Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour on this Wednesday, Dan and The Dan Needs Dan Patrick Show will take you to Los Angeles through the magic of radio and TV. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, thank you for downloading the app. Also, we'll talk to Brandal Shambling as we get ready for the US Open, available on NBCUSA and Peacock starting tomorrow. I did like that Rory and Brooks Koepka are paired together. It will be a challenge that golf course will be a great challenge. Eight seven to seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Congrats to the Vegas Golden Knights. After six long years, they finally won the Stanley Cup. Imagine if you're eight years of age and yeah, most of my life I've been waiting for the Golden Knights to win and they finally did it. You know that there's some kid in Boston who went through that period where the Red Sox and the Celtics and the Bruins, everybody was winning, and there was a window where you're like, if you went two years without winning a championship, there It's like, oh my god, what a drought. You get spoiled growing up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mar Yeah, the socks like get rid of Terry Francona.
Speaker 1: I was like, you guys are so ungrateful. Final results of the poll question from our two seat, and what are we going with a final hour here? By the way, it was on this day tonight that Michael Jordan had forty five points, including the game winner, as the Bulls beat the Jazz and the NBA Finals in six games. Bob Costas was on the call, Bobble, join us coming up here.
Speaker 3: Momentarily we had up there better protest strategy a quiet, empty stadium or a full angry stadium. Right now, we've got fifty four percent of the vote to say quiet empty stadium is a better way to protest.
Speaker 1: We started the show we christened the Golden Knights winning, but we also talked about the Bills situation, because this isn't one of those let's make up some dry here. It's June and we need some talking points here. We need some you know, hot takes. Here's Josh Allen talking about his relationship with his star receivers steff On Diggs.
Speaker 4: Internally, we're we're working on some things not football related. But you know, Steph, he's my guy, I see him, I love him, He's a brother of mine. You know, this does not work what we're doing here without him. You know, we really wished he was in here today and he was out there and fill with us, and that's that's not the case. But I've got his back no matter what.
Speaker 1: The fact that it's not football related is what's concerning here, because you can figure out football and something changed when Josh Allen got hurt, hurt his elbow and the offense changed after the ninth game. But you get to the playoffs and you had the altercation or incident on the sidelines where Josh Allen is looking at his tablet. Stephan Diggs is kind of calling him out there. But the fact that they didn't remedy this during the summer, I find that very very surprising and it is concerning. And that's what Sean McDermott, their head coach, had to say eight seven seven to three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, twitter handle at DP show. Bob costas Hall of Fame broadcaster, was on the call twenty five years ago. Tonight we thought Michael Jordan's final shot, and Bob is said that that was not exactly a push off by Michael Jordan. It's like a major D showing you to your table. Bob, I still that I've never been shown to my table by a matre D where I nearly fell over, So I'm going to disagree with that description.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Dan, he wasn't falling because of the very light push. He was already stumbling because because Michael had faked him out of his sneakers. That's kind of what happened. If that happens in the second quarter of a regular season game, nobody even disputes. No one turns and says, hey, wait, that was a push off.
Speaker 1: Nothing.
Speaker 5: It is because of where it happened. Who had happened to one of the most iconic moments in the history of sports. Forget about the NBA. If Utah has a gripe, and they do in that game, there was no replay. Then in the first half, Howard Eisley hit a three that was waved off as a shot clock violation, and we had it on NBC. It's out of his hands before the clock hits zero. So that's three points taken away from Utah. Later in the game, Ron Harper hits a two that did not beat the shot clock and it was allowed. Now that's the five points. That's a five point swing. Of course, when people say it's like, oh, well, if that guy wasn't thrown out trying to steal second base, on the next guy homers, it would have been a two run homer. That's not necessarily logical, because if the circumstances are different, maybe what happened subsequently plays out differently. But in a game that was that close, you take five points away from Utah, they have a case that maybe they could have played a game seven in Utah a few nights later.
Speaker 1: And I also go back to the play that's forgotten and it's equally as impressive as Jordan Steel and Karl Malone that led to the game winning shot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's being guarded by Rodman, and according to Michael's subsequent testimony, he came around from the side and Malone ever saw him. Michael left his guy along the baseline and Malone is preoccupied with Rodbin and Michael comes from the other side and slaps it away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then that led to what five seconds to go where he hits the jumper as you guys were game planning after he makes the steal, and then there's a timeout, I believe, And then what is being discussed by you guys in the anticipation because we've seen Steve Kerr hit a game winning shot, John Paxson hit a game winning shot. Is everybody in Unison that this is going to be Michael Jordan taking the shot?
