Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hull that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 2: You want to be happy for a dake Edo state?
Speaker 1: Is that? Woof? Woof? And them and Tie, Welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildenbrandton, joining me as always over there in beautiful Chicago, Illinois. You know miss Dan Rubinstein. He said he had some raisin bread and a diet coke before hitting the record button today, Sir, how are you feeling good?
Speaker 2: I had some centrum silver. I put on a mess card again, you know all my pre show rituals that really keep the juice flowing. Tie, I'm pretty good. I hit a wall. I sort of had the uh you know that the high school highlight the players say, I'm not gonna lie. They had us in the first half, right right. I was feeling off in the beginning of the afternoon. It's one of those times when you go to WebM and you're like my jaw kind of hurts and like, oh, you might be having a heart attack. And I was like, well, it doesn't sound right. So I decided to take a shower in a twenty minute nap and do some work. And here we are. I'm all right. I have bounced back thanks to the good people at diet Coke and Raisin Bread. I think it was what is it, the sun made sun Made raisin Bread. There's not a corporate, not a sponsor. But it also got me to thinking, Ty, we have to start, especially with as we know it right now, because we don't know what the Big ten or Pac twelve's plan is. A time of recording as we know it. It's going to be a slightly condensed season right correct, which means we probably need to start coming up with Saturday nicknames now, if not soon.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a really good point, Dan.
Speaker 2: And yesterday I went from my very first run in a long long time, and I'm right here with sore but soaring Saturday. I don't know if that's too long. I know, we love the alliteration. I am, I'm sore, But at the same time, I feel like the circulation's coming back, and there's something about that. With week I suppose three of the college football season, even though we're a little sore coming off of two very strange weeks, and we saw certain things that we weren't expecting. But still, it's college football.
Speaker 1: See I think still, I think you've got some games bearing the lead here. It's sore because frankly, it sucks. There's one good game this weekend, one good high profile game this weekend. Miami.
Speaker 2: I guess now that Arkansas State Central Arkansas.
Speaker 1: Exactly Miami at Louisville is the big one, but potentially soaring because of the news that the big ten in PAC twelve maybe on the verge of announcing a comeback, surprisingly soaring, surprisingly soaring. I like that. I think Stephen F sowing Steve F. Sorry, no, why don't we get to news here before we do? Solidverbal at gmail dot com is the email four eight verbal one is the reverbline. If you want to dial in and be part of the reverb segment that Ryan cuts for us every Sunday morning. Also follow along on all of our social channels, those being Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. You can also join the subreddit. It's Soliverbal dot reddit dot com. And if you haven't already, go on out to soliverbal dot com and sign up for our newsletter. We're going to try to send that out once a week and a lot.
Speaker 2: To say, ty, and you're busy with the day job. So in Commandeering, Dan is commandeering. UFO got it got a lot of fun stuff in the queues, So we would urge you as strongly as possible to sign up for that newsletter. Okay, can I can? I also? Can? I also just take care by the way, some more housekeeping. We do a Friday show and that's sort of like our twos cruise with the theme of space right the frontier, if I'm not mistaken correct, and that the format at that show. We did the twos Cruise, it was slightly shorter than a regular recap or preview show. But the UFO show, the format is going to be one big central topic and we're also adding a Q and A element to it. And because we're recording it near the end of the week, I think we might crack a couple of cold ones.
Speaker 1: Tie we kicked around.
Speaker 2: The working title is bruin a So if you want one point to drink Dan and you want smooth tie, I would suggest submitting questions via Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, or solid verbal at gmail dot com because we've never really done this before and I really want to coast into the weekend a sort of a flight, both with the UFO and with my blood alcohol level. So let's make those questions happen so we can transform the show into something that we've never done in a very good way. How about that we.
Speaker 1: Had a very acute gentleman and write in and say that we should use the word undulating for one of our hues. And I say, well, now that the Patriot League drum and fife is is off limits for the word undulating. It's looking for work.
Speaker 2: Hmm, such a good word.
Speaker 1: Get you to continue. Now we have breaking news or perhaps breaking news soon before the end of the show. Dan, please monitor.
Speaker 2: I'm going to keep monitoring. Just promise me this. If something happens and we need to suddenly start researching and reading, will you drop in like a like elevator music, as like, Okay, we've took a pause to sort of study up, and we're back. I would love a little just like a dot weather channel. That's all I want.
Speaker 1: So here's where we're at, folks. We are recording this about five PM on Tuesday evening. There has been a ton of smoke over the last I would say three to four days that the Big ten is on the verge of announcing a comeback, that some testing protocols were being implemented, perhaps that member institutions were getting to a place where they were a lot more comfortable with the state of affairs. Purportedly, at time of recording, a vote has been cast and the Big Ten is on the verge of announcing some sort of comeback for mid to late October. There was a group of meetings this weekend among the Big Ten's council of Presidents and chancellors. They were supposedly moving forward toward this decision. They would let schools have the possibility of eight games, which would potentially qualify them for the College Football Playoff.
