Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: New poll question, why don't we clean up the first two hours and then we'll dive into the final hour.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, d And.
Speaker 4: How comfortable are you approaching a celebrity? Fifty seven percent say much trepidation? Okay, best picture of the twenty ten's of Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Clayton Kershaw or other your guy, Clayton Kershaw is leading that at forty seven percent, okay. And then what's more impressive? David Well's drunk perfect game with Doc Elis is ZLSD now hitter. Sixty seven percent say David Well's perfect game. I'm going to probably disagree with that, but both impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Doc Yellis, that was nineteen seventy, I believe with the Pirates, and I think it was against the Cincinnati Reds.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 2: By the way, we don't know where Lebron is going. What is really interesting for me is the number of insiders who don't know what's going on, and they're even careful of trying to project couch this a little bit like, hey, not quite sure, you know, the indications could be I'm hearing nobody's got it nailed down. It still feels like Cleveland. It's felt like Cleveland even since Lebron made the announcement. Before he made the announcement, I thought if he left, it would be Cleveland. NBA title odds the Spurs and Thunder, according to DraftKings the two best odds, and then it drops down drastically to the Knicks. So Spurs and Thunder plus two seventy. By the way, gambling podcast Dan Patrick takes a gamble.
Speaker 3: We'll have that for you after the show.
Speaker 2: Then it goes to the Knicks at plus eight fifty, the Celtics plus thirteen hundred, the seventy six Ers who just got Jalen Brown at plus two thousand, Cavaliers plus twenty five hundred. The Raptors have the same odds as the Cavaliers do plus twenty five hundred. They heat twenty five hundred Pistons, twenty five hundred Nuggets plus twenty five hundred Timberwolves plus twenty five hundred. I don't know what Lebron going to the Cavaliers will do to that number, but you would think it would probably bring the Cavaliers up to where the seventy six ers are at plus two thousand.
Speaker 4: Yes, Dyling, it is crazy that the Spurs and Thunder are both plus two seventy to win the title. If you think about that from like a value standpoint, that's awful. And given that there's been what eight non repeating champions the last eight years, it's like that seems I don't know, the Jews hasn't worth the squeeze there.
Speaker 3: Well, the Celtics.
Speaker 2: That's what confuses me, because the Celtics aren't better today than they were a couple of weeks ago. The seventy six ers are in the seventy six ers knocked out the Celtics or in the playoffs here, I would think that they would be. They'd have better odds if you give me that back court and you give me Jalen Brown. Okay, I like my chances there, and I can get a Joe ellenb that might be on a minutes restriction there, But the Cavaliers get Lebron, it's probably gonna be bumped up to plus two thousand. But the Knicks, they're still the favorites in the East, with the Celtics, seventy six Ers, Cavaliers and the Raptors. After that, all right, we'll get some phone calls here. I just noticed this, the top fifteen payrolls in baseball. Out of the top fifteen, how many have a winning record?
Speaker 3: If you said five, you would be correct. Right now. You've got Tigers under five hundred.
Speaker 2: You got Astros under five hundred, you got Blue Jays under five hundred.
Speaker 3: You got the Mets.
Speaker 2: Yay, the Mets. They're first in something. They're thirty nine and fifty four. But five teams with a winning record so far. Justin Verlander announced he's going to retire at the end of the season, and you know, you look back. He won an MVP in twenty eleven. Kershaw won one in twenty fourteen. I don't think you'll have a starting pitcher be an MVP ever, or at least in our life time, unless baseball changes, because I don't know, well, I don't know if baseball changes and we go back to valuing the starting pitcher. But sure's her Hall of famer Verlander. Oh Tani is going to be a Hall of Famer, but he's that's not based off just pitching.
Speaker 3: Is Chris Saale a Hall of Famer? Maybe?
Speaker 2: Uh Eraaldis Chapman. I brought up because he's an eight time All Star. Now, I'm sure the Hall of Fame, with everything that's happened off the field with Eraaldist Chapman would probably hold him out best they could. But he has the most strikeouts for a reliever in baseball history.
Speaker 4: Yes, Dylan, yeah, remember when he I think he was the first guy to throw one oh five too, And now that's just like.
