Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren Z mccoming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas as summer wraps up and kids are heading back to school. It's happening. I hear, babe.
Speaker 2: What you need to hear is that we are going from Brat's Summer to demrr fall.
Speaker 1: Explain. I know the Brat reference.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Charlie XCX album. It's been a Brat summer.
Speaker 1: I do get that.
Speaker 2: So I'll be honest. I've been very off TikTok for god well over a year, maybe even almost two years. I just found TikTok to be too addicting, and if you look into it, there's literally science behind how it auto scrolls. It was the first social media app to auto scroll, and it's all video and lights and whatever. So I'm just off TikTok. I'm just ricially in my well so I'm a little a little late. But on the other hand, I think it's kind of just popping off. Apparently demurre is the new buzzword, and it comes from someone on TikTok, a TikTok personality named Jules lebron if I'm saying that name right, explaining demure and how to be demure. So this is kind of blowing my mind because at least with Bratt, it was sort of like, oh, we're doing a new spin on the word brat and it has this new meaning.
Speaker 1: It's like fat what fat used to mean? And then fat differently pH pht. And then Bratt was like, you're a brat, like you're kind of a crappy person. No one wants to staying around with you.
Speaker 2: And now now bratt has a meaning. Yeah, but this is just people using the word demure, which is it's intended the actual definition. I think we're just discovered. People are rediscovering that demure is a word, and maybe some people are learning demere's a word for thet.
Speaker 1: Anything been more TikTok than inventing a new word that already exists and using the original definition.
Speaker 2: You know, they're not trying to invent it. Look part of me. At first, I'll be honest, I had this millennial reaction of like, okay, do we not know the word demure? And that scared me a little. But then I thought this can't really be a new thing. There's got to be an element, maybe less so now than ever before because the Internet exists and people can look things up and learn about things so quickly, But there has to be like there are words that used to be common that have fallen out of use, like sometimes what is that thing? There's that like old Scottish Oh, this was a big thing for a while, a hirkle durkle. A hirkle durkle is apparently a Scottish term for when you get up in the morning but you kind of just hang in bed for a while, like I'm having a hirkle dierkle, which I personally love. But people discovered it again, start using it again this year, And I bet if you went back to some Scots, you know, I don't know one hundred years ago, they'd say, wait, people don't know the word hirkle dierkle anymore.
Speaker 1: Look at the gams on that one.
Speaker 2: Gams legs. I know that we should try to out phrase each other, except nothing's coming to mind for me. We're pretty but yeah, demure, so demure fall. I think the word demure is inherently a fall type word. Well, it's easier to be demure when you're wearing sweaters and like buttoned up things versus bikinis in the summer.
Speaker 1: And sweat rolling down your back. That's not demure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, demure is giving the vibe of like a Rory Gilmore. We're in the fall, We're demure Gilmore. Oh, babe demures right there. For the Gilmore girls, especially our grandmother, Emily Gilmore basically invented demure.
Speaker 1: I think I think we're all happy that we're out of a brat summer, and I'm glad that that didn't last long and it really didn't take off and land.
Speaker 2: Babe, Brat summer took off and landed, just because you're not on TikTok Man.
Speaker 1: Okay, so bratt didn't really work. I'm hoping demure brat all does.
Speaker 2: You're You're not being bratt right now. Brat worked. I'm heading to experience camps next week and I'm trying to get up. I need to be right because I'm about to go and be a camp counselor for a bunch of kids who I just love. But they're incoming. They're going to be in ninth grade this fall, so I actually I probably should get back on TikTok for a minute and be aware.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting. I was listening to some of your videos from this time last year, and the first the first video from one of the campers said like, hey Barbie, and I immediately took me back to this time a year ago. Barbie was all the rage. Obviously Barbenheimer and Oppen, but really for you at camp, it was all about Barbie and camps.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's funny how twelve months can change such a cultural shift.
Speaker 2: Last year felt so obvious Barbie, Barbenheimer. That was the thing. I'm my guess is the summer is going to be Chapel Roone. It's going to be brat summer. I don't know about Dead Poll and Wolf. It's rated R. I don't know how many of the kids have seen that, and.
Speaker 1: It's kind of dudish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. But there wasn't like a really big girls movie this summer the way Barbie was last.
Speaker 1: Taylor Swift, has that been happening too much to continue?
Speaker 2: Oh no, No, we're still on the airs because she's worldwide with it right now.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know it's still going I just meant like, is that still a thing that will lead in like, is everyone still get when you think about.
Speaker 2: It, how impressive is that Taylor Swift in the Airs Tour have dominated the zeitgeist for basically one full year because I think the Airs Tour launched last summer.
Speaker 1: That's true when you think of this day and age of the quick, just.
Speaker 2: Did it launch even before then? I got to look that up.
Speaker 1: You know, ten seconds in the news cycle. And we move on to the next thing. The fact that she has been so good about creating story, drawing out story, and keeping it.
Speaker 2: Going March twenty twenty three, so well over a year at this point.
Speaker 1: How much too in the you know, the Travis Kelcey of it all helps because that lasts for sure last all football season, right, and so that goes so every every weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, And where'd you say something scary the other day, which was that you were watching a Cowboys game as football already started.