Speaker 5: Yeah, pretty much, because when he's stole the ball, he then has it and no one else touched it. And when you think about it, what's surprising about that Pippin's hobbling around with a bad back. He's Michael Jordan. He's going to take that shot. He didn't pass it to anybody. He had it the whole time. He took it out of the back court into the front court, made the shot over Russell. But when he makes the shot, there's five point two seconds left, So even though the Bulls are up by one, whatever you say, the possibility that this is a championship winning shot, the possibility that the last shot Michael Jordan will ever take in his NBA career, which briefly turned out to be true until he came back with the Wizards for an encore. That's a possibility, but it's certainly not a certainty because there's still five seconds left and you talk at score and Stockton got a decent look. Harper was guarding him, as I remember, had a hand in his face. He got a decent look, and as I remember, it hit the back iron, but it was kind of on target. So if that goes in, they play a game seven on Utah's home floor.
Speaker 1: Take us back, and I apologize. I thought for some reason when Jordan made the steal that they would have called a timeout then, but you know, no timeout. Yeah, that's interesting strategy, But you know, strategy always helps when you have Michael Jordan. We're talking to Bob Costas, who was on the call. Let's go back to the FLU game. What did you know prior to the game, as you know Michael's condition and why he was in that condition. You know, I didn't.
Speaker 5: Work the ninety seven playoffs. I had taken a hiatus courtesy of my good friend and patron, Dick Eversol. So Marv's doing the game and I think count of storms doing the pre and post. Of course, I watched every minute of it, and I find out later, and it's a big part of the last dance. You know, did he have the flu or did he have food poisoning? And if you've ever had food poisoning Dan, which I have had a couple of times, that's as bad as you can feel, knowing for a fact that you will not.
Speaker 1: Die, you know.
Speaker 5: So it was food poisoning. I think it's even worse than if he had merely had quote the flu.
Speaker 1: When you think of Jordan's career, it's almost like it it grows. It's like Babe Ruth. It tends to grow, you know, metastasizes. They're just what is it about that? Like Mickey Mantle's legacy, there's so many of these athletes where you may not remember them being as great as they were in the moment. But then as we kind of move farther and farther away, does Lebron get the benefit of this? Do you think the way Michael Jordan.
Speaker 5: Has no not as much through no fault of Lebron's You can make a very strong statistical case for Lebron in a Lebron Michael comparison and Lebron discounting centers. Because I've always felt we've talked about this before they're in a category. How do you compare Wilter Russell or Kareem or Elijah Wahn or a healthy Bill Walton or whomever. How do you compore Shack? How do you compare them to forwards and guards? Lebron never comes out these days any worse than number two behind Jordan in that comparison. But what Lebron does not have is as many iconic moments that are replayed almost on a loop and are in everyone's imagination, including those who didn't see it firsthand, going all the way back to the game winning shot for North Carolina in eighty two against Georgetown, and then being the centerpiece of the first Dream Team, and then all those postseason moments, most of them in the finals, but even the shot on Elo in an earlier round of the playoffs against the Cavaliers. So many of those moments and the iconic commercials. Be like Mike and just thinking about the game we're talking about now that is still the highest rated game in NBA history, and the ratings for those games during the eighties and nineties on CBS, bird Magic and then I'm sorry during the eighties on CBS, then in the nineties on NBC. The ratings for those games generally dwarf the ratings that NBA games get now, and many of those NBA games are on cable rather than over the air broadcast television, and that will diminish, not objectively, but in terms of the public imagination. That doesn't just diminish Lebron in comparison to Jordan or Bird or Magic. It will diminish Nicola Jokic. It will diminish Jimmy Butler or whomever you want the name, through no fault of their own.
Speaker 1: It's like Michael is Neil Armstrong. He's the first on the moon, and everybody else may land there, but Mike was the first there to plant the flag. Bob will be doing an hour long interview with Albert Puholz later today for MLB network and air to be determined there. A couple of baseball questions were well into the pitch clock. How do you feel?
Speaker 5: I think in general all the changes have been tremendously successful. We've had a few players and managers tell me that they think fifteen seconds with no one on base is a little quick, and they prefer a uniform twenty seconds nobody on and with men on base the uniform twenty seconds. But I haven't heard anybody dispute the general idea that the pitch clock banning shifts the two pickoff throws per at bat, which lets them base run and be a bit more adventurous. It's nearly unanimous that this is not just okay, but it's a rousing success.
