Speaker 1: Welcome to Insider's Guide to the Other Side, a production of iHeartRadio. Hi, y'all, I'm Julie.
Speaker 2: Hi there, I'm Brenda. Welcome to Insider's Guide to the Other Side.
Speaker 1: Now, y'all need to know that we are obsessed with everything on the other side.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are, because once you learn to navigate the energetic, or to some the invisible world, life is going to be more fun and much more serene.
Speaker 1: Uh heck, yes it can, because, let's be honest, br in, earth school is hard. In fact, you taught me.
Speaker 2: That, let's crush Earth school together.
Speaker 1: Hello, my witchy oh pooh. It is so good to see you. Hi.
Speaker 2: Now spend a minute of my own ough you flew solo. You did such a great job.
Speaker 1: I did not like it. I mean I can write a whole Doctor Seuss poem on why I I didn't like it Stanza by Stanza on how I missed you and how lonely I was.
Speaker 2: I know it's not as It's not as easy.
Speaker 1: No, and I've recorded it twice for the record, did you. Yeah, that's impressive.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the commitment in security.
Speaker 1: And I didn't have my witchy poop on my side, and it just wasn't as good. Are you good like we missed you? As everything good?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I am in recovery, but I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'm good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You can still hear a little, a little in my voice that not quite one hundred percent, but I'm pretty close.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you said eighty, and I think eighty is an understatement for where you see. But you know your percentage is better than me. I think I normally I met an eighty. Eighty is one hundred to me. So I just like, I'm like, eighty, Holy shit, Like that's a B minus in soul, which is above average. That's why I think I'm always there.
Speaker 2: You're passing.
Speaker 1: I don't right. If you said sixty, I'm like, oh girl, you're almost in the F zone, right, But you didn't. You said eighty. So maybe your scoring is very different than my scoring.
Speaker 2: I do not score on a curve.
Speaker 1: Okay, you see us scoring on an elf curve?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you make me laugh. I just appreciate that, first of all, you're covering while I was out, and also just the generous heart in which you told your story.
Speaker 1: It was no thanks. It's also my love of entertainment. Which actually brings us, I think to kind of why we're starting a new series, not a whole podcast, shy'll just a series within our podcast. So of course I have to tell you the story why because I am me and so I was in Los Angeles last week and busy, I mean like busy, like an ELF busy, busy busy where I wasn't getting back to the hotel until most nights between eleven thirty and twelve thirty, Like, well.
Speaker 2: You're with your people, come on, we know that you're going to be out late.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I loved every second, but it's like not a lot of time. And I have to say this. Nobody cares. You know why I'm saying this. I actually checked a bag and that's like a huge no, Like that's a huge trust issue with me, and I know it's it's like a trust fall if I if I check a bag, that's a trust fall.
Speaker 2: So so I always check bags because of my skincare. Okay, I can't fit it in a court sized bag.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's hilarious, but it's literally a trust fall. Of all the times I traveled inter nationally and my bags were lost, delayed, all that kind of stuff. It's like I try to jam everything in there, and I'll even carry like stuff in my backpack that should be in a suitcase because I don't trust airlines, so anyway is a trust fault. It worked Southwest, you know, they caught me going there and coming back. So anyway, I packed full back, very exciting, stayed in hotels, the pool, swam it was fantastic. But here's what happened. I know it's like, this is the irrelevant part of the section of the podcast. So here's what happened. I have not flown Southwest in a really long time. And it's not because I don't like them. I'm super cool with Southwest. It's just they weren't. They didn't match up right to flight. They will come to find out there's a direct flight from Albuquerque to Burbank. I'm like, oh sweet, right, and I worry a little bit it might just be like seasonal. I hope it's not. And I'm like, fuck yeah, I'm going. And I've never seen, by the way, both airports more busy in my life because it's it's it's you know, summer vacation, it's all that kind of stuff. I mean, like I used to own the Albuquerque Airport. When I would go, it was man like four other people. Now I'm like, where did they come from? But it's you know, it's it's terristyme and that's pretty much what we're really good for here. But anyway, so on Southwest Airlines, I was not aware that when they turned on the Wi Fi, you could go on your phone or your whatever device and they have a list of free movies. And I'm like, two favorite words free in movies. They don't always have to be next to each other, but it's nice when they are. I'm like, I want to see what they have in the free movie.