Speaker 1: It has well essentially, so football preseason is going on right now. The regular season starts coming up in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: You know what I don't want to hear from another person, and I'm going to put you into this. The other day, I said to you I took my first Home Goods fall trip. Now here's what I like to do to start to get into the mood the festivities of fall. The first place I go as Home Goods because they have the fall decorations. You're getting in the vibe. I start my re listen, my annual re listen of the Harry Potter audiobooks as narrated by Jim Dale himself. And I came home and said to you, do we put up the Halloween decorations today? And you said, no, it's too soon. So why is it too soon to put up the fall decks? But it's not too soon to start football?
Speaker 1: I see your point, thank you, And I would say we're both wrong. Football should not be starting yet. Although the first real game September fifth is Taylor Swift Chiefs versus Edgar Allan Poe's Ravens.
Speaker 2: Actually, okay, you know what. I actually like that we can be on the same page for this then, because you had said let's put the decorations up after labor maybe, and September fifth is right after Labor Day, So right after Labor Day we'll put up the Halloween decoration.
Speaker 1: Your white shoes away, and then.
Speaker 2: We will also, well, you will watch a football game.
Speaker 1: Yeah we have football, so September fifth, but yeah, the kid. And it's really weird for us because usually this is back to school week. Our friends are moving their kids into colleges and kids are starting to go back to high school. I think Westlake in the Greater Austin area just started this week or if not, starts tomorrow. But we don't have a child to take back to school because our daughter, Tay, they're already moving into her house for the school year, and so there's no moment for us. There's no I realize we're missing the goodbye this this year. I talked to her on the phone today and it's like, oh, I'm back at school, and it's just it's just happening. She's she's already there.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, without us thinking about it, because Taylor will be in this house next year as well. Probably wait, without us thinking about it, we have no more moving kids back to.
Speaker 1: Say, I serve this. The next thing we're doing is moving her out senior year of college.
Speaker 2: All right, here's the only thing I'm going to say. Because I'm usually a bright side half glassful person, I understand the emotion of it. But oh yeah, no, thank god, we don't have to move a kid back in one hundred and ten degree Texas weather, especially in college, when it's we're like hauling stuff from the car. You know, it's not like just we're dropping you off.
Speaker 1: It's you're making five runs to target.
Speaker 2: Oh lordy.
Speaker 1: But it's yeah, it's just weird. And so good luck to everybody who's taking their kids to school or going to school for the first time. We have a friend who has a kindergartener who's heading to school for the first time. So big moves, big moments. It's a big couple of weeks. It is again talk about early. It is way too early to be doing this in early August as everyone's heading back to school. But that is how it's going to be.
Speaker 2: I want to ask everybody out there, are you a planner? Are you the planner in your relationship? And do you think that in each relationship there's one partner who's the planner and one partner who's the not. Now, babe, which one are you?
Speaker 1: I'm the not?
Speaker 2: You're the not? Absolutely, you're not.
Speaker 1: I'll go stuff further. Does anybody as soon as you make plans does that person immediately stop everything and that takes over their life until that is over. Like most people that are on the other side of this coin myself, you'd like, oh, let's go to Dallas that weekend. Okay, cool? Or how about we take a trip to wherever and you can just kind of talk about it, maybe just kind of marinate on it, you know, think about it, talk about it. Then eventually you get to the planning stage of actually doing it. No, this the planning person, which is you and our relationship. As soon as we say it, I'm doing it. Everybody's lives are now about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, stop what you're doing. I've pulled up six flight options. Let's review them. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing about me. Maybe it's case dependent. Sometimes it's great that I went and got it done. Sometimes it's oh, maybe I should have waited a minute, kind of thought about that more before I dove right in. I tend to fire off text messages really quickly. I don't think that that immediate communication being available is a good thing for someone with this trait, meaning myself, because I can fire off a text and I'm stressing other people out in their lives. But yeah, I'm the planner, and I tend to get stuff done right away when I want it done. But I think, you know, the good thing is, like I thought about the is talking about fall and all that, we kind of tend to have what we call these calendar meetings where we're going to sit down and go over our schedule for the next couple months, which I highly recommend in any relationship. It's probably something you more so do at work, like let's look at the quarter ahead, but I think it's great to do it in a relationship. Let's sit down, go over our calendar, see what we have coming up, especially.
Speaker 1: If you have kids. Yes, great thing. Go over all the soccer games, football games. It can.
Speaker 2: It helps you get out of the chaos of life. And I remember reading more importantly reading this study that shows that we are all happier when we have something to look forward to. That that kind of helps you get through the mundane daily stuff. If you think I've got a trip ahead, I'm going to Europe. I've got Disneyland ahead. So when we have these calendar meetings, I like to look at it and go, hey, we got a couple free days over here? Do we want to go on a trip somewhere? And I also, as I always say, you know know that myself. You got to know how much do I like to be booked or not? I tend to like to be overbooked versus underbooked. I like to be busier versus like a relaxing.
Speaker 1: Person having something to do, something to look forward to. I think in life, whether it's a trip, a moment, a thing is great. It's a it's a very mentally healthy thing to do. It's a wonderful thing to have.
