Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. I'm Hannah Elliott and I'm Matt Miller.
Speaker 2: This is Hot Pursuit.
Speaker 1: Coming up on today's podcast. We have a bit of a mixed bag for you. Today we're gonna do some listener emails and give us a chance to respond to all of the feedback that you give us, which we do.
Speaker 3: Love absolutely and actually, you know, there's a there's a new thing I've noticed in our emails, and you can always message us at Hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net. I've been getting like news Bob, a longtime listener. Bob sends me stories like about comparison that Roadentrack is doing the a MGGT sixty three pro versus the Porsche nine to eleven GT three, which makes sense because I was saying that those two are are strong competitors. And on that new Hennessy supercar with a gated six speed manual. I had kind of heard murmurings about this, but I didn't know the details until Bob sent it to me. So I want to encourage our listeners if you see a cool story that you haven't heard us talking about, or if you have a good idea about a possible newslead. Definitely send us an email because it's super helpful and I appreciate it, so thank you, Bob.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree. We love the on the grand organic reporting that we get from you guys. That's like the best, the best stuff, and it's where we get the real, the real deal info. So keep it coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we'll go through some of our viewer our listener emails and comments. A reminder again, the email address is Hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net. We are always excited and do read everything that you send to us, even if we don't respond immediately because we're trying to deal with other issues. I've got, by the way, a five week old baby sitting here till so you might hear him cooing and grabbing for his child. Okay, but I do love these viewer emails. Plus I want to talk about my struggle to find the perfect family car. I've been driving a lot of SUVs. I haven't caved to the mini van never yet, and I probably never will. But I'm finding there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. I've driven the new GMC Acadia. I'm driving the old Dodge Durango, but with the three ninety two. I have been looking around the Lexus offerings like the g X five point fifty, and obviously I still am partial to my Nissan Armada, so we'll see. We'll talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 1: And upcoming and Pebble Beach is coming up next week. This is Monterey Car Week. On Monday, I will have a piece going live online and it will also be in the September issue of the magazine. And the piece is really about the transition that is happening at the actual Pebble Beach concor which happens on the Sunday at the end of Car Week, where we have Sondra Button, who has been the chairman of Pebble Beach for forty years. She's actually transitioning out and she will be replaced in October by Vince Finaldi, who is a very successful lawyer and owns a restoration shop in Monterey former Marine and they are both wonderful people. They are both very different people, and I spent time with each of them in Carmel for this piece, and I think it was really fun, and I think this piece really gets at this sort of changing of the guard that is happening and maybe even a generational change too. At Pebble Beach's.
Speaker 3: Let's kind of kick it off with that, Hannah, because I think it's really interesting that Vince is. Well, it's annoying that he's in his early fifties and so successful because what he was in the marine, so he served the country. He's a learned lawyer, so he's a super smart.
Speaker 2: Guy.
Speaker 1: He is the type of lawyer that does like cases to protect from child abuse, to really go after child abusers and especially educational systems that were sort of a safe haven for child abusers.
Speaker 3: Okay, so again in the service of our nation and our great society, Thank you so much for that.
Speaker 2: Plus, he owns a Lamborghini store.
Speaker 1: He owns a restoration shop where they they primarily work on Lamborghinis and Ferraris. He's got some serious porschas. I actually took a drive with him in his nine eleven career MFI. And this he comes to it very authentically because his father was a mechanic straight from Italy with the last name Finale. You might have imagined his father was truly a mechanic who had a restoration shop and garage, and so he grew up around it, and he also did a lot of work on like rebuilding diesel and sort of heavy machinery as well. So yeah, he's very accomplished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is pretty amazing, and it'll be interesting to see what he does with Pebble Beach, right, because until a few years ago, or maybe the last decade, I've always thought of the concore as dealing with i mean pre war cars or like at the youngest, like sixties.
Speaker 2: Ferraris right, and just the kind.
Speaker 3: Of stuff that our parents would have been into, if our parents were par people, or that you know, like the blue chips of the And this guy seems like he's going to bring a little bit more of a kind of a radwood flayer to the thing.
Speaker 1: That is very very perceptive with you. And that is really the crux of the story, because yes, Pebble Beach has made its name on being a showcase of the world's most expensive and most significant cars, and typically those have been pre war and you know, cars from the fifties, sixties, some seventies, but really the core is the older cars. Sondra of course is older. She I'm not going to say her age, but she's you know, she's been doing it for a long time, and her advantage really has been that she knows and is friends with all of these people who own these very significant older cars there. They tend to be, as you know, wealthy people can be rather discreet, and Sondra has really become very powerful in the way that she is friends with them. She convinces them to bring their cars and show their cars, and all of that is is as it has been. Vince, yes, he is a newer generation. He's a younger generation. When I spoke with him, he definitely said, we need to shake it up a bit. This is it's a getting a little bit fuddy duddy. It's a little bit long in the tooth. We need to bring some real life to it, including, you know, doing things like improving social media, improving the parking, improving the merchandising at the show. So there is sort of a tension between how much do we celebrate and maintain the beautiful prestige that made this show what it is versus it does need to evolve and stay up with the times or it will become irrelevant. So there is you're exactly right, there is a push pull, Matt. That will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
Speaker 3: So what can you tell us about You're getting ready to go to Monterey, right, You're gonna get in your Lamborghini and fly up there, but at a reasonable speed this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what can you I mean?
