Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan EDGs Dan Patrick Show. Reggie Miller will stop by a little bit later on. We'll talk to the Monday morning quarterback Albert Breer lo and behold, the Colts have finally found their quarterback. He's forty four year old Philip Rivers. Not signed yet, but I guess he worked out. We'll talk to Albert Breer about that possibility. I'm guessing Riley Leonard is going to be out there even on one leg against Seattle. I can't imagine having anybody quarterbacking against Seattle's defense, let alone a forty four year old Philip Rivers out there in Seattle Chargers over the Eagles. Chargers are now nine to five. Philly is eight and five, and that was all on Jalen Hurtz, including the overtime interception. Four interceptions also had to fumble as well. The acc responded to Notre Dame saying that they value the partnership and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Notre Dame has a press conference in an hour from now. From what we've been told two different sources that this was scheduled. This isn't in response to the ACC and being snubbed by the College Football Playoff Committee. But I'm sure that there will be questions about the ACC. This is more for the local media to kind of do the reset as you go into the offseason. That's what we were told. Don't know if there's going to be any declaration. My opinion, my advice would be, if you want to say anything about the ACC and your relationship, why not say we're going to take thirty days to reassess our relationship with the ACC.
Speaker 3: That way, you don't react right away.
Speaker 2: I think they reacted right away when they got snubbed with the playoff committee and the players voted and said we're not going to play. I think if you gave them a couple of days to say, hey, we can still play as a team. We're not going to have everybody, but we still get to play as a team. You know, that would be a great way to end the season. Not the way we thought, but you know what, we're Notre Dame. Let's go out headheld high, be proud of who we are and what we did this year. This isn't our fault, it's somebody else's. I mean, that would be the approach that I would have. But from what we're told, this was scheduled. This was really for the local media. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, Seaton. How about the poll question for the final hour, and then we'll get to the popular Albert Brier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got up there right now, Philip Rivers coming back to the Colt. Seventy three percent of the audience have that as a terrible idea, and man, they're in trouble. Colt Chiefs, Eagles, ravens, cults are running away with that one.
Speaker 3: About half the vote.
Speaker 2: Albert Brier, the Monday morning quarterback, senior NFL reporter. They call him Bert locally. I was watching the Patriots pregame show and all I know is Tom Kern and Michael Hawley kept saying, let's go out to Bert, and I go, who's Burt?
Speaker 5: Next?
Speaker 3: Thing I know, I got Albert Breer on the field. So should I call you Bert? You can call me.
Speaker 5: Whatever you want to.
Speaker 6: I never correct anybody on that, So whatever you're most comfortable with.
Speaker 2: I'm good with okay, If Philip Rivers is the answer, I don't want to know the question, but I do have aunse that question. If not Philip Rivers, what are the other options for the Colds as a backup quarterback or starting slashed backup quarterback?
Speaker 6: I mean the plan if it's not Riley Leonard, which we'll see, you know, you know he's got the spray knee. If it's not Riley Leonard, Brett Rippon, who does have experience and has played in the NFL, would probably be the next answer. And you'd be working out some guys on Tuesday, which is today, to try to try to figure out, you.
Speaker 5: Know, where you can go. This is really sort of a.
Speaker 6: You know, I got a perfect storm of quarterback crap, you know, like in dealing with with Daniel Jones getting hurt and I'm not making light of it, but like Daniel Jones having the torn achilles after playing on a fracture of fibula, Riley Leonard tweaks his knee, You've got Anthony Richardson who has the orbitable orbital injury. Like from what I understand, he's still resting that eye.
Speaker 7: There's no timetable for his return, and you know, you've got a team that's clearly reeling, there's lost three games in a row, that's got a gauntlet down the stretch, has Seattle in San Francisco the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: You know, if you're Chris Ballard and Shane Stikeen and the guy's in charge there, you're doing everything you can to try to create some level of hope that they can, you know, dig what was an incredibly promising season out of a ditch. And so I'm sure we'll get more into why Philip and all of that, but you know, there aren't a ton of options. We're past the trade deadline. You know, the guys that are out there out there for for for for a pretty for clear reason, you're not available at the most important position on the field at this time of year. If there are a lot of teams that think he can help, he.
Speaker 3: Hadn't played in five years now.
