Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, and welcome to Morning Run. It's Monday, August twenty fifth.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ Holme. What was your sleeps for eighty three?
Speaker 3: Look at you? I know right? She is back and raring to go. Everybody, Yes, the robot goes back with us. What is your number roads that power ball has to get up to? What before you actually buy a ticket?
Speaker 1: I think I've only bought a ticket once in my life, and that was when it was like record setting?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 2: You could be a billionaire? I believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they have. We've gotten spoilt with the big numbers and then we don't take interest until the numbers get big enough. Now they might be big enough. We're up to seven hundred and fifty million, this might be big enough that we all need to get involved. As another drawing tonight.
Speaker 1: I always have the intention to buy one, and then I always forget to buy one.
Speaker 3: But then it becomes kind of a communal thing everybody's excited about and say, yeah, go out, but yes, it's it's worth paying attention to. Now. Also, we told you about this last week. This Kobe MJ a sports card memorabilia card with both of them on it. Well, it did sell, and it was for a record. It's now the second most valuable sports anything ever sold.
Speaker 2: So even if I won the jackpot, could I still have afforded it?
Speaker 3: You could have?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, but then and only then, well.
Speaker 3: You could afford it several of them. But we'll get into both of those. Also, Congress the Netflix at the box office. Netflix Streaming Giant just pulled off a first win for themselves at the box office on a movie. Robes has been out for months.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna need some further explanations on that one.
Speaker 3: We will explain. And then he's not the first name you think of right when you think of Sopranos, but as soon as you see his face and you know his character, but a beloved character from The Sopranos, Jerry Adler has died and Robes didn't know about his background.
Speaker 1: His background story is remarkable. And for anyone who feels like I'm too old to do this or it's too late to try this, this man in his death, as we learn about his storied career, is going to inspire you.
Speaker 2: I assure you Oh.
Speaker 3: That is very cool. Also, remember, folks on your phone right now, that Apple podcast app top right corner of our screen page. Little button says follow Just click that you can always get our updates. Also, we'll be talking about this morning, the fact that the Guard National Guard now packing on the streets of DC. Also, somebody keeps swatting colleges. Also that National Guard. Yeah, we talked about them in DC. Where they could be showing up in a city near you if you live in Chicago, Baltimore, or New York. Also, an outspoken Epstein victim has more to say, even though she's passed away. A brushfire is threatening the grapes in Napa and roads. A Little League World Series. Always rooting for the US side, but it's hard to root against kids from anywhere. It didn't work out for the US yesterday. US side, But just a very cool cute story. Always the Little League World Series wrapped up.
Speaker 1: Can't wait for that. We'll get to all of that in just a moment. But we are going to begin our run on this this Monday in our nation's capital. The National Guard is patrolling the streets of DC. Well now they're going to be armed, but it's unclear just how many of them will be carrying weapons.
Speaker 3: And it's unclear exactly why this escalation is necessary. The military said some members will be carrying pistols or even rifles on some assignments, and they be allowed to use them only for self protection and quote as a last resort in response to an imminent threat of death or serious bodily harm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again there's no word on what prompted the change. The escalation for the National Guard, which was ordered to DC as part of President Trump's crackdown on crime in the district. The Guard was supposed to be there to show a presence and support local law enforcement, but appears that has now been elevated.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I might not just be DC, because the President has now put other cities on notice. National Guard could be coming to your streets as well. Those cities Chicago, Baltimore, and New York.
Speaker 1: In the president's words, quote, I think Chicago will be our next, then will help New York, to which the mayor of Chicago responded it would be unlawful and uncalled for to send the Guard to his city, and then he pointed to stats that show crime on the decline in his city.
Speaker 3: And also in an ongoing back and forth with the Maryland Governor Wes Moore, President Trump threatened to send troops into Baltimore after Moore, in Trump's words, invited him to Baltimore in a nasty and provocative tone.
Speaker 2: Do we know what that was though? What were the words?