Speaker 1: The A's moving to Vegas, does Vegas take the A's out of the oak They're taking the A's out of Oakland, But do they take the nickname?
Speaker 5: Well, if they keep the nickname, then the A's become the first team in MLB history to have the same name in four different locations, break breaking a tie they had with the Braves. The Braves and the A's are the only ones with three. The Braves were in Boston, in Milwaukee and now for a long time in Atlanta. And the A's were in Wadelfia, Kansas City, Oakland, and now perhaps in Vegas. But last night, I'm sure you saw this, Dan, and maybe you mentioned it earlier this morning, the A's had a reverse boycott night or whatever there was process. Last night, Yeah, fans came out and the idea was, let's fill this stadium, or at least have much larger crowd than we've generally been drawing to show that there's support there if we had reason that faith in the team. And then throughout the game they're chanting sell the team. Meanwhile, this team that was threatening the worst record of all time for a season like making these sixty two Mets look like a juggernaut. Now they've won seven straight, so go figure.
Speaker 1: And the Angels are still in the playoff race, which means as we get closer to the trade deadline, if you're tempted to trade show hey Otani, it makes it even harder because you're in the playoff race. What do you think happens with Otani?
Speaker 5: I don't think they trade him. And if they were to trade him, it would make the Hall that the Nats got for San Soto to San Diego look like a pittance. I mean, you'd have to empty your entire farm system, all your top prospects, plus throw in some players that can be useful. Right now, I don't see that happening. Plus, there's only a handful of teams that are realistically in the mix. If he decides to leave the Angels and sign with some other team as a free agent. So why would those teams want to empty their farm system if the real test is going to come as to how much money they're willing to pay him on a ten year deal or whatever it is to sign a contract with them, and some team that has no chance to sign him beyond that time, I don't think is going to roll the dice and pay the price it would take for a mid season trade just to have a shot at a second or third wildcard spot. Just doesn't seem to add up.
Speaker 1: Great to talk to you as always, Bob, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thanks a lot.
Speaker 1: Dan. That's Bob Costas, Hall of Fame broadcaster working for MLB Network and was the play by play voice of the NBA on NBC from nineteen ninety seven through nineteen ninety nine. Two thousand season and e Me, I thought when Jordan made this steal that there was a timeout and Phil Jackson let him go in transition and then he hits the jumper there. I thought it was his last shot because, as I've mentioned this before, Jordan would always say through their PR person with the Bulls, hey I'll talk to you when we win the championship. So we were guaranteed Mike was going to come on Sports Center, and I was there to do the interview. He said, when we win the championship, I'll come in now. Sometimes in other series, other finals, he did come in, you know, maybe after a big game. We would always request him and Phil Jackson. But Michael comes in and he's got his shoes off, he's got a Cuban cigar, and he's got the basketball's jersey is out, and he comes in and I think that's the last time that we're going to see him as a basketball player. So much so when he left the room. As he left, I go, it's a shame you're retiring, because I want to I'd love to have a piece of you. And he turns and it's as if the game is still going on. God, I'll never forget this. He turns, he goes, what'd you say? I said, a man, I'd I'd love a piece of you, like to play you one on one. I mean, I'm just joking. We're during a commercial break. I'm Phil Jackson sitting there. He goes, stand up, so I have my suit and tie on. I put the microphone down. Phil Jackson's there waiting for us to come back from commercial break? How the bleep would you guard me? So I got my suit and tie on. He's covered in champagne, and I put my forearm in his back and he'd go and he'd just tore into me. He goes, I would bleep, de bleep, de bleep, de bleep, de bleep, de bleep. And then he walked out the door. And then I go over and I sit down, and Phil Jackson there and he's looking at me, goes see what I dealt with? And I was like, oh my god, we come out of commercial break and Phil Jackson joining us. Now. Meanwhile, Mike, Mike left a lasting imprint on me that man, you turn it on, boom, it's off. We just won. I think his career is over. And I'm just in a passing comment stand up and I went, how the bleep would you guard me? Put a forearm right here in your mo like this.
Speaker 2: I think, Yes, Marv, did you think to yourself, Wow, this guy's a psycho?
Speaker 1: No? But I understood it. You know, I don't think he was going to suffer fools like oh yeah, you know you maybe you could have gotten your shot off against me or something like that. But I was just kind of joking because I didn't know if that was his last game, but it was my way of asking that by saying, it's a shame you're going to retire. I'd like a piece of you. What stand up? How would you bleep and guard me? And I did the forearm bar. Yes, Ma, he was retired.