Speaker 2: A lot of work there with that word yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, the college Football Playoff already has been somewhat push back, So it's like there's a whole bunch of nuance there. You know, a lot of ifs doing heavy lifting. But the I think central theme here is that the Big Ten is probably on the verge of announcing some sort of abbreviated fall college football season. Now, with that being said, the PAC twelve, what are they doing? Well? Mid to late November is the quote most aggressive return date for the Pac twelve. According to a source, schools in the state of California and Oregon have not yet been cleared by public health officials to resume contact practices, let alone games. The league's presidents and chancellors wouldn't consider a vote to return until that status changes. Ideally, the PAC twelve would like its teams to have six weeks to practice and physically prepare for the season. That again, according to a source. I believe I pulled that from ESPN dot com, So lot of smoke here. It's hard for me to believe at this point that there is no fire. I do believe we're going to see both of those conferences back in some way, shape or form before the end of before the middle of let's say November at the latest, and that obviously is going to make things very interesting from a podcasting and just from a college football fans perspective, like, how the hell do we compare teams that aren't playing the same number of games that are probably land locked into playing their own conferences at this point, Dan a lot for us to consider here moving forward, but agreed disagree. Abstain from offering comment on whether or not you think it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: It has been interesting watching the dynamic of the various conferences and some of the talking points, And it'd be impossible for us to corral everything that's been said regarding the Big ten's return and why and how and precautions and steps being taken in terms of rapid testing and the thresholds whatever. It's impossible to sort of corral all of that information. But it is interesting to watch the PAC twelve in a very different mode at the same time, where the Big ten is furiously trying to get an extension on their dissertation to be able to graduate. Magnekum loud in the PAC twelves like sez get degrees. Brother, let's just get to that. Let's just walk and that's good by us. Yeah, it's fascinating. We'll see what kind of vote happens or has already happened, and what the threshold is. I know there've been numbers thrown out about how many they need to go, and that they're sort of targeting and all for one because there were some stories about well, you know, the teams that want to play, we're going to figure it out. The teams that don't, that's cool too. It seems like they're trying to rally everybody on one platform, right, that's what you've seen.
Speaker 1: Yes, and answering the questions around, well, if this vote happened, and why haven't they come out and announced it yet. My hunch is that the Big ten flubbed its first announcement so badly, yeah, that they want to make sure they've got everything buttoned up this time around, So totally, I would expect that if and when they do announce, they're going to have a working schedule, They're going to have timelines, they're going to have everything that anyone could possibly ask about ironed out and ready to send off in like a tidy little packet. Because the first announcement was no boinno Dan. That did not work out well from the conference, What is.
Speaker 2: Your ideal game total at this point, knowing that the other power conferences that have already begun player are already planned with a date to begin the SEC Big twelve and ACC have that ten game situation nine obviously for the Big twelve plus one, But what would qualify as a base number to get Ohio State into the playoff, Because that's not all of this bootooed. Some of it what's that base number TI seven seven to seven, qualify Ohio State seven and zero or whatever it is, six and one, but winning the Big Ten championship, whatever that looks like, is that good enough to make an argument that they deserve a birth But say, I don't know undefeated UCF or one loss Alabama. You know what is if we're going to start inventing arguments, which I guess we're going to have to do this year, what qualifies as a suitable enough season that they've played enough games? And this is under the assumption that there have been a minimum number of bangers on the schedule, I e. You know Michigan Penn State Law six. Six is a minimum.
Speaker 1: I don't know six.
Speaker 2: I would say this is there's no wrong answer, because this is literally your opinion.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a definite royal rumble quality to this where we're just going to have teams coming in at different points in time. I guess six. I don't know how many they can get in. And that's part of the problem, right, Like if they start, let's say October seventeenth, one of the dates I've seen, can they realistically fit eight games in before a playoff? I don't know. I know that conferences like the Big Twelve, the ACC. I think the SEC to some degree have built in bye weeks cushions that they could use to flex and move games to if need be. Baylors already had to deal with that, right, So, like, I don't know, I don't think you could run eight consecutive weeks and expect it to work in this current climate. I'm comfortable with six as a qualifier for Ohio State. Frankly, you could probably get away with three for them, given how loaded they are. That wouldn't fly.
Speaker 2: Do you imagine if Ohio State lost twice and just weren't in the playoff conversation basically at all? After the Big Ten restarted partially to have a team there because it doesn't seem like Michigan's of that quality, doesn't fully seem like Penn State is. But maybe, you know, I could definitely be wrong. There's a lot of talent and Happy Valley. But wouldn't that be something after all of these like Ryan Day quotes saying, well, Alabama's playing, Clemson's playing, and then Ohio State goes and loses a couple of games. That'd be wild.
Speaker 1: It will be wild more to come on this front. I'm my number seven, by the way, my number seven, lucky seven. Yeah, we already we already take six to be half a season. Seven at least gets me over that line, more of a more of a mental block for you. There for sure, one hundred percent. It also says a lot. And then I promise I'll move on about the state of the PAC twelve. Given the fact that virtually nobody's talked about the PAC twelve. It's all been about the Big ten getting those schools back. And you know, whether there's a financial or a political or whatever component to it, who knows. No one's been talking about the PAC twelve. It came up on ESPN, it it almost didn't even register.