Speaker 2: So we were doing our meeting and looking forward and I said, hey, we got a free weekend here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to go to Portugal.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Portugal. I also think it's healthy to have a running sort of bucket list of places you and your spouse want to go to, because then that we do and when you find then it's ready to go. When you find, oh we have some free time, you're not like, well where should we go? In my head, I go to our bucket list, and and then I look at is this place? Which places on the bucket list are good weather wise at this free time that we had, And what's.
Speaker 1: Maybe geographically desirable to where you are, and it all worked out.
Speaker 2: So we are going to Portugal in the fall, and I'm super excited checking out the Duro wine region there. I've heard amazing things. Some members of my family have gone and loved it, and it's been on your list for a while. Yes, because would you ever go to Portugal with the show?
Speaker 1: We did. Yeah. We shot Ali Fedotowski season of Bachelorette there in Lisbon, and then we went to the botanical garden island of Madera, which is known for two things. Christiano Ronaldo, actually three things. Christiano Ronaldo his airport, which they put the ugliest bust ever created of somebody in front of the airport of Christiana Ronaldo. You can look this up, look at statue. Yes, look up the Rinaldo bust at the airport. And Madera the other thing it's known for. There not only just beautiful botanical island that you can walk and it's it's wonderful, but it is one of, if not the scariest, most dangerous airports to land in in the world because you land on a suspension bridge because there's not enough flat land to get jets in. They built an extension that is a bridge. You're just think of the runway, which normally you're not going to fall off of, but if you do at this airport, you will fall hundreds of feet into the ocean. And that's ballgame.
Speaker 2: So does that happen? Oh my gosh, I just looked up the bust.
Speaker 1: Soon didn't look anything like him.
Speaker 2: It looks sort of deformed.
Speaker 1: If I'm not mistaken, I think they fixed they replaced it.
Speaker 2: It was so statue, it was so appalling.
Speaker 1: So Christian Ronaldo arguably the greatest, you know, soccer player of our generation. And look, yeah, I mean stunningly handsome. I would say it's Leonel Messi, but Rinaldo's up there for sure.
Speaker 2: Wait, best player, better looking, the best player.
Speaker 1: He is not a good looking man.
Speaker 2: He is, but Christian is more handsome.
Speaker 1: He's small.
Speaker 2: Soccer players send to be good looking. That's why I'm married to.
Speaker 1: Rinaldo is a very good looking man. The nineteen pack abs doesn't hurt. But yeah, so they gave him the bus. They have. They've since changed it and the new one's better. But look up, go google the Christian Ronaldo bust and you'll see.
Speaker 2: The old West looks like a cartoon character. Who you know when a cartoon character gets like smashed in the face with a skillet and they kind of got long and then come back. That's what this looks like. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And then your next google google the Madeira landing strip. You know that might be sexual and dangerous on Google Madeira Airport. Just google Madeira Airport, pull up videos. Don't google landing strip and pull up videos. God knows what you'll get.
Speaker 2: How was Lisbon?
Speaker 1: Lisbon was a very you know what I love. I think most people go to Italy, then they go to Spain, and I think the forgotten step child of Europe is Portugal. It's a great country, wonderful people where you kind of get the best of Spain, the best of it all the best things of Europe, all on the ocean in Portugal's It really is a wonderful country. But I am a huge fan of their wine region up there in Duro, and I've never been. And so another thing we like to do is do things together for the first time. So we're gonna go up to the north of Portugal and.
Speaker 2: I recommend to have your calendar meeting. Let your planner spouse do their plant or plant or partner do their thing, and put a trip on your calendar to look forward to if you're able, even if it's just a couple of days.
Speaker 1: You know, that season. I was just thinking, Alie, she really won. She won. Like we went to Iceland.
Speaker 2: Oh you mean in terms of location.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were in Portugal. We ended up in Bora, Bora.
Speaker 2: Who do you think overall lost? Which lead had the worst?
Speaker 1: Oh? There were some bad ones. I mean early on doesn't doesn't count. I mean no, I mean ones you really started tripping? Yeah, because I was like, I mean you think of like Trista, poor Trista, Like did she get thirty million plus viewers? And I think our big trip was well, we went to Vegas, San Francisco and then I think the huge, huge trip and it was like a two night trip. They went to Hawaiian back and that was it. We didn't travel overseas. Then we would take real quick day trips because everything was shot at the manchest, you know what.
Speaker 2: It probably just it still seemed really cool.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 2: People travel so much more now, I mean the Internet and social media has given everybody access to see so much more of the world. In the palm of their hands. So people travel more last year there I think there was more air travel in the world than ever before because now everybody's like, oh, I can access the infot all these places I want to go.
Speaker 1: But that was one of the best, if not the best, because we were all over Europe and then we ended up in Bora Bora and that was just insane. All right, Well, but that the volcano erupted in Iceland, which was wild, which we escaped, but then it actually caused our delay in Bora Bora halfway around the world because the plane that came to get us went through Europe and got so much ash they had to take the entire plane apart clean it before we could fly out of Bora Bora. So Bizar is that.
Speaker 2: Uh didn't even know they could do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so there you go. But yeah, so Portugal in speaking of Europe and speaking of Paris, the Olympics came to a close. So now we have to all find things to do during the day. We all have nothing to do, okay.
