Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it. We made it to Thursday, Beautiful day in Pittsburgh. Great crowd here at the Distillery Complex in Pittsburgh, are a home away from home all week long. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program.
Speaker 3: All of our.
Speaker 2: Guests this week receive a gift bag provided by Rectech, Panini Penske Dude Wipes as well. First Hour brought to you by Miller Lte. We indulge. What's with the sunglasses? Backro Todd.
Speaker 4: It's exceptionally bright, and I know there must be a reason for that from a visual standpoint on Peacock, but I'm just feeling like a slow burn of my cornea and he's complaining of RETNA issue.
Speaker 5: We're elevated, but we're not trying.
Speaker 6: To be like cool or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Like we have our motorcycle park outside, it's just very bright at the angle that was sitting at.
Speaker 2: We share a Vespa.
Speaker 7: Actually, what Dan, I checked with Control and this is the same lights we use on every remote, the same settings of every lights.
Speaker 5: I never remote bank you.
Speaker 6: I find that difficult to believe.
Speaker 4: I think like if the knob was supposed to up to eight, it feels like it's not about sixty seven sixty seven.
Speaker 6: It's just super bright. But that's fine. I'm gonna squint my way through the laptop vision and we'll be alright.
Speaker 3: Would you like to leave?
Speaker 6: I would like to stay. Okay, I'm just saying you ask me why break suddenly? No, I'm just saying you've gone there.
Speaker 2: Since i'm human resources, I want to make sure that I'm providing a safe environs.
Speaker 6: Do you have an optimologist appointment May eleven?
Speaker 4: Then that could be the difference between me going you know, t O Z C ld F or whatever letters I have to guess back to your in the studio.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a long day. It'll be a long day in it Friday, Fritzy on Thursday. Yes, yes, Marvin, but.
Speaker 8: If Fritzy leaves, we won't hear. I'm talking piece bird to me now.
Speaker 2: That song has stayed in my head.
Speaker 6: It's a bit of an earworm.
Speaker 2: It's terrible, but you provided you want to give a little.
Speaker 4: Bit Clementy Cobran Pops.
Speaker 6: That was the kind of the thing there. Yeah, Black and yellow song.
Speaker 2: It's great. Okay, uh town. We're brought to you by Miller Light. There's a moment for everybody, grab life by by the beer by Miller Light. Legendary moments start with a Miller like play the Day, Pole, question, stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming. Fritzi's here, Dylan's here, Pauli, and we also have Marvin Daniel Jeremiah, the former the front office scout for a couple of teams in the NFL. He'll join us with his final mock draft. He'll join us. Coming up. Bill Cower will stop by Kirk Curb Street. Let me hear it's Steeler fans. Here we go, stee, Thank you man, thank you. It's a nightmare.
Speaker 9: Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dylan is a Ravens fan. Is that a Ravens cap that you have on.
Speaker 9: It's an unofficial one, but it from our boy Kimono' Dave in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: He knew as a Ravens fan. Okay, that's a custom piece. Oh okay, one of one, one on one. Uh yes, Paula.
Speaker 5: That woman just flipped off Dylan. Wow, rude, true stealer fan.
Speaker 9: I stand by the fact that at least We're not in Philadelphia, so I have not.
Speaker 10: Got enough yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we can agree on that. You're lucky. Yeah, you wouldn't have lasted this long in Philadelphia now with the Iggles fans. Uh So, Kirk Kurbstreet and his dog are going to stop by a little later on, and h Hall of Famer Kurt Warner will join us as well. Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock and the NBC Sports Network, also listening on our great radio affiliate's over four hundred cities that carry this program. Uh Draft night tonight.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 2: Jay Glazer was on Barstool yesterday and he teased that something big could be happening. Now, he didn't say, He didn't say much more than that. He said something might be in the words. So, being a journalist that I am, I reached out to Jay Glazer this morning and I said, Jay, what kind of big thing could be happening? He said, blown out of proportion. It's not a Travis Hunter kind of deal. But that was all he said. He said, what's happening is a lot of these teams are kind of in a holding pattern that if this happens, they're going to do this. If this happens, they're going to do this. If none of those things happen, they're going to do this. So you have a lot of what if scenarios. So teams are filling out their draft board where it's almost like a B and C could be happening here. Can Arizona move out of three, which I'm told that they want to. Can the Titans move out of four? Which is what I was told? Who's moving up? What do you have to give up? And there's only one guy. It feels like you're moving up for that's Jeremiah Love. But the question is do the Giants at five? If Jeremiah Love is all of a sudden, they're the commanders. I'm told the same really like Jeremiah Love. Now once again you get told a lot of things, and if you have a platform, then you start to talk about this. Now other teams are like, oh, are the Saints moving up? So all of a sudden, You know, you don't trust anybody, but you do listen if somebody says they're moving up or moving down. I do think the Saints will be active. I think they like Jeremiah Love. The question is the value of going up to get a running back and how much sense that makes in today's NFL. Now, I would go after Jeremiah Love. I think he's the best player in the draft, but at that position, can I get five years out of him? And I always go back to Ezekiel Elliott. I knew he'd be a good football player in the NFL. I just didn't want him for more than five years and the Cowboys re signed it. By the way, do you see Jerry Jones was holding a press conference and he saw Bill Clinton and he had about you know bid it. He went right down, stumbling off the podium to go sail load to Bill Clinton.
