Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, we begin with the latest from the Middle East. President Trump says he is giving Iran a last chance to engage in talks after calling off what he says would have been a major attack on the Islamic Republic.
Speaker 4: I want to give him every last chance before decapitation.
Speaker 5: Very tough to do with what we have planned still planned.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens. President Trump spoke to reporters in the Oval Office. Now, Tehran denies its in negotiations with the US, but it says talks with Oman to get more ships moving through the Strait of Horror moves for making progress. We get more from Bloomberg Middle East correspondent to Birabu Olmar in Dubai.
Speaker 6: The Ron Andleman are holding negotiations to open a middle passageway in the Street of her Moves that would allow for a trickle of movement of ships and vessels that have been trying to make their way through the Strait of removes. And up until yesterday, and we've really been still seeing cargo ships attacked in the Strait of Removes, and so this negotiation that is taking place between those two countries still very much key about opening up a pathway that could help ships make their way through the waterway.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg Sabirabo Omar reports a senior Iranian official called on the US last night to quote take the first step and change its behavior by returning to the terms of the interim deal that both sides struck in June.
Speaker 2: Elsewhere in Washington, Nathan Attorney General nominee Todd Blanche's confirmation maybe moving forward in the Senate to hold out. Republican senators are bagging a deal with Blanche to formally rescind an order for a so called anti weaponization fund. And he's clarified the scope of President Trump's immunity deal with the IRS that limits it to the Tax Agency and not other agencies like the Justice Department. President Trump says he was not involved in the deal.
Speaker 7: I don't know what they agreed.
Speaker 8: I think Todd Blanche agreed to reconfirm things that he's already said, and what he said was ok.
Speaker 2: President Trump, again, speaking from the Oval Office. Administration critics say Blanche's deal still doesn't change the text of either the anti Weaponization Order or the president's immunity from audits, and the Senate Judiciary Committee has kilded a vote on Blanch's confirmation Today.
Speaker 3: And Karen elections are in focus today as well, as voters head to the polls in a handful of states. Bloomberg Zamie Morris reports from Washington.
Speaker 1: Michigan voters will decide a competitive Democratic primary that will test the party's progressive wing. Representative Hailey Stevens takes on former health official Abdul lc Ed. The winner will face former Representative Mike Rogers in November. Virginia voters will choose nominees for the House and Senate, including in the second congressional district, where there could be a rematch between two term Republican Jen Kiggins and the Democrats she unseated in twenty twenty two former Representative Elaine Luria. Primary contests are also taking place in Washington, Kansas, and Missouri. Eight In Washington, Amy Moore as Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Right, Ami, thank you. Let's turn to the markets now, where futures are higher following yesterday's gains on Wall Street, The S and P five hundred rows one and a half percent. It is now just striking distance of a record. The positive earning season is helping fuel gains. The S and P five hundred companies are beating expectations at a rate of eighty six percent. That's the highest in five years. According to Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 3: And in Earnings beats giving a lift this morning to shares a Palenteer Karen, they are up nearly seventeen percent. The software developer and major military vendor also raised its revenue and income forecasts for the full year. Palenteer CEO Alex Karp described demand for his company's data analytics tools as quote otherworldly.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan. The earnings continue today with fifty companies reporting. They include a drug makers Pfizer and Merk, as well as tech companies Advanced micro Devices and SpaceX. We get more on Elon Musks SpaceX with Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 5: It's SpaceX's first earnings report. Who's a public company? Analysts are likely to press SpaceX CEO Elon Musk on the company's newly acquired AI business and the massive spending associated with it. Julie ju is research analyst at Moffett Nathanson.
Speaker 6: What you're really going to see coming out of the numbers is you're probably going to see a feat in the AI business, and.
Speaker 2: You're also going to see continued spend in that business.
Speaker 5: Key topics could also be progress on the company's massive Starship rocket and how quickly it will be able to launch satellites and people, and plans for becoming a consumer wireless operator in New York. Charlie Pellett, Bloomberg Radio, all right, Charlie, thank you.
