Speaker 1: Let's talk about the sizzling Tampa Bay Rays. They've won nine in a row entering Friday nights, six and a half games up in the Division over the Yankees. Brian Anderson, Rays broadcaster does a great job on there, Brian, thanks for joining us, man. What are you seeing? What's looking good?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll get to that.
Speaker 3: I want to piggyback on you guys, your stories about the hit my pitch and you know who's doing you know who's angry who. When I was pictured for the Angels, we were playing the Tigers and they had come into town and just it was a weekend series and they had just wiped this out. And I don't remember if it was a three or a four game series, but they had come in in the first however many games they just smoked us. So I'm pitching the final game of that series, day game, and we've got a five to two lead, six to two lead, and hit a home run off of David Wells.
Speaker 2: I can't remember who hit the home run, but Wells.
Speaker 3: Then Drills our next hit her and our dugout went crazy, and of course word went out. When you get back out there, Travis Frieman, take him down. You're gonna drill Frieman.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: You know what he did, Bush lead, you know all the things. So I go up there the next half fitning. Now, meanwhile, Travis Fryman, I don't think he was up until third in that inning, and I'm like, okay, I've got to be able to get some outs here before I'm going to be hitting anybody.
Speaker 2: You end up with two.
Speaker 3: Guys on and I'm now going to hit a guy. You know, how's that going to work out? And I remember Tony Phillips lined out the third hard, and then finally Travis Friman came up and I put one right in the middle of his back.
Speaker 2: He didn't say a word, took his base. That was it. That was the end of the series. That was the last I heard of it.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, word comes down from the visiting clubhouse kids. They said when that half fitting was over, Frieman went up into the clubhouse and went after David Wells and was like, you you were the reason that I got hit. And so they had a big thing up in their clubhouse. So, yeah, a lot of times guy gets hit. I'm not worried about the pitcher out there, he did his job. I'm going to go to the guy that got me hit. So I listen to your guys stories that that was perfect. That came to mind. I had to share it.
Speaker 4: It changed. It's changed, Brian, It's changed me as you know. It's changed. It's you can't do this anymore. You can't. You can't get mad at anybody no matter what anyone does.
Speaker 5: Everyone is happy and we're all hakuna matata, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that's a great thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you what, you watch it all the time.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And as someone who was hit many times by the Rays on purpose, I mean, you guys are dirty, dirty sons of guns down there. And let me tell you, Wagner, what are you doing. I don't know if you remember that one from Hawk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 3: Listen with this team right now, I'm gonna tell you what I think that you know, having been around the league enough and having been around this team enough, it is the most well rounded team.
Speaker 2: In the America League, hands down. I think topped about them.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: You can argue maybe there are some factions of the team that you know, other teams are stronger. Maybe you know the Yankees starting pitching you could that argument, but I think when you go top to bottom and you look at starting rotation, bullpen, especially the back end, and then you get into the lineup, I don't think that there's a deeper, more well rounded team right now, and they're showing that. They showed that on this last West Coast road trip. It was the first time that a team from either the AL East or the NL East has gone out and played teams from the NL West or the AL West in a three city trip nine games and gone nine to zero since the nineteen seventy seven Red Sox did it, and they won games. The thing that was really interesting to me, and granted, you're playing at cors, you're playing in Sacramento, so there's going to be some offensive numbers that are inflated. But they had five games on that trip where they scored eight or more runs, and they had to win some shootouts because the pitching at times wasn't the best, but they went out did what they had to do to win. Then they had four games that they scored four runs or few or of course won all of those, and in those four games they only gave up four runs total.
Speaker 2: So you saw the pitching lockdown when it needed to.
Speaker 3: You saw the team be able to slug when they needed to, hitting, you know, some home runs, something that hasn't been a big part of their offense. In fact, I think their tenth in the American League in home runs. However, if you go back to the beginning of July, this is a team that's right at the top of the leaderboard. A couple days ago they had hit the most. They still may be up top there. So the home run has has come in to be a little bit more a part of this offense than earlier in the season. But it's the versatility it is. You know, you've got your big three, You've got Yondi Diez, You've got Jonathan Ronda, You've got Junior Cameron Aro. I think Liam Hicks was a big pickup at the trade deadline to kind of lengthen that lineup. As far as the power goes, He's a perfect fit to for this lineup.
Speaker 2: I mean Liam Hickson to this point in the.
