Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Now, let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move today in Europe. I'm Lizzie Burden in London with Stephen Carroll in Brussels, and we're joined by Bloomberg's Chloe Melley.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Chloe.
Speaker 3: So Castle Lake latest bid for EasyJet sent the sares soaring this morning.
Speaker 1: What would it mean for the airline industry more broadly? Yeah, so it's a really really interesting story.
Speaker 4: So let's start with what it means for easy Jet and then we can talk a bit more about the impact for the airline industry. But easyjeir has finally said yes to Castle Lake. It only took five takeover proposals. This latest takeover offer is of one more than five pounds and the companies have until August the third to fully sign off on it. So easy Jet was first seen as an m and a target because of how much it's really struggle struggled of the weight of those higher fuel costs. But at first it did seem very reluctant to say yes to this approach. It called it highly opportunistic and said it was very confident and it's in a strategy. But the higher the office got from Castle Lake and the more amenable easy Jet became. And now we do have a deal, and they did send the shares much higher this morning. And this has implications beyond just Easyjets. So means the loss of yet another UK listed company, But then what it means for that broader airline industry is that we could see maybe a wave of m and A across that sector. You know, those smaller players are really feeling the impact of higher oil prices, of lower consumer confidence. And so that means that easy Jet might not be the only takeover target that we see in this sector. And we did it actually see this morning that shares across the aviation industry were up. We saw a British airways owner IAG, we saw Tooey, Ryanair, all of them in.
Speaker 1: The green this morning. So there has been some red cross from this deal with these Jet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's an interesting one to think about in terms of the London listing story. Let's go to Italy next though, where a report about Italy's plans to raise defense spending. It seems to be having some moves on the likes of Leonardo.
Speaker 4: Yes, so Leonardo actually very strongly this morning on the back of this higher defense spending in Italy. So, Italy is expected to raise military and security spending by about seventeen billion euros over the next couple of years. That is according to report by the Italian newspaper Republica. So that's an expected move from Italy, given that it does need to meet that nature target of five percent of defense spending by the middle of the next decade. But although it is not necessarily a surprise, it's still really good news for Leonardo, and that's why the shares were up. It's been a very interesting time for defense as a whole. Obviously, it's the sector that's been a really big beneficiary of this higher defense spending that we've seen across the world. That's become even more important by you know, as the conflict in the Middle East.
Speaker 1: Lasted for months and months.
Speaker 4: But there's also been a lot of volatility in that sector, you know, so much so that the tank maker K and Ds did postpone its IPO last week. But now we also have this rotation back into those defense stocks. So there's a lot happening at the moment there and so it's going to be definitely an interesting one to watch.
Speaker 1: Koe.
Speaker 3: We've seen Asian tech stock down after in Vidia's AI server delay this morning. How are weaknesses there in Asia spilling over here into Europe? How is the likes of B Semiconductor for example, doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we've seen all of those names, those chip named air related names definitely in the red this morning after this kind of spillover from Asia. That was after a report that next generation AI servarak from system from Nvidia had been delayed by more than a year because of manufacturing difficulties, and so that sent names like B Semi, Infinian Asm, all of those names in Europe down this morning. And then in addition to that this something elsewheghing on B Semiconductors. There was a report that chip makers may further delay the full adoption of an advanced chip packaging technology, and so that's obviously bad news for that company.
Speaker 1: It comes on top of the Nvidia delay. That's really a hurting sentiment across the sector. So overall a pretty tough morning for that company.
Speaker 2: The stock movers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street, and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.