Speaker 2: Eh, whatever, Well, still one oh five is still one o five. There's only four or five guys who've gone one oh five. I just don't know the physics of this, Like how fast can you throw?
Speaker 3: It's like the golf ball.
Speaker 2: You know, they've created leverage with the ground, so they use the ground and a lot of times these guys one foot is completely off the ground when they hit. Rory's mastered this, justin Thomas. You know, these great golfers have mastered this. I don't know if pitching we like, can we go to one oh seven?
Speaker 3: One oh eight?
Speaker 2: And what is it that's going to get you there? You know they you know, the different workout regimens. They they've studied the body, the release point, legs, using the ground, same thing. But I don't know how fast is going to be too fast for Major League baseball, Yeah, Daling, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: It's interesting to think about like the true limitations of like the human body, and like how does that what makes that evolve over time? Is it like increases in medicine or like you know, recovery and stuff like that, or is it just people are straight up just getting stronger faster over time.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like the one hundred meter dash, and I remember when I watched there was an Olympian who had such an increase in their time, and don't you talk to sprinters and they say, that's not possible, And of course it wasn't possible because we found out that they cheated. But you know, you're still pushing the body, Like how fast can somebody run? Remember the four minute mile? Now you know you're three forty nine or whatever?
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Running marathons, Like if you ran over two hours, right, man, Okay, you're flying Now we're approaching under two hours for a marathon. The one hundred meter dash, is somebody going to approach Usain Bolt? Nobody's done that yet. I don't know if Lyles will be able to get there, but there are just certain things where you go how far can you push this, Yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 5: I found a few different pitching studies and it's interesting. I found one from the early nineties done by Harvard and they said they projected out over the next twenty five five years and they said the hardest someone could throw based on evolution medicine one hundred and five, one hundred and six, and this was printed in the early nineties. I found one from twenty twenty four and they've got it at one eleven.
Speaker 3: They think in our lifetime.
Speaker 5: They said, like they're using the next fifty years as a benchmark. They think one to eleven would be the max because evolution doesn't move that fast. They're looking at diet, exercise. And you mentioned Tommy John that the Tommy John surgery could get so good that they can improve the ligament for the back half of your career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I wonder as we get towards AI and you're going to replace a ligament, and can you replace it with a stronger ligament, more durable ligament, you know, better than the original?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dylan, Yeah, Well, if there's a twelve year old who throws eighty on a Little League man, that's like one eleven too. But there's the it's I feel like it's like with the speed thing, right, It's like can you make yourself It feels like one of those things where it's like that's just how fast you are, Like can you make yourself faster? Yeah, like just by getting strong, like lifting, and.
Speaker 2: A lot of it is form. Yeah, that you need to take advantage of your form. And you know these guys who use their lower bodies, you know, that's that's where you get all that power from Matt in Ohio, Hi, Matt, what do you have for me?
Speaker 6: Good morning? On the Tommy John surgery. I think a lot of this just starts with these kids. All they do is play ball, especially with AAU and with summer ball. I know leagues have played eighty games for twelve year olds. Another thing is I was watching a U eleven softball girls game. It's still through one hundred and thirty five pitches. Then the last thing, I ran into a person that said, I've got a five year old just playing soccer and I got to get her of the camp because I don't want her to get behind.
Speaker 2: It's just oh yeah, I mean the to get into the system, AAU system, travel squads it is, and I would tell parents, diversify. Don't let them play just one sport. Learn how to play other sports. Maybe it's the individual sport. Maybe it's golf, Maybe it's soccer, or maybe it's a softball you're gonna play and you haven't played before you're normally a basketball player. Maybe it's tennis, whatever it is, diversify because you've got to learn how to compete in a different way. Sometimes it's by yourself and you don't lean on a team, or it's with a team and you get that.
Speaker 3: Feeling of what it's all about.
Speaker 2: But to get in and get with these travel teams, and it's expensive for parents and it is time consuming. Thank God, my kids weren't good at sports, so we didn't have to travel. We acted like we were, you know, really rooting for them to be able to get on a travel squad, and they never did. My wife and I privately were like, thank god, Yes, Dylan.
