Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We made it to the final hour on this Tuesday NBA Draft coming up tonight. We'll talk to the commissioner here. In a moment, the Heat made it official, acquiring Yannis and the Bucks, get Tyler Hero, three first round picks and some other players going to the Bucks. We got World Cup today and tonight Portugal, Uzbekistan, England, Ghana, Panama, Croatia, Columbia, Congo. D R say good morning those watching on Peacock, our streaming partner of the NBC Sports Network. We say good morning to our radio affiliates as well around the country. Let's bring in the commissioner, Adam Silver. Always good to see you again. Thank you for showing up being punctual as always. What did you think of the trade with Yannis last night?
Speaker 3: I was interesting.
Speaker 4: There have been discussions around Jannis getting moved for a while now. Yeah, obviously had a great run in Milwaukee, and you know, people had predicted under this new system with the second Apron, that we wouldn't have player movement. Certain amount of player movements good, you know, creates renewed energy and hope and markets. I think even in Milwaukee. There was a sense there that it was time to rebuild. You know, a lot of excitement around Giannis going to Miami.
Speaker 3: So at least for early reports are it's positive.
Speaker 2: How involved are you in the final process with that trade.
Speaker 3: Not at all.
Speaker 4: The only thing that happens from a league office standpoint is there's an official trade call where you have to match up rosters and caps for you know, CBA purposes there you know, physicals that get administered. But you know, I think people get confused sometimes as to whether we approve trades meeting we think it's a good trade, that that's not our role. It's only to make sure that the mechanics fit under the CBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I always go back to Commissioner Stern with the Chris Paul trade that he betoed.
Speaker 3: Well, that issue always comes up.
Speaker 4: But you may remember at the time, David was in essence the acting owner of New Orleans and so I know there was enormous confusion around that, but he vetoed that trade that was brought to him by the THENGM as wearing the hat of the owner of the team. And it was why when we ran the Clippers, when I ran early on as commissioner having learned my lesson. There was a guy named Dick Parsons who was the interim governor, and I said, Dick, you're in charge of that team. Other than the league playing its role as it would with any trade, I have no say over what basketball decisions will be made for the organization.
Speaker 3: So lesson learned there.
Speaker 4: But again he David was in essence acting as owner of the team, not as commissioner.
Speaker 2: Where do we stand with the Clippers? Since you mentioned that with sort of off the court stuff with the owner and Kawhi Leonard.
Speaker 4: Investigation is still ongoing. The law firm down the street from our office in New York walked Out is overseeing the investigation, and I know they're hoping to wrap it up this summer.
Speaker 2: But this I don't know if it affects oh, so it has to be later this summer. I didn't know if it would affect draft picks or anything going into this draft tonight.
Speaker 4: Certainly nothing affecting tonight, but beyond that, you know no decisions have been made.
Speaker 2: Help me understand the importance if I was going to look at a New York team winning a title in baseball, football, basketball. Where would you put the importance of New York winning that title in basketball over say the Giants or the Yankees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll say really answering as a New Yorker that I think this championship was unique because of the fifty three year gap before they last won a championship. You know, I grew up a Yankee fan. The Yankees have had so much success in New York. It's a huge deal when they win a World Series. But I think again because so much pent up, you know, just fandom around this Nick team and desire to see a championship again. Also, Madison Square Garden, as you know, you know, located in you know, the heart of Manhattan. I always think of basketball as a city sport, so it seemed to take on this unique attention here. I will say again being in this market. I mean, over two million people took to the streets for the parade, and it just it felt like it brought people together like nothing else in recent history. It just there were viewing parties everywhere, walking to work, just being out on the streets in my neighborhood. You saw Nick merchandise virtually on everyone, all the store windows, et cetera. So you know, it's it was just amazing. I think this to see what this championship meant to New York right.
Speaker 2: Now, Your first NBA game was a Knicks game?
Speaker 4: Definitely yeah. As a kid, no, no question. My probably my my first, you know, thirty games. I mean, you know, when I was a kid, we didn't travel to NBA games. So I think I grew up to the extent I was able to go to games, it was exclusively going to Knicks games.