Speaker 3: Season, you know, he has more walks than strikeouts, and since coming to the Rays hitting three on base of four p thirty eight couple of home runs, nine driven in all in eight games. But then you got guys like Chandler Simpson, Taylor Walls, Johnny DeLuca, all these guys that do a great job of finding a way to get on base, and even if they're not get a bunt down, they're very aggressive with the bunt as far as trying to bunt for hits, sacrifice bunts, hit and run. They play an old school style of baseball once you get out of the top three of that lineup, and it is really difficult. Been watching it all year long, Very difficult for teams and pitchers to defend because you never know when.
Speaker 2: They're going to do it.
Speaker 3: They don't play their version of small ball late in the game, when the game's close. They'll do it three hitters into a game. I mean, they have Chandler Simpson on this road trip hit in the three hole. He comes up in his first at bat, runners at first and second, lays down a bunch. It turns out to be a bunt for a hit, even though he was trying to sacrifice. This team is difficult to defend, and right now they're playing with a very, very very high level of confidence.
Speaker 5: Do you worry, BA you mentioned, you mentioned they're Big three.
Speaker 4: I guess you could make it big four.
Speaker 5: Now if you're throwing Liam Hicks there that they're so top heavy though they are so, I mean, because then you get down to like Walls and Chandler Simpson and some of the guys kind of towards the bottom. Do you worry that at some point if the top four don't do anything, that that bottom won't be enough.
Speaker 2: I don't, you know what.
Speaker 3: I think that that's always going to be a worry. But they do it a little bit differently. They're just scrappy. They find their way, you know, they find their ways to get on base.
Speaker 2: I mean, Chandler Simpson had a little bit of a rut in the middle of the year where he had like a.
Speaker 3: Four for forty five streak, But in the last I don't know, six seven weeks, he's got the top batting average in the in the American League.
Speaker 2: At least, you know he's doing a.
Speaker 3: Better job at getting on top of the ball. Ground balls and line drives are his game. He hits the ball in the air, it's an out, and so you do worry about that. But it's almost like the race have two lineups.
Speaker 2: In one.
Speaker 3: You've got your top three to four and then you've got that bottom half that just they're.
Speaker 2: A pain in the neck to deal with.
Speaker 3: And certainly it's tougher to score runs when you're trying to scratch across two to three hits, lay down a sacrifice bunt, have everything work out perfectly to score that run or two.
Speaker 2: But these guys have found a way to make it happen.
Speaker 3: I'll give you another name of a guy who has really come on for this team. Victor Mason Junior, is getting more opportunities to play out there in right field. He's an outstanding defender, gets great jumps, takes great routes, has a cannon for an arm, and he's hit ten home runs and one hundred and fifty five at bats, so he's been, you know, on the offensive side, he has been coming through in a big way.
Speaker 2: So they've got different guys that have been stepping up.
Speaker 3: But you're right, when you look at that top three, it does look top heavy, but that bottom five to six, they can find different ways to score and it just becomes a pain to deal with because it's literally like having two lineups in one.
Speaker 1: Let's talk fabletox, shall we They have apparel for every season. We're wearing it as we talk about it. It's soft, it's comfortable. I wear it on the show sometimes on FT. What else do you love about it? Krats?
Speaker 6: Well, I have it on right now and I'm all about quality. But you know what, you know how good your clothes are when you're a parent and your kids keep stealing all of it. My daughter stole the sweatshirt, my son sole one of my t shirts. So it's got to be nice looking.
Speaker 1: And if it gets a little bit chillier then it's layering season and they've got layers for the fall. Shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so do not wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 7: Now, I want you to divulge in this column that just came out about Yondi Dias in his leadership and on and off the field, because I got to play with him in Cleveland, a little bit, and he's as quiet as could be then, But obviously he was upcoming, and he was younger and all that, and yet I've never seen a bigger chest and biceps fit into a jersey in my entire life. That guy does not skipping an entire day. And I was always I disagreed with Cleveland a lot on this where they wanted him to try to lift the ball a little bit more. They wanted him to get into the air because they see this huge, massive being and they're like, the power's got to be there, and he certainly does have power. But this guy was born with a line drive swing that goes all over the field. And I just always watched him hitting be b and absolutely loved what I saw. But it sounds like he's turning into quite the leader too.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: He does so much for this team, yet you put him right up there at the top of the order.
Speaker 2: And that's the one thing that the Rays did.
Speaker 3: And to your point, not only did Cleveland want him to get the ball in the air more because of his size and strength, but he consistently hits.
Speaker 2: The ball hard.
Speaker 3: I mean, he gets the barrel to the baseball as well as any so you could see why you would.
