Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking All State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: But by the time you hear this, they've traded them to the Dolphins for the twenty ninth pick and future picks. I'm not happy. Even if I go on television throughout the rest of the week and pretend I'm dealing with it, You'll know in real time as I'm processing it, it's not landing right with me. All right, Welcome back in what' You Right with? Nick Wright Podcast and video show. Something very odd happened About ninety seconds ago. The producers in my ears told me, put your phone down. We're changing up the show. There is breaking news as we are recording again. You guys will be able to hear and see this Thursday morning afternoon, but we are recording it Wednesday morning, and the producers told me we have breaking news, so I'm going to pivot this way. Demon's what is the breaking news that we are breaking the format for.
Speaker 3: NFL networkers reporting that the Chiefs are allowing Tyreek Hill to seek a trade.
Speaker 2: No they're not. Yeah, stop, what's the actual breaking news?
Speaker 3: Just in on Twitter?
Speaker 2: But it's the NFL network? Yes, stop it got that's very okay. Hold on, give me a moment here, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, So it is real. The Chiefs are gonna let after contract extension talks broke down, You're gonna let the Tyreek Kill see get trade. Oh okay, hold on, Tom pelasorrow has a follow up tweet. What is that? Sorry, we're doing this live. This is why you got schefter. What schefter gonna tell me? This is not true? Schefter? Oh the Dolphins or the Jets are involved. Okay, well that's the first piece of good news. Jets and Dolphins series talks trade for Chiefs watchers to Tyre Kill. Chiefs are mulling what to do, but Hills time and Casey looks like it's coming to an end. Jets and Dolphins is two teams now buying for Tyreek Hill expects to a massive contract extensions. Chiefs are gonna give a massive contract decision. Okay, all right, got your verification. I got my verification. Okay. So I'm not gonna sit here and pretend this is good. This obviously he's not good. However, I this is me my version of tweeting through it. Listen, Tyreek is one of the most unique, special, and talented receivers ever. He's on a Hall of Fame trajectory. I'm not gonna deny that. What I am gonna say is this. You know what positive spin on this threefold First one is if you trade with the Jets, you're getting a top five pick back the Dolphins. I'd be a little less excited, but still we could deal trade with the Jets. You get top five pick. That would be a positive thing. And maybe multiple maybe the Jets give out multiple picks. Who knows. Let's see what this trade possibly could be. If there's any breaking news, again tell me. And by the way, by the time people hear this, the trade might already have happened. But I'm dealing with this in real time. Here's another positive. I'm looking around the rest of the AFC West. Those teams are minus picks. The Broncos they don't have picks forever. Traded for mister limited Russell Wilson. That's true. Oh yeah, you're laughing at me. The Raiders, they're out of picks. They traded for Devonte Adams. So while all those teams are focused in the here and now, Chiefs have a long you know, one hundred yard of view in this thing setting up a dynastic run. Now, it's gonna be harder without Tyreek Hill. I understand that. But one other positive, you know what, two more positives. One is, you don't want to We've probably gotten the best out of Tyreek Hill. Gonna need the new receiver market things. DeVonta Adams twenty eight million a year. I'm not thrilled about the idea of paying tyreek Hill twenty eight million a year. So there's a nother positive. And lastly, is this the only arrow people could throw at my guy? Mahomes was, well, see him do it without tyreek Hill. Okay, well, now we're gonna see him do it without tyreek Hill. Mark was wuldas scantling. Let me see what his numbers were real quick. God, this is the worst of Ma's eight. All right, welcome in. It is the What's Right with Nick Right podcast and video show like rate subscribe, do all those things. I was ready to give you a full plea for those things. But here's the deal. We had a whole show planned and then the tyreek Kill news broke. We're gonna talk about it throughout the show. You've already gotten my live kind of candid camera thoughts on that, but that is not what we plan to discuss today. Before demands joins us to talk about what we will be discussing today in addition to the Tyreek Kill news. As we start every show, we tell you what we won't be discussing. So here's what's not on the show today. What's not on the show today is use of Nurkic tossing a fan's phone, which, by the way, forty thousand well spent, Mike Tyson fighting Jake Paul for reportedly one billion dollars that didn't make the show, and Jamal Crawford three times six Man of the Year. I once tweeted that Jamal Crawford was my son, who you're going to see in just a moment his favorite player. Jamal dm me and said, oh my gosh, that's so awesome. I'll send him some gear. I then told Jamal my son was at the time twenty two years old. He no longer sent the gear. I think he thought you were a little kid, which is why you never got it. Demon say that you didn't even know about that. Yeah, same, you didn't know. That's a true story. Yeah, Jamal Crawford, Seattle legend. All right, what are we starting with today?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, let's talk about the best team in basketball? Okay, the Phoenix Suns. I mean they have by far the best record in the NBA right now, yep.
