be at the park all day today. It's gonna be a long day.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what. How many podcasts have their own waffle? I bet does Joe Rogan have his own waffle?
Speaker 2: Doubt it, doubt it.
Speaker 3: Probably some probably some brain fuel waffle. Yeah. Anyways, it's probably our cy to get out of here. Yeah. I appreciate everybody for listening and tuning in on this beautiful Saturday morning. Again, if you see us at the park, say hi, talk to us, Let's talk some baseball. Maybe get you on the camera, highlight you in one of our social media videos. If you have any cool Pittsburgh tattoos, We're always looking to check those out as well. We have like kind of a competition going on right now. Yeah, between some people and who has the place that's camera friendly or not. That goes on the Patreon. Yeah, Patreon three dollars a month subscribe, Likely have a comment if you're on a if you're listening to this at a later date, make sure you leave a five star review. That really means a lot to us. It goes a long way for Scott and I and we're recording so We appreciate everybody for listening and until next time, ot itt it.
Speaker 1: Best seats at the Pirates game, they let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste h Why see is a llawyer take my date to my dates? Or the stick by the plate Synick