Speaker 1: And now my back.
Speaker 2: You're like that.
Speaker 3: You can strike borders with waters from head borders behind him.
Speaker 4: And if you're just tuned in Nacific cipher, I am your host, ramses Josh.
Speaker 1: I go by the name q Wares. Indeed, stay tuned. We got a lot more show to talk about.
Speaker 4: We're still working through some gun issues that are you know, plaguing this country. And and and we recognize that guns affect everyone, and so this is not just a black issue, but it is in fact a black issue the same as it is an issue for everyone else. In that same spirit, I do want to recognize that this is Asian American and Pacific Pacific islander heritage each month, and we definitely want to spend some time highlighting that for our AAPI brothers and sisters who have stood in solidarity with us. So let's get started on that right now with becoming a Better Ally Baba sponsored by Hip Hop Weekly. So there's a song that we play on the show. It's by Dilated Peoples and it's called Proper Propaganda.
Speaker 1: We play it every show.
Speaker 4: We just played it for the rejoin and we'll play it again before the show is over. We we like that song because proper propaganda kind of fits the theme of the show here.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: One of the MC's from Dilated People's put up a song called Anti Remix and it features Rocke Eye Science to the Dilated People's Shingo to Bohan Phoenix and DJ Kutso and basically it's a song kind of detailing some of the hate experienced by some of our AAPI brothers and sisters. There's also an assembl Sorry, a mixtape of artists who make sure Asians have a place in pop culture.
Speaker 1: Along with giving you new songs to obsess about.
Speaker 4: The artists on the mixtape navigate the complex space between the Asian and Pacific islander in American culture. Many of them have Bay roots like Jay Sam Go, Nakumura, Guac Dad four thousand and others who are from overseas, and you can find out more about that on our social media. We'll have that up for you, so be sure to check that out as well and support the music, and in that way we can kind of bridge I'll build bridges to.
Speaker 1: Each other's community.
Speaker 4: Now we're going to discuss some other goings on in the world. There is a lesser known mass shooting that took place. This was that a Korean church in southern California, so I will read this comes from NBC News. A shooting at a Taiwanese church in California that killed one and wounded five is investigated as a hate crime. The FBI says Chao, a US citizen from China, was quote upset about political tensions between China and Taiwan.
Speaker 1: Okay, So.
Speaker 4: We recognize that, you know, there's a problem with guns in this country, that people can go and buy guns and take out their aggressions at churches, at grocery stores, at schools, you name it. And we don't want to turn to turn a blind eye to the hurt that is experienced in other communities. So we want to acknowledge that. We believe that, you know, by working together, by having these sorts of conversations, we can all move closer to the goal of seeing things like this happen less frequently. But this does qualify as a mass shooting. It didn't make headlines because at the time when this happened, you know, there was the mass shooting in Buffalo that killed ten black shoppers and I believe there were three injured without them, So we didn't want to skip over this. We recognize that there are fears and this it's a different there's a different lens through which the world is viewed sometimes in our Asian brothers and sisters community, same as our Hispanic brothers and sisters.
Speaker 1: And so I wanted to make sure that we talked about that. And it really wouldn't have been to be honest, and you know, apprecing to the choir here, it wouldn't have been a skipping over so much. Supposed to have three mass shootings to report on, and thank you for saying that. So what we have is now, in short order, three different mass shootings talking Buffalo, we're talking the one at the church in southern California and of course the school in Texas. Three different circumstances.
Speaker 4: And you know, there's a lot of folks are pointing to, you know, mental health issues in these communities, right, and them may be well founded.
Speaker 1: It's also so ignorantly convenient, sure to try to use mental health as this mask all band aid to excuse very very irresponsible legislation, very very irresponsible carnivore like capitalism, very very irresponsible propaganda like levels of racism. Let's just throw mental health on it so we can make it seem isolated and try to take the attention off of the reasons why people are actually angry. You know, there's I put a post up on my Facebook and I says, does anyone still think having more guns is the solution?
Speaker 4: Right? Because you know that was part of the narrative for a long time when the last president was in office. Put more guns on the street, give more guns to teachers so they have a gun in the class, like that sort of thing, as if that's the world that people, Yeah, as if that's the world people want to live in, right, And you know, I'm thinking by asking this question that the answer is obvious.
Speaker 1: Of course, you thought you were being rhetorical. That's what I thought. You forgot the country that you live in. I did for a quick second that optimism of mine. Man, it took me to another place. Oh, my my friend, my brother.