Speaker 4: The soccer thing, in like the barriers to entry that they've created is kind of even crazier to me because it's like from an equipment and like facility standpoint, you don't need a lot like you know, paraclets, shine guards, whatever. But it's like the hockey's and lacrosses of the world where it's like you've got all this gear, nice time and stuff that makes like it's inherently prices people out. But soccer as a sport should be one of the more inclusive ones just based on them.
Speaker 2: Well, same thing with basketball, Yeah, you know, you just need a hoop in a ball. But as Kevin Fraser from Entertainment Tonight, he came in, he's on fire and his son is a soccer player, and he's just talking about the system is wrong with USA that you got to get into these academies, you got to pay to get into these academies. They own you when they get into these academies. The best players aren't going into the academies and therefore we don't put the best product on the field. And he said that's the problem with USA soccer, and I you know, Kevin was very passionate about it.
Speaker 3: He wanted to jump on.
Speaker 2: He walked in, he was like, I got a rail on Alexi Lawllas.
Speaker 3: I'm like, come on.
Speaker 2: He didn't get the outlet on Entertainment Tonight there, and you know, he was very passionate about this. But he said, we're not going to get better, like it's the same result. Hey, you got to the knockout round. We get to the knockout round and then we get knocked out. You know the opposition is Mike Tyson. And that's part of the problem is we tend to convince ourselves that, hey, this is just the start. Christian Polisics said after the loss, Hey, this is just the start.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: We keep starting at the same place. I don't want to start. I want to be I don't know, maybe a mile down the road instead of the starting line once again. But it's not the start because I don't see that the other countries aren't going to go. Let's let the United States catch up. That ain't happening. France is going to be dominating for quite some time. Spain is going to be, you know, Argentina even when Messi leaves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: And when casual fans are watching the World Cup and we're facing Belgium and they say USA has three hundred and fifty people million people, Belgium has twelve million. Why can't we beat the country with three hundred and fifty million people over twelve million. It's the structure, not the population.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and having these academies, and I get that. You see this with other sports other countries. You know, Luka Doncic was probably in an academy at age thirteen. Joker was in an academy at you know, Dirk Novitsky in an academy. You're being raised to be a professional basketball player. And I think MLS now this according to Kevin Fraser and his son, you know, plays soccer competitively in Los Angeles, that MLS is maybe stunting the growth of USA soccer.
Speaker 3: That's according to Kevin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dyling, Yeah, I mean you see how big of business like youth high school sports are. Anyways, I amg academy in Florida, which is basically just a factory for kids to become professional athletes, sold to private equity for like a billion dollars a couple of years ago. So it ain't slowing down anytime soon.
Speaker 2: We say, good morning if you're watching on Peacock, another beautiful day here the American Century. Uh, they start for real tomorrow. We went to the Pairings party last night, hung out hoping somebody would recognize us. We did, look sad. I mean, I got to admit we did, and I'm including me that you're kind of going, well, hope. Somebody comes up and says hello, and then all of a sudden, Marvin.
Speaker 3: Goes, Doc Rivers, Hey, Doc Rivers here.
Speaker 2: I go all right, friendly face, and then all of a sudden, Fritzy starts doing his Doc Rivers impersonation.
Speaker 3: Come on, Jed, you go.
Speaker 2: And then I see Doc and Doc and Larry David flew in together to play in the event. They've been trying to get Larry David from HERB for a couple of years now. I don't know if Larry's gonna stay there. I'm gonna guess Larry doesn't stay the whole weekend. I think he's gonna probably be a one and done because he even said he goes I'm playing Ish, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: Everything around Larry David feels like an episode of his show.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 5: It feels like he could hit you with a golf ball and knock you out live on air, and that would be a curb episode Ish, Yes, Dylan.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean even the fact that he was like, yeah, He's like, you never invite me to this thing. He's like, Larry, we have invited to you the past three years. We've sent it to HBO, we sent it to your house.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, they talked about that last year because one of the people who put the event on, they're like, man, trying to get Larry, and we just we can't get him, you know, but we're gonna try it. We're gonna keep on trying. And so when I saw him last night, it was like, holy you're here, and he goes heh Yes, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: I do like the fact that the president of NBC Sports came up to us and he knew our names.
Speaker 6: Let me know.