Speaker 2: Want to turn him into that guy. The Rays they just let him go.
Speaker 3: And this is what I will tell you following him all these years, he has the most tried and true approach that I've seen that he does.
Speaker 2: Not deviate from.
Speaker 3: And so what Yondi does is he lets the fastball that's middle of the plate and away. He lets that fastball get deep into the zone and then shoots it back up the middle or hits it the other way. That's just his game. And then if you roll a braking ball and something hangs, that's when he'll get the barrel through the zone, catch it out front, and now he can put some backspin on it to left field for an extra base hit, maybe even a home run.
Speaker 2: And when he catches.
Speaker 3: Backspin on the fastball the other way, I mean he hits a you know, he'll hit a good number of home runs that way. The one pitch that Yondy concedes is the fastball in He doesn't like it, and because he likes to let the fastball travel, that's a pitch that can give him trouble. But he's smart enough to realize in today's game, where command is not the name of the game, like it used to be.
Speaker 2: He's betting. I know you'd like to. I don't think you can do it.
Speaker 3: If you can pop fastballs in there consistently, you might be able to get me. But I know that you can't number one, because you may not be comfortable pitching in. A lot of guys aren't comfortable pitching in. There's an art to do that. Aj you would know that better than anybody sitting behind the plate calling the pitches.
Speaker 2: So there's an art to do that.
Speaker 3: Some guys aren't comfortable doing that, and some guys that are aren't capable.
Speaker 2: And Yavi knows eventually, you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna pull one towards the middle, and I'm gonna line that one back up the middle. And he does not deviate from that approach, and it has been it has been so fun to watch because it's been year after year after year, and he doesn't deviate, he doesn't change, He does his thing. All he wants to know about a pitcher, what's his velocity, what's his top velocity. I'll take it from there.
Speaker 5: That's called hitting, Brian Anderson, that's called hitting. Just that's how guy, but that's how guys used to hit. That's what we always talked about, is hey, let the fastball get deep, hit the fastball the other way, and then if they hang a breaking ball, you're on time. I mean, that's how it wasn't Hey let me get out front and try to just back spin everything. I'll take my hits to ryfield as a right handed hitter, and especially when you're struggling, and then hey, they hang at breaking ball. Wow, I clipped it. That used to be hitting. It's not hitting anymore. So we don't have time to get into that. I want to know about Freddie Peek. Freddie p was a great clubhouse guy everywhere he's been Milwaukee, New York. Right he's come over to Tampa. He hasn't had great starts. How's he fitting in in Tampa Bay.
Speaker 2: He's fitting in flawlessly.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know Brian Anderson, the OGBA, if we want to go down that route as far as TV broadcasting, you know, he had him in Milwaukee. He was the play by play guy still is with the Brewers. And he reached out to me right away and said, I'm going to tell you right now, you're gonna love this kid, and he is going to fit into that clubhouse. It's going to be the perfect fit. And speak of that, guys, this is the other thing I'll tell you. All the years that I have been around teams down here with the Rays and even teams that I played on, this is the closest knit group that I can remember. You know, there was an off day we started the season in Saint Louis, and so the day before the game, the whole team went out to dinner. Okay, not not unheard of. Then we had the game, and then you had a Friday off. They had that built in potential weather day. On that Friday, the whole team meets in the lobby again, they go out to dinner.
Speaker 2: Fast forward to this last road trip.
Speaker 3: We have a day off in Seattle, finish up at cors fly into Seattle, have an off day down on the hotel lobby. Here come twenty twenty two of the guys all going out to dinner. It kind of unheard of. You get groups here there that go This team is as close as it gets. And when you see Freddy interacting with you know, his teammates already, You're like, yeah, they've already embraced him, and he is a complete fit for this team. And I think that that's why may the nerves of the first start in course Field for Freddy where it didn't go very well, Maybe that had a lot to do with it. But I do know that he looked much more comfortable his last time out in enough tough venue to another tough venue to pitch in in Sacramento and put up a quality start, you know, six innings, you know, the three earned runs, and look much more comfortable out on the mound than he did in Denver.
Speaker 2: So I think that he's gonna be fine.
Speaker 5: I mean, you guys couldn't have done him any favors. You make him start a Can we not start him in Seattle?
Speaker 4: Somehow? Give him a little bit of a soft landing spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, throw him into the fire, Throw him into the fire. I get it. Those are two tough places, for sure.