Speaker 2: You of course have to host the draft tonight. Can you look back now? Does everybody get together and help me understand when you're preparing for announcing these names, how does that work where you need to learn how to pronounce those who might be drafted?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, in terms of everyone getting together, actually right after this interview, across the street from a Rockefeller Center and there's a luncheon for all the lottery picks and their families and friends. Some of them bring their coaches, high school coaches. It's a really cool event and Andre Guidala, head of the Players Association, will speak to them. I will as well, but it's really an opportunity to welcome them to the NBA family and opportunity for the player Association talk to them a little bit about joining this unique attorney.
Speaker 3: I'm always amazed.
Speaker 4: I think we're up to about five thousand players in the history of.
Speaker 3: This league have been in the NBA.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's quite an amazingly small number considering the history of this league, and it's sort of a welcome So that happens today, just you know, an hour from now. In terms of pronunciations, we've sort of learned our lessons. So what we do now, for example, at the Chicago Combine, we actually we ask every player to to look into a camera and say his name the way he wants it said, because in some cases, what has become the pronunciation of the name in college or from wherever else isn't necessarily the way they want it said. Uh, you know AJ de Bonsea, for example, I was with him and his dad, and his father's name is a Nisse, and he AJ is a junior, and they both said to me, we want we want you to say whatever number he's picked to say on Niss de bon Set instead of AJ. I think he's still going to go by AJ. But you know, like that's that's an example. But you know we we also then they folks in the league office right out for me fanatically. I'm sure when you pronounce the names on air, it was the same, and they're the best I.
Speaker 2: Can Was there ever a name where you got tripped up or we're nervous about getting tripped up?
Speaker 4: I think Giannis is in the news. I remember practicing that one a few times. I think when you look at the spelling, you only got.
Speaker 3: That much more confused.
Speaker 4: You just have to say, you know, put it aside, so yes.
Speaker 2: Or when and Yama as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, then then we just go by wemby going forward.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that one too busier in the off season or during the season.
Speaker 4: Definitely during the season, just because there's things that come up every day, you know, with games every day every night, there's always something that that needs the league offices attention. But pretty busy offseason, I mean different addition, we also collectively oversee the WNBA with my WNBA colleague, so that keeps us pretty busy. But we are summer league coming up right around the corner. After the draft. We're looking at potential expansion to Las Vegas and Seattle. We're looking at potentially creating a League in Europe, so I'll do a fair amount of traveling in the off season as well, but I'll get some time in there as well, so it's a little bit more relaxed.
Speaker 2: We look in at twenty twenty eight, Seattle and Vegas still the leading candidates for expansion, and if so, Memphis or Minnesota going to the Eastern Conference does that sound fair?
Speaker 4: So if we expand at least we're thinking eight twenty nine season. The only two cities at the moment we're looking at our las Vegas and Seattle. We haven't had a vote on it, and it's not a foregone conclusion, but we're in the process of talking to groups that are interested in getting an expansion team in those two cities. And then yes, and then well, if we do add two teams, we'll want to likely even out the conferences, so there will be some movement then.
Speaker 2: But you're looking at two teams, not either Seattle or Vegas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're currently looking at two teams.
Speaker 4: But what we've said is it's possible we won't expand at all, and we could expand to just one market, but we're officially looking at both those markets right now.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to the commissioner, Adam Silver NBA Draft coming up tonight. I think we've gone what eight years with a different champion. I think we've gone eight years with a non US born player winning MVP. Which trend would you like to continue as commissioner if you could pick between those two, you.
Speaker 3: Know, honestly, neither one.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's interesting that you've had so many international players as MVPs.
Speaker 3: I mean, we just talked about Giannis.
Speaker 4: And also it's interesting on draft night as a reminder, fifteenth pick in the draft, not the first pick, not a top five pick, but the fifteenth. So it shows how deep the town is in this and the majority of our players are still American.
Speaker 3: It's roughly seventy percent of the league are Americans.
