Speaker 1: The volume, hunger strikes and you're exhausted. What to do well with Factor? It's never a problem. Factor is fully prepared meals, designed by dietitians and crafted by chefs. They're great delivered right to your door. Factor has meals built around your goals, whether that's weight loss, overall nutrition, more protein or GLP one support for strength and workout recovery. Check out Factors Muscle pro Collection, Fresh Never Frozen, over one hundred rotating weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean and Asian, so there's always something to look forward to. Ready in a couple of minutes. That's it. Two minutes. Factor shops, preps, cooks and deliver straight to your door. You have more time for everything else you love in your life, so we use Factor. You should too. Head to Factor Meals dot com slash colin fifty. That's Factor Meals dot com slash colin fifty and use that code callin fifty to get half off and free daily greens per box with new subscription only, while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty twenty six. All right, if you turn into this podcast and I looked like one of the Beatles. It's because I've been wearing a baseball hat all day at Bears practice. So I apologize for that. But I still have that smooth, silky, rich professional broadcaster of voice, which you know I always lean in. Not as nice as Danny Parkins, who was I was talking about with one of the pr people for the Bears today about Danny Parkins and I do in the podcast Chicago Boy. So I went to the practice. There was a massive storm, so they moved it indoors. And the first thing I was looking for is everybody said Caleb Williams lost fifteen pounds. So I talked to him after practice. He said thirteen. But there was a breakdown on one play and he moved left. And I am not joking. He looked like a wide receiver. He was always a good runner, he is. He looked so fast and he was out like the corners had angles and they couldn't they couldn't, they couldn't catch up on the angle. And I was like, and you know why I lost weight. He wants to be faster, right, he wants to everybody's faster in the sport. The second thing that jumped out Danny is and it was noticeable. And I talked to Ben Johnson after practice. He's much tighter like post practice during practice, accuracy it's different. He's always been a little bit of a streaky accuracy guy, like he'll be great in the fourth struggling in the second, but his speed was noticeable. He's much tighter with his accuracy. I was just kind of blown away. The offense dominated practice as far as I can tell.
Speaker 2: So first, I mean, it's rare for offenses to dominate defenses early in training camp, right, Normally, like offense is more timing, defense is more just like pure reaction and athleticism. So normally defenses are ahead of offenses early. But the Bears offense needs to dominate because their defense is not very good and they've invested a ton on the offensive side of the ball with draft capital, with head coaching, HighRes et cetera. So like it's good that the offense is beating the Bears defense, Like the if the Bears are going to win, they're going to be doing it with the top ten, maybe top five offense in the sport. So like that that's that to me, It was like a prerequisite, like they need to be beating the Bears defense in camp slimmed down Caleb like faster Caleb is a scary thought for the league. Oh because it looked so he looked like a wide receiver. Great, bring it on and listen. I people have been like like the producers on the show, and like, let's do the like are the Bears a regression candidate? Topic? Like, it doesn't offend me to suggest that the Bears could regress. You have to be good in order to be a regression candidate, Like the Rams are a regression candidate, The Patriots are a regression candidate. The Broncos are a regression candidate. The offensive line will not be as healthy, they will not lead the league in takeaways, they will not have seven fourth quarter comebacks. I agreed, agreed, agreed, point conceded, Point conceded, point conceited. But if you have one of the most talented quarterbacks on Earth with one of the best offensive coaches on Earth, and it's year two of them together, that's when the jump happens. Like, that's when the leap happens. So you know how you can cover up for areas of obvious regression by Caleb being awesome and the Bears offense being awesome, which is fully what I expect to happen for the Bears this year.
Speaker 1: Well, we all know it's a quarterback coach league, and it was Albert Breer was standing next to me during the practice and we were talking about this. We're like, there's not that many combinations where you have a coach that everyone agrees that's an elite coach and a quarterback everybody goes that's an elite quarterback talent. You have Vrabel, Josh McDaniel who runs the offense, and Drake May Harbor, Herbert McVeigh and an older Stafford. I think Dan Campbell and golf qualify is very respected both sides. It's like, okay, Ben Johnson and Caleb and then you start saying, well, Kyle Shanahan, I don't think Brock Purdy is I think Brock Purty is efficient. I don't think he's in the Herbert class. Now I would have said Demko Ryan c J. Stroud, but c J. Stroud regressed badly last year. So the reality is now now there's an argument, Matt Stafford, Jordan Love they've had bad Septembers that they probably in that class. Ye, Matt Leafleur, Jordan Love. But there's about eight of them, nine of them in the league. In Chicago's one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, I think that. Like, so I covered the Chiefs when Andy Reid got to Kansas City.
Speaker 1: And I want to read Mahomes right exactly and one of the things, but I was there before Mahomes got there.
Speaker 2: But one of the things, like when I really dug into Andy Reid that was so impressive was like, man, look at all of these different guys who had their best season with Andy Reid. Sure, Donovan McNabb, Alex Smith, but also Jeff Garcia, Kevin Cobb, Mike Vick. It was like, whatever level of quarterback talent you had, when you got with that coach, you had your best season or seasons. Then he got the homes and it was five thousand yards, fifty touchdowns, MVP's super Bowls, like the great offensive minds. So yeah, brock Perty is an elite processor. He's very accurate, but he doesn't have the biggest arm. He's not the biggest, he's not the fastest, he's not the strongest. When you but like when you have Kyle Shanahan, your floor is really high. But like I have no doubt Kyle Shanahan traded three first round picks to try to go get Trey Lance, like he he wanted the elite, super talented player because if you can blend, if you can blend the ninety nine percent talent with the ninety nine percent coach, that's when you get MVPs and Super Bowls. And I think that's what Stafford and McVeigh have shown, That's what Reid and Mahomes have shown, and I think that's what Ben Johnson and Caleb are going to show. I think that Ben Johnson is in that McVeigh Shanahan some level of coach.