Speaker 5: But they won. They won every game. Ye I'm gonna ask you this, and I know you you're raised guy. Is the division over is six and a half game lead? We're almost into September. Do the Rays have a big enough lead that we can say they're gonna win the Al East?
Speaker 2: You know what? No, I don't think that the Rays want to feel that way.
Speaker 3: And I certainly don't want to feel that way that Rays have a tougher portion of their schedule coming. I think their next four or five series are against teams that currently would be in the playoffs. And maybe that doesn't mean a whole lot, because you know, the American League is so down, but yeah, I don't think it's by any stretch over at all.
Speaker 2: But I will tell you this.
Speaker 3: If you get a six and a half a seven game lead, and a week from now we're having the same conversation, you start to get into that territory where you're like, you know what if you don't win this division, then the the C word, the collapse word, maybe starts to get dropped because now you've got to you're a week closer, you know, to the end of August.
Speaker 2: You've got this big lead, and you have to you know.
Speaker 3: That's that's where they're That's the position they're putting themselves in, which is a great position to be.
Speaker 2: In, to have that kind of a lead.
Speaker 3: But I think right now they are focused on the day to day. I mean, I'm not comfortable with that leads. It's a wonderful lead, but we've seen how quickly it can go. It wasn't that long ago. The Rays have been on a really good run obviously as of late, but coming out of the All Star Break when Boston was red hot. They Boston swept them in a four game series and outscored them twenty eight to ten. And then the team goes to Toronto and loses the first game up there, so that quick five games let New York you know, right back in it, and so something like that can happen, and then you double down the final week of the season. The Rays finished the season on the road at the New York Yankees, four game series in three days with a doubleheader, and then at Philadelphia, so they've got some tough games coming up. The Yankees may still have to say if they can get down to that final week of the season, they've got the We got an off day on Monday, doubleheader Tuesday, played them Wednesday, Thursday, and then and then move it along. So at that point the Rays want to be out of reach, no question about it. But we will see there's still a tough road to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like this team. I think they'll be able to hand that. I loved the Liam Hicks addition two, which we can get into after. I had one question for you though, kind of relating back to the Yondi factor. How different is the mix this year compared to I don't know if it was last year or maybe the year before. They were public and vocal about how they didn't feel like they had the right mesh behind the scenes. We always debate that, like how much does it really matter versus the talent you have? But you follow the team every day, So can you take us through the timeline of how things changed in terms of who is running the ship from the player perspective and how that affects what you see on the field.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean I've heard the same whispers.
Speaker 3: Whatever they had was going on was something that was not I mean I never saw it. You know, you hear things, but I'm like, man on the plane of them downstairs out on the field, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You never saw that.
Speaker 3: But this iteration, and we've talked about it earlier, this team is as close. I'm telling you, I really haven't seen that for the Race. Just speaking of my time with the Race, I've never seen a more close knit team and certainly a guy that doesn't get a lot of You ask anybody around the team about who the leader of the team is and I think that it would be the guy that they nicknamed El Presidente. And and this is really strange too, because you don't typically find that kind of leadership for a team coming from a pitcher.
Speaker 2: But Nick Martinez is the glue on this team.
Speaker 3: Nick Martinez is the guy that gets all of the dinners put together, gets everything organized.
Speaker 2: He is the guy.
Speaker 3: And it was funny because he had an opportunity for his first nine inning complete game win his last time out, and after the eighth inning or after the seventh inning, Kevin Cash had gone to him and said, Hey, what do you think And He's like, do you even need to ask me?
Speaker 2: I'm finishing this game.
Speaker 3: And then after the eighth inning, you know when he's going back out there, it got a little bumpy in the ninth a couple of runs, some extra base hits, and you're thinking, oh my gosh, they're going to go get him.
Speaker 2: You're taking that shot down to the bullpen.
Speaker 3: And Kevin Kash had said after the game that that dugout wanted that complete game for him so badly. He's like, there's no way I could have gone and got him. That that's the kind of cachet that he has with his teammates where they they're gonna win the game a huge lead, but they want to see.
Speaker 2: He had one complete game in his.
Speaker 3: Career and it was the final start a couple of seasons ago when he was with Cincinnati. He lost a one nothing game in Chicago, so it was an eight inning complete game in a loss. So this was his first chance to get a nine inning complete game. Obviously with the win. And I guess that the buzz down in that dugout was he finishes, he finishes this game, and of course he did and he got it. But that is the kind of group that that has been a mass that right there, that guy right there, Nick Martinez is the un He may not even be the unherralded leader.
Speaker 2: Of this team at this point.