Speaker 2: Granted, yeah, I don't think his arm strength is going to be lesser because it wasn't great and didn't have mobility. But I mean, can you see a scenario where Philip Rivers is playing football the rest of the season, Well.
Speaker 6: So, he had his workout last night, and my understanding as he threw up pretty well, but like you said, like I think you sort of expect that.
Speaker 5: I remember having this conversation with Joe Flacco.
Speaker 6: Earlier this year and he said to me, He's like, I think I'm going to be able to throw at an NFL level until I'm fifty. He's like, I don't think my arm strength is going away. And I think anybody, like even like a suburban dad like me, like I can go out and throw the football in the backyard.
Speaker 5: I can't run like I used to, but I can go out and throw the ball to my kids.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: So I think that's one of the lot that's one of those things where it's like, yes, he can still throw the ball. He's been coaching high school football, so he's been around it, coaching his son down there in Alabama, and you know, he has been working out and training NFL and college quarterbacks over the last few years. So he's stayed connected, he's stayed working. He's still throwing. That's not the question. The question is can he still move around enough to protect himself. Has he been doing the work to keep himself in the shape, to the shape he needs to be in to do that, you know, And then I.
Speaker 5: Think the big question is how how are you going to take a hit?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: That's the thing is, like I don't think anybody can project you know what it's what's going to happen if he were out there on Sunday and you know, Byron Murphy the three technique from Seattle gets through the line and buries him.
Speaker 5: Like is he going to be able to get up from that?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 5: I think that's probably the biggest question.
Speaker 6: And you know, I think the timing of it is a question too.
Speaker 5: You mentioned the five year layoff. You remember Drew Henson right.
Speaker 3: Yep, back in the day.
Speaker 6: So for those who don't know, if Drew Henson, you know, had come out of Michigan, you know, in twenty twenty two and it kept playing.
Speaker 5: Football at Michigan. If he had come out in twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: Two, he might have been a contender to be the first overall pick. Instead, he takes the money and goes in place for the Yankees. That doesn't work out. He tried to come back to football.
Speaker 5: A few years later.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I remember talking to some Cowboys people I covered the Cowboys on the beat a few years after that, and I remember having just casual conversation with people about Drew Henson and why.
Speaker 5: He didn't make it, because physically it's very talent.
Speaker 6: He was a really good quarterback at Michigan, the successor to Tom Brady there. And you know what the Cowboys people said to me was, you don't understand when you're away from it, how quickly the timing goes away, and how hard it is to replicate that, and all the things that go along with being able to stand in the pocket with your eyes downfield, with you know, two hundred and fifty three hundred pound guys who are elite athletes coming at you at full speed, like there's no way to replicate that. So if you're out of it for a few years, it's hard to get it back. And there's thing was, that's what happened to Drew Henson, right, wouldn't that apply here to I mean, I know Rivers obviously has a ton more experience, but if you've been out of it, I would think the timing.
Speaker 5: Of it would be an issue too.
Speaker 6: So there's a ton of reason to ask questions about it, you know, And I like I think, you know, if if nothing else like this at least shows the Colts locker room that this stiching and ball are doing everything they possibly can to create some modicum of hope. You know, whether or not it can actually work, I think, you know, I don't know that anybody has the answer to that question, because this feels pretty unprecedented.
Speaker 2: You know, why is the trade deadline where it is during the season, Well.
Speaker 6: I mean the main reason is so you don't see teams dumping players late. That's the main thing is. You know, what what the NFL want wants to avoid is a situation where you have you know, some three win team or two win team, and the general managers or buddies or whatever, and you see competitive balance getting thrown off because this player or that player is getting moved to another team at the end of the year. Now that team that's already non competitive becomes even less competitive.
Speaker 5: I think it has more to do with that in that like your team.
Speaker 6: Is your team, they have done work to move it back. I mean, you know this DP as well as anybody, Like the last few years, they have you know, been in those situations where it's like okay, like we're going to move it back another week. And I've actually seen some of the data on this, which is interesting that the percentage of the season that's done when they have a trade deadline is lower in football than it is in baseball or basketball. And the case for moving it back even further than it is now is to kind of get it up to that standard that you see in other sports. But the main reason why is like the NFL wants to avoid a situation where you.
Speaker 5: Know, you have teams end in November beginning of December.
Speaker 6: Dumping all of these players can affect attendance at games, can affect the the competitiveness of certain matchups.