Speaker 2: And by the time people see this last year this who might be back, Chris Paul might be back?
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, do you think there's a chance that they won the title this year?
Speaker 2: So? I think there's certainly a chance. But they are absolutely not my pick. They are right, I understand the record says I need to respect him. Devin Booker's out here saying, hey, you know, if we were fair about MVPs, I you know, I'm the leading scorer. I argue to be the best player on the team with the best record by far. Isn't that usually enough to win MVP? And the answer Devin Booker quickly is yes, it usually is enough to win MVP. However, the problem there is it's kind of a Steph kd issue. Not that Chris Paul and Devin Booker are equivalent to Stephen cad but there's a real question about who is the best player on that team. Now, they have been great since Chris Paul was hurt, but they are obviously great with Chris Paul. I would argue Chris Paul is the most important guy. But so one would say, okay, so they have two legit MVP at least fringe MVP candidates, they have an excellent coach, they have a deep roster. Why are you not picking them to win a weekend Western Conference? Well, the real reason is I don't know that I trust Chris Paul to make it through four rounds or three rounds. Let's get to the finals healthy again. Now he did last year barely, Remember he almost got hurt in round one. And I think the back to back ninety plus game one hundred game seasons can wear on any team, particularly a team that doesn't have a ton of experience like Phoenix and the one guy with a lot of experiences and injury risk. Right my preseason pick to win the West and to get out of the to get to the finals was the Lakers. That clearly is dead right now, I'm telling you I don't think Phoenix makes out of Round two because I think the team they play in round two is the team that's going to go to the finals. I think this is the Dallas Mavericks year, not to win the title, but to get to the finals. I think Luca, who is the closest we have seen to Lebron in NBA history, or at least since Lebron, Luca is going to have his version of twenty two year old Lebron seven carrying a very weak Cavs team all the way to the NBA Finals, where they then got washed by the Spurs. I think Luca can carry the MAVs to the NBA Finals, where they then will get washed by the Bucks. So no disrespect to Phoenix, but I do not think they are winning the title this year. I just kind of alluded to Lebron there. It looks like we are talking about Lebron here. What are we discussing here, Demansey.
Speaker 3: The Lakers and Nets are both headed to the play in.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable that they're both headed to the play in too, Yeah, it is. It's a crazy time.
Speaker 3: But despite Katie and Lebron both having great seasons, yep, do you think player empowerment is backfiring if the greatest guys stuck on really bad teams.