Speaker 2: Chicago Bulls rookie was talking, you know, smack about him. He came to the practice facility and played him one on one. There's a video on YouTube and he's like, look at all these banners around you, it's because of me. I was like, this dude's sitting on a golf course and comes back and plays one on one pick up with some unknown rookie.
Speaker 1: I would like to, you know, do a shooting contest with Michael and bad Larry. Well Bad Larry our gambling podcast, said that he could take Michael Jordan if they shot fouline jumpers for one thousand dollars free shot, and Bad Larry said he'd beat Michael Jordan. He goes, hey, he wasn't that good a shooter. I said he was guarded by some of the greatest athletes on the planet and he shot forty nine percent. And eighty three from the line, like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 6: That?
Speaker 1: But I would like to, you know, a shot at Mike Todd. Would you see if Michael Jordan he didn't even have to do an interview. I'll just meet him someplace and we'll shoot jumpers reasonable request, you know, foul line jumpers and how about one thousand dollars?
Speaker 7: We'll shoot fifteen of them? Yeah, I want to play a quick game. Do we even get a response to this email? No, we don't, not even Todd. No, no, but no, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, you can't do it because I don't think they have a sense of humor when we do these things with Michael Jordan his people.
Speaker 7: We don't want to hurt our chance to get on the show, you know, you know I do that at this juncture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have no shot to get a low shot to get him. Not no shot.
Speaker 7: Yes, Pum, I do have something for you on the Michael Jordan situation.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 8: I think I mentioned this to you, but I'll save.
Speaker 1: It, okay until after the commercial break? Yeah, okay?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it good enough to tease the audience that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 8: Probably?
Speaker 1: Oh it's not okay, it's decent though Randall Shamblee will join us. Be interesting to hear his thoughts when he first heard the announcement that the merger was taking place. Give me his comments about the live tour and we'll talk about just how challenging this US open is going to be. We're back after this in the Dan Patrick Show, tire rack dot Com love them great partners. And when they first came to the man Cave, they told us what they do where their plant is in South Bend. They have a test track there that they were big fans of the show. And I said, but can you help the audience. I mean, that's what this is about. When we get a product, I have to believe it. They go, you will believe in it, and so we your fans, and they're right. Tire rack dot Com slash Dan. They have the test track, they put the tires through, push them to the limit. Then they give you the results of all of that, and they have the easy to use tired Decision GUIDs. So that's a personalized tire recommendation and that means the right tires for how and what and where you drive. They got the full lineup of Goodyear Tires, Ship Fast and free. They have ten thousand and recommended installers, or the mobile tire installation that's available in many areas. They bring the tires to you and then they install them on site. You can see the goodyear test results special offers. Tire rack dot Com slash dan tire rack dot com is the way tire buying should be. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Golf's biggest stars head out to Hollywood. They're already there. LACC capture the sport's third major championship, US Open starts tomorrow, NBCUSA and Peacock. Before we get to Brandal Shamblee, Paulie said that we had an update on Michael Jordan.
Speaker 7: Kind of I maybe I didn't mention this about about three years ago. So one of the things we've always wanted to have Michael Jordan do a sit down on the show, a good half hour hour whatever you've always that's it.
Speaker 8: That's the big one.
Speaker 1: That'd be fun.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So remember it was about three years ago when the Jordan documentary came out, right, we know, the guy who directed it and putting all together, and there was this little event wrapping it up, and I did a little pop by, and I've met a few people that were Mike deep inner circle people with Michael Jordan, like inner circle people that approved things in the documentary, gate keepers to all things Michael Jordan. I was talking to one of these people and I conveyed to them, I go, hey, so one of the things we'd always wanted to do, and it was a calm convers it was a nice conversation, and I just dropped it in. We'd always we would love to have Michael do a hangout sit down at some point. And the person goes, that was the response, which is rarely good when you asked for And I said, well, I go, you know, I'm not talking tomorrow. I'm saying before the show is over. I said, you know, between you and I, before Dan retires, let's get this done. And it was more like, hey, let's do this. And the person looked at me and they said, and this person goes, is Dan retiring?
Speaker 8: Like is damn times? In the near future.
Speaker 1: Meant that we could get Michael. Then I'd retire.
Speaker 8: Now, yeah, you'd announce it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I said no, no, no, but I go, I will give you like a good six months heads up okay, And she goes, give me give me a heads up okay. And I would say it went from five percent to thirty percent.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't a no chance, it was a load chance.
Speaker 8: I think it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now there's a possibility.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I say thirty percent, okay, possibly thirty five.