Speaker 1: And by the way, like.
Speaker 2: I'm a little closer to that one. I have somewhat of a relationship with Ben Johnson, not much, but like he's been on the show, we text a little bit whatever. Like I think, if you're a Jaguars fan, you're hoping that Liam Cohen is also in that group. He helped Baker Mayfield, He got you, you know, Trevor Lawrence to have one of his best season ever and be a top seven MVP guy. Like I'm not saying there's only three or four of them, but if you have top flight offensive coaching mind who is a play caller, and that gives you stability of system and all of it, and then you inject them with top flight talent. I just think your floor is so damn high as an offense in a football team that I don't think there's many outcomes where it can be a disaster or the team could be bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was interesting. They drafted this kid out of Stanford, Sam Rouch, who was viewed as a blocking tight end. First of all, it's just he he looks like an NFL eight year tight end. He is a big, strong It's like, oh, he'll play.
Speaker 2: They want to move, they want they want to be the leaders in the trend right of two and three tight end sets. And you know, if you put small guys on the field, we will run at you. If you put big guys on the field, we will pass at you. Like they they want to be among the leaders in that evolution of football. So here's an interesting one. This whole Sophie Cunningham story is really interesting. I know, yeah, well we can right right turn.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot of times and in my morning meeting, this is a big discussion. What's a topic and what's just a hot topic on the internet. And I think, you know, I've said before, I think one of the things our show does well, we talk about what the country's talking about. But you can get fooled very quickly talking about what the internet is talking about. So when it comes to like trans athletes, you know, listen, it's it's captivating on certain platforms, but on mainstream cable television, you know, on broadcast TV, how many trans athletes are playing in the WNBA zero. So it's like, what is it as a topic. Then Sophie Cunningham, who works at the Volume, you know, says, you know, I didn't think it was that explosive, but it's a topic that is just explosive, and she brings it up. But it was interesting because I asked my wife about it yesterday and she's like, I have no idea what you're talking about. And I'm like, right, like, so, I'm like, yeah, And my wife doesn't love sports, but she no If I said to her, oh, you know, if somebody got traded, she's like, oh, I know, it's all over. Plus her sons are at you know, sports lovers, and I'm her husband, so she's got some sense of it. But what's interesting I mean about the whole thing is I texted somebody the other day. I said, in my life, good leaders who I've worked with or for have one thing in common. Sometimes they go to Ivy League schools. Sometimes they are going to Jayc's. It's not an education thing. They're really good leaders. Take little campfires and don't allow them to be infernos, like they're always a step ahead. George Bodenheim or ESPN. I've talked about he just ESPN every day you had something right, like you have to put fires out and on this trans topic for the WNBA, like you could see it coming down the road, and like players talking about it, and I feel like Kathy Engelbert, it's like now they're reeling now. I mean, Sophie Cunningham basically gets closed line that looked like Bill Lambier going after Kurt Rambus. So now you've got You've got a lot of this stuff like player on player owners screaming at fans for the Seattle storm. And my big takeaway on this is, Jesus, could you guys get ahead of anything. You're just constantly playing catchup. And I do wonder if it were just reached a point where listen, we got to get a new commissioner in here. Adam Stilber's like, we got to get a new commissioner. The league's exploded. She's just not built for it. But I felt like that Seattle Storm owner the Clothesline hit on Sophie Cunningham'm like, guys, you're just you're in reaction mode every third day.
Speaker 2: The last time we talked about the WNBA on this podcast, I said the thing as a not daily, weekly, monthly WNBA viewer, but just a viewer of sport who likes big same into big events, in big games, and like everyone was swept up in Caitlin Clark and all of that. But I'm not claiming to be a WNBA expert, but just as a I would say, an expert of media and sport. It's very clear that they have outgrown their leadership. Like that's what I said to you the last time we were on, which was six news cycles ago, probably talking about it. I agree with you, they've outgrown their leadership. This story, though, it really does make me mad because the people who are pretending to care about it are doing so just so transparently out of self interest slash motivation for like to cash in on the commerce of rage. Like you said, it is not one of the ten to twenty to fifty biggest issues facing mainstream people in America, right, inflation, wars, whatever, There's a million things going on. And then you have these people that were so adamant that athletes needed to stick to sports when they were talking about topics that they didn't like, But now when they see a topic that they feel like benefits politically their side of the aisle, well, why isn't Caitlin Clark speaking out for Sophie Cunningham And why is't Kathy Ingelber doing this in the WNBA should do this? And they did it. You don't care, You don't actually care. And so it's just it's so transparently transactional that it really does to me bring out like the worst in all of us and in common terry, and I just it bums me out, like on like a like a human level, because like, again I'm not a huge WNBA fan or consumer, but objectively it's going well, record attendance, record ratings, record, Uh.
Speaker 1: The quality of play is better than a decade ago. The quality of plays.
Speaker 2: Much like a franchise valuation, expansion investors, superstar talent across the league in number of places, like it's objectively going, well, it's a basketball league with great basketball that is gaining in popularity and money. And then they so then these just like people just try to siphon out the joy to feed into culture war stuff that it just it makes it it makes it so that the basketball is so secondary or tertiary that it it bums me off for people who are actual legitimate WNBA fans, because I do wonder like maybe they have to walk past a protest walk into an arena, but then they go to an arena and they watch great basketball and they leave happy, and it's like, are we just we're just bringing the worst of the internet front and center and it just it feels like the league and its fans deserve so much better.