Speaker 2: It's tough. It's tough because there's not a national interesting thing that we have been bemoaning of, you know, sort of losing with the conference not playing, you know, you lose Big twelve football. There's like the Oklahoma's been in the playoff recently and has been you know, Lincoln Riley has been a big name and outspoken in twenty twenty, and you know Heisman finalists and winners recently, and you know, the AEC obviously has Clemson and Trevor Lawrence. The SEC has their wall to wall pr machine, and the Big Ten has you know, Jim Harbaugh and Justin Fields, and there isn't that shining star, like, oh man, it's going to be strange not have football without Keaton Slovas, Tyler Shuck, Jimmy Lake, Davis Mills, Chase Garber's, like I mean, Herm Edwards and all of these things. Though I know you're google for Garber's, but there is not that thing that's that's going to move the needle right now, like you know, Chip Kelly or Pete Carroll, like in recent years even Chris Peterson to a lesser extent for somebody in Nashville or Louisville or Cleveland, you know what. So it's I understand why people are looking at the pack'll be like, well, that's fun to watch late, I guess, but you know, we got plenty early.
Speaker 1: It's bad in Kansas, it is better.
Speaker 2: I miss it. Ty Oregon has lost its best player on offense, both of its starting corners, and they haven't even practiced in the fall. It's great, Well, maybe come back. You know, there's like a whole open enrollment quality to this. We've got right schools and conferences. Opting out now, there may be opting back in. I saw Neil Farrell from LSU.
Speaker 1: He opted out now he's expected to opt back in Texas A and M had a big time receiver in Jamon Osbon decide that he's gonna opt out for the season. Sean Wade for Ohio State, potential top ten pick in the twenty twenty one draft, he has opted out of his senior season. May look, you know, I don't know. These are weird times here twenty two.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let I'm gonna let you in on a little bit of a secret. Sometimes they take cash advances from agents once they declare for the league, and coming back becomes less of an option.
Speaker 1: Well, good for them if they should get it. But yeah, oh totally, if not, whatever whatever, whatever makes you happy, Dan, So okay, I think that's the news. The news is that we're going to have two conferences, if not by the time you listen to this show, most likely by the time we record our next show. Opting back right, and we'll do our best cover. I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 2: It was very strange. I will say on Sunday morning, when I'm usually prepping for our recap show by watching what I missed and reading up and seeing, you know, if there's any any developing things we should know about that happened overnight, stuff like that. There wasn't much, full on, wasn't much. It was I usually prep on Sunday mornings for what three three and a half hours, and it was like a it was a two hour ish prep. Very texted.
Speaker 1: We texted each other, this is a much lighter lift than usual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, way lighter. I'm ready to preview games though, Ty, for sure, let's preview games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it. Let's dive in again time the week. It's week three. I've not been titling the show like week three or week whatever preview because I don't really know what the concept, what the construct of a week is anymore. It doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: We took a full twenty seconds to try and figure out what today's date was before the show started, speaking of washed, that's that's where we are now as a show. So I'm totally with you. So what do we call in this?
Speaker 1: Suddenly? I keep wanting to say, suddenly, Susan, it's suddenly soar, surprisingly soaring.
Speaker 2: Surprisingly surprisingly soaring Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let me ask you an important question, then put your money where your mouth is. Outside of that Miami Louisville game, what game are you most excited about? Other than the arkansass that got postponed?
Speaker 2: I'm interested to see how Georgia Tech follows up their win against Florida State hosting UCF because it appears Georgia Tech kind of has a feisty defense at the moment. So that's an interesting matchup. BC Duke could be your guy, Filled Jrkovich.
Speaker 1: Don't steal my face. Do not steal my thunder, you said, Duke.
Speaker 2: Team ty you liked, You seem to like and respect Chase Bryce and the Duke defense, right correct. So that that's sort of interesting. I mean there's I think there's individual stories more than there is. There are individual matchups, like what does Baylor's offense look like against not a great defense in Houston? We don't think, but a team with some talent is how does Navy bounce back after just getting demolished and they were just completely run over by BYU. There are they're individual things, and you know what, even without primetime matchups that we're getting Power five versus Power five for a second consecutive week, where we have wake NC State, we've got BC Duke just in the acc Syracuse Pitt that that registers to me as a thing, and I'm good with that.
Speaker 1: Here's the deal, folks. The action picks up next weekend.
Speaker 2: All right, that's fine.
Speaker 1: If you were to decide, Hey, I'm gonna do some home projects or I'm gonna spend the day outside and I just won't be able to watch. I think you make that trade.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't.
Speaker 1: I think you make that trade for the old time. I know, for the overwhelming majority of our fans, it will be good enough to enjoy your Saturday, to listen to the recap episode, and to preemptively knowing that all of this stuff is coming up. We got crazy. The royal rumble of college football is happening this year. Make this week, the whole week, your window of opportunity, so the whole week. Just do it, band Aid, right off, make it happen. You get two weeks of football and Ty says that's enough. No, I'm saying that's enough. I am. I am showing some foresight here, mister Rubinstein.
Speaker 2: Okay, I disagree. Why there is a chance, a non zero chance that things turn right. We're hoping they don't. It could be a seven week season, it could be a four week season, it could be a nine week season. So knowing that things are up in the air, I am I am going to recommend you watch Syracuse Pitt like it's the super Bowl week of the world.
Speaker 1: Move your week around so you can watch Austin p against Cincinnati. No, Dan, come on.