Speaker 1: So you're saying we're going to shine. Back to Randall Shamblely, Golf Channel leads studio analyst. He's out of the studio and he's at LACC, one of my favorite golf courses, the North of course. He joins us now in the program, Randall, what would you shoot if you played LACC.
Speaker 9: From the tips? Yeah, I'd probably have a hard time break at eighty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think there are a lot of golfers that you're going to have a hard time trying to break eighty. I think that that's a tough golf course. But this is what the US opened wants. Is that correct? That Parr is going to be your friend?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a spectacular design. Dan, if you've played it, you know it's all the buzz. You know, this is a town that lacks a good nip and tuck, and this golf courts had a nip and tuck, so to speaks in the golf architecture world, a far and wide lauded nip and tuck, and it's architectural eye candy. But I think it's going to play spectacularly for the players. Big wide fairways for the most part. But if you miss the fairways, you're going to play a tough price. But it's the green complexes that are just out of this world. If this golf course we're on the ocean, it'd probably be ranked, if not the best golf course in the world right there behind Pine Valley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I've played it a few times and I'm just playing from the member t's and it's challenging. But I told the audience you'll be surprised that the rolling hills, like you're not getting flat lies there. That it's it's got far more undulation than you would expect at a golf course out there.
Speaker 9: That's true.
Speaker 6: I mean, people, his job it is to to dwell on architecture and so forth, say that this is probably the best parkland site imaginable for an architect. And you know, obviously this was one hundred or so years ago. It's Gil Hans's line. Gil Hans said that this golf course. I believe it's you know, his paraphrasing a little bit, but I think he said this was the finest architecture that he's ever seen, and he's he's seen more than his share.
Speaker 1: And then you start to figure out who's a favorite at an event like this. I know that Scottie Scheffler DraftKings has him as the favorite. Then John Rahm and then Rory and Brooks are thrown in there, and Patrick Cantley. What do you think of that lineup there?
Speaker 9: I think DraftKings nailed it.
Speaker 6: You know, like you always look at the best players, but when you get to a venue like this, where the fairways are so wide and there's there's ample room to just air it out for the best drivers and the longest hitters in the game. But then there's this there's this really high demand precision.
Speaker 9: Coming into these greens. I mean, they're.
Speaker 6: Small targets, they're angled. There's a big, big price to pay if you missed them. And Scotty Scheffler right now is he's almost as far just in terms of ball striking. The distance between him and everybody else is almost Tiger two thousand and everybody else in terms of ball striking. So Scheffler leads, you know, Strokes kan Off, the tee leads Strokes caan approach. You know, it's more Greens than anybody you know. At the Memorial it was the second best performance ever Strokes game tee to Green. And he didn't win because he's just well, he's putting like you and me. Probably if he just puts decent, just decent, he should win this event.
Speaker 9: He could win it. Going away.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Brandal Shambily and you can have the coverage the US Open. It'll be from Los Angeles, LACC. It'll be on NBC. Also the wrap up show that is a wonderful show that Randall's there with rich Lerner and company that after every realm you can see it nightly. The drama from last week, the fallout, and you've had time to soak this in as how is that time period helped or hurt your thoughts on this merger with Live and PGA Tour.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm sure like everybody that heard this, they thought they were being punked.
Speaker 9: I did for sure. But now that I've had some time to talk.
Speaker 6: To the people that were really close to this deal, you know, I said the other night that probably the second worst thing that could happen to golf as if this deal went through, and probably the worst thing that could happen to golf as if it.
Speaker 9: Didn't go through.
Speaker 6: The plight of the PGA Tour was such that, you know, they were hemorrhaging money and legal fees, and also in trying to sustain these purses to compete with Live, to keep players from being poached and going over to Live.
Speaker 9: They weren't supported by the radis. The ratings are fine at Golf.
Speaker 6: Golf's in a great spot, but they don't justify twenty five million dollar purses, and the reward expectations of the tour players have been reset, i should say, to unsustainable levels.
Speaker 9: So when you when you look at the.
Speaker 6: Economics and you look at the fact that Live was not going to go anywhere, the Saudis weren't going to go anywhere, it seems, you know, more understandable the deal was made but there's still this impression that the tour sold the professional game to the Saudis, and that is the pervading impression in all of golf right now.
Speaker 1: Do you believe that?
Speaker 9: Well, when you dig.