Speaker 2: I also think there was probably one partner in each relationship who was watching the Olympics more than the other. And you were definitely more dialed in than I was.
Speaker 1: You look by the way you were right. Do you remember on our last podcast you said it feels like the women dominated. Yes, you're right. Sixty five percent of the United States medals came from the ladies. Let's go, and most of those I think came from our gymnastics team. But we might lose one.
Speaker 2: I know, the Jordan Child's Pardner French.
Speaker 1: But this bullsh, really it is bullsh Tell me why?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Jordan Chiles and Simone Biles. Biles got the gold in the floor Exercise Supple and Jordan Childs got the bronze. Then later there was a controversy on how high you know, how you set your technical score as to how what you're going to do, how difficult is your routine? The difficulty sets the stage. So like Simone Biles starts at like a nine thousand, the rest of us started at ten. And so even if Simone Biles makes a mistakes sometimes you see her step out of bounds and all that, she's still so much better than everybody because her technical difficulty is through the roof, as was Simone Biles most times when she jumped to the roof. But anyway, Jordan Chiles. They didn't start her high enough. The American coaches quickly protested this and everybody corrected it. But now they're saying that the other gymnasts complain and it's going back and forth. This has gone to the Supreme Court of Switzerland. We are arguing this in court in Europe right now, which is pretty crazy. And I don't know where it's going to land, but here's where I think I think it should land. Give them both a bronze medal. We've made and I'm not a big proponent of this. You will not hear me say this because I'm not from the world of everybody wins, everybody gets a medal. But in this scenario, the Olympic Games, the pageantry, it's over. What's the harm in just saying in the history books we couldn't figure this out. You both get a bronze medal. That can happen in sports all the time where they legitimately tie, you know what, Give them both a medal.
Speaker 2: We're okay with this, really, but doesn't that listen I'm asking this as a non sports aware person, but doesn't that open up like a lot of potential in the future for these back and forth arguments. So from my understanding, and I didn't even know this was a thing, but I'm kind of pulling up some stuff now and I'd read a little bit the other day.
Speaker 1: The Romanian gymnast was the other woman.
Speaker 2: So the concern from Team USA was that Jordan had not been at quickly scored on her difficulty level right, And it says that Team USA, I guess you have only one minute to submit an inquiry after a scoring like kind of an argument or to question a scoring at least one minute afterwards, which feels wild, one minute to turn in a document or anyway. Team USA is arguing that they did submit it within that one minute, and if they had submitted it within that one minute, apparently the bronze is Jordan's.
Speaker 1: Right, and we found video evidence of that protest taking place within their correct time.
Speaker 2: But Romania is arguing that we were one minute and four seconds, that we were four seconds over the allotted time to our court.
Speaker 1: We show we have video because they shoot the entire floor and so you see the coach with more than enough time going over there to protest.
Speaker 2: So what bothers me again is a nonsports aware but ultimately it seems like they do feel that Jordan had the better score. Yes, so this is all about whether we were within one minute of submit. Why did we even have to submit the question mark?
Speaker 1: If like right, the judges are the ones that screwed up.
Speaker 2: That's why it feels like Jordan should have the medal, and.
Speaker 1: She should and it's rightfully so. And the you know the Romanians, you know, they one of the their leader boycotted the closing ceremonies and all that. It was a big to do. And I get it because this is a big deal, especially to these countries, and in Romania, very prestigious to be uh meddling in gymnastics. But Jordan Childs is the rightful well.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah. Like for me, if I'm Romania, I wouldn't want the medal in that case. I mean, I'd be like she had the better score.
Speaker 1: Certainly a lot of these countries they get a lot of dough for winning. Oh really well, and it's a big deal. So I hope they strain it out. But honestly, I hope Jordan keeps the keeps the medal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know the only thing I'd say to Jordan is I don't know I've had I can't imagine what it's like to train and be an Olympian, honest obviously, but I've had moments where in my life where I was supposed to get something and then like it didn't happen because of a technicality or another person being driven by you know, I don't know, things were underhanded. And ultimately, when you have some time and space between it and you look back, you think, I'm glad I took the high road there. I'm glad I like and I'm not saying like Jordan isn't taking the highroad, but you know what I mean. It's just ultimately you kind of think if if that person's going to be that shady about it.
Speaker 1: Like I don't, Yeah, she's getting hammered on social media. She's had to step off of social media, so it's Ordan, Yeah, why is she getting hammered because the just fighting back and forth, and I'm sure internationally she's I'm sure she's not getting hammered by Ewan in America, but I'm sure internationally she is. And so it's it is unfortunate because like you said, they lay their heart and soul on the line for all this, and this is what it turns out to. And now you're you. You went to something that's glorious and beautiful and it's all about sport, and now you're in a Swiss courtroom fighting for a bronze medal.
Speaker 2: The we're all gonna remember, Jordan, how incredible you were with Team Usay, like, I don't even know if I would have known the bronze. I just know while you were on tmosaying you guys killed it.
