Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we never use air quotes about our championship drought.
Speaker 2: I'm Greg Rosenthal here.
Speaker 1: In the Chris Westling podcast studio, so excited on Tuesday as usual to be joined by my friends Jordan Rodrigue of the Athletic and Colleen Wolf of the NFC champion Oh Ghiladelphia Eagle.
Speaker 3: What is up?
Speaker 4: I've been listening to Too Short for like I don't know, seventy two straight hours.
Speaker 2: It is really exciting.
Speaker 1: And it's not just you two guys. This week we have a special guest from across Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Let's welcome her in as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, hey, it's Mina Chimes from the Mina Chimes Show Worthy featuring Lenny ESPN, NFL Live, all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: Welcome Mina.
Speaker 5: Is this the most women ever?
Speaker 2: Greg?
Speaker 6: Are you a heroic ally today? Are you making history?
Speaker 2: I'm loving it.
Speaker 1: I always feel a little more comfortable, you know, with female energy around me. I have been accused of maybe not you know, the most masculine guy, but no, we're just we're just talking ball here. That's what we're doing today. And we're celebrating Colleen because she is gonna be celebrating me. Amazing. She is gonna be on the field at Super Bowl fifty nine. If you are lucky enough to be in the stadium. I don't know if any of our listeners are going to be there, reach out to us, let us know. You'll be seeing Colleen on the big screen super Dome kind of going in and out, which I think is like the coolest gig ever. And the fact you're doing it with your team playing.
Speaker 7: Is really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Joe Thomas and Ronde Barber, so it's like a fun group too. And it's just it's nice that the last time I worked a Super Bowl with the Eagles were in was in Minnesota.
Speaker 7: I didn't work in Arizona.
Speaker 4: So it's nice that, like, I feel like it's a it's a good location that's not freezing cold.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Minnesota, I know, I guess.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you were.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, it was literally so there was the kind of cold where you walk outside and you feel like you're being punched in the face the second you like open a door.
Speaker 5: And walk outside. It was insane.
Speaker 6: But that was one of my favorite Super Bowls to ever, honestly, because I was in the end zone. Yeah, I was covering as a writer and I was in the end zone where the Philly Special happened, and it was like one of those football memories I'll never like, Yeah, tell me about it, but I will never forget seeing leak out and then just and you know, you're not supposed to cheer in the press box, and I mean it's not let's be real. I was cheering us the Patriots every super Bowl possible, but the press box went nuts just because it was such an insane, insane play. Yeah, it was just such a cool moment and we're literally right there.
Speaker 7: Oh I love that.
Speaker 1: And the guy who ended that game for the Eagles, Brandon Graham, might be playing.
Speaker 2: He might be coming back.
Speaker 7: How about that?
Speaker 8: I really hope So any inside intel I gave us some good Brandon.
Speaker 4: No, but as soon as I find out, I will let you know, I will let everyone know.
Speaker 1: Well, we have we have a lot of work to do, not just today, but before we leave for New Orleans, we've got a bunch of NFL daily shows. Jordan and I are going to talk some all pros, but we also have a live show that Jordan and I will be involved with, which Mina Kimes is hosting Monday, February third at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Tickets are available now.
Speaker 1: You can go to minapodlive dot com and every dollar of the ticket that you spend will be spent to support the wildlife disaster relief efforts of the California Red Cross. I'm really excited about this Monday night. Mina has like the anxiety of putting together this show quite yet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's been a bit of a scramble, but we've already sold a lot of tickets.
Speaker 5: And by the way, it's I it's dollars.
Speaker 2: This is a lot.
Speaker 6: But not only does all that go to wildfi relief, Omaha Productions is matching it. So you're basically donating one hundred dollars to wildfire victims here in Los Angeles. And you get limited edition merch showed you guys the hats, You get snacks and this is this is not. The graphic has been updated to reflect this. There's another guest on top of you two and Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwall the Eagles fans is calling knows all too well. Kobe Turner of the rams so Ms Ramily in Los Angeles Jordan. You know him, You've interviewed him, you spent a lot of time with him. How excited should people be to see Kobe Turner?
Speaker 5: He is just a.
Speaker 8: Wonderful person first and foremost, and like also, by the way, he was Goo on Mass Singer this year, so people who are fans of that show should come out and meet Goo from the Mass Singer. Kobe Turner is an awesome dude, and it's no surprise to me that he was excited and one of the first people that came to mind in terms of talking about this and helping and wanting to get in the community. Great dude happens to be a pretty badass nose tackle as well, by.
Speaker 6: Thee Oh, by the way, yeah, let all rookies and sacks last.
Speaker 8: By the way, I was eighteen sacks in two seasons. Was a nose tackle, by the way, just just throwing that out there.
Speaker 7: I'm so sad that I'm missing this. By the way, Oh yeah, he tiktoks there. You're going up against Opening Night.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well that's an over rate, but I.
Speaker 7: Will still donate.
Speaker 5: Competition makes this better.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: I remember when you first read you reached out to me at first, and you were like, hey, you guys did a show once you were on the NFL podcast right in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, it was this great place. It was the Bourbon Room.
Speaker 1: I was like, it wasn't too big though, probably like four hundred people or something. And Mina's like, Oh no, that's that's big. That's great. And then I start asking me, Okay, so where is this show going to be and she's like, oh, well, either I think the will Turn or the Belasco. There these are big ass spears. We gotta fill this place up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we gotta please. Yeah, please buy tickets by for all your friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell you.
Speaker 8: I have to tell you too, Mina. So I was like very excited about this. Obviously, this NFL Daily and Mina Chimes pod featuring Lenny Crossover is like really, I did take a while to respond when you sent us the original flyer showing that it was indeed at the Blasco, because I had to take several nervous walks around the block.
Speaker 7: Oh I guess, I hope most.
Speaker 8: I was like at the wear now, oh my god.
Speaker 1: It's one of the great things about Los Angeles, though. I really love La and we've all been really affected by this wildlife. I mean the wildfires that went on and have close friends or family. Almost everyone that I know in La like has people close to them affected. And I think it's because, you know, we feel really connected to this city now. It took me like a few years. I've been here for twelve years now and I love love it. And one of the things I love about is the great downtown theaters or really the theaters all over the place. There's such cool diversity of the different theaters. Each one has like their own little personality. Blasco is very cool. It was one that was like dormant for years and then they brought it back like fifteen years ago. So it's gonna be really fun. Hope everyone listening that's in La, come out. We don't ask for much NFL daily, Come come support me in the times and in all of us.
Speaker 2: It'll be really fun. All Right, we are going to talk football today.
Speaker 1: We have not really gone over all the crazy amount of head coaching hires that have happened since. Like our last full show, I did like an emergency topper on everything that was going on with Liam Cohen because It's one of my favorite stories that's happened in the years, just.
Speaker 2: The drama that led up to that.
Speaker 1: But we haven't talked about the Raiders hiring Pete Carroll, we haven't talked about the Cowboys hiring Brian Schottenheimer. And I'm going to throw in the Jets and Liam Cohen because all four of those coaches had press conferences on Monday, and we're just gonna talk about our impressions.
Speaker 2: No major like.
Speaker 1: Structure here other than I will order it in terms of vibes I watched. I'm really into opening press conferences. This is something I've I've done since forever. I remember the Pete Carroll Seahawks one is maybe the best opening press conference of all time by any head coach. I remember at the end of that. I was working at Pro Football Talk at the time. I was like, I'm in, I want to join the Seahawks. This is gonna work. And he had it all. And so I'm gonna rank these four press conferences in terms of vibes. We'll go in that order, and it has to start with Pete Carroll and your boy John Spytech, who was a guest on the Playmakers podcast, so you are a kingmaker the player.
Speaker 5: Now we know how I got that job.