Speaker 3: You're on peacock here. Yes, everything seems to be a painful inconvenience. Yes, Larry David and I don't think that's an act at all.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's Larry as Larry. It's not an episode. It just feels like you're looking for cameras. When you're around Larry, you're like, this is this an episode? Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: The last time we had Larry David in studio, we were in California and we all have headsets on, and you offer the guest headset or not headset. He sat down and looks at us with our headphones on.
Speaker 3: He goes, I don't get a headphone. I want to be one of the guys.
Speaker 5: I can't do him, but he was doing himself.
Speaker 2: Let's see Bucky in Notre Dame. Buck he's back, Hi, Buck, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 3: DP?
Speaker 6: Six foot a very pelt to eighteen point five. When you guys written Notre Dame, I met everybody and you guys talking about celebrities and going up to him and talking to him stuff. Well, I'm in Legends, that bar restaurant right next door to you guys, and I go in there, and Marvin there, and I'm right next to Marvin, and we're looking at each other. Hey, how's it going? Blah blah blah, And we wash each other, you know, we wash hands. We walk out and we're talking and this and that. You guys get done. We meet you guys in line afterwards, and Marvin's right right next to you and Seton and Marvin's like, hey, this is Bucket. This met him in the bathroom and stuff like that, and Seton says, well, this must be a different kind of shake then, and I shook everybody's hands and everybody laughing and stuff. But yeah, you guys were awesome, But I just wanted to call and say hey, and everything looks great out there, and have a great weekend and hit them straight.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Bucky. We don't get to play anymore. We played on Monday, which was great. We know the course, you know, we had our yardage books out we're playing. I kept thinking, at altitude, I'm going to be blasting shots, and it didn't turn out that way. I was not blasting shots. The altitude was not as forgiving as I thought it was going to be.
Speaker 4: Yes, Dylan, Yeah, I mean, imagine the damage we could do if we got to play this course one more.
Speaker 3: Time we have Yeah, yes, all right.
Speaker 2: The head coach of the Seahawks, Mike McDonald, will join us next we're back after this Dan Patrick's Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: Hey, this is Jason McIntyre. Join me every weekday morning on my podcast, Straight Fire with Jason McIntyre. This isn't your typical sports pod pushing the same tired narratives down your.
Speaker 4: Throat every day.
Speaker 8: Straight Fire gives you honest opinions on all the biggest sports headlines, accurate stats to help you win big at the sports book.
Speaker 1: And all the best guests.
Speaker 8: Do yourself a favor and listen to Straight Fire with Jason McIntyre on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 9: Immediately after the game, they would ask for the ring. You're like a man, there's a process here, you know, it takes a while. It's gonna be in June, but it's awesome. It's in high right now in the safe spot. We won't say where it is. But I didn't bring it with me and my family was a little disappointed me for not bringing it.
Speaker 3: But do you have any input on the sign of it? You don't want my input on the design.
Speaker 9: I mean you started asking me for design tips that were going in the wrong direction. But we had a great process, you know, led by our president Chuck Arnold, and Jody was a great part of it. And the players had a lot saying that, you know, we're going to those guys, and I'm really I'm really happy that it's pretty It's pretty awesome, right.
Speaker 2: And see what I think they I brought through this auple years ago. You could have that big ring, but you don't want to wear the big ring. How about a ring inside the ring so then you could bear it out. You need to talk to John Schneier because he was pushing for that idea. That was going to be part of the thing where you take it off and there's another ring inside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you would wear it that ole.
Speaker 9: Wacky but that was that was actually going to happen. It got down to like the under the one yard line, no pun intended, but we couldn't.
Speaker 3: Uh, we didn't pull it off.
Speaker 2: How often have you looked at the Super Bowl tak and you're not gonna believe this.
Speaker 9: I've watched it once on tape during the draft process, and we still haven't watched the TV copy.
Speaker 3: So I don't know why. I don't know what's wrong with me or whatever, but we just we we haven't. So it's are you worried? There's a different end?
Speaker 9: There is like a I don't know, there's like a just no no pull to do it yet.
Speaker 3: I think we'll do it before camp starts.
Speaker 9: But I actually I'm interested to watch the commercials and I know that's kind of a weird thing, but it's like to watch how the flow of the game with commercials and that'll be cool.
Speaker 2: So but what would you glean from watching the Super Bowl? Like what would you.