Speaker 1: The closing ceremonies. Yes, I thought it was a good ceremony. I will admit it is uh lengthy, It is lethargic, It is a little borings. God bless us. So this is funny because God bless Mike Tico, who has to host this. He was hosting with Jimmy Fallon. Jimmy Fallon funny Guy, does his late night show and all that good stuff. Jimmy Fallon not probably well versed at hosting a big, lengthy event like this. Turco was really doing some heavy lifting. Jimmy Fallon would pipe in with sometimes of like this is neat.
Speaker 2: Jimmy not giving a lot. Yeah, I could hear him and he'd say, literally, you'd hear Jimmy go wow, wow, or that's cool. It's like, Jimmy, we got to add more, man, we can't. I mean the people at home are adding more.
Speaker 1: Is I think what happens in these moments is as an executive, you're like, let's get you know, like in the in the opening.
Speaker 2: Ceremonies energy personality, they had Clark Clarkson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was like, Okay, good idea, but we really need some people that can fill time about sports and these athletes in these countries and uh, that was not Jimmy Fallon and so as as bad as Mike Jerico, and they had it in the opening ceremonies. It was twice as bad, poor guy, but it still came off. And have Fallon as a funny sidekick as the you know, have your sportscasters, have the people that are legitimately good at this, and then have Fallon give some comedic relief. Don't have them actually try to cope.
Speaker 2: Like it's like he's like calling the event that was not I'll be honest. I again, we know I don't love sports, but in these situations, I want the experts. I mean, it's kind of like when Ellen DeGeneres was a judge on American Idol, What we what do we? What are we doing here? I mean, she's Allen and she can be funny, but I want to hear somebody address whether that person has a good voice.
Speaker 1: And I get where executives are thinking, oh, this would be great and the synergy and the funny and because you're trying to it's not exactly there's no sports going on, but you realize in those moments when Trico was Mike Rico was so professional and so good and he's pretty funny, you know, and can and the noise and the gnat sound the pictures kind of explain a lot of what we want to see anyway.
Speaker 2: And here, well, I actually think you needed someone with sports knowledge more than any other time in that moment because there wasn't a lot going on. Jimmy Fallon probably would have been funnier and better at like watching a synchronized swimming event and going, how are they doing that underwater? He could have been the voice of the people in this case. You needed someone to be applying some information because everybody was just walking around and I was watching, going, oh, I wish someone was telling me who each of these athletes are and what they accomplished, which Mike Trica was definitely trying to do, and Jimmy did not have all the people memorized, which I don't blame him for.
Speaker 1: They had a great idea in theory with the Katie Ledecki, the greatest swimmer US swimmer, female swimmer.
Speaker 2: I think she's the most awarded female athlete ever now, just unbelievable America. They miked her up, which was awesome because she was our flag bearer along with one of the rowing guys. That meant they got the Olympic gold medal for rowing. But they they didn't think about the music and everything on the floor, so you just couldn't hear anything. I know. Poor Katie. She kept going, sorry, guys, I can't hear you, and I can't hear you.
Speaker 1: So we were all excited about the stunt. They had talked about Tom Cruise because there was the big handoff of the Olympics are obviously leaving Paris next up LA twenty twenty eight, so the handoff to Hollywood, and a part of this was the big stunt with Tom Cruise that had been teased and teased. When you saw what he did, what did you think was it worth all the hype?
Speaker 2: Incredibly disappointing, incredibly On the one hand, I think he jumped off like the roof and into the crowd, which seems probably pretty dangerous, Like you have to be pretty skilled and unafraid. So good job, Tom, But sometimes things that are very difficult still don't film well and still don't come across well on camera good Like it just looked like he was slowly floating down on a string, you know what I mean. It didn't have the visual pal pow, like we needed some fireworks or some drones. It just visually wasn't giving that much. And I hate to say it because I have all the respect, look however you feel about like scientology or whatever, when you're just talking about Tom Cruise's career. I have all the respect for the career he's built, for the love he has for cinema, for the talent that he has. But I don't think it was the best light and the best camera to film Tom in. I think it was harsh. I think we saw very different Tom and Top Gun two through the filters and the lenses being used and CG. It's still very look, very cool that he can do it, but I just thought, this isn't reading that cool on camera. It got cooler when he jumped on the motorcycle and then they drove it to LA. What did you think.
Speaker 1: If you're a sports fan, I've seen mascots, so people in a dog or cat outfit. You know what those mascot is a cat. Every everybody's everything's a cat wildcat, but he's a dog. So I've seen mascots do the same trick in a full mascot and then dunk of basketball.
Speaker 2: So oh, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: But I agree. When you watch Mission Impossible, a lot of effects, a lot of green screen, a lot of things are added to make it look like he's flying off this mountain and how he actually did do that stunt, but how spectacular it all looks. So when you do it in real life, a lot of things don't translate. As you said, Tom Cruise is sixty two years old. Wow, so ball or move by the way that he looks as good as he does at sixty two.
Speaker 2: And that he's as athletically fa and athletics.
Speaker 1: The dude looks great for sixty two, but he's starting to you know, Tommy's aging. He's sixty two.
Speaker 2: Fine, is great, it's normal. I also think I couldn't help. But remember that not that long ago, Lady Gaga did a very similar stunt at the Super Bowl. Remember she kind of they had actually filmed it in advance. I guess with Tommy did it live, which is cooler, but she like jumped off the top and then landed and sang.