Speaker 2: Mean, they don't have the little TVs in the back of the sea.
Speaker 1: No, there's a long gone honey. I didn't know. You didn't know that, but there you go. So I wouldn't know. I wouldn't know. I played the field. I'm like a quad sexual when it comes to airlines. It's like, whoever gets me there fastest, I'm your date. Okay, Yeah, I don't care about Miles. I don't care about that shit. I just want to get there. I want to get home. So I used to care about Miles, and I realized because I traveled so much I never used them. Yeah, so there's that anyway. So so I realized, like, oh, I can watch a movie. So the movie they had go fucking figures like gold Mine, shit, it was ghost it was it was Ghostbusters, Frozen, Empire. I'm like, again favorite words. I like the Cold so Frozen works, love Ghostbusting, and I'm not I'm kind of a fan of Empires. So I'm like, I will watch this movie so that this.
Speaker 2: Must be the latest of it. Is it a remake?
Speaker 1: Right, it's not a remake, No, it's it's it's new there, yes, okay, yeah, and also some of my favorite actors are in there as well. Okay, yeah, it's great. Who's in it? Well we had the oldies, right we have uh, we have Bill Murray was in there, and Annie Potts, who I love Annie Potts. She's also in Young Sheldon. I just love Annipots. And they also had a woman named Carrie Khon who is in it. And Carrie Cohne is not like a super popular actress, but she was in one of my favorite series ever called The Leftovers, and I became obsessed. I mean, she's so good. It's an HBO series. I encourage everybody to watch and if anybody wants to be my friend, you have to watch that, unless you're Brenda because she gets exempt from No, not at all. Actually, it's not scary at all. It's it's there's an event. Okay, we're totally going off track. I love this. It's there's an event that happens, and I think it's like three percent or five percent of the population on the planet just disappears, and it's an event COVID, but they literally physically disappear like this, And I love it because it's really a story about what we do when we're fraid, when we're in grief and seeking shelter, solace, safety, whatever it may be, who we connect ourselves to, how we act like I just love those types of shows. And anyway, so she stars in The Leftover, so I was very excited about that. So I'm watching this show. I'm not going to tell you guys about it, because this movie, you guys could watch it. It's fun. But there's this moment when somebody was explaining to another and one character was explained to another character something like, well, yeah, you know, I believe in that, and then continued on and say something about the singing cheeses of Copenhagen, like that it was some folklore or myth or something like that. So I get all excited. Right, So I'm like, oh my god, a new folklore for me. And I go look it up and okay, it with some episode on Rimy and Stimpy, a cartoon. I'm like, well, fuck this, it's not a real folklore. There's nothing about the singing she's of Copenhagen. And I'm like, I'm so disappointed. So but what was awesome about my disappointment? I'm like, you know, me, would you poo have not actually gone through and kind of addressed all the different folklores that are out there, and I thought, what a fun series it would be for us. Am I right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I can't wait to see where this goes.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to start with elves because why not.
Speaker 2: Of course we are.
Speaker 1: And I've done homework because you know nerdy elf does homework too, and I have. You know, when you do research for these types of topics, you have to go deep into like Reddit, and you to go deep into like discord and shit like that to like really go in to get the stories. And I think I found a good one, so I wanted to hear.
Speaker 2: So we should probably take a break.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm just kidding, Yeah, take a break. But I just want to say to everyone, as you listen to this, we're not trying to sell you guys folklorees. We're just sharing, right, We're going to talk about what we think and what possibilities are. But I just think it's really interesting just the fact that there's so many that there's so many and we're going to cover a lot of them from around the world, and I just think it's just a really fascinating topic. And if you don't believe, that's fine, But the next party you go to you'll have stuff to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and remember it's about how culturally we make sense of the.