Speaker 1: Well, also, just because Caitlin Clark and I did an essay this week, I saw this just because Caitlin. Just because Caitlin Clark did not want to talk about an issue that Sophie brought up, it doesn't mean they're not close or great teammates. I mean, like Michael Jordan was a political Tiger Woods a political Lebron James Moore political, it's like you can be best for I have friends that are hyper political. I'm not. I'm kind of agnostic. I'm a social liberal, fiscal moderate to conservative. I don't talk about it that much. I do think there was a moment, I'll say you an interesting moment. This was a month before the Trump Kamala Harris, Uh yeah. I'm at a club called the nine hundred Club in Manhattan Beach. It's a nine hundred member club, very much hoodies and tennis shoes. But it's like where you go if you're a local during the summer. It gets packed. You know, it's very terurist that you go inside and it's just a watering hole, real nice, like a lot of sports. You go watch a UFC fight or a college football game on Saturday. It's my favorite place in the world. And it was about a month before the election. And when I go there, you know, everybody's asking we talk sports, Yes, that's what you talk. Maybe your kid's doing something, and it was really instructive. I was sitting there a month for the election and it's like eight guys and I'm about ready to go. Two beers get in my car, drive a mile, go home, and somebody brings up, you know, a couple of young like eighth grade basketball, eighth ninth grade basketball in Orange County, which is the southern county south of La County, Orange County, like kind of legendary for a couple of TV shows, reality shows right La Counties, Hollywood and stuff, Dodgers Stadium, usc All, that stuff. So somebody brings up their friend had a daughter that played against a team that had some trans athletes and that the biological boys just dominated. And I sat there for fifteen minutes and I didn't say a word because I was you know, you and I observe a lot for a living, Like we talk a lot on the air, but off the air, we observe two talk. And it was so visceral and so intense. I remember getting in my car going home that night and telling Anne, like, I think Trump's gonna win. I've never seen guys get so worked up. Here's like forty five year old, fifty year old guys. We just don't talk politics in that place. We talked sports, family, Hey, where'd you go on vacation? You know, it's just a beer games are on and so I do think if you have daughters who play in sports, I think it becomes much more personal. I don't my stepdaughters are like, they'll ski, you know, they'll do that kind of stuff. They're not team sports kids. But I do think if I had four daughters and I was living in it, i'd probably have I'd be I'd have a more emotional response. My kids aren't, you know, they golf, they ski, they don't do team sports. So for me, it's like I asked my wife, Like I told you, I asked my wife about it this week. She's like, I don't know what you're talking about. It's just done a topic in our house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, man, I don't know. I just maybe I'm naive. I do not think that what is happening is that a bunch of people are transitioning to get a leg up in sports. Like I just I don't. I don't think that that is like a the motivation or the end goal or anything like that. And I think that this is, like I said, I think it is a win politically for one side to amplify it, to make it seem like a much, much, much bigger issue than it is. Not saying that there are not incidents where it is an issue. Not saying that it is not something that should be addressed with common sense, just I think that empathy and common sense should carry the day. And the idea that this is some sort of like I don't know, national crisis, I just I just reject it on its merits. Like again, I would say to people who really like, I think that a bigger issue in the trans world of again issues, I'm saying that awkwardly, I apologize, would be like Google's suicide rate among trans people feels like a bigger deal to me than the high school sports team feels like a bigger deal. And I just we don't get anywhere near that amount of coverage because it's that's not a political winner. So and again, the most obvious point to make is the people who wanted athletes to stick to sports now when it's an issue that the AC is a win for their side, don't want them to stick to sports at all, which just makes the whole thing so transparently pathetic. It's just bullshit. It's just utter and complete bullshit.
Speaker 1: Today's show brought to you by hard Rock Bet Sportsbook. Some sports fans call this the slow time of the year, but on Hard Rock Bet we call it baseball season. This summer, Hard Rock Bet has the hottest betting odds in Florida, introducing the ten cent summer sale, big juice fee whatever you call it, cutting our cut on winners, spreads and over under pregame baseball bet, same BET's better odds. If you're ready to step into the batter's box, sign up today hard Rock Bet five dollars bet. If it wins, you get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets on top of your winnings. That's right, an extra buck fifty in your account. And sure. Hard Rock Bet is Florida's only legal sportsbook. But you don't have to be in Florida to join the party. Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Tennessee, Indiana, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois, and Michigan. More states on the way. So grab your bat and swing for the fences all August long during Hard Rock Bets ten cents Summer Sale. Download the hard Rock that app today. Roll with Us offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida offered by Seminoal hard Rock Digital, LLC.
Speaker 2: And all other.
Speaker 1: States must be twenty one plus and physically president. In Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia. Play terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight three three play wise. In Indiana, if you are somebody you know as a gambling problem wants help, call what eight hundred and nine with it. In Arizona, Ohio, Virginia, call one eight hundred My reset gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler. We now are early August. Yeah, and Sean McVay ruined the NFL preseason because he stopped playing any of his starters and everybody said, huh, they will be soft and they went eight to o and everybody's like, yeah, that was stupid, let's stop. And then so the preseason isn't what it used to be. There's you know, I'm interested, although he's not going to start week one. I do think the Fernando Mendoza story is interesting, but he's not going to start week one, so I don't care. So I have found myself And maybe it's because I'm in Chicago and the Cubs just swept the Dodgers, and the Dodgers are reeling, encircling the drain. But I will say this, I have found myself the last two to three years in August being much more engaged with baseball races. And I think this is I think this is something that baseball maybe incidentally, maybe it's just been a matter of luck. But Cub's good, Yankees interesting, Dodger's reeling, Brave's excellent, Here come the Astros. It's like all these brands, Red Sox the hottest team in like eight years, Like they can't lose games. And I've got to tell you the trade deadline, I was like, I didn't know half the pitchers going to these teams outside of like, you know, the Cubs got somebody from the Jays i'd heard of. But I've found myself one of the rare instances, I'm like, I'm choosing in August. I'm choosing some baseball on TV instead of like looking at mock drafts and caring about football in the NFL preseason. Do you share that sentiment or not.