Speaker 3: You also happen to know a lot of stuff that is still under embargo, so you can tell our listeners everything that you're going to cover. But what kind of preview can you share with us about the highlights you're most excited about.
Speaker 1: Well, I can tell you that, you know, we have discussed with Singer. Singer will be bringing some very interesting, unprecedented work that they've done. Singer, of course, is the Porstcho reimagined company out here in California. In fact, next week we've got an interview with Maz and Rob who run Singer, about these new prop I expect it they will make quite a big splash and will be polarizing even and then we'll also see new debuts from Lamborghini, from Bugatti, from Bentley, and you know, basically every major automaker will have something to show on the new side, and many of those things will be at the Quail, this big show at the Peninsula hotel called the Quail. But Honestly, I really love going to the auctions. And something that maybe is overlooked is that during Car Week there are five major auction houses doing sales throughout the week of these amazing cars, and you can go to the auction for free. This is one of the great things about Car Week. And yes, there are some very expensive things happening during Car Week, but there are also plenty of free or inexpensive things to do, and just going to the auction preview and looking at all of these amazing cars close up is one of my favorite things to do. So that's what I'm actually looking forward to.
Speaker 3: By the way, you cover this event and have been for many many years as a journalist.
Speaker 2: But are there.
Speaker 3: Are there any organized, you know, gatherings that a normal enthusiast can take part in, Like would you be able to bring one of your.
Speaker 2: Cars there to show?
Speaker 3: Uh? Is there like a you know, a sort of an elevated cars and coffee. Does Magnus ever rock up in one of his creations there? You know that's not necessarily like a gto, but is still a cool car.
Speaker 1: He has in the past and there, And the short answer to your thing is yes. For instance, the Porsche Works Reunion, which happens every every year. It's on the Friday. It actually happens during the Quail. This is a big Porsche show where there are hundreds of Porsche cars of all types, all variety. That. Yes, if you you can enter your car in to this show. It happens on a golf course in Monterey. It's awesome. So that's just like the first thing that comes to mind. Yes, there are many ways you can bring your own cars. There are lots of different rallies. There's a thing called Cavelino. Uh oh wait, edit that out, don't say cavalino. Don Patrol, Yeah, I do love a Don Patrol. Now. Down Patrol is when you wake up very early, at like four point thirty the day of the Pebble Beach Concord, anyone can go down and watch the cars that are going to be displayed later, go down to the Pebble Beach Golf Club in the early morning fog and watch as they bring each car onto the golf course. It's kind of painful because it's so early and it's always cold, but it is worth it.
Speaker 2: I love it that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we used to have that at my at camp Kawani and well Maine. You could be in the Polar Bear Club, which meant you had to wake up and go for a swim in the lake at like six o'clock in the morning and it was ice cold, and if you did it like ten times, then you got a white stripe on your canoe paddle, which actually cool.
Speaker 1: Did you have any sort of like bonfire, Oh yeah for you when you got out and like no.
Speaker 3: No, not not when you got out, not when you When you got out, you had to go to the mess hall and get your food and get started on whatever you were doing for the day like rifle range or water skiing or woodworking or whatever it was. But we had huge bonfires at that camp every week. I had some really interesting boys going to camp with me, including Julio and Enrique Iglesias.
Speaker 1: They went to your they went to my camp.
Speaker 2: My camp.
Speaker 3: My camp in Maine was was kids from the Columbus, Ohio area, some kids from New Jersey, and then some kids from Madrid, including at the time Prince Philip of.
Speaker 2: Family who is now the King.
Speaker 1: This is called Camp Kiwani.
Speaker 3: Camp Kiwani great. This is the main reason I'm excited to have had a boy. Now I just had my third kid for listeners who don't know, and my first boy. The first two I had were girls, and I'm I love that more than anything. But I've always been so bummed that they can't go to my camp.
Speaker 2: And now I finally.
Speaker 3: Have a little legacy here that I can send to Camp Kiwane, which is pretty cool. Let's get to the to the to the family car comparison I've been doing, because I had a GMC Acadia last week for the week.
Speaker 1: It was a press car. This was a press car.
Speaker 3: Press car, Yeah, And I was kind of prepared to be disappointed because I always want the.
Speaker 2: Extreme of things.
Speaker 3: So if I'm gonna have a GMC SUV and I love the brand, as listeners know, and I love the Yukon especially, I want the biggest one, right, I mean, not necessarily the Yukon XL, but the big body on frame truck with the big the biggest V eight motor they make. They make two right now, the five to three and the six point two liter V eight, and I would always when I'm configuring mine on the internet, I always go for the six to two. By the way, I can't wait for that to be a six point seven liter V eight, which is gonna happen, I think for the twenty twenty eight model year. But the Acadia only has a little four cylinder motor. It's like a turbocharge two point four leader four cylinder, and it's a unibody vehicle. And I thought, you know, this is gonna be a bummer and I probably won't yeah drive it very much.