Speaker 6: Into the details, not the not the actual PGA tours, we know it this investment arm that they've created, this this this new entity that's yet to have any specific goals.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: And then and look, the Saudis came into the European Tour as just a tournament, and the next thing you know, they wanted to run everything. And so now they're in the room as the majority investor. I think it's pretty easy to look down the line and think that they could they could exercise undoe influence in the game of golf. And when you consider that there were other economics solutions, no doubt I know of the economic solutions. I've talked to people that have offered the PGA Tour some money, and everybody gets enamored with this this PITH, this PIF fund for having six hundred and fifty billion dollars, and they're quick to say that they have all the money in the world. But I've talked to a lot of financial people in the last week and they laugh at that. The like there is one hundred and forty trillion dollars of good, clean, somewhat honest money all around the globe, and a lot of it is very interested in aligning themselves with the PGA Tours. So there are other good, clean economic solutions that the PGA Tour could have considered.
Speaker 9: And if the deal doesn't go through, I'd.
Speaker 6: Say it's back on the table, and I think that would be far more amenable to the golf public and to the tour players.
Speaker 1: I've tried to approach this as just a golf fan that I don't think they had altruistic motives starting to Live Tour in Greg Norman, he wanted he had a vendette against the PGA Tour, So I was disappointed. You can take the money. I don't care go take the money, but I only cared about watching golf. I wanted to see the best players, and I'm wondering what the game is going to be like in three years from now.
Speaker 6: Well, if the deal goes through, it's likely that Live will be dissolved and the players that had played on Live will have to sort of work their way back into the PGA Tour. They'll have to pay a fine, a substantial fine, no doubt. But it'd be great to have Brooks Kopka and Dustin Johnson back. Would be great to have Phil Mickelson back. It would look I mean, these are interesting players. They were poached for a reason. They had tremendous appeal. But if the deal doesn't go through, Dan and your guess is almost as good as mine, Because if the deal doesn't go through, innumerable things could happen.
Speaker 9: A lot of them bad.
Speaker 6: Players that felt betrayed could jump ship, go to live, give them more leverage.
Speaker 9: It could go that way. It could go the way that I sort of hinted out a minute ago.
Speaker 6: All of this economic investment, these economic solutions that buy and large is let's say, just a lot cleaner than the SALDI money could come into the game and stave off those petition potential defections.
Speaker 9: But if it doesn't go through, your guess is as good as mine.
Speaker 1: What's have you crossed pans with brooks Koepka? He had the line soon as it came out, welfare check on Chamblee.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, Phil Mickelson has had some problems with You do you do you cross pans with these guys at the US Open.
Speaker 9: I walked the course a couple of days ago in the right behind Phil all day long.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, if I look, I had asked him to come up on the set. He wanted to come up on the set and debate and talk about Live. I said, look, the seat's always welcome for you. Love to have you up, you know, at least from my view, if maybe there was something I didn't know about Live, he could come up. Because he's so invested in it, he could sell it, maybe make more money for everybody on those teams. I would be interested to hear the teams. He said, Look, I don't want to help you guys make any money.
Speaker 9: I'm not coming up. So he offered it.
Speaker 6: He offered He offered a poor Pierce Morgan interview, which coincides with the US Women's Open, which I'm working. So I had friends of mine reach out to him and said, look, I'll sit down with you on a podcast any time, anywhere and talk about Live all you want. But you know, look, they're going to take their shots at me. The day they took their shots at me was what was that? That was the Tuesday, the day it came out, which was ironic really because you know, the next day, in talking to the people that had a lot to do with this deal, like if this deal goes through, lives going to die.
Speaker 9: Those guys could.
Speaker 6: Could very easily just have lost their jobs, lost at least one third of their contract money, and have to then come back and their boss would be whoever the commission of the PGA Tour is. When you know, there was news yesterday that Jay's taking some time away to deal with some health issues, and we certainly wish him the best. But let's say Jay recuperates and is still at the Helm, they have to come through Jay Monahan, who you know, I'm not sure he's going to be too lenient in dishing out their fines to come back, because you could make the argument, I certainly make it that they've charged, they've they've harmed the PGA Tour in irreparable ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I'm just like, how much can you find Brooks Kopka if he wants to come back to the PGA Tour.
Speaker 6: Well, it's been floated around. I think everybody pretty much knows what he left for. So take the taxes away and there's your fund. You know, you can't reparably damage the PGA tour benefit financially from it be involved in legal issues along the way, which costs the PGA Tour loads of money which otherwise would have been reinvested in the tour or pension funds or purses. And expect to come back and still have the upper hand financially with the people you're competing against.