Speaker 4: So you know, I think, if anything, that rash of international MVPs has got the attention of youth development in the US and the programs or whether that's just happenstance or there's a better job we all need to do collectively, No question, is enormous talent coming out of the US. This current draft is an example, and I think on the eight different champions in eight years, that wasn't our goal per se. The goal over time has been, you know, I've said it to be more NFL like where you believe your team has a shot. You know it maybe not every single season, but your view is regardless of the market size, if your team is well managed, if you have a little bit of luck in there, that you have a good chance to be in the playoffs and potentially be the champion. And so I think what we've seen is societal changes. I think that nobody's going to say that Victor Wembenyama in San Antonio can't get global attention because it's a smaller market. I think I love the fact this year, even San Antonio versus New York, I don't think the storyline was small market versus big market. It was you know, Wemby versus you know, Jaylen or whatever else. And so I think the players recognize they can have success regardless of where they are. And I also think that the changes we've made in the CBA, you know that we've it's still a soft cap system, but they're so called second apron. You know, we want a better distribution than the players, and we're seeing that. But having said that, my goal sitting here isn't to ensure we have yet a ninth different champion next year. I think if there's roughly parody of opportunity and through strong management and great players teams can repeat, that's great too. I just think that fans want a sense that it's not top heavy as it was historically in the NBA. Remember three teams won sixty percent of the championships over the first sixty five years of this league. And you know, David Stern used to joke, you know, when he first became commissioner, you were just going back and forth from Boston to LA that was the job.
Speaker 3: And I think, you.
Speaker 4: Know as much as and I get that question all the time, like, oh, aren't dynasty's great?
Speaker 3: They're great.
Speaker 4: I think depending on how they're formed, I don't think fans are as enthusiastic about them if one team is spending drastically more than another team. So I like where we are and I'm not rooting for either one of those trends to continue. And but again, let's I think going into this coming season, new talent coming into league, a lot of deep talent around the league. You know, I think there'll be teams that are favored, but I think more fans will believe in their teams than their teams have a legitimate shot to win.
Speaker 2: What has kept you up at night before an NBA topic.
Speaker 4: Always the sports betting stuff. I mean, no question about it. I mean both. You know, when it was illegal, it kept us up, and when it's legal, it keeps us up. I mean in some ways, you know, you can better monitor it when it's legal, but a lot of the bad stuff is happening illegally. But I think given the prevalence of enormous amount of sports in our society, and by the way it's now, it's the prediction markets too, those are really sports betting platforms. I mean, everybody's a lot of chatter around predictions around wars and elections and things, but the majority of the money on those platforms is around sports. So and that's not regulated state by state.
Speaker 3: That's federal.
Speaker 4: And then I'm always reminding people in a global sport like ours. Last I counted, there was something like eighty five other countries that had legal sports betting, legalized sports betting on the NBA.
Speaker 3: So is no way we're going to turn the clock back on that.
Speaker 4: You know, we're constantly looking at new ways to monitor activity. You know, even lines around the world, you can still pay attention to them and if there's sort of strange line movements, try to figure out what's going on. Continue educating our players and everyone involved in the game on the dire consequences of betting.
Speaker 3: But that's definitely something that keeps me up.
Speaker 2: Tanking or flopping. What do you spend more time on?
Speaker 4: Well, this season, we spent more time on tanking, and we came up with a new system going into next season which just in short, largely flattens the odds for the non playoff teams, and presumably we'll disincentivize teams from that sort of behavior. I mean, there's no question it got out of hand, you know, and we want the focus to be on winning games, and I think that's what's going to change. It'll be really interesting to see next season because we'll be going into a world we've never been in before where there's essentially no incentive to be at the bottom. In fact, you know, we have a concept we're calling draft relegation sort of you're actually odds of getting a top pick go down if you're one of the bottom three picks. So you know, was very focused on that. This year, flopping started to get more attention early rounds at the playoffs this year. That's something we have a competition committee meeting in Las Vegas for two days.
Speaker 3: We'll certainly be spending a lot of time on that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that the concept in terms of flopping, I mean historically in the league for us, it was when a player snapped his head back and then you saw in video replay, maybe often after the game, that the other player didn't even touch him, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Look like a player was shot out of a rocket, etc. And wasn't even touched, you know.
