Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Wednesday. It'll be action packed. We got John Elway coming up. Also, Paul Skeen's The Pirates Rookie of the Year. We have more on the college playoffs, the rankings that came out last night. People seeing Boise State getting a first round by starting to panic a little bit, just hold off. It plays itself out. It'll play itself out again this year. Eight seven seven to three. DP Show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. We have something really special. You buy a Tailgate Moonshine four pack receive a really special limited edition gift. We've been working on this for a while, and you might say that we've called in audible. If you're a fan of the show, you'll understand that limited quantities shot now Danpatrick dot com. We also have those great flannels as well in the calendars, just in time for the holidays. Stat of the Day brought to you you buy Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, and if you haven't downloaded the app, please do so. Really easy to do and watch the show. Today's Mercedes Benz Interview the Day brought to you by Mercedes Benz. Celebrate the journeys that bring us closer together with an exclusive offer on a vehicle that you'll adore at the Mercedes Benz Holiday Loves Celebration going on now through January two. Learn more at mbusa dot com slash special offers. Also, we will dive into the mess that is the New York Jets because there was a report yesterday in the Athletic that talked about how the owner wanted to bench Aaron Rodgers after week four and that the owner fired the coach without even consulting the GM, Joe Douglas, and that GM was fired yesterday as well. Eight seven seven to three DP Show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a TP show Hall of Famer John Elway back on the program. John, How you doing.
Speaker 3: And how you doing? I'm doing great?
Speaker 2: What's the Is that a portrait or a jersey behind you there in your office?
Speaker 3: It's all you have?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: Well, I was trying.
Speaker 4: I did it adds color, so yeah, I didn't think you would have Montana behind you.
Speaker 2: But no, that's it's very nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah they did.
Speaker 2: You did you collect jerseys from those guys? I did not.
Speaker 4: I did not that that that that bad came after me. Yeah, we never never really did that, even though I do have a I have a marina in a Montana. I do have some, but it wasn't something we did all the time.
Speaker 2: Do you care where you're ranked all time? When rankings come out that greatest quarterbacks?
Speaker 5: How?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't. You can't do anything about it now. But how competitive are you?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: I think that you know everybody, you know, everybody has different opinions on different players.
Speaker 3: Obviously we're all in different situations.
Speaker 4: I think you just like to be in the common conversation, right, That's the key thing is if you're in the conversation, then you did all right during your career. And I think that you know, you look at all the great quarterbacks that I played against that you know during our time that you know, I have so much respect for. And sure we were competitive when we were playing, and UH want to be the best, but you know, ultimately to win football games and try to win world championships and so yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Were all competitive.
Speaker 4: But what's funny is I think you know, once we get away from the game, where you know, we were good friends during while we were playing, but probably better after we got done.
Speaker 2: But do you think you're better than Joe Montana or Tom like? Do you have to have that mindset to play the position that you're you're the best at doing this?
Speaker 4: I think yeah, I think so. I think that you know, it's when you're going through it. Obviously, certain guys do some things better than you do. They say, well, you know, I wish I could do that a little bit better, do it as good as Danny. Danny obviously had a tremend this release and got rid of the football quicker than anybody. But you know, I think ultimately you have to believe that you're the best and that nobody can. You know, nobody can do it better than you can. I think that that is a mindset you have to have to even have a chance to get into the conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marino was so ahead of his time with that five wide Noro running back. I mean they were running what you're running now. Did you ever think, hey, let me talk to coach and see if we can run the same thing in Denver?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think yeah, I think that we were all kind of jealous what Danny was doing down there, because, like you said, I mean nineteen eighty four, I think you threw for five thousand yards, right, and that was in a sixteen game schedule, and that had you know, back then, you just wanted to hopefully get to you know, it was really three thousand was a good number, and then if if you got to four thousand, that was like over the top. And so and then Danny in his second year, you know, he got well, you have forty eight touchdowns and over five thousand yards, and so he got there in a hurry. And yeah, from that point and point on, I think, you know, statistically, we're all chasing Dandy because he was, you know, setting the world on fire.