Speaker 1: World exactly, exactly. Okay, we'll be right back. I'd welcome back, thank you. Okay, so let me tell what I found. Well, yeah, and we can talk as we go through it, right, But this is really awesome because the headline, well, it's under tags of so our little rs reddit slash paranormal, so it's in the paranormal section of Reddit, and it has a tag of encounter. So just everybody knows okay, but there's a headline and this is what I love. Did I meet in elf? Or was it something else? Classic? Right, isn't this fantastic? I'm going to try to like make it. Oh no, it doesn't want to go horizontal on me, old age. I'm gonna have to look at it really closely. So here we go. Here is did I meet an elf? Or was it something else? So this happened to me when I was ten, but I was so shocked I remember it vividly. My parents go to the farmer's market weekly. This time they brought me along. So this farmer's market was held on a big parking lot and on the ground here and there there were some sorts of metal gratings and you could see the sewers. By the way, it sounds like an intro to it, that evil clown. I thought you're going to say Poltergeist. No, no, because it's not a comedy. Neither was neither was it. By the way, it's kind of scared the shit out of me. Okay, I don't know if you can picture, but I could try finding a pic. Okay, Okay, sorry, I didn't mean, who cares? Uh, we can picture it, right, because farmers. Yeah right, really Farmers Market, parking lot medlow grade. See the sewer, got it? And if you can't picture it, go watch it anyway. I was always scared of walking on them as a kid because I thought I would fall in. Totally fair. And by the way, if you're a lady and you got some heels on it, you avoid that shit too. Clearly, this is not a lady. I think it's a heat it is. Oh no, maybe a lady. This person continues and says, But that day the market was full, not a lot of space to go around, and I had to walk over them. As I did, I looked down and there was somebody down there looking back. Oh no, that's some freaky shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, as a ten year old, I don't think he would make that up.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. But I'm fully convinced this is not made up. But you tell me, because you are the wishy poo. This person continues. He was small, he had pointy ears, but it's his eyes that I can't forget. They were golden and so shiny. I looked at him, he looked at me for what seemed to be an eternity. I was so shocked that. I just kept on walking, went back to the car. I told my parents, I told everyone, but nobody would believe me. I mean seriously, I mean I get it.
Speaker 2: I totally get it.
Speaker 1: I totally get it. To this day, nobody does. It has become a running joke amongst my friends, so I stopped talking about it altogether. It's the first time I've told this story in a decade. Trust me, reading it as an adult. I know how crazy, corny and ridiculous it sounds, but I know it happened. Has anybody ever heard anything blah blah that's happened to them? Why do I feel like I missed a part? I said twenty years right, Okay, that's the part they caught me. Yeah, you're kidding, I mean, and then I realized, Hey, actually say it, because in my head I've said it a thousand times since I've read this story. Pointy years, twenty years, twenty years golden eyes, golden eyes, come the fuck one? Yeah, that would do it. Okay, So do you feel that we're talking about like this is this child adult now encountered this? Yeah? I mean this it sounds pretty incredible. So here's what's interesting is the elves, which the Internet calls fictional beings and have to say specifically who calls it fictional beings, has been in the European folklore for since the fifteen hundreds at least. Well this is what they say, right, I think there's I think there's Celtic folklore that might be a little bit older. But what's interesting is, you know they talk about like what they look like. You know, they're small, usually in the form of a tiny human, right, so that tracks they're known for playing tricks and causing troubles. I mean, listen, if like you're gonna have an ELF's gonna catch your eye through grades, like you're causing trouble. Yeah, you're not hiding from humans. You're like messing with humans. And is it. One of the other things that happens is they steal children. They steal a lot of things.
Speaker 2: They can steal a lot of things, but they will Yeah, they can steal children. But also they they tend to hang out in what we call the tweenier places, right, the places that are thresholds to other places, like a great a sewer, grade, a window, a doorway. Right, that's those those little thresholds because they can go between the Earth, you know, the earthplane and the magical world. And so they you know, they can turn any of those thresholds or you know, vortexes into transportation into the into the magical world. So that's usually where'll they will catch your eye. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So like they can now they can pass through to our dimension, can we pass.