Speaker 2: So that's interesting because so I thought about this when I was watching the other night. Both Katie and Lebron had thirty five point near triple doubles. Lebron actually had the triple double the night Lebron baptized Kevin Love. Katie had a great game himself. They were playing at the same time, and I thought about this, and Demons, you'll remember this even though you're, you know, obviously younger than me. Ten years ago. Ten years ago, this season, Katie and Lebron played in the finals for the first time. They were the two best players in the league. Nobody disputed it. Five years later, Katie and Lebron played each other in the finals again. They were in my estimation, I think most people's believe, with respect Steph Curry, still the two best players in the league. Nobody disputes it five years later, So ten years after their first time meeting in the finals, Katie and Lebron the two best players in the league still know because Giannis is the best. But you could make an argument that they are still top three guys. They are clearly still top five guys, and yet both of them are going to be in the play in that right now. They're the eight and the nine seed, respectively, and they both did choose this situation. So one could argue, yeah, you know it has a player empowerment has cost them. I think that is too narrow of a view, because player empowerment is not only what got Lebron Lebron to the Lakers, but Anthony Davis to the Lakers, and they did win a title two seasons ago, so it worked out for him there. Player empowerment not only got KD to the nets, but got Kyrie there with him and Hardened there with him, and everyone except for me, thought that team was going to win a bunch of titles. What really killed Katie and Lebron is not player empowerment. It's they chose the wrong point guard. Lebron chose Russell Westbrook, and that has submarine Lakers season, even though Russ has played better as of late, and Katie chose the least reliable star in sports, Kyrie irving if those guys had just had better, you know, we're less worried about. In Katie's case, I think it was who his good friend was and instead looked at it and said, you know, looked at the Kyrie's history of health and lack of reliability and consistency, and if Lebron, I think had Lebron's never been great at evaluating who would play well with him. It's an odd thing, and I think Lebron's ego got the best of them, thinking all Russ's issues won't apply once he's with me, and obviously those issues have transcended his teammates. So I don't blame that on player empowerment. I blame that on Katie and Lebron both having a big, strong hand in who they get to play with and just making the wrong choices. If you know, player empowerment could have gotten Demarta Rosen in Russell Westbrook spot instead of Ussell Westbrook, and then the Lakers, even with all the injuries, are huge favorites to win the West. And if Kyrie, you know, whether it's the vaccine or injury, whatever it is, if Kyrie were the player is but just a more reliable person. If Katie had looked at the reliability part of it, I think Katie would be in a better spot. So No, I don't blame player empowerment. I just think they chose the wrong two point guards.
Speaker 3: All right, what's next, Let's go to the NFL. YEP, Fewer and fewer teams are needing a quarterback. Yeah, Matt Ryan went to the Colts and Mariota one of the Falcons. Yeah, Jamis stayed in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 3: Should the forty nine ers just keep Jimmy G at this point?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think they're going to keep Jimmy G. I don't think they can. I don't think it's fair to Trey Lance, and I don't think it's smart. You can't give up three first round picks for a guy and then in your two have him fighting for his job. I do think demanse they're not going to get as much for Jimmy G as they once thought they were going to get for him. I'll tell you that much that I think that they If you are looking at when they should have traded him, do you think they blew their chance to improve? Well, I don't think they. I don't think they blew it, but I don't think they maximized their chance to improve. I think that they needed to survey the landscape and realize if there's going to be a game of quarterback musical chairs, we need to make sure Jimmy G's got a seat early. Because now it's not only you know that Wentz got traded, so Washington's off the board, and Matt Ryan got traded, so Indie's off the board, and you know the russ got traded, so the Broncos are off the board. But it's also that all of a sudden, Baker Mayfield's available, and so now there's another quarterback of similar caliber to Jimmy G that is going to be in the marketplace. So I don't think they blew their chance to improve, but I think the I think that had they timed this better, I mean, Carson Wentz went for two seconds essentially, Jimmy G. I don't like Jimmy G a ton, I'm skeptical of him, especially on a bad team, but he's better than car Wentz. Are they gonna get more than two seconds for him? I don't think so. All Right, what's.
Speaker 3: Last the Sweet sixteen and Elite eighter this weekend? Yeah, Gonzaga is a huge favorite to win it all. Yep, all eyes will be on chat, yep.
Speaker 2: Do you believe he'll ever be a star in the pros? So this is tough because there chet home Grin checks so many boxes. His numbers are great, his team is the favorite. I don't think Gonzag is gonna win it all, by the way, but his seems the favorite. And if you look at even the first game they played in the tournament, I didn't think he played well at all. But then it's like you look at the numbers. I think he had like nineteen seventeen and seven blocks, Like his numbers were unbelievable. I'm going I'm gonna say something. I hope it does not hurt your feelings because this is somewhat about you. I'm gonna use you as a comp Okay.