Speaker 2: Trying to assess these rookie quarterbacks, I mean, even drafting, how difficult is it. You played the position at the highest of levels, but you're trying to find a quarterback when you're with the Broncos. What is it that you're looking for? And maybe what is it that you missed with these quarterbacks?
Speaker 4: You know, Dan, I think it is. I think it is such a combination you have to have. Not only do you have to have the quarterback. But I really believe even more important because all these kids coming out of the coming out of college or high draft picks, they are all great athletes. Can throw it, can make all the throws, can move around, and you know, I think the key thing is to get them in the right situation with the right coach offensive coordinator, quarterback coach.
Speaker 3: Or head coach.
Speaker 4: I think is so important because how these kids are brought into the league and how they are brought along because as you know, there is no patience anywhere in the NFL when it comes down to waiting on a young guy, especially at the quarterback position, to get used to playing in the NFL, because it's a huge, huge jump, and so not only is it tough to find, it's hard to see what's inside. You can see it on tape, but it's hard to see what's inside. But I think the most important thing is is that combination of a head coach or as I said, an offensive coordinator that brings that quarterback along slowly, doesn't get them put them in situations where they're over their head. And because as you know, the criticism in the NFL can be a lot and I think and I always say this too, especially those high picks. They they've been great in high school. Oh, they were great in college. They've always been great athletes, and they've never experienced a lot of negative press, and I think that a lot of times the world can start caving in on them when they don't have success early, especially if they're putting situations that they can't handle, because not only is the complication of the offenses in the NFL, but also what they're doing defensively, and that takes a lot of time, and obviously you got to be patient be able to do that, which I think. You know, Sean Payton's doing a great job with bo Nix and Denver while you're seeing him have the success that he's having because of the way that he's bringing them along. Obviously, Vans Joseph's got the defense going. They're playing great defense to where they're not loading everything up onto that quarterback and expecting him to win football games week in a week out. And so I think that's the progression, and I think that's why, you know, we you know, the success rate is not as good as it should be because of the fact of the combination of the player but also the combination of the situation is getting put in.
Speaker 2: Talking to John Elway, the Hall of Famer, Tom Brady once said, if he was drafted in the first round, he wouldn't have survived. You started, Peyton. You guys were probably in over your heads those rookie years. And here's Brady, maybe the greatest quarterback or certainly the most decorated. He said, I needed to sit and watch. You didn't get that luxury. How over your head were you that first year, first couple of years.
Speaker 3: You know, Dan, I was, you know I was.
Speaker 4: It was fortunate and not looking back on it at the time because my rookie year, I started the first four games. The first two games I played, I got benched at halftime Steve de Berg with her backup and actually I got benched at halftime in Pittsburgh, and then we went to Baltimore, I got benched. Fortunately Steve came in. We won both those football games. I started the next two games, and then Dan said, hey, listen, we're gonna we're gonna make a chance. So Steve de Berg ended up I ended up getting benched after my fourth game, and which actually was the best thing that could ever ever happened to me because Steve de Berg came in played the next four games, and I had a chance.
Speaker 3: To stand on the sideline.
Speaker 4: And so this is where I agree with Tom and the fact that the perspective of not being in the middle of the heat and having a chance to be the backup watch from the sideline was a big, big plus for me. And then Steve ended up getting hurt and in the fifth game, and then I was back in and he separated his shoulder. So I played the rest of the year, but that four week period that I saw on the bench helped me tremendously for the next time when I ended up starting the last half of the season. So I think it's always good too, you know, not to be in that fire right away, to get a real good feel of exactly what's going on, because nobody knows what a big jumping is coming from college football at the NFL, especially at the quarterback position, and and so, like I said, that four week time that I got banch was probably helped me the most of any any time in my career.
