Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning, This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome doctor James Hewitt to the show. James is a human performance scientist and the author of the book Regenerative Performance. So, James, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it's great to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: So I've been fascinated with human performance for as long as I can remember, and certainly a long time before I called it human performance. That fascination started when I was a kid. I was always fascinated by anything that went fast, so think space, rockets, racing cars, anything with wheels. And eventually that interest led me to discover this sport called road cycling racing. And so I was enamored by this idea that you can hit speeds of one hundred kilometers an hour on tires if you centimeters thick and It's amazing what you can convince yourself is a good idea before your preference of cortex is fully developed. But to cut a long story short, I moved to the Santa France to pursue this dream of becoming a pro cyclist. That didn't work out, so I returned to the UK to study sports science, eventually set up a coaching business, ended up working with what I call knowledge workers now, so people who think for a living, because I found out that as much as I wanted to work with pro athletes, they couldn't afford to pay me, and ended up working with these really interesting people who had very demanding jobs in London, where I was based at the time, who for some reason, after working eighty hours a week, wanted to go and race one hundred and eighty miles every weekend. And this led to this fascination with the workplace, but also this revelation but the same things that were holding them back from performing well on their bike were also stopping them from reaching their potential in their professional life, and this really often came down to this imbalance between efforts and recovery, and so I ended up developing this conceptualization of knowledge work thinking work like a cognitive endurance activity where optimal performance, peak performance, sustainable performance, however you want to frame it, emerges from this integration of effort and recovery rather than this endless pursuit of being always on. And that's been my area of focus and passion for the best part of fifteen years now excellent.
Speaker 1: So there are parallels then, between even what we're doing sitting at our desks and someone cycling, you know, hundreds of miles. There is a parallel there are you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I think there's several. The most fundamental I think relates to a general principle that sustained performance for humans, whether it's cognitive or physical, relies on us oscillating between periods of deliberate effort and effective recovery where we recharge and regenerate, and if we get that mix right, then we don't just bounce back, we can actually get stronger over time. There's this really interesting concept in sports science that some of your listeners may have heard of called supercompensation, and it describes how if we induce a load, we work hard, actually following that we experience fatigue. Our performance might drop even but it provides a stimulus for growth that if we have the right resources available in the context of sport, that might be adequate nutrition, enough sleep, enough time, then we don't just bounce back, we actually get stronger over time. And that general principle I think applies to the workplace too. And if you think about a career, for example, what at one time would have felt overwhelming early in a career, over time actually feels very manageable because we are super compensating. We're learning to tolerate and grow through that load. Unfortunately, sometimes we can get that relationship between effort and recovery wrong. In sport, you might describe that as overtraining. Technically we call it non functional overreaching, which isn't very memorable, is it. But in a workplace we might call it burnout, and that can be quite challenging to recover from. In a similar way that for athletes, overtraining or this nonfunctional overreaching can be difficult to recover from. So at a very fundamental level, I think there are general principles that govern cognitive and physical effort, and we can use those general principles to try and design work and life in a way that might enable us to achieve our goals, but do so in a way that doesn't harm our health and well being in the process.
Speaker 1: Well, that whole idea of effective recovery, I think a lot of people are unclear what that would actually mean, right that, what does it mean to have rest that has a function as opposed to just being when you stop doing whatever you are doing.