Speaker 4: Okay, where I knew you had a ceiling as a basketball player, and you were a great player, but there was one part of your game that you just I think it was too frustrating you refuse to just dedicate yourself to your left hand dribbling your ball.
Speaker 2: And I was like, Okay, Demanse's got a better player than I ever could have been. It's gonna play college basketball, but there's going to be a ceiling because there's an obvious flaw. And it was just you were just working on other stuff. You were working on defense or were on shooting again. I feel badly for personally attacking you, but it's the truth. Here's why I bring it up. I think it is incredibly concerning that chet Holmer and won't put on weight. How long of his basketball career do you think people have been like Buddy.
Speaker 3: Putting on weight in the left hand and like, I feel like almost two different things.
Speaker 2: You think it should be easier like that it's more of an error by him than by you, is what you're saying. Yeah, I mean, yes, that's what you're saying. You're saying, putting on weight's easier than doing the drills. Guy's got a high metabolism. Okay, maybe as a high metabolism and I and I hear all these KD comps. Guys, Katie is a unicorn for a reason, and Katie's bigger than Chet, and so it is the only obvious flaw on his game is he is literally the skinniest player I've ever seen at a high level of basketball since Keith Class. Now Keith Class. That's a throwback, but somebody google him. He was once listed at seven one, one point eighty. That's a real listing he had, and Keith Class, by the way, didn't have the talent Chet does. I just I feel like the Chet needs not a sandwich, but like thirty five sandwiches. And it concerns me that he hasn't just begrudgingly gone ahead and put on the weight. That's that's I wouldn't draft him number one. I think I'd be afraid to draft him in the top three. Maybe I'll be wrong about it, but that to me looks like a potential massive flaw. That's my deep Chet holmegrin analysis. He's too damn skinny. We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jurelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Tania, and Bobby Canavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: All Right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick Right podcast and videos show. If you are listening, this is one worth finding on YouTube or Facebook wherever, because you get to see my real time facial reaction and expressions to a few minutes ago when Demanse broke the news to me that the Chiefs are letting Tyree Kill seek a trade. Now if you are this so the shows a little out of order, because you've probably already heard that and seen that. Within did what we thought was the start of the show. But before we get to what's supposed to be a fun b block where we play games and do goofy stuff, I got a few more Tyreek Kill thoughts because I am now. Demanzi said, I'm going through the stages of grief, and I think I'm in the bargaining stage now. And the bargaining stage has drawn me to the twenty twenty two NFL Draft order. Because again, by the time you hear this, this trade maybe is already complete, but as I sit here on Wednesday afternoon, it is not yet complete. And they're saying the Dolphins and the Jets are the two teams most heavily involved. Now, the Dolphins don't have a pick in the first round of the draft next year until the twenty ninth pick. The Jets, on the other hand, have the fourth pick, the tenth pick thanks to the Jamal Adams trade, they have the thirty fifth pick, the thirty eighth pick of this upcoming draft, so they have four top forty picks. So now if I am let me again, obviously the Chiefs got worse for this coming year. While every team is putting everything on the credit card, the Chiefs recognized me with the best player in football. He's gonna be enough playing football for the next decade, if the not the next fifteen years. Let's try to have long term planning about this. Can't have the highest paid quarterback and or one of the highest pig quarterbacks and the highest paid receiver, especially with the highest paid receiver maybe be on the other side of thirty. If we can get and I say we for the Kansta Chiefs honorary member, the tenth pick of the draft and next year's Jets first rounder, I'm I'm okay with it. I will be okay with it if we get the fourth in the tenth I actually think it's a good trade. Now, if you get the tenth pick and then just seconds, that's not enough for me. But you do have they can now vote get the defense better. The Mahome's gonna be great. No matter what. They need to find a way to improve the defense. They were going to not only have pay Tyreek Hill more, but even if they hadn't maad him more, he's gonna be twenty million against the cap this year. I can deal now. If they end up trading him