Speaker 5: That's really the reason and why.
Speaker 2: Talking Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback, senior NFL reporter, you have this proliferation of long field goals in the NFL, and we're about aesthetics.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if the Competition committee has ever addressed can you raise the crossbar? Like is there something that they've gotten too good at this?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 3: Just like the extra.
Speaker 2: Point that would maybe change the philosophy of all these longer field goals here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think there are there are things you could do you could raise the crossbar, you could narrow the uprights. You know, I think you got to look at the reasoning why this is happening too. Like, I had a really good conversation with Nick Folk about this, you know, a couple of weeks ago, and he's obviously been doing it.
Speaker 5: For a long long time.
Speaker 6: I believe this is his nineteenth year in the NFL, And so I asked him, I said, like, what do you think it is? He said, the caball is definitely a factor. Now again, for those who don't know.
Speaker 3: Explain the cable, explain explain the cable.
Speaker 5: Right, So, like, I guess we can relate this to the flightgate.
Speaker 6: Like, quarterbacks have always been given the opportunity to prepare balls right to so they can have each game ball just as.
Speaker 5: They like it for game day.
Speaker 6: So the quarterbacks have always had that opportunity to do that. They don't They didn't allow kickers to do that until this year. So now kickers have the same opportunity to prepare the caballs, which are the balls that are there.
Speaker 5: For the kickers.
Speaker 6: The kickers and punters can prepare the balls the same way the quarterbacks do for game day. So I think most kickers would tell you that's a factor. I don't know exactly what they're doing, whether I actually asked him, I said, is there something everyone's doing to the ball.
Speaker 5: He's like, I don't know. I just haven't talked to enough people to know.
Speaker 6: But I'm sure that everybody's done research onto it and looked into it and it's doing something that's helping them.
Speaker 5: So that's number one.
Speaker 6: The second thing that folks said to me was more interesting, though, He said, because it's become so competitive for college scholarships. And then obviously, you know spots in the NFL. You know, you what you're seeing is better athletes the position now. And so you've got a guy who you know, is a really good high school player who's maybe a really good high school receiver or a really good high school corner or a really good high school linebacker, and maybe he could play Division two or three college football. But if he learns how to kick, he can kick at Alabama, or he can kick at Oregon, or he can kick at Ohio State.
Speaker 3: And so now you.
Speaker 6: Have these guys who are like really good athletes in their own right, who are probably you know, college football players at a baseline and now they're learning how to kick, and so you have these guys who are more explosive, who have better legs learning how to do it. You add on too that some of the personal training they're getting and better athletes are making it at that position. He had mentioned actually Tyler Loop, who is the Ravens kicker, who was from the University of Arizona.
Speaker 5: Which is Folks alma mater.
Speaker 6: He said he worked out with him and he was like, I couldn't believe, Like when I talked to the strength coaches at Arizona what sort of athlete he was. He said he was like a twenty one or twenty two mile an hour guy on the GPS, which is insane, you know what I mean, Like, that's not that far off from what like the field players you know, run. So I think it's a number of factors, and you know, I don't know exactly how you address it, but I do think that that's the one part.
Speaker 5: That you that you really won't change.
Speaker 6: You know, you could go back to the old rules and the CA balls and everything else. But I mean the fact that there are better athletes that are more specialized doing it.
Speaker 5: I think as a factor as well.
Speaker 3: How many head coaching vacancies do you think we're going to have?
Speaker 5: I mean I think the normal number probably seven or eight.
Speaker 3: You know you felt total with like what happened with the Giant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you have the Giants and the Titans.
Speaker 6: Now, you know, I think there are definitely some like that have come up that maybe we didn't expect to months ago. Atlanta, Arizona would probably be in that bucket that are at least going to be, you know, under some level of evaluation.
Speaker 5: What does Cleveland do?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 5: And then you have like your curve ball.
Speaker 6: You know, like that would be like if Pittsburgh and I don't think this would be a firing, but if Pittsburgh and Mike Tomlin have a mutual parting.
Speaker 5: So I think we'll get to that number to seven or eight.
Speaker 6: And you know the interesting thing about it is, I think a lot of teams are gonna have to evaluate this Dan and say, is what's behind door number two worth getting rid of what we know is.
Speaker 3: Already behind door Penn State?