Speaker 2: I'm real into the Cubs right now. I'll tell you that, like I am, we want to do a whole PCA for MVP conversation, like, am I am your huckleber.
Speaker 1: Pete Crawl Armstrong?
Speaker 2: Amazing?
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 2: The guy is so cool and such a great athlete, and I've been able to work with him a little bit just I don't want to overstate it, but like a couple of things for the big charity event that I do in Chicago and partnership with the Cubs. He just gets it. He's awesome. I'm so happy for him because he is the best defensive center fielder in the game, one of the fastest players of the game. Had a ton of power last year, but he swung and missed a lot, a lot, a lot of strikeouts, and early on in this season he was really struggling. And it didn't even like take the All Star break. It was like he just decided I'm gonna have a good eye now, which is just like not something that's supposed to happen in baseball. Like that's like you can maybe develop it over years. You're not supposed to be able to just like snap your fingers and like you know what, I'm going to lay off the two to two cutter out of the zone so that I can get a better pitch on three to two, and his walk rate is up, his on base percentage is way up, and he's the MVP of the league because show Hay hasn't pitched enough and has been a good offensive player but not the best offensive player. And show has won four of them. So if PCA keeps this up for the rest of the next five weeks and doesn't win MVP, it's going to be a problem. He deserves it well.
Speaker 1: I also I went to I watched all three of the Cub Dodger games, the first two especially the other one was in the afternoon when I was on so I went and youtubed it and read about it and watch the highlight of it. But there was no question if you watched the series that the Cubs had more juice. And to me, the lost in this Trek Scooball acquisition of the Dodgers is they're old Mookie beps looks shot, Freeman's dinged up. Otani had a two home run game in the last game of the series. But the truth with the Dodgers is Blake Snell, Tyler Glasnow, it wasn't a hey, let's add a helipad to the yacht. It was a somebody throw us a life preserver. If you have watched the Dodgers play against the Red Sox and Cubs, they looked like a team that had two really long playoff runs and they look old, beat up and tired. They don't have a lot of juice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I wonder if that is just because it's so clearly everything about them is defined by do they win a World Series or not? Because when they got scuball and they put up the five man rotation and they just like do those graphics like what like we do? Like when the Sixers acquire Lebron and you put up the Sixers rotation and it's you know, show Hay and Schooable and glass now and now it's just like it's outrageous the number of name brand talent that they have everywhere. They are the most talented team. But the Cubs, you know, they dug themselves a hole, and you know they're still trying to chase down the Brewers and like that division is just a rock fight all the time. But Wriggly in the Summer comes alive with a great Cubs team, like it's impossible for them not to have juice. And I know Dodger stadium crowds are big, and I know they have great attendance also, but you've now lived in both places. You've been to Dodger Stadium, You've been to Wrigly. It's different. Like the the energy and the juice at Wrigley is just something.
Speaker 1: Oh it's almost a college football game.
Speaker 2: Crowds, it's just excellent. And so you know, there's good Cubs teams always have a lot of juice in July and August because kids are out of school, kids are back from college. It's beautiful every day. It's packed every single day. Bear season hasn't started yet, so they're front and center. They're leading all of the shows. So yeah, tons of juice around that team. And to your point about preseason, like, yeah, preseason, the things that matter right now are just it's all bad news. It's like Trent Williams torn triceps, Luther Burden, Oh, how bad is this groin injury going to be? Like, it's just you just you don't want your team to have a news alert right now because you just want to get to the games that actually matter. And so, you know, I think turning attention back to baseball is great because there's so much damn talent in the sport right now that it's as good a time as any to kind of sink your teeth in before the playoffs get going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of the things that's always fascinated me about sports. I like the cultural changes. Like I think it's so funny how we went from small ball and then Jokic win to title and everybody's like, Okay, you got to have two bigs to defend him, and then all of a sudden Wemby arrives and Oklahoma City is like, no, we need three bigs. We're going to draft a die Mara with Hart and Stein with chet Holmgren. No, we need three bigs. And I think it's fascinating in the NBA, like the second Apron. Now it's all about God, you can't have. I mean, your bench starts mattering now you I mean like Oklahoma City looked inevitable and then all of a sudden you're like, you know, they're kind of expensive on the bench. I think we've got to make some moves. And I mean the Celtics basically just said we want to get out of the Jalen Brown contract, and if we take in Paul George and we can get out of that much easier in a year. We'll just do that. You're like, well, Brown's better than Paul George. He plays a lot of games. And I think one of the things that baseball when you're when you're efficient and smartly run, which I don't think baseball was ten years ago or five years I think they are now. Like I've made this argument is that rich guys, when the money's coming in, don't impede the money. Is that what if milwalk because the Dodgers are not a lock, and by the way their cubs have right and the Cubs pitching, they made moves at the trade deadline, they may be a little light. If Milwaukee gets to the World Series, do you think all the billionaires are going to say, oh God, the books are in What a season? Because that's my take. The Rays right now are second in batting average, The Rays are number one hitting team, runners in scoring position. They're built for the playoffs. They're just they don't they don't need a ton of power. It is station station baseball. What if the Rais and Brewers get to the series, it won't be captivating nationally. But I don't believe that the lockout is inevitable. Like, let's just eight till the playoffs happen. Okay, So I mean there's a lot there. Like I I do think, I think you're we're probably saying the same thing. I do think baseball is going to lock out.
