Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Past podcast. It is Wednesday, September eleventh. The Ravens are preparing for Sunday's home opener against the Las Vegas Raiders. After practice today we had a chance to hear from head coach and John Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: Okay, appreciate everybody being here. Good practice, good tough day, trying to get better every day.
Speaker 3: It's what we're working.
Speaker 2: On the On the anniversary of nine to eleven, twenty third anniversary I believe of nine and eleven, I just want to thank all the first responders, all the military, the families who are involved with nine to eleven who lost loved ones that day and since, which is many, many, many, many thousands of people. I want to let them know we're thinking about them and we haven't forgotten them. When I was growing up, when I was in my early twenties, I really didn't remember sassion of John F.
Speaker 3: Kennedy.
Speaker 2: My mom and dad were big, big Jack and Jackie Kennedy fans that we grew up thinking that the Kennedy's were everything. You know, they were it, and they would talk about where they were that day when Jack Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, visited the Book Depository and saw how close it was, saw the whole thing, you know on the tour when you do the tour at the National Museum there, and learned about it because I'd heard about it, and I realized a lot of our guys in the early twenties are the same.
Speaker 3: They weren't they weren't they were kids, or.
Speaker 2: They weren't born some of them, and for them, it's kind of the same kind of a memory. So to keep that memory alive is so important. It means so much to our country, to our history. And I mean, I was we were game planning, getting ready for the Giants on a Tuesday morning, and Carol Cullen, who worked with our staff, came in to turn on the TV. Turned the TV and I see smoke coming out of a building. It looks like maybe a little plane hit the building. Maybe it was just a little some kind of plane hit a building. There, watching and watching, I'm watching it. Twenty minutes later, all of a sudden, slow motion, it seemed like this huge plane flies into the second tower, and I mean, you're just like, what did what did? What did I just see? And then from there on, you know, it was. It was chaos. Sean Lendetta was down there. He was our punter. He was down there that day. Uh in Manhattan.
Speaker 3: It was a player's day off.
Speaker 2: He talks about running from the tower area, running, buying himself a bike and pedaling away so he could get get off Manhattan as fast as he could. It's just one of those days that's kind of seared in a memory.
Speaker 3: So try to remember that.
Speaker 2: And for all those involved, and for all the first responders now who, and all the military people now who, and the police and the firemen and the medical who do so much force, just please just thank them when you see them, Just thank them for what they do. Great sacrifices are made and they risk their lives every single day.
Speaker 3: Okay with that, what question do you have, John?
Speaker 4: I know you did an extra a few days, being that Thursday, even in the season. Is that beneficial having therese a couple of extra days going into two week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's can be and maybe in other ways you get you can imagine where it couldn't be. So it just kind of speculation. It just depends on how we handle it and how we come out and play. That'll be indicative of whether it was good for us or not.
Speaker 4: What do you expect from the Raiders and the preparation being to face them on the BOK to video.
Speaker 2: We expect a very good football team. It's a very physical football team, hard playing team, tough team, lots of speed, you know, a dominant, dominant defensive front four front seven, aggressive, fast secondary who you break on the ball and tackle very well. Just a really good defense. And then offensively, a big, physical offensive line, talented receiving core, an elite receiving core across the board, tight ends, wide receivers. Of course, you know who their guys are and they're great players. And then we've played We played Gardner Mitchew before and he's beaten us before, so we have all the respect in the world for him as a quarterback.
Speaker 3: We know how talented and good he is.
Speaker 2: So we're looking forward to the challenge and it will be quite a challenge.
Speaker 5: Obviously, Lamar is back practice then ready to go.
Speaker 3: Devin said, you know, one.
Speaker 6: Hundred yards and the Browns put some shoulders into some people.
Speaker 5: Are you comfortable with that level of fascality for more and running them all acros the season?
Speaker 2: I'm comfortable with physical football team across the board, whatever it takes, and given situations to try to find a way to make a play and win the game. Every single one of our guys competing at the highest level UH to UH to do whatever they can to to play their best football, put our best foot forward, and try to try to win a play, win a series, win a game.
Speaker 3: That's what that's what we're all here for.
Speaker 7: There is there a fine line though, between.