Speaker 3: In Europe, HSBC has announced a new billion dollars share buyback after reporting second quarter earnings that beat estimates. The bank also raised its cost saving target to two billion dollars by the end of this year. We spoke with HSBC's CEO, Georgie Henry.
Speaker 8: We are becoming the stronger bank that we set out to build. We're very pleased with what we announced this morning. We're growing across all our indicators of revenue growing or law loans and deposits are growing, our income is growing. We generated returns of nineteen and a half percent on tangible equity, so this is you know, this is a good demonstration of a strong business momentum. We're also very pleased with the progress we're making on the strategy, which we're executing with precision, with discipline, and at pace.
Speaker 3: HSBC CEO Georgia Henry also says the lender will consider boosting its bonus pool for bankers if strong performance continues. So the shares are underperforming this morning here and they're down one point six percent.
Speaker 2: Well, BP shares, Nathan, they're higher, They're up one and a half percent. The oil giants adjusted net income were then doubled from a year earlier as the Middle East wore royaled oil and gas markets. And we spoke earlier with CEO Meg O'Neil.
Speaker 9: We still have quite a bit of work to do, so I've been with BP for four months now. I'm very pleased with many of the things I've seen. It's a group of what really amazing people who are very focused on delivering the highest value for the corporation and growing shareholder value every single day. But that said, there are nificant areas for improvement. That balance sheet is first and foremost an area of challenge. You know, we're carrying financial liabilities when compared to the size of the corporation that are just too.
Speaker 2: High BP CEO Meg O'Neil so. Several companies have expressed interest in buying VP's north Sea business.
Speaker 3: And as oil companies continue to brank in record profits during the Iran warcare and President Trump is criticizing the biggest oil majors in the US, saying they are quote making too much money.
Speaker 2: Chevron too much money, ex On Mobile, too much money.
Speaker 10: When you look at one company where they made twelve times what they made the year before.
Speaker 4: They're going to give some of that back to the public, and they better cut.
Speaker 3: The retail price, the consumer price. Too much money. You surprised. I'm saying it. I'll say it loud and clear. I'm not happy about it. And that again was President Trump in the Oval office. X On Mobile and Chevron made twenty nine billion dollars combined in the second quarter. That's that mounts to about three hundred and eighteen million dollars per day, and it is more than three three times the same period a year ago.
Speaker 2: Nathan, we have a milestone for Apple, the company you said, it exceeded ten billion dollars in annual sales in India for the first time. Last fiscal year, iPhones accounted for a significant majority of the sales. India's emerging as one of Apple's key sales regions outside of the US and China, with the company steadily ramping up its retail network in the country.
Speaker 3: Karin, Amazon has become the fifth company to surpass a three trillion dollar market value, joining in Video, Alphabet, Microsoft, and Apple in that exclusive club. After the bell, it was announced that Amazon chair and founder Jeff Bezos filed to sell more than four billion dollars worth of the company's stock, and those shares are lower bound down more than one percent in the pre market.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you have a programming note here, Nathan. Bloomberg Radio is introducing a new feature exclusively for Bloomberg dot com subscribers and terminal clients. You can help shape our conversations by submitting questions for our analysts and experts to answer live on air. Subscribers can go to Bloomberg dot com slash ask Radio to send in questions and you may just hear them asked on the air. That's Bloomberg dot Com slash Ask Radio. Time Now for look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, And for that We're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 3: Michael, Good Morning, Good morning, Karen.
Speaker 7: President Donald Trump said he's upset with US Attorney Janine pirot over her efforts to dismiss charges against the man accused of vandalizing the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool. President Trump believes Piro choked when dismissing charges against US Olympic canoeist David Hernon.
Speaker 10: I was disappointed with Janine Piro, really disappointed with Janine Perro.
Speaker 4: She she folded like an umbrella.
Speaker 7: Meanwhile, Hearns's attorney said this was proof the evidence was just not there. Joshua Cole, manager of Rapid Legal Response at Democracy Defenders.
Speaker 11: Action, they finally had to face facts and face the reality that their entire case was crumbling before them, and so this is the only natural and launchical next step, regardless of how highly unusual it is for this to happen.