Speaker 2: But it is so room first of all, so roomy on the interior.
Speaker 3: It has more room in it than my Mercedes GLS, which is the biggest suv Mercedes makes, And it looks genuinely cool.
Speaker 2: I mean it looks kind of rugged.
Speaker 3: This one was the Dnale version, so it has big wheels, and I just think that they got the styling so right that it kind of looks like it would be maybe a Broncho competitor.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, what color is the one you had?
Speaker 3: I got It was a dark silvery gray, really nice paint job and really cool interior.
Speaker 2: Because it's the Denali version.
Speaker 3: I don't think I would pick that version for myself because I had twenty two inch wheels, which is like, I feel like that's already too much for a big SUV. So for the midsize offering, it's a little crazy.
Speaker 1: You think they're too big at twenty two.
Speaker 2: I think they're too big.
Speaker 3: Like what I want smaller wheels so I can have bigger sidewall.
Speaker 2: So I'd rather have eight.
Speaker 3: Teens and then I could have more sidewall to absorb the uh the impacts of the Northeast Highway system here.
Speaker 2: But it looked, it looks great, right.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: I was. I was working it out.
Speaker 3: Now, I have three car seats right, one of them is still rear facing, the other one is still ginormous, and then the baby's car seat is My wife insists on not just the car seat, but like a platform that has a third leg, so it takes up so much space. And I was hooking it up so that the two older girls could sit in the third row and I could put Freddy in the middle, and then one of the middle seats they're both captain's chairs in the middles in the middle could be folded out so that you can easily climb in and out of the of the people, you know. And I just had so much fun with this thing. And I didn't go on any long trips. I wasn't you know, going up to the Catskills or out to Fire Island. I was just tooling around Westchester. And for that I have to say the little fore banger, the turbocharge fore banger.
Speaker 2: Was more than enough.
Speaker 1: And the pricing on this is like under sixty.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, you can get it for well under well under sixty. Obviously if you get the Denali version and like check all the boxes, it's gonna climb. But I don't think, frankly, that you need that. And I started looking at this thing and saying, like to myself, why do I always want the like ninety five thousand dollars Yukon or the herd thousand dollars Mercedes or BMW equivalents when I could get a mid size and it still has I guess because of its unibody construction, so much space inside and fair. I didn't take it on a longer trip, so I probably would have thought it was underpowered on the highway. But honestly, this engine, I've had it in the past in the Colorado and some other GM vehicles. It really has a lot of pep like. It really doesn't feel too weak.
Speaker 1: So here's my question to you for something like a big family suv, which ultimately what you need is the space and the practicality. Why would you ever get something that is a luxury brand for that type of thing. Other than ego.
Speaker 3: It could be styling, right, Although none of them are very attractive. I don't think that the X seven or the Q nine that you just went and saw from Audi, or the gls I don't find them very good looking.
Speaker 2: But I also don't on.
Speaker 3: The Escalade very good looking either. Frankly, if you're if you're going based on looks alone, I much prefer a suburban or Yukon honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that that's also what I'm getting at like these honestly, in a way, these are kind of work horses, yes, and you don't buy a workhorse for it to be pretty anyway. So if you're truly just if you like, I'm kind of realizing and your reality is so different from mine. When you talk about three children's seats, it's hilarious to me to imagine.
Speaker 3: That it will smell like diapers, it's covered in fuke, and there are in every crevice there's.
Speaker 1: It would be very hard to make a real argument for why you would spend thirty grand more on something that has a luxury badge at the end of the day, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, the truth is when we when we when we just bought our latest suv, my wife was still mourning the loss of her g Wagon, which is too small for a growing family, and she refused to go to because the truth is, the Tahoe, the Yukon, the Escalade, they are ginormous. I mean, they are absolutely massive, especially for she's from Spain, so for a European woman to contemplate. And by the way, by the way, she also loved my Raptor, so it's not like she's averse to large American vehicles, but for her daily she just didn't want, you know, one of the big American truck based SUVs, and she loved her previous experience with Mercedes and the Mercedes the Mercedes had more interior space, especially in the second row, which at the time I thought was the most important of its competitors. But now I'm realizing that a lot of these other, you know, offerings, like the Acadia, actually even though they're not bigger in the exterior dimensions, they're packaged better than at least at least the GLS. I still would rather have at the end of the day a Yukon or a suburban.
Speaker 2: Yeah, frankly, but probably knocking to get that.
Speaker 3: For some reason, she liked the Armada, so maybe that would be an option. But this a Katia really really impressed her as well, So.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've switched it out on Friday for a Dodge Durango, which, you know, the build quality just isn't there for me with the Drago, but at least they have the kahonas to put a six point four liter V eight in it, and I don't understand why GM and Ford can't do the same thing with these. With these vehicles, I imagine if Ford made a Bronco that was a three row, like a bigger Bronco that was a three row and had a beat, it would be.