Speaker 3: Uh but but yeah, it's it's his close knit of a group.
Speaker 2: I think it does matter. I don't. It doesn't always necessarily have to matter.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's lots of teams throughout history where that wasn't the case. You had twenty five players, twenty five cabs after a game. We've all heard the stories. But this team, they have a special, a special bond. It's it's apparent to anybody who spends a minute around them.
Speaker 7: I think that matters too. I think that's very important for teams that want to go deep into October. You said, this lineup I think is lengthier than we're giving a credit. I think they have speed. I think they play the right way. They lay the bunts down, So I love that. The pitching. Let's say things do stay the course. Let's say they make it into postseason baseball. What are you worried about for this team? What could be the one thing that does this team in that might be something that they face. What's maybe their weakness or what can they go up against that might be the trick to beat this hot team.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the only thing that I see as an achilles heel, and this is, you know, paining with a broad brush, the huge strikeout team. As far as the pitching, you know, they're way down. They're thirteenth, fourteenth in the America League in strikeouts, and you know how important that is in the postseason.
Speaker 2: You've got to be able to miss bats.
Speaker 3: And they certainly can miss them when they need to, but that has not been something that has driven this pitching staff. They do a great job as a group, they do a great job of keeping the ball off the barrel of the bat, but they don't miss a lot of bats like other teams mighty, and so maybe that's something that you look at a big reason for that.
Speaker 2: And this is really interesting too.
Speaker 3: And you know the Rays, they don't do anything by happenstance, by chance, and so when you look at this pitching staff, because they don't have those overpowering, blow you away guys, especially in the starting rotation, they lean on the change out. Last year, the Rays used to change up a little over eleven percent of the time as a staff. This year they're up around twenty one percent. They've almost doubled their usage. And I think since all this stuff has been tracked by stat CAAT and all of that, they're using the change up more as a staff than any other team since it started being tracked like that. And so that's and it's funny because Nick Martinez kind of let the cat out of the bag earlier in the season when they were asked about that because the change up was playing such a big role. In fact, it was this, if you throw a change up, you're going to throw it more if you don't throw a change up. You're going to learn one and you're going to throw it. Drew Rasmussen, Kevin Kelly, those two guys. Kevin Kelly has taken his game to another level because now he's got two seam, sweep and change up, and he uses his change up as his second highest used pitch.
Speaker 2: And Drew Rasmussen has had.
Speaker 3: A ton of success with that change up, a pitch that he threw twenty eight total times last year. So of getting back to what Nick said, Nick was like, you know, as the league continues to search for velocity and spin and hitters do nothing but train for velocity and getting the bat out and for all the things, we're gonna be anti vlow and we're going to pull the string. And they have doubled their usage of that pitch as a staff and it has worked wonders. But going back to your point, it's not a big swing and miss strikeout staff, and so in the postseason you kind of need that. And again it's not like these guys can't go get it when they want to, but they're more than conten to go out and try to get a guy out and three pitches or fewer.
Speaker 8: I like it.
Speaker 1: I love the way they're running the misdirection be a great analysis on all of this. Great to catch up. Thank you for the time and keep watching and enjoying this. Love hearing you on there.
Speaker 2: Awesome boys. Thanks for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you Brian Anderson here them on the Rays broadcast. And also, oh yeah, I forgot Junior Camonaro shirt. It's one of my favorites. The colors just popped sweet and now it's really nice. Foul Territory shop dot com. It's available, go get it. This is that time of year, aj It is Baseball's time to shine, and it is see geeks time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best price seating and games that are even sold out available on Sea Geek.
Speaker 5: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees clubs coming up. Where's Yankees Red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to seke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later. They are just bad for baseball. Cody Stavenhagen, Tiger Territory host, then covers the Tigers for the Joining US right now. They just did an episode on this topic, and AJ has been having spirited back and forth conversations with Tigers fans about this. Cody, great to have you on and to fill everyone in. I didn't realize how big this got in the Midwest. So let's talk through this and then you can get into the nitty gritty of the team. Why are some people so upset with AJ saying how it's not the best look to be right within a playoff spot and trade away two of your five starters.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know. I'd stay away from some of that stuff.
Speaker 2: On line.
Speaker 8: People didn't like AJ's take. That's fine, And then I don't think anyone saw when you kind of tried to walk it back a little bit, right, And I just don't think anyone paid any attention to that.