Speaker 6: Right, I mean, I think that's that's going to be it for a lot of these teams because I would make this argument, right, I think if you's today December ninth, right, So if you ask me on December ninth, twenty twenty four, I would have told you Ben Johnson and Mike Rabel are going to be head coaches next year. I don't know where. I can't tell you exactly where, but those two guys are going to be head coaches next year. I'd even maybe have given you Aaron Glenn at that time. I'm like, I'm pretty sure he's go at one?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 5: Who is that this year?
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's a hot guy and that's it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Like, I like, you have some interesting names, like Jesse Mentor has done a great job with the Chargers defense. I think Mike McDonald because their similar background helps him a lot.
Speaker 5: Mike McDonald's had great success in Seattle. Of course.
Speaker 6: You know Chris Shula, who's you know, got the bloodlines of course, is in the RAMS program. Like he's another one, like the hot offensive guy, I mean, who is it now? I mean, Joe Brady's had like a little bit of an up and down year in Buffalo. He's interviewed really well, so I think if the bill's finished strong, maybe he becomes the guy you know, and then you've got a couple of the second chance guys, you know, Mike McCarthy I think will be in the mix, But I don't know like that you would look at it right now and say yes, like this guy will be a head coach next year. And you had at least a couple of those guys last year. And I think in most years you have at least a couple of guys where you can say, yeah, like that guy's going to be a head coach this year. And so if you're a team that's like considering a changer, you're on the fence. Maybe that gets your your guy a stay of execution. I even argue with Miami right like where Mike McDaniel has now you know, like resurrected, you know, like perception. I it was interesting because I was having these conversations with some people with the Dolphins, and you know what one person told me is like that Steve Ross was hearing the buzz that Mike McDaniel will be a great second chance head coach. And it caused Ross to say, well, wait a second, then, why why would we get.
Speaker 5: Rid of him?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, like like if.
Speaker 6: He's going to be such a good it's gonna be such a good hire for somebody the second time around. Why aren't we trying harder to see if we can make the first time around work. So if you're them now and you're the Dolphins, you're looking at it and you're saying, Okay, we fired the general manager. Now Mike McDaniel has this team at six and seven and going into Pittsburgh on Monday with a chance to get to five hundred.
Speaker 5: Were eliminated from the playoffs. We haven't lost since we fired the GM on Halloween. I wouldn't you think twice about that? So I think that's part of the equation for a lot of these teams.
Speaker 3: Thanks again, Bert, good to have you on.
Speaker 8: You got it.
Speaker 5: You can call me whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterbacks senior NFL reporter. Yeah, I stumbled onto the Patriots pregame show and our good buddy Tom Kerr and Michael Holly, They're like.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Bert.
Speaker 2: I go who is Burt And all of a sudden, it's Albert Breer there on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: Take a break. Red G. Miller up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app. Fox Sports Radio is taking over YouTube and you can be a.
Speaker 3: Part of it.
Speaker 11: Just go to YouTube and search Fox Sports Radio, hit that subscribe button and smash that notification bell and catch all the videos from your favorite shows. Tu Pro's and a Cup of Joe Dan Patrick, Colin Coward, Doug Gottlieb Rich, The Odd Couple with Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington, The Jason Smith Show with.
Speaker 1: Mike Harmon, and the Ben Maler shaw Lock Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: On YouTube. Subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon and comment away.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up once again, Notre Dame as a press conference at the top of the hour. From everything we've been told, this isn't a big announcement or maybe no real big announcement or declaration here. It's somewhat scheduled for the end of the football season. Just happens to coincide with the interview with the athletic director yesterday, Reggie Aloysius Miller Junior, the third Hall of Famer NBC Sports NBA lead game analyst. We're twenty five games in this is when we start to go okay, now it feels like it's a little bit more than just a trend.
Speaker 3: It becomes a real story. So if that's the case, what would be the number one story?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe it's OKAC is so much better than everybody else? Would that be the number of number one story for you?
Speaker 9: I think yes, because now everyone it's gonna be on the tip of people's tongue. Can they eclipse that Golden State record of winning seventy three seventy four games and at the end of it winning the championship? People need to remember the Warriors had that best record, but they lost in the finals. So I think people still view the Bulls because of that seventy.
Speaker 10: Two and ten record ended up winning the championship.