Speaker 1: The Bronco. Daddy, do you ever toe anything in the would you ever toe any like? Would you tow a motorcycle behind any of these or like? Care about towing capacity at all?
Speaker 3: I don't really because if I'm towing anything, it is a motorcycle, and I can tell a motorcycle.
Speaker 2: I've towed a motorcycle with my nine to eleven, so it's not. It's not an impossibility with with with cars.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit silly obviously, but you can tew a motorcycle or two with any capable vehicle. And I don't think I'm going to be able to afford the boat life if I continue producing children.
Speaker 2: Here, so like, yeah, I know nothing about I mean, I've.
Speaker 3: Been looking at sailboats lately because I want to get the kids into it. But I if I get a Hobi cat, it's also going to be difficult to tow. They're not heavy, So yeah, I don't Towing is never a concern for me. And the funny thing is, like I look at these unibody vehicles and you know that I want. I prefer a truck, a body on frame truck, because I think it's more rugged. And so I was looking at the Lexus g X five point fifty and.
Speaker 2: It is. It is a.
Speaker 3: Body on frame truck. It's based on the Tundra or like the Global land Cruiser, not the you know, the little US excuse for land cruiser.
Speaker 2: Like the designing. I like how it looks, Yeah, it looks great.
Speaker 1: It looks that cool.
Speaker 2: That thing is truly underpowered and very small, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh, really, I haven't been inside one.
Speaker 3: It's small as it's I mean, even the Lexus is probably too small for me, so I have to kind of rule that out.
Speaker 2: But otherwise it seems like a pretty great It looks so paper, it looks fantastic.
Speaker 3: G X has a bigger, more powerful motor than the land Cruiser, has the V six instead of the four.
Speaker 1: But it's also the one shown on the just on the website is eighty five to three.
Speaker 2: And that's like if you have a long wait time to get one.
Speaker 3: If you if you find a dealer who will sell you one, it's going to be months if not. At one point it was over a year waiting list. Wow, they hold their value. Look at them, look at them used, and you'll see you can buy one, uh you know, put ten thousand miles on it, and a year later sell it for the same same money.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow.
Speaker 1: And here here's a photo of one towing a boat, which we've already established you don't need to do.
Speaker 3: I don't need to, but I want the capability to do a lot of things in my vehicles that I don't necessarily do on a regular basis. The typical sort of Starbucks Dad when it comes to that. But the Lexus is a truly capable vehicle. The only problem with that I think in you know, I'm not going to buy one, but theoretically I would always be bummed out that they didn't put a more exciting motor in it, you know, I mean it's going to turbo charged V six even the g Wagon, though the base model has moved to a six cylinder.
Speaker 2: I think it's an inline six For the Mercedes.
Speaker 3: It's no longer the turbocharge four la er V eight that it was until I think twenty twenty one. So if I were going to buy one of those again, I would definitely buy one used.
Speaker 2: And not new.
Speaker 1: Does all of this talk mean that you are truly considering swapping out the GLS?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely, and it's it's pretty much decided that we're either going to trade it for My wife wants to get back into a Volvo XC ninety, as much as I tell her that, clearly the Chinese are spying on her if she buys one of those.
Speaker 1: You know, someone on our pursuit's team had a terrible time at their dealership with some of the connectivity in their Vulbo that they just got, I thinks.
Speaker 3: To Volvo buyers, none of that matters. A Volvo bayer, like my wife, she loves the way it looks, she loved she had a fantastic ownership experience with hers. We leased a XC ninety T eight for two years and she simply adored it. And she is a diehard. And by the way, people, my mother bought her first Volvo in like nineteen eighty four, a baby blue forty gl and has since then never bought another car. That's wow, two years of I mean, she's bought many other Volvos, but she's never bought another brand, is what I mean. So she buys Volvo after Volvo. After Volvo went from two forty to the seven forty, there was an eight fifty in there at some point, and then V seventy, XC seventy.
Speaker 2: Now she's on the XC sixty. I think, so like the loyalty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these buyers, you can say what you want about Jillie ownership or about software experience. The interior looks kind of dated, but they always say, no, that's the Scandinavian style and there's nothing you can there's nothing that.
Speaker 2: Can break them from that.
Speaker 3: So I mean that, yeah, I have a feeling that's where we'll end up, unless unless I get my Armada in there, or.
Speaker 2: Unless Mary Bara and Mark Royce and.
Speaker 3: Jacqueline McQuaid put uh Stalking V eight in the Akkada, Like imagine if they put the new Corvette.
Speaker 2: Motor in that.
Speaker 3: The Akkad, honestly is is a very good vehicle the way it's set up and with.
Speaker 2: With that engine.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't wait to hear and see what you decide. Did you get that it hasn't been two years in the gls ish yep? Yeah, all right, So onto the.
Speaker 2: Next, on onto the next.
Speaker 3: With that, I think it's a good jumping off point to get into some of our view you were listener emails, because one of them from a guy called Franco is kind of on this topic to some extent.