Speaker 2: Steve Young has said on numerous occasions on this show he wishes he was playing now because they protect the quarterback. They're begging you to run. They protect you when you run, and he said that it's too easy. Now, what do you think about you in today's game, given your skills?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Obviously the rules have changed and you know, they're making the game a safer game, which is a good thing, taking some of those unnecessary big hits out of the game. You know, obviously the quarterbacks have get protected a lot more.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 4: You know, My biggest fear was, you know, defensive lineman falling off guys and hit me in the legs when I'm you know, throwing a twenty five yard to come back, all my weights on that front leg and you know, they can't hit there. And the other thing I always say too was, you know, I get asked many times as well, who hit you the hardest? And it was usually the ground when they were on top of you and they landed on top of you. The ground is what hurt the most, right, So they can't they can't land on you anymore either, So but I you know, you know, that's the transition of the game. I still you know, obviously what they do with the game and the past game, how important it is now that you know it would be you don't get hit as much, but it's still a physical game. And I still say I wouldn't trade when I played, you know, back in the eighties and nineties to now, just because the game's changed, the camaraderies changed. The locker room to me was a place that was almost home for me and so and I think all that stuff's changed with the amount of money that's out there, that's that's all changed. But you know, you know, even though I wouldn't change it, I'm not going to say it wouldn't be fun to play today's game.
Speaker 2: When Fritzie said that we could get you on and he said that you've been suffering dupatrin and people who don't understand I have it. I have it in both hands, okay, And so when Fritzie said that you have this, and you know, you're working with a pharmaceutical company, and I had surgery on my right hand and I haven't and it didn't really clear it up. So give me, help me understand what I can do explain the condition to the audience, because there are a lot of people who have it and may not realize what they have.
Speaker 4: You know, you're right, it's amazing you know, I think five percent of the population has du Patron's contraction. It's really kind of a constriction of your hand, you know, your fingers and your hands and the cords in your hands. It's a college and build up in your hands to where you know, your hand starts restricting. You can't put your hand flat on a table.
Speaker 5: You know that.
Speaker 3: I don't have a lot of pain with but it was more of annoying.
Speaker 4: The fact that it's and it's a condition that doesn't get it doesn't go away, and it doesn't you can make it better, but it doesn't go away. So it's a progressive condition. And so I just went to break our trainer and say, you know, what's going on with my hand, and and so I didn't. To me, it was the annoyance, and so I ended up with the non surgical side of it, and so it was it was much better that way. I know, surgically, it's it's six to eight weeks recovery, whereas the one the thing that I did was the non surgical was you know, probably about a week to two weeks, and it's it's actually it worked in both my hands, and so I was able to I'm now able to, you know, put my hands back on a table flat and I don't have that constriction.
Speaker 2: Oh, so how do how do you help me? John?
Speaker 3: Well, you know what you're supposed to.
Speaker 4: Go find your hand specialists and ask them about the non surgical way to go about this and be able to release the collagen and the cords in your hands so you can stop the constriction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to have surgery again. It's go to facts on hand dot com for more information before I let you go. If I gave you two weeks to get ready, how far could you throw the football?
Speaker 4: Ooh, that is a good question. If he gave me two weeks, I think I could probably eventually get it to fifty yards I think, but not pausitive.
Speaker 3: But then the recovery time might be longer than the.
Speaker 2: Have you talked to bo Nix?
Speaker 4: I have not had a chance to talk to him. I went out to OTA's and obviously it just got to town and so there was a lot of different things going on in his world and a lot of people pulling at him. But you had a chance to watch him, and I think DEM's in great shape. They're excited about what he's doing and I think Sean and Davis Webb are doing a tremendous job and hand and breaking them.