Speaker 2: Now, they're not gonna they're not guaranteed to miss games, but there will be a like a lockout will happen when this CBA expires. Now, whether or not it impacts a single thing of spring training or not, I don't know. But I've been basically assured that the lockout is coming. It's just a question of if it goes into to next season. You know some of these teams, and you mentioned the two that are probably the poster child of each league, the Brewers and the Rays. They're just excellently run teams. Like the Brewers have a better run differential than the Dodgers. Now that it's by one run, I just checked it to be it be updated. But like the Brewers are amazing. They can lose. They can lose their ace, they can lose their closer, they can lose their manager, which they have over the last three years, they've lost all of them. Hater and counsel, et cetera. And they just keep doing it. It's amazing. Same thing with the Rays. The Rays are just a great organization and they compete in the Al East with the biggest spenders and the biggest teams, and they just keep doing it. Doesn't mean they're going to win, doesn't mean they have one, but they give themselves a shot each and every year. So and that's what people point to of saying you can't buy a World Series. You can't. And it's like, but you can buy yourself margin for error, Like that's that's to me, like what the Dodgers have built in now, Like the Dodgers have built in a tremendous amount of margin for error that one or two or three or four guys can get hurt and they can still go on and win the whole thing. That's not what the Brewers have going for them. Even the Cubs, dude, Like the Cubs you mentioned their pitching is a little light. There was a time earlier this year where thirteen pitchers who had pitched in the big leagues were on the injured list, like and it was like it's just they kept getting hurt time and time and time again. But The Cubs have a great organization, They're very deep, they spend a ton of money, so they were able to withstand it in a way that a team like the Brewers, if they had that amount of pitching injuries, would not be able to. But baseball's in an interesting spot because I think the talent is as good as it's ever been. The business is clearly very very very healthy, but the owners seem to be convinced they need a salary cap, and the players seem to be convinced that they'll never give it, will never give in on it. So I do think I think there is at least a chance that we miss games for a work stoppage for the first time since nineteen ninety four in baseball, which would be devastating because there's nothing less relatable in a time of inflation and high gas prices and all of it than millionaires and billionaires fighting. And it would just be a shame because baseball has a lot of momentum going for You mentioned the leadership, the rules changes, the big market, all of them have been done.
Speaker 1: They've had a home run on like eight changes, eight for eight.
Speaker 2: And the big markets are good, and there's young stars in the game, Like there's a million things that baseball has going for it. So I really really hope, and I guess can be cautiously optimistic that the two sides will realize like is this situation perfect? No, but we we should not kill the golden goose here in miss games?
Speaker 1: Is it a lockout if you don't miss a spring training game? That's almost like saying.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true, Like I think that's definition. It is a lockout. But to your point, like if nothing actually is mess do the fans care? But like the CBA is going to expire without a deal, which I think makes it a lockout. You know, so.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like I only worry if I go to Fox and my key card doesn't sure that's a lock out. Everything else is they're mad at me during negotiations for a month. I'm like, it's not really a lot lockout? Is you put that card up?
Speaker 2: It's like, no, I'm I'm I am a hundred that is one hundred percent true. I just know that if Jeff Passon says there's going to be a lockout, there's gonna be a lockout. That's that's what I know. He is my uh he is my north star on this sort of thing. So there will be a lockout, will they miss games? I think that is still very much up in the air. And yeah, man, like it's the baseball playoffs. They're great. Like, you want to go to a Cubs playoff game this year?
Speaker 1: Excuse me, well, I'm going to them. I'm first of all, I've been to two Cup games this year. I'm going to the Bears game Saturday night, sitting in a pretty swanky box. I don't want to give it away, And I am going to a You know, my wife's so funny. She's like, you know, I don't talk about sports around her because she doesn't really care. You know, she likes dog videos and culinary stuff on TikTok, but she you know, she reads the news every day, but she doesn't want to get into it. And Dan, I say, I was talking to a friend about the Cubs. She's say, oh, I want to go to the gates. I'm like, well, come on, you can't just jump on you can't jump on the that's kind of a bandwagon fan.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. And I say this as a card carrying member of Cubs Nation. We're familiar with Bandwagon jumpers. It's Wriggly is littered with him. It is a reputation that is well earned. It's a national landmark. It's why we sell out the stadium when the team wins seventy two games because Wriggly is awesome. So Anne is more than a welcome to bandwagon jump for a summer at Wrigley. Just get her an old style and a hot dog. She'll fit right in.
Speaker 1: I bought her a Wriggly cub shirt. She's Irish with an Irish green clasher with a with a clover. And when you go to Wrigley Field, and I've said this before, if it was in Belgium, if it was in you know, Florence, Italy or something, you'd literally say, oh, it's a bucket list. It's like going It's like going to watch Manchester United Wrigley Field. For those who have never done it, and in the Midwest, everybody's done it, diehard baseball fans have done it. It is like nothing else. It is a college football game eighty one times a year in this really cool part of the city. And you go to Mers and you go to the game and afterwards and then you can go on Sheffield or Waveland Avenue, which I did the other day. It's nothing like it in the country. There's nothing like.
Speaker 2: I completely agree, obviously I'm insanely biased, and like when the Cubs were when when theo Epstein was there, and I, by the way, congratulations on the success of the pod and the live event. It was. I loved every Oh god, I listen to every episode. I ate it up. It was. It was spectacular content. But like they all also knew how special it was. The private room and the upstairs at Murphy's which is basically just an apartment, but like that's where like theo is throwing parties when they would win playoff series, and like because it's just like everyone like Cubs players walk to the games. They live in the neighborhood, they bike to the games because it's such a cool part of the city. And so yeah, whether you whether you're a Cubby Bear guy, a Murphy's guy, a Slugger's guy, people say like that the neighborhood has changed so much, and it's like it it there is definitely turnover because post COVID and bars and restaurants, it's a tough business, like, but the institutions are all still there like Murphy's Sluggers, Cobby Bear, They're all still there. It's just a it's a it's a great thing. And I mean rig has been transformed. Man. Like we talk about these news teams and new stadiums, like the Bills are going to be debuting a new stadium this year. I haven't been to the one for the Rams yet. I have been to the Cowboys State Like sometimes they all feel little sterile and corporate and cookie cutter, and you know, all just as many suites as possible with as big of a video board as possible. It is an amazing thing what they've done with Wrigly to like add in a video board, improve the suites, add in the club seating, like to like generate more money and income, build the hotel across the way, do Gallagher Way, which is like an outdoor area where you can come in and out of the stadium during the gameplay with your kids, the games on, have beers whatever. And it's still the brick wall, the manual scoreboard, the ivy, the narrow seats, like it is still Wriggly Field. And so it's a it is a really incredible job of like modernizing a landmark without changing it. And it's just it's a perfect sports venue. It really is.