Speaker 2: Well, he's very nice about how much he loves our podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: He says, I have two young kids, so the car needs to handle daily family duties, but I still want something that makes my commute enjoyable. I've always loved performance cars, and I'm seriously considered and joining the fast Wagon club. And so he lists his contenders, which are pretty much the only things you can buy there the Audi RS six Avant, which we both love. I mean, yes, I think it's the clear king of that space, and then the BMW M five Touring, which we both have just driven as well, and yes it's a little actually bigger. I'm not sure it looks bigger, but yes. Then I was trying to think of what other options you have in that space, and there really isn't much. I mean, Mercedes used to make the E sixty three as a wagon. Here the AMG E sixty three, and that had the killer V eight that we had in our G wagon in that is basically the basis for what the AMGGT sixty three has. But they now only have the E fifty three, which I think has the in line six. And then Porsha had the amazing Panamera wagon or you know, into the Panamera the wagon. I think it was the choice, but now they're not going to sell that. So the only the competitors you can buy new to the Audi R six is the BMW M five.
Speaker 2: Those are the only two in the class.
Speaker 1: Really, right, I mean I guess we don't. We can talk about a Subaru outback type thing, or we could talk about.
Speaker 2: A performance car.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just I'm just saying or I think Volvo still makes that cross country like a V sixty cross country type of thing. I'm just saying those for the record, there are options. But yes, Franco, we hear you like you, you love performance cars and you want to join the fast wagon club. It seems like really where we're leaning is the AUDI. I mean that is sort of like the undisputed.
Speaker 3: I would say, I can't think of anything I would choose over it if you're buying a new car. Now, that said, I don't think he should dismiss looking at older Panama wagons, you know, I think twenty one, twenty two, twenty three, And the same is true with older AMG E sixty three wagons now, people like Dug DeMuro swears.
Speaker 2: By those things, and.
Speaker 3: I know still find low mileage versions and probably save yourself a little money in the in the process.
Speaker 1: Totally agree. And I'm looking at his priorities here. He says, genuine family cargo space, engaging in fun to drive, strong winter capability because he's in Canada, and good ride quality and durability. Yeah, I mean, Franco, you already know, you already know you don't need us the answer. Yeah, but it's really fun to think about because we always this is sort of like along with the stick shift conversation that we always have we know, oh what we would like to buy. I would love it if there were no more minivans ever, and instead you were forced to buy a wagon. I don't understand why we can't federalize this, you know, come on, it's for the good of everybody.
Speaker 3: I'm a huge proponent of wagon over SUV, you know. And actually I love the Audi wagons. I recently went down the rabbit hole looking at the V ten S six is that they made back in the day. I think they phased those out in twenty twenty or twenty twenty one, and you couldn't get in the US like the best versions, so you would have to import them. But they were very temperamental, and I think cost of ownership would be a little bit silly. So yeah, I think I think the RS six because I've gone through this. I've gone through this exercise countless times on my laptop, and to me, the RS six ends up the winner every time. I mean, it's pricey and they don't depreciate a lot yet, so even if you're looking at one from like twenty twenty twenty twenty one, there's still gonna be like ninety five thousand dollars and probably not cheap to maintain either.
Speaker 2: But they're just such amazing vehicles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone I know who has one loves them and is very smug about it in the best way. Like they got they got the good thing, and they love it. And yeah, So.
Speaker 3: I had one for a week as a test car, and I got pulled over three times, said, and two of those three times the police officer basically just wanted to car.
Speaker 1: I remember that. I remember that you're going through a gas station.
Speaker 2: You cut out.
Speaker 3: That was the time when the officer wasn't wasn't happy I cut through a parking lot to avoid he was. He was alleging that I was simply trying to avoid a red light.
Speaker 1: No, you changed your mind halfway through, exactly.
Speaker 3: There was a bagel shop in the parking lot, and I thought should we get a bagel? And then my wife said, and so we cruised and and cruised out. Happen to avoid a red light in the process.
Speaker 1: It happens to all of us. Did you see this email from Thomas Matt who from the Buffalo area because he's also he was also looking for a mid size suv. But the caveat here is it needs to fit inside his nineteen sixty nine era garage, which half the ones that you've named prior to this I don't even think would fit in that garage.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's it's tough.
Speaker 1: I mean the Porscha he Thomas lists Portia gts that might be okay.
Speaker 3: So we've gotten a few messages from Thomas's or Tom's. Yes, is this the one who said he might consider the Lamborghini Urus okay?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And he has an Irish wolfhound, which personally so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so cool.
Speaker 3: I've actually been looking like my Instagram algorithm has been showing me wolfhounds and deer hounds lately.
Speaker 1: Is that because you're like obsessed with pocket knives and somehow they go together?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just love those dogs, And when you like a few of those videos or spend the time to watch them, they just keep sending him to you.
Speaker 2: And I'm That's what I'm there for, so uh, let me.
Speaker 1: Know when you get one of those.