Speaker 4: As I've said, you know recently, I think what modern flopping is often more about players trying to sell calls to officials. They're taught that in certain circumstances, so in many cases it actually is a foul, but you could argue they're overreacting to it, and I think we got to spend time looking at where that line is, where it's just in some cases just a non call, you know. And historically if a player chose to fall to the ground but nothing was called and the ball still in play, it's just a disadvantage to his team. And the thought was players just going to get up and it's going to stop doing that if the officials aren't rewarding them for that behavior.
Speaker 3: But I also, you know, I'm.
Speaker 4: Listening to fans, and I think to a certain maybe to a large extent, fans don't necessarily want to see guys falling down on every play.
Speaker 3: So that's something we'll pay more attention to this summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I brought this up. It feels like the WNBA allows play on more than the NBA does. It feels like these guys are really skilled at I'm going to draw contact, and I'm going to let you know that I'm drawing contact where the WNBA might be a little more lenient. Now, I don't know if that's fair as a blanket to put over it, but I see a lot of WNBA games as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's an interesting comment. I mean, one thing I've learned. I mean, the women's game is just different than the men's game. I mean, ultimately, MONTI McCutcheon is overseeing the entire officiating program. So there are different WNBA officials and in certain cases different managers of those officials, but overall, the total and totality, the program's overseen by the same people. So again, I think lessons learned for us over the years too, just in different approaches to the women's game and the men's game. It's just it's just played differently to a certain extent. But maybe right I mean again, I think that you know, you know, the direction to the officiating crew for the last few years has been sort of to recalibrate a bit to allow a more physical defense. We don't necessarily want to go back where you know, it was sort of brute force defense, and I remember those years and in some cases less from a skill standpoint, it was just more physicality, And I don't necessarily think people want that, but I mean, I think the fans and the players like to be able to play physical defense, and so to the extent then that you know, a player is just falling down or whatever else is a result of that. I think in most cases, you know, fans just want to see the flow of the game. They don't want the constant stoppage and play. So it's it's it's always just looking to find that right balance.
Speaker 2: Is there anything you need from me before we before we say goodbye.
Speaker 3: Maybe just to promote the draft tonight, ab.
Speaker 2: Who took away my voting privileges? Commissioner.
Speaker 4: You know there's a guy named Mike Bass Communications. He's off camera right over there. Have your folks talk to him.
Speaker 2: I mean, there aren't many guys like me still hanging around, Commissioner.
Speaker 3: I didn't know your voting privileges were taken away.
Speaker 2: Yes they were. I think when I left. I think we left when I left ESPN. Apparently NBA left me as well.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm gonna look into that one.
Speaker 2: If David Stern was still around, I'd have my I'd have my vote. Can you yell at somebody right now? Can you yell at Mike Bass right there? Mike?
Speaker 3: My media training is such that they say, like, don't.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Good to talk to you again, commission All right, that's Adam Silver. He'll restore my voting privileges. And you know what, I didn't even think of it, because I mean I do talk a lot about it. I did get to vote, and I you know, viewed it truly as a privilege, just like the Heisman and Paul goes, why don't you have a vote? I go, I'll be damned, why don't I have a vote. I'm gonna get some of my best people on that. Yes, Paul, I know.
Speaker 5: What's gonna happen now, because I know you. Now they're gonna say you have a vote, and you're going like, I don't know if I want to vote.
Speaker 2: I want to be mark. No, no, no, I do want to vom you do want it? Yes? I do want to Do you want me to follow up on this? Yeah? Okay, yes, yes. How about we take a break. We'll get to phone calls, update our poll results. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Hey is Covino and Rich from Fox Sports Radio Now.
Speaker 2: In addition to hearing.
Speaker 6: Us live weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, We're excited to announce a brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: Yup, that's right.
Speaker 6: You can now watch Covino and Rich live on YouTube every day. All you gotta do search Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube again go to YouTube search co be no Edrich FSR.
Speaker 2: Check us out on YouTube.
Speaker 6: Subscribe hit that thumbs up icon comment away.
