Speaker 1: Handy Tech Tips for your iPhone, pulled straight from the pages of my new book, What's going On? I'm Rich Dmiro. This is Rich on Tech. Recently, I had a conversation with my pal, Jennifer jones Lee over at KFI AM six forty on her show wake Up Call. If you guys listen to me regularly, you know him on KFI AM six forty on Wednesday mornings. Talking with Jennifer. This week we talked about my brand new book, one hundred and one Handy Tech Tips for the iPhone. Thanks to everyone that's already expressed interest or purchased a copy. I know that you guys are learning some great tips for the iPhone. Here is the conversation I had with Jennifer Jones Lee on wake Up Call, which airs weekday mornings from five to six am on KFI AM six forty in Los Angeles. Enjoy.
Speaker 2: He's no longer just Katla's tech guru. No. Now he's author Rich Demiro, who joins us to talk about his new book. It's called one hundred and one Handy Tech Tips for the iPhone. Rich, good morning and congratulations.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning to Jennifer. Thanks so much and I'm glad to share this with you and you're listeners.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, anybody who has an iPhone, I think we all think that we know it pretty darn well. I think we all figured that our muscle memory on that thing is, you know, one hundred percent. But then I read through just a few of your tips and I went, oh, my gosh, I had no idea my iPhone could do any of that.
Speaker 3: And that's the beauty of what Apple's built here. And this is why I wrote the book, because when I see people using their phone, yeah, we know the basics. You know how to send a text message, you know how to take a picture, you know how to send that picture to someone. When it really comes to unlocking kind of all these little hidden features that Apple has built in, that's what the book is about. And because here's the deal. Apple wanted to make the iPhone as easy to use as possible, and they did an amazing job because there is no manual that comes inside the box. Right, you get this thing and you just press that start button and that's it. You're off and running. But if you want to take a little deeper dive and kind of make your phone work a little bit better for you. That's what my tips are all about. I've got so many of them in the book. You know, I've been using the iPhone for a decade. I was there at the original launch back in two thousand and seven in New York City, and you know, even I learned some stuff. I was I was kind of taking a deeper dive into this device.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like changing the settings that you never take the time to change, or looking at those little features that you really never kind of discover unless you need that.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing. When I was going over the list, I thought, I never even think I thought to wonder whether that could be changed on a few things. So let's start out with those notifications. There is a way. This is tip number two. I mean, we're starting right from the beginning here. How to clear out all your notifications all at once.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so most of us collect a bunch of notifications on our screen and they kind of become a graveyard of notifications. And you can clear them out one by one by swiping them and pressing clear, or you can trust that little X and clear out day by day. But if you press a little bit harder on that X above, some of your notifications. It'll come up with a new message that says clear all notifications, and then you tap that and it'll clear all your notifications at once, and you can get rid of them, clean up your home screen, and move on with your luck.
Speaker 2: Now, let me ask you a question. It's not like you have to download any new software anything. All of this is built.
Speaker 3: Right in, right, Yes, And that's what I wanted to do with this book is make it so that you can unlock the hidden features of the iPhone, stuff that's already built in that I'm not telling you, Oh, by the way, you need to download this new app to accomplish this feature. No, no, this is all stuff that is built into Apple's operating system. Like how to turn your phone into a magnifying glass. This is tip number five. Now I shared this on TV. I think it was last year. We might have talked about it on the radio. This was a top tip and it's still getting a lot of traction. You go into Settings, you go into General, you go into accessibility, and there's a feature called magnifier. You've flipped that on and then you press your home button on your phone three times, or if you have an iPhone, ten. You press that side button three times, and immediately your phone becomes a magnifying glass. You can use it to look at menus, you can use it to you check out what's going on on the bill, see the secret writing on there. But it's just one of those features that's really simple and built into your phone.
Speaker 2: Everybody over forty it wants to hug you right now for telling them that when they forget their readers when they go to a restaurant. Okay, what about changing the brightness of the flashlight. This is one of those where I thought I never even thought to question whether or not you could do that.
Speaker 3: Neither did I until I started researching the book, and I'm like, wait a second, Apple is so sneaky. So yeah, we all know how to flick the flashlight on and off. You press that little flashlight button. Well, if you go into your control panel, which if you have a iPhone, a regular iPhone, you swipe up from the bottom, or if you have an iPhone ten, you swipe down from the right hand of the screen at the top. Well, if you hard press the flashlight instead of just tapping it, next thing you know, you get this a little slider and you can adjust the flashlight twenty five percent fifty seventy one hundred percent. Now, I will admit I did not even know this until I started researching the book, and I said, this is so brilliant. When you're in a restaurant looking at that menu, you don't have to put it at one hundred percent and blind everyone around you.
Speaker 2: That is fan. Everybody right now listening who sits around a forty five year old is thanking you for that little tip as well.
Speaker 3: Fifty seven is excellent for your audience. And like myself, who wakes up really early, if you use the iPhone alarm to wake up, it is so jarring. Yeah, just get you right up. Well, guess what if you use the feature on the iPhone called bedtime. This is next to the alarm, it's in the talk functionality. But if you set your alarm using that function, guess what. Your alarm wakes you up gradually, So your volume of your alarm kind of eases you into the day. And I find that much more gentle in trying to wake up than that blaring alarm.