Speaker 3: A smaller suv, I think, Yeah, the Kayenne to me We've had this discussion before because we've talked to Thomas or about thomas situation in the past. To me, the Kayen is just the benchmark in that category, so that price.
Speaker 1: Yes, I will never not say the the Ears is the best of all, but yeah, but it's.
Speaker 2: Just is the Earth not just a dulled up Cayenne.
Speaker 1: No, it's way more powerful, it's way more tuned.
Speaker 2: It's kind of the same.
Speaker 1: Way cooler, it's way more interesting.
Speaker 3: I might rather have an Audi Q eight, Like I love the Audi Q eight so much, and I have since it came out. I've been obsessed with that shape since I first saw it there, and there's still kind of there's still kind of rare, like for some reason, the URIs, at least in this the New York Woods has become ubiquitous like it is everywhere, and the Cayenne already was like the Volkswagen Bug of SUVs. So I feel like, obviously an X five is not bucking the trend, but a Q eight is something that you don't see as often. And by the way, they all have the Cayenne, the Urus, the Q eight, they all have the same basic motor that they all have.
Speaker 2: The four liter V eight.
Speaker 3: Right, So yeah, I guess that would be my choice of the bunch.
Speaker 2: I think, I guess. I guess the Kyen though, it's like, you know, you can't go wrong.
Speaker 3: It's going to probably have fewer failures, lower bills in terms of you have less time in the shop. It's just that everybody on your block has.
Speaker 2: One, all right.
Speaker 1: And here's here's another thing that I think about a lot. Don't you think that every car you have should make you smile?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay? And that applies even to work vehicles like an SUV. Like you could say, well, it's just an suv. It doesn't need to like bring me joy. It's just a thing. But I think you could find an SUV that does make you smile and bring you joy. You don't have to settle for just okay.
Speaker 2: I don't think Kayen is settling for just okay.
Speaker 1: I think it out might.
Speaker 2: Be did no the Audi.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love the inta area of the Audi two and the sound. Did you get the SQ eight? Wow, that's a that's a really well executed vehicle. I would just be afraid of the bills. I wonder if he would consider the Lexus g X five point fifty because the shape is going to make you smile.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's an idea, and there's yeah, there's an idea. Did you see this email from Gavin who's sixteen.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: In fact, if you recall, I'm pretty sure I was talking with uh with the We Are Curated guy to Marion to Marian about Gavin because to Marion also kind of, I mean he started out in a similar business like detailing and his mental business and doing that kind of thing as this kid Gavin. Now, Gavin wants to start eventually his own supercar company, right. I support it, and he wants to bring it back to analog, which reminds me of the email from Bob that we were talking about at the top of the show. We're actually starting to see that happen.
Speaker 2: More and more. The Hennessy Blackbird.
Speaker 3: Has come out as John Hennessy's laid at supercar and rather than being like some thousand plus horse power like zero to sixty and two seconds or less top speed of two hundred and twenty like he's made it, the Hennessy Blackbird has the six point two liters V eight. It's obviously the Chevy small block, but it's been reworked by like an indie car mechanic to make eight hundred and fifty horse power naturally aspirated. And he's put in a gated shifter. So he Hennessy analog back. Yeah, and Gavin is thinking along the same lines. And if I'm not mistaken, this Gavin kid is in the same area. I think he's in the southwest. Yes, southern Utah, he says. So he's not next door to John Hennessy, but he is.
Speaker 1: He's close knee energetically their next Maybe.
Speaker 2: Those two guys should get we should connect.
Speaker 1: Gavin and and internship.
Speaker 2: Well, that that's.
Speaker 3: The kind of mentorship that a sixteen year old kid in the detailing business needs. Like John to Mary, John Hennessy, talk to a couple of these guys, and maybe you end up with a supercar company.
Speaker 2: Maybe you end up with your dreams fulfilled.
Speaker 1: Right now, back to this Hennessy Blackbird for a second. I love I love how Bob signed his name chronically yours. I'm gonna start using that. That's great. But Matt, is this truly your dream car? Number two? As Bob is asking or suggesting, is this a dream car for you?
Speaker 3: Or no?
Speaker 2: I don't know enough about it.
Speaker 3: I only know, you know, I've heard people talk about and this is a car and driver story that Bob sent us, so obviously I read every word.
Speaker 2: But I don't know about the shape.
Speaker 3: And if we're already going as far as I mean, it's gorgeous, you know, but it's it's a crazy wrong.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's aggressive.
Speaker 3: So if I'm going to go this aggressive, and if we're talking about dream cars, I might end up with PEGANI rather than the Blackbird, or I may I may end up with some other kind of supercar that I'd never even heard of that goes back to analog, because I think this is the Hennessy is a two and a half million dollar ask right, Pegani's gonna be in the same ballpark, like you have so much money that you can afford anything. And I think we're going to increasingly see supercar makers go back to a really analog experience, not just a manual transmission, but a handbreak and maybe that handbrake will be on the left where Asked and Martin used to put it, and.