Speaker 1: Pink does an entire concert You're right, You're so right.
Speaker 2: Pink is just flipping through the air. So yeah, I thought we needed a little more to it, like could we have involved the Olympic torch and fire in some way? It needed to be feel bigger, especially to be honest, I hate to say it, but it's because tom has set the threshold so high for himself. In the Last Mission Impossible movie, as you just mentioned, he'd be himself jumped roady motorcycle off a cliff into the air. So when you're jumping down and we all see the line you're on, it just didn't feels cool.
Speaker 1: I think here's what I would have pitched. Number one, Let's not promote the stunt. Let's make it a surprise.
Speaker 2: Surprise surprise, he sings.
Speaker 1: The national anthem because we officially kick off the throw to Hollywood in the United States hosting the Olympics. So her h comes out and sings the national anthem, and then she kind of gave a couple of riffs on the guitar of Mission Impossible. I wish they had leaned into that a little bit more, yes, and then boom, reveal Tom Cruise is on the roof. We are giving the and he comes down, and it's just a big surprise. I think if we had been caught off guard and not promoted the stunt. And when you hear stunt and Tom Cruise, you're thinking, we're gonna blow the stadium up and he's going to jump over the Eiffel Tower and save the world. We're used to this, so I think if it had been a bit of a surprise, But I agree the whole hand off to the United States was pretty awesome. They did a very good job of generating excitement and then creating the California feel. Tom Cruise, you know, took it, gone on the plane, you know, jumped into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and took the Olympic flag, got on a motorcycle, then rode on a plane. Obviously they'd pre filmed this. Then lands in the Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Hills skydiving into the Hollywood I thought.
Speaker 2: It was very cool that they took the Hollywood sign and made it into the Olympic symbol with the Olympic rings and the rings that was that was cute. And then taking it to the beach where they had the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Billie Eilish and Snoop Dogg performing. I loved the performances. I love the feeling. It felt very like MTV Beach House to me, like very nineties MTV in a way.
Speaker 1: It was very well produced, like very California. Very It was kind of what they tried to do at the Super Bowl at Sofi Stadium when La hosted of doing all the iconic hip hop artists from California and it just the way it was shod just didn't kind of translate very well. This did. This was very Californian. But can we just burst the bubble of those that may be traveling to California for the Olympics and are looking for that beach. That beach does not exist.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was not I think they were trying to make it seem like it was Santa Monica and Prisoner're watching it going this is I don't know where they're filming this. They might have filmed it in Long Beach.
Speaker 1: It was in Long Beach.
Speaker 2: I can see the tankers in the background. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They also added some things called palm trees.
Speaker 2: For sure, Like beaches in California don't just have palm trees sprouting up in the middle of the sand. They're all kind of way back, So they added palm trees. They definitely an actor seated around the palm trees because for some reason they were looking at the ocean instead of looking behind you where Billie Eilish was performing.
Speaker 1: Also call it corrected the water. If you're expecting if you're to see blue water when you come here.
Speaker 2: Don't They had like cute little boats anchored off the shore. That's never the case.
Speaker 1: The art department did a great job because so all that stuff is the art department. They give him the set, and they really did a brilliant job. We used to do this on the show because water is very just without It's kind of like the sky. If you don't have clouds, there's no depth perception. So they did a good job with the boats and the tree.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have to add items in so that it kind of it has scope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it gives you the depth.
Speaker 2: I love watching this stuff with you because you always have your big I mean the thing is The Bachelor is big production, and so you are. You always have that insight of And look, I give it up to them because here's another thing we can sit here and critique. They're making all this stuff look way easier than it is. It is not easy to have Tom Cruise dive off this top of this stadium and then have the camera be ready and right there to get him and make it all feel cool and natural. And how about the lady who grabbed Tom Cruise and kissed him by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I didn't know what country that was from, but yes, she really makes this. She really took her moments.
Speaker 2: And good for Tom, he just took it.
Speaker 1: But his look was like yeah, for two steps his eyes were like oh, but good.
Speaker 2: Good for Tom. He took it on. I mean, granted the camera was on him, but it wasn't like I saw that moment of it's a little of salty. Well, I saw it right, And if it had been a man doing that to a woman, it would not have come off well. But I saw that moment of Lebron James like shooting the kid away.
Speaker 1: Lebron was not very well known as a people person likes, yeah, not very liked by people, and so yeah, he was very rude to a kid who was just trying to get a picture. But and by the way, then you the juxtaposition, you see Steph Curry come out, cigar dancing, runs across the street, starts taking pictures. The Dream Team was an awesome moment. Steph Curry one of the best shooting performances of all time. The only i mean not controversy other than Lebron being rude to the kid, but Joel Embiid, who is one of our stars, but he's also a French star. He's actually also an African star. So born in Africa, got a citizenship in France, and everybody was thinking he's one of the best basketball players in the world. And everyone's thinking, oh, in two years he's going to play for France. He also lives in America and plays NBA basketball in America. So essentially what happens is when you're watching the Olympics and these people are from these countries, they're not actually living or even technically from these countries. They just have to have citizenship at a certain time to partake. For example, the pole vault kid from Sweden who won the gold medal, he lives and goes to school at LSU. His parents are coaches at LSU. He's very American. If you hear him, he speaks kind of like a Cajun redneck. So anyway, a lot of French people were excited that Joel Embiid was going to play for France and help them win a medal. He played for America and won the gold medal with US.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you don't have to be like a born here citizen to be on our Olympic team. You just I didn't know that so, or even a citizen. You just have to have a passport.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you're if you're a past if you get a passport, you are not. No, you have to be a citizen of a country. Well, sorry, I don't mean that. I just mean like, you have to be a citizen of that country play in the Olympics. And so what happens a lot of times is kids will come to the United States and it's very competitive and very difficult to make our Olympic team. So what you'll see sometimes.