Speaker 2: That and also the more we don't live in that world of fine lines. I mean, we live in the world of competing, going out there and doing the best you can. You know, there's no lines being drawn. The only lines that we have the lines on the field, you know, the sidelines, the goal line, the back end line. Okay, that was a big one. That was a big line. It was really important in this game. Those other fine lines you're talking about, I'm not even aware of those. I don't know what those are.
Speaker 6: You aware?
Speaker 8: A coach of Kyle Bennoid, it was big are critical of what happened in Kansas City with a lack of medical attention that he received, But did you hear from him about that? Because he voiced his displeasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he hasn't talked to me about that kind of stuff. That's not something I've talked to I didn't hear the quote comments at all.
Speaker 3: They were sent to me.
Speaker 2: I read him, and that's about as far as I can get out. And I don't know what happened or didn't happen. Have respect for everybody involved, Have respect for the medical people everywhere in the league. Of course our place, Kansas City, every place in the league. Have respect for all of them. Have respect autmost respectful the players, certainly Kyle Van No. I mean, you know, he's he's my guy. You know, I love him, And this is one of these guys that competes and fights and does everything he can to be the best player he can. So you know that's something that that's just you know, that's That's not what I'm gonna be involved with.
Speaker 9: John.
Speaker 10: How much can you take away sad faced gardener last year? But it was with a different team, different systems, So what's the value? And there is there a lot of value in studying what he did last year, orses you guys or is it not all that relevant? No?
Speaker 2: I think it's valuant, sure, because they'd probably watch that tape, and you know there's some things they can take from it and use in this game.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they'll they'll think about doing that.
Speaker 7: Big game a get you guys.
Speaker 3: Last time you played twenty twenty one?
Speaker 7: Sure of the game rerecord?
Speaker 11: How do you how do you account for himpt defense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a game rerecord, no doubt about it. One of the one of the best players in football, A very unpredictable player because of his high level of energy. I mean, he brings it every single play, plays almost every snap. He's upfield, he's underneath, he's India's he's back around the backside, he's he's a spinning you know, he's he's knocking your hands off. Uh, he's he's running to the ball. He's just a he's just a game record to you. To use that word, I think is exactly the right word. So we're gonna have to do everything we can. But you know, you can't. You can't, you know, can't put eleven guys on one guy. You know you've got to handle all eleven of their guys as well. So we're gonna have to do a great job with their whole defense. And and definitely he's the guy you put the dot on and understand he's he's the top guy that you need to look out for.
Speaker 6: John who thinks a champ ass year. How do you think Trenton Simpson did in his first start? And now what kind of go through you're looking from in week one to week two?
Speaker 2: Thought Trenton played well, flew around, played good football, did a lot of things right, for sure, And I think he's gonna build on that. You know, for sure, he'll build on that and keep growing as a player out here in practice today he did some good things, but he did a couple of things that work great, you know, and we're coaching off those things too, just like every player, you know, So we just try to build everybody up as much as they can. Trenton would be the same. Young guys should make progress, for sure, and that's what we're hoping for.
Speaker 7: Johnson's the twenty twenty two season of Justin Tucker's ten twenty fifty plus. Among those ten misses, four of them field goal blocks. Is there any concern with the special teams unit with distance kicking in particular about that?
Speaker 2: No, I just want to make the next kick. That's what we trying to do make the next kick, protect the next kick, get a good snap, get a good hold, get a good kick. They're definitely it's definitely one at a time type of a process.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: You can't you can't say anything. You can't be living in the past. You can't be living in the future. I mean, he can't even be living in whether the kick's gonna go through the upright so or not. If you're the kicker, if you ask justin he'll tell you it's a process thing. You know, it's a processing You try to do everything right that play and uh and and make a good kick, you know, and if you make a good kick, you have the best opportunity to make the kick through the uprights. And that's what all of our eleven guys out there on that play try to do.
Speaker 4: John, is that a new T shirt with the assaultant light? It is?
Speaker 10: It?
Speaker 4: Is? Any explanation one?
Speaker 3: Well, I think this probably tells an one.
Speaker 11: Has nothing to do with your hair.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. That's a good one.