Speaker 2: They're gonna get, you know, with the handbrake. I love the handbrake.
Speaker 3: And and also no screens Like I went to bed last night thinking about our conversation with the guys at Singer. Yeah, without revealing too much, they were talking about the importance of gauges, right, and I totally agree my.
Speaker 2: Nine to nine two you have also a nine nine to two nine to eleven.
Speaker 3: It has analog gauges in the of the five in the cluster for our analog and one is digital. And I thought that was such a brilliant solution with giving you the kind of digital access to a digital information screen that you need without making it two in your face. And if only you know, the center sort of navigation screen would have swiveled away, that would be perfect. And Bentley now does you'll talk to the CEO of Bentley at at at tebl Mi.
Speaker 1: Sure, Frank Stefan Wallacer, Yes.
Speaker 3: I will formerly Yeah, they have uh I think Adrian Hallmark brought this in, but they have a swiveling screen that disappears like I think the higher end, not just supercar hypercar makers, but just luxury car makers are going to bring back buttons and knobs and phase out giant screens, and probably at some point, when they figure out a way to do it, bring back manual and handbrake offerings.
Speaker 1: I'll look at Ferrari. They're you know, they're sort of moving in that direction.
Speaker 3: I mean real manual transmissions, though not just DCTs.
Speaker 2: With although you know, maybe that's the right solution. Maybe Ferrari's chosen the right solutions.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, Do you remember it? I think Bulbo and JAG and maybe SOP, maybe not SAB. But do you remember the c belts that were connected to the frames of the doors that would move as you close the door?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did you like that? Or do? I think? I had an Accura legend at one point that had that. I mean that was the height of modernity at the time.
Speaker 2: I think it was fun.
Speaker 3: There were so many bad solutions too. It always got too far behind you that it had to be like Mercedes had this thing that would pull it forward.
Speaker 2: And hand it to you.
Speaker 1: I remember that, remember too.
Speaker 3: I think moving along the doorframe was probably the best of those bad solutions.
Speaker 1: But I guess my point bringing it up is like not all of the most advanced technology actually answers a question we need answered. Yeah, And I think those seat belts are the perfect example, because I remember the time I thought they were like so cool and luxury, but actually they always got in the way. Half the time, they never worked, and I would always just end up unclipping it because it just was annoying. And that's a perfect example of sometimes technology is answering a question that no one needs answered and it's actually not necessary. The analog thing is the better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, and I think a lot of these things.
Speaker 3: We got an email from a guy called Tony who says love listening to Show every Friday.
Speaker 2: He agrees regarding electric manual shifting.
Speaker 3: Ferrari like it seems unnecessary even if it works well, and it's similar to trying to make electric cars sound like internal combustion engine vehicles, he says, when I do finally get an electric car, and I love that he's I kept thinking about this ever since I read this email, when I do finally get an electric car, like he knows it's going to happen, It's inevitable at some point that he's going to He says, I wanted to either silent or sound like George Jetson's spaceship, and I totally I totally understand where he's coming from. Like, I think at some point we were talking about this before when when the car, when the automobile was first invented, they didn't make it smell like horse poop to remind you of your previous.
Speaker 2: Ride, you know. I think eventually, like.
Speaker 3: Why Mercedes desperately trying to get a V eight sound out of an EV or Ferrari, you know, trying to mimic the feel of a manual transmission on a DCT gearbox is gonna seem silly eventually, Like if you want a manual transmission, get a manual transmission.
Speaker 2: If you want to sound like a V eight, why don't you just put a V eight in it?
Speaker 3: You know. Otherwise, let's celebrate the positives that evs have to offer, Like silent operation is a pretty cool thing in a lot of settings.
Speaker 1: Sure, instant torque, seamless acceleration. You know, you don't have to go to a gas station, which I don't love doing. I know a lot of people is, especially women, hate going to the gas station. So yeah, there are lots of benefits. I and I think too, like I was talking with Tom Keen on TV last week, and like he said, do people want to buy evs? And I said, well, you know, the sales are saying no. But here's the real underlying factor. People will adopt new technology when the new technology is better and easier and makes more sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah right.
Speaker 1: For instance, no, how many of us have a cell phone, an iPhone, a smartphone, everybody. There was no problem getting people to adopt using an iPhone, even when they're very expensive, and there were no you know, incentives to buy a cell phone. People just phonied up and bought it because it was so much better, it was so easy to use, it made life better. And I I'm not against evs at all. I'm just against bad cars who are over problems well instance, and I think the American consumer actually is probably kind of the same.
Speaker 3: I mean, when we were talking with Kevin Tynan, formerly of Bloomberg now the Presidio Group, I listed off a handful of evs that I absolutely love, and he said, yeah, but those are all one hundred thousand dollars plus cars. And I had never really thought about that, but it's true, Like I would like a number of EV's like a g Wagon the y I love that, absolutely love it, and think of any drawbacks to that thing, Like I would have no problem spending twenty five hundred dollars on a charger for my garage, and I'd take it in every night when I got home, and I would need to worry about range or going to the gas station.