Speaker 2: So I often think about this in three dimensions, and anyone who speaks to me for any length of time soon picks up on the fact that I think in frameworks for better or worse, and maybe too much. So sometimes when I think about recovery, I'm often thinking about the replenishment of three at three dimensions, three of resources or three types of resources. You could think about it. So we've got physical resources, we've got emotional resources, we've got cognitive resources. So there is an aspect of recovery from both physical and cognitive effort that is physical. We know, for example, during sleep, that adequate quality sleep actually involves some physiological processes, some physical processes in our brain. They think it might even be associated with some type of cleaning process associated with something called the glymphatic system, which you can almost think about as the plumbing for your brain. And we also know that recovery has this emotional component. Many of us will have experienced this. Imagine your typical workday. We hold it together with our colleagues. For the most part. You might be in a difficult meeting. You hold your tongue, you stay quiet. There's a difficult interaction with a colleague, but you're self regulated and you're calm and you say the right thing, and you get home and you're with loved ones, family friends. They often get the worst of us because we're emotionally depleted and we need environments that will help us to emotionally recover, to restore those emotional resources. For some people, that might be people who recharge them. For others, it might be time on your own. And then finally, we've got these cognitive resources that need to be restored. You know, we're deploying cognitive resources all day. We're solving complex problems, we're switching between tasks, we're under time pressure, and at the end of the day, we need time. We need space where cognitive load decreases so that we can restore those cognitive resources. And again, you've probably experienced this. You know, you get to the end of the day and you've been making difficult decisions, you've been solving complex problems, you've been pulled in more directions, but you're on top of it. And you get home and someone says, well, what do you want for dinner? And he said, I've got no idea. That feels like an insurmountable decision. And because we're cognitively depleted and so we need to be in environments where we can restore those cognitive resources. But unfortunately many of us live and work in a way where that recovery doesn't happen, where you know, we're under emotional stress. Sometimes that's out of our control outside of work. Sometimes though, it's within our control, because we end up doom scrolling social media and seeing all the terrible things that are happening in the world. Not to say that we want to ignore those things, but the access that we have to this constant stream of terrible news is very unnatural for a human. For most of human history, that wasn't possible. Similarly, cognitively, we sometimes engage in kind of pseudo work. You open our laptop and are we really productive or are you just trying to distract ourselves from something else or make ourselves feel better because we're still working and finally, physically, sometimes inadvertently we end up compromising our physical recovery without realizing it. And the classic example of that for many knowledge workers is you get to the end of the day, you have a glass of wine. You think it relaxes you, and it might do psychologically in the short term, but even a single glass of wine can impair your physical recovery by about ten percent because of its disrupting the effect on sleep. So I hope think that gives you a bit of an idea and a framework to think about recovery.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and then we'll be back talking about how we can use this knowledge during an average work day. Well, I am back talking with doctor James Hewitt, who is a human performance scientist and the author of the book Regenerative Performance. So, James, we've been talking about the various things that you know we need to recover on these various dimensions. I would imagine even during the course of a work day. It doesn't need to just be at the end of a work day that we build in how these moments of regeneration. What might it look like a workday to build in regeneration, so we aren't reaching the point where you know, by three pm people have kind of lost it and are having nothing else good happen after that.
Speaker 2: So my number one tip would be to tackle what it's sometimes described as productivity theater, and this describes this challenge that many of us have that we feel a need to look busy rather than being able to focus on being productive. And that might look like meetings that you attend because of fear of missing out rather than feeling that you truly add value, or trying to make sure that your kind of status in your communication channels is active and responding to chat messages continually just to show that you're online, rather than being able to focus on your highest priority tasks, and as a result of that, we end up in this state of continuous what you might call constant partial attention, rather than being able to really focus when it matters and then properly recover. So my number one tip would be to try and tackle some of that, to really think carefully about when we're falling into this pattern of pseudo work of partial attention and try and create opportunities where your focused in periods of more deliberate attention, and then you have time to recharge. And those recharge moments can be effective even if they're only five or ten minutes long. Sometimes they're called micro breaks, And to give you a practical example of that, it might be that you reduce your default meeting length down from thirty minutes to twenty five or from sixty to fifty to create these little microbreaks in between, rather than having kind of the intensity and the utility of the meeting just drift off at the end and fall into that kind of pseudo work pattern. Or maybe because the meeting's only half an hour versus sixty, instead of everyone multitasking, everyone's fully present and engaged, which creates a bit of time for people to take breaks. So it's really about being deliberate about those microbreaks, and it might be that you even put them in your calendar, if we put everything often in our current except for time to recharge. But I often encourage people to think about it like a pit stop. I've worked quite a lot in most sport in Formula one over the years, and I often talk about microbreaks like cognitive, emotional, even physical pit stops that you introduce at brief periods throughout.
Speaker 1: The day, absolutely, and if I'm managing a team, what can I do to create an environment where people are not as tempted to do these bits of productivity theater.