Speaker 1: But could you see Rory getting equity in the PGA tour and John Rahm and Scottie Scheffler, You know.
Speaker 9: That's the thing.
Speaker 6: Look, if this deal doesn't go through, and I was reading today just before I came on your show, CNBC was reporting that PGA tour players are considering outside bankers to take a look at this deal. Any outside bankers or investment that may come into the PGA Tour, I would say, would be a heck of a lot more rap in the investment from the Saudi side, and the reward expectations, as I just said a little while ago, have been reset with amongst PGA tour players to unsustainable levels, and to re anchor those reward expectations to reality is going to be difficult to do. But any investor that comes in is not going to say, look, we are not playing for twenty five million dollar purses unless the ratings support that.
Speaker 9: These people would.
Speaker 6: Understandably want a profit, whereas all that the Saudis wanted was to launder their reputation. Which if the deal goes through and you have the head of the Saudi Investment Fund on the PGA tour board, I would say, job, well done, you did it. You've laundered the reputation of a reprehensible, unconscionable regime.
Speaker 1: Are you welcomed in Saudi Arabia?
Speaker 9: I don't plan on going to read any.
Speaker 1: Time, but I'm just curious.
Speaker 9: But look, I.
Speaker 6: Think you know, this is not about the Saudi people. I have no doubt they're exactly like us. You know, the vast majority of them want to have a job. I want to have good healthcare, raise the kids, put food on the table, and have a nice time in the evenings. I'm talking about the apt apocalyptically radical UH leaders and in particular NBS who you know his his human rights record is not particularly good.
Speaker 1: Plain ice this week, Okay.
Speaker 9: I hope we'll have a controversy free.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no, you want controversy, you want that on the course. You want that, right, Yeah, all.
Speaker 9: The course, on the course, of course.
Speaker 6: But I wouldn't mind, you know, some nice quiet evenings, you know where my phone's not.
Speaker 9: My wife would appreciate me.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe Michelson just sneaks by one time and stops by the set.
Speaker 9: He's always welcome on the set.
Speaker 6: I'm sure all our conflicts, for all our conflicts, I quite enjoy the man's goalf.
Speaker 1: Great to talk to you, Brandle, have fun. We'll be watching. That's Brandal Shambley Golf Channel lead analyst and they'll be uncoverage this entire week and nearly twenty hours a weekend coverage on NBC and of course Golf Channel and the wrap up shows. They have championship coverage Thursday and Friday from four to six Eastern All right, last golf for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow after this? Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 10: Hey, this is Tom Verducci from Fox Sports, MLB Network and Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 9: And I'm Joe Madden.
Speaker 6: We're going to be around to talk a little bit about managerial decisions and what may have accorded to the dugout maybe in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 10: It's the Book of Joe podcast. I can't wait for this, Joe. We're going to dive into what goes on in the dugout and behind the scenes in Major League.
Speaker 9: Baseball, cars, wind, whatever else you want to talk about.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well there are no boundaries, right. Listen to the Book of Joe podcast on the iHeartRadio app, on Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Last call for phone calls. What we learned once in store Tomorrow. Doc Rivers was on the Bill Simmons podcast and Doc was talking about coaching James Harden.
Speaker 2: Did you like coaching them?
Speaker 11: Was it okay?
Speaker 9: Like? How would you rate the experience?
Speaker 12: It was challenging more because we were fighting two things, not like visually fighting, is that James is so good at playing one way and the way that I believe you have to play to win in some ways is different because it's a lot.
Speaker 9: Of giving up the ball, moving the ball, coming back to the ball.
Speaker 12: I thought the first half of the year, you know, I thought we were the best. Even in the game, I thought James was playing perfect basketball. He was a point guard of the team. He was still score but he was doing more playmaking and scoring. And then the second half he started scoring more, trying to score more, and I thought we got stagnant at times, so I thought we changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Doc Rivers Bill Simmons podcast. I thought Harden and I complimented him during the regular season, he said, this is exactly what you need. If you can get me twenty one in ten, twenty one and eleven every single night, we're good. And then all of a sudden he wanted to be the old James Harden. Oh, I wanted to play this justin Jones is a defensive lineman for the Chicago Bears, and he would still like to play against Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.
Speaker 9: How different is it going to be now that Aaron Rodgers is somewhere else.
Speaker 11: I wish he played one more year with the Green Bay Honestly, we went up there and we played it. We played a pretty good game, you know, but they got away from us at the end, obviously, and they won. But yeah, I wanted to go back up there and I wanted to play them, and I want to beat them. I want him to be there so you can see it. But the fact that he's going now, you know, I mean, it's cool. I guess it's better for him not to be here, you know. But but yeah, man, I'm I'm.