Speaker 2: I mean you're the one in love with desmon rit or not. I do, So that's something that you can hold between you and Austin p I suppose.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean they're just in interesting things to me that even if you're watching it in the background while doing other things, keep your eyes on college football because like we saw last week, there are weird games that are going to be happening that we're not anticipating. The Texas State UTSA game going to double ot and just going out of its mind bonkers. It's worth being in the vicinity of a TV if you find out something like that is happening. So that's a full on disagree from the Dan man. How about that disagree from the dan Man. Okay, yeah, well, just we'll roll with that, Daniel.
Speaker 1: Why don't we well, in terms of this week in the sleep, why don't we say this, the biggest game is definitely Miami Lousville. I think we agree on that. It's at seven thirty. My plan of attack, I've got a socially distanced birthday party earlier in the day, So my plan not close. My plan of attack is going to be to be home for that seven thirty game. If you're in a similar spot and you got to go out and do stuff, try to be back for seven thirty.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, let's talk about games.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about games. You mentioned Baylor. Baylor is squaring off against Houston at high noon on Fox. Is it the big noonon I guess it would be the big noon, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Houston at Baylor. I'm seeing the line all the way down to four and a half now touchdown before Yeah, of the Baylor Bears. This game came about because both Houston and Baylor had postponements and they were just looking for warm bodies on September the nineteenth, so lo and behold, here we are. We've got the Koog's We've got the Bears. I would never bet this game in a million years. We haven't seen anything from either team. Baylor's whole staff, their entire defense, it's new. I love Chas Brewer, always have. I'm gonna be watching that old line, though there were too many moving pieces. Last year. They gave up the most sacks in the Big Twelve. They got to keep Chaz healthier. The whole thing's going to collapse like a house cards. I'm taking points here, whether it's seven, whether it's four and a half, I don't care. Give me the points Houston plus the points.
Speaker 2: Houston had a defense last year only because they put eleven guys on the field on defense. That was the extent of it. They were truly awful, especially with how they finished out the year. I think they lost four or five. They gave up forty five to Memphis, fifty six to Navy. They gave up a ton of points. I think it was UCF. They gave up a bunch. The Houston defense is not good, and even if it improves this year, it's going to improve to not horrible, but still pretty rough. So I'm inclined. Even though the spread came down to what you said about four four and a half points.
Speaker 1: I see it on fandle of three and a half.
Speaker 2: Now, maybe somebody knows something that we don't in terms of Baylor players not playing. That's always the weird, awkward element of the spreads this year, I don't know when it comes down by half. So well, I'm going to roll with Baylor just because the Houston defense appears to be the worst thing in this game. But we have no concept for Baylor right now after a cancelation, and we have no concept for Houston at all. So yeah, I'm just going to take the team playing at home with even and not starting a ton of transfers like Houston is. So yeah, give me Baylor.
Speaker 1: Also at high noon, this one on ESPN, not the Big Noon but high noon ESPN Tulsa at Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State's about twenty one and a half twenty two point favorite here at home. I don't really have further analysis on this game, Dan, I'd say go back listen to the Big twelve preview for the deep dive of the Pokes. They should be really good this year. They got a lot of guys back. As we said then, I think it truly does come down to Spencer Sanders because the weapons are there in offense. The defense might be one of the best that Mike Gundy's had in his time in Stillwater. So it is going to be Oklahoma State's game here. They're going to win this game. It is a question of by how much. And even if you don't watch this game, you should watch other Oklahoma State games because they should be pretty dog gone good.
Speaker 2: They played last year in Tulsa and it was actually pretty competitive for a while. And Tulsa finishes last in their division in the American, but they played some really good teams tightly SMU and Memphis. Namely, Tulsa was one of those teams, not fully as bad as their record. I think they were two and six in the American last year. As bad as the record indicates, still a number of issues Oklahoma State, you know, we have not seen in any sort of important way. So I think, man, I had a pick for this, now I'm going back on it. I think I'm gonna go with Tulsa actually really to cover, not to win. Their defense was actually fine last year and I do like the offensive minds there. They had a really rough schedule in the middle of last year, but they were still They scored forty one against Memphis. They scored thirty seven against SMU. These aren't great def fences. They beat UCF score thirty four in the process. They beat ECU in their bowl game, so you know what, not in their bowl game. Excuse me just to end the year, I just I'm gonna go with Tulsa to Hang. I think that their competence floor is pretty high. So with the weird start of the Big twelve season, yeah, let's go Tulsa to Hang and lose by thirteen or fourteen.