Speaker 2: I think the fundamental driver of a culture which enables people to work effectively and also rest efficiently is that the leader creates an environment where there's people experience psychological safety, which is underpinned by trust fundamentally, because the data would indicate that a significant portion of this productivity theater is driven by the gap between how productive employees feel and how productive leaders think their team their teams are being, and that trust gap often ends up getting filled with this productivity theater. So I think leaders need to really think carefully about whether they're creating environments where people feel supported or surveiled. And unfortunately, in remote and hybrid settings, we're seeing this trend towards time monitoring activity monitoring software, which in my view is really counterproductive because you're eroding that psychological safety. This is all part of a bigger topic around how do you truly measure productivity in knowledge work where we think for a living. I think there's a bigger conversation about perhaps needing a shift towards focusing on outcomes rather than hours worked. You know. Unfortunately, there was a survey published which suggested that many HR executives still believe that high performers work longer hours, which indicates that there's still this general belief that hours worked are a good proxy for productivity. That may be the case, but often it isn't. So as a leader, are you creating an environment of psychological safety? Are you trusting people to produce the outcomes you've asked them to produce, regardless of how long that takes. But the third thing I would say to leaders is what behaviors are you modeling? So you might choose to schedule those micro breaks in your calendar and make that visible to your team so that there's implicit permission for them to do that too. You know, John Maxwell, Leadership Gury, said decades ago, leaders reproduce who they are, and I think that is incredibly pertinent to many leadership behaviors, but perhaps particularly to this balanced between effort and recovery, where if leaders aren't visibly recovering taking these micro breaks showing that we want people to work really hard but also to rest, well, it's very unlikely that their teams are going to do that independently.
Speaker 1: So what advice do you have for I mean, a lot of my listeners are people who have kids at home, for instance, which means that time off work is not automatically going to be rejuvenating right like that. There's going to be a million things going on over the weekend. The evening is spent getting people fed, make sure they do their homework, go to bed, all that stuff. It's not exactly naturally going to be rejuvenating activity. What can people in those situations do to make time off work still feel restorative given that you still do have to go in and put in your time the next day.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's going to sound pretty obvious, but for me, it's about trying to find ways to emphasize the quality of the recovery and accepting that the quantity is probably going to be compromised. I mean, I can relate my wife and I've got two kids. They're a bit older now their teenage at where they're eleven and fourteen, we've got a teenager, but we have had many years of when you're not working outside of work, it's kind of a different kind of labor often a lot of emotional labor, if not physical labor of having to just do you stuff. So I get it. You know that the life can be tough inside and outside of work. But what I'd often encourage people to do, and certainly we've tried to do, is to find these moments where you can do at least something to restore you, even if it's only brief. So there's a really interesting framework called the Recovery Experiences framework, and it describes four different experiences which can be really helpful for restoring those resources cognitive, emotional, physical, even The first aspect is that we try and find an opportunity where a cognitive and physical load does decrease. That might involve five minutes where you literally put your feet up and change your posture. Inevitably you'll be interrupted by someone wanting something, but try and enjoy those five minutes while you're doing it. So relaxing. In contrast, some type of activity can be really helpful. Now you might not have time to go to the gym, you might have time to do something structured, but could you may be shift you can meet around so that you can integrate a ten minute walk, so park slightly further away from the office if you're driving, so you have to walk to your car. Might not be possible for everyone, but it may be possible for some integrate these micro movements, these bits of activity post work, and that can have quite a significant positive effect. The third component is regis something called mastery mastery experiences, and this describes the restorative effect of doing something ideally non work related, where we can experience a sense of progress and achievement. Now for some people that might be hobbies, but for people who are really time constrained, I can suggest have you thought about trying to find a book that you like and it could be fiction, maybe not, but many people find that even five minutes of reading each day gives them this sense of progress, and particularly it's something they're interested in that engages them. And the fourth component is control, being able to experience something where you've got a sense of autonomy over your time. So you're doing something where you're choosing to invest that time and energy in the way that you want to again, even if it's only for a short time. So we've got relaxation, we've got these mastery experiences, control experiences, and then ideally we should experience a sense of detachment where hopefully we get this sense of mental distance and there's even for a brief period an ability to experience some time away from those work related thoughts. So try and find those little opportunities in your pace work, even if it's five or ten minutes, and empersise quality over quantity, and you might find that your experience some benefits.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Well, We're going to take a word more quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from James Hewitt. Well, we are back. I am talking with doctor James Hewitt, who is a human performance scientist and author of the book Regenerative Performance. We've been talking about ways to have little micro breaks during the workday and also maybe seese moments of rejuvenation even if we have a busy personal life, kids at home and things like that. So we often talk about productivity routines on this show, and I really enjoyed your sort of making fun a little bit of morning routines in your book that you mentioned that few morning routines survive the first contact with Monday. I'm curious if you have any morning routines now that you've do now or have tried in the past ones that are more sort of sustainable or realistic for busy people.