Speaker 1: Ready to take it over.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's a good time to be a Bears fan.
Speaker 1: I'm not evenna lie to you. Justin Jones, the Bears defensive lineman, hates Green Bay Packer fans.
Speaker 11: I mean, man, like just just the way they're just freaking obnoxious, just yelling and all that other stuff about things that don't even matter, Like we're not even we're not even running to play.
Speaker 9: And you guys are talking about boo oh yeah, Like what do you even talking?
Speaker 11: Agains even started yet, Like what do we been talking about here? Like, you know, y'all half of them don't even know football. It's so weird to me. But I was just ready to go back out there and play. And I want to go out there and I want to beat the hell out of them, you know, on their field. And I want to hear it.
Speaker 9: I want to hear the booze in.
Speaker 11: You know that.
Speaker 9: That's what I look forward to.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sure Chicago Bear fans would be happy with that too. I mean, you can talk a good game, play a good game. Oh he's not there. I wish he was. He was there, man, Packer fans are going to boo you because they own you until you change that. What are we watching tonight? Anybody got any suggestions here?
Speaker 8: I got one?
Speaker 7: Okay White Sox who stink at the Dodgers tonight ten pm Eastern seven LA time on ESPN. Okay Clayton Kershaw's eight and four got two point nine to five Era Kershaw I think is leading the nllen wins. His first cy Young was in twenty eleven. He's twenty three years old. He's in the cy Young mix at age thirty five, almost thirty six years old. That might be one of the longest stretches between cy youngs. But that's he's right back there. He's having a really nice season.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you know I don't remember this? On this date in twenty twenty one, Christiano Ronaldo was at the press table at the European Championships and he saw Coca Cola bottles, he removed, move those from the press table. The company's market value dropped four billion dollars that day. Just you remember this, and he said drink water instead. Is that what he said?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's health Yeah, he said drink water.
Speaker 1: Four billion dollars. I mean that was kind of bud Light before bud Light. That you're taking them down four billion. Although Coca Cola didn't come back.
Speaker 3: They have all kinds of numbers for him, like when he moves to different locations, like when he left Real Madrid to go to Juventus and he joined you know, went to the Italian League Serie I like they went up, you know, millions and millions of social media followers and money went up, and the league ratings went like quadrupled or something like that. Like this, people like him and MESSI their effect when they changed places and go play, it's just astronomical.
Speaker 1: Uh, this Dame sports history, Pauline. Do you have anything else that you'd like?
Speaker 7: The Lakers won the title in eighty seven Celtics. The Bulls won the title in ninety two, beat the Trailblazers. The Detroit Pistons in two thousand and five beat the Spurs in Game three the NBA Finals. They won the first three games of that series by fifteen points or more. That five Pistons team kind of gets lost in the wash.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Oh nine.
Speaker 7: Phil Jackson of the Lakers record his tenth NBA title.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see, I don't remember. They don't get credit for this winning streak. The Cincinnati Reds the Red Stockings in eighteen seventy suffered their first loss in one hundred and thirty games, so they had a one hundred and twenty nine game winning streak. I don't know if they're given credit for that, but that would seem like that'd be the longest winning streak aside from the Harlan Globe Trotters. The eighteen eighteen seventy Red Stockings.
Speaker 7: I got their record here. I got them at sixty seven six and one.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe it was a carryover from eighteen sixty nine.
Speaker 7: Right, because that team they signed all their free agents, I'm right, and they kept really good records back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure they did.
Speaker 7: Some of the teams they beat were o'riyan College of Lexington, the Union Club of Urbana, the Ontario Baseball Club of As we Go, New York, and they were tough.
Speaker 1: Todd, what'd you learn today?
Speaker 7: Branda Shamblely says, if he just puts decent at La Country Club, Scotti Schefler should win the US Open, maybe comfortably.
Speaker 1: All right, Cin O'Connor, what did you learn today?
Speaker 3: Bob Costas doesn't believe Michael Jordan pushed off either, a right, Bob, Marvin.
Speaker 2: Low chance that mj comes on with us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless it's the end of my career, Pauline, Low chance is the chance, low chance, no chance. My plan gives you control over your phone, and we give you control over Marvin's cookout playlist funk, soul, disco, rap and gospel. You decided, Danpatrick dot com and get for what Get exactly what you want, exactly what you pay for Verizon