Speaker 5: Their secret Service as scrambling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, what's going on here, Jerry? And now the Cowboys have Jerry's put it out there is he's great at doing this. He's a showman. Hey, the Cowboys could be active in moving up now. I was told this morning and that if they're moving up, it would probably be a defensive player that they want to maybe try to get you another great defensive player. It feels like they're trying to replace Michael Parsons after trading aay MIKEH. Parsons. But that's what I was told with the Cowboys. It's not a sexy draft. I don't know if we're going to have anything crazy here, but I do think in ten years from now, we'll look back on the draft and you'll go, boy, they stockpiled their team by getting these players. You're not going to have big ticket items here, but you're going to have players that might be playing seven to ten years. But that's how you win. You know, if you look at Seattle, you can't name anybody on their defensive front, but that defensive front helped win a Super Bowl there how they handled the Patriots. By the way, Mike Brabel is not going to be with the Patriots for Day three of the draft. It was announced this morning that he is going to seek counseling for the third day of the draft. So a Saturday going into counseling. Now, I know we tend to be cynical on this show, and we take great pride in being cynical on this show, but why not go into counseling today? I mean, that's just me, or maybe Monday if you want to. So this is what I found out. I said, well, why are we waiting for counseling after day three? And I'm sure PR said, hey, this will look good. You know you're going to counseling. I was told that if he goes in day three, he doesn't have to meet with the media after the draft because after day three then you get everybody coaches, they meet with the media, and you have a draft review. Well, if you're not there on day three, you don't have to have a draft review. But he's going to beat Mike Grable's going into counseling on Saturday. Yes, Mar what kind of counselor? I don't know that it might be hand holding counseling, like how to hold hands with somebody and not give the feeling that maybe there's something else going on.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paul, you kind of alluded to this, but it feels like a PR crisis team advised Mike Rabel and his camp that if you do this, it'll look like you're focusing on family, not on football, and I'll change a perception of you.
Speaker 5: How do they not realize that everyone's going to look at us and go, this is so faux.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, yes, John, that's like saying, coach will not be around for preseason Game three, but he will be back for Week one. From the start of the season, it's like nothing gets the latter rounds of the draft.
Speaker 6: But mind, you can miss.
Speaker 4: The third day, and I'm sure there's other exs because I could figure it out.
Speaker 2: Don't you think you need him on the third day because you spend all the time on the first two days. The third day is when you try to find those sleepers there, like a you know, a sixth round pick out of Michigan and who's going to be a Hall of Fame quarterback or something.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, Marvin, No, counseling was really important. We had to wait until the third day. It was really really important. Day he goes on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Is it open?
Speaker 8: Is counseling open on Saturdays, Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday.
Speaker 2: That's a big question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, days it a week?
Speaker 2: Do you make it seem like I've been in counseling for holding hands with something.
Speaker 5: You may have to pay time and a half for a Saturday session.
Speaker 2: By the way, it is a meet. Thursday. I walked in, I saw the rectech grills fired up, which means we are too smashed brought worst with hot Copa Cola Primonte style on the Smokestone herb crusted pork loin, grilled steakhouse burgers, wood fired pesto with hot Copa cola pizza. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 11: God?
Speaker 2: Alrighty, Dylan, do the honors pull question today?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 9: Well, we got a couple. I actually have some from Todd that are fun. I'll read them exactly as he sent them. Pittsburgh is I love the city, born and raised baby. I would probably only go there for work purposes. A lovely place. I will most certainly be back for another visit.
Speaker 2: No, thank you.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna fly now with Rocky and Philly.
Speaker 2: What's your answer, ton?
Speaker 6: My answer is I will come back again to visit.
Speaker 4: I actually called my wife when I got here, after I walked around so P and C Park and everything, and I will totally come back. It's some nice restaurants that I didn't do. That little thing that goes up the mountain there, that little tram ride, and I heard that's a fun thing.
Speaker 2: So Todd asked me how fast it is. I was like, no, there is no way you get claustrophobic. There is no way you're going.
Speaker 4: It looks pretty steep, but I was told this who kinds of shops and restaurant. You got to see the other side of the mountain, the Appalachian Trail, whatever is going on up there, So I don't know.
Speaker 6: Gography is not great.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you go up there at Shopton restaurants and then they don't take I guess a credit card.
Speaker 6: So you got to go go to an atm once you get to.
Speaker 4: The top, and it's a you got to get them cash and then give it back.
Speaker 2: Are you pandering right now?
Speaker 4: No, As far as what my answer was, I would come back, Yeah, I would.