Speaker 1: Some other noon games, we'll move quickly through these. We'll list them all, but just talk about the ones, as we did last week that we think are intriguing. You mentioned Syracuse and Pit on ACC Network. Pits about a twenty one to twenty two point favorite. They are coming off a game in which they won so badly that they shortened the whole thing by ten minutes played ten minute quarters in the second half against Austin p Cues. On the other hand, they were in that ugly game kicking in a gouge and dan in the mud and the blood and the beer against North Carolina. I like pitt to win. Very good defense, one of the best defenses in all the ACC I'm still uncomfortable laying three touchdowns though with the pit Panthers, Like there's a pat nar Dows equality that I can't quite put my finger on where they could end up winning this game thirteen to ten, Right, So I gotta go Syracuse plus whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna go with Syracuse as well. This is a friendly reminder that for a lot of these teams, this is especially the Power five ones, this is their second game of the year. What do I always like to say going into the second game of the year at this is where major major improvement from a week to week basis will occur the worst. If you have a truly almost uncharacteristic level of incompetence in week one. Generally, it's not that you are just a fully incompetent team, it's just that fall camp didn't go your way and you weren't ready for live action. You had a bunch of new coaches or new players, in the case of Syracuse, new coordinators on both sides. There's gonna be a jump between week two and week one, just in figuring out what to diagnose and what to adjust. And so I don't think Syracuse is better than Pitt. They were a touchdown worse last year. Do I think Pitt is suddenly fourteen points better at home? And because it's twenty twenty, I don't think necessarily no. So I think that's too many points. The fact that we're looking at Pitt as a three touchdown favorite in the ACC just doesn't feel based in reality. So give me Syracuse with at times of promising defense, to keep it a little closer than that. I'm going to say it'll end up being something like twenty eight to seventeen.
Speaker 1: Pitt also at hihnuon this one on ESPN three. You teased it earlier. It is Boston College at Duke, the Blue Devilty six and a half point home favorite. Bc DAN one of four ACC teams along with I guess NC State and the two Virginia schools that did not play last week this week, it is not a moment too soon. We've been struggling through the pandemic DAN and wildfires emotionally and mentally not physically, let's be clear, and social and political unrest correct and amid all that filled Yourkovi's herky jerky delivery could be the one thing that unites humanity.
Speaker 2: Like in favor of, or in recognition of, or in warship of, in what way.
Speaker 1: Well for me, in worship of, but in recognition of, to say the very least, he transferred over former four star.
Speaker 2: We do love herky jerky deliveries, especially when the name has jerk in it. But yeah, all hailed. Taylor Martinez is shot putting for sure.
Speaker 1: Filled your kovic. Former four star kid from PA was behind Ian book. I used to be really high on him, transferred over from Notre Dame because it didn't work out, which happens.
Speaker 2: Who is your favorite former Notre Dame quarterback transfer that you were unusually high on because you were I was getting messages from you about Malik Zayr's junior high school tape.
Speaker 1: You's got to be Malik Zayer Okay from Zionsville, Ohio. Yeah, I was on him when he was a sophomore.
Speaker 2: You love Brandon brand, Brandon Wimbush's arm. There was something. There's something about you and fully overrating quarterbacks who don't know not only don't cut it at Notre Dame, but transfer out because they got to cut it somewhere.
Speaker 1: Runner Keel, What up, Gunner Keel? Yeah, Yeah, I've got a storied history of this. Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like the George Whitfield of not evaluating quarterbacks. I think that's right. Okay, continue, So Drkovic.
Speaker 1: His mechanics are a little wonky, and the announcers are gonna talk about it. They are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he hasn't been named the starter yet, right. I think it's like a game time. It's him and Dennis Grossel. Grossel who's going to start a quarterback?
Speaker 1: I think so, But you got to give it to field. Dr Coovic. Man, if you're forced to watch this game, I have as a center space my filed your Covic awkward mechanics, bing go card, the word unorthodox. Drink every time they say the word unorthodox to talk about filed your Kovic's throwing motion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the two teams did not play last year. Duke, what did you say about five and a half six point favorite in this Yeah?
Speaker 1: I see it about six six and a half now, Okay. I like Duke a good amount for a couple different reasons. Mostly, they've already played, so they know where the rust is, they know where the grease is. I don't know where I'm going with this analogy. But also BC hasn't played an ACC team. BC doesn't know what to expect out of two new coordinators and a new head coach and possibly a new starting quarterback and traveling on the road during these uncertain times. So yeah, I'm gonna take Duke just more sure of itself right now to win by seven or eight points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me the Blue Devil here.
Speaker 1: Actually thought Duke looked pretty good last week.
Speaker 2: But totally I don't have a lean.
Speaker 1: I'm going BC plus six and a half, give me the Jerky Boys plus the plus the number Dan.
Speaker 2: What if he doesn't even play Ty.
Speaker 1: He'll play Dan. He's filling for Codec.
Speaker 2: Just making sure. That's all I got.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, next we disagree, I guess let's rifle through these other ones pretty quickly. At high noon on ABC, Navy at Tulane seven and a half is your point spread? We had the come from behind victory for Tulane last week. They're at home. Meanwhile, Navy got demolished by BYU. I am gonna go points here as well. I thought about locking up Navy. I still might because same come from behind you want to go double barrel? Should we do it?
Speaker 2: I'm why not?
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 2: I'm not held accountable.
Speaker 1: Look of the week. I believe that the game against BYU was an aberration. It helps to have that one game under their belt. They still run a tight ship with a quirky offense to triumph oh.
Speaker 2: Put a Navy pun unintentional but well done, well.
Speaker 1: Struck, and Tulane coming off that come from behind win. Now coming back home, this seems like a really good opportunity for Navy to, if not win, certainly take the air out of the ball, keep it closed. Tou Lane's a defensive minded team to begin with. I just I feel like it's like a three point four point game one way or the other.