Speaker 3: Take away like the TV copy? Yeah, that could help you. Well, it's going to be.
Speaker 9: Tricky because we start with the Patriots, you know, so I'm like a I'm a psycho edata guy where I need numbers and tendencies and uh, you know, I need you know, like what's the what's the data telling me all the time? So now there's no data, so it's you know, what's going to be their counter to what we did? You know, how do we kind of take the next you know, you know, evolution of what we did and like where we at scheme wise?
Speaker 3: So it's tricky.
Speaker 9: Those first games of the year are tricky when it comes to tendencies.
Speaker 3: And how you call games, how you build game plans.
Speaker 2: When did you lean on analytics? When when did you go all in and say this, Well it just.
Speaker 9: It always seemed that it was just just made sense. It's like, why wouldn't we use the best information out there? You know, you don't have to do it, but why would you be scared about things that are gonna possibly help you, So why wouldn't you just lean into it?
Speaker 2: But if they have the analytics on you, like, don't don't you cancel each other out if you both have the same Sometimes I.
Speaker 9: Turn into Vince Vaughan and wedding crashers, like am I interested?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: I'm not interested?
Speaker 9: Maybe I'm interested, she's interested, you know. So that's that's what's going on in my mind. Probably twenty four to seven. It's not a good place to be. But I think I think, like you're just starting with data and then to me, it's like, well, what's the best decision for the team?
Speaker 3: Is that? It is that where the gut goes? You know? Am I going off my gut? Here is it? How's the game going? You know this?
Speaker 9: But like people that fight it, I just don't understand, like, just relaxed, Why are you fighting now?
Speaker 2: You don't have to do what the numbers said? But but how much is gut? How much was the Super Bowl gut doing.
Speaker 3: Something or based on analytics? I don't I don't think.
Speaker 9: I don't think analytics drives our decisions. I think I think they support our decisions, and really it's a starting point on a lot of things. But you have to go off the tape, and you have to understand like how teams operate, and you have to have a great feel for your team. You know, when you're building game plans, it's not necessarily just doing it against the team you're playing. You're also trying to put your guys in position to do stuff that they can do well and so and then endgame, you know, like we're just side on fourth down, and you have a game plan going to the game on how we want to handle all those situations, and then you know you.
Speaker 3: Have to be able to adjust.
Speaker 2: He's a Mike McDonald, head coach of the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks. How often do people think you're Michael McDonald?
Speaker 3: This singer?
Speaker 9: Every substitute teacher I ever had, without an exception, they would get to my name on the roll, call Michael McDonald's, and I'd raise my hand. I love your music, all right, Yeah, okay, I've heard that it's.
Speaker 3: Like worse than old McDonald had a farm.
Speaker 6: Oh you get that.
Speaker 3: One too well, That that that got all pretty quickly.
Speaker 9: But the the Michael McDonald's singer thing, just every it was every substitute teacher wasn't for you know, my entire you know, school career.
Speaker 3: But it's all good.
Speaker 2: Who did you seek advice from going into the Super Bowl that might surprise me?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 9: I want I was surprise. I called John Harbin, I talked, he was great. Probably can't mention one guy that really that really helped us out that had some conflict of insurance.
Speaker 3: Can we guess?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'm gonna tell you, but go ahead, Bill Belichick. I'm not that cool. Oh yeah, no, he wouldn't. You wouldn't have a fan.
Speaker 9: I've had a beer with coach Belichick and that was that was a pretty cool.
Speaker 2: That was a pretty cool dame. Who else would we guess? Kyle Shanahan, No, Kyle.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 9: But a lot of it was like, hey, there's a lot of I think one of the biggest themes of last year that we changed from year one to year two is like, we need to stick to who we are outside the circumstance, but the Super Bowl is different. So you do have to like concede that the process is different throughout like the media and you know there's things like halftime, pregame and stuff like that. But that's the way we framed it to our team and frankly for me, for a guy that hasn't been to the super Bowl, it's simplified it.
Speaker 3: You know. It simplified things.
Speaker 9: It took pressure off you of that you had to do everything right, you know, and you got to be perfect all week. It's like, no, just relax, take a deep breath. Let's go be us. You know, different setting, but let's just go be us and you know, not worry about all the extra stuff.