Speaker 6: I'll totally come back.
Speaker 4: I may get it a prime in those glass houses.
Speaker 7: I do love the setup with the football stadium, baseball right there.
Speaker 5: They did it with the river, did it right, easily accessible.
Speaker 2: They did it right. I love the atmosphere that was pandering by again. Uh. Bill Cower once again is going to be joining us coming up second hour of the program. He's uh, he's given TV advice to Mike Tomlin. I believe I think Coach Cower's giving Yeah, he's probably saying, you know what, stay in TV. It's a great gig because coward left at forty nine and never came back. But uh, we'll see. I think Tomlin's either two years TV and back out or he's a lifer. All right, Paul, you got to pull question. You want to add the mix here.
Speaker 7: I have a question I've been sitting on for a while. I was going to do this last draft, and this is an all day question for the show, for.
Speaker 5: You, for us.
Speaker 2: So this is a year in the making, year in the making. Wow, it's a big build up. We don't prepare.
Speaker 5: I like to ask you to ask all the guests today.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you.
Speaker 7: Had the number one pick in an all time NFL draft, every single player who's ever played is on the board, and this player you will start your franchise with, knowing what you know about his playing career, who would you pick number one? And we'll all save our answers for the next segment. But it's if you draft Blank, you get whatever years he played, whatever health he had, But you don't get Bill Walsh. With Joe Montana, you're just taking Joe Montana. If it's Joe Montana, okay, if it's Tom Brady, you don't get Belichick.
Speaker 2: In the defense, I'm taking Shudoor Sanders.
Speaker 3: Pro bowler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mel Kiper might take Shodoor Sanders before I do. But well, well everybody will have an answer and opinion on this after the break time, after the break.
Speaker 6: Okay, you guys probably know my pick, but we'll keep that safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, number seven. Yeah, all right, let me see anything else. Kayln de bor got his contract extended, but so did Nate Oates, the basketball coach, and I was told this was in the work since December. They promised Kaylin de Boor in December, and they felt that they should do the basketball coach as well, Natoates. This just feels like it's another college football buy out, you know, It's like Jimbo Fisher's seventy seven million, Brian Kelly fifty three, James Franklin forty eight. Feels like that's the new wave here of extending these coaches. It's just like, yeah, we're gonna show a commitment here until we buy you out and get somebody else. Because I thought Kaylen Debor in Michigan was real. I thought that was real this past year.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, who's got it better than fired college football head coaches?
Speaker 2: No, No, nobody, Buddy all right, We'll come back with Daniel Jeremiahs final mock draft and we'll get to phone calls as well. Eight seven to seven three DP show. We're back after this on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP. You're ready, NFL fans, when the lights hit the stage, when the picks go down, we got you. Listen to the best NFL insider change Lason, one of the best linebackers in LaVar Errington, a man who's been in the war room, former Falcons, GM, Terry Foutina, Fox Sports hosts and Jenny Tap April twenty third, and by the Emisific. It's Draft Night, lock and it's brought to you by Express Pros and we will your NNFL draft coverage is on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Got our poll question today, it's phone calls coming up. Daniel Jeremiah, NFL network analyst. He'll join us here momentarily. Nobody's hotter than the quarterbacks who aren't available for this year's draft, because I got the Heisman odds here, just got him from DraftKings Arch Manning and CJ. Carr of Notre Dame best odds to win the Heisman. Then it's Dante Moore, Julian sayin Trinidad, shambleiss back for his sixth year in college, Doctor Champlis, Yes, Josh Hoover and Darien Menza. But CJ. Carr. I remember Brady Quinn was with it. Now, granted, Brady Quinn Notre Dame guy, but he said during the year that he thought CJ. Carr was the best quarterback in college football. Dan Orlofsky's all in on CJ. It doesn't take long for these guys to fall in love with quarterbacks, because it wasn't long ago when Orlovsky was in love with Ty Simpson. Has he already moved on to another quarterback here? But CJ. Carr and Arch Manning are the favorites for the Heisman Trophy coming up next year. Andrew and Washington leads us off this morning. Good morning, Andrew, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Good morning, Dan Denned, Thanks for taking my call. Great set in Pittsburgh, as you guys have mentioned, with a nice view behind you. Just real quick. It's been a tradition since the Kenny Pickett draft. But PAULI and I have always had a first day draft bet, and I was wondering if he was willing to fancy another bet this year for today, and I would go off of what Albert Breuer said on Monday, the over under a quarterbacks taken in the first round of one and a half. He can choose if he wants over under, if he wants to take the bet.
Speaker 2: All right, Pauli, you want over or under quarterbacks taken first round.
Speaker 5: I will take over.
Speaker 7: I think someone will trade up into the end of the first round to get Ty Simpsons, so I will take two in round one.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, thank you, Andrew Todd. You're going to start your franchise all time. Who are you taking?
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with seven John Oway to.
Speaker 2: All right, what about you, Dylan.