to Miami for the twenty ninth pick in Miami's next year's first round, or when Miami could be a you know, a fringe five hundred ish team again, I won't love that. So by the time you hear this, they've traded him to the Dolphins for the twenty ninth pick and future picks. I'm not happy. Even if I go on television throughout the rest of the week and pretend I'm dealing with it. You'll know in real time as I'm processing it it's not landing right with me. But at some here here's the and I'm consistent on this. By the way, I don't always think the team that got the star wide receiver won the trade. I said I thought the Raiders gave up too much for Devonte Adams. So no hypocrisy here. Let's just see what the trade is. We can all agree that if the Jets gave up ten first round picks and give gave Tyreek forty million a year, that's a bad trade for So that's the old adage. This is a again just there. Once we agree there is a possibility that you've overpaid, then we are just negotiating on what the line is to have it be overpaid. There's an old joke involving prostitution that goes down that same you've never heard that, none of your teacher's ever told this to you, to try to logic class anything. I never heard this. Okay, I'm gonna tell you this is. By the way, it's taking a strange turn. Okay, Well, it's an old adage. I don't know who came up with it, And again, I'm not sure how twenty twenty two appropriate is. So I'm just going to say this was told to me in logic class when I was in college. Take up the complaints with the University of Syracuse University. It goes like this guy walks into a hotel lobby, sees a woman at the bar and says, I'm sorry to bother you, but would you come up to my room with me for one million dollars? And she looks at him and says, you know, I think I would, And he says, okay, would you come up to my room with me for one hundred dollars? She throws his drink in his face and says what type of woman do you think I am? And he says, well, we've already established. Now we're just negotiating. So again, inappropriate. But that's the old that's what they were. The point in the logic class, I remember when the teacher told it. Now, maybe that teacher was inspired for telling inappropriate jokes, I'm not sure, But the point is, once we all agree that there is a line, then we're just agreeing on where the line is. So now I think I'm still in the bargaining phase of the Tyreek Kill grief part of it, but everyone would agree there is a there is a level of draft compensation the Chiefs could get where it is a good deal for them. We're gonna wait and see what that is. Wait is they're breaking to know? There's not Tyreek Kill breaking news. There's Kevin Wilde's tweeting Mac Jones at the Pro Bowls saying, I like throwing to Tyree. This is so stupid. All right, let's play a game. Let's move on this or that. What's first up? Todd for this or that?
Speaker 3: Worst news for the Nets the vaccine mandate not changing or Ben Simmons herniated disc.
Speaker 2: Oh, listen, I think the worst news is Ben Simmons because they had to anticipate that the vax mandate might not change. And I don't believe it's going to change before the end of this basketball season. I do believe it will change by next basketball season, but I don't think it's going to change before the end of this basketball season. In fact, just earlier today, Eric Adams, the mayor of New York City, once again said he doesn't think it's going to change anytime soon. Ben Simmons hernia disc is incredibly concerning. How did it happen? When did it happen? When are we going to see him play again? Like that? He was the core piece that you traded James Harden for. Right, you can't have him all of a sudden. You already know what his limitations as a player are. You also know what's positive as a player are. You can't have him all of a sudden have a back issue like that's to me, that's way more concerning. All right, what's next.
Speaker 3: Better option for Indy between Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this to me is very very simple. Matt Ryan. I don't think Matt Ryan's great. That Matt Ryan is going is the best quarterback that Indy has had since Andrew Luck. I don't think that's debatable. And Carson Wentz, some of us told you that Carson Wentz was gonna be Carson Wentz, even when people are like, no, he's no longer Carson Wentz. No, he was always Carson Wentz. So the fact that you got potentially two second rounders for Carson Wentz, now you traded too much for him, trading a first round or plus to get him, but you got two second rounders back for Carson Wentz and you only had to give up a third rounder for Matt Ryan. I think the Colt should be the favorites in the NFS in the AFC South, So I think that's to me, that's not even a question. Matt Ryan's an upgrade over Carson Wentz. All right, what's next?