Speaker 3: Would you talk to Belichick about when you had your beer?
Speaker 9: It was he he was son was coaching at Washington. So we did the coaches clinic and I got the history of the NFL through Bill Belichick's eyes, and that.
Speaker 3: Was really cool. That was awesome. I was just sitting there, like, you know, tell me more. Don't want the beer to end.
Speaker 9: It was a couple of beers, more than one.
Speaker 2: It was more than one, But you feel like you're a super Bowl winning coat. And I don't like, I don't know when reality sets in for something as big as it is and how you're now viewed.
Speaker 3: I'm not used to it.
Speaker 9: It's it doesn't honestly in all I mean, I'm not just like, it doesn't feel like it, I just because I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like I've changed, but people will change around you, because.
Speaker 3: I think you've gotta be aware of that.
Speaker 9: But it's it's cool to meet like people out here and you're like that that they know who we are and they know our team, and you know that we affected them in like some way, which is really cool. So that that's probably like the that's a really cool like byproduct of it. But I don't feel any different. You know, I still have a year and a half old son that he doesn't know anything. I gotta make sure his diaper's changed and he's fed and he's not pissed off. He was on we were on I forget the whole was, but he came out, ran through the ropes, grabbed my driver as we were walking down the fairway, and then I.
Speaker 3: Needed it back, so I was I didn't.
Speaker 9: Want to be the guy to grab it from him, and so I think I think Steph.
Speaker 3: My wife ended up taking it from and he, like you could.
Speaker 9: Hear this his cry like two holes away, just losing his mind. I was felt bad for a second, but uh, now that's great. It's really cool to see him.
Speaker 3: Could you change the diaper before the plate clock expires. I've gotten pretty good, really good.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, it's but it's also depending on his his like his attitude.
Speaker 2: So you need to bring out the baby and the diapers. Here we're gonna have coaching.
Speaker 9: Is it like is it a full like did we did blow blowout?
Speaker 3: Or is it like is it a solid? Is it a solid? You know how different types, you know, they gotta evaluate it.
Speaker 2: But having that escape, how important is it when he doesn't know anything? Yeah, and you could go home. You don't have to answer any questions.
Speaker 9: Well, I get to spend more than thirty minutes now, you know with him that was that was a story last year.
Speaker 3: But are you a grinder that you're going to be there all day all night? No, I can't. I I am quality of life man.
Speaker 9: I just like I can't I tell the team like if I'm making decisions after nine pm, like, we'ren't trouble you know. So and we get a workout in in the morning with our crew, and then and then we put in a great day's work and then we go home.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: Now, like there's a process you have to abide by that we have to do. But to spend all the time like with our family, like to this off season. Now Jack SI's a year and a half, so you know, he's got a personality and attitude and you know he's got some interest and we're trying to teach me how to talk, and it's just it's so much fun right now.
Speaker 2: It's just it's really awesome. Congratulations, thanks for stopping by. And I'll go back to quality of life. After talking to Dick for meal many times about he sleep at the office, and Tony Dungee said that Chuck Noles said, go home to your families.
Speaker 3: That was important and it is important.
Speaker 2: So quality of life, man, and being there when with your kids. There's no substitute. I did second shift at ESPN for fifteen years when my kids were all born, and you miss out on so much. Don't miss out on those little things. You can never get him back.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that you're an ask gone by. Really yes, yes, we've got another on the way. So do you know what you're having? A baby?
Speaker 6: Girl?
Speaker 2: Kind of December Samantha after Sam Darnold, Well do you have a name, but we'll tell, Yeah, that's yeah, don't tell, never ever tell. Thank you coach. All thanks stopping mine. Thanks guys, it's Mike McDonald, Seahawks head coach. I really enjoyed talking to him. And I didn't know he was a fan of the show until he said, Hey, whenever you want me, you know, how about it during a bye week and I'm like, okay, And he had a sense of humor. Uh, you know, he comes in jacked, like you know, these young guys, I mean, they're aware of how they look on the sidelines here.
Speaker 3: It's like referees. They want to be wearing tight fitting.
Speaker 2: But the quality of life is really important because and he said a quote that I will remember for a long time. If I'm making decisions after nine o'clock because I'm at the office, those aren't good decisions.