Speaker 2: You know, the commissioner made it sound like, now, once again, I'm going to take some poetic license here that Vegas and Seattle are a done deal. It's not a question of if it's going to happen, but when it's going to happen, And it looks like it's going to be twenty twenty eight, and these are the only two cities that he mentioned, and then you're probably going to move either Memphis or Minnesota to the Eastern Conference finals. This has been talked about. I have a friend who deals in transactions. He pits, you know, he has two parties and one wants to sell and one wants to buy, and he usually gives me price tags on certain teams. And he mentioned this a couple of years ago. You were looking at probably an entry point of seven billion dollars to get an NBA team, certainly in Vegas. Vegas he thought might go for upwards of nine, maybe ten billion dollars. I think the Golden Knights owner has put in a bid to bring the NBA team to Las Vegas. But this is not a question of if, but when they're going to have NBA teams in Seattle in Vegas Campauling.
Speaker 5: I did find this because there's been a little bit of a scuttle but on the internet. If Seattle gets an expansion team with the NBA, can it be named the SuperSonics or did their history go to Oklahoma City. It's a little bit of both. If you look up on Basketball Reference, the Oklahoma City Thunder's history includes the Sonics. But in the deal that sent the Sonics to Oklahoma City, the city of Seattle retains the right to use SuperSonics in a new team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is fantastic. Yeah, you can have the history book. I mean, you got Kevin Durant was there, and then you got him in Okay. See. But now, I always believe when a team leaves another city that that city still gets to retain that name, just in case you get another team. Also, the flopping part of this, the flopping part, it really feels like it's just Shay gilgis Alexander. I mean a little bit of Jalen Brunson, but Sga is the face of flopping. I still think that if you let these guys play a little bit, and I truly believe the WNBA allows more playthrough than the NBA does. I don't want to see a great player go to the free throw line. I want to see a great player score baskets, but nobody wants to see somebody go to the free throw line. Nobody, And it's almost like you're rewarding that. I think if somebody falls and you don't call anything, that player looks pretty silly. But I don't know how you demo this where you have somebody come in and then you're like, Okay, we're gonna call that, but we won't call that. Let's create scenarios. Do you use AI? Do you know some kind of form of let's look at this and see what we're seeing, and everybody sees the same picture here. It's just like past interference. There was a time where we're like, oh my god, they call past interference on every play, and then, you know, the officials learned, players learned, and then it kind of changed. Oh there's holding on every call, and then all of a sudden, the players learned and the officials learned. Hopefully that's what happens here, because it's a shame that Sja is going to be known as a guy who flopped, because he's so much more than that, but James Harden same way. But he'll be remembered for well, he'll be remembered for a couple of things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Dylan, Yeah, I think it's like you want to police it, but you don't want to add to the slowing down of the game either. It's like, how do you in real time kind of do it, which it's ultimately a very subjective penalty like pi or holding in football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's it's there's certain officials who are going to call it one way. Certain officials. This is this is why I hated what Baseball did. They empowered the umpires to have their strike zone Like no, no, no, there's a strike zone. Not your interpretation, it's our interpretation. And that's why. You know, umpires had the opportunity to police this a long long time ago and they never did. It's like, ah, I'm going to give you that outside corner. I'm I'm gonna you know, I'm not gonna call a strike on that kind of pitch for you. You can't do that. You have to have uniformity there. And this is something that you know these other sports did to themselves. Randall in Virginia, Hi, Randall, what do you have for me today.
Speaker 8: Hol on once.
Speaker 2: Hey Randall, Randall, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Kay Dan, sorry about that, Thanks for taking my call again.
Speaker 2: Then I interrupt something there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was on a I was on a meeting call. I'm doing onboarding for a new job that I've just got. So unfortunate timing.
Speaker 2: But all the stay with the call. I mean, I don't want anything to happen here.
Speaker 8: No, no, it's it's fine. I was on video call too, so they just saw me throw my phone away to pick up your call. But anyway, real quick, I wanted to mention the Lionel Messi comps that you mentioned. Marvin kind of saw my thunder because I was going to say Steph Curry seems to always be around the ball. I also had some football comps Ed Reid and Troy Polamalu. They always seem to have a knack to be around the ball whenever it needed to be. I feel like Liono Messi. You watch him, He's just strolling and he's some somehow, some way seems to find the ball.