Speaker 11: I like that, John, Isa, get back out here today. Just how much does that helping? Where's he atter?
Speaker 3: Progress is? Obviously?
Speaker 2: Well, it'll help a lot when we get him back out there. I think it's making good progress. Seems like he's uh. Getting getting him out there to practice today was big And we'll see how I respond tomorrow and hopefully we can build him in here as we go.
Speaker 1: We also heard from quarterback Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 4: Lamar, as you know, we can tell I did you developed you how you can improve and how you've been improved as a passer. Uh but on a day where you're you know, running sixteen times for a hundred point two yards, do you feel that you've even made improvements as a runner as well?
Speaker 3: And?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 12: I remember camp, you guys aksing me like what do I wanna improve on? I'll tell you everything. So it's in every time I'm out the NFL on that field, tryna improve with everything I do.
Speaker 3: So I guess so, uh were you just?
Speaker 13: Were you just?
Speaker 11: I'm about to just a little bang up and sword from when guy came.
Speaker 3: In there in a game. Nah, I was good.
Speaker 1: I was good.
Speaker 3: You know, I just took a day off.
Speaker 2: So you mar what motivats are the most to finally play at home opener at the fens?
Speaker 3: Uh you sits at home time?
Speaker 14: Dave h oh multi what what motivator are the most to play at home opener.
Speaker 12: Uh, just been in front of our crowd, you know, in in front of our environment, uh, knowing the fans get to experience us, you know in that in that stadium.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 12: And I believe we got some little diition going on at the stadium. So that' that'll be dope for the for the cur for the fans.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 12: But I'm looking forward to it, man, and I believe everyone wanna see us, especially at home.
Speaker 5: Sorry of that first drive against Kansas City of Derrick Henry which was type of the first touchdowns and great building. How's that relationship.
Speaker 7: Between you get your relevance and what what do you see?
Speaker 5: Kind of fort coloreds to season?
Speaker 3: Paid allays. Uh, I believe our relationship is going very well.
Speaker 12: It's it's one of the first game of the season, and uh, I believe it'll get even better, you know as the games go on and as we keep playing on the season.
Speaker 10: Sure, Mari's running the ball sixteen times, like if you have to do it every week?
Speaker 3: Would that is that sustainable?
Speaker 13: Do you think?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I'm not trying to find out, but uh, you know, we got Derreck Henry got just to see those guys. But you know, I'm I'm gonna do whatever it taste to win. And in that type of game, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 2: More John along those lines, John's just talk about it be competitive on every player. There was a player near the boundary and rather than go out of bounds, they play the lower shot barreled duty.
Speaker 3: We could through your head in that moment.
Speaker 12: Nah, I'm I'm playing football. I'm just playing football. Nothing really going through my head at that time. You know, it was I didn't wanna get hit. You know, I'm going on the side line. I think I got hit like that before going on the sideline and about to step out, somebody hit me.
Speaker 3: So it was like, I'd rather hit you before you hit me. So that's all. That was why you've been lauded.
Speaker 7: Brofore you're from being able to evade the big hits. Yeah, if you run a lot, but you can tend to afford the defensive. But you were initiating not only on that play, but more contact than contact than maybe maybe usually.
Speaker 6: Was this just a competitive spirit thing?
Speaker 5: Was this a specific thing.
Speaker 4: Or what was going on?
Speaker 12: H the competitive spirit and sometimes you know, when I be on the ground, I already be following. Those guys still be hitting me, and I don't get those calls.
Speaker 3: I don't know why. But we gonna look into that, you know, gonna look into that.
Speaker 4: The more we thought the all off season and fout you losing weight and your every you know all the time. How how did it feel out there in your first game?
Speaker 12: I felt great, Jamison. Uh, I'm not gonna lie to you. I I believe someone was like, I don't like his weight. You know, he lost weight, and I don't know how he'll look out there, and you know those guys are huge, and I'm like, at the end of the day, I'm a grown man too, just like those guys. So I feel pretty good. Came out the game pretty good. We gonna keep it going. R.