Speaker 1: Couldn't hurt it, couldn't hurt good pub He was great on the show.
Speaker 2: I'll start with you, Mina.
Speaker 1: Pete Carroll, less about the press conference for now and maybe more just do you think this can work?
Speaker 2: And is it a good hire here for the Raiders?
Speaker 6: I think it definitely can because Pete Carroll, unlike a lot of first time head coaches or even retreads, there's no mystery as to whether or not he has the leadership, the culture, the CEO stuff down, the players love and we know all of that. I always people ask me about a first time head coach. I always say, well, first of all, I don't know if the guy's going to be a good leader, right Like we didn't know that about Sean McVay when he was thirty two or whatever. We know that about Pete Carroll, so that mystery is taken out. We also know that he's been very good with the young quarterback, which I think we all think the Raiders are probably gonna go in that direction at some point soon, if not this season. He is a brilliant defensive coach. He's one of the best secondary coaches of entire generation, maybe all time. Those are things that the Raiders obviously need. I think if I have any hesitation, and I'm curious to hear what you guys think it is if you do a young quarterback, I don't know how long he's going to coach. I know they signed him to a three year deal, but he is thirty seventy three years old, right, so there's a bit of a timeline issue, and I think that would be my other question is like, is he going to be patient about a rebuild, like putting the pieces in place, because he said we're going to compete right away.
Speaker 5: That's his nature.
Speaker 6: I don't feel that way about the Las Vegas Raiders, and I suspect you guys feel the same.
Speaker 8: I don't feel like, as a total roster that they are quite ready.
Speaker 2: Yet.
Speaker 5: You can obviously be ready.
Speaker 8: We've seen this a couple years in a row, one with the John Spytech led Bucks and also with these RAMS teams that have kind of crushed the draft the last couple of years, that you can get way more ready in a hurry if you do knock the draft out of the park. A lot of people don't talk about with spy Tech, especially is you know, when they were overhauling and then fitting a roster around Tom Brady specifically, this was, Okay, what else do we need to get in the draft and who do we need to still add in order to continue to like build this roster around that quarterback. So I did believe when Pete Carroll said that, I do think he believes that based on potentially what their plan could be in that sense, I don't necessarily rule out taking a young quarterback. I think the Raiders could possibly be one of these teams that's on the phone asking about a Matthew Stafford asking about Aaron Rodgers, because John Spytech has made that phone call before. That's how we got Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: It's funny because you're right me and I. He talked about patients. But another takeaway I had was when he kind of echoed what you're saying that maybe he is on a timeline. Let's actually listen to Pete Carroll talking about him wanting to be good right away.
Speaker 9: You all wondering about timelines and all that. It took us a few years to get to the very top of the last couple programs I was with we're starting right now, going for it immediately. We're not. We don't have some time and we got to make it five or six years down the road. That's not what we're thinking. We're going to start right now to go after it and build his team as quickly as we can.
Speaker 1: First of all, shout out to Pete for being the only head coach to not wear a suit.
Speaker 2: He just went quarters. Zip. I do have a similar this Pa.
Speaker 7: I like it.
Speaker 2: Pete Carroll. I'm we're around the same age at this point. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like when I was in Seattle for training camp, I guess it was the last year that Pete Carroll was in Seattle, So what he was either seventy one or seventy two, depending on what his birthday is. I could not believe, could not believe he was that old because he does not come off that way at all. And I do really feel like your chronological age isn't really always in sync with how old you are and how old you project, and just in general, the speed at which he was chewing his gum and walking was incredible, Like, I bet he could beat me.
Speaker 7: In a race.
Speaker 4: He is fit, he's in shape, he's fun, his players love him. At the press conference, when Marshawn Lynch yelled out, can we hear that?
Speaker 9: I'm so proud to be part of that and recognizing that we get to represent our following and here in Las Vegas to do it in this setting right here where people can't wait to come see us, They can't wait to see what we're all about. Wherever our fans come from, we do want to fill our stadium up with our guys. I know that we have a good draw for people. As a matter of time.
Speaker 2: There you go, there, you go.
Speaker 9: What I'm talking about Mark a little bit.
Speaker 7: He's whip smart, He's got his humor still.
Speaker 4: I mean Marshawn Lynch just being there and doing that. You can see the bond that he had with his players and the effect that he had on his players and they still have his back and they're still showing up.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. And the vibes that he had with.
Speaker 1: The vibes he had with Spy Tech immediately, who they admitted they didn't know each other really coming into this process, and they're like pizza like cutting him off and making.
Speaker 2: Jokes and they're going back and forth and they're.
Speaker 1: Having I love that good time. It all makes that part is all great. I have to say, after having the experience from twelve thirteen years ago or whenever he took the Seahawks up, I was thinking, like, well, there's still a little even though he has a lot of energy. You're right, he's younger than he seems. He doesn't have as much energy as he did when he took that Seahawks job and when he was trying to prove to the world kind of he could be an NFL coach and he has everything to prove.
Speaker 2: This is a different stage.
Speaker 7: He was like twenty years oldest.
Speaker 1: Right, It's very different, but it was it was turned down just a little bit. As as a Seahawks fan, mina kind of what where does this take you emotionally?
Speaker 2: And what do you think do you think you can crank it up again?
Speaker 1: And now you've got Marsharton Lyne, Like as a Raiders fan, they're all with this got to turn into Raiders.
Speaker 6: Is there anyone you would want vouching for you more than Marshall Lynch first of all? Like in who if you could pick any human being to like make say I like I f with him, it would be him.
Speaker 2: Peter.
Speaker 5: I mean, like he's ultimate vibes.
Speaker 6: It's not surprising that he ultimately, like immediately had chemistry with Johnson. The man could have chemistry with like a rock. In fact, I don't know if I've ever told this story. I remember a long time ago I did a story on was Santonio Brown. I can't remember who I was talking. No, I was talking abou Patrick Peterson. That's it, Patrick Peterson. I was in Florida and I was talking to his mom and she was talking about like his recruitment and like getting through you know, like being like a top draft pick, and just unprompted, she was like, oh that Pete Carroll.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh man.
Speaker 5: With a legend a working moms. That sounds bad at the context, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: He would go, he would go into that living room and.
Speaker 5: You would give him the world.
Speaker 6: And he is just an unbelievably charismatic person. But as far as like yet, like what kind of at the end of the seattle, you know a lot of the reporting this isn't me talking out. It was that the message got a little bit stale with some of the older players, and there was like a turnover and it felt like he kind of it just kind of felt like the natural life cycle.
Speaker 7: Of a team.
Speaker 5: So I think, just like a new group.
Speaker 6: Of players, young quarterback, I think it'll work out well.
Speaker 5: I really do. I think this was a good hire.
Speaker 1: I think, especially for this Raiders team where they are now as an organization and the coaches that they've run through, this is a great hire.
Speaker 2: In terms of it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it'll be great for Pete Carroll, like we'll see. I think he'll do a good job, but it's a great hire for them. We don't know about the coordinator positions on either side of the ball. It's like bo heart Agree has been thrown out for offense. Patrick Graham might stay there. He's also interviewing with the Jaguars and Liam Cohen.
Speaker 2: But just the vibes. I like having the rust.
Speaker 8: I will say one thing something about the Raiders that's been a problem over the last couple of years is how incongruous the front office and the head coach seem to have been. And then you're sort of pairing people together. I like that they went and did this at the same time. And you know, I know John Spytech from our interview, but also from having a lot of conversations about football with him and like that dude knows ball and he builds through the trenches.
Speaker 5: That's what he likes to do.
Speaker 8: And I think Raiders fans can appreciate that hearing that first and foremost because they have a couple of key pivotal guys, including Max Crosby, who they're going to want to keep happy over there. But also I think Pete Carroll is going to really like hearing that about John spy Tech's ideas and his methodology over the years and first of all, determining what personality and what ethos your team actually has, and then supplementing or pruning where you need to. That's been the trademark element of those Bucks teams, between Tom Brady and Baker Mayfield and really continuing to stay in contention.