Speaker 2: So all right, well, good luck with your job there, thank you, thank you. N Yeah, the beauty with Messi is that he just sort of lingers. He just there, there, there, and then it happens so quickly, like it's almost like a snake bite. It's just there, it's there, and then boom it gets you.
Speaker 9: Yes, Mart, He's almost like Joker in a way because they're not relying on just pure athleticism. Almost like Joker, like man, when he gets forty, he'll still be playing the exact same way because there's not a lot of athleticism. Not saying MESSI isn't, but he's not just using raw athleticism to get all the goals.
Speaker 2: JJ in Florida, Hi, JJ, what do you have for me to think?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 11: I love rock and roll. I love the Beatles and the Stones and led Zeppelin and Rush. But there is one American band that I dislike in Templey. In fact, I would say abhore, and that is the Grateful Dead. Can't stand them. I really get completely sorry Zone.
Speaker 2: Okay, why do you hate the Grateful Dead? I don't even know why I'm asking this question, but I'm going to JJ, why do you hate the Grateful Dead?
Speaker 11: I just don't like their music. They don't make music, it's just sound. I don't like the voice, I don't like the guitar.
Speaker 2: I don't like the songs.
Speaker 8: There's no demon.
Speaker 2: Quality all right. Would you like to respond, Dylan, Oh, I.
Speaker 7: Don't know if JJ has ears, but they certainly make music and some of the best. I mean, Jerry Garcia is undeniably one of the best guitar players and most influential unique guitar players of all time. Bob Weare is probably the best rhythm guitar player of all time. They both have great vocals, et cetera. You want to go deeper, Phil Lesh one of the kind of one of the originators of having like a dominant bass line.
Speaker 2: Well, they had to bring in John Mayer to kind of spice things up a little bit. Well, Jerry died and there's been other versions. There's further you know, Bob wear and Rattog. Jerry died a while ago, the year I was born. Yeah, that's a long time ago. Well not years ago.
Speaker 7: Not according to you when it comes to music knowledge, Apparently thirty is too young, Dan, it is it is, Yes, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: It's interesting because I want to be objective here a great band or an influential band. It's almost like what you talk about with Steph Curry. I'm not sure because I'm not an expert on what the influence of the Grateful Dead is. But you mentioned Rim earlier, and Rim and Rolling Stone magazine. They were the first college band to break, and a lot of other bands followed right through, so I think that's their influence.
Speaker 2: Ri Em is Okay, maybe I'll just take out the comparison. Okay, we won't compare. I'll just say ri Em is an incredible band. Incredible. Now you can say, well, did they influence other bands? Or yes they did? Yeah, Darius owes his entire career to ri Em. He says that I'm sure Dave Matthews was influenced by them. Yes, Still, if.
Speaker 7: You asked Dave Matthews, they were more influenced by the Grateful Dead than Arim. I would almost bet my life on it.
Speaker 2: Are you going to bet truly about your life? Oh that's good.
Speaker 7: You can kill me if the answer is wrong.
Speaker 2: Let me text Dave Matthews and say, more influenced by you?
Speaker 3: Know what?
Speaker 2: I will try to do that during the break. I will text Dave Matthews and see if he'll tell me who he was more influenced by the Dead or are you guess?
Speaker 5: And Dylan will be the dead. If he's wrong, Yes, he will be very dead. Let me see what else do we have here? Terry in Seattle, Hi, Terry, what do you have for me? Hey?
Speaker 12: Good morning, Dan and Dan at Hey. I just wanted to call in and give a shout out to Linda Kohne, who just announced her retirement from the mother Ship after thirty four years of some great broadcasting and being sixty eight years old. I feel like I've listened to her and you for half my life and it's been great.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. Maybe we'll have Linda Cone on on Friday. Todd want to see if Linda Kung can join us. Long illustrious career and more sports centers than anybody. I think they tabulated around five thousand there. Brett and Florida, Hi, Brett, what do you have for me?
Speaker 8: A DP?
Speaker 13: Dannett's great show? As always, You're the best interviewer I've ever listened to in my life. Get the voting privileges back, Dylan tom Beach, Florida.