Speaker 4: It was like the Staple singers was was calling me because I was anyway. So there was a gentleman that responded. As it turned out, he wasn't my friend on Facebook. I don't know how he my post ended up making.
Speaker 1: Its way to him, but he says, Chicago is a perfect example of what happens when you take guns away. Now it's the murder capital of the world, right.
Speaker 4: And I could see him on his keyboard.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know, I don't know quite like Maggie b knowing, but I do know how you feel.
Speaker 4: Cute. But I could see him behind his keyboard typing that and getting that off and somehow thinking that he's right. You know, we can't take the guns away, so the only solution is more guns. And he wields Chicago like it's the be all end all, and now he's won.
Speaker 1: The argument kicks closed. He's done with it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I immediately responded as soon as I saw it, and I says, now, now, mind you. He says, Chicago is a perfect example of what happens when you take guns away. It's now the murder capital of the world.
Speaker 1: I said, that statement makes sense even to the author of that post.
Speaker 4: So I said, Australia is a perfect example of what happens when you take guns away. Chicago has many other systemic problems added to the fact that guns weren't ever really taken away. Now Australia, I don't hold me to this because I'm just remembering reading about this. But Australia had a mass shooting there with some guys shooting people up on a beach or something like that. It was awful. It was a national tragedy, of course. And after that they said, you know what, no more guns, we don't need run.
Speaker 1: No guns back. So everyone had to bring the guns back.
Speaker 4: And since then they haven't had those types of tragedies where people are just mowing down folks.
Speaker 1: Let me read this or this. But in nineteen ninety six a gunman murdered thirty five people in Australia, this is it, and injured twenty three others at a tourist resort. That was it. The country immediately moved to establish a national gun registry, required permits for gun purchases, and banned all semi automatic rifles and semi automatic pump action shotguns. A government buy back program also retrieved some six hundred and fifty thousand now banned firearms. They've had one mass shooting since Okay, before those reforms they had mass shootings and thirteen of the eighteen years.
Speaker 4: Okay, now I'm glad you read that, because I want to add to it that in New Zealand, Q and I We have a friend who is Muslim, and things that happened to our Muslim brothers and sisters are things that we pay attention to because we recognize that our Muslim friend the world is very different to her. In New Zealand, a white supremacist went into a mosque and mowed down fifty people in the mosque, and obviously that was another national tragedy in New Zealand. A different country from Australia, a different country from the United States. These are both free countries, by the way, just like the US, both free countries.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: The one thing is that you know, people say, you know, we have the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms doesn't say you have the right to bear as many arms as you want. You know, you could have a limit two gun. You can have a shotgun and a handgun limit. That's it, right, It's possible, and that still complies with the Second Amendment.
Speaker 1: You could have it.
Speaker 4: You know, we could have it even be more strict because it could be limited to the arms that were in existence at that time. What types of guns existed, where they are automatic guns, where they're only muskets.
Speaker 1: You know, who knows. There's ways to interpret that law that makes everyone safer. It's also called the Second Amendment. It's an amendment. Google is free. I'll let you guys Google amendment. Yeah, you can change that. They change all the time again. Yeah, three days after those fifty people were murdered in a mosque in New Zealand. New Zealand, a free country that did not even require guns to be registered, banned assault rifle, bought the guns back. Yet they have not had a mass shooting since, not one.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about Great Britain. I believe that this was like I feel like this is an Irish story, right, but Great Britain. There was a gentleman there. I don't want to call him a gentleman, a guy there. He was getting picked on or something like that. He was suspected of being a pedophile nose and got a gun, went to a school, shot the school up. All right, this was this was years ago, and they did effective did the same thing as Australia, as New Zealand.
Speaker 1: All right, no more guns. This is this is senseless. This is craizy.
Speaker 4: It's a national tragedy. They weren't on some thoughts and prayers. I mean sure, but they were on some let's take action. They weren't, you know, stonewalling legislation in the way that the Senate Republicans are doing right now. And it's almost like it's almost like they're rubbing everyone's faces in it because the you know, as of this recording, our understanding is that the former president and Ted Cruz and the governor of Texas are all going to go to and in our a National Rifle Association convention in Texas and celebrate gun.
Speaker 1: Now. As you know, that's definitely attending. And the nr I even put out a statement, yeah, in the statement mentioning that they were convening like.