Speaker 1: Spy Tech mentioned Brady and Baker specifically saying, yeah, we want to build through the draft, but we also will have our eyes open to guys who could come in and help us right away. And they were talking about the quarterback position and that did send alarm bells to me of like are they the Stafford team. The just the more that you see the reporting that's out there, and it's more, it's not even reporting, it's less Sneed and Sean McVay not specifically committing to him coming back like that, that's all I need. If less Sneed is not committing to Matthew Stafford being back right around the same week when they were meeting up in Cabo four years ago or whenever.
Speaker 5: It was, it's this week.
Speaker 2: It was this week.
Speaker 1: Then, when you think about the supply and demand that is out there, like Stafford would get them a decent pick, I think they He would absolutely have a market. He would be the bell of the ball and the Raiders would be an interesting spot.
Speaker 4: All right. I just want to say that in terms of if you were doing power rankings of head coaches, the AFC West is absolutely stacked with personalities.
Speaker 7: Now the fact that you love it so much.
Speaker 4: Meet Carol, Jim Harvell, Sean Payton, I mean, it's so so so good.
Speaker 7: I'm man, I don't know if seen to read.
Speaker 5: I remember, what's your deal?
Speaker 2: You guys?
Speaker 6: Do you think like people under the age of twenty five are aware?
Speaker 2: No, give him the context, give him the context.
Speaker 6: I mean the context is Jim Harbon, Pete Carroll, freaking hated each other's guts going back to college, and then it translated into the NFL and for really the early Russell Wilson years for like four and then especially when Colin Kaepernick was the quarterback at the Niners.
Speaker 5: The Niners and the Seahawks hated each other.
Speaker 6: And it wasn't just like history, and it wasn't just the fans. I've talked to the players. They hated each other's guts, and the coaches hated each other's guts. And there was this when was what's your deal?
Speaker 5: What year was that?
Speaker 2: I'm looking at it now.
Speaker 1: It's after the two thousand and nine Stanford USC game, in which Harbaugh's Stanford team won by thirty four points over Pete Carroll yikes.
Speaker 2: And then and then he goes, what's your deal? It's on look at it.
Speaker 1: It's the best part here, And I forgot about this part is that immediately Harbad just like dismisses him and turns away, and Carol like follows him as if he's gonna like like, he just stays on him, and eventually he just he just gives up. That is so good, that so much he goes.
Speaker 6: I love the attention again when the Niners and the Seahawks were rivals, ultimately like culminating one of the best NFC championship games of all time. The tip like after every game and Harball, I think Carrol's record.
Speaker 5: Against him was you know, he beat him a lot.
Speaker 6: With Russell Wilson, he just looks so mad.
Speaker 5: For every game.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 7: I think so.
Speaker 8: I think that divisions are better with coaching beef.
Speaker 2: Yes, and like for Andy Reid to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the most successful at least at the in the NFL level of the four, but by are the lowest ego the three. Not that there's anything wrong with Pete Carroll and An Harbaugh and Sean Payton all believing in themselves. They absolutely should. Those games are going to be in prime time. They're gonna be great. I think there's gonna be more Jets games in primetime because the NFL is not afraid to put a Jets team in primetime. We'll find out about the quarterback situation there, but I'm going Jets as my number two team. In terms of vibes in the building, Aaron Glenn gives great press conference. He's couldn't be a more popular pick. I think for Jets fans man. He said all the right things. It was like a perfect best man speech. It was so short, you know, that's that's what you want to do. Like he just nailed it.
Speaker 2: It was short.
Speaker 1: They actually didn't even allow that many questions, and they let him break apart and they did the local stuff separately. But it was awesome. Let's listen to Aaron Glenn talking to the media.
Speaker 7: Put your seatbelt zone and get ready for the ride.
Speaker 2: Put your seatbet zone and get ready for the ride.
Speaker 9: Listen.
Speaker 10: There are going to be some challenges, but with challenges become opportunity is opportunity.
Speaker 2: But here's what I do know.
Speaker 11: We're the freaking New York Jets.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, And they put that up on the back page of the New York Daily News. It's one of the things I missed about living in New York is just seeing the back page every day and it's just Aaron Glenn saying, we're the freaking New York Jets.
Speaker 2: We're built for this, Yes, And I.
Speaker 1: Just like they could not have picked a more popular head coach. And I really loved Before I get your thoughts, Colleen, let's start with you. I really loved I was watching how the owners were involved with with all of these, Like Mark davis quick introduction just got to the thing Whatny Johnson talked way too long. But he has said two reporters after the fact that he's learned some things, that he's made some mistakes, and at least he's saying publicly that he's going to take a step back maybe and let Aaron Glenn and their new GM Darren Mujie start taking charge of this organization.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think about this? Hired Colleen Well.
Speaker 4: I love Aaron Glenn. Here the Jets choose him for select him for a second time. The first time was first round in the draft. Now he comes back as a head coach and he brings that whole Dan Campbell vibe. We saw it with Ben Johnson too, just like I don't know what that is, but it rubbed off on both of them. And I don't know if Aaron Glenn was just always like that, and same thing with Ben Johnson.
Speaker 7: But he's perfect for New York.
Speaker 4: He handled all of the reporters and all of the questions so well, and that's so important because it's almost like you get tested right away, like when you're in a new environment. It's true for anything. Anyone starting a new job at any point or hanging out with new people, you kind of like get tested by the group to see how far they can go.
Speaker 7: Are you going to break? And he did not. He's like he's.
Speaker 4: Perfect, And I can't wait for the Aaron Aaron conversation to happen with Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Well, they asked him quite a bit about that and he just said it will be time.
Speaker 2: I'm open to it.
Speaker 1: We have spoken with Aaron Rodgers that all seems positive.
Speaker 2: If you want to keep Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Yes, they were able to reach him on like the Packers at this point in the year win. I think Aaron Rodgers might take it as a win if they wanted to keep him. But we won't know about that probably for a little bit. What do you think.
Speaker 5: It's a small thing, but it actually does matter.
Speaker 8: And I know there's going to be like some my roles from listeners being like, Eh, it's not that big deal. I've had conversations with people who have been either in the OC job the DC job it didn't work out and they kind of reflecting, or the head coach job it doesn't work out and they're kind of reflecting on, like, Ah, what should I have done differently?
Speaker 5: What would I have done?
Speaker 8: How could i've reset the path or really started out as strong as possible. And one of those things, particularly in that market, is having that little side scrum with the reporters, getting FaceTime away from the main live stream the TV broadcast, and really getting that time with the people who are going to be looking at you in that room and asking you questions about you single day. And I know people go, oh, the media, you know, it's not whatever, but that actually does matter. Winning those people over first of all, but also connecting with them immediately and setting a tone and setting a standard that is super super important. And it actually is one of the things that you hear if the jobs you know of people going back and self scouting if it doesn't work out like I wish I would have. It's not a given that those asides happen. In so many places, including in Los Angeles, those asides do not happen, and so I think that that is super super important that he did that because he wanted to be directly in the mix with all of them, similar to how he must have been constantly in scrums when he's a player and say this is the standard. We are going to talk directly face to face as people, and this is what I'm about, and I need to show you that with looking in your eyes right now.
Speaker 6: I really like that point because I think people hear that, and they are probably some folks first responsible. Well, of course the reporter likes it when the coach talks to reporters and treats them humans, But that's not what you're saying. Like it speaks to a level of emotional intelligence and just iq generally in terms of managing human beings. That is so important in being a head coach. It's not specifically about the media. It's about how he is managing what is a very precarious situation. I was impressed with the way he handled the Rogers stuff, Coline, you talked about like just even addressing it. He could have been really defensive or weird or vague about it. He was just like, we're going to talk figure it out. Which is I believe accurate to the situation.