Speaker 11: I'mr with Isaiah. You know he's got me spend here a few years. You guys had a connection. You remember kind of the first time that he sort of wowed you. I guess, I mean, obviously a great game once Kana City. U you remember the maybe the Firs the first time, sort of?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 10: Was it?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 12: I think I always say this, like the Buccaneers game I think Mark was down and that was his first game, and he he showed off.
Speaker 3: Uh, I mean he showed out.
Speaker 12: He he did what he was you know what he's his job is to do, you know, step down and the first guy's down, he stepped up, you know. And that's pretty much what he was doing. Because they was double the Mark all game, Like every time we played him. They got like a thing for eighty nine, Like they don't want eighty nine to do anything. But eighty nine is doing his part, you know, cause he getting other guys over and that's the biggest thing, you know.
Speaker 3: Uh, and likely took advantage of it.
Speaker 10: A Raiders a couple of years ago. Max Crosby had a big game against it. What do you remember when he sticks in your mind about facing him?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 3: How older? How molder? That guy. He's a great he's a great edge rusher. Man. My hat's off to uh, my hat's off to him. He was how older he was just going at an all game.
Speaker 12: I was like this man here, I was laughing, you know, Max, he was he was like trying to get after me and I was like talking Tras back and he was like.
Speaker 3: But I love your game, Lamar. Like stuff like that. But he's a great edge rusher.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 3: He was definitely a great EDS rusher. Yeah yeah, man, Yeah yeah yeah. He said that during the game, and I was like, I was like laughing a little bit. Yeah, Lamar.
Speaker 5: I know, uh, weights fluctuate during the season, But do you have a kind of target playing weight for yourself or over these next.
Speaker 14: Couple of months.
Speaker 12: I mean, I'm good right now. I don't have a target weight. He's gonna keep playing and doing what I'm doing. I'm not worried about the weight. The weight is not read about itself. You know, we're just going cool.
Speaker 3: Can you find sharing what you are right? Don't? I don't know to.
Speaker 12: Something fast enough, fast enough I can get away.
Speaker 1: We also heard from All Pro safety Kyle Hamilton.
Speaker 5: Obviously the Chiefs as much as anyone or a lot of matchup issues, especially Travis Plse. How on the hole do you feel like the secondary handled just kind of the bullets that that the Chiefs had to throw at you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think we did well for the most part. I think we made him think I threw some different looks at him. I think we played aggressive. You know, obviously we didn't play our best football and especially me personally. I don't think I played well at all. And you know it's a week the week league and excited to go back out this weekend and make up for it. But there's a lot of good stuff on that film to learn from. And you know, like I just said, weekly week, and I think we're moving on to a tribute.
Speaker 5: I mean, anything to not play in the preseason, just that being your first game action in the months.
Speaker 8: No, not really, because I don't think that was the case last year against the Texans and none of us playing preseason last year. So you know, weeks like that happened and you try to minimize as much as they can and or as much as you can, and it's just part of the league. And you know, we don't we don't want it to be like that, but you know, guys on the other side are good, and we need to come every week prepared and I feel like we were prepared, just matter of executing, which I think we'll do better.
Speaker 3: Kyle.
Speaker 6: You guys do so much in terms of the pre snap and deception, you know, show Man dropping his own whatever in your experience as the last couple of years, and obviously you know some new coaches, a new defense coordinator, and there's always new players. How long does it take to really feel like you get that as synchronized as fluid as you'd like it to be.
Speaker 3: As a defense?
Speaker 6: You know, how long does that take into the season where and I know it's a week to weekly, when is that process?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you're working on that all year. Honestly, it's something that you can't really take your foot off the gas with because you get kind of undisciplined with it and then you're not really showing any looks and the quarterback knows what you're and so you kind of have to drill it every day. Coach Harball has done a great job of coming to the defense, especially the DB's and telling us to hold our looks or do a better job showing this disguise, and it really helps us a lot as a defense if we do that. So, you know, we're always getting better at it as we go through the league. But I don't think it's something that necessarily hit a threshold and you're like, Okay, we're good kind of walking through the.
Speaker 10: Worthy second touchdown, the passing touchdown, what was.
Speaker 8: Going on in the secondary or that, Yeah, that was on me one hundred percent. I was supposed to go back to the half. I played the wrong call. Wasn't on Zach Orr, wasn't on Marlin or anybody else.
