Speaker 1: We've talked about this last episode, but the Kristaps Porzingis to Boston trade is now completed.
Speaker 2: It is a three team trade. Here is how it shook out.
Speaker 1: Boston receives Kristaps Porzingis via Wizards, the number twenty five pick in the twenty twenty three draft via Grizzlies, the twenty twenty four first round pick top four protected. Grizzlies receive Macus Smartt via Celtics. Wizards receive Tyas Jones via Grizzlies, Danilo Gallinarian and expiring with the PopEd acl via Celtics, Mike Mouscala via Celtics, number thirty five pick in the twenty twenty three draft via Celtics, which is the second rounder. The big news, of course, is that Porzingis joins Tatum and Brown to make some sort of janky ass Big three, and Boston turns out.
Speaker 2: That Boston really really, really really really wants KP long term.
Speaker 1: They are now rumored to be extending him as soon as he becomes eligible on July sixth, to another two year, seventy seven million dollar contract, which is which is a lot of money. I don't mean to jink KP but boy, this is either going to be a great trade and he plays sixty five games again, which is about his max, or it is a disaster if he can't stay healthy. The Grizzlies get their replacement for Dylan Brooks, former Defensive Player of the Year. Probably shouldn't have gotten it, probably should have given it to somebody else, but hey, it's not my decision, and a very tough nose locker room presidence, who is a leader on a team that clearly needs some leadership. However, they do get smaller in the back court. That's probably going to be an issue going up against a team like the Denver Nuggets.
Speaker 2: But hey, I am no GM.
Speaker 1: So we'll just leave it to them. The Wizards are obviously cleaning house. I love that this has been needing to have for many years now. It's like a house that has black mold and you just keep trying to pour bleach on the walls, and you keep trying to rub the bleach and rub the bleach in. For a little while, it works, but the black mold is in the foundation, it is in the asbestos, it is in the insulation. So what you need to do is tear the thing down to the studs and build the house again. They are making big time moves. They have gotten out from under the boat anchor of Bradley Beal's contract. They have facilitated a move to get kp Out, who would have walked away for probably nothing, would have gotten some value back in Tias Jones, now in Danilo Gallinari, who they probably will move again. The other major trade involves boom, drum roll, please, holy shit. John Collins. John Collins finally gets traded. After three consecutive years of being on the trade blok, of being rumored to be moved and never moved, Finally John Collins is a Utah jazz. The trade machine just retired Collins Jersey. That is a historic moment. If you recall, Collins was the first, but certainly not the last, to say I don't really like playing with this tray Young guy.
Speaker 2: Ever since, he made it clear.
Speaker 1: That he didn't love an offense where Trey Young dribbles for twenty out of the twenty four seconds and then hands you a grenade and then does that or take some forty foot jumper, Collins has been pretty much on the outs.
Speaker 2: He survived two coaches.
Speaker 1: Could not outlast Quinn Snyder, who has now made the move mostly because of the salary cap issues. Collins got traded to the Utah Jazz for Well. At one point, the Atlanta Hawks were only going to take two first rounders for John Collins and know how things change. Now they get back Gay, who is thirty seven years old I think.
Speaker 2: And a future second round pick. Yikes.
Speaker 1: Do these boat anchor contracts come home to Ruth fast? Do they not stop paying guys too much money? As for Atlanta, Rudy Gay is not a piece that will do a damn thing for the Hawks. It's a salary dump. Rudy's making six and a half million dollars. Good for him for being an unproductive player on an expiring He could offer some we'll call it emotional support on the bench, but look for the Hawks to make some other moves after getting cap flexibility. The third move was the Timberwolves signing nas Read. Oh yeah, baby, the Wolves just signed a three year, forty two million dollars deal for nas Reed and I'll.
Speaker 2: Forgive you if you haven't heard of him.
Speaker 1: Considering the fact that Minnesota already has two other that you probably do know their name, Karl Anthony Towns and Rudy Goldbert. Let me do a little math for you. Currently, the Wolves have a ninety one million dollars tied up in just the center position alone. You know, the same position that teams are just completely going away from. They don't even start. Some teams don't even start a center. Instead, they run out guys like Nick Batoom. Sometimes they run out guys like I don't know, Draymond Green or Cavon Looney as stretch fives. But now the Wolves and all of their wisdom, have multiple traditional centers on the books for almost one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: Kat could probably play the four, but he's really a five.
Speaker 1: There is no scenario that Rudy Gobert is anything but a large ball center. I love nas Reed. He is a great story. He's an undrafted kid out of LSU. He has worked himself into a role that many teams wanted to use him in. The question is, as Brian Windhorse would say, why would the Timberwolves do that?
Speaker 2: Why would they do that? The reason is quite simple.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, I believe that free agent signing means that Karl Anthony Towns aka.
Speaker 2: Kitty Cat is gonna be on the move. We am Minnesota now, not anymore, bitch.
Speaker 1: The Timberwolves have appeared in exactly three playoff series in his eight year career. He has been largely neutralized in both of those series. He was better than people remember in twenty twenty two, but listen, he has been a problem. He agreed to a supermax extension last summer that carries through twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty eight. God damn, we'll be over forty by then.
Speaker 1: That's a long ass time. He has two all NBA thirteen nods in eight years. He is on the books for two hundred and five fifty six million dollars over the next five years. So why would Minnesota sign nas Reed? Because you, sir, are getting shipped the fuck out. I think that nas Reed is like the Silver Surfer, the Herald of the Galactus in the MCU. Change is a coming in Minnesota, and I think it ends up with Karl Anthony Towns in a place like Golden State.
Speaker 2: Where New York or Brooklyn. A lot of trades and signings about to happen.
Speaker 1: So stay tuned on the heat Check, as we'll keep you updated on all the big moves during this trade deadline,