Speaker 9: I think everyone's thinking, when is OKC gonna lose again? That would probably be the number one story, and to me, the number two story. We didn't think Luca and the Lakers would.
Speaker 5: Be this game.
Speaker 9: No one thought Lebron would be the third wheel on this team, which he is, and that's a heck of a third will to have. Austin Reeves is playing like an All Star are in a contract year. I didn't have the Lakers being this good, the question going forward can they sustain it in health will be a big issue in my opinion for the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to when Luca was in Dallas and I know that we corresponded and you had said Luca was out of shape. I don't know the exact language, but then I know after the game you started to wonder did you take a step too far? You know, did you were you overly critical? And I wonder, looking back on that, what kind of role do you think that played it all with Luca the Mavericks and maybe where he is right now with the Lakers.
Speaker 9: I think the comments Kevin and I made, not necessarily about his weight, but being in shape to play at an NBA level. And if you listen to Luca's comments the day after, he echoed what we said, like, yeah, I'm not in the best of shape, could be in better shape. So he kind of piggyback what we said, and he knew. I mean, because whenever I say things, it comes from a place of truth and love. I'm not going to sugarcoat anything, and I would always want someone to tell me the truth as well. When I was a player, I respect that more so, I think he respected kind of what we were saying.
Speaker 10: And you fast.
Speaker 9: Forward to now, JJ Reddick basically said the same thing in their postseason meetings, you got to get in better shape.
Speaker 5: Well what does he do.
Speaker 9: He goes back to Slovenia, He gets in the best shape, plays unbelievable, the leading scorer in euro Basket, carries that over into this year and he's leading the league in score.
Speaker 10: But more importantly, it just looks better for him.
Speaker 9: He's moving better, there's more fluidity to his game. Not to say that he couldn't have done that playing the way he played in Dallas, but I think long, big, and long picture for Luca and the Lakers.
Speaker 10: If he stays in.
Speaker 9: This shape, I just think the numbers are going to go through the roof because there's longevity, there's staying power when he plays at this weight and he looks this good Theodore.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of revisionist history too with Austin Reeves because I didn't see this, No, I don't know who did. But I remember talking to two college basketball analysts and I said, do you remember Austin Reeves with this potential? And they're like, well, you know, you could see if he was gonna go really.
Speaker 9: To me, no one thought this look, no one thought this coming. And again I always tell people this. You're a product of your environment. He went undrafted and he wanted to sign with the Lakers. He saw a fit in a place where he thought he could build a Niche he took a game on himself, Dan, and knocked on wood health provided. I think it's gonna pay off because the Lakers or someone is going to have to pay him because he is a legitimate number one on a bad team. If he goes somewhere else, so he could be a number one on a bad team, or if he stays with the Lakers, be an unbelievable Robin to Batman because he has certainly taken that role from Lebron, and I think they respect that.
Speaker 10: So right now he's in the cat.
Speaker 9: First seat, and he controls his own destiny as long as he continues to play like.
Speaker 10: This and understand and know his role, which he plays perfectly.
Speaker 3: Is she gonna get fifty million dollars a year?
Speaker 10: I mean that's what it looks like.
Speaker 9: I mean, Dan, I'm not gonna you can't fault that he has put in the work. Think about how he's come along when he was thrust into it with just Lebron, and Lebron was giving him. I remember a clip when Lebron was explaining something to him and he looked like a deer in headlights. Lebron was explaining a rotation on the floor and he was like looking.
Speaker 10: Like like, what do I do? I rotate?
Speaker 9: And you fast forward to now he is one of the biggest vote voices on this Lakers team. So fifty million is coming his way, either from the Lakers or from someone else. The matter will begue, will it be for five years or four years? He's getting it somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't be grudging making the money. It's you go from undrafted to your kind of there and then you would see like little bits and pieces where you go. All right, I didn't get a shot, all right, you can get to the hole, all right. He's a great And then all of a sudden Lebron goes out, and then all of a sudden, Austin Reeves or Luca's out, and then Austin Reeves is like, uh, do I need to get forty like that? Doesn't you know? That's that's it's hard to compute where you go. I can go out and get forty you know, a couple of times here, or I can be a twenty five point scorer. I guess it was just the surprising element of And somebody told me who works with the Lakers. We saw him in practice, and you know, playing in practice, sometimes you'll see somebody and you'll go, what man.
