Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is the closing bell on this stock movers report, the company's making moves at the close of US trading with Carol Masser, Tim Stenebeck, Romain Bostick, and Scarlet.
Speaker 3: Food to the S and P five hundred. I go, and you've got most names in the index lower on this Thursday. You're talking about three hundred and eighty three to the downside, one hundred and nineteen to the upside, mat and one unchanged.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one loser or sorry, one winner for every four losers. Essentially, it's even worse if you look at the breadth of industry groups. It was a gainer today because you have that Intel Apple story, which I still find so fascinating. You can do this the hard way, or you can do this the easy way, right.
Speaker 5: May I don't think that's the same story.
Speaker 4: Maybe Apple takes a steak and Intel may may make a lot of other things easier for them.
Speaker 3: We aren't calling it CEO diplomacy.
Speaker 4: Yes, so you see it, and really energy kind of flat. But they are the only green slices.
Speaker 1: Of the podcast on that point. I mean, I heard your interview a little bit earlier today Carol and Tim with Mark German, and of course that covers all things Apple, and you kind of put them on the spot there with some of the questions about Tim Cook. But I thought he kind of made a good point. I mean, look, there's a fiduciary duty that any CEO has to its investors and for that matter, to its employees and its customers. And he's navigating that as he should do right or he shouldn't be CEO.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree. We keep talking about that, right, if you don't really want to get on the radar of the White House or the administration, and you've got to think about your company and you've got to think about the financials or your share price. I mean, right, there is a responsibility, but it's it's just kind of interesting to see how well.
Speaker 4: You've got to want to diversify too, Right, you can't make all of your chips at TSMC all of the time. Why not get another foundry?
Speaker 5: But is they've moved away from Intel in the past and marketing.
Speaker 4: They design them all in the house, but where they design them and where they make them are two very different.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 5: Mark made the point like maybe they could make some of the you know, you know some of the chips that they use in some of the devices. There are so many, But that's not that's not what this is about me.
Speaker 3: Either way, I'm going to say, if you're an Intel shareholder right now, you're pretty happy because you continue to see this stock moving up today. Yes, sir, I know.
Speaker 1: Are you going to get to your gainers? Essentially?
Speaker 3: Well that was my segue. Thanks for like jumping in on it again. All right, Where are where is Katie? The boys? Intel up almost nine percent today's session. It is the top gainer in both the S and P five hundred and NASDAQ one hundred. It was also upgraded and neutral from sell over at Seaport Global. They see your term upside for the chip maker if it receives more direct investments. There you have it, that's pretty clear going forward. And of course we've been talking about the Apple Intel whether or not we get something out of that. Lithium America's guys also an outperformer in a big way, up about twenty three percent after almost a ninety six percent gain yesterday heavy volume in today's trading. Today, white House proposed taking equity in the company during a renegotiation of some terms of a two point three billion dollar loan extended by the Energy Department. Bloomberg News reporting that out. That came out on Tuesday. We've had Reuters reporting that the administration was seeing a stake of as much as ten percent. Nonetheless, it's on everybody's radar. We are living in a very different capitalistic environment, it feels like, certainly with the government potentially taking stakes in various companies. All right, Synopsis got to bring that one out, guys, because that too was a top gainer. But the S and P five hundred now is tack one hundred, up about four percent. Here some reporting the company out with a release that it and Taiwan Semi have been working together to shortened design cycle times on more efficient ship technology. So that caught the attention. So some good gainers.
Speaker 5: There, Well, what caught my time? I say, down some of the decliners in the S and P five hundred. The worst perform on a percentage basis in there was CarMax by a long shot, down to twenty percent. Today. Shares tumbled after the company reported weaker than expected results that showed deepening strain in the used car market. Company executive actually came out and said fallout from President Trump's tariffs and rising to stress among consumers were what led to falling sales and profit. There have been some recent challenges in the auto industry, as Matt is absolutely aware, subprime model lender Tricolor Holdings declared bankruptcy this month amid allegations of fraud. First Brands Group is preparing to file bankruptcy as soon as next week. Bloomberg News reported once again, Chares down twenty percent, the worst performer in the S and P five hundred, Tesla, speaking of automakers, down four point four percent. It was the worst performer of the mag seven today on a percentage basis. Chars fell as European sales of Tesla's fell twenty two percent last month, giving a market share of just one point nine percent. European car sales overall climbed four point seven percent last month. It turns out that EV sales were actually rose in the region last month. Hybrid's though we're a particularly bright spot.
Speaker 4: By the way, that bears repeating that bears repeating, So European car sales rose five percent. Yes, EV sales in Europe rose, and Tesla fell twenty two percent. Yeah, it seems like a Tesla, a challenge particular to Tesla then, and that's why you had shares fault today. Probably finally, Freeport Macmaran, among the worst performers in the S and B five hundred as well, fell another six percent, down six six point two percent today, follow it from the accident at the Grassburg copper Minded Indonesia continues. The accident the MIND killed two workers that left five missing, and it's led Freeport to declare force majure on contracted supplies and slash its production guidance. We spoke to Joe Doe, who covers economic statecraft and for years has covered metals in mining, and he talked to us a little bit about the negotiations between the Indonesian government, which controls fifty one percent of the local entity, and now the concern that the government might want more of that MIND ownership and what that could mean.
Speaker 1: All right, you quick check on yields here up for a second and straight day, up for the third time in the last four sessions. And a big part of the reason is that stronger economic data than now seems to be throwing just a touch of cold water here on the idea of whether the FED actually does have the room to continue cutting rates beyond that first twenty five basis points that we already got. I do want to go back up to the stock market though, and some of the individual movers. One of the decliners you didn't have on your board there, Tim Stenevik, Oh, targeting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I knew we were talking about this, so I didn't want to do it as one of the decliners' wilgreaming. Sometimes you got to think about this. That was the seguay for.
Speaker 2: You, Carol.
Speaker 1: You still haven't picked up.
Speaker 5: It was also barely down today it's done like half a percentage point too.
Speaker 4: So is she going to talk about She's going to talk.
Speaker 5: She's trying to get a word in box to do it. We're not here. Go ahead, Carol, let's.
Speaker 3: Talk about Starbucks. I was going to put this in the category. I mean, you have Starbucks closing about one percent of its stores in the United States and Knada cutting nine hundred jobs. It's all part of its turnaround plan, and investure is like not that impressed. It stocks down. It was up about about half a percent of its best levels of the session today, finishing with about a decline of about.
Speaker 1: It to try to check people up, Matt Miller, and sometimes they just don't tell.
Speaker 4: Don't know.
Speaker 1: If you have this problem, you will host to show yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you have to do this.
Speaker 4: I think it's an exciting story regardless of the sharing, because look, they're firing nine hundred workers. They're closing only one percent of eighteen thousand stores. But a lot of people have been coming out this morning and saying this is the right track, and maybe this is what they needed to do from the start, right Brian Nichol has been in office for over a year, and since then the stock has fallen six percent, Like, why didn't he do this earlier? Why didn't he maybe cut a little bit deeper? They just have too many stores and they're not as exciting as they used to be, so that they need to spruce it up.
Speaker 5: Is one percent and nine hundred workers going to do anything. And look, I know these are corporate workers and every job lost is terrible, but three hundred and sixty thousand employees is what the company has globally, So this is not a This is a small This is a small figure when you think about those numbers.
Speaker 2: My point the stockmovers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street, and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.