Speaker 2: So Navy's been doing this thing even it wasn't new to this year, but the degree to which they do it was because of the circumstances around the world. But maybe didn't tackle in fall camp like essentially at all right, and Ken Neomodalolo after the loss of BYU said, all right, touch football's over. We are going to go practice tackling because that is apparent that after the BYU game, it's something that we need to work on maybe tackled in practice and has been tackling in practice. Tulane with the potential letdown spot after their tit win last week. Like you mentioned, Navy, you're not as bad as you are on your worst day when you lose by fifty two to BYU, and you're an FBS team and you have a history of competence. If not good football, that's your worst day. Navy's not going to repeat that sort of performance. So even though it could be a bad matchup, if Navy truly can't stop the run and we know Tulane should be able to run it all year long, I'm still going to go with the midshipman to at least keep it closer than what it's seven and seven and a half something in that range. Give me the give me those Navy points. I'm happy to take them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, double barrel lock. Let's go Navy and give me the bid shipman. All right, Okay, two other games at high noon, not going to go through these. We've got Austin p at Cincinnati. Cincinnati's about a thirty five point favorite, and then we've got a Liberty on the road at Western Kentucky. That line is up to fourteen and one half.
Speaker 2: Though, yeah, I'm gonna take the toppers, you know how I feel about them.
Speaker 1: At three point thirty on ABC. I think the headlining game in this mid afternoon slot would probably be UCF at Georgia. Tech line is about seven and a half in favorite UCFTER on the road. At one point, I haven't looked lately, it looked to me like it was probably going to come down to seven. I am taking UCF here. Tech's off the really big win over Florida State, right, I don't know if there's a letdown effect here against UCF.
Speaker 2: I mean, there has to be right.
Speaker 1: I would think there would have to be right. UCF is fresh, the down, a bunch of guys, and you know, who knows what it's going to look like coming out of the shoot for them in game number one. But I do think it's too much offense for Tech. Even if UCF is rusty, they've got enough back on offense. They play good enough on offense. There's a number of players though, I know, but I just I still think they're too good. It's something like thirty eight to twenty four. Give me UCF minus in number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna go with UCF here as well, and it does. It doesn't go against my rule of oh a team of a good defense at home as an underdog. We don't know if Georgia Tech has a good defense. We know Florida State has offensive issues and that Georgia Tech put themselves in a really good position defensively to take advantage. UCF should win this game by a couple touchdowns. I think it's a bit of an overreaction to Georgia Tech's win against Florida State. So this would in a normal like if this were Week five this year and Georgia Tech largely looks similar to how they looked against Florida State, but we had more data. It feels like eleven or twelve point spread for UCF, even on the road. Agreed, So I'm gonna take the Knights here.
Speaker 1: A bunch of other games here that you know, I don't think are of much consequence, So I'll just rattle through them here and feel free to interject if anything jumps out at you. Dan Charlotte at North Carolina. North Carolina a twenty eight point favorite. This one's at three thirty on ESPN.
Speaker 2: Three nice ending to their year last season, not a great start to their twenty twenty for Charlotte, so I think this is going to be a nice jump from North Carolina week one to week two. So I feel comfortable in the heels giving four touchdowns for sure.
Speaker 1: On the Notre Dame side of the ACC, we've got a matchup against USF. This is a game that they added to the slate a little bit later on after they knew they had an open date. They are a twenty six point home favorite here, mister Rubinstein. I you know, I always take points against Notre Dame. It's just sort of my shtick. But I would say that I am looking to see if they can improve upon what they did in the passing game. What we saw out of Kien Williams on the ground was really impressive. I think this is another opportunity for Iaan Book to build some rapport with his wide receivers, to throw down the field a little bit more, make some more chances. Looking at Notre Dame schedule, they've got this game this week against USF. They're on the road at Wake the following week before a bye, and that's when they start getting into the nitty gritty of the schedule. That's when they get to a game against Florida State, maybe not quite as gritty as we thought at the start of the year. But there's a game against Louisville as you get to October seventeenth. After that, a road tilt against pitt which is not going to be an easy game for Notre Dame. It never is. Then there's a road tilt against Georgia Tech before coming back home first weekend of November to square off against Clemson. So it gets tougher in a hurry. Here for the Irish, I would like to see some progress on offense to start feeling a little bit more confident about where this season is headed.
Speaker 2: There is an emotional component to this game tie that you have conveniently skipped over.
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk about USF. Don't make me talk about the USF game.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not talking about twenty ten. I promise you I'm not talking about that was Brian Kelly's first season, right twenty ten. I was not a great moment for Notre Dame football. No, an emotional component as it relates to something just before then. USF's offensive coordinator is Charlie Weist Junior and there's a major revenge play here, tie major other than the fact that USFS offense was pretty terrible last year without him, and I don't think they're going to improve to really good. USF started out twenty nineteen losing by fifty in a shutout forty nine. I guess to Wisconsin. They finished the year terribly. They exclusively beat up on truly awful teams, and I guess BYU last year, and with so many new faces on the sideline, on the coaching staff, and so much work to do on offense, I just don't see them hanging with Notre Dame anywhere near what Notre Dame should be capable of, even with a decent USF defense. So yeah, I think Notre Dame wins is by thirty five.