Speaker 10: Great practice player?
Speaker 3: But yeah, exactly, yeah, and.
Speaker 10: It translates the games.
Speaker 9: And this is why I tell kids in high school and college players alike, rankings really don't mean anything.
Speaker 10: They don't.
Speaker 9: It's what's in your heart, and it's how you developed. I was a late bloomer and I came on late. I was late to be recruited by UCLA. I was slow to develop. At UCLA. They brought me along slow, which was great because they allowed me to grow into my game. And I think Austin Rivers is like that as well. So don't worry about rankings, don't worry about what other people say. As long as you put the grind in and the hard work, the fruits of your labor will come out. Finding the right fit. Would he be the successful if he was in Minnesota, if he was in Charlotte, We don't know.
Speaker 10: Sometimes it's the right fit.
Speaker 9: And let's give Rob po Lincoln and that staff a lot of credit for taking a gamble. Sometimes you got to take a gamble, a risky gamble, and it pays off and it works out.
Speaker 3: Talking to Red G.
Speaker 2: Miller, the Hall of Famer, when do the Bucks decide what they're gonna do with Giannis?
Speaker 10: To me, it's got to be sooner than later.
Speaker 9: And if you're Doc Rivers, and I know he said all the right things that Giannis has not come out and said he wants to be traded. But you just have to figure are we wasting this young man's nine years here. They've tried to do everything to surround him with talent. Now he's got to stay on the court.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 9: I know he's had some nagging, nagging injuries this last this year as well as towards the end of last year. To me, he doesn't want to be the a hole. He doesn't want to come out and be demonstrative and say I want to be traded.
Speaker 10: But to me, he he has earned the right. He brought them a championship.
Speaker 2: But he's got to be careful that he doesn't say I want to go to the Knicks. He's got to be I'm open to being.
Speaker 9: Travers to be behind closed doors with him, and I'm sure he's he's voiced that, but he just can't public publicly come out and say I want to go to the Knicks, which everyone that's our job. But everyone's formulating the numbers. Will it be Miami, will it be New York? Could it be La? Who do you is really in this deal? I mean, there's there's so many ways that people are crunching the numbers. It just from a basketball standpoint, then you know this, him in New York just makes sense, doesn't it?
Speaker 10: Him? Paired?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 3: But who does?
Speaker 2: You got to look at both sides of the deal. People only look at one side and they go, man, you're honest with the Knicks. Okay, who are the Bucks going to get? And you go, you know what, we did the best we could. We have Karl Anthony Towns, and we have Michel Bridges, and we have what is that enough?
Speaker 9: And probably a protected pick. I mean, if you're if you're Milwaukee, and I can get Karl Anthony Towns, who's an all star, one of the premier shooting big men. Our game has ever seen. And Michael Bridges, who hasn't missed the game since his seventh grade AAU team, so you know he's reliable and will play. You're getting two guys that I've been I know you'll never get fair value. You're never gonna get equal trade value for yan Man.
Speaker 3: But you don't want draft picks you would you wanted.
Speaker 9: I need a couple of draft picks as well. I need those two guys, and I need two first round picks.
Speaker 10: Let's shake hands and call it a day.
Speaker 2: You mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, and I have a friend who works in the NBA, and he goes, what's Reggie smoking? When you said con Canipple and his three point shooting? And I said, I think Reggie firmly believes conk Nipple he's going to set the all time rookie record for three pointers made. That's yeah, that's a given.
Speaker 9: The question will be here's the thing, when people say, you know what am I smoking? The question will be for con will he be a go to guy? Like how Steph was a go to guy from years five through now? Because at first three or four years, he he was injury riddled yea. So Con will have those numbers on Steph the first three years. The question going forward for Con will be in year four and five, where's his development and where is he in the pecking order if he is even if he's still in Charlotte, who even knows if he'll be there. That's will he have the longevity because Steph has always had the longevity after year four and he was the go to guy? Will Con be a go to guy? And will he always get these get the opportunities that Steph has gotten. Who knows, But if you're going to go by the first two or three years, Con will have the numbers on Steph.
Speaker 2: Do you know who has the rookie record for most three pointers? Mate, Paulie said, I would be shocked. Now is this a recent guy, Paulie?