Speaker 9: I'm inclined to say Ed Reid, but I'll probably go with Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 7: All right, Paul, Now you get their whole career, but all the injuries and.
Speaker 5: Whatever happens, I'm gonna go with Reggie White.
Speaker 7: I will get a first team All Pro defensive lineman for fifteen years, no drop off.
Speaker 2: No injuries.
Speaker 3: All right, Marvin, is it Okay, if I.
Speaker 5: Do a repeat, he's off the board.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't know we're board. Okay, who would you take?
Speaker 3: Ray Lewis?
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, great answer, Marvin, fantastic answer.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, Greg Lloyd, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 7: Some people online said, obviously it's Tom Brady, but Tom Brady is reliant on the team around him and.
Speaker 5: The coach he had. You don't get all that stuff.
Speaker 7: Or even with Joe Montana, would you Joe Montana be Joe Montana if he didn't have everything around him with the Niners?
Speaker 2: Would Jerry Rice be Jerry Rice without Steve Unger Joe Montana?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: I think Fritzie's pick is really great because John Elway was fantastic anywhere with his abilities and probably would have been regardless the team.
Speaker 5: Same with Dan Marino.
Speaker 7: Dan Marino, if he went to the Niners, probably would have four Super Bowl rings.
Speaker 4: Yes, time they did have those three amigos, so that helped to rise John Elway to greatness.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, m I would probably lean towards Reggie White, like if I want sustainability and greatness. I think he was an All Pro at twenty six and thirty six something crazy like that, and he is. Having seen Lawrence Taylor up close in games from the sidelines, I've never seen somebody so fast and strike fear in the opposition like lt did. He changed game plans more than probably anybody that I've ever witnessed in the history of football defensively. But I would say Reggie White because I don't think there's me and Joe Green would be similar to him. But I think Reggie White might be the best defensive player of all time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pauling, I'm looking at Reggie White's stats. He was Defensive Player of the Year at age twenty five and again at age thirty six, which is nuts. You know how many times he was not All Pro None his worst season, he was All Pro.
Speaker 8: Yes, mart and left tackles need to thank Lawrence Taylor for getting paid the way they do, Yeah, because they don't get it without Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 2: But I can also look at a defensive player he doesn't need other players like Reggie White didn't need other teammates to be great. Your quarterback needs other players, your offensive line, wide receivers, et cetera. Your running back needs offensive line. So you're always dependent on somebody, And I think that's where Reggie was different. Yes, Mark lt won the league MVP Award.
Speaker 6: You know, ridiculous that sounds.
Speaker 8: I know, somebody's got to have forty eight thousand sacks in a season.
Speaker 3: Not that many, forty seven thousand.
Speaker 9: Sorry, go ahead, Yes, Dylan Well LTI also invented the position, so on top of getting tackles paid, he's also gotten edge rushers paid.
Speaker 2: To Daniel Jeremiah if Network Analysts co host to Move the Sticks podcast, you can see him throughout NFL Networks coverage of the draft tonight, starting at A Eastern. He's Daniel Jeremiah back on the program, Tob.
Speaker 3: Could you see you traditions continuous?
Speaker 2: Yes, it does. We always love having you. Let's start with the question, you can take one player start your franchise all time.
Speaker 3: I'll take John Lway.
Speaker 12: Okay, Yeah, I just think that the talent was ridiculous and the people that I respect that I got into scouting with it had been around forever and said that he was the best.
Speaker 2: And if you look at what he did, he didn't have many all pros at the skill position, and it became John, it's a close game. We're going to rely on you go win the game. And it felt like he was able to win those games. Now Brady standing alone, knowing what we know about him. If I and Brady said this to me years ago, if I was taken in the first round, I never would have survived because I would have been thrown in early. I wasn't ready to play, et cetera. But where would Brady be in a take him number one overall? You don't even know what your team or your coaches.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's a great question. Obviously, the accomplishments are un rival. But to me, if you told me I could just get Tom Brady like starting year three and for the next twenty plus years, whatever he played, I would I would sign up for that.
Speaker 3: He'd be pretty high up there.
Speaker 12: But in terms of just the raw talent jumping right into the mix, like you said he, I don't think he would even put himself there.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take away quarterbacks.
Speaker 12: What would you take well, I mean Reggie White would be would be right there. We just said twenty five and thirty six, the defensive player year the year.
Speaker 3: I don't know how do you go against that.
Speaker 12: I mean, I was They don't want to hear it, but I mean I was in Baltimore, Ray Lewis, and that was an incredible run, an incredible ride. But even as much as he impacted the game, Reggie White changed everything.
Speaker 3: I mean he freed up everybody else in that whole front.
Speaker 2: Everybody's going to him more important, Ray Lewis or Ed Reid.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, wow.
Speaker 12: I would say Ray just because the run game he could have. He could just shut down a run game by himself. But there were oftentimes of those Ravens teams who are our best chance to scores with Ed Reid.
Speaker 3: On defense, I mean, our offense is not great. It was my wife. We've been watching the games at home and be like, our offense is on the field.