Speaker 7: Piros said the evidence provided by the Interior Department showed the contractor hired to replace the liner was to blame. In Michigan, state health officials say two people have died in the cyclospora outbreak. They are the first confirmed deaths in the US related to the microscopic parasite. Officials said that both had underlying health conditions, and arrest has been made related to one of the three wildfires burning in Washington State. Aaron Fernacci, who is thirty seven, was arrested last night for allegedly starting the Old Trails fire Saturday afternoon. Spokane County's Sheriff John Knowles said the blaze consumed thousands of acres and destroyed hundreds of buildings, most of them homes. Knowles says he credits an observant citizen with reporting suspicious behavior. Before seeing smoke rising.
Speaker 5: He noticed the male bending down near some grass.
Speaker 9: At that point, the male stood up and looked very nervous, according to our citizen witness.
Speaker 7: Sheriff Knowles says Farinacci will make his first court appearance today. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with the Bloomberg News Now Michael Barr and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: Thanks Michael, time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in John Stashauer.
Speaker 7: Thanks care.
Speaker 10: A lot of wheeling and dealing before the baseball trade deadline. Maybe the biggest move was Baltimore, trading away catcher Adlee Rutchman, who was once the first overall pick of the draft. A three time All star catcher, he got sent to the Red Sox. Luis Theres, a three time batting champ, goes from the giants of the Phillies, who will move Bryce Harper back to the outfield. The Mets waving the white flag on the season they traded away five different players. Mauricio Pochettino, the coach of the US men's national team in the World Cup, keeps his job. That's your Bloomberg Sports Update.
Speaker 2: Stay with us more from Bloomberg Daybreak coming up after this.
Speaker 3: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Serious Exam and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager. President Trump is delivering what he says is a final warning to Iran after calling off a major attack over the weekend to come back to the negotiating table. This is the last chance. This is not something that it doesn't happen. This is the last chance for them.
Speaker 2: To sign a good document.
Speaker 3: That was President Trump and Oval office from Markstore reporters yesterday. Joining us this morning is Mark Champion, who covers the Middle East for Bloomberg Opinion. Mark, do you see this as a potential last chance for Iran? Good morning? Good morning.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've been here half a dozen times before. I think there's you know, it's perfectly possible that President Trump will order more air strikes, you know, if the Uranians don't sign an agreement. You know, but there's a lot of kind of weirdness in here. So first of all, you know, the US says that the talks are between the US and Iran.
Speaker 3: The Uranians say they aren't.
Speaker 4: They're only talking to the omanis about a very limited deal on.
Speaker 3: You know, controlling the Strait.
Speaker 4: So exactly what the document is that you know, President Trump wants them to sign not quite clear. If it is the Yourmani document, it's going to be one that you know, gives the Iranians some control over the Strait. They've been very clear that they're not signing anything that doesn't and that's control that they didn't have before the war. And the purpose of that is a to raise money and be to maintain geopolitical leverage. So that this becomes a deterrent in their kind of you know, toolbox for dealing with other countries, for dealing with the US. Not exactly a great outcome for the US, so not kind of by definition a good document for the US.
Speaker 3: Well, one thing we have heard from the Iranians is that they want the US to, I guess, come back to the terms of the June interim deal. That seems like it's by the wayside now with these talks going on with oman What are the chances of that happening coming back to the interim deal.
Speaker 4: Well, a lot of the interim deal, you know, if the interim deal is extremely vague. So when the Iranians said we want to get back to that, they mean that we want to get back to the our interpretation of that deal. Their interpretation of that deal was that it you know, it said and it actually did say that, you know, control of the you know, the status of the Strait would be down to a negotiation between the Iranians and the Omanis and they would or you know.
Speaker 3: Create a new arrangement.
Speaker 4: But what the you know, their interpretation was that until that was all done, you know, they still got to control the straight The American interpretation was no, this is going to be free traffic, and the ergo you had, the deterioration that we had and the end of the ceasefire.
Speaker 2: In essence, this is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay in formed all day long.
Speaker 3: I'm Karen Moscow and I'm Nathan Hager. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Day ray