Speaker 2: A lot of Texans, by the way, shout out to Texans.
Speaker 1: We were like midway through the list of the.
Speaker 2: Most all right, so it's very difficult.
Speaker 1: It's very difficult to make our Olympic team. So sometimes what you'll do is you'll go represent your other country because it's easier to make the track team in Italy or Serbia or something like that, and so you can then go to the Olympics.
Speaker 2: One thing that just interviewing people for a long time and seeing people who had career longevity or not. I mean, look, if you're incredibly talented and if you kiss the rings of the right people, you'll maintain a career. But I would always recommend to be like, be good to the fans, be good to the fans, and don't turn your back on the thing that made you. Like I always give a shout out to the kids who were in Harry Potter because they never they lean into the Harry Potter fandom. There were some people like in the Twilight World who didn't lean into the Twilight fandom that didn't do well for them. But anyway, real quick, I want to add on with the la the passing of the torch. I also thought great selections on the musicians, all from California representing different genres. We had I would I guess I had called Billie Eilish pop rock with the Chili Peppers, hip hop and rap with Snoop and Dre, and it was so cool and Drake and so and I always learned this lesson in performing, good things come in threes. So it was it was like Chili Peppers, then Billy, then Snoop and Dre and that's literally, it's literally a recommendation for how to put on a good show is things in threes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're not sporty sports, let me run some things by you. Oh god, there are sports leaving us. Will not be back in the Olympics. I'm so sorry for those that follow me on social media. Break dancing not coming back one and done.
Speaker 2: Really one and done. It's not going to be for everyone. I don't think that's smart on their part because it was such a viral moment.
Speaker 1: You should lean into the weird, Okay, but let me give me a thumbs up thumbs down on these are.
Speaker 2: These why did they mixt break dancing?
Speaker 1: Well? So they are? There are sports and they I forget what they call them. It's like trial sports or whatever, and they bring them in to see if they were I.
Speaker 2: Get it, But why did they next break dancing?
Speaker 1: They felt like it just didn't work very much.
Speaker 2: It was one of the most viral moments if you missed it with ray Gun Okay, whether she was faking that or if she just was that mediocre, it's unclear.
Speaker 1: These are sports that are coming to LA and twenty twenty eight. These are real.
Speaker 2: So these were trial sports that are coming back. Some of them are the very first.
Speaker 1: These are coming for the very first time. Flag football is making its debut. No, I agree.
Speaker 2: Now, that is a game you play in recess and a camp and a gym and school.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing, and I don't I don't want to be poopoo on America, but no one will. We'll beat us in American flag football. That's just that's it's our sport, and no one's going to If we allow NFL guys or even good college players, We're going it's like the Dream Team back in the early nineties. We're just going to dominate. Maybe Canada is close, but other than that, nobody plays American football like we do. That's kind of silly. It's it's not it's not international.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. Break dancing I was more okay with because it's almost like I could liken it to gymnastics in terms of I think there's some athletic ability and like, you know, I get that there.
Speaker 1: It's international too, like it was the world was football.
Speaker 2: You're right, it's so American, and it just also seems like, I don't know, that's my instinct. I'm okay sing.
Speaker 1: It must be nineteen seventy four again, because squash is going to be making a racket.
Speaker 2: I can't picture what squashes.
Speaker 1: Squashes like racketball, but you're using a badminton racket and you're hitting it against there.
Speaker 2: There are just too many sports with a tiny ball and a racket and then in like a different crisis.
Speaker 1: So that's that's a football and no on squash. Now, I will say I'm.
Speaker 2: Not saying no to squash. Maybe there are some people who are really into squash. I'm just exhausted by the number. It's like ping pong, table tennis, pickleball, handball, racketball, so there's a sports tennis. I'm just exacted.
Speaker 1: It has been gone for one hundred and twenty eight years. That is coming back and I am a fan of bringing this back. Cricket huge, huge internationally, I know, yeah, I know, it's not massive in America, but internationally, and it's getting bigger in America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, okay, to Australia, you name it.
Speaker 1: Cricket's big. Okay. Baseball and softball are coming back. The two sports had a kind of turbulent on again, off again relationship with the Olympics. Most recently it was in the Tokyo Games. I think, yes, I agree, Baseball, the World Championship of Baseball has got and really big. Softball has gotten very big around the world. I think it's finally time that baseball comes back.
Speaker 2: You know, here's why I think I'm saying no to flag football because it's like the amateur version of football. So why would we have an Olympics for the amateur version of something? Or is it would be having flag football and the Olympics be like just having football period?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is that what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just what's It's just I don't know, it's just.