Speaker 1: Listen, there's a lot of things talking about controversial topics that.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: There are certain journalistic principles I follow. If I break a story, I have to have two sources. That's just the general rule. If I get a really hard quote on somebody, a real harsh quote, I want it double sourced.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: But there are stories that I'm not going to let myself be guilted in. I just don't care. And one of them is the Rabel Russini story, which I talked about once on my podcast. When it happened, I said, Okay, it's a moral issue for him because she's a journalist. There's an ethical standard on sourcing. It's an ethical and moral in story for her. That's her career. When I see people continuing to probe on it, my take is like if I cover the Patriots, I don't care. Like it happened for Rabel, he's not getting fired. Coaches don't get fired for that. It's a moral family story. I don't really care. There's a lot of stuff I don't know about that happens. Right for Russini, I do think it's a story in the journalism club New York Times Athletic. That's her career, of course, and it's also a moral story. But I have found myself. I've had people from time to time go, how can you don't talk about it? No? I did for about ten minutes, and I'm no longer interested, and that probably means I'm not a journalist. Is it a story going forward? I don't care.
Speaker 2: I was surprised that Mike Tomlin said, like, if they lose, it's like early, it's going to become the noise around it is going to become very loud, Like what is going to be the criticism that an affair was allegedly uncovered four months before the season started, So that's why they're losing games in September. Like, that's like a pretty huge leap to make. So I think that listen if it if the Patriots were interested in doing an investigation into him, Like was he using his closeness with a journalist to campaign for a Coach of the Year vote? Was he using his relationship with a journalist to try to get intel on an opponent ahead of a game plan? Was he using his relationship with a journalist to try to muddy the waters with Philly and aj Brown so that the price tag would go down so they could trade for him. Like I could see there being an argument for there being some sort of ethical quandary ish, but he was in the Super Bowl last year, so they don't care, well, you know what I mean. Like, I think that that is that Also, it's like, if your employer is happy with the job you are doing and the misdeed that you commit is not directly related to your job, which in his case is winning football games, they're not going to dig too deep into it. Whereas if to your point about her, this is it is obvious, like if you are using a romantic relationship to further yourself with a source, that is obviously something that needs to they have bylaws of the New York Times, these types of thing relationship personal relationships with the sources need to be disclosed. But clearly it is more ethically black and white in the newspaper online newspaper business of black and white journalism than it is being a football coach of the AFC champions I think.
Speaker 1: It's the kind of thing and I believe this with a Tony Romo situation that is the compresson league. Okay, So with Mike Vrabel, if Mike Rabel was in year four and was on the fence, employer goes, you know your leadership has been in question. You just you just booted it. Tony Romo, if he was as good as many of the other guys, his company would support him greatly. Al Michael's got a DUI. There was no talk about losing his job. Romo is highly compensated. Kind of feels like sometimes as a quarterback in a broadcaster, he's kind of ad libbing, you know, when you have one game a week to do and Jim Nantz does a majority of the talking. I don't think I'm out of bound saying that there are situations. They can be moral, they can be ethical. Obviously, let's not minimize you know, drinking and having a cocktail in a car. That's bad. Nobody's saying it's not. But I do think there is something about those situations where when you're vulnerable. Vrabel wasn't Romo is it does change outcomes potentially, of course.
Speaker 2: Right. Let's like I don't have to treat everybody equally. I just have to treat everybody fairly. Like, yeah, like if if they if they weren't happy with the job that Mike Rabel was doing, they could have said they could have been like morality clause, embarrassment to the franchise, you had to miss day three of the draft, dereliction of responsibilities, you're fired. But he but they were in the super Bowl, and he's a patriot guy and they love him, so they're like, dad, do what you need to do. Like, not everybody has to play by the same set of rules in life. Tony Romo was the greatest thing in broadcasting, now perceived to not be very highly paid. Like I feel a little badly like putting another current person's name into it, Like so I don't Charles Barkley. Everybody agrees best basketball analyst, highly paid, incredibly valuable. They want him to work for as long as he wants to work. If the exact same thing happened to Charles, does anybody think he's in danger of losing his job?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you're right. So it's interesting with Romo too, because media critics have had the knives out for him for years and they can be a little little jaded. But it was funny because about them. Yeah, two weeks ago. I was at an event and his name came up and it was kind of front and center that the Wisconsin open container, right, which we found out about three or four days after the story came out. He had an open container and it was funny. Whereas the critics crush him. The guys in the room I was with or like, I like Romo. I think he's funny on the air, and again when I watch him, I don't think he's as meticulous as Greg Olsen right or as or right like, I don't think he is. But is he as bad as the sense Like My take is the average fan out there thinks Romo's kind of fun and goofy andly easy to listen. Yeah, probably true and like listen, But executives don't like the negative publicity from the credit exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: It's one thing that I like. I've toyed with the idea of quitting Twitter because I just I don't it's it's a cesspool and it's before you tab is rage bait, and I genuinely think it's divisiveness by design, and so I don't think it's great. But like our bosses are all on Twitter, like there's a there is a Our industry is all on Twitter, and so there is like a little bit of a self perpetuating thing. It's like, oh, Twitter doesn't like Tony Romo, or Twitter knows that criticizing Tony Romo gets views and gets played into the algorithm and gets aggregated and makes it onto the websites and all that. And I have criticisms of a ton of broadcasters, right, So I'm not I do think that it is a fair thing to say that. Like when he first started, the energy and the predicting of plays was a novelty and I was transfixed by it. And then as he's gotten further from being in the game, and they also clearly told him like, don't tell us what's gonna happen beforehand. It spoils the surprise, Like his magic trick has been kind of neutered. And the thing that bothers me the most about Romo as an analyst is he says, I don't know way too much. I'm like, you're the analyst, Like what Jim will be like fourth and four here, Tony, what do you think is a field goal or a go for it spot? And He's like, I don't know, Jim it's a tough call. I'm like, no, man, that's your job, like you have to you say, I don't know too much for my personal liking, and so like that. That is my criticism of It's not his energy. It's not as joke with me like that's fine. It's he says, I don't know too much for my from my liking.