Speaker 3: In the right way.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, John, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: My pleasure, Dan, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: John Elway Hall of Famer. And yeah, I have that same condition both of my hands. I had surgery. I don't know how many years ago. But you can't put your hands flat on a table because your your fingers are they call them trigger fingers. So if you have that, you can go to facts on hand dot com. All right, we'll take a break. We'll talk to the raining, the freshly minted rookie of the Year, Paul Schemes from the Pirates. Your phone calls as well. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Since we just had John Elway on, I have the odds to make the NFL Playoffs DraftKings the Broncos. Broncos have better odds than the Niners do to make the playoffs, better than the Bengal and certainly better than the Jets. Stat of the Day has always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. He is the National League Rookie of the Year. He's Paul Skins, the Pirates pitcher back on the program. Last time I saw you when you got the honor, you had a fireplace scene behind you look really nice and cozy. Did you make the fire.
Speaker 6: I did not, and I think it looked all right, but not quite as good as the fireplace scene You've got behind you.
Speaker 2: So similar, but I'm not winning any awards. How did you celebrate when you got the honor?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean we had a number of my teammates and coaches and you know, some people that have just kind of affected my career in the past couple of years. So they were all there. Got to celebrate with them, and you know, just it was nice to be able to to experience it with them, because it takes a village to have any sort of success.
Speaker 2: What was it like in April when you're in the minor leagues wanting to be called up but not getting that call?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean that was the thing that that you know, people have been telling me, my parents, my coaches that kind of thing since this time last year was just be patient because we don't know what the plan is. Necessarily, we don't know, like I mean, truthfully, we didn't know how, uh, you know, how how I was going to be because I you know, had a feeling that I was going to do, you know, have success and I believe to myself and that kind of thing. But you don't really know how you're going to do until you're in it. So just be patient and put in the work and and uh go compete and then it'll all take care of itself.
Speaker 2: How does your personality help you benefit you because you seem pretty even keel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think, I mean, it's just how I am, and I've I've I think I've realized it a lot more over this year, this past year, this past season. It definitely doesn't hurt. I think just being able to stay consistent in this game because it is because you can really ride the roller coaster, the ups and the downs through through one hundred and sixty two. So just being able to stay consistent, and I think it helps me do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, but when you give up a home run, you get mad internally, you don't show it, but when somebody hits a bomb off of you. What's going on?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Sometimes I get mad sometimes, I mean there's I think there's pictures of me this year, like smiling after I give it a home run. Sometimes frankly, sometimes I think it's funny.
Speaker 2: So why why is it funny?
Speaker 6: I mean it's just you know, kind of kind of their approach, whether they executed it or not. Like there were there were a couple of times where, you know, guys just jumped me this year and I was just like, well, whatever, you can't. You can't. You can't really avoid that to some extent, so who cares?
Speaker 2: What was it like? Facing Otani?
Speaker 6: It was cool. It was cool obviously the you know, the first a B and then the second AB he got me. But that that is cool because we you know, we went back to his uh you know, back to their place, and just having the opportunity to face him I don't know what, five or six times this year and knowing that it's going to be five or six times next year and in the year after that like that, that that's pretty cool to to look forward to where it's not just you know, reading a scouting report and throwing to a certain uh certain location, like you got to play baseball and and actually get the guy out. It's it's a cool, cool experience.
Speaker 2: He's the rookie of the year. Pirates pitcher Paul Schemes. What's a pitcher do in the off season?
Speaker 6: So what I Yeah, what I did was took three weeks completely off and really just on my body and my mind, settle, relax for a little bit, and then got right back into it throwing and lifting. This is the kind of the point in the off season where you're really just getting your butt kicked probably five times a week by the workouts, just because that's you know, that's where we're at in the off season, and got to build strength, build work workload, work capacity, all that and and ramping up. So it's not it's not fun necessarily, but you know, hopefully get to enjoy it a little bit too, take some trips and that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Now you're not a surprise, so the rest, you know, everybody gets a book on whether it's a hit or a pitcher. Uh, do you work on anything? You add anything in your second season? Are you working on anything?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I think I will. I don't know exactly what it is going to be yet because where I'm at right now, like I just can't work on any any other pitches right now, I'm only throwing fastball. So that's something that I'm a little bit more present with it this off season rather than thinking about because last off season I was kind of like, oh, want me to do this and this and this, and I was thinking about all that in September, But you can't really start doing that until December January. So I'm now I'm kind of at the point where I'm like, all right, I'll I'll figure it out a little bit in uh, you know, November December. So I don't know exactly what the you know, what the character that's going to look like, but I think there's going to be something that I'll figure out because there are ways for me to get better.