Speaker 12: You want to get something neat we'll be back, so you get the defense back out there.
Speaker 2: But when you look back on that defense, you know, Steel Curtain defense, Doomsday defense, Purple people leaders, You've had so many great the Ravens defense. Can you say unequivocally that's the greatest defense of all time? If I look at one year, or I look at a span of five years, just that change your opinion. Because the Bears in eighty five, then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good. They should have won more that's gonna be hard.
Speaker 2: And the Giants should have won more. Yeah, with their defenses as great as they were, but Steele curtain, you got to keep everybody there wasn't free agency.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: But the Ravens with what they did.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: And of course the great scouting department.
Speaker 3: That all those guys there were well before I got there.
Speaker 2: You don't get credit for.
Speaker 12: I know, I get to to co sponsor Hillodi Nada. That's about where that ends uat.
Speaker 2: So greatest defense of all time is.
Speaker 3: I would still say eighty five Bears.
Speaker 12: Okay, Yeah, I mean and that's we Mike Singletary work with the Ravens for a little bit and got to know him some, so that that was hearing some of those stories about that group and just how dominant they were.
Speaker 3: It's hard. It's hard to go against them.
Speaker 2: You came out with your final mock draft. Yeah, the biggest surprise is going to be where where does the draft change?
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting at three.
Speaker 12: I think Arizona's got such a fascinating decision, and it's a it's a mixture of an on field decision.
Speaker 3: And an off field decision. Like this, this organization doesn't have any buzz or juice. You know.
Speaker 12: Kyler, for whatever his faults were, was entertaining, you know, as a reason for people to watch the team. And now he's gone and you're kind of looking at him like I always go back to if you looked up in the stands, like what jerseys are you going to.
Speaker 3: See up there? You know what I mean?
Speaker 12: Kurt Warner, Yeah, it's a Kurt warnering Kwan Bold, Larry Fitzgerald. I mean, obviously McBride's a great player, but you can talk yourself into or to Jeremiah Love knowing, hey, are we ready right now to feature all that he does really well?
Speaker 3: Probably not, but he does make him interesting and exciting.
Speaker 12: I had him trading it because logically that made more sense to me. Of your pieces away, you could trade it and potentially get another first round pick in twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Get your right tackle now.
Speaker 12: I was talking to Kellimore the other day and he was talking about how one of the keys to their team going forward is that they got those tackles in place before they drafted Chuck and that gave him a chance to be successful with a good offensive line.
Speaker 3: So I kind of believe in the order of how you build this thing.
Speaker 12: But I also get the business side of it too, of like, man, we got to have something to sell here.
Speaker 2: I could see the Saints going after Jeremiah Off. I know they got the Kamara situation, but Jeremiah Love is a home run He's a home run hitter.
Speaker 3: He's a great player. I mean I have him. His number two player in the draft.
Speaker 2: Who is better than him?
Speaker 3: I have Mendoza.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think Mendoz is worthy of being the first overall pick. I know some people are saying, Oh, it's just these are quarterbacks. He's getting elevated up there. I think there's I think he's better than that.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how much of this is his talent? How much of this is his story?
Speaker 3: I still think it's his talent.
Speaker 12: I mean, he's gonna go to bed tonight at six foot five two and forty hounds.
Speaker 3: I mean that's that's not a story, that's a fact.
Speaker 12: Like he is a big, strong dude who if you just look at the stuff that you can't really debate. He's got the size, he's got the physical, mental toughness. I think you can all we all agree on that he's been great lad in games, He's been great inside the red zone. The bigger the game, the bigger the moment, the better he played. Like all that stuff is all true. Now we can say there's some things he can improve on, and like anybody else, needs some development, but that's a pretty good place to start from.
Speaker 2: I was impressed with him when we talked to him on Monday. He's just and when he says to you, I went back and looked at every single Kirk Cousins throw in Minnesota because he's been compared. I compared him to Kirk Cousins and people are like, why why would you do that? I go, I would sign up for Kirk Cousins career if I'm the Raiders. And with mondo'z. I also said Joe Flacco, if I could have that career longevity at that pick quality face of the franchise, you know, I think we want him to be Mahomes or Josh Allen and he's not.
Speaker 12: No, No, There's only a couple of those guys that come around.
Speaker 3: So to me, like he's a winning quarterback.
Speaker 12: And you think about Cousins, there was a stretch, don't Dan probably six years where everybody would agree Kirk Cousins is anywhere from like seven to twelve. He's like the seventh or twelfth best quarterback in the league and they're winning games and going to the playoffs. I think the Raiders would sign up for that in a heartbeat.
Speaker 2: Jerry Jones always throws out something cryptic that they could be moving up, and if they do, it's probably defense here. But is there anybody else that you see where you go? They're going to be a mover. They're they're coming up because every draft it feels like there's five to seven trades in average in the last ten years. In the first round, well.