Speaker 2: Through to their not without them, without their guide, like they without their abduction really when I think of but yeah, like that, so.
Speaker 1: They were believed and in various reasons to cause diseases in humans and cattle. I've never heard that. Yeah, that just sounds like pre understanding bacteria. Right, and that also keep in mind of timelines, right, like fifteen hundreds, was this to say that's the latest, right? That was certainly a time of widespread illiteracy. Yeah, right, Like this is back in the day when religion was was they're they're guiding force. Like when the sun came up every morning, there was like, oh they thank God that the son that thank God that God allowed the sun to come up that day because they thought it was a choice. Right, there's no understanding of a galaxy, a universe solar system, not that it was the divine, right right, right, It was the divine And it's really funny because, uh, you know, there's a there's a little like I've read, as you can imagine, quite a bit about elves and I'm in my next place on my vacation, like my hit list is actually Iceland, Like I want to go hang out, and I think they're waiting for me, no doubt. Well, the magical L's and they like to cause a lot of ruckusts and stuff. But there's a lot of cases that that do a lot of stories that come out of Iceland of interacting. In fact, I think there's one of the highways that they made to avoid this kind of part of a force which was known where the L's were.
Speaker 2: They and they were instructed to build around it, to build it right, yeah, because like things people would go missing.
Speaker 1: Hey, man, don't mess with the elves because it's funny because they say, you know, are they because you know, I rarely have had elf conversations before, and people have asked like are they good or bad? And I'm like, they're both, yeah, just like people, they're both right, you know, they're known for these magical qualities. I think there's certain you know, possibilities that they can have. But yeah, of course they're gonna be They're gonna be bad. They're gonna be mischievous. I don't know what dry. So tell me, like, why would they steal children?
Speaker 2: You know, well, one because they can and to get enough answer if they're trying to get the humans attention to do something or pay attention to something or said something right, and they they are too stubborn, or they're not paying attention to how how cherished their children should be or something like that.
Speaker 1: They're teaching a lesson kind of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, okay, we'll show you dipstick.
Speaker 1: Where do the kids go? You know?
Speaker 2: They go into another Yeah, they go into the magical they go to the elf land.
Speaker 1: Why didn't that happen to me? We don't know that it didn't. Oh good fight nicely. Yes, Maybe that's why I like them so much. Maybe that's why you got your magical powers. Maybe. So okay, so I'm just going to bring up one thing and then we should probably take another break, which I can't believe I said that out loud. It's a hate breaks. There's a list of like these characteristics, right, so they're small, the form of tiny human. They remain youthful for more than five hundred years. They're known for playing tricks and causing troubles. They're associated with magic, skilled with weapons and magic, and sometimes shape shifters. Oh yeah, they possess anate grace and beauty. Here's my favorite part. Like, I like literally cannot get this out of my head. Antagonistic and often at odds with dwarves, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I think back to think wrestling.
Speaker 2: Now, think Lord of the Rings in photos posse, right, how the elves and the dwarfs would like snarl at each other.
Speaker 1: Isn't it funny? I mean, but it's like it's like, I guess you know, when you have like a very large person who's antagonizing a small person, if they pick on some of your own size. I think in this case they pick the right size.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yes, all those things out there are definitely associated with magical things, stirring up trouble, and sometimes stirring up trouble just to create more magic. Like, hey, you think we're not real, huh, jokes on you.
Speaker 1: We'll show you. You're gonna have to build a road around as fuckers. Okay, we're going to come back, and I want to talk a little bit about the Keilp folklore of elves and we'll dive into some other aspect of elves. Okay, we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to more alphology.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is just fun facts. These are just fun elfin facts. So there's a question, So you know, what are the elves and Celtic folk lore Jesus Julie, say it properly, say it, don't spit it or stutter it. So who are the elves? In Scotland mythology and folklore and Scottish mythology and folklore, elves are known as it doesn't matter the sith the sith is something like that, but they're believed to be, to your point, supernatural beings who live in a parallel world alongside humans and have the ability to interact with and influence human affairs. Like that is probably the best definition. Yet, what I think is really fascinating is they say, kind of where do elves come from? Like it's like, how do elves come to be? So once I really am interested to get your take on this. So when Middle Earth universe was created by the supreme being e Eru, I think it's I l u v A t A r oh. That's like Vader eleu Vader. That sounds like Darth Vader. Two species were made directly by the Creator God and it's little c little g elves in humans called men in the Middle Earth lore, the l's were spread across the world in mated pairs, while humans were held back until a later time. So according to this else Predate Humans Psychicoma book. But go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was thinking more like the al you know, alpha test.