Speaker 3: Coach K goes out on top or is eliminated by our next show.
Speaker 2: Oh that see, So my answer would be neither, but that's not an option. My answer would be they make the final four, but they don't win it all, so I'm gonna stay eliminated by our next show. I don't think, as much as I like Boncaro, I don't think Duke is good enough to win the title. I think they should have lost to Michigan State. I think that was a bit of a gag job by Michigan State down the stretch there. So if I have to choose either he's eliminated this week in Sweet sixteen Elite eight or they win the whole thing, I'm going to go He's eliminated this weekend. So with that, Coach K and Duke is done by the next time we're on the air. All right, what's last and we haven't seen a lot of Zion in a while.
Speaker 4: Nope, let's let's check on it.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at this Instagram post here.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's look at it. Oh got that? Yeah, okay, yeah, look at that. That'll I mean, if you're by the way, if you're not watching the show. This is something Zion posted the other night to his ig. He is in a Pelican's gym, which is noteworthy. He is also wearing his new sneakers. He's shirtless, looks to be. It doesn't look as big as he looked when we saw those pictures of him in sweatsuits earlier in the year. And he threw an off the backboard alleyup to himself that he caught between his legs and did it, you know, but basically off the backboard East Bay, which would have I believed easily won the dunk contest this year. That's what we just saw. So what's the question.
Speaker 3: Is this encouraging or discouraging for Pelicans fans?
Speaker 2: So that's really interesting question. Whoever came up with that one should get a raise. I came up with it. So here's why it's incourage you could say encouraging, because it shows that he's healthy ish and it is in a Pelican's gym, so like that as opposed in being up in Portland where he was before, or up in the Pacific Northwest rehaving that's positive. The negative is and the reason it would be discouraging is why he posted this right after they ruled him out for the year, and so there seems to have been a disconnect all along between the Pelicans and Zion and the fact that Zion had gone dark as far as any communication, any videos, any anything. And then right after the Pelicans say he's not playing the rest of the season as he rehabs his foot, the fact that he then posts a video that makes it look like his foot is totally fine and puts to bed some of the concern about his weight, at least in my eyes. Now he's not slim, but he's the size he dominated the league at last year. That's discouraging. Overall. I would say it's a net win for the Pelicans Pelicans fans because I do believe he's gonna sign the mass extent MAX extension this summer, and I do think they're gonna have more time, and the biggest concern should be how healthy is he? He looks incredibly healthy right there, which is more than I can say for myself as I've had to deal with this. Tyreek Hill, I got a little bonus question for you. We have a bonus question.
Speaker 3: What's more devastating to you, Tyreek Hill or scrabble with Diora?
Speaker 2: Oh my sister. Okay, listen people, all right, So this is how we're gonna end the show. So I lost to my sixteen year old in scrabble, and you know what, I'm just gonna lash out. I apologize on the front end of this, but I'm upset you guys are trying to twist the knife on the Tyreek Kill thing. You guys didn't let me process it in real time. You made you break it to me while I was live on the air. It's not right. So here's where I'm gonna lash out. It would be devastating to lose to you and scrabble. There's no shame in losing to Toran Scrabble. I like, door is brilliant. Doora is like take your education seriously. And I lost to you and Scrabble. I do some soul searching, losing to door and scrabble I can deal with. I'm done with this show for the day and maybe forever. We'll see you next week. All right, I'm still processing the Tyreek Kill news, some of which there may be even more of by the time you guys hear and see this. But do me a favor as I deal with my hometown team that should have won the last three Super Bowls, only winning one super Bowl and now trading away their second most important offensive player reportedly like rate, subscribe review to the show on all platforms. It's the only thing that will help me sleep at night as I deal with all of this. Talk to y'all next week.