Speaker 3: Well, he just said he should come to our street. He said it in a speech. Yes, he may be sandastic. I don't think it was sarcastic, but it was still kind of forceful. It was almost daring him to come to the city. And he didn't like the tone. I just hate that. Okay, I'm going to send the National Guard in because I don't like your tone, young man. That's this is where we are in our politics now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's been that way for a while. Unfortunate, and I don't think it's going away anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Next up on the Run.
Speaker 1: For the second time in just four days, students were sent running. SWAT teams responded to a report of an active shooter on campus, and once again police say it was all a hope.
Speaker 3: This has got to stop. This call came in an eleven Sunday morning about an active shooter at a dorm on campus. There at Villanova and police swept the area and about forty minutes later we're able to give the all clear. Now, this happened to Villanova on Thursday as well, and that happened during a new student orientation.
Speaker 1: The university president at the time called that a cruel hoax. No arrests have been made. And then yesterday police got a call about an active shooter at the library on the campus of the University of South Carolina, and that as well turned out to be false. This is disgusting, honestly, this actually makes me feel physically ill. Who would do this and why? And it's just such a threat to response teams in general, just to not know, to feel that fear and to misuse resources like that.
Speaker 3: And we know we've been on campuses after shootings before, and just any college campus when there is a crime and then an unsolved crime, it just spooks a campus community of young people. Who is among us? Are we being targeted? Are we? And to think that somebody is I wonder if there's somebody sitting in a room thinking this is funny, they're sitting around calling it in he he.
Speaker 2: I really hope they can.
Speaker 1: I mean, it seems like in this day and age, the way we are able to track people and things that they'll be able to find out who the culprit is and use the appropriate justice necessary to make this stop a right.
Speaker 3: Continuing on our run now with Epstein accuser Virginia Roberts Giuffrey. She completed a memoir before her death last spring, and it's now set to be released at the end of October.
Speaker 1: Nobody's Girl, a Memoir of Surviving abuse and Fighting for Justice, is described by publisher Penguin Random House as an unsparing and definitive account of Geffrey's time with Jeffrey Epstein and Gallaine Maxwell, who trafficked her and others to numerous prominent men. The description goes on to say that the pages of Nobody's Girl preserve her voice and her legacy forever.
Speaker 3: Included in the book a book's announcement was an email from Jeufrey that she wrote just weeks before she died by suicide. It reads, in the event of my passing, I would like to ensure that Nobody's Girl is still released. I believe it has the potential to impact many lives and foster necessary discussions about these grave Injustices.
Speaker 1: Geffrey has maintained she was a teenager working as a spa attended at mar A Lago when Ghlaine Maxwell approached her and hired her as a personal messuse for Jeffrey Epstein, and then was flown around the world for sexual encounters with men, starting at the age of seventeen. She is detailed everything that she says happened to her, and so there will be a lot of anticipation for this memoir to be released. It officially will be out on October twenty Fight.
Speaker 3: We continue on the run now with Broadway and Hollywood legend Jerry Adler. Yes, we've just lost this guy. A lot of people know him as the actor from The Sopranos, but he has died now at the age of ninety six.
Speaker 1: Adler was best known as Hermann Hesh Rabkin, adviser to Tony Soprano in the hit HBO series, but his career began behind the scenes on Broadway long before he pivoted to acting much later in his mid sixties. I believe his first role he was sixty five.
Speaker 3: That's cool, Okay, that's cool. Adler was part of fifty three Broadway productions like My Fair Lady and Annie. He served as either stage manager, producer, or director. In addition to the sopranos, Adler also starred in The Good Wife, Rescue Me, Mad About You, and had guest spots on shows like The West Wing and broad City.
Speaker 1: Last year, Adler published his memoir Too Funny for Words Backstage Tales from Broadway, Television and the movies, and in it he wrote that he's ready to go at a moment's notice.
Speaker 3: He talked about how strange it was to be recognized for his acting after spending decades working behind the scenes. He told The New York Times in ninety two that there was one advantage to being preserved on film, quote, I'm immortal.
Speaker 1: But it was great to just read all the folks who had worked with him as a producer. They just said he was the kindest, funniest guy. He came from a storied family of stage legends. His cousin actually just was well known for her acting technique. That actually has a school at NYU named after her. That I know, Ava was that my daughter was a part of. So it's cool to hear his background, but just to know that he did not even begin acting again until the age of sixty five.