Speaker 4: It was ninety one percent of the people in this country are in favor of universal background checks on guns, and they and the Senators will not even listen to that. They won't even debate it because it's been politicized.
Speaker 1: And the Dunblane massacre happened in Scotland. Scotland, Okay, that's in the ninety Kingdom. So as you moved to.
Speaker 4: Post stricter gun laws because it's just it just makes sense, that's what you do. This is very doable, even in a country this big, even in a country this diverse. Of course, you don't get everything right the first time, but you did something, even if it's the wrong thing right. Because there's nothing more wrong than me having to have a conversation with my child about how to protect himself when he's at school in the event that the worst happens. The only reason I'm having this conversation on the radio is just in case you might not know what to say to your child.
Speaker 1: This is a really strange place to interject this go for it, and it just came across my feet. I don't even need the context. Texas Governor Abbott and I quote it could have been worse. So these are the lives of American citizens.
Speaker 4: We do recognize that there is a gun lobby, powerful gun lobby. There is a very significant portion of the population that equates owning a gun to being an American. Or maybe it's owning a gun and owning a Bible, which I don't know that those things for me personally, I'm a philosophical love I don't know that those two things really exist in the same place.
Speaker 1: Because, you know, for those that.
Speaker 4: Subscribe to the Bible or Christian ideology or whatever, my understanding is that the Bible is.
Speaker 1: It's effectively.
Speaker 4: A manual that teaches you how to you better, love better, to live a good life, aust life. You know, you don't harm people, you know, serve God, that sort of thing. If I'm wrong, you know you can you can reach out. We're at Civic Cipher. Let me know if the Bible is if I got that wrong.
Speaker 1: But we are, however, a walking contradict.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, but I'm making I'm making a point that so there's made a better comparison. There's my point is because the gun, you know, we say this all the time on the show, but the gun only exists to end a life, which I believe flies in the face of everything that the Bible talks about.
Speaker 1: If you believe in the Jesus part, there's a whole turn the other cheek a.
Speaker 4: Section in there, right, I'm not if I'm not mistaken, that's where that comes from. So having a gun, even if it is to, like, I don't know, protect your I feel like, if you need to protect yourself, protection comes in the form of a bulletproof vest. Killing someone comes in the form of a gun. And if that's what you call protection, then let's call it what it is, you know. But I don't want to get too far down this rabbit hole because I I Ramses, was not put here to end the life you know, I live.
Speaker 1: I live today. Well, I love my son, I love your son.
Speaker 3: I love you too.
Speaker 1: I love my my older son. He's not here, you know.
Speaker 4: So that's what my story is going to be about, not about ending anyone else's life.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean to cut you off. To you God, Well, so what do we do about it? H first time I smiled all show? So what do we do about it?
Speaker 4: I will will have a second baba, right, Steve Kerr. If you haven't seen it, please go and watch. It's a short viral clip on your favorite social media site or or you can just google it. I'm sure it's on YouTube as well. He sat down, You've Kerr who lost a parent to gun violence. By the way, thank you for suing. I could textualize this for you. I'm not a sports person, but you know I am a person who pays attention to the culture.
Speaker 1: If you will.
Speaker 4: So he sits down at this table and he says, I don't want to talk about basketball. How do I talk about basketball? A bunch of babies just got shot at school. They didn't get to go home. Parents, they didn't even know they went to the school, and then they found out.
Speaker 1: Some didn't even find out in the moment. Right. The count as of yesterday, I think was fifteen. The count as of five minutes ago twenty one. Yeah, so there are parents who are still finding out that their babies were murdered yesterday.
Speaker 4: I think that what he did is what we should do. Okay, let's all stop. We don't need to talk about basketball. You know, we don't need to. You know, I own a nightclub. Well, watch me say this. We don't need to go to the club. We can take a week off, we can figure something out. We could write a letter to an elected representative. We could go down to an office, we could organize, we could you know, tap in with a group that you know something. We can't do nothing, and obviously we cannot expect our elected representatives to do this. And you don't want to be those people where this comes to your door before you take action. I've seen parents crying, and you know, the parents from the Parkland massacre, the people from Post nightclub. All these folks get on the news every time something like this happens, and they say the same things. Well, their numbers are growing, but only because their loved ones are dying. You don't want to join those ranks after your loved one has died. You want to join those ranks now. So that's what we can do. You know, one thing I noticed.