Speaker 8: Hat got to give you props with.
Speaker 13: The Dylan soorsby Jersey yesterday. I'm calling in regards to three things. Yes, if he's healthy, you say we have players to be named later, Andrew Wiggins, Bobby Portis, Norwyn Powell, and I don't think pat Riley is necessarily done right now. The interview with Adam Silver phenomenal, and the fact that when Clark could win the US Open with the entire course booing him on that course is remarkable.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree. Thank you for the phone call, Brett. Yeah, so a lot of different things sprinkled in there, but thank you for the compliment. Nate in Richmond, So I just text Dave Matthews. I don't know where he is on his tour, but random question, were you more influenced by the grateful debt or are you I'll let you know, don't know. I'm sure he's touring. He's always touring. Nate and Richmond. Hi, Nate, what do you have for me?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 8: Lost count a long time.
Speaker 2: I've been around soccer and football my whole life, and I found out the new terminology yesterday. So I have a fun fact.
Speaker 11: Of the day here.
Speaker 8: If he scored two goals, that's a brace three obviously the hat trick four as a whole, and five is the glues.
Speaker 2: Okay, wasn't aware of that? How many five? Goal games have we had in World Cup history? Have we had a five goal game by an individual? But thank you for the lingo there. So four is whole and then five is glute.
Speaker 5: I think four is a haul. Oh that's what I say, hole, a hole. He scored a hole of goals. And then uh, five is glute like Maximus like like glutenus, gluttons or gluttonous. Yeah, I'm looking for most most goals scored in a single game.
Speaker 2: Okay, how about we take a break. Last call for from Oh, Linda Cone is going to join us on Friday. All right, thank you, Tod. Nobody, nobody can hear your head when you nod.
Speaker 3: Well, you just waiting for me to say you're welcome.
Speaker 10: I don't you said what you said enough that required a response.
Speaker 2: Why didn't No, I didn't know if you were going to say. Oh yeah, I got a hold of her. She's very excited.
Speaker 3: She's very excited.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tod. All right, we'll take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Paulie with some downtime, decided to look how often the commissioners have been on this show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're calling this Dan the commissioner tracker this show. And when I was at ESPN, no, just the new version of this show. So since so twenty years. Yes, Commissioner Silver has been the commissioner since twenty fourteen. He's been on the show nine times.
Speaker 2: Dan, okay, all right.
Speaker 5: Rob, Rob Manfred major League Baseball six times on this show, possibly seventh ones in question, and the NFL Commissioner Roger Gadell.
Speaker 2: I'll let you guess.
Speaker 5: Well none with me, none would be correct because we don't count it if another host is here.
Speaker 2: But is it just a coincidence that when Ross Tucker hosted, he came on.
Speaker 5: I don't think it is, because, and I remember this pretty well, Fritzy sending the request and he specifically said, we have a guest host who let them know to be fair, that's Fritzy doing his job to know you're not in.
Speaker 2: And we got the yes back. Oh man, how do I not take that personal?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: He should, yes, especially when they said to be clear, so it's not Dan, Dan, I said, yeah, okay, let's do eleven twenty.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm fair. I'm fine with that. If they just say that commissioner doesn't like Dan, I get, then we won't bother them. Well I don't. I tell you. I tell Todd. I said, don't even bother with it. You know, I have a relationship with Manfred and Silver. I feel like I can ask them some questions and they'll actually give me an answer. Yeah. If I don't have the NFL commissioner, then I'm the one show that he doesn't do. That's okay. Uh what this should help?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Does matter?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: Like he can't come on less than he's come on? Right zero is zero and don't do this. Promise me, look at me. I don't want the commissioner on the last show that I do. I don't want that.
Speaker 3: I will make it. We could do the second to last day.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no no no yes.
Speaker 5: I got to jump in here then to protect Fritzi. How about with no six months left? If the commission is not on the show by that point, we rescind the invitation.
Speaker 2: I know he's had an opportunity to come on, he has chosen not to come on. He goes on every show. I don't know what he's afraid of I don't know why he doesn't like me, but no, no, no, no, we don't need him. If he comes on, great, I've shared the podium with him. I'm harmless. Sometimes, yes, Tom.