Speaker 5: I don't think.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I you know, I have my own thoughts about that, but I don't think that they've had their minds made up completely thoughts.
Speaker 5: I think they should move on from him.
Speaker 6: That's my Financially, if they keep him, they're going to be tied for another there's a huge, huge, huge financial hit, not just this year, the next year. I also just think the vibe shift is necessary. You got to do what it takes keep Garrett Wilson happy if I'm the Jets. So that's my take. But let's just like not beat around. Like the most shocking and perhaps impressive part, he sounds genuine happy to be a gh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeh. Was not a foreguy conclusion with this team.
Speaker 6: Like when was the last time someone said we're the freaking New York Jets in a positive quantitation and we all believed it, Like even the backside of New yorkot. I'm like, wow, that actually, like you could read this as a negative if it was coming from anyone else.
Speaker 5: But he really seems happy to be there.
Speaker 1: He really stressed that too, that this was the only job that he wanted that he made sure to schedule those second interviews with it. I think it was the Saints specifically after the Jets, because this is where he wanted to go and just talked about how he loved being there. As a player, and you just can't write the story of him being there before. And I think I think it's a good spot. They it's different than it's been lately. They announced structurally he reports directly to the owner and the new GM, Darren Mugie, who great job at Darren Mujie, who didn't have a lot of pizaz at the podium. You don't blame him his first spot there, like he was completely ignored, like and he loved it. He literally got one question at the press conference and he's like the new general manager of the Jets, and the one story he told was terrible. He talked about how impressive Aaron Glenn was in this interview with the Broncos back in twenty twenty two that when they were interviewing him, they were like, what are you gonna say to you know, the team on your first day? And he's like, well, you want me to do it now? And he said he was the only coach that was like yeah, sure, And he actually did the first day speech in the and the whole room was like, oh my god, this guy is amazing, like and it really stuck with us. And then I'm like, yeah, bro, but you you hired Nathaniel Hackett. That is not a good end to the story, like you totally botched it.
Speaker 2: But I thought that.
Speaker 1: I thought he's gonna have a lot of power. I think Aaron Glenn and I like he got Darren Rizzy there. Darren Rizzy was at the Ponium coach Rizz is with him in New York. And yes, I have to think Aaron Glenn actually had an impact on Woody Johnson saying the words quote, I have to look in the mirror and be a better owner. I've covered, I've covered, I've watched the Jets for twenty plus years.
Speaker 2: That is new.
Speaker 8: You have not heard Jerry Jones say that.
Speaker 2: No, just saying good teas.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll be back talking about the Cowboys, and yes, the Jaguars after.
Speaker 2: The break.
Speaker 1: Back on NFL Daily, And yes, we're talking about all the new head coaching hires and the press conferences, ordering them by vibes. We'll also talk a little coordinator talk afterwards. But number three and vibes was Liam Cohen. I would say with the Jaguars, everyone's everyone's seeing the clip that's done around.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start with.
Speaker 11: That Jacksonville, the community. How do we do this together?
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, I've seen this like one hundred times obviously, I think we all have.
Speaker 5: It's the facial movement that's the problem.
Speaker 6: I've realized it because I think in audio forma, if it just closed my eyes, it doesn't sound as bad.
Speaker 2: You guys agree, absolutely, it's the but You'm good. It's the way he makes you feel when he's moving his.
Speaker 7: Face that is Okay, I have to say no.
Speaker 8: So I covered Liam, right, and so okay, every Thursday coordinators would do the press conference.
Speaker 7: This has bit.
Speaker 8: I mean like he at least he was himself, you know, like this is been Lee, this is him, this is Liim.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So Liam I said this.
Speaker 8: When I said this, when he got in the room with Baker, right, I was like, oh I love this personality fit what a ViBe's room that is right there, and it's sort of elemental to like Liam is. He's like, remind you you know those the guy that like runs the surf shop at the beach and is like, really you can do as a chiller. You've never done this, yeah, like you've never done this before in your life? Stand up on a surfboard, like you got this and you actually and.
Speaker 5: You actually do it?
Speaker 8: You I think that's where and and it is like we got to get that guy to stop moving his head so much, I think.
Speaker 5: But also like it is he is such a vibe.
Speaker 7: It is so a head coach.
Speaker 8: He was as an oc as an oc in Tampa Bay with Baker Mayfield specifically, I cannot think of a more perfect vibes compliment to each other, because you got this really heck and fired up kid, not kid now, but Baker Mayfield, who we know is just like so much dip on his chip at all times. And then you've got Liam Cohen.
Speaker 2: And the longer I watched it, the more comfortable.
Speaker 1: I thought that was maybe more awkwardness, but maybe that is just he always is a litle I have.
Speaker 8: A post on my of him talking about playing complimentary football on my that it's still on my Instagram account and he goes, we actually played complimentary football, and I'm like, it's just him, that's wo.
Speaker 1: And he got more comfortable as the press conference went on, and it was a totally find press conference and the vibeses actually in the room.
Speaker 2: I think we're quite high jack.
Speaker 4: We shall have him on the next the next time we do. Things were getting too high on I think that maybe we should talk.
Speaker 2: To him then.
Speaker 1: That was a controversial segment that we did and I don't know if it'll be brought back, but I would love Liam Cohen would fit on.
Speaker 5: That maybe sometime in April. And I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: The day people were people were happy, like people there happy that they got him, like that was their guy. Yeah, And I thought as I watched the whole thing, it was a totally normal press conference. It was a little awkward when they were asking him about leaving Tampa, and I didn't really buy what he was selling there about that. He just didn't answer the questions and was like it was a great opportunity and it's just all about the people here and it's like, no bro like the like. He basically he completely denied that Trent Balki getting fired had anything to do with him event taking the job, which, right so got a little bit like a lie, but also a normal coaching lie that I didn't really care about. In the room, I think they were all excited. Are you excited, Mina about the Liam Cohen era in Jacksonville?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think I really liked the football fit. So let's start there.
Speaker 6: I mean, Jordan just talked about the work he did with Baker Mayfield, which is I think.
Speaker 5: You know why, I think we can all safely say why he has that job.
Speaker 6: But what struck me watching the Bucks offense this see her was just how quarterback friendly it was. Baker always had good answers quickly. He played the fastest football of his career in terms of time to throw. And then the run game. You know, some of the lot I had to do with the investment they made on the offensive line, no doubt, but you saw that run game evolve over the course of the season in a way that suited the talent of the players. And when I look at Jacksonville and I think about this offense, you can't run the football well. You had a quarterback who at one point was playing like a top five quarterback, even though it was just two years ago. Nobody remembers it when he was playing fast. It feels like a good match between what we saw for the Bucks offense and what we know you need to get out of Trevor Lawrence in the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Baker reportedly told him not even reportedly Liam Cohen said it Baker was one of the people he talked to in this weird process.
Speaker 2: In Baker was like, go get it, Go get that job.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if you know the Bucks front office was feeling the same. I definitely heard reportedly not yeah, that the Bucks front office and the Bucks ownership was not thrilled because they thought they had a verbal agreement that was going to make him the highest paid coordinator, and he was part of that agreement was he wasn't supposed to even take a second interview, and then he goes without telling him.
Speaker 2: I don't really care about all that stuff. In the end.