Speaker 5: Cody, here's what I say. Here's you know what. I probably said it wrongly. It's a bad precedent. It wasn't about the Tigers. It wasn't about the and that's kind of what I wanted people to understand. It's just a bad precedent, right, And the Tigers did this a couple of years ago in twenty four were they traded away Flaherty and some others and they still win in the playoffs and had a night run. So it's just a bad precedent when you tell teams, hey, we're going to trade away a top five pitcher in baseball and trek school, well wherever you want to rank them.
Speaker 4: This year, he's still one of the.
Speaker 5: Top five best, okay, and a guy who you drafted one to one in case he mis. But then the American League is so crappy that they still have a chance to make it. My favorite part, though, is they're running this in Chicago radio and people were saying, Oh, AJ got the Tigers fired up. If it takes me to get your team fired up when you have the White Sox coming into town, then there's something wrong with you as a team.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, Yeah, yeah, I don't know how much that made its way through the clubhouse. I'm gonna guess not a ton. I don't think the Tigers are bad for baseball. I think the expanded playoff is bad for baseball. The Tigers are operating within the structure of a sport that has made it a lot easier to get into the playoffs and has created a lot more teams that enter the trade deadline on the bubble. It's made the deadline a little less exciting. There's less buying, there's less selling. Their teams like the Tigers who said, Okay, we have a guy in schoobl who we can get a lot or we have to move them. We don't have to trade away our whole team. And if there were only two wild card spots, they might have been more incentivized to trade away their whole team. I mean, they weren't the only team that functioned like this. The Rangers were interested in trading away Jacob de Ground but he used as no trade clause, like this is how things go, and I think this is what the expanded Playoff has created. Unfortunately, there's money tied to it and TV deals tied to it, so I don't think it's going away, but it has created a structure where it's possible for teams to sell and still be right in it. The Tigers also play in a division that just doesn't have a clear front running team. It probably should have been the Tigers, but they underachieved so badly for the first half of this season. Now now they can still win the division, and I guess that will at least ease complaints about the expanded Playoff.
Speaker 1: So where's the team currently at?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How and I'm with you that definitely can cause some of this where every team thinks they're, you know, in the fifty four percent range, everyone's favorite number. So where is this team currently at?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: How much damage can they do here to try and make a postseason spot? Right? And then even could they surprise some people in October without schoogle in mice because people are going to refall in love with Jackson Job and Dre Anderson.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we'll see right, I mean, I think they are a very real threat to make the playoffs. At the time we're talking about this, they are the owners of a wild card spot. They're playing their best baseball the year, and I think their rotation is for real. I think Troy Melton is for real. Cater Montero has been very good. Jackson job has nasty stuff we're talking about from Bravaldez is maybe their fourth best starting pitcher right now, and although he's been kind of a letdown, he's still capable of going in and giving you six or seven really good innings any time he steps on the mound. The lineup's been hot lately. There's been a big youth movement. You're seeing guy Max Clark and Wardo Valencia. How you Lee contribute. Riley Green just went to the IL, so that could be pretty costly. We'll see if they can stay hot. I think that's the one thing. If there's a cool down coming, that could hurt them. And then the bullpen's really interesting because you look at it and they have the sixth best bullpen in the ra in baseball, but you still don't feel a lot of confidence when you're navigating the seventh, eighth, ninth inning I think they still have the second most blown saves in the American League. There's some advanced metrics like when probability added that aren't aren't favorable of this bullpen. You don't have a lot of confidence. But yet they have managed to get out and do enough to win a lot of games here in recent weeks.
Speaker 5: All right, Cody, I'm going full Homer here. You know when they're hot, streak ends today because you know they're playing They're playing.
Speaker 4: The White Sox, so it's going to end today.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: Here's my thing.
Speaker 5: Here's the other thing about the Tiger fans that they were telling And I want your I want your opinion. If I could be way off on this, and Kip, Kip and I have had this conversation.
Speaker 4: When you're a player, you play to win the World Series. Your whole goal is to win the World Series.
Speaker 5: And when Tiger fans have been coming at me, fine, bring it on, Tiger fans. I love Detroit. I actually love the Tiger. You know this, Cody, I actually do. I love Hinch, I love Scott Harris. I love going to Detroit. It's one of my favorite places, believe it or not, to actually go. I've spent so much time there, I know where to go. And I love Detroit, Okay, I love the Shinola Hotel, and I love all that downtown, the New area.
Speaker 4: It's awesome.