Speaker 2: Do you have a baseball nearby?
Speaker 6: I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: Oh is that possible? Should you have a baseball nearby? Driving in your car holding the bit? I mean, what are you doing? It's a cowboy without a hat on.
Speaker 6: I know if I were in the car, I would have it, because I do drive with one in the car, but I don't have one right here. I got Christmas decorations, but nothing else.
Speaker 2: Okay, we we have to work on the background here, Paul, Like, if you're going to be this good for a long period of time, we have to have a better backdrop when we when we have you on TV.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm figuring that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the fireplace was great, don't get me wrong, but I mean that looks like a college dorm that you got going on there. You get your girlfriend to spice it up a little bit, you know, let's let's do some decorating in there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we'll do, we'll do.
Speaker 2: Well. Congratulations and well deserved and thanks for joining us as always.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I appreciate you having me.
Speaker 2: That's Paul Schemes, Irons Venture nationally Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 7: Does he realize how unintentionally funny he is.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but you can't, you know. It's just like, hey, he won Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty cool.
Speaker 7: I'm liking him more and more each time.
Speaker 2: The delivery is great because it's deadpan and then you're thinking you gave up a home run and you're smiling. Okay, that's not your normal reaction when you're giving up a home run, but great appreciation for what he did. I mean, there was stuff that you're what now, he was tuned in factor. He was There's a few pitchers who have been tuned in factor and he certainly was, and heirt's got something there. But you know, they kept him in the minor leagues, and you know, I think that was there was some headlines that were written about why are the pirates keeping him there? And it has to do with service time and how many years? And you know, I think there was there were some people who were pushing back on why why is our best pitcher maybe our best player in the minor leagues in the month of April. But certainly got his chance and proved that, and he was with he was at Air Force, and then he goes to LSU and then all of a sudden, you're on display at the College World Series and things changed quickly. I had a couple of phone calls here, let me see Curtis in Illinois. Curtis, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: One DP Brian Babel might be some harder than we think he is. I think last Monday he thought he could be fired. So he went into John Mayer's office and just said, you know, I know we're not good, but what if I could possibly save you twenty three million by benching Daniel Jones And mar agrees to it and wants to see what Drew Locke can do, and then Dave All replies with, actually, he could earn up to about three million incentives, So how about we just go with fan favorite Tommy DeVito.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to give Brian Dabel the credit on this. This feels like this was upper management and a financial decision because they didn't want to pay Drew Locke with the incentives he has in his contract. You don't want to pay Danny dimes Danny millions, and you got Tommy DeVito. So it just made sense that you put Tommy DeVito in there and then you ride this out. Yes, Seaton, Yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Kind of agree with that. For some reason, I feel like if the Giants were to fire Brian Dable, they'd be making a big mistake. Okay, I know, I feel like he might be a better coach than what the Giants are showing.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you start with the quarterbacking situation, so you get that, you inherit that, and then you have to make good on that. I mean, it's not his fault that they let Saquon go. It's not his fault that they kept Danny Dimes. But you know, you could be right with that with his role there. But I don't know. It's weird when you have these seasons, somebody has to pay the price, and maybe it's coordinated. Whatever it is, fans are like, Okay, finally we're doing something. If you stand pat with this, it feels like the fan base is going to be like, what are we doing? You know, at least the Jets are cleaning house here, but the Giants aren't, then they're probably you know, equally bad.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pauline, I'm leaning with Seaton on this one, and it's not gonna be popular because, like you said, fans want action, not sticking. But this guy was with the Bill, he was with Alabama, he was with the Patriots. He's been with a lot of winning franchises. His management team kept his quarterback. I'm sure he had input, but the management team kept the quarterback. I would let it play out a little bit because this guy has a history of being a very good coach with very good franchises, and that's why you brought him in and trying again, You've already got a good coach there.