Speaker 2: But of course it's, you know, outlandishly expensive.
Speaker 3: A buddy of mine who didn't want to spend too much just got a Sierra EV truck. Okay, that actually is a figure truck when you get the Dnali version. But you know he's coming out of a Cayenne and he loves it. It's a different experience. Obviously, it's huge, but it's got monster torque and it feels like a luxury vehicle on the inside. So I'm sure that, like Tony, I eventually will get an EV as well. I actually still have my reservation in for the Scout Traveler if that thing ever happens.
Speaker 2: Like cool, I really want one, but.
Speaker 1: We need to try a slate. Have you driven a slate yet?
Speaker 2: I haven't driven one. I've been offered the experience. I would like to try it.
Speaker 1: We should just a reference.
Speaker 2: He scouts about that thing.
Speaker 3: It was supposed to be twenty and then they were like mid twenties, and now they're like, it's only thirty and so the price is creeping up.
Speaker 2: Fine, I guess inflation does that.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how that is.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if I'd be able to put it together the way I want.
Speaker 3: You know, I get that the scout I'm pumped about, like if they actually put it out, and I'd rather have the full be EV version than.
Speaker 2: The silly.
Speaker 3: Range extending four cylinder or whatever, like, I don't need that. I'll be pumped if that thing comes out and is affordable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. And Tony the second part of his question about like, would you recommend a true all analog car?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Are you saying would we recommend a true all analog car in general? Yes? Or are you saying, would you please recommend to me a specific true analog car that I should buy?
Speaker 3: I think? He says, what would you and Hannah each recommend to someone if they wanted to buy a used analog sports car? And I my knee jerk reaction was obviously a nine ninety seven. But the truth is there are so many options.
Speaker 1: Depends on your budget, depends on what you want to use it for, depends on where you live. Honestly, what's the weather like, what are the roads, like do you have children, do you have a dog? Do you want to drive it every day to the office or do you want to just drive it on the weekend. It's where do you want to keep it? Do you want to keep it in a garage or like just out back. There's so many factors.
Speaker 3: But by the way, that's my happy place is like having a chunk of money dedicated to you know, making that kind of purchase and then doing that search because you can cast wide wide web. I mean you can go from Miata to nine to eleven and everything in between. There are cars from the seventies, eighties, nineties, twenty tens. I mean there are are even still fairly analog sports cars available. They're few and far between these days, and I'm not fans of all of them. Now that are affordable options, you can still buy like a subrew w RX or b r Z, you know, and have a stick shift and uh, you know, have a have a naturally aspirated.
Speaker 2: Motor, and there they're just a lot of great choices that you can make.
Speaker 1: So well, I'd be remiss if I didn't say, you know, obviously, the whole span of the Corvette history, every every generation, every series you know up till recently, and honestly, you know me, I love an old Rolls Royce talk about completely analog. Those things are completely analog. But you know, maybe maybe not for everyone, but yeah, I really you.
Speaker 3: Know what, we have to get Mark Royce back on the show from General Motors because I've been thinking lately, everyone's revealing pictures of i mean fake you know, mock mockups of what a Corvette C nine would look like the next generation.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen those. Are they terrible? Are they good?
Speaker 2: Some of them are gorgeous.
Speaker 3: I mean basically they if you think of a C eight and then it's refined to be a little bit smoother.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I like it. I like what I see.
Speaker 2: At least I love it.
Speaker 3: And now we're starting to see companies come out with potential solutions for a manual swap to the C eight, and you have the Ferrari idea of basically masking a DCT with a digitally UH with a manual sort of mimicking transmission. Like I think there's so many options for Corvette to bring back a manual transmission, which don't forget they had for every single generation from nineteen fifty whatever until now.
Speaker 1: So I actually think seeing some of these C nine renderings, Corvette's ready to pop. They're ready, there's there's there's room and opportunity for a real comeback here. Not that it needs to come back, but I always think Corvette is always underrated and under respected.
Speaker 3: So I have to think it's less now with the C eight because the residual they don't they don't lose so much value anymore, not just the C eight, but the C seven as well. You look at a C seven Z six and it's still pretty pricey, good good if I look for I'm always on the hunt for an E Ray Ray because I'm waiting for the used prices to fall when everybody wants to buy a Grand Sport X instead, you know, bigger, bigger gas motors coming out, or redesigned interior that a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people like better.
Speaker 3: I'm happy taking last year's E Ray. Yeah, lest over amazing car, but they just don't get cheaper. They don't get any cheaper.
Speaker 1: That does it. For this week's show, remember to follow and subscribe to Hot Pursuit on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you listen. You can also send us your comments, Email us at Hot Pursuit at bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Dot net, and check out Hannah's columns and stories on bloomberg dot com and on the Bloomberg Business app. Go there for car reviews, events and stories that you won't find anywhere else. Find it all at bloomberg dot com, slash Pursuits, slash Autos. I'm Matt Miller with Freddy
Speaker 1: Freddy's our guest host, I'm Hannah Elliott, will be back in your podcast feed again next week