Speaker 3: There's only some much you can do.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, you know, it's what a paralysis by analysis there, And I think that's the important part with these coaches. Dick Vermeil would sleep at the office. I don't know if it made him any better. John Gruden would get in so early in the morning and I remember he said, Hey, I'm going to be here at you know, seven and six in the morning.
Speaker 3: Call me and he'd be there at his desk.
Speaker 2: Quality of life is so important because you have to have that balance. And if Chuck Knowle, the Great Steeler coach, is telling his coaches go home, be with your family, you have to have balance in your life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, I like the part where you guys were talking analytics, because he's described as an analytics guy. But he said, we use it. We use it a lot. Well, we don't face every decision off it. We sometimes use our gut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that that's where you lean on it because it reinforces what you already believe in instead of I got to open up a notebook and go, okay, what are we doing here? Okay it says this in the moment. That's not how it works. You know, analytics doesn't really know what's the feeling here. How does somebody get banged up, you know, the weather condition like all of those things. That's where it comes back to what is your gut feeling and trust your gut feeling. And I think sometimes we have lost that in sports.
Speaker 7: Yes, Tom, I thought that was very refreshing to hear that they're not handcuffed by this analytics.
Speaker 3: That these coaches actually can be coaches.
Speaker 7: And just because this says what you have to do on every play in every situation, I'm not going to do that every time.
Speaker 3: Yes, Dylan. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I compare the analytics into like cooking with a recipe, where it's like it's you have your basically your guideline there, but you can kind of jazz it up and insert your own flavor into it as you see fit.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of which, uh, if you're watching on Peacock, we're going out to the Rectech grills, it's meat Friday.
Speaker 3: Good job, Dylan. I like that transition, the unintentional segue. Who said it was on the I did I.
Speaker 2: Did our meat Thursday will unveil that right after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: I don't know what those oreos are, but those oreos are I don't I don't know how they work, but they work.
Speaker 3: So what are they? Are? They wrapped in bacon? Dylan?
Speaker 4: Yes, so it's an oreo wrapped in bacon. I think, dusted with rub and with Saracha in the inside.
Speaker 3: It works.
Speaker 2: It does, I don't know how like the other stuff, the lobster that he has, I mean the other stuff. I understand that I looked at that Oreo Fritzy was like staring.
Speaker 3: At the.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I said, go ahead, take one. Yeah, Paul Dan you may have missed us.
Speaker 5: We were behind you. But Dylan and I, when we saw the crab stuff lobster tails, we hugged each other said we've made it.
Speaker 3: I don't hug many people, all right.
Speaker 2: So I mentioned that Austin Reeves tomorrow, Steve Young tomorrow. We hope to have the WNBA commissioner, Kathy Engelbert on as well. And I saw Nate Bargatzi, the great comedian. I was on the putting green over here, goofing around, and he jumped off his cart, ran over, gave me a big hug, and he might join us later on. There are just so many moving parts here, so we're trying to h well, just tune in.
Speaker 3: You know that we'll have one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Marvin, you know, coming here, you just see that people might not be on the show because of time restraints or whatever, but they still want to see you personally. Almost like Jason Kelsey Steph Curry last year. That's the first time when I saw him up close, I was liked, Oh, he's tall, like six three and he was sitting down and we're walking by. You know, he's dapping everybody up and he sees you and he stands up. So it might not. You know, I don't want to. You know, I can't join the show. I don't want to, but I want to see you personally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look, Steph Curry and Jason kelsere probably the two biggest ticket items here. I mean, the Jason kels stuff is remarkable because a couple of years ago he's just a future Hall of Fame center and then all right, his brother is a future Hall of Fame tight end. Then all of a sudden his brother is dating Taylor Swift. And then all of a sudden, Jason Kelsey is in People magazine is one of the sexiest men, and then his brother marys Taylor Swift. Now you cross over. Now you're in another world that you're so unfamiliar with. And I think, and Kevin Fraser mentioned this, Kevin the host of Entertainment tonight, like on you once you go over there, when mom's grandma's daughters.
Speaker 3: Then it's different.
Speaker 2: There are more little girls screaming at Jason Kelsey than anybody else, a whole different fan base here, guests Dylan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Jason Kelsey's wife has become incredibly famous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like it's there's like layers to.