Speaker 1: Let me rattle off five other games that kick off between one thirty and four o'clock in that mid afternoon slate. App State minus four and a half at Marshall. We've got Stephen F. Austin at UTSA, Florida Atlantic at Georgia Southern. We've got Troy three point road favorite against Middle Tennessee State looked awful, just awful in their first game, and finally the Citadel a forty four and a half point dog on the road at Clemson at four o'clock on the ACC Network. Any thoughts on any of those games?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think app State should be a touchdown favorite. So I'm going to actually double up double lock this week, keeping the Mountaineers here on the road.
Speaker 1: Of the week.
Speaker 2: Mars offense. I like that play, Yeah, thank you very much. So Marshall had a postpone. Their their rhythm I think is gonna be a little off. They had a postpone matchup against I think it was East Carolina. Last week they laid waste to Eastern Kentucky and week whatever that was zero one and a half. I don't know. But with the weird a rhythmic season that Marshall's having, and I still really do like app State in the experience that they have On offense, they generate a lot of big, exciting run plays. And I don't fully think I trust Marshall's defense. I mean, it's a pretty good defense for sure, but I think you need better to hang with app State and app State got a nice little scare last week. Give me app State by ten or thirteen points here, not.
Speaker 1: Gonna lock it. Up, but I agree. Okay, let's get to the headliner. Dan seven point thirty ABC, Miami the swagger is.
Speaker 2: Back touchdown rings. Did you see those? The touchdown rings?
Speaker 1: I liked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Miami on the road at Louisville. Louisville two, two and a half point favorite is a night cap, Dan, I know you've got a thing. I've got a thing for Louisville and her boy McHale Cunningham. Okay, now they're going to score points. How do you feel about this game?
Speaker 2: Well, I watched this game last year, and I watched Miami beat them by twenty five unexpectedly in the midst of a very strange season. I think I like Miami here. I think I like Miami because their defense should travel well enough. And I didn't love what I saw from the Louisville offensive line at times, and what Michaal Cunningham looked under pressure, if I'm nitpicking, and the combination combination of Quincy Roche the Temple transfer and Jalen Phillips the UCLA transfer, and what their corners look like. And granted it was against UAB, I actually like Miami here. I think what we saw out of the Louisville defense against Western Kentucky was an indication of some improvement, but it's still mostly the same players who gave up a ton on the ground all of last year, and that's where Miami is thriving right now. And Miami gave up big plays through the air last year to a lot of teams. But still a good defense. I think Miami's combination of controlling the ball, they should be able to control the ball somewhat on the ground and get after Michael Cunningham, who we obviously both are crushing on mall. Yeah, I think I'm giving the edge right now to that combination over Louisville and a still large question mark in their defense. So yep, I'm taking the Canes.
Speaker 1: We are once again very like minded here, Dan, Yes or no, no, no, I don't want you don't want that. I know my hesitation is the same as yours. The defense was really bad for Louisville a year ago, and I get it, you know, first year everything right, That's sort.
Speaker 2: Of good against Western though they did a good job against PIGGYT on the ground and that that rushing attack they did. They were very good against the run.
Speaker 1: Last week for sure, absolutely, and they're going to be better this year. There's enough backs out going to be better. They're going to take a stride forward. But Miami's offense showed something a week ago, especially on the ground. They looked really solid. You know, say what you want about a win over UA B, but UAB should have a pretty good defense they did a year ago. So this whole like renaissance now that we're seeing in Miami is intriguing to me, especially if they can really develop that rushing attack, and due to Louisville what we saw them do to UAB, I'm with you. I'm doing the unthinkable here. I'm going Miami outright. I think Miami is bringing the swagger back and up to Louisville. Here. I'm gonna go Canes. Let's say thirty one to twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Weirdly enough, yeah, I'm good with that. Weirdly enough, if you look at Miami's last season, which put as much stock as you'd like in twenty nineteen results, but Miami a little bit more impressive I think on the road. So it was Yeah, they won against pitt they beat Florida State. They're embarrassments. I guess they lost at Duke, but they lost FIU at home. It was a bowl game against Louisiana Attack, but the Georgia Tack loss came at home, and they did beat Virginia at home, but they lost to Virginia Tack at home, giving up forty two in the process. So I think there may be something about this many Diaz squad on the road. They just might be coming together a little bit more, might be able to block out. I don't know who knows, but give me, give me the canes here.
Speaker 1: Did you know that Manny Diaz's father was once the mayor of Miami?
Speaker 2: Hold on, tell me more, Please tell me more.
Speaker 1: All right? Also in the nightcap eight pm ACC Network, We've got Wake, We've got NC State. We haven't seen NC State yet. We will get our first look at them here. I was not high on the wolf Pack at all after the preview. They're only a two and a half point favorite here against a Wake team that got destroyed against Clemson. I'm gonna wait to reserve judgment. Just don't know enough about this NC State squad yet. But as I'm looking across the slate of other games that are going to be played after dark, outside of what SMU or maybe La Tech. There isn't a whole lot of meat on that nightcap. You really got slim pickets for which game you want to watch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're correct. I like Wake here. I like Wake because they've played a game. I know they're beat up at quarterback. N C State hasn't, and so there is that the lack of rust grease factor. Is that what we're gonna call it for Wake Forest? I like Wake here. N C State was the most overrated team against the spread last season among Power five schools, like we mentioned on our ACC preview two and ten against the spread last season. It's a new team, there are new coaches, for sure. The game is in Raleigh. But I'm gonna go with Wake here. I think Wake is a little more solid, a little bit more proven, and everybody's going to look like what Wake did against Clemson this year in the ACC. If you are not, I don't know, Louisville, Miami, whoever they end up playing, I'm gonna I'm gonna happily take way care against n C State. Give me, give me the.