Speaker 1: During the last administration is that the buy in from that side it's unlike anything you've ever seen before, because even when it arrives on their door, they'll justify their rhetoric. Yeah, just to not have to say I'm wrong. And this is a completely unrelated topic, but there was a mother being interviewed after our former president says some very very vile and disrespectful things about women sexual assault more specifically, and the mother kind of the mother looked over to her daughters and kind of echoed the sentiment and some way of everybody gets gropes sometimes, right, just as a way to justify that to her own daughter. So know that even when it's on their doorstep, it still doesn't really call for action.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll leave you with this. I've heard this before. What do you do when you can't do nothing, but there's nothing you can do. The answer is you do what you can all right, it's time for the way Black history fact. This one comes from Time magazine and we are honoring our Asian American and Cific Islanders for the AAPI Heritage Month.
Speaker 1: This is the story of how one woman's.
Speaker 4: Story led to the creation of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. So I'll read one persistent voice expressing frustration towards the status quo can change the way history is remembered. Case in point, Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. The observance now takes place every May in the US and is marked by communities within the country, within the country's twenty two point two million Asian and one point six million Native Hawaiian and other Pacific islanders. And yet despite that scale, the seeds for the commemorative month originated from one woman. During the congressional hearing in nineteen ninety two in which then New York Congressman Frank Horton introduced a bill that called for May to get that designation. He made a point of signaling out that woman Jeanie Drew, a former Capitol Hill staffer who had first Approachorten about the idea in the mid nineteen seventies. That's a long gap between the seventies and ninety two, more than fifteen years earlier. She had witnessed the US bi centennial celebrations of nineteen seventy six and was concerned about the lack of recognition given to Asian Pacific Americans. Quote she thought, what are the different ways that we can promote public awareness of the contributions, says Claudine Cheng, a former president of OCA Asian Pacific American Advocates. At the time, celebrations for Black History Mode and Hispanic Heritage Week were already in place. While Black History Month was decreed by President Gerald Ford in nineteen seventy six to become a national observance. We did an episode on that one. Hispanic Heritage Week was designated as a national celebration by President Lyndon B. Johnson in nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Quote the right.
Speaker 4: Thing to do was to push for the Asians to also have a similar time during the year for commemoration and celebration, quote, Chang says. And for Jue, the lack of recognition was very personal. Her great grandfather Milee had come to the US from China in the eighteen hundreds, and helped build the transcotton down the railroad. He and his peers had played a key role in American history, but had suffered for it. In the late nineteenth century, US federal law openly targeted Chinese immigrants. The Chinese Exclusion Act of eighteen eighty two prevented the immigration of Chinese laborers to the US for ten years, and was renewed by the Gee Gee Tree Act, which additionally required immigrants from China to gry permits at all times or faced possible deportation. It was not until more than sixty years later, in nineteen forty three, that Congress repealed that exclusion, and even then the law only allowed one hundred and five Chinese people to enter the country each year. I believe it's Chinese people are the only ethnic group that has been.
Speaker 1: Excluded and.
Speaker 4: Targeted by law like the ethnic group written out Chinese people outside of black.
Speaker 1: Host Of course, DeFi wasn't getting that one off today, so all right.