Speaker 5: Okay, But when you trade away Trek Scooble and Casey Mice, and I know all the guys Melton and all these guys job and Fromber and all these guys have been really good. But do your chances of winning the World Series actually improve by trading them away? Or if you kept them and you make the playoffs and you have schoobl and Mice, would it be better? And Tiger fans are like, We're so happy we got rid of schoobl He's a cancer, mys was always hurt.
Speaker 4: We're a better team. Now. Do you believe they're a better team without those two if they get into the postseason.
Speaker 8: No, they're not a better team without Trek's Scouoble, especially in the postseason. For anyone who's like, oh, well, they only threw ninety nine pitches in Game five, I don't know. Ninety nine pitches is a lot in today's game. Their odds of winning the World Series went down the moment they traded Trek Scooble, and the front office knows that, and they made a calculated decision. I think they said, Okay, we might not win the World Series this year, We're still give it our best college try. But they hoped trading him away improved their World Series odds for twenty twenty seven and twenty twenty eight and twenty twenty nine. That's the job of the front office is to balance the short term and the long term. They may not get everything right and that that was a hard decision with Scooble, and I think if they would have played even a little bit better, they wouldn't have traded him. But they ultimately viewed viewed it as it was probably irresponsible to keep Schooble for what especially at the time and even still now, it was like an outside chance of making a run, right, It would have been a big gamble to sacrifice part of your future. They chose. They chose to take the return.
Speaker 2: For the teacher.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go Homer again here too, And it'd be a real shame if Cleveland caught both those teams and figured it back out instead of shooting themselves in the foot a little bit. But I'm just going through the injured list right now for you guys with Riley Green, the hamstring, Outman, Carpenter, Verlaine Flarity, who is eligible to come off their earliest and who do you want to see come back? Who's going to give this team the biggest jolt back? Where are they missing the most off of this right now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, we'll see. I'm not sure any of those guys are like knocking on the door of a return. James Outman's on the concussion, I l Jack Flaherty has been like increasing his throwing, but to my knowledge, not yet doing bullpens or anything like that. Riley Green is really the big loss, and he just went on the IL a couple days ago. We'll see. You know, it's a hammy. They think it's mild. Sometimes those things linger. You don't want that to become a thing where suddenly you're without Riley Green into September. That could be scary because he's still a huge part of this lineup. It'd be nice to get Kerry Carpenter back too, because your lineup just functions a little better when he's in there, and you can do the pinch hit and you can make decisions on the opposing manager hard, but he's got planar fasci itis. That's kind of a weird injury that you also never really know how long it's going to take. As of earlier this week, he wasn't running yet, So I don't think any of these guys are going to be back like within the week. Oddly enough, this is like the healthiest the Tigers have been all year, and they're still without maybe two of their better hitters. And Riley Green and carry Carpenter.
Speaker 1: Science experiment for the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and pour some powder into my water, shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 5: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free steavy of free keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 1: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q u i ncee dot com slash fu l for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 5: Hey, by the way, don't mess with the fast okay, Cody, because if you haven't never had it. I've had it free, yeah, and I don't want it the other day. It sucks, man, it absolutely sucks. You try different shoes, you try different everything, sleeping with boots on and all this different stuff, and it's like nothing. Every time you think you fixed it, boom it pops up again. So don't be making fun of Kerry Carboner for having Planner fasciiis.
Speaker 8: Oh, no way, don't. I don't mess with that stuff. I haven't had it and I do not want it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's awful. It's one of the worst things. Worth worst injuries you can have because you can't ever fit. It's like we never fixed, it never goes away. So I don't know, I don't know. I digress.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to get into injuries because can't you can't test anyone's playing Tallerance.
Speaker 4: He just never You never ever know where we're gonna go. Cody.