Speaker 1: Coaches do that sort of stuff all the time. They do it to players. It's not great, it's not ideal, but I like it. I don't like the setup that he has. I'm a little worried about everything beyond the play calling, which I thought was fantastic last year, Like it was so exciting. He was that kind of hot coreator that is going to bring I think a schematic advantage if he can bring that over what he did in Tampa. I don't know who the GM is going to be there, but here's what they didn't do in that press conference, they didn't deny that Tony Boselli is like quietly running the team, just a former player who does the radio there and has Shod Khan's ear what and like Trent Balki's not there anymore, and he was the guy who kind of had Shot Cohn's ear, And they asked him, like, is Bacelli, who I think was the most important person in this head coaching search by the sound of it, what type of job he has? And Shod Kan's answer was, well, we have to check with the league what we're allowed to do, but he will have some sort of position, So I'm not sure on the personnel side and the organizational side. The Jaguars have been pretty bad for the most part for a while and there are systemic reasons for that and that he might be pushing against that.
Speaker 8: Liam Cohen, yeah, also his agent played for the Jaguars once time briefly, but stayed connected with the organization, so there's obviously a knowledge of how it works there and how now everything is structured, and a clear understanding of really what you're getting into. If you're Liam Cohen, this is going to be interesting to me because when I watched his offense in Tampa Bay this year, which I loved, absolutely loved it, wouldn't shut up about it.
Speaker 5: You know this well, Greg and Collen, But.
Speaker 8: I saw shades and variations of the Rams offense from previous iterations of that offense before, you know, Kevin O'Connell came in and changed the things, and then before Michael Floor and Sean McVay and Matthew Stafford changed even more in twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four. And I saw a Chris Godwin who was being deployed a lot like Cooper Cup in the Z role, but in a very much expanded version of what another team would call a slot receiver, being able to do a lot of things autonomously. Really saw his target share increase. I saw a better run game than the Rams had had when Liam Cohen was the OC for LA in twenty twenty two and only twenty twenty two. And I also saw that they had a great offensive line. To your point, Mina, and these are all things. You know, he's going to have a really great offensive line as well. He's got the quarterback in Trevor Lawrence. I've always wanted to see Trevor Lawrence in this type of system. For me, though, and I've sort of said it seemed like Liam was pretty open all year about the fact that.
Speaker 5: Maybe he was a year away.
Speaker 8: I think this is a really friendly market to onboard as a head coach as in that division. Absolutely yeah. And also it's a and like you have an O line and you have a quarter.
Speaker 2: I don't think I don't think they feel like they have an O line necessarily.
Speaker 5: But I think pieces of it right.
Speaker 8: But I also think that for me, this is going to be what does the next version of this offense look like after you put on tape, what probably is going to look functional and cohesive in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: I have no doubt that they'll come out firing.
Speaker 8: Nobody's going to know really what to expect from Trevor Lawrence in this system, and they'll put enough pieces around. But similar to like a Bobby Slowick after one year trying to move this offense into the next phase even though he had not actually been part of the process of doing that, I'm very curious as to what Liam Cohen is going to do beyond this year, what his offenses are going to look like in the two point zh three point oh four point zero versions of what Kyle Shanahan of what Sean mcfay, who he specifically the latter was very connected to in his press conference and thanking him for his guidance and all of that. And so I'm curious about what that's going to look like after they come out hot, probably in twenty twenty five. What is two point oh three point oh? How do you evolve this forward? If you're Liam Cohen? To me, that's what this job actually is.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Is he is?
Speaker 8: He?
Speaker 2: Like the leader of men type of guy too?
Speaker 1: Is something I'm thinking about, like and just being able to organize an entire organization that's going to need some organizing.
Speaker 5: You weren't convinced by the Duval?
Speaker 8: You can do agree?
Speaker 1: Well, you know what he what's underrated about part of that? And let's get to the cowboys after this, But let's listen to one more time. It's the intro to it. I'm glad because the four second clip that went around Twitter for the most part and Blue Sky it was just the Duval. But I really like that it kind of came out of nowhere that you can almost hear what the PR director said to him right before he got on the podium about talking about Jacksonville and the community's let's listen.
Speaker 11: Again, Jacksonville the community, douvall, how do we do this together?
Speaker 4: And his eyebrows, he's got the eyebrows that kind of switched during it too. I got it.
Speaker 1: Jacksonville the community as time wears on is becoming a bigger and better part of that. For me, it's really like an underrated gem. I had a whole other normal quote. I was thinking about going out there to.
Speaker 2: Show that it was actually pretty good.
Speaker 1: It actually was totally fine. It was a totally good, normal press conference. It was not Adam Gase with the Jets.
Speaker 2: I promise I watched the wow because that was a time.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Imagine though, if he had hit him with like we're going to take it to the limits, like a little real throwback.
Speaker 5: I do want to plan who would have won over the internet? Yeah?
Speaker 8: True, I do want to say, though, it's it's interesting the juxtaposition. I wonder what you guys think about this. Between Ben Johnson's opening press conference when he adamantly and very specifically was like, I don't care that I you know, I never had a famous last name. I didn't I wasn't basically making these sort of references not so subtly to the mcveigh's, the Shanahan's saying overtly who wants to beat Kubiak's saying overtly he couldn't. He enjoyed Matt Lafleur specifically. I think that the juxtaposition was very interesting to me because you know, Liam Cohen came out and was like very Sean McVay heavy, right, And so I think that juxtaposition, I'm just I'm I'm tracking it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Liam Liam Cohen made a point over and over to give Sean McVay a ton of credit, saying like he would be honored to be considered part of that tree, and that that was graduate school and his whole life was changed by being in the RAMS building and was loving up his old boss. Let's go to Dallas where yes it's fourth and vibes because Brian Schottenheimer was very happy to be there and was tearful, and I thought did a good job, and I thought had a had a real head coach haircut like it was a good Shottenheimer sort of like either like haircut with kind of like like a little fate like it was good.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, all right. He was great, he was emotional, he did what he could. But his bosses, Jerry and Steven Jones, were so incredibly defensive that it felt like the whole press conference was settling scores. And the tone was set early even by the reaction that that they got starting the press conference.
Speaker 2: It's our new Dallas Cowboys head coach, Brian Schottenheimer.
Speaker 7: This is amazing.
Speaker 1: And chief operating an officer, executive vice president, player of personnel and co owner.
Speaker 2: Stephen Jones, all.
Speaker 6: Right, we'll clap for you.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's like a strange hire from the outside looking in, because people aren't excited about what they've seen out of Brian schottenheimer offenses. And I do believe he is planning to call plays, by the way, Aaron Glenn is not going to call places. Liam Cohen is going to call plays. If we're tracking that, I think Brian Scheinenheimer could be a better head coach than he was an offensive coordinator. They actually made a fairly compelling case once you got past a lot of the.
Speaker 2: Just defend Jerry.
Speaker 1: I actually think I think that they made a compelling enough case that they wanted to have continuity and a change at the same time, which is confusing. But the case that he made that like, look, we've never met these people. Want us to bring guys from out of the building and hire them, and we've never met them, and that seems crazy to me.
Speaker 5: That's part of the point.
Speaker 2: I do get that, But I also.
Speaker 1: Kind of get that that seems crazy to them too, because that's not how like most businesses work. And I don't think that's that crazy that you could have a broad spectrum of people that you at least know within the NFL and you would have a feeling and he's in your building every day. I don't think like that's necessarily that crazy of a way to hire a coach. It's more of the Schottenheimer of it all.
Speaker 2: Mena.
Speaker 1: And you watched him as the offensive coordinator in Seattle. He was up and down there. He's had some pretty rough years as a coordinator. He's had some okay years.
Speaker 2: What did you make of all this? And that he's getting his first chance here at each.
Speaker 5: He's no longer just Brian. He's the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Jerry said, I guess the familiarity thing I think would resonate with me more if it was a successful organization and you could say, well, the Cowboys have been successful recently, but you know, the offense felt really stale last year, even before Dek Prescott got hurt, it has felt like this. This is I think there are some teams where you're like, I understand why they're sticking with got someone in the organization maybe, or someone people are excited about.