Speaker 10: You ask tough questions that require additional thought. There's no softballs, and that's a probably part of what happens. It's like, you don't want to have to be put on the spot and answer questions what people really want the answers to.
Speaker 2: It always sounds good. You know, when I first started out the Mothership, it'd be like, oh, man, we're gonna have the commissioner on, and then for the most part, they don't say anything. David Stern did because I had a relationship with it and I could poke him a little bit. But I've known Adam Silver for over thirty years, thirty five years. Maybe I remember when he worked at NBA Entertainment and he's this is the only interview outside of ESPN that he was going to do today. But he also knows that I'll ask some questions that maybe you're uncomfortable or he's willing to answer. Rob Manfred the same way. I appreciate that I don't want to waste this audience time. I don't want somebody dancing around a topic here. And if you come on you want to answer the questions, great, If you don't, it's okay. My career will be fine, it'll be complete. I don't need to go well, you know the one that got away. Roger Goodell is a busy man, and if he wants to go on other shows, good for him. Whatever he's comfortable doing. Yes, Dylan, I wouldn't take it personally. I think it's just business, am I the Jalen Brown It's just business? Yeah, Paul, I actually think Dylan is right.
Speaker 5: I think they the NFL sometimes wants to uh play to the lane that is the easiest with interviews and.
Speaker 2: Not you know what I'm saying that I actually a total compliment. I know, but it's almost like I wish they would just say to Todd, hey, Todd, he's not going to go on with Dan then, and just say ever period and it's okay. They're There are people who don't come on the show for you know, a variety of reasons, probably most notably the questions that are asked. It's okay, well, I don't know if I would be going on a show where I had to answer questions that you know, I was uncomfortable. I mean, even with Wyndham Clark, I wasn't dancing around the crowd. But I'm sure there were people handlers saying, you know, can and let's not spend so much time on the crowd at the US Open. Well that was the story. I mean, he fought through that. That was an important part of him winning that championship. Yes, Dylan, is.
Speaker 7: There one that got away in the guest department? Obviously not Goodell, but you know anyone else.
Speaker 2: Well, you would want Jordan on and you know what, I don't rule that out. I think maybe at the end of the you know, career, maybe Mike will join us. Yes, Tom, it could be.
Speaker 10: A coincidence if you're not available all the time, sometimes every single specific day of time.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at it.
Speaker 2: Just it's not a good winner. You are right, did you do something three am on Thursday? Who who has their number one pick tonight? Who goes number one? Todd?
Speaker 3: That would be aj Debantsa, All right.
Speaker 5: Dylan, gotta go with the odds. I'm going to Bansa, all right, Marvin de Banca, Paul, Yeah, the same Yeah, I'm gonna say Debansa. That makes the most sense, but that doesn't mean that's what the Wizards do. This day in sports history, Paul.
Speaker 2: Just one for you, Dan.
Speaker 5: President Nixon in nineteen seventy two signed Title nine acting too.
Speaker 2: Uh law, Okay, there it is. Let's see. Nineteen sixty three, Jimmy Pearsall hit his one hundredth career home run. He circled the bases backwards. They allowed the home run to count, but he got ejected from the game. Twenty sixteen, On this day, the seventy six ers select Ben Simmons most goals in a World Cup Paul, anybody have five?
Speaker 5: Five happened once olegg Selenko of Russia against Cameroon in ninety four.
Speaker 2: Five goals. All right, let's go around the room. Todd, do you learn anything today?
Speaker 3: I learned from you.
Speaker 10: Do not underest rate Pat Rally as he went big game hunting once again, bringing the Greek Freak to Miami.
Speaker 7: Dylan, I never thought I'd say this, but my fate is in Dave Matthews's hands.
Speaker 2: Yes, I haven't heard back from him. Marvin.
Speaker 9: You take you one season at a time, Paul, would.
Speaker 2: You learn today shiny, halvy people.
Speaker 10: That's a bad song I learn ESPN Vincent Goodwill says the Bucks got about as much a they could for Gianni, who's gonna leave anyway.
Speaker 2: Have a great day, everybody. We'll chat with you tomorrow.