Speaker 1: Alpha. Oh my god, that's hilarious to be little there's still alpha.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like little dogs or the Barquie, the ones that scare everybody because they just bark constantly, and it's like they're like little they're the elves and they are alpha elves. So you know, it's funny. We've been doing this show for many years now. I think we're coming upon another anniversary for this show, probably our fifth. In your anniversary, and you know you've been calling me Elf. I get text conversation. I am called Elf within my family. So the only one who doesn't call me that is Susanne, and I'm glad because that'd be weird. But I'm called a lot, and so I don't know we've ever talked about the origin story of when I kind of got that name and it wasn't me, but it had to do with you, and that's the funny part. So I was working at Fox and you know, listen, my last days, last years at Fox were pretty wild, right because Mom died, you know, like there's a lot of death that I dealt with. It was it was really the beginning of what my spiritual journey. It began there, like full swing there and I spent so much time there, so I mean, how does it not affect everything around me? And we met, you know, in that time early early, And there's a really good friend of mine named Alison. And Alison I think Allison's a dwarf, but because she little and or she feisty, and I love her. She's like been such a great friend. She's like that friend that only tells you the truth and there's no other option, you know what I mean. Ye love that. Oh she's great. She used to rewrite my emails. She's like, you have to quit being so emotional, and this is how it right. I mean literally, she would like I would send her an email before I sent it out usually highly charge. It wasn't every day I sent Alison my emails, but like the highly charged one, and I would send to her and she would rewrite them and almost every time, you can't be so emotional, this isn't about you, And she would rewrite at least parts of my email. So I love her for that. I learned a lot from her. And we were talking about you, and because she's the one that brought you to the Poulter Guy set, if you recall Allison. Yeah, And we were just talking about, like I don't know, just all sorts of things all Brenda and I go, well, what if we do this and that? And da da da. She's like, she's you're like an elf. You're just run around doing shit. And she's like, you're Brenda's elf. She goes, because you don't do this for anybody. She's ying, you're just like and I said, am I hollowing out trees and baking cookies? She goes, you probably are. So I think a dwarf anointed me in health? That is awesome. Do you wanted to know all the pieces of that story? I did.
Speaker 2: No, I did not know all the pieces to that story. I did not that hilarious. Yeah, that is very, very funny. It's good to know that. I just somehow parts of that story came to me, and I didn't know that other people didn't call you out because.
Speaker 1: Susan, Oh no, oh, you thought that that was a name for me pre Yeah, yeah, like B b B before Brenda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just thought that was kind of a moniker for you, because.
Speaker 1: No, it's a B after Brenda, because.
Speaker 2: You do kind of run around and help.
Speaker 1: For sure, for sure, you like, I don't steal babies.
Speaker 2: But well sometimes you do think of it this way, yeah, because you'll you'll get it. You'll see someone's idea that you love. Oh, and you'll be like, we're blowing that out.
Speaker 1: Oh that's fair. You're right. I do steal babies. Yeah, you steal babies. Yeah, you're right. It sounds worse than it really is, but yes, you are. I don't steal physical babies, human babies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's more it's more like a you're right, more.
Speaker 1: Like a dola. There you go. I like that. But you thought that people called me that before. No, it was Allison and she named it, and you know what odds are she was was probably twirling around in her head at some point or another. You too.
Speaker 2: You two are well matched.