Speaker 5: What else in the offense? Torklesen, where's he at? I mean, Dylan Dingler has been a stud. He's put himself probably in the top two or three catchers in baseball at the years he year he's had this year? What about the offense? Hovey Bayaz has been quietly better? Right, So where does the Tigers offense? If these guys don't come back, where do they turn?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I would say Dylan Dingler has been the top one catcher in baseball this year. He's been unbelievable. He has cooled off a little bit, you know, like one for his last twenty two, but he's having a phenomenal year. Torkleson's been really good lately, coming back since the All Star Break. He's kind of changed his approach. He's taken more singles. He only has like one holder in that time. But this is a guy with big natural power. I don't think anyone should be worried about his home run power. He is suddenly looking like the most complete, the most well rounded I've ever seeing him at the plate. He's using the whole field a little more. He's still covering the fastball, but he's saying curveballs. He's hitting off speed, you know, for bass hits. You look at the launch angle sweet spot. He ranks in the ninety ninth percentile, which basically just means he's hitting a lot of line drives. Like I said, using the whole field better than ever. It could be pretty huge if he could continue to do anything remotely like this, because he's a hitter who's been pretty boom or bust for most of his major league career, and suddenly he's looking like that more well rounded guy he was drafted to be. Kevin mcgonagall's just a tear guys. Kevin McGonagall leads the American League in war according to Baseball Reference. Like he is a rookie, he is twenty one years old. Not enough people are talking about that. He is one of those guys who comes up and it feels like every time he steps to the plate, He's going to hit the ball hard somewhere. Totally changes the complexion of the Tigers order and the contributions they've been getting from young guys. Max Clark has come up and held his own. This guy at Wardo Valencia, most fans probably haven't heard him. He has a twelve hundred ops through his first sixteen career games like he can hit the ball a long way. How you lead, and so it's become a younger lineup and we will see. I think the league is going to start adjusting. They already have to lee to Clark to Valencia. Can those guys hold their own once they start getting pitched a little bit tougher. I think that's a big question to watch for the next six weeks here now.
Speaker 7: As hitters, we're taught to put the ball in play. Good things happen when you put the ball in play. No strikeout, shutout done by you guys. That is impressive. That means twenty seven guys are putting the ball in play and nothing's happening from him. I didn't get to watch the game, but I mean obviously followed along. What was that like to see just where everybody's hitting it, but nothing's coming from it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was pretty interesting. I mean, there was a lot of weak context, so it didn't feel like complete luck. But then you look back, not only did the Tigers not strike anyone out, They're pitching staff induced only two whiffs, only two swings and misses the entire game. Cater Montero got them. Both batters swung thirty seven times against them, they only swung and miss twice. That's kind of a staple of this Guardenans lineup. They don't swing and miss a lot. They make it tough on you. I don't think you could replicate that. I mean, Montero did a good job being aggressive throwing strikes. Bopen came in and did their job, Tyler holding in Kinley Jansen, But I don't think that's the recipe you're really looking for. There's a reason no one had done that in baseball since twenty fourteen. It does require some pretty unreal badmitball luck.
Speaker 4: Cody.
Speaker 5: By the way, it's nice that you're talking about Kevin McGonagall, but too bad he's not gonna be.
Speaker 4: Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 5: It's fine so having a great year, though it's not gonna be Rookie of the year.
Speaker 4: That's it. You know who is? It's fine, we all know who's going to be the rookie the year.
Speaker 8: Look, Murray Comedy can hit the ball. A long wait there respect for that guy. Like Kevin McGonagall leads baseball in war at twenty one, Like, come on now, Hel, I.
Speaker 4: Know he Murk Comy's in the eighty Oh Scott, don't you know?
Speaker 1: I'm saying McGonagall doesn't leave baseball in war. PCA does as far as I know. Yeah, but markami is I think way behind McGonagall in that category. And guess what, aj he brings it up for good reason. Many of his colleagues in the BBWAA vote with War in mind. It is a very critical stat is it, not, Cody.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 8: We may be at this rate, we may be going back to the Miguel Cabrera Mike Trout debate, because who's going to win the al the al MVP. We have jord On Alvarez, who might win the triple crown, all right, so pretty hard to knock that. But right now McGonagall and Dingler are right up there in War. There there will be a case. I think there will be at least one Tiger getting some serious MVP votes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, top three for sure.
Speaker 5: If jord On Alvarez doesn't win the MVP and you win the Triple Crown and they make the postseason, there's something wrong with all you BBWA people.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, there's some there's some wrong. I love you guys, but there's something wrong with y'all for sure. And by the way, Cooper Wallas has the same war as Kyle Schwarber, just saying I saw that tweet last night, so that's pretty pretty amazing that I don't know.
Speaker 4: Taylor Wall. Sorry, sorry, not Cooper Wall. Sorry Taylor Walls. Yeah, the same as the same war.
Speaker 8: That really was going to be amazing because I was like, I don't know who Cooper Walls is.
Speaker 4: Apparently neither do I, so it's fine.
Speaker 1: That is a crazy stat though, Cody, good stuff man, Thank you, and much more of course on the recent Tiger Territory episode, which I encourage everyone to check out. Also check out Cody's articles in The Athletic. But thank you, Cody.
Speaker 8: All right, thanks guys, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And here it is Tiger Territory QR code on the screen. If you want to be lazy and just smack that and then it'll take you right to it.
Speaker 2: Go check it out.