Speaker 1: As an analyst, I always think that you become the broadcaster you were as a quarterback. So the story of Brady the football player is legendary, where Belichick's like, well, it wasn't very good initially, and then all of a sudden becomes the goat and every year there's these massive jumps. That's what he was as a broadcaster. You know, he'd never done it. He was rough around the edges, and the last year, you're like, Jesus, he's good, like really knows what's happening. Romo always caught people's attention because of his athletic ability. But I had it pretty well sourced, well meticulously, so somebody in the locker room was like, but he kind of skimped on the details. He was a bit of an ad liver. He wasn't the hardest worker, but he was naturally really athletic, funny, guys liked him. There was some leadership stuff there. So that's kind of what he's been in a broadcaster. One starts rough, gets very good quickly, one starts surprisingly good, and then over the course of time, you're like, is he really putting the time in wait? And I think your personality becomes your quarterback personality becomes your broadcasting person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think you and I forget about it. We watch all the games and every day and all that. My father has passed away. But like I remember when got hired, it was like like my dad knew who Tony Romo was quarterback of the Cowboys, you know, like there is a Q factor to those jobs. Sure that It's like fame is a huge piece of it. Like you get Tom Brady to be your broadcasters like these Tom Brady and he does work really hard at it and he has gotten a lot better. But like Chris collins Worth has to do a little bit more, you know, just because he's Chris collins Worth. He's not Tony Romo or Troy Yeikman or Tom Brady. Right, Greg Olson has to do a little bit more. I'm really interested I thought that Luke Keikley hire was really interesting. Like everyone says he's one of the smartest players ever, and people said he he aced the audition, and like, I can't wait to watch it because like, yeah, a linebacker is that's a unique person to have as a solo analyst and a football broadcast. Like I'm excited to watch Noah Eagle and Luke Keickley this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Luke Keithley greg Olsen tied end jj Watt, Like there is I mean, you kind of forget like jj Watt was always a really thoughtful guy, so you knew he'd be pretty good at it. Yeah. I met Luke at a wedding not long ago. He one of the most walks up to you, makes eye contact impossible not to like.
Speaker 2: So likability is the is the secret sauce to this thing that we do. And I'm not saying that I have it in spades, like so like I have to make up for it with great takes, but like, uh, but yeah, like if you are just like charming and likable and easy to listen to to watch, it's a It's a superpower. I say it about my buddy Adam lefgo All the time. At now he's he's gotten his due and he's the face of Turner Sports. You know, air a parent to Ernie Johnson who all that. Like, he's unbelievably versatile. He's doing boxing and the French Open and the NCAA tournament and college football. He's an amazing broadcast baseball playoffs. He does it all for Turner. But I'm like left Go in college was popular in a frat in some student media, but like he was like he did it more like socially and casually, and I remember being like, he's going to be successful. I've never met anyone more liked like. Athletes liked him, sorority girls like him, frat guys liked him, Journalism dorks liked him. Everyone liked him. Likability is the secret sauce, and so he's one of the greatest to do it. And so if Luke Keigley has that thing, it'll that charisma, it'll it'll come through. It's so valuable.
Speaker 1: So how do you prepare for a football season? So I like him afternoon drinking in the summer, I do not like it in the winter, in the fall, in the summer, it's almost a problem. I really enjoy an afternoon cocktail and turning on a sporting event. So over the last I got about three or four weeks. Now I've got to ramp up. I've got to be in. I've got to like, you know, the sauce. It just can't be sauce day every Tuesday. Do you prepare differently? So?
Speaker 2: I mean I wasn't thinking about the drinking component so much. No, like I I obviously footballs are bread and butter. They want us to take some vacations ahead of football season, some of us on this call more than others. I think I'm filling in for you.
Speaker 1: A few whoa, Hey, that's standing. I'm filling it right, You've earned it.
Speaker 2: I think I'm filling in for you on a couple of days coming up, of which they still haven't told me which ones not better? Which city am I going to be in? No, but like I what I try to do, even though, like when I did local radio in Chicago, it felt like we were sometimes, you know, three feet wide and a mile deep, like all fifty three guys on the Bears, every position battle, the solar reposition coach, the whole thing. Right now, this job at FS one, it's more a mile wide and three feet deep. I try very hard to be a mile wide and like one hundred feet deep because I think that that's like what I bring to the table. Right I didn't play in the NFL. I'm more I'm the smart guy. I'm the guy who watches the game and knows the numbers. And I know people will be like, you're dumb, but whatever, Like that's like my lane, right, and so I try right now to be consuming the stuff that I'm not going to actually need. Like I just got back from a week in San franc the San Jose, San Francisco area with my sister and brother in law and their kids and my kids, getting the cousins together for a week of vacation. So it's six hour flight. I consumed a lot of like NFL podcasts of different markets of teams that we're going to talk about, like Eagles pod, gast Chargers podcast, Cowboys podcast, like things like like like with like beat writers, things like that, whether they were going on national shows, division preview shows, whatever the case may be. To try to like have a deeper understanding of what the things are for the team because then when we do it, it's you know, Joe Burrow against Lamar Jackson. But hopefully I can bring a little bit more context into it. So I try to because I know I'm not going to be able to do that once the season starts and we're doing all the topics and all of the games and all the teams. But so I try to have a really deep knowledge base going into the season, and then during the season, I just watch every game and go from there. What about you, what do you like? I mean, how do you prep it out? Is that what you were asking? Or were you literally saying, Danny, do you drink less in football season? Was that your question? No?