Speaker 2: To my morning routine. The only thing that is really pretty much non negotiable for me is that first coffee of the day and trying to be mindful and present when I'm making and drinking that coffee. So I'm a big coffee fan, and I've got a really over elaborate orange neared espresso machine at home, which I love, and one of the things I love about it is that it's a very manual and involved process. The grinding, the distributing, the grinds, the kind of the tamping, all that kind of stuff that anyone who's obsessed with espresso like I am will know. But that process of just being present, of making it, of drinking it for me has a grounding effect each morning, and obviously the caffeine helps a bit as well. And so what it encourage people to do is, if you do find that some type of morning routine is helpful, try to find the minimum viable expression of that routine, because many people do find that having something consistent is helpful. My challenge is when people believe that you need this super elaborate kind of five step routine and because the problem is it ends up, instead of supporting peak performance, which is what a lot of these influencers would say, actually ends up reinforcing fragility because when life gets in the way and you can't follow this elaborate morning routine that influencer has told you must, suddenly you start the day feeling bad that you failed. So try and find that thing for you. Maybe for you it is coffee. For other people, I know, it's like again, maybe reading a little bit of a book, might be going for a walk, might be walking the dog. But can you find a five minute practice that grounds you and provides that level of consistency so at least you start the day on your schedule, which I think is the key really, rather than feeling like you're always starting it on someone else's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, having something that you can actually succeed at doing is a good way to start the day, because there's nothing worse than starting the day feeling like a failure already and it's not even seven am. So we don't want to do that to anyone. So James I always ask my guests a question, which is, what is something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's about rediscovering the value of time blocking. Now. The funny thing is is I've realized that a lot of the things that I write about and speak about are probably related to the things I really struggle with. And a lot of people think I'm a really organized person, and I really aspire to be, but I think my default state is actually quite chaotic, and so I've had to create all these routines and systems and processes to try and deal with my underlying chaos. And I fell out their habit of something that I always used to do, which was to plan my day and look at her to do list in a very action oriented way and give myself specific time blocks for the things that I needed to do. And it was because ironically I had so much to do. It felt overwhelming that I felt like I didn't have time to do that little planning process, which is just ridiculous because it's probably when I most need to do it. But I've reintroduced that and it not only has it made me feel calmer and more in control, it's actually helped me stay focused because these time blocks giving myself a target I need to achieve X in fifteen minutes helps me to avoid getting distracted and pulled into other things. So that has helped me shift from a good day, which is I get a few things done, to a great day, which is not only do I get things done, I do it in a way that feels efficient, effective, decisive, focused, and I've got time for other things outside of that as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, time spent planning is almost always returned back to you in terms of making a return on the investment there. So what are you looking forward to right now?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm about to go into my final block of travel for the year and I've got a refund trip coming up to the States. I spent an increasing amount of time in the US, even though I'm based in the UK, speaking at events there. So I'm going to be over in Nashville in a few weeks and then finally in Detroit, and I'm really looking forward to that trip. I absolutely love speaking. There's some great clients of speaking with there, so that's going to be fun to end the year with some great people and some really fun events.
Speaker 1: Yes, ended on a high note for sure. So James, where can people find you?
Speaker 2: So my website Doctor Jane Sewit dot com is a good place to begin typing the doctor. It's important because there was a guy called James Hewett who had an affair with Princess Diana and if you just type that's not me, so that's a good place. And then also I'm quite active on LinkedIn and you can find me there and increasingly on Instagram as well, behind the scenes and stuff.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Well, James, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback about this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. And in the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.