Speaker 5: This is not one of those teams.
Speaker 6: This is a team that I thought felt like really needed to be shook up in some ways, and they went in the obvious office direction.
Speaker 5: Pardon me.
Speaker 6: I did find something very interesting about what Schottenheimer said, though, and I'm curious to hear you.
Speaker 5: Guys' thoughts on this.
Speaker 6: He when he spoke, and he was I thought, fine and normal and presented well, but he was oddly specific about the offense.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you guys heard that part. He is not the great buzz words.
Speaker 6: Yes, he was like, we're gonna use cut splitsend motion and we're going to improve the run, and I was like, WHOA.
Speaker 5: First of all, that never happens, right, That's why it jumped out to me. Usually it's buckle up your seat belts.
Speaker 6: You know, this is Jet's football, is much more normal, but also made me think he might be distancing himself from the Mike McCarthy offense because you guys, remember he didn't call plays. McCarthy took over play calling after Kellen Moore left. So I do wonder if Schoenheimer is trying to signal, hey, we're going to go in a different direction here, and if I was a Cowboys fan, that might be the glimmer of hope I'm finding in all of this. Maybe because Greg you talked about like John in Seattle, he did call an incredibly explosive offense that kind of hit a wall for a litany of reasons. But there's a possibility that we might not have seen from him the kind of offense he actually wants to call.
Speaker 1: In Dallas, Supposedly, Clayton Adams of the Cardinals is the favorite to be the offensive coordinator. And Clayton Adams is one of those guys who's kind of known as a run game you know, creative savant. He's an offensive line coach, which is an interesting thought and very creative and has a great reputation as kind of one of those guys. And yeah, to your point, I think that would be introg resting. And then you have Eberflus. Is that probably going to be the defensive court. It's not the higher yet, like you better be careful heartedly alleged I believe it.
Speaker 2: Edward or your old co.
Speaker 1: Put it out that they are hiring him, and then like minutes later Edwarder put out another two It was like, actually, they have to comply to the Rooney rule. They are learning now and they will be interviewing people. So that's unfortunate that it's that all seems like a sham and that Eberflus is getting that job.
Speaker 5: But that just that's that sucks.
Speaker 8: That's that's that's the other thing about the Jacksonville situation that really was grimy, like too, by the way, just to yeah, anyway, I think.
Speaker 1: What you said about the scheme specific stuff was interesting, Munich, because I really got the sense that Dak Prescott had a big role in this hiring.
Speaker 2: He's very close to Schottenheimer.
Speaker 1: Well, Jerry Jones and Schottenheimer kind of talked about how much support Dak caster for him. He talked a lot about tempo very specifically, like we want to be a tempo team, and it's Dak Prescott's team.
Speaker 2: And Jerry was.
Speaker 1: Funny though, just talking about like, well, when I was in the meeting and it would be sad in there on a lot of those Mondays, but then someone in the corner would say something.
Speaker 2: I'd say like, oh, yeah, that's a pretty good point. Who was that? And it was my guys shotting.
Speaker 7: He also called him a puppy. He's fifty years old.
Speaker 4: He's a puppy, So I mean that makes Pete Carroll look pretty young as well, just a young dog at that point. But the continuity, I think is important because those relationships are already in place. And Brian Schottenheimer has been waiting for an opun intended his shot for a while now, and he even said that he was not ready years ago, and of course he's gonna say now he is. But think about all of the notes that he's been taking and just watching how everything works in that building and probably noting anything that is dysfunctional and knows what needs to be changed. Now it's a matter of will they have the resources to actually do the things that need to be done and will it work.
Speaker 7: Does he have the right ideas he is like.
Speaker 1: A people person that is better maybe at that aspect of the job, which is kind of what the cowboys job is, because they have so little power. Like you were hearing, Mike McCarthy essentially complained he didn't have enough power over his own schemes some of the times, like so that's a that's a rough situation.
Speaker 2: Let's actually let's listen to one thing. Jerry said that he liked.
Speaker 1: About Brian Schottenheimer, like, you know, sometimes it's cool to have a guy who's been around the block.
Speaker 10: I like his baggage. I like his baggage.
Speaker 9: I like that experience.
Speaker 10: And one of the things he said to his mama is, Mama, I'm gonna get what daddy didn't get a chance to get. Got a chance but didn't get it, and I'm going to go to souper Bowl if it kills me. And his mother, of course, was emotional. This one will be for daddy, The first one will be for him.
Speaker 8: I appreciate Shoddy's facial expressions through that entire like, I felt he struck the right balance between uncomfortable, appreciative, and stoic all at the same time.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of Mommy, Mama and daddy and it was a lot of crying and it reminded me so much Mina of that that land Man speech.
Speaker 2: The whole thing it was all about Daddy. I was actually moved. I was like, do it for Marty, you can.
Speaker 6: I mean, Jerry Jones probably says daddy on a daily basis more than any of us.
Speaker 2: They're comfortable.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I don't know this, you know what watching we aired that a lot of the Jerry presser and there's other parts where he's basically he's just nagging him.
Speaker 2: Half the time was.
Speaker 5: The head coach not much of him?
Speaker 6: He kept saying, this is the biggest risk I've ever taken a man without head coaching experience.
Speaker 5: We were like, that literally happens all the time.
Speaker 6: It felt like, have you guys ever been at a wedding where like the brother in law or someone's giving a toast and it's like fifteen minutes in and they're still like he's a real piece of shit?
Speaker 5: Are you going to get to like the nice stuff soon?
Speaker 6: Like he cheated on his last girlfriend, he didn't even finish college. Mom and dad hated him, and you're just sitting there like, oh my God, because it's gonna turn positive at some point.
Speaker 5: That's how I felt watching.
Speaker 7: That a full roast.
Speaker 5: Can't wait for Tim Wolfe's wedding.
Speaker 10: It was, it was, it is.
Speaker 2: It was sort of the opposite of what I said with the Jets.
Speaker 1: Remember I said that was like fifteen minutes long and the opening speech was short, and the Cowboys thing went on for like eighty minutes.
Speaker 2: I made this thing.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm gonna work while having these on in the background. I was like, I gotta get on with my day. Jerry, it's like still going. We had to go off on NFL network like it'd been too long.
Speaker 8: That's pretty classic of when he holds court at the league meetings too. He'll say multiple, make multiple points, and then counter his points and then make a new point. You have to stay the whole time to make sure you get the full picture of what it was. He just holds you hostage. Yeah, and he knows it. He holds court like he has the floor and not surprised to see the acting chops by the way. For that reason, So this I had a buzzword that really like set off a flare in my brain, and I did you just I just went back and I remembered some of the shots of his face when the Green Bay Packers put up forty eight points on him, and when shot he said, marry the run and the pass. That is something that I remember when Matt Lafleur was first kind of getting his feet under him, and then further after him, Kevin O'Connell was getting his feet under him. The talk and the conversation about marriage of the run in the past, specifically as it pertains to making everything look the same run or pass out of the same pre snap looks, getting your motions and your timing correct on those running play action and getting your passing game deployed out of establishing play action. I just thought back when he said that to Jerry Jones, his face and there were many shots of him sitting up there as his team got their butts kicked by an offense that does that extremely well and is known for that type of thing, and also further whose coaches are known for using that exact language. And you talked about his notes, Colleen, I have no doubt that shot he's been sitting back and taking notes over what works in the league. Now, Will he has let's go, Will you have the runway, the autonomy, the support, Will you get the play? You know, will all of it work?
Speaker 9: We don't know.
Speaker 8: We just never know with any of these guys. But that was definitely a buzzword, a flare word for me.