Speaker 12: Yeah, he's still pretty young. He plays in a town that doesn't get a ton of bridge on the NBA calendar, Trey Young, Keegan Murray two hundred and sixty threes.
Speaker 13: Woah with your kings Dan, Wow, your guy Con right now? What is that number, by the way, two thirty six two six two So Keegan Murray Kanknipple right now is on pace for two hundred and sixty three threes.
Speaker 3: He blow away the record. Yeah, dang, But he plays in Charlotte.
Speaker 10: That's the problem.
Speaker 9: And will he stay in Charlotte his whole career or will someone come a calling?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 9: So, does he stay healthy? And will he ever be a go to guy like Stephan Curry? He's not even a go to guy on.
Speaker 10: Charlotte right now.
Speaker 9: The reason why he's getting all these threes is Lamel has been in and out of the lineups. Brandon Miller has been in and out of the lineups, so the opportunity is there. I would I'm curious to see once everyone is healthy, does he still get these looks, which I hope he does because he's a fly out shooter.
Speaker 10: But again, view him on his first three.
Speaker 9: Years versus steph first three years. He'll have the numbers. The question will be going forward, will be year.
Speaker 8: Four on.
Speaker 2: Can the Hornets be a playoff team if LaMelo Ball is your best player?
Speaker 3: No, No, nothing to happen there.
Speaker 9: I love, I love LaMelo, but LaMelo has to stay healthy, and to me, he just has to.
Speaker 2: He's just a curiosity, He's a curios He's just a he's a guy out there having fun, But I I don't think I.
Speaker 9: Would love to see him on a really, really good team where every possession matters.
Speaker 3: PAULI, what what do you have.
Speaker 12: Reggie Miller's total threes as a rook By the way, Reggie came off the bench as a rookie, so he played eighty two games, started one. He was sixty one for one seventy two as a rookie. Sixty one threes.
Speaker 9: And I broke Larry birds record. Yes, record, that was breaking Larry Birds record. I think Larry Bird had like fifty seven.
Speaker 5: Right, Polly, that's right.
Speaker 10: I broke it with sixty one.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 10: And what is calling at right now currently?
Speaker 3: Is that eighty one?
Speaker 9: Come on, man, and we're not even We're only a quarter up to the season.
Speaker 3: I know he's gonna and there.
Speaker 8: Do your homework.
Speaker 10: Do your homework.
Speaker 3: What did reggie average assist was?
Speaker 12: I think he had three assists that season. Now you know you have one hundred and thirty two assistans. No, you could pass if you wanted to.
Speaker 10: No, right, thank you, Theodore.
Speaker 9: If I wanted, if you just did not The Pacers leader put the ball in the back five minutes left in the game, closed the game. That's what it said up my bio. Oh dude, okay, that was my job description when they hired me.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: I love that Reggie would pass it, but he wanted it back after he passed, I pass it, I'll pass it back. Uh.
Speaker 3: What's his career high assist in a game in.
Speaker 12: A game in a season?
Speaker 10: One footble double? That was it?
Speaker 12: Okay, I got eleven assists in a game for Reggie. His best season, he averaged fours is a game year five?
Speaker 10: Wow, why are you looking at me like that, Theodore, I don't know. The game has changed today.
Speaker 9: We have a point guard that distributed the ball. We had shooting guards that shot the ball. We had small forwards who were like wing players who defended.
Speaker 3: How many how many assisted? He assisted? Bird average when he was playing.
Speaker 2: Because he had a point guard, he ended up getting you know, seven eight, that's different.
Speaker 5: Different.
Speaker 12: Larry Bird's best season he averaged seven and a half a siss a game.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm just saying he was a shooter and a rebounder, but also passing.
Speaker 3: You were coming up with excuses.
Speaker 9: There no no, no excuse. It's just knowing my role. That's the key for eighteen years plus is knowing your role?
Speaker 3: Were you ever first or second or thirteen? Old defense? No?
Speaker 9: No, Now what they should have had a category for was I could have been first, second, thirteen?
Speaker 12: All team.
Speaker 10: I was a great team help.
Speaker 3: You were a helper, a.
Speaker 10: Great help defender.
Speaker 9: So when someone got beat slide over and then let Dale and Rick and.
Speaker 2: Wait, but you were guarding shooting guards. You're the one that needed team help.
Speaker 10: I forced them into the Hell.