Speaker 2: So cool, all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on our run, we head to California, where a wine country wildfire is now threatening life, structures, and yes, the grapes in Napa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this fire is known as the Picket Fires. Started Thursday near Calistoga's burned seven thousand acres. As of this recording, the fire was only a lit seven percent contained. Now a lot of people in that area are under evacuation orders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, more than twelve hundred firefighters are now working to contain this thing. It's moving quickly and it's threatening to make its way from the hills down to some vineyards. There are reports that some winery owners and residents stayed up all night. They've been doing this, soaking their property with hoses. Can you imagine just the amount of money that's at stake here if that fire moves. So yes, all resources are being directed towards this fire.
Speaker 2: But it's scary, all right.
Speaker 3: We continue now on the run with the milestone moment for Netflix at the box office. This is the one that took some explanation. You're saying, ohks, oh, yes, the streamer Netflix has been producing and putting out award winning movies for a while now, but they always don't put them out for theatrical release, and they've never had one to go to number one at the box office until now.
Speaker 1: And what movie is that, you ask, Well, it's an animated movie about a K pop group that hunts demons.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: The Netflix streaming hit K Pop Demon Hunters has now found success at the box office and estimated to have made between eighteen to twenty million dollars this weekend, which would be enough just for perspective here to edge out Weapons for the number one spot.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that would make K Pop Demon Hunters the first number one movie at the box office ever for Netflix. And the movie has actually been out for months. It debuted on Netflix in June and has become one of the most popular movies, the most watched in the history of Netflix. Now it's not just that's not really the reason Robes they put it out. It's because the music. It's about a K pop group that saves the world through its music by killing demons. So the music has been so good we've done stories on it, setting records.
Speaker 2: On streaming trucks Spotify right.
Speaker 3: Setting records. So the movie they released is a single long movie. So people have been showing up in droves dressing up as a kid. Isn't that cute?
Speaker 2: Have you heard any of the music?
Speaker 3: Not one song?
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: Nikki, my best friend she sent me a said you got to run to this and I laughed. I did not click on it yet, but it was one of their hits apparently, so I'll have to try it on the next round.
Speaker 3: But it works. It was a good running song.
Speaker 2: I haven't clicked on it. I'm going to do it. I'm going to do it on the run tomorrow. All right, we'll stay with.
Speaker 3: Us here, folks. What you need to be doing today is to go buying youse up a Powerball ticket. You still got time, still got a chance to get seven hundred and fifty million tonight. Also, a streak was broken at the Little League World Series yesterday, and it's not good for the US on now. And a card, a simple card, a sports card, why they did it just sell for a record twelve point nine million dollars.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to this Monday morning run and next up on the run on it's getting serious people, Maybe it's time to get a Powerball ticket. The drawing tonight has jumped to seven hundred and fifty million dollars after no one won Saturday's drawing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody's won one of these since May thirty. First we go back that far. These drawings have been going on. They do two a week, so that gives you an idea. At seven hundred and fifty million, we're still not quite going to be in record lottery territory just yet. Do you remember that two point zero four billion in twenty twenty two and it was just a single ticket to somebody out in California that won that. So if you win the seven hundred and fifty million, sure you could take the seven fifty that's over thirty years, but no, your cash payout option is three hundred and thirty eight point six million, not back.
Speaker 1: You know, I remember the last time we bought a Powerball ticket? Where did it go to Christmas Eve or Chris? We bought some, the whole family, remember, and we opened because it was something right around the drawing and we were want well. Of course we didn't win, thus the podcast, but no, that was last time.
Speaker 2: I remember. We bought it for everybody to open up.
Speaker 3: How high we had to have gotten high?
Speaker 1: It was high enough where it was exciting and then sad when we didn't win.
Speaker 2: All Right, it was not a Christmas miracle for us.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, A streak was broken at the Little League World Series yesterday, and it wasn't a good one for the United States. For the first time since twenty seventeen, an international team has taken the title.