Speaker 1: Said, off, some let's have a quarterback. He's got Ceedee Lamb and Michael Parks. I mean, he's got some things. It'll he has a chance, we'll see. I'm not like writing him off. I think people have been a little too crazy just because how they've presented. It is understandably getting picked apart because is so defensive. And again it's a lot of daddy. It's a lot of wife talk too. Emica was sitting next to me while this was happening. It's too cold in the garage right now to go out there, and so I had it on.
Speaker 7: She's like, what do you mean do you usually go to the garage?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I go watch go work in the garage or whatever, and and it's a lot of like She's like, why doesn't he just tell his wife at home how much is he loves her? Why does he have to do it up there. It's a lot of wife and mom and dad talk up there.
Speaker 2: The podium.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's like, hey, thanks for thanks for sticking with me when I'm never home. All right, Oh no, men, we've taken up a lot of your time. Wanna I do want to get your thoughts quickly on your new Seahawks coordinator before we let you go. That was it for the head coaching hires, but an interesting hire another familiar name. Clint Kubiak is the Seahawks offensive coordinator. Was with Minnesota and then was with the Broncos briefly was the play caller there when Nate Hackett got fired, and was with the Saints last year. Now he's going to be Gino's guy. Do we think he's the right guy to steward the next era of Gina.
Speaker 6: I just realized his brothers are Clay and Kleine, and they all all their names start with K A kub It's.
Speaker 8: A kettle of Kubiaks. I'm trying to make that stick all year.
Speaker 5: I know, right, it's like, we're to take your risks in the NFL. Brian Schwenheimer, Quent Kubiak, all.
Speaker 6: These Yeah, I think I'm optimistic, but cautiously I think the Sants offense was really hard to evaluate because of all of the injuries, obviously quarterback being primary, but really I thought they were tanked by the offensive line. And I think that's that does concern me because we all know that's the weakness of the Seattle offense. I think they're going to try to fix it this offseason, but I think that would be my biggest question is can he find a way to adapt, because you know, Duran's talking about running. Everybody wants to marry the run the past, but it's a lot harder when you can't run the football, and it's hard to run the football when you don't have a good offensive line. And this is nuke basically nuke to the Seattle offense, right and nukeda this year for Ryan Grubb who went from calling it offensive Washington with one of the best offensive lines in football to a very bad one and couldn't adjust. And I think that's gonna be the challenge for Clint Kubiak. That said, I think some of the principles he's from the Shanahan Tree shocker, I guess it's his dad is, so it's not really I.
Speaker 5: Don't even know he's from kubi X Tree.
Speaker 6: Then I guess.
Speaker 5: Literally physically he is.
Speaker 8: Keep sharing.
Speaker 2: Yes, how does that work exactly? How did the tree start?
Speaker 7: Yes, well, Jerry Jones can tell you, yeah, he kind of is the.
Speaker 4: Colleen.
Speaker 5: If you're a Kubiak, you'd be calling with a K weird, super weird.
Speaker 7: Never it's never been done. I don't think I've never seen a colleen with a K.
Speaker 1: Clint Kubiak is sort of the most direct uh baby possible because because he really because he really started with his dad, and then the organization that his dad won a Super Bowl four kind of picked him up after that, and then when he needed a better job, Kyle Shanahan gave it to him, because Kyle Shanahan got his first job from his dad.
Speaker 2: And now here he is in Seattle, venturing out on his own.
Speaker 8: I think there's another Kubiak still on the forty nine ers. Yep, Clay Kubiak is still on the nine ers stat too.
Speaker 6: By the way, I'm looking at photo from the same TREEA.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: If you want to hear more about the kettle of Kubiak.
Speaker 5: Wait, wait, wait, come to the no.
Speaker 4: I have one more thing for MENA Mina is Nick's family hitting you up for a ton of tickets?
Speaker 7: For the Eagles.
Speaker 6: No, but this is the thing that we can maybe end here that I wanted to say about Colleen, which is I love doing podcasts with her because.
Speaker 5: This is by far the most credibility I get with my in loss.
Speaker 6: Is when I do anything, Like most people, Yeah, like usually the number one thing I get asked about were he Andespans?
Speaker 5: Do you know Stephen A. Smith?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: I'm telling you though, if it's people from Philadelphia, do you know Colleen Wolf? Does she smell?
Speaker 5: Goodness?
Speaker 6: My in laws were like crazy like silver linings playbook style. Eagles fans talk about Colleen.
Speaker 2: Like like, oh, no, I love they knew her.
Speaker 6: They're like, she's come up, so there's they're like, legitimately so proud of you because you like came up through the local Philly anyway, so they're going to be so impressed.
Speaker 5: There's they think it's so cool that.
Speaker 9: I know you.
Speaker 7: That's really funny.
Speaker 4: And the fact that we lived in the same neighborhood growing up, I did, and Nick and her his family lived in the same exact like development. So yeah, kind of a small world, weird, right, It is a small I love.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Colleen is hosting Colleen's hosting me to tell them she's hosting the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Like the Super Bowl Super I'm going to tell them.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say, but don't watch you opening day because there's a more important show going on, and you can watch it because you're in Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: If you're in LA, you're in La. Come people Live podcasts. Screw Colleen Wolf perfect.
Speaker 2: Yes, the show is I Love your in laws.
Speaker 7: Tell them I said Hi.
Speaker 1: Seven to nine pm on Monday, February third, the day before we get on a flight to go down to New Orleans. Doors open at six point thirty. And yes, as we mentioned, all proceeds from the ticket price will go to support the Red Cross California Wildlife Disaster relief.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Is going to be really fun, Mina. What are we gonna do? Well, we'll have to talk about it. We're gonna make it great.
Speaker 6: Get probably get into some football. I suspect that'll be a dabble.
Speaker 2: That's a good fun.
Speaker 1: Mina chimes everyone and check out her podcast, The Minachimes Show featuring Lana We NFL Live Say.
Speaker 6: Goodbye in the manner of Liam Combe. Dude, you're so creeped out right now right, You're so creeped out.
Speaker 1: I am creeping out. It's the movement that does it. The great mina times we will wrap up our show. We're gonna actually tie a few loose ends here, the three of us all right after. We're gonna talk like we're gonna get yep. I am surprising you a little bit. We're going to talk the coordinators just to like, I just feel weird that we haven't mentioned Robert Salad is back with the forty nine ers. That's weirdly, of all these moves, maybe the one that is going to have the most impact.
Speaker 6: I like it.
Speaker 2: Who wins the Super Bowl next year?
Speaker 1: Like of all these like, can't you imagine this time next year being like sala returned to the forty nine ers and here they are back in the big game, like they figured it all out.
Speaker 2: Like I can totally see that happening. That's kind of a massive move for them.
Speaker 7: I think the players too, are like really excited about it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're going to be fired up. I am excited about this because three years after this move has been made, something new will have been formed or shaped between the battles that practice. Those two famously got into between Kyle's offense and Bob Sola's defense, and like the clashes and the yelling and then the brainstorming that happened after that, like is legendary and new things will come out of that. I think that is what Kyle Shanahan's most looking for, if you sort of read the tea leaves in San Francisco right now, is new ideas and re finding that person who helped set you on a course with some new ideas.
Speaker 1: He sucked all the life out of Mike McDaniel and he's gone, and all you know, Robert Salah and he's got Shanahan.
Speaker 5: Horcruxy have been spread.
Speaker 2: He has been there a while.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about Kyle Shanahan when Mina said about the message getting stale, maybe a little bit for Pete Carroll it is a bit of a danger peep. Bill Barcels always thought it was like eight years.
Speaker 2: I thought was his number.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was ten years, But there is it's hard to like reinvent yourself as you go, and that's that's what they're trying to.
Speaker 7: There's a cycle.