Speaker 3: That was on me.
Speaker 8: If you watch the play, you could probably tell that we're missing a half safety and I got kind of mixed up and supposed to go back to the half and take your blame for that.
Speaker 3: Were you guys.
Speaker 16: Surprised at all the sort of shallow crossers.
Speaker 5: I mean, they seem very content to just try to drag people across the middle of the field eight ten yards out and live.
Speaker 8: With the ak or die YEA, yeah, No, it's it's something that they do a great job of putting the receivers and their skilled players and positions that they're successful with. And I think they did a great job with Rashid Rice putting him on, getting mismatches with him and gett him underneath. And it's something that we've harped on today and this past week while we have the time off, just talking about our leverage as underneath players and if they're going to beat us where they need to beat us at and not leting people cross our face and stuff like that, which I think, you know, week one, I don't know how many undefeated seasons there's been in the league in history, maybe the Dolphins at one time, but a really Super Bowl champion has had a loss. So I don't think the season is a disaster or whatever it may seem or may some people may be making it out to be. But it's something that we can definitely learn from, and I think it's good for something like that to happen earlier in the year so that we get better.
Speaker 10: Think of DeVante Adams, what comes to mind, trying to try to contain him.
Speaker 8: What comes to mind. He's He's definitely a top receiver of our generation, somebody that I grew up watching, you know, him and Aaron Rodgers always seemed like they were on the same page. And he's one of the best to do it at his position. And uh so I must expect to him and everything he's done, and it's gonna be a challenge for us going against him and everybody else that they have on their team. Got some talent tight ends. Played with Mike Mayer in college for a couple of years. He's a great guy and great player. And Gardner Minshew's great quarterback. He beat us last year at home, so good running back, good runs game, great receivers as well, and uh, it's it's kind of funny with this league. There's never a quote unquote week off, like you play rating Super Bowl champs and you got a great team like the Raiders coming in. So it's a challenge, but I think we're gonna be prepared for it.
Speaker 1: He made a point that you know, it's good to have, I guess struggles earlier in the year. You can sort it out and it's just one game all that. How a year are you guys just getting back on the field and got a long wait not playing.
Speaker 3: With day night?
Speaker 1: How are you you have to get back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 8: I was actually talking about it earlier, but I think it was Friday night or early Friday morning after the game we got back, probably got in my bed at like five am. I couldn't sleep. I was like, I didn't feel like I played well, and I'm like, I cannot wait to get back out there on Sunday and literally dreamed about the Raiders game, like going out there and making plays stuff like that, and it makes you that much more hungry. And I feel like a lot of guys are in that same thought process with it, and you know, I think that's what makes us great. We're all competitive and want to do well, and you know, we're just bread that way.
Speaker 5: What was it like to see Lamar run wild against a defense that was not your own?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's fun. Obviously, it's fun for us. We don't have to go against it. Thank god, we never have to play against him, hopefully, But yeah, he does such a great job of knowing when to do what and he showed that last week. I mean, if you're not going to account for him or not going to cage rush and keep him in the pocket, then he's going to run for However, when you are around like Andrew some yards and you know that hidden yardage get keeps the ball going, keeps getting first downs, and then you've guys like Isaiah Likely out there making big plays and Justice Hill all these people that are making big plays for us. In addition to Lamar doing what Lamar does and that side of the ball, it just has so many threats and weapons. And I think the O line played great as a whole. And that's a unit that is gelling and they've been through a lot and I'm only going to get better. So I'm just excited to see what Lamar in the offense does.
Speaker 1: Next up is Pro Bowl tackle Namdi Metabeke. He recently decided to go by his Nigerian name of Nomdi. Previously he went by Justin, and he talked about that today.
Speaker 14: How you doing.
Speaker 10: Decision to go through your African heritage.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so you know it's funny, like if I call my dad right now and my mom right now, they're like to have a you house practice going. I'm going good. You know, the team's looking good. So that was the name I grew up with since I've been a little kid. And uh, you know, in our heritage, uh, they give us almost like an American name and uh Nigerian name and we are in our first name like Justin is in my birth certificate. But my middle name, Namdie is what I was raised and called. So you know, I just and people here call me beats since have a nickname. So I just changed it to Namdi because I just felt in my heart that was just the right thing to do. It's been on mine for a while now. If they did it when he first got here, and uh, I guess you could say I drew some inspiration for my boy. But uh, yeah, that's really how it came about.