Speaker 1: Oh that's.
Speaker 10: Help for them to.
Speaker 5: Help.
Speaker 3: Hell, somebody pick up Kobe. Somebody get Kobe help help. Uh, thank you, Rech, good to talk to you.
Speaker 10: Appreciate your Theodore. Thank you Daniels. PAULI, great job on no.
Speaker 2: Staff, Frich, what you do you get an assist there, Paulie, that's what you get.
Speaker 3: All right. We'll take a break. Last call for phone calls? What we learned? What's in store tomorrow? After this?
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search f s R to listen live. Last call for phone calls?
Speaker 2: What we learned? What since store tomorrow? Paul Finebaum's gonna join us on the program tomorrow. He'll be fired up, he'll be ripping Notre Dame.
Speaker 4: Let me guess everybody, but the SEC stinks?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, yes, something like that as a previews.
Speaker 2: Yeah Jason in Wisconsin, Hi, Jas, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey dd?
Speaker 8: How you doing?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 8: Great? Great? A five to ten A structure? Add listen this this Notre Dame foolishness. Right. They have more responsibility in this whole mess than the selection committee. Now, did the selection committee screwed up by having Miami ranked ahead of them all cs? Yes, so let's go back Notre Dame. You wanted to be independent, you got it. You wanted to have a part time relationship with the ACC, you got it. You wanted to make your own schedule, you got it. You decided to lose to Miami. You decided to lose to Texas A and m what's the ACC supposed to do if not goes to a bowl? How much of that money does the ACCC?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Look, you make valid points here. I'm not defending Notre Dame. It's about the rankings, that's all. Notre Dame lost to Miami, lost to Texas A and m But why the switch in the rankings.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: That's all I've said. And we had all of the information. We knew they lost to Miami. We knew they lost to A and m We knew everything about Notre Dame. They were done playing. Nothing changed, Miami wasn't in the ACC title game. Nothing changed. Something happened in the room.
Speaker 5: That's all.
Speaker 2: I go back, and I'm gonna put the onus on you. If this was reversed, the outcry would be leading every show. Oh my god, Notre Dame got in over Miami. Oh okay, brand I mean, come on, just be There's a difference between I'm gonna be fair to the situation or I hate Notre Dame. And there's more people that don't like Notre Dame because Notre Dame is playing by their own rules. Yes, the fact that the college Football Playoff Committee let Notre Dame somehow come up with a document that said, if we're in the top twelve next year, we're automatically in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: So explain that, Yeah, Pull, I.
Speaker 12: Don't know if there's a team in America pro or college that's more polarizing. No one's casual about Notre Dame. You either are a fan and have been for life, or you really really don't like them, and that's what the coverage of the past two days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to be as neutral, you know, nonpartisan, unbiased as possible. But hey, because I had him on and I gave him the opportunity than a all of a sudden a mouthpiece or I let him just talk. You know, if the Miami AD and they didn't get in, I would have invited the Miami ad on.
Speaker 3: Okay, So.
Speaker 2: This is more than Notre Dame. But people just want to make it Notre Dame. That's where you know your arguments are faulty. This day in sports history, Paul.
Speaker 12: Eric Dickerson of the Rams became the second running back to run for more than two thousand yards in a season. That was nineteen eighty four. And then Dan one of my favorites, if you permit me, Walter Payton and the Chicago Bears ran six plays at quarterback and I don't have the stats here by this is QBR. I think he was six for six with six touchdowns, but I have to double check.
Speaker 3: Probably so, probably so.
Speaker 2: Also twenty thirteen, the Bears retired Mike Dick's number eighty nine Jersey, Wait a while. Yeah, yeah, I still have a mirror. It's a cigar mirror from his bar. It's out in the hallway as you lead right down the hallway towards it's Mario after long. Yeah, but I saw it. It was in the bathroom and I said, I said, Coach, I'd love to have this. He goes take it off the wall. So I had somebody help me take it off the wall. What did I learn today?
Speaker 1: Todd?
Speaker 3: On this award nominated program.
Speaker 13: Albert Bruce says, not to make light of it, but the cult situation has become a perfect storm of quarterback crap.
Speaker 3: Our pleasure to serve, you had fun.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Fritzy Seat and Marv Pauli years truly and the Brgs.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to you tomorrow.