Speaker 8: Who knows if any of us will even be alive on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's something I would say, maybe they'll hire his old friend Bobby Slowick because we hadn't mentioned that he was let go by the Texans. Not a surprising move to me based on what they looked like on paper, but is surprising in the sense that Demiko Ryans is going to be a third year head coach and his team has made the divisional round back to back years, and so you don't want to celebrate a firing. But I think that showed something from Jamiico Ryans, and I think it made sense. So we'll see who's going to be the option there. The Bears announced that their offensive coordinator is going to be a man by the name of Declan Doyle, who Ben Johnson spent time with in New Orleans in Sean Payton's staff, and Sean Payton took him to Denver.
Speaker 7: He straight from Dublin.
Speaker 1: This marriage, I don't think because his dad was a strength coach at Iowa who ran into some controversy and was fired for making racist comments. When Urban Meyer tried to hire him Jacksonville, and I was like, oh wow, but that's his dad. It's not Declan. For Ben Johnson to choose this guy and say that's the guy I want running eight.
Speaker 8: Years old too. He was born in nineteen ninety six. My mask's probably off, but it's crazy how younger some of these coordinators are going to just.
Speaker 7: Keep getting younger and younger, and we keep.
Speaker 1: Paging Denver staff keeps getting picked apart like some position coaches. That's that's another one, Darrenmuji. I believe it is Moji. The GM of the Jets was from Denver as well, so Sean Payton. That's a that's a credit to him. And then who am I forgetting here? I think that's I think you got them all.
Speaker 2: I think we're good. I think we're good.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, offensive coordinators. We'll announce them as they are official.
Speaker 8: We've talked about these guys enough. Now we have to actually see them.
Speaker 1: Yes, the apparently this really young guy, Tanner Engstrom is supposed to be Aaron Glenn's offensive coordinator with the Jets, but that's not official yet.
Speaker 2: We'll see. He is the favorite.
Speaker 1: People thought he was going to get the job with the Lions, and Dan Campbell decided to go with John Morton. That was who I was thinking of, who is fifty five years old, not a young gun, and has been around a lot and was also on that Denver staff.
Speaker 7: So like, is ck Cayley in the mix too for offensive coordinator for the Jets?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're in it there.
Speaker 1: Supposedly the reports this guy Tenner Engstrom, who's very young and I think maybe was surprised.
Speaker 2: People were surprised that he didn't get the job.
Speaker 8: And to my knowledge, Jets haven't requested Kaylee yet as of this, you know, as of yesterday when I looked into it, but this was it doesn't mean it's not coming. But McVeigh was noting publicly that they haven't sent that over yet. But you wanted to talk about Dennis Allen, right, yes, yes, who That's what I was on my phone for, right in front of you, rudely just now, just trying to make sure we got that's a.
Speaker 2: Good staff there.
Speaker 1: I think Ben Johnson, I think he had an idea of what he was going to do and he put it together. I think Dennis Allen can be a good defensive coordinator again in the NFL. I wanted to mention something that started way back at the beginning of the season and we made a promise to our listeners when we did the Tiny Table that we would circle back at the end of the year and we would decide who had the best picks. And it was supposed to be a committee of people. I think only one of those people that we announced as part of the committee is sitting back there right now.
Speaker 2: That's Eric Roberts.
Speaker 1: So Eric Roberts is going to decide who won the tiny Table competition of twenty twenty five. I'm surprising everyone here. I meant to go over the over unders with Mina, but we were running long.
Speaker 3: It's not we've made eye contact something ready, and I'm like, I don't know enough, none of us do.
Speaker 2: Here are our picks.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you my take on it before we even start. We all were pretty mixed like it. It's going to be tough for you to pick, Eric. Some good ones had some bad ones. My mine were that the Seahawks will win the division and that the Cowboys will collapse.
Speaker 2: Those are mine.
Speaker 1: Jordan's were the Texans are going to the Super Bowl and a starting quarterback will get traded before the deadline. Colleen had some vague one, a vague one to start which was that perfect, but it was so right. The Bills will run the football well all year long and Trevor Lawrence will have a career best season. It didn't go to We also had a speed Round. By the way, I said, Kyler Murray will get some MVP votes. That's not going to happen, and that Chris o' lobby was gonna have a monster season.
Speaker 2: That's not gonna have. That didn't happen because of injuries.
Speaker 1: Jordan had Max Crosby winning Defensive Player of the Year, not so much Jackson Smith and Jigba being the number one receiver in Seattle. And then the Colleen had the Falcons winning the division and the AFC South getting three teams into the playoffs.
Speaker 7: Sooo, all right, the Speed Round. I don't think I really prepared for that one.
Speaker 8: You you skimmed right over this too. We've texted about this all year.
Speaker 7: Greg.
Speaker 8: Is that your one of your big regrets ye season is that you were so right about the Cowboys, but you moved off your tips the second week.
Speaker 1: I was like, I guess after they won big in Week one and the second week of the show, I was like, I guess I was wrong about my tiny table.
Speaker 2: Now I was right. You got to stick with it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, we weren't we didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory here, Eric, but you get to decide who is the winner, and the winner was supposed to get steaks.
Speaker 3: Yes, actual's what Jordan pointed out, will be the deciding factors that you were wishy washy about your Cowboys take and I want the Bills to win something this year.
Speaker 2: Colleen's take the ball.
Speaker 9: Look at that.
Speaker 7: I didn't and I did not know that you would be the judge of this. I also forgot that this was a competition, So thank you. I am honored we saw that becoming speech.
Speaker 2: Anyone you'd like to know.
Speaker 4: I love coming in here on Tuesdays. My see you next Tuesday. Crew has been awesome all season long. This has been really fun this year. And I can't believe we're all going to New Orleans to watch the Eagles in the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: This is the last one, yeah, in the studio. So I'm glad we did it, and I'm glad you ended up a champion.
Speaker 7: I thank you.
Speaker 8: I'm glad we all sniffed out Greg's attempt at manipulating the contest time.
Speaker 1: Okay, since she's pushing me to it, I meant to mention the over under draft with Mina back in the day. But it just felt like that was such a nice vie that we went out on and I didn't want to bring that up awkwardly.
Speaker 2: It's a little awkward.
Speaker 1: He did any but I went four and oh for the and went undefeated for the third straight year.
Speaker 7: There he is.
Speaker 5: He just cannot help him.
Speaker 2: The Bills over.
Speaker 1: Nine and a half, I mean they had that early. The Bears under nine and a half nailed it. Forty nine Ers didn't even sniff. Eleven and a half got that under. The Texans came down to the very last week and Davis Mills got it done for me.
Speaker 2: Wooro.
Speaker 1: People are saying this is one of the most unbreakable records in sports, Colleen, because we've heard that we did this on the Around the NFL podcast as well. I'm just straight Ears undefeated. It's a total eleven and zero.
Speaker 8: I just want to say speech, I said that was your speech. I sent my stop watches to make sure that you and Colleen had equal time. You didn't have equal time. You had more time than I do.
Speaker 3: Want to give your son some credit. Oh that's right, Walker made picks too. How did his over unders go back and listened and you were going to you said that you were going to bring him into that over under show. But he went kind of chalk and just picked the overs for last year's championship game teams. Okay, and we talked a lot of tree talk here and your tree performed pretty well.
Speaker 2: He went three and one live, who Wow, good job by Walker.
Speaker 1: He went over on the Chiefs Baltimore, the Lions, and the forty niners, all Daddy did their numbers to stop.
Speaker 5: Saying the word Daddy.
Speaker 1: Please, for the love of God, I've never been more proud play the music. He nailed three of those forty nine ers didn't come through with the Let's get out of here. Kevin Clark went three and one as well, with two and two with her picks, but she had a great first pick over Broncos by six wins. Yes, when we're circling our bets from the beginning of the season, when it's the last time for see you next Tuesday, you know football's back. Brom Locker