Speaker 7: In the locker room.
Speaker 3: For the guys, it's been good.
Speaker 4: It's been good.
Speaker 3: Everybody was like, oh, no, they like that.
Speaker 14: You know, everybody saying they like it. Uh a lot of uh good uh buzz on the on on social media and stuff like that, and I've heard. But yeah, for me, just in my family's just the same old you know, it ain't nothing changed. It's just for everybody else that didn't know.
Speaker 5: So no changes on any documents or anything like that.
Speaker 3: No, no, not that I know. I've no, I know namdis and on New Jersey.
Speaker 11: But did it hit different for your parents or your family?
Speaker 5: You're being introduced on uh TV in your first game and.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but my dad was pretty excited cause that's uh uh that's really all he calls me. He never called me justin so you know, he's like, yeah, you know, show the world you know who you really are and all that stuff. And you know I've been doing that. But you know, I guess the name I guess you know speaks for herself. But yeah, that's how it came about.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think last year there was a single snap with you at at O Way and Jones were.
Speaker 4: All and and a Jaba, we're all in the field together.
Speaker 3: We got to see some of that package the other night.
Speaker 14: What is it like you for guys on the field again, It's great, it's great.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 14: Uh, just like we're in the fielder together in practice, I expect us to be in the field together in the game. And you know, when we're out there, you know we're destined to make some plays and and and make something to shake. And you know, that's what we practiced to do and that's what we're gonna do, just one day at a time and just believe in each other. Yeah, Java was talking about sort of Minshew and obviously sort of a game that got away last year with the Colts.
Speaker 5: What's put up the trick with with him? And when they're trying to keep hitting the back.
Speaker 14: Yield, you know, Cajum, you know, you know, we have to take advantage of the O line. You know they wanna run the ball. You know, we we gotta stop the running. That's what we're gonna do. And uh you know we're gonna uh stay locked in and uh, you know, definitely he got away from him his last year but you know this year, you know he's coming back home and uh, you know we're definitely gonna make a hard for him, for sure.
Speaker 17: You guys don't play, especially the starters here, most of the starters haven't played in a preseason the last couple of years. Going into that first game last week, did it feel like it took some time to get adjusted?
Speaker 14: You know, I I I wouldn't say so, you know, I guess obviously it's a different, uh game. It was the first game of the season on Thursday. It was a little different, maybe a little jitters here and there, but I think we got settled in as the game went on. You know, we we just fell short by a company and just literally so you know, not a good taste of them out, but you know we're here to go to practice and bounce back and get focused.
Speaker 13: I think it was just one game where like, did you notice any difference in how uh how chiefs were who were getting matching up a a game should get in the season we had last year half the dot viewers there all gaping to cobbing or you're blocking you the intact.
Speaker 1: They were giving you.
Speaker 14: Yeah, definitely, uh, just more slide my side, more double teams. Uh, holding more, but I'm not gonna complain. They're not gonna call it, especially in their house. So you know, just to control what I can control, focusing in our things that I can I can do and uh and getting it done.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: A couple of years ago, a lot of your teammates would talk about you as like the next breakout performer on the Ravens defense and specifically the line. This year, there's been a lot of talking about Travis Jones. What have you seen from him at not not just the first game, but training camp and also your expectations for him now going into.
Speaker 3: His third season.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Travis, he's focused. He's definitely the Travis last year and the Travis this year is a whole different Travis in a good way. And Uh, he's focused, he's locked in, he's he's asking me more questions they did last year. He's really trying to dial in and be the best that he can be and and I'd love to see it. You know, it's it's a long season's long journey, but you know he's progressing, so you know, all all good hopes were him for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Since January, it's been talk about the Chiefs scheduled release comes out before and it's the Chiefs. Sure, you just is there a sense in the locker room about the sense of just finally being able to maybe play a different opponent and focus on something else other than the same team for the last nine points?