Speaker 3: Yeah, congrats to the kids from Chinese TYPEI who beat the kids from Nevada seven to nothing. I was quite dominating. This is the returns at the top for the Chinese TYPEY team, which has actually won more title than any other international team. But this is their first title since ninety six.
Speaker 2: We had a bit of a drought there, thirty year drought almost.
Speaker 3: It was so that's why they were so excited yesterday to see this. But the kid the picture was so dominant. He had a no hitter going into the final innings. But I put the perspective there. He throws eighty eighty two miles an hour. Now to us, they keep up with Major League Baseball, they throw ninety five. This is the equivalent of one hundred and seven mile per hour fastball in the Majors. Because of the shortened distance. They have a shorter distance from the to the home plate in Little League?
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 3: So you got forty six feet. This thing is coming at you. They said it's he's unhittable almost.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: All right, well, congratulations to them and the final leg of our run. We have a new record for the most expensive sports collectible card ever sold at auction. Okay, this card's official name is a doozy.
Speaker 2: I'm going to read it for you.
Speaker 1: It's called the two thousand and seven two thousand and eight Upper Deck Exquisite Collection Dual Logo Man Autographs Jordan and Bryant Card.
Speaker 3: You've nailed it, and that is the exact description. I will put it another way. It's a card signed by two of the absolute all time greats, Jordan and Kobe. This thing has an NBA logo patch from their jerseys attached to it and their autographs. This is something that can never be replicated, of course, because we've lost one of the two legends. But it's actually referred to Robes as the holy Grail of collectibles. Why are you laughing? There are sports folks out there really getting upset with you need to stop this now. This was expected to fetch around six million dollars at auction, and it ended up doubling that and sold for a new record twelve point nine million.
Speaker 1: The seller and the buyer are anonymous at this point, and FYI, the previous record for a sports card was twelve point six million dollars. That was for a Mickey Mantle card. The Jordan Kobe card is now also the second most expensive sports collectible ever, after Babe Ruts nineteen thirty two World Series uniform, which sold for twenty four point two million dollars just last year.
Speaker 2: What do people do? They just display this in their hallway.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, I would. It's art, it's history, it's special, it's I mean just some of the most historic, some of the things you can remember most in your life was something that was happening during a sporting event. All have them. Where there's Georgia football, right if the game you were at when they won a national championship, and down the road some jersey signed by some acts.
Speaker 1: So cute you were trying to relate it back to me so I could get it, But now you do not really.
Speaker 3: Okay, Hi, folks will deal with this later before right now, before you go about your Monday. Something we'd like for you to consider it is our quote of the day. This needs to be a good one because you kind of kind of annoyed me on the sports story there.
Speaker 1: Okay, well this is actually gonna speak directly to you. Take charge of your happiness and you will never be disappointed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Fine, the power is from within.
Speaker 3: Oh God, I know I need to be without you for a few minutes to find that power.
Speaker 1: Ah. Yeah, there was no one who like this is one of those quotes that was disputed. There were so many people who have said different versions of this, but I thought it was a great way to take charge of your monday because you take charge of your happiness and you will never be disappointed.
Speaker 3: I love that right and to that point on happiness and being disappointed, we want you to help us help One of our readers to our Yahoo column. She wrote in because she has an issue with her parents. She wrote in that her parents don't know she's in a relationship. She's afraid her family won't approve, so she hasn't told them she's in a relationship. She's thinking maybe she should wait until they're engaged. You can check out the advice that Robes and I gave her on our column on Yahoo dot com in the life section. It'll be right there, and then later today we'll have a podcast in which we kind of go at it about what we recommended for this young lady and romees. I think it's we more agreed than disagreed on this one.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, I agree.
Speaker 1: But what we also love is once you all read the column, we'd love for you to put comments in and what you think they should do, and go ahead and rate us on our own advice. We'll take that as well.
Speaker 3: Don't rate me, I don't want, don't know, rate her if you want.
Speaker 2: I don't want. Later in the week we'll go through all of your comments.
Speaker 1: It's always fun to read what you have to say and what you think this woman should do. So let us know, and please again, check out the column. I think it drops around eight am Eastern time, so by the time y'all hear this, it should be up and running. And thank you for running with us.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ. Holmes. We'll see y'all soon.