Speaker 12: I think in the back, you're gonna see a ton of movement, you know, like Tampa's at fifteen, for example, they're looking at at edge rushers.
Speaker 3: Is potentially there a guy like a Key Mezador.
Speaker 12: Well, you know there's a tackle run coming, you know, starting with Detroit. So I always, I always feel bad for some of those teams that have that obvious glaring need because it's like a bullseye on your chest. So if you know Detroit as a tackle team, you want to get ahead of them. So that's the Jets at sixteen, that's Tampa at fifteen.
Speaker 3: So if Tampa wants a pass rusher.
Speaker 12: They can go back into the early twenties and still get a guy like Mezzador. So it makes a lot of sense for them to be a target. Come up, get in front of the Lions, get your tackle there. So that's a spot. I think we'll see a lot of movement around those tackles at that point in time. But up at the top, you know, you think about three teams. The Saints Mickey Lomas is just aggressive. At twenty five trades, he's gone north twenty five times, south zero times. He's traded future first round picks three times since two thousand and eight. So they're aggressive. So they would be one I always keep an eye on, and then the other two Kansas City and the Rams don't belong picking up there. They're they're in a better roster position and where they are, you know, in super Bowl contenders. So I could see them saying, you know, how often are we going to be this close? Like, let's let's go be aggressive and try and go get a big time blue chip player.
Speaker 2: What does Ty Simpson do better than Fernando Mendoza.
Speaker 12: He is more, he's more fluid. I would say he's just more a little bit more mechanically sound. Mendoza is a little bit more robotic. But Mendoza has got more horsepower. He's bigger, you know, sturdier, he's you know, more durable, you know, in that way.
Speaker 3: So look, Ty's Ty. You can you watch him. You can tell his dad's a coach.
Speaker 12: Like his footwork is excellent, He's got a perfect release, he throws a really nice ball. All that stuff is great, but he just got some of the physical limitations.
Speaker 3: At Fernande and Half.
Speaker 2: Daniel Jeremi, NFL network analyst, and he'll be on the coverage tonight at eight eastern on NFL Network here in Pittsburgh. If Arch Manning was coming out.
Speaker 12: I mean he'd be I mean, I haven't done the full work up on him, so I wouldn't stand on the table and say this is gospel. But just off of the tools that you could that we all can see, and then you add into the pedigree of that, he would he'd be in the conversation up there.
Speaker 3: At the top.
Speaker 2: Would you still take Mendoza that?
Speaker 12: I mean, I would want to do a deeper dive before I would say that, but I would say that that would be the discussion we'd be having would be those two guys one versus one of what.
Speaker 3: That looked like.
Speaker 2: But I got CJ.
Speaker 3: Cart notre dame Dan, So he's Dan's already in on CJ.
Speaker 2: Huh Orlofsky's already fallen in love with him.
Speaker 3: True story, true story. I went to the pediatrist foot doctor. The doctor walks.
Speaker 12: Into the room and he goes, he goes, oh, he goes, Hey, Daniel excited for the draft of go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good to see a doctor, goes man. Orlowski really likes Tys Simpson.
Speaker 12: I'm like, can we can we fix my what before we get into Orlaski and Ti?
Speaker 2: What's the craziest in the war room moment that you experienced? Oh?
Speaker 12: Man, uh gosh, there's our argument.
Speaker 3: Yo. I can tell you that we've called the player.
Speaker 12: I've been in there and we've had to call a player and tell him we're picking him. It was Clarence Moore was a wide receiver and this is like the fifth or sixth round. And then while we were on the phone telling him, he was talking to Bashadi the owner.
Speaker 3: Why that happened? We got a trade offer.
Speaker 12: And then like you see it, they go no, no, hang out, hang up the phone, hang up the phone.
Speaker 3: So like literally, I don't even remember what mister Bashadi said, Hey, we'll call you back. No, no, but they hung up the phone.
Speaker 12: Thankfully we got this trade and then we still ended up picking the same guy. But it was a tense, uncomfortable moment for sure. He must have his head must have been spinning.
Speaker 2: When you have a new coach coming in with Baltimore. Uh, given what Harball did there? Yeah, how much I'm looking at the odds. The Ravens have the best ones to make the playoffs according to drafts. Yes, and that's where a new coach coming in. So what does that do to the Ravens as far as offensive philosophy or I know Monkin is an offensive guy, how do you change? Do you do anything different with Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 12: I'm curious to see. I think that there's some work to be done on this roster. You know that surprises me to have them viewed in that light at this point in the process. They need to have a good draft. Offensively, you're bringing Decklan Doyle. I mean, I think they want to kind of open it up a little bit and and they'll be a little they'll be a little I don't want to say exotic, but they'll just be a little more.
Speaker 2: But he's not running as much as he did Lamar, I know, and I think that's a mistake.
Speaker 12: I like that threat of him doing that. I think that's what makes him makes them special. I'm curious to see the pieces that they had this.
Speaker 2: They all stop running after a while. Cam Cam did I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Look, I I.