Speaker 14: Nah, I think I think that was more on the outside. I think in the locker room was more just about a obviously, you know, the last team we played before the Chiefs was the Chiefs, so you know, we were watching a lot of uh, the replay of the at the the game uh last year, and just it was just all up in our heads. But the end of the day, it's just the next opponent, and after the next week we'd be the next opponent of the next opponent. It's a long season. So I think in the locker room that's what we were really focused on. But oh, outside of that, Chiefs game over and done with, focused on the Redis this week.
Speaker 13: And yeah, I believe always you know, you alls been kind of works out warrior and kind of is out here labor where you played it the.
Speaker 11: Same year as we did in the past years.
Speaker 14: I'm a little bit lighter, a little bit lighter probably, u mm. Five ten lighter. My body fluctuates. It's weird, but you know, I try to stay between two ninety two eighty five around that area. Last year is more two ninety five, three hundred maybe three h three, just a little bit lighter, but just trying to stay twitching state, stay quick, at jile all that stuff.
Speaker 3: So was that a decision?
Speaker 1: But you can't talk tell me to do that?
Speaker 6: Like something he wanted to do.
Speaker 14: Yeah, just a little bit lighter, Yeah, yeah, something I wanted to do consciously. And the off season, I watches what I ate, you know, drink a lot of water, stayed away from frive foods, just those little little things so I can shed a little weight and I feel better.
Speaker 6: I the I could be getting this wrong, but I think when Aaron Donald was retired, he was talking to the plain weight.
Speaker 3: That he was at.
Speaker 6: I think he was at like sixties two seventies season free.
Speaker 5: But is there anythought like how effective I could be well also retaining everything I need to?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I mean in our division, I mean I think I gotta stay. I gotta stay a good you know, two ninety two eighty You know, these guys are really bringing it. But that's the way that I feel I believe works for me, you know, and for him that would works. For Ammy's a little bit lighter. I think sometimes I heard he was playing like a two fifty five really, but that's just him. But for me, you know, I feel like the way that I'm at right right now is better for me. And I feel like in the future, if I need to cut and I feel like it's it's best for me, don't do that.
Speaker 3: But right now I'm good.
Speaker 14: A word, I'm out.
Speaker 1: In the locker room today. We also heard from linebacker Real Quantsmithal, what's what's the mindset going into this game and getting back on the field for the home opener.
Speaker 18: Yeah, looking forward to this game. No Oakland led by great coach and Pierce know the ocal a little bit from Chicago, and then the defense. I know those guys play well, So excited about the matchup.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 18: They prod themselves on physicality.
Speaker 4: And so do we.
Speaker 18: So it'll be a good one and it'll be the home opener, so great way to open up the season at home.
Speaker 1: You talked about communication after the game. How big of a focus is that in practice this week?
Speaker 18: Yeah, communication is a huge thing, Like I always preach communication breeds understanding. So h each and every play we communicate with each other and we're all on the same page.
Speaker 3: We're hard defense to beat.
Speaker 18: But when we lacking those areas, then that gives teams opportunities to take advantage of that. So we just have to look at ourselves in the mirror, each and every individual and know that we're going to keep our communication up to a t. So that's all it's gonna take, and if we do that, our ability will take care of itself.
Speaker 1: Kyle Hamilton talked about how everyone's being accountable on the defense. How important is that to have everybody taking accountability and looking at areas where they can improve individually.
Speaker 18: Yeah, absolutely, I think that's the main thing. It's always about looking yourself in the mirror first and foremost before you can never approach anyone else with something. And it's something that coach de Lyon told us came for more so jo d Like, you know, when you look yourself in the mirror after each and every day, if everyone practice or played like you, how would the game fare out? And I think if you ask yourself that type of question, then that should give you your answer.
Speaker 11: When you think of Gardner Minshew, what challenges as you bring?
Speaker 5: You gotts just saw Musty.
Speaker 18: Yeah, absolutely. I think he's a veteran, been in the league for a while. He's very crafty, So it's about the matchup. No, he can he's very elusive in the pocket, can make guys miss. But you know, we got to stick true to who we are as a defense and applot pressure and when you applot pressure can force some mistakes.