Speaker 1: I No, it is funny because I in the summer, like I golf, I am recreational. I like when I take a two week break in July, the first ten days I do not watch TV, Like I give my wife ten days of just because then in the last four or five days I go back to watching stuff and doing stuff. But no, I I'm like, you know, I just what I just constantly do is just watch football stuff. And like I'll watch you know, I'll watch the games. I'll watch preseason games, even though I know, like I watched every second of Arizona in Carolina every single second, and most of those players, almost all of them, will have no impact. Not a single player there was worth half a point in the NFL game. But I like the sport, but I would say I go. I would just say it's I did feel like last year because I do think the gap between good and I think what's happened to the NFL because of the importance of the quarterback that if you don't have one, it used to be you'd kind of watch everybody until Thanksgiving. But I do feel like there are about six teams that by October fifth, it could be sure, Like I think Arizona Jets, it could be over like three to four games. In Yeah, Miami. I like Malik Willis, but he is probably their second best player, and we don't know if he's coming back close two.
Speaker 2: But like they have no talents anyway.
Speaker 1: I would say what's happened to the NFL is a little like college football or the NBA, about thirty percent of it I know a lot about in the NFL. I always felt it had to be about eighty percent. But what I found over the last two to three years is the bottom of the NFL is growing now. Next year is a great college quarterback class, so that'll be fascinating because even bad teams will have rookie quarterbacks. But this year, some of the bad teams are just bad teams, uh, and they're not terribly captivating. I don't think the Jets or Arizona. I just don't think those are really interesting teams. But I will say if Minnesota finishes fourth, that's about as good a fourth place team. I think the Raiders will finish fourth and it'll be really interesting. That's one of the things the NFL has. There are bad teams that are good watching. Yes's not the case in baseball, hockey or the NBA.
Speaker 2: Like the NBA has it a little bit and like I want to see a great player, like like I feel like if you went to a Mavericks game last year and you saw Cooper Flag, you got you got your money's worth, even though they were a bad team. Right, So like I've I've but like, but that's more like you're watching them Wemby's Wemby's first two years exactly like, so I think it actually happens in the NBA. But it's different. It's not at all like the team is interesting or an expectation of winning. It's just like I want to see how this individual gets through the game, how he interacts, how he plays, how he does he hang his head, does he whatever? No, Like listen, football is like we don't think Arizona or the Jets or the Dolphins, but like every year there is a surprise team or injuries happen or luck happens. I mean, the Broncos won eleven one score games last year. It's an NFL record. Now it's tied with a couple of other teams. Like, I think the Broncos are good. I think it's a really talented roster, great coach, great defense, great offensive line. I'm not saying it's a complete fluke, but they want eleven one score games like that could go the other way that if they go five and six in one score games this year, all of a sudden, they are a nine win team and we're not talking about them very much. So there's a there is a lot of variance in the NFL. You mentioned the vikings, like the Lions finished in the last place week, the Lions ruined, the who's the worst? The first team segments that we all do in August because every single person would say that the Lions are going to be the worst the first team, even if you pick the Bears or the Packers, like, they're clearly the best candidate to go worse to first. So, like the there's a almost every fan base goes into an NFL season with hope, maybe not hope of a super Bowl, but hope of things could go our way. We could win ten games and we could make the playoffs. I would say, like twenty seven teams go into this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jets Arizona, No Jets Arizona, Tennessee, Tennessee. Probably know everybody else, Like I think the Saints are going to shock people and win ten to eleven games. Could be wrong, but I think Jets Arizona, Tennessee, you kind of know it's a nine would be.
Speaker 2: Great, great, but it's not going to IM going to keep throwing Miami and I think I know it's new coach Miamis. They have no talent. You're getting so much dead money. I think Miami. If I had to pick a team right now to get the number one pick, I think I'd picked Miami. But like Tennessee is a good example. Yeah, they don't have much hope, except it's year two of a number one pick. Like cam Ward could be great. I didn't see it. He didn't have much around him. He's dealt with coaching turnover and instability and all sort, you know what I mean. But like I, cam Ward could be great, and so like you you're a Titans fan going into this year, I still would imagine there's a decent level of opted. We got Carnell Tate, we got him at number one target. We spent money. We brought in Franklin Myers, the defensive tackle from the from the Broncos, who was awesome on the huge deal to put him next to Jeffrey Simms. Like, we've got a defensive line, we got a young quarterback, we got a young wide receiver, Like, let's roll the ball out there and see. We got a winnable division. Like, let's see what we got. You know? So, I think a lot almost every fan base can at least talk themselves into hope, which is just an amazing thing that the NFL has created, which is why it's the best product.
Speaker 1: Danny Parkins, that was good stuff. I appreciate. That was over an hour of we even we even got Uh was that controversial.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'll say. If anything is going to be aggregated from this podcast, it's clearly gonna be my pc A for MVP take That's what's gonna be. That's what's gonna be aggregated.
Speaker 1: That was I gotta be honest, I got I got a little nervous about that time.
Speaker 2: It was. It was scared, it was, it was scared. I'm gonna I'm gonna learn my agent right now. Hey, you might need to do some damage control over the next twenty four to forty eight hours for me. Okay, I came for show. Heyo, Tony, this is PCA's league now.
Speaker 1: Great stuff.
Speaker 2: Thanks Colin.