Speaker 2: I'm going along with you as we do this on my iPhone, and everything you are saying is completely spot on. I'm telling you go pick this book up, because what he is saying right now is all stuff that you can do. And I am the least tech savvy person that I know, and rich that you are making this completely user friendly. Okay, now here's one I actually need to do this today. I got sent like a form last night that I need to go ahead and sign. How do I scan and sign a document on my iPhone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you've ever used docu sign, you know you've gotten that email where you click it and do that. Well, you can do that similar functionality right on your phone with any document. So let's say someone has a piece of paper. You go into notes, you can pose a new note and right in the keyboard, you'll notice there's a plus sign. You press that plus sign and you'll bring up an option that says scan document. Next thing, you know, your iPhone turns into like basically a document scanner. It takes a great picture of the document, it puts it in PDF form. Then you add there's another little plus sign that pops up. You press that and you can add your signature, and if you want, your iPhone will actually store your signature. So if you have a lot of contracts that you sign over and over. Yeah, a lot of paperwork. Your iPhone can just insert your signature and then you can send it off as a PDF. This is one of the handiest tips ever. And I tested this one with my wife when I was writing this book. She asked me, I said, you said, hey, I have to sign this document. I said, hold on, let me send you the section of my book that I just wrote, and I'll see if you can follow the directions. And she is not a tech wizard, she's tech average, which most people are. And she followed the instruction, She signed the document, sent it off, and she said, oh, my gosh, that was so awesome. And I said, yes, I'm excited for you because I sus this book is going to work.
Speaker 2: Okay, This next one is one that I think all of us have gotten on a plane and thought, Okay, you know how you're packing beforehand, and you're making sure that you have everything that you need for your trip or your flight or whatever it happens to be. But how many times have you gotten on the plane and thought, oh, shoot, I forgot to download a movie, or right, I forgot to download a game or whatever. Turns out there's already stuff on our phones.
Speaker 3: Yes, And this has happened to me so many times. And I'm you know, like I said, I'm a tech tech, a little bit above average when it comes to the tech.
Speaker 2: You're a wizard.
Speaker 3: And even though I've gotten on a plane and said, oh no, I forgot to download anything, Well, here's an easy way to check to see, you know, if you have some movies that you think are on your phone. Because when you look at your movies or TV section of your phone, Apple is doing it's pulling everything out of iCloud, so it's showing that those are available, and you can press play if you have Wi Fi and they'll start playing. But as soon as you get on the airplane where there's no Wi Fi, next thing you know you have nothing downloaded. What I say is flip your plane into airplane mode while you're at home and while you're looking at your iTunes library on your phone, and that will reveal exactly which movies are actually downloaded to your phone. Most often you'll find that there's nothing there. And so now you can go back in and say, okay, let me download a movie, and you press that little cloud download button next to a movie that you've purchased, and it will actually download your phone. And that's a good one because that's saved me a couple times.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, and probably save some money along the way too, so you don't have to log into the plane's Wi Fi, which is like eight or ten bucks every time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, what about that canceling a subscription? You can do that too. You've got a tip for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, Jen, this one's really easy to find. This is tip number sixty six. I should say easy to find in my book. But here's how you find it. On your phone. You go into iTunes, you go into show Apple ID, you go are you scroll down to see your Apple ID. Then you go to view Apple ID. Then you sign in, Then you go to account settings, and then you go to subscriptions. Now you think you'd ever find that on your own, No, probably not. And this is the thing. You sign up for a little subscription on your iPhone and you don't cancel it for at least two to three cycles after you actually want to cancel it. Because it's so tough to find that cancel subscription. So people ask me this all the time. I put it out in the book so you can find those subscriptions. You can go through and say, okay, let me clean up my subscriptions once and for all and save some money, because yeah, I get it, it's nine nine cents two ninety nine a month. Whatever. But the reality is, why have something that you are paying for that you're not using and that adds.
Speaker 2: Up ninety nine cents here and there and whatever turns into you've got ten twenty of those. That's an extra twenty bucks a month you're not even thinking about.
Speaker 3: That's my book paid for. Right.
Speaker 2: There is one more last tip before you go. You have a way to set up an emergency ID. This one sounds really.
Speaker 3: Important, yeah, and a lot of people don't take the time to do this. Now here's the thing. If someone fins you in an accident or whatever, no, they're not going to look at your iPhone first thing to find your emergency contact information, right, But if you're in the hospital you find yourself in a situation where someone needs to get in touch with someone that loves you or knows you, this will come in handy and I show you how to do it. You go into the health app and you set up your emergency contacts and once you do that if you ever dial nine one one on your phone using the Emergency SOS feature, these contacts will actually get a text message with your location constantly updated until you turn it off.
Speaker 2: No kidding. That is brilliant.
Speaker 3: Plus, someone can look at your homes or your lock screen and find this contact information. They can't unlock your phone, but they can see what blood type you have, if you have any allergies, what type of medications you might be allertic to, any special medical instructions. And again, first responders may not look at this information, but I did look at some websites where people were discussing this, and they said that in hospitals this does come in handy sometimes where they will look at this section of the iPhone to see, hey, who can we call for this person to get in contact with a loved one or a family member.
Speaker 2: That sounds crucial to have. Rich Your book is called one hundred one handy tech Tips for the iPhone. Congratulations again on this accomplishment. And if you have an iPhone and you haven't gotten Rich's book, I don't know what you're waiting for because you just heard you know ten things or so that I know you didn't know about your iPhone this morning, So where can they find it?
Speaker 3: You can go to Amazon and search one hundred and one handy tech tips. Or you can go to my website rich on tech dot tv and just look for it there. It's right at the top of the page. You can get it for like I said, the kindle, you can get it for iBooks. You can print it out as a PDF if you want to do that. I've made it really easy to get it in every format possible to make it and just enjoy it. You know, I've been getting a lot of feedback from yesterday. All the people have purchased it, and you know, it's all been positive, so that's a good thing. I think people are really finding some great stuff in here, and I'm happy to get these tips out there.
Speaker 2: Congratulations Rich all right, we'll talk to you again next week.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Jennifer, see you later.
Speaker 2: That's KTLA's rich Tomiro Find his book rich on tech a TV.