Speaker 17: What were your takeaways after the defense?
Speaker 16: Watch tape of the Chiefs game and as the result of that game kind of feed into the anger going into week two.
Speaker 18: Oh, you know, that was last week we lost, so we move on and that was definitely mistakes in that game. But we're not harping on last week. This is a long season and we know we do what we have to do. We'll see those guys again, so not worried about that anymore. And just knowing that this is going to be a huge AFC matchup this week with the Raiders, so we're very excited to welcome those guys in knowing it's going.
Speaker 3: To be a good one.
Speaker 1: And lastly, today we heard from Ravens right tackle Patrick McCarry. By the State of the offensive line and this matchup against a talented Raiders front.
Speaker 15: Is that a game that feels like a big just first test out of the gate with everything goes onto the hype and just that opponent of physicality and down the wire at the end of it feel more draining than any other.
Speaker 18: Week or no?
Speaker 3: No, I mean I don't know.
Speaker 9: I think there's a lot of hype from outside. But it's week one of the regular season in twenty twenty four seasons. So like I said, it's a frustrating loss. Again, there's a lot to learn from and grow from, and there's growth in the mistakes.
Speaker 3: And when we have mistakes from.
Speaker 9: Week one to week two, we grow from it. Week two to week three we grow from it, and I just get better by the year goes on.
Speaker 15: Is this more Study's fine? At sixteen carries one hundred and twenty yards for him, the style of running he was doing. Is that something that you hope to not really see from him long term the season?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I mean he's great at everything he does, so we're trying to win the game. I never want to see him get hit in any fashion, but he wants to win the game too. As you can tell so he's fantastic as you can.
Speaker 15: Ask about that, you know, the chemistry of the offensive line and kind of gaining that, you know, kind.
Speaker 4: Of gelling together.
Speaker 3: Is it a do you think like more of a you know, the more you.
Speaker 4: Guys played together, because you weren't all together in the preseason.
Speaker 11: The more you play together, it's just as simple as you guys are gonna gain that chemistry.
Speaker 9: Definitely, Definitely, I think we got to communicate better and just the non communication understanding of what we're expecting each other to do. That's part of playing next to each other for a long time, and it's a part of again going from week one to week two, two to three and growing from that.
Speaker 4: What's the challenge of Corosby.
Speaker 9: He's a great player, He's got a lot of different stuff.
Speaker 3: Just showing him down, that's a point.
Speaker 17: Pat the Slash team, you guys did some votating attackers did a little bit on it again Thursday night for.
Speaker 3: A lot of it because it doesn't sing like that's usually the.
Speaker 17: Nol you guys, Is that something you're still getting adjusted to.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we did a little bit last year. It's definitely not something that I think it's typical for an offensive lineman. That's what the coaches want when we make the work.
Speaker 3: Last one here, we saw you working with young players out there. Is it like the module of one week, your whole lines week, and you're trying to build it all up. I don't understand. I saw you working with some of the young line man.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and you will trying to tell them about you know their play, and so is it you're working with them. I mean, you guys have came for the same job, but you realize the best the whole vicun be.
Speaker 9: Stay Yeah, absolutely, I mean we're all competing for a job here, but I just want to have the best office alignment we could have. And if that's me coaching someone else to be better than, so be it.
Speaker 1: I'm here for the team.
Speaker 9: If I have an opinion on something I think I can help someone out, I'm gonna share it, even if we're competing.
Speaker 3: For the same job.
Speaker 1: So that's how it is.
Speaker 3: That's how I'm gonna be. So yeah, it doesn't matter who it is. Practice Squad fifty three.
Speaker 9: I want I want to be as great as I can because people Marshall was like that to me, James Hurst was like that, to me, so I'm gonna pass along.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Raven's Press Past podcast. Also make sure you're head of the Lounge podcast feed. Subscribe both to this feed and.
Speaker 3: The Lounge Feed.
Speaker 1: We've got an interview with Brandon Stevens dropping Thursday morning, share some site into his mindset and approach, so make sure you check that out. You can listen to it wherever you get your podcast. You can also watch it on the Ravens app website and YouTube channel. Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 3: We'll be back with you tomorrow