Speaker 2: Let it play out a little well, okay, and I agree I wouldn't let him go, But I'd like to know what the philosophy is in the building. What if Bill Belichick says, hey, they reach out to him and he wants to coach the Giants. He wants to go full circle back where he was an assistant coach. Now all of a sudden, Brian Dable is not as attractive. Sometimes you're only as attractive as the other candidates who are or could replace you. And I think that's you have to have the Belichick factor with all of this with Jacksonville, can you get him as he an upgrade over Doug Peterson? Obviously the Jets are not possibility. I don't think the Cowboys are a possibility. How many places will be open to Belichick? And would the Giants be one of those teams? Will the Bears be one of those teams? And I think that's where you have to factor in the Bears have a quarterback. The Giants don't have a quarterback. The Jets don't have a quarterback. Cowboys do have a quarterback. Jacksonville, you're paying your quarterback to be a franchise quarterback. Yes, Paul Bill Belichick will be seventy three when next season starts. That would make him seven years older than the oldest head coach in Andy Reid. Do you think that will hurt his chances because they you know, it's not a seven year higher, it's a four year higher.
Speaker 7: If all goes well, five year higher. And it's not age, it's reality.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, like you said, what his age is. I actually thought he was older. It hasn't come up yet. But I think if he does come back in, they're going to say, hey, you know, when the season starts, he's going to be seventy four years of age. That might factor in, But I think fan base is certainly in the NFL, the older, more experienced, knowledgeable, you're all in on that instead of hey, this guy did wonders in college. Let's bring in Lincoln Riley. That makes me more apprehensive, more nervous. Belichick, Now, can he be set in his ways? That's an issue. Does he want to be GM? That could be an issue. Is the old school that could be an issue as well, But somebody's going to hire him, and probably Jacksonville at least it certainly feels that way. Dan in South Bend, Hey Dan, Hey.
Speaker 5: Dann, thanks for taking my call. I think we need to look at the.
Speaker 6: Draft a little bit and let it play out.
Speaker 5: You always say let it play out two or three years. They got Neighbors, he's good. They got Charny ct Junior, that running back, he's good. They got a quarterback that's probably top four five in the draft this year. And they knew we saw on the show. They knew that they hadn't out with Danny Dimes after this year. That was no secret. So I mean, I think we need to let it play out at least another year before we start calling for anybody's heads or anything like that. I mean, let's let it play out. A Giants feel to me anyways, way more positive than the Jets.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean Brian Dable, as Pauli and Seton pointed out, I mean, he's got a proven track record here, but you have a bad roster and it starts with your quarterback. Neighbors is good, really good. The question is, now, are you going to draft a quarterback, You're going to try to trade, You're going to try to bring somebody in free agency? What is going to happen and is it a band aid or can you find your franchise quarterback? Those are the tricky things with all of this. I mean, if you look at the Jets, they did really well drafting and then they drafted Zach will Well, everything they did with their draft was negated because they had a quarterback who wasn't ready to play. So then they trade a first round pick and they bring in Aaron Rodgers. Well, Aaron Rodgers gets hurt. Who knows what he could have been that year, and then you have this season and it feels like they're getting rid of everybody that he wants. You know, Joe Douglas has now gone the GM. Aaron has said he'll come back, but he wants the interim coach back as well. He got everything that he wanted and it went south quickly. I just think this is a team that's going to have to move on take a cap hit with Aaron Rodgers. Does DeVante Adams want to stay if Rodgers isn't there, Like, there's a lot of decisions that are made there, but it's not an attractive job to me because of the owner. It's not an attractive job because if Aaron Rodgers wants to come back. I don't think you can have an owner say let's bench Aaron four games in that Aaron would want to come back, or you would want him back. Yeah, poem.