Speaker 1: Decks, some other action. In the latter half of your Saturday. We've got to you a fourteen point Favorite at North Texas. That one's at six pm. We've got games Texas State at Louisiana Monroe, Louisiana Tech at Southern Miss. We've got Abilene Christian at You Tip Dan, and then there was supposed to be a game Central Arkansas against Arkansas State that's been subsequently postponed because they weren't sure they could feel the team due to you guessed it, ongoing coronavirus type scenarios. So, like I said, not a lot there any of those games jump out at you.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see SMU separate from North Texas after I think Texas State might have some fight in them this year. But I'd like to see the Stangs. Do they call themselves the Stangs? I don't know. I'd like to see some separation there. Southern Miss curious to see what they look like with the new coach after firing Jay Hopson and Louisiana tack having. I think they were the reason why the Baylor game got canceled, So maybe Southern Miss has some new life with a new coach. Otherwise, no, but I do tie have some Colonial League action coming up in.
Speaker 1: You won't do it a full week in advance. Well, it's just it's our preview. Oh, our preview.
Speaker 2: You were talking about the frauds at Catasauqua.
Speaker 1: How do you a bunch of frauds? We have?
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's Northwestern Lehigh at Bangor. Banger was just Banger, Banger because it's Bangor, Maine. But it's just Banger, Okay.
Speaker 1: Bangor is where Julie the Kat's from. Banger is in the Colonial League.
Speaker 2: Salisbury and Notre Dame. You know, anybody went to either one of those.
Speaker 1: It's a Notre Dame Green Pond. Just to make sure that everyone is clear. And I do know folks who have been to both schools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Palisades at Northern Lehigh is there's a Northern and Northwestern Lehigh here.
Speaker 1: There's also a Southern Lehigh. Bunch of Lehighs in this area's Lehigh Valley. After all, Do.
Speaker 2: You have a do you have a team in the Colonial League? Do you want to drop the drum and fife for Are you looking for the sound as we speak? You know? But I'm going to go Northwestern Lehigh. Northwestern lived not far away from Northwestern University, and I went to college in the northwest of the United States. So the Northwestern Lehigh whatever panthers, I don't know what they are. That's my squad. I'm rolling deep with them.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go Southern Lehigh. Why not? Okay, I played against a kid who had a hell of a curve ball from Lee Heighten and he just made fools of the entire Northampton varsity baseball team back in the day. So it's certainly not them. But let's go south.
Speaker 2: What is what is your plan? You mentioned you're going to a party. What is your plan food wise? What is your plan? Watch wise? Have you set up the outside situation for Saturday game watching? What is Saturday going to look like football wise for you? Knowing that I guess you're only watching Louisville Miami.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's a good question because I am not hosting the party, so I don't have much control over the watch party, the watch setting, or the food or anything for that matter. So short of suiting up with your mask and trying to keep your distance and launchairs and hopefully it's a nice day, I guess maybe bring the extra battery pack for the phone and stream whatever I can. But I'll keep you posted. I don't know I honestly don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, nothing new for me. I don't know what I'm gonna be eating. I know where I'll be watching it in my living room. And I'm damn excited. Ty, I am damn excited. And I'm also excited to do the UFO Show on Friday.
Speaker 1: I am as well.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to the newsletter of intent, send us questions via Twitter, via Instagram, via Reddit via soliverbo at gmail dot com, and the UFO shows go into a new place this week. Ty, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I am as well.
Speaker 2: All right, fun show, don't for Western Lehigh as one. And oh shout out to the Tigers and head coach Josh Snyder. They took down palisades in Kindersville, PA thirty six to twenty eight September eleventh. Oh man, Ty's the mark here. It was a great sug I am hitched to the right wagon here, so we can do that now, I promise.
Speaker 1: I'm all new.
Speaker 2: Triple EPA neutripoli, nutripolic.
Speaker 1: How do you guys pronounce.
Speaker 2: Anything out there?
Speaker 1: Triply? That's in Libya?
Speaker 2: Dan, Come on, you see t R I p O l I. That's how you pronounce it.
Speaker 1: Ty, So as Dan said, don't forget to subscribe to the newsletter to subscribe to the podcast. If you like what we do, a five star review is appreciated, though yep, not required. Every little bit helps here. We are building into this weird college football season. Perhaps by the time we speak next there will be more teams slated to play college football games this fall. If news breaks, please do check into our social media feeds. We'll do our best to keep you as up to date as we can in this on demand vehicle that we call podcasts. We'll do our best, we promise, but it doesn't always work out. In the meantime, Poor my good friend Dan Rubinstein all the way over there in Chicago, Illinois. For myself, Ty Hildenbrandt here in East turn Pennsylvania, thank you so much for downloading, for listening. We'll catch you all on Friday. In the meantime, Stay solid.
Speaker 2: Peace you think your squad's taken down. Justin Holmes and Nick Henry, the Pride of Northwestern Lehigh and the Tigers cat Town