Speaker 2: Mean, johsh Allen's the rarity because.
Speaker 12: He's built like a liath. I mean, so it's Cam, but the you know, Lamar, I don't know. It's going to be fascinating to see how they put it together with him. I mean, you look at Caleb and what they did with him in Chicago. Lamar's Margan and go under center more. We're going to see some of that. I'm curious to see how they kind of meld this thing together. I'm also look, they need to get any interior offensive lineman. Ronnie Stanley's not getting any younger on the edge. They could add another white out like, They've got some pieces they need to add there.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make you the GM of the Steelers. Okay, what are you doing well?
Speaker 12: I mean when they talk about, you know, your left tackle not being fully healthy.
Speaker 3: That scares me. So that's a direction that I'm looking at.
Speaker 2: I know, people, so you assume Aaron Rodgers is going to be your quarterback?
Speaker 3: I do they surely they know. I mean, I'm.
Speaker 2: Assuming so you want that If you're the GM, we.
Speaker 3: Can ride it another year.
Speaker 12: I think there's I think the Steelers quarterback the futures in the twenty seven draft, and I know everybody does want to hear that.
Speaker 3: Everybody always says next year is going to be better. We hear that. I truly believe that.
Speaker 12: I think that the way that they're going to try and make one little run here this last ride with Rogers. I thought, you know, before Cousins signed, maybe that would be a fallback. Once he signed, I figured they have to have assurances.
Speaker 2: Well why not trade for Malik Willis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I don't think they had.
Speaker 12: I don't think they had the belief last year and then malikos as a free agent sign James, Yeah, I might.
Speaker 3: Sounds like Mac Jones is not going anywhere. That surprised me.
Speaker 2: Well, if I'm San Francisco, I don't let him go. No, I wait until somebody may get maybe it gets hurt and maybe you get a little bit more. But you know, Seattle got Sam Darnold and people went, what are you doing? And you I don't know. They took a swing and it worked out for them. I just Pittsburgh's kicking the can down the road here with Aaron Yeah.
Speaker 12: I mean, I just don't think that there's one of their satisfaction in this group. I would I still wouldn't sleep on you know, as we get a little bit further on in the draft, I'd look at a guy like Carson Beckett. That could be uh, that could be an option here for the Steelers.
Speaker 2: You get nervous when you go on the draft.
Speaker 12: No, because I got a buddy that's been broadcasting for a long time but always texted me during the draft.
Speaker 2: It always does very unprofessional of me to do it, but I always our tradition a nice text. I know, I know, I think I basically say, don't screw up. That's my motivation.
Speaker 3: It's funny, it's just so encouraged.
Speaker 12: This says shut up all caps, exclamation point, exclamation points.
Speaker 2: Does your father, who is a minister, yeah, how does he has he helped you in your presentation of how you can you know he's talking to a congregation. Yeah, you're talking to a bigger audience.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he's yeah, he's he's helped me. I remember the first time I went on television. It was I was in a studio in Orange County and I was doing something with ESPN, and so you're just at the first time you're looking into a camera and not a person. Dan Yeah, And it was on and my eyes were going and my dad was nice as can be. It was like, hey, you know, we have some cameras at the church.
Speaker 3: Maybe you could come down. We could practice a little bit looking into a camera.
Speaker 2: Who was a better broadcaster?
Speaker 3: Oh he is. He's been doing it for fifty years. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's pretty charismatic.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So he's yeah, he's he's got me there.
Speaker 2: Great to see you again. Good to see you have fun tonight. Daniel Jeremiah co host to Move the Sticks podcast, our player of to day up next from Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live. The NFL Draft is where it all starts.
Speaker 3: This is crazy. I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: From the picks to the breakdowns. Weird covering all of it because in the NFL.
Speaker 3: I'll put myself in a position to be here.
Speaker 1: One pick can change everything. It's Draft Night, Lock joined Jenny Tapped, Jay Laser, LeVar Arrington and former Falcons GM Terry Bomo. April twenty third and five pm. And it's brought to you by Express Bros.
Speaker 3: And we won.
Speaker 1: It's format Fox Sports Radio. Oh my God.
Speaker 2: Of the Day.
Speaker 1: Play the Play of the Day. Check this out back hands it Hayskin it return for Jason Robertson, hay Skin it straight away, shot deflected.
Speaker 6: Scored Dallas Whit's.
Speaker 1: It buyet Johnskin the deflection in.
Speaker 11: Front a power play goal and the Stars have Believe.
Speaker 2: In the series courtesy of the Stars Radio Network. Johnston, who led the NHL during the regular season with twenty seven power play goals, as two more in the postseason. Play of the Day brought to you by tire rack dot Com prover forty years helping you find the right tires for well, where and how you drive. Tire rack dot Com the way tire buying should be all right, a couple of phone calls. Would you update the poll results there?
Speaker 9: Dylan, Yes, I will, Dan, Pittsburgh, love it Born, and Rays would only go for work worth another visit or more of a Philly fan. Fifty two percent of people think it's worth another visit.