Speaker 7: Going back to the Giants quarterback situation, they'll probably have a top five draft pick. But if they were going to go with the free agent route, you know how the most interesting free agent quarterback is for twenty twenty five. I want to play that game after the Burt Joe Flacco one more. Guess this guy is fascinating to me right now. He's having a very good season. He's back in the NFL radar, and he's about to lose his job to a rookie Sam Donald of the Vikings. They're gonna go with JJ McCarthy next year. Sam Donald is at the end of the year, is not under contract. He is twenty seven years old and has a top ten quarterback rating and it's probably gonna get a mid level contract. Not that he'll get the Baker Mayfield, not the big That's a fascinating offseason quarterback play for a team that's good and doesn't want to rebuild a quarterback.
Speaker 2: But do you think you could do that to Sam having come back to this into the crime where he was there with the Jets, and now all of a sudden.
Speaker 7: I think he may want to sign with the Giants.
Speaker 2: Well, JJ McCarthy's probably going to be the starting quarterback. You're right, but yeah, all right, came back. Donald.
Speaker 7: If I told you two years ago we'd be doing a show where there's a bidding war for Sam Donald.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if there's a bidding war yet.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm saying in the off season.
Speaker 2: Not yet.
Speaker 7: I think we have to have another team that would be interesting. I'm in on the Sam Darnald. I'm calling it. He's going to be a hot property. What in April? Scalding hot?
Speaker 2: All right, when we come back. When we come back, it's time to play in or Out. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Time to play in or Out? Paulie, would you give the audience and us a refresher on the guidelines the rules are playing in or out?
Speaker 7: Glad to DP. A lot of people are still struggling with the rules. It's if I'm going to present a topic or a thesis, or a theory or a statement, and you say I'm in, which means you're in, get correct, and out, which means you're out. You got this down, But the rest of America we'll pick up.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 7: The Jets situation currently is the worst situation in the NFL. In or out, And if you're out, tell me who is the.
Speaker 2: Worst tod I'll start with you.
Speaker 10: I'm going to say in. They are in the worst spot.
Speaker 9: Con um See, I'm sort of of the thought that not having a coach, at GM, a quarterback, any of those things puts you in a better spot than other people. Oh so I'm I'm out on that. That being said, I'm not sure who's in worst shape right now, but I'm maybe the Browns. They seem to perpetually be in terrible shape. That might just be my own bias to I don't think that the Jets are in terrible shape.
Speaker 2: Marvin in or out on the Jets being the worst in the worst position of all NFL teams, I'm out, you.
Speaker 10: Know, I think they can start fresh, start a new The worst situation probably the Titans.
Speaker 2: They're bad in irrelevant, you're over too well, Cleveland Panthers, Titans. There's there's a couple of teams in there. What I'm about. Yeah, I'm out on the Jets being the worst in the worst shape. Here we go.
Speaker 7: The Denver Broncos are set at quarterback.
Speaker 10: In I don't know if I was supposed to go first Todd.
Speaker 11: I really like what I see, and just in his rookie year, he's already breaking all kinds of team records.
Speaker 2: He looks very no doubts, right, no doubts, no doubts.
Speaker 10: I feel very good that he could be a long term answer for the Broncos a quarter.
Speaker 2: Does anybody out on bow Nicks being the guy the man in Denver? No? Wow, Yeah, I'm in.
Speaker 7: That's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Sure, Here we go.
Speaker 7: College football needs Dion Sanders more than the NFL does. I'm gonna go first, hard in. They need characters at coaches, and we've lost college football lostfile doesn't need anything, right exactly, they.