Speaker 1: We are so well matched. It's so funny. I love her so much. But here's the funny thing about it is, you know, I think again, whether you believe, you don't believe that I be characteristics things that reflect you, and you embrace. And I have to tell you it's really fun you know, I mean it is. It's like I love calling you wichi poo, and I love like elf and all that kind of stuff, because, you know, because their school is hard, and whenever we have a chance, I think to be playful, I think that we should embrace it. And so I completely embrace the elf thing. I completely embrace all of that. And you know, even to the degree of you know, it's funny, because I seriously have a pattern. When we got our cat, Booger, I named him Booger. He was named it was a terrible name. It was nearly as fun and people would say, well, why'd you name your cat Booger? And I said, because I want to laugh every time I say his name. I remember, and and that was achieved. And you know, have a sticker on the back windshel of my car, and it's of an alien ship and it has like the light coming down onto earth, like the beam, you know, and it says get in loser, and I had and I put it on there because I just want to laugh every time I walk up to my car. So anytime I'm called Elf, it just makes me giggle. I've had people like have written, texted, called and said I want to be in elf in training. And that means that like there's power behind and that power is in control power, but like there's energy, but the energy is a better there's energy behind it, and and it's fun and it just makes I think things more playful. And I really really really can't wait to meet when in real life and Iceland and have them like pull me over for a little while, just for minute without transporting you to the other dimension.
Speaker 2: But I do mind to say biz about the elfin world is that they do meet us in the earth plane. Yes, And so they don't usually show up in meditation, they don't usually show up in dreams. You will see them, like I said, in those thresholds between two spaces like doorways, windows, sewer grades apparently.
Speaker 1: Apparently right, so you see scary clowns too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but this is this is so just seeing know where to look for else.
Speaker 1: So that's just one quiet yeah, and it's so funny. Stay dreams. Can I tell you really quickly about a dream that I had the weird So this is off the subject and I'll end it. It just remind if you said dreams. And this is the craziest thing ever. It's two mornings ago. I woke up and I'm like, I woke up with that what the fuck is happening kind of thing? You know what I'm talking about? Right, Not like I'm scared, but like, what the fuck, like is this real? So here's what's happened. Suzanne and I have been watching a lot, like two series actually that are about like a teenage kid like committed like committing a murder and the parents covering up for it. Oh yeah, this is on net. It's called Your Honor, Like that's one of them.
Speaker 2: And we were watching that. That was a good series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really good. Okay, well, but like he's there's a cover up that's happening, and so it was the strangest thing. So I woke up and I woke up from this place where I was being questioned by the police about my whereabouts and all I had, and I told him I was I was a murderer apparently, and I and the evidence that it was all about the evidence. It wasn't about the murder. It was about the evidence, and it was about some invitation. I'm like, well, I have the invitation, like well, but normally you get a handwritten whatever back. Well I didn't have the handwritten whatever back. And then I wake up and I'm like, what the fuck. It was the craziest thing, but like the power of stories and how they can seep in to like that space, it was and I going because he's in as always up before I am, and I'm like, say, it's like when I go, did I murder somebody? And she's like I don't think so. And it was in.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I can go back to sleep. Okay, thanks said, yeah, no, for real, it was.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. But but you said dreams they don't go there. But I'll tell you murder rage and cover them up. Apparently can't see them into your from telewatching television lunch.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's why I'm so careful about what I consume.
Speaker 1: I am not and I'm not gonna stop you are out in the wild, I am out in the cosmic, woild.
Speaker 2: Gold, Ghostbusters on Southwest, and Everything.
Speaker 1: Right and that brought us to this episode and many more about folklore y'all.
Speaker 2: So we can't wait to share more of my nerdy else research with you. Thanks so much for listening, and remember our school is hard.
Speaker 1: Without the other side. And wait till we start talking about dragons people. That's gonna be fun. Bye everybody, Bye everybody.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us. Everyone, and a special thanks to our producer Joey Patt and our executive producer Maya Cole Howard, who guides us while we guide.
Speaker 1: You hit us up on Instagram at other Side Guides, or shoot us a note at high Hi at Vibes dot store.
Speaker 2: We want to know what you think, We want to know what you know, and we want to hear your stories.
Speaker 1: And remember, our school is hard without the other side. Insider's Guide to the Other Side is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts. Us s