Speaker 2: It, and they are everybody is on lockdown. Anybody who went to that wedding, like you can almost I don't want to say here in their eyes.
Speaker 3: But they're like, I can't really talk about it. Even Jason. I said, you know how to go.
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said, okay, did you cry? He goes, Yeah, I cried.
Speaker 2: I cried my brother's wedding, and I don't think I cried a mine. And then I thought, okay, I don't want to ask you any more questions. I don't want to make you uncomfortable here. And that's what it felt like I was doing. Yeah, Pauling, And we have.
Speaker 5: An interesting history with Steph Curry as well. I just looked it up. If you'll remember this, Dan, we had him on August of twenty fourteen and you asked him who's the best offensive player in basketball? He said me, And it cost quite a stir because he avere twenty three this season before and people like Steph Curry's full of himself. Steph Curry's saying he's better than Lebron at offense. He won the next top two MVPs after that interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he had the confidence in himself to say, yes, I'm a better offensive player than Lebron, and looking back, he was right. Even though Lebron's the greatest scorer of all time, Steph Curry at the time was like, yeah, I'm I'm you know, I'm certainly a better shooter than him. You know, Lebron's always been a great scorer. It's not a great shooter. There's a difference. Like Russell Westbrook could score, he couldn't shoot. There's just certain guys that, you know, Alan Iverson I didn't think had a great shot as much as Allan Iverson could score on anybody. Ray Allen could shoot better than almost anybody, but he wasn't getting the same you know, kind of thirty points a game. Reggie Miller. You know, there's a lot of guys who can shoot, and I don't know that that's kind of an interesting question. I don't know who I'd ask it to would you rather be a great scorer or a great shooter?
Speaker 7: Yes, Marvin, But if you're Ray Allen and Reggie Miller, they both had the ability to score forty and fifty points, so they might be in a different category than say somebody like a Steve Kurr that was just specifically there to just shoot open jumpers.
Speaker 4: Dylan, Well, does being a scorer in this scenario mean like you're taking it to the hoop? And yeah, so I mean, I guess three pointer? Are you get more longevity you're a good shooter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just dawned on me that I always wanted to be a shooter. But when you think about being a scorer, that means, you know, Lebron it doesn't look pretty. You know, the jump shots not pretty. Bronni is a better jumper than his dad. But Lebron can get to the hoop as well as anybody who's ever played the game.
Speaker 3: And even Michael Jordan, you.
Speaker 2: Know second that he co signed where he said, look if I played him one on one and he gets me on my hip going to the right, I can't stop him.
Speaker 3: And here's one of the great defenders of all time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Palling he does feel like a scorer means you have multiple shots things in your offensive Arsenal like Jalen Brunson, there's not one thing to defend him on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would. Yeah, he's kind of both.
Speaker 2: He's a little bit of a hybrid that he can shoot, but I would look at him as a scorer.
Speaker 7: Yes, Mark, I think the one seed to Jalen Brunts's point is Kevin Durant, great shooter and great score.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a great point. James Harden has a great shot, yes, and he's a score as well. Toilet papers a foul brown card issued dude wipes extra large, wet and built to close out the game properly. Send a free ten pack to a TP user you know at dudewipes dot com. Slash round card. Final results of the poll question there, Dylan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then more impressive.
Speaker 4: David Wells drunk perfect game were Doc Ellis's LSD no hitter? Sixty seven percent say David Wells? And do you prefer surf or turf? Seventy turf?
Speaker 2: David Wells is here. That's why we brought up yes poll question. Brian and Indy, let me try you again there, Brian.
Speaker 10: Hey Dan, Hey you guys talking earlier. Hey Dan, you guys were talking earlier about some, you know, awkward celebrity interactions. I have a best and worst happening to the athlete interact. And first was I was probably about twenty five years old to go into a Jiffy Lub to get my oil changed. And the only other person in that tiny waiting room was Dallas Clark. So it's just me and him, and I'm racking my brain thinking about what to say and if I say.
Speaker 3: Anything at all.
Speaker 10: My brilliant line was, so you get like free oil changes and stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes you have that awkward question. You can't help it. Thank you, Brian, short on time here