Speaker 2: Don't need anything. College football's lost college football, college basketball, they've lost big time coaches. NFL does not need anything. Yeah, yeah, I still I'm uh. I'm in on that, right, Yeah, I'm in on that.
Speaker 9: I think that it's probably more likely still that Dion's next destination would still be Florida State over the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: But they did bypass him the last time they did. But now he can back up the truck this time though, if he wants.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 7: Everybody's in on this right in in in, Okay, a couple more. Indiana is going to beat Ohio State on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Todd, I want them to, but I'm saying out Seaton, I so want that to happen. I'm all in one, Okay, Marvin, I'm in.
Speaker 10: Let's go, Antoine, Randa Lel, Let's go.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm out. If it was at Indiana, I would be in. I would be in Indiana. Oh, but I'm out because it's out of Indiana.
Speaker 7: I'm Indiana on this one. Can you imagine a world where Indiana beats Michigan and Ohio State in the same year, much less the same day in football? In football, wild man, Okay, Army Football can play with any college football playoff team. This was based on a few different people in sports media saying Army doesn't belong in no matter what their record is because they can't beat heavyweights.
Speaker 2: Okay, in a a you're either one or done. They can. Yes, I do believe that that style is very tricky. Now, do I think it's sustainable If they're going against great teams?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: If they were in the SEC or the Big ten, no, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But they're not. And it's just like Boise State. You got a chance, you take advantage of it, and maybe you knock somebody off. So I would say I'm in in a one and done situation. There you got all right?
Speaker 7: Two more Lakers guard Dalton connect will win Rookie of the Year. Recency bias.
Speaker 2: Little recency bias has recent as last night. That's right, I do it. I'm gonna do it out on it. No, No, just because I don't know what kind of numbers he can put up on a consistent basis. Will he get that opportunity? A lot of times with rookies of the year, you get to take more shots, you get to be more prominently displayed, featured. I don't know if that will happen. I think he'll have these moments where he'll get twenty five and then go back to getting seven. But you know, thirty seven last night, hitting the threes. I mean, that's that's impressive. I just don't know if he'll get those opportunities. Anybody in on Dalton connect as the rookie, Oh, Paully is all, Todd is all.
Speaker 10: I'm all about recency bias.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a bunch of randos above him, like Jared McCain. He's doing okay for Philly, Zachary Reschasse from Atlanta, but they're not lighting things up and they're on non not very relevant teams.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not going to be you know, displayed. The Lakers are always on so you get to see him. So if he's good, he will turn out to be really good in a lot of people's eyes, they'll get to see him.
Speaker 7: Okay, last one, this just hit the in or out page. But based off last segment, the Sam Darnald free agent market is going to be scalding.
Speaker 2: Hot, scalding. I'm gonna be out on all. I'm out regret it. Anybody, and besides Paulie on the Sam Darnold Fan Club, anybody.
Speaker 9: Believe the word frenzy is being frenzy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sweet Steaks, I think he oversold it a little.
Speaker 10: Bites Scalding made me feel like I got you out on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm going out.
Speaker 7: I strongly disagree with your disagreements because Sam is twenty eight, stumbled into a really good season and by default will be the only high end free agent quarterback in the off season. It's a timing play.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're all in duly noted in March duly No, how do we come up with duly noted? Checking that expression duly noted? Yes, Marv, what about the expression further ado that sounds French that without a yeah? Is that your dog? That is nothing my dog? This is your dog bite, That is not my dog.
Speaker 7: Duly noted is an academic term used over one hundred years ago for it was put down in notes for your official file, so duly noted.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 7: It was put on some type of file or report.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was the duly Report, and it was duly noted, and.
Speaker 11: People listening to previous adeo were like, can we speed this up? Let's tell how about we have no further ado. We got things to do so.
Speaker 2: Well without further ado. We'll take a break coming up the mess that is the Jets, and we'll look at the college football rank. King says, well, final hour in this Wednesday straight Ahead