Speaker 4: Toward those who did make it to the United States, acts of violence were common. One incident involved seventeen men and boys murdered in Los Angeles in what is now known as the Chinese Massacre of eighteen seventy one. Another involved San Jose's Chinatown being burned and destroyed. Genie Jews ancestor did not escape this fate. Lee later became a prominent California businessman. Horton a primary sponsor of the resolution set in nineteen ninety two, when the Chinese were having difficulties in Oregon, mister Lee traveled to Oregon and was killed. During that period of unrest, it was a time of anti Chinese and anti Asian sentiment. The revelations about mister Lee and the story of Asian Americans led this one woman to believe that not only should Asians understand their own heritage, but that all Americans must know about the contributions and histories of the Asian Pacific American experience in the United States. The month of May was selected for two reasons, First to commemorate the arrival of the first known Japanese immigrant to the US on May seventh, eighteen forty three. Secondly, to honor the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad on May tenth, eighteen sixty nine, the building of which up to twenty thousand Chinese workers participated in Jew and Ruby Moy Horton's chief of staff, spearheaded the efforts to gain support for the proclamation. In nineteen seventy eight, Horton and former California Representative Norman Minetta introduced a bility called for the week beginning on May fourth, which would include the dates of two key events to be designated as Asian Pacific American Heritage Week. After the joint resolution was passed by Congress, President Jimmy Carter signed it into law, and thus the commemorative occasion began as a week. The law, however, did not designate the week as an annual celebration, and community organizations and advocates were required to submit new requests annually have the bill reauthorized. In nineteen ninety, the Commemorative Week expanded to a commemorative month after a new bill was passed by Congress and signed in the law by President hw Bush. Even then, the proclamation did not include an annual designation. The President had to reauthorize May as Asian Pacific American Heritage a month annually in the coming years. It was not until nineteen ninety two when Horton, along with multiple co sponsors, introduced the legislation that would permanently designate May as the Commemorative Month, a legislation that became law after receiving unanimous support in Congress. I want to take a moment because there's some people who might just be tuning into this show. They might not know the history of this show, and I want to make sure that I speak, and I'll speak for UQ as well. The reason that we on this Black show highlight issues that affect our Hispanic brothers and sisters communities and our Asian brothers and sisters communities is we saw in twenty twenty those people come out and march with us when we needed them. We saw with our own eyes well live the rest of our lives knowing that truth. And we also recognize that we were the most likely to be able to get a radio show nationally syndicated in this space. You know, many of you listen to us on hip hop stations. Many of you you listen to us on really big radio stations in your in your communities, And it would be easier for us to do that then it would be for some of our other brothers and sisters from different tribes. And far be it from us to forget the people that stood with us.
Speaker 1: I also want to say, very very quickly, we as a people have also shown throughout our history that we don't even require for you to stand with us, for us to support you. We have given the largest and most unbalanced benefit of the doubts to everyone else. I think of any people in the history.
Speaker 4: Of the world, We'll say and uh, We'll leave it right there, heavy show. Thank you for tuning in. Of course, I'm your host, ramses Josh, I go by the name you Board. I want to shout out my special helper, uh, the person that took an hour of his time to hang out with the grown ups and be bored.
Speaker 1: Mister Taylor, thank you for being on the show today. You welcome.
Speaker 4: Today's show, of course, was produced by Ms Maggie a ka Maggie be Knowing. Be sure to follow us on all social media at Civic Cipher. You can download this in any previous episodes on our website civiccipher dot com.
Speaker 1: You can also send us any sort of topics, any questions, or anything like that you want us to cover.
Speaker 4: And of course you can make a donation and show is blind with your support and donations.
Speaker 1: Are all this well received and until next week, y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make sure we had the lead. These brothers the fabulous our Ladies show.
Speaker 3: When you move m travels speak to you from sunlight to bust on stage like.
Speaker 2: Move my mic back, you'd like that. Journalists with journalists.
Speaker 3: Too, we can strike back hard horb borders with waters from head, borders behind enemy line, sides up and the borders with press pass.
Speaker 2: We bring it to you as it happens the streets.
Speaker 3: Love popped in from music and rapping the street compand to slash beat Expando.
Speaker 2: You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 3: What's happenings? You've got a questions to ask if the news is just a TV show capacity and this from a quiet wartime journalists headlines, wake up reviews and resist.
Speaker 2: Like this like what like this?
Speaker 3: Like we get podast faction that scores the sports, politics, new fashion and war for boots entertainment.
Speaker 2: If we come to perform watch and the gun us when the man in.
Speaker 3: The door watch trick clops video that can take the TV, that radio, CD or DVD.
Speaker 2: I resigned sponsor. This is wild Bad who was in Scratch and keeping time.
Speaker 3: About physical down to ape the people listen for us to detail and detail of the pen is mightier than the sword, because the pen gives the words sending swords to war.
Speaker 2: They twisted it when he caught it bout.
Speaker 3: State tongue and said political powers from the barrel of the god.
Speaker 2: The officer meet his faith of forty four and thirty eight. It wasn't dirty d without to read a dirty case, witnesses. It gets the.
Speaker 3: State for sure facts or the looks of the judge to throw the book, perhaps for politicians with something to prove in the city where they.
Speaker 2: Blew, or you to fall from all yours.
Speaker 3: When the answers need more question why did take months to bring him from the confession? The principles are saying, even without the name, But I still say, and you him, I am.
Speaker 2: I have to fight. They could easily be me, but just being the pink of the speaking and free me. Oh, though I use my brain before using the fist.