Speaker 2: Why why isn't it just football?
Speaker 1: Well that's a good, good call, but I don't know. I don't think it's I think it's a bad call. I think it's a bad sport. It's not. Here's the problem. It's not a big professional sport period anywhere in the world. Flag football is not a big deal. It's not a thing. So you are you're making a playground sport.
Speaker 2: Like we're not having flag baseball. We're just having baseball.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing I think that should come and go. The three on three basketball that they did here at the Paris Games not even up for debate, but three and three basketball. We have real basketball. We don't need three back. Okay, last, but certainly not least. This is near and dear to our hearts making a return in twenty twenty eight. Lacrosse, Oh coming to the Olympics, which I love, big, big international sport. Everyone's starting to gain interest in this around the world. Obviously Josh played it weird. Big lacrosse family, So relax, life coming to la in twenty twenty eight. And if I were to go to the Olympic Games, I would go see a lacrosse game. That would be awesome. Yeah, breaking done. Oh and by the way, boxing the most controversial sport this year unfortunately not coming back. Well why which I don't know. I don't know why boxing is not, because that is a huge, huge Olympics.
Speaker 2: It feels like they're nixing the sports that had controversy around them, break dancing and boxing.
Speaker 1: Right, that is exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're just so after that opening ceremony debacle, they're just like, no controversy. We're gonna call this the no controversy Olympics twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, we left LA while construction was already underway. As they get ready for twenty twenty eight, I wish them well. They announced there will be no parking, no transportation in LA. It's all gonna be mass transit. All mass transit in LA. I wish them luck. Pass as LA is not really conducive to mass transit. It's gonna be messy. Oh we should say one more thing about the paras Olympics, because the Olympic village got a lot of press. It always does. By the way. The food's not great, the beds, the this, You're never gonna please everybody. One thing I found very interesting is I found this person on social media that was talking about dating in Paris and that tender and some of these dating apps were off the hook. People went to Paris just to date this good.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, do you mean the Olympians or people?
Speaker 1: Well, this was just a regular, oh citizen. She went to Paris and she's like, oh my god, I'm getting picked up on dates with these gorgeous Olympians. And she put in her profiles very cheeky, like, I am not an athlete. I'm not an Olympia, but I'm here for the gold medal or something.
Speaker 2: Do the Olympians have time to be maybe once there are sport's.
Speaker 1: Over, well before your sport, you know. And some just aren't that crazy where they have weeks to prepare and because it's a two week deal. But also when you're done, you can hang out for.
Speaker 2: When you're done. I get it beforehand, I would think you don't have time to just go on a date with somebody.
Speaker 1: Some of these athletes take it more serious than others, I'll be honest. You know, for those that are like, we are going to win, then there's those that are just you know, like the breakdancer. I'm just happy to be there. But that kind of interesting. She put out this kind of post and she showed the receipts of like the swipe she was getting and some of the guys, and she's like, there were these gorgeous Olympians. And so I'm just saying, think ahead of time. If you're single in twenty twenty eight, head to La, get on the dating apps and see if you can't pick up some Olympic goald.
Speaker 2: Listen, you're definitely heightening the pool of people. You know, You're it's like you're you're not having to expand your region or anything. You're just going where some good looking fit people are.
Speaker 1: Okay, shoot your shot. As they would say in the Olympics. Congratulations to all our beautiful Olympians who came back with medals and those that just represented our country so well. I thought, overall, I give it an a. It was a good, very good Olympics. Not a lot of political controversy. You know, nothing really got that messy overall. It was in this day and age, I think when we can get through something that lasts two weeks and it's actually pretty positive and everybody's excited about their you know, their national anthem and their flag and just being rallying around their country, that is a good thing. And I think it was a nice subtle reminder, maybe even a not so subtle reminder of something very good and how we can all come together. And one thing that is wonderful about the closing sermon is they all come out, you know, in your own delegation, all the Americans, all the you know, the Mexicans and Serbians and you name it, all the countries come out. But then they just kind of start mixing and mingling. And that is the beautiful thing is all these athletes have so much love and respect for each other. They just went through something so extraordinary and now they're just sharing it with each other and trading jerseys and trading pens and taking selfies and it was just this kind of beautiful melting pot. And you know, again, just a good reminder of what sport is good for and what the Olympics is good for.
Speaker 2: And I liked seeing so many of the athletes, you know, I liked the display of pride in our country. I don't know if I'm getting older, if things are getting different, but I've said this many times in this podcast. I am very proud to be from America. I am very grateful to be from America. I think a lot's happening in the world right now where people we just shouldn't take for granted. How blessed we are to be living in this country where we I have freedom of speech and are generally safer than a lot of other places, and we have a lot of rights that a lot of other people don't have. So I love America. I love what America's founded on, and I'm so thankful. And to see on a world stage athletes you know where our colors and hoist the flag and be proud. I think we need to be reminded of that, especially as we head into an election pretty soon here. So thank you to the athletes, yeah for doing America proud. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: It was good to have get those goosebumps for a good reason for a change. Thank you guys so much, all our Olympians the most importantly, all our listeners. We love talking to you and we will do it again next time because we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.