Speaker 2: They agree with Todd. Yeah, I don't even know why you came up with this pole question.
Speaker 4: I wanted to do something with local flavor, and that's why you know we have a Pittsburgh rhymetime or did the Pittsburgh song whenever we go on the road.
Speaker 6: I like to kind of do something local that wasn't meant to be mean.
Speaker 4: There was two nice choices and two snarky negative choices.
Speaker 6: There's two of each.
Speaker 2: Anything else doing We can add another one.
Speaker 9: Dan, Paul and I were talking about this just as a general life policy, trade up or trade down?
Speaker 2: Wait, does that apply to your home life? Like the can apply to whatever you choose to id am okay, just got serious, yes, Paul.
Speaker 7: So Dylan and I were discussing this as a theoretical.
Speaker 5: Thing in life.
Speaker 7: So let's say you're in twenty two years old and a really great girlfriend and things are going well. Do you say you know what maybe I could trade up and keep an eye on what's out there, or stick trade down whatever you may be the safe option.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you trade down in life?
Speaker 5: Fair point?
Speaker 2: I can tell you.
Speaker 7: Well, you could end up unintentionally trading down by giving up a good thing and going backwards.
Speaker 6: Yes, time, maybe it's like the Ginger Marianne thing.
Speaker 4: You can get that really hot one, but there's just no personality there, and you've got to deal with this person every day.
Speaker 6: Or someone that's cute you're not quite as attracted to. But that's the marrying kind. Is that kind of okay?
Speaker 2: But who was hotter on Gilligan's Island?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: And I'm taking Gilligan out of the mix. I'm just talking about. Oh I did do that Ginger and Marianne.
Speaker 6: I always thought everyone. Look Ginger is like your one night stand for lack of a better word, and Marianne is the one that you would actually marry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ginger was for a weekend in Vegas, Marianne was for life.
Speaker 6: That's well said.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd, Thank you Todd. Uh Nathan in Texas? Hi, Nate, what's on your mind today? Hey Dan? How you doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 11: This is my third or fourth time, Colin, Oh, I'm sorry. Uh, let's see, I'm five and a hopeful dad Bob two thirty. So about two weeks ago, on the day that Seaton left, I got fired about thirty minutes before the show ended, and I was trying to call in to say that it's Nathan O'Connor instead of seating Oga. You know, I I wanted to make that joke that day, but I couldn't. And then on Monday, I spent the whole last week.
Speaker 2: You know, without a job.
Speaker 11: I just got a new job, but the whole week without the Dan Patrick show. And Monday morning, I'm calling and no answer. I'm calling, I'm calling.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why isn't the show on?
Speaker 11: I'm seeing it on Peacock and then I see the corner and it says previously recorded, and I'm like, oh, wow, well that sucks.
Speaker 1: But I wanted to.
Speaker 11: Call in because today is my daughter's birthday and her grandparents are a huge fan of the show, and I was hoping to have you guys, maybe the audience do that really dismissive birthday? You know?
Speaker 2: Song Okay, what's her name? Her name is Jordan Jordan Okay, birth.
Speaker 5: Yes, we work Jordan to the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we always gotta work Michael Jordan. Thank you, Nathan, Mike and Wisconsin. Hi Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Hey, good morning, Dan Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 11: Date.
Speaker 13: Now that dealing is officially a Danette, I wanted to give him a proper welcome because I don't think he's gotten one of these yet, so suck it doing uh, And then I've got a little drafted trivia. Three NFL teams have never had the overall number one pick.
Speaker 2: Okay, three teams have never had the number one overall pick. One is Baltimore, yep one okay. The other one is Seattle.
Speaker 10: Yep one.
Speaker 11: More.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's a trick question because people think that Elway went number one to Denver, so Denver would be the other team.
Speaker 13: Yepy Broncos.
Speaker 2: You got it all right?
Speaker 6: Nice?
Speaker 5: That's to walk off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Elway wasn't drafted number one by Denver.
Speaker 6: He did not want to play for the coll to you threaten to play for the Yankees before he was.
Speaker 2: No, No, we got it.
Speaker 3: No, we know the story.
Speaker 2: I know, but we know the story.
Speaker 6: I'm a John Halloway. Thanks anytime. Ahead, didn't get a worded.
Speaker 4: I know Mark Jackson, Vince Johnsons I referred to.
Speaker 2: Got uh, you lead a sad life.
Speaker 6: You know that I don't have a lot of interest. I very narrow interest level.
Speaker 2: I know Chinese food, porn. That sounds great, Broncos. You know, I come to think that there's probably a lot of guys that have those things.
Speaker 6: In come. You pretty much nailed it. I can't think of another thing.
Speaker 2: All right, let's clean up our act. Bill Cowers coming in here. We'll talk to Kirk Kurbstreet. He's bringing his dog again. Saw him and his dog better looking Herb Street's dog or Herb Street discussed kerk Warner will join us as well. Two hours still to come.