Speaker 1: Well, Mets fans, It's finally happened. Carlos Mendoza has been fired as the manager of the New York Mets. It's about a month and a half too late, which that's probably the most frustrating part of this. But Andy Green has been announced as the interim manager. Shot out my dad for being first to that, calling Andy Green all the way back in April when the Mets really were starting to stink it up. Andy Green could be the guy shot Big Mark. But Carls Mendoza error is over, and it was not a good one. No, it was not a good one. There's We're gonna have two kind of parts that we talk about with Carlos mendoza firing. One is the fact that I think he was a poor manager. Who is the fact that there's no way this was all his fault. Both of those things can be true right now. I think if you take a scroll on Twitter, you would think Carlos Mendoza like spent his free time. I don't know, like mother Teresa. Yeah, like I can't even imagine what he was doing that maybe we don't know about. Maybe the there's a lot he was doing that we'll know about. Maybe that'll all come out. I'm excited for what's going to come out. Can't because now we're going to get some great anonymous quotes sourcing articles. Whenever Will Salmon or Anthony Dicomo decides to write the next book, that's going to be amazing with great quotes from Carlos Mendoza here. But I think that's the story, is that even even the game last night, let's talk anecdotally, just briefly, there was a golden opportunity in the fifth inning. Left handed Matthew Boyd is being taken out of the game because Mark Fiantro's coming to the play. Mark Fiento's for all of his sports, demolishes left handed pitching, absolutely demolishes them. There is a runner on first I think Solo has just drawn a walk or had a single, bringing the righty to face Fientos, and you have Jared Young sitting on the bench. Jared Young has become the starter for this team against all right handed pitching at first base sometimes the age sometimes corn rautfield and the situation where every single game where one of the pitcher with that hands and it starts the game and Jared Young gets the playing time, gets the played appearances he does. In this situation, Marfanti is a horrible at bat, go into the field the first play. The next inning, Ryan Breshow doesn't make the best throw from shortstop, which again he's starting a short stop anyway, and Mark Fianto's on a pick, closed his eyes, moves his head out of the way, and just lets the ball clank off the heel of his glove. Let's a big inning happen, Mets to lose the game, and then Jared Jones comes up next time. Mark Fiantros comes to the plate against the right hander hits a home run. Yeah. Now, the process we've always talked about with Carlos Mendoze, even when things went well, was head scratching. We didn't think he was a particularly good in game manager. It felt like a lot of times there was the feel was very broken. It didn't seem like the feel ever particularly made sense. We really hated how much he shuffled around the lineup so much in terms of where guys were hitting, and he loved pressing the button of oh you're struggling, now you go to the leadoff spot. There's a lot of things that can be said about Carlos Mendoza's tenure as a manager. But I think ultimately, at the end of the day, the Mets were extremely disappointing as an organization, as a team performance wise when Carlos Mendoz was on the field. And I know a lot of people are going to bring up twenty twenty four, but I think it's really important to remember that it took a Latin pop star and JD Martinez getting onto this team for the Mets to completely turn it around. That beginning of the season was an absolute disaster. There's too many ebbs or ups and downs. It's not an ebb and flow because that's a little bit different, but there's too much up and down. It was too much of a roller coaster. Carlos Mendoza was extremely steady with his emotions, but in terms of performance, the Mets were anything but that. Yes, and kind of like you said, even the magical year twenty twenty four, this team started poorly. The Mets didn't have a consistent season under Carlos Mendoza, and maybe that's kind of futile to expect a consistent season. Baseball is a game built on randomness. One hundred and sixty two games in the season. It just never felt like the team really responded to him in a way that was beneficial to winning. I think they responded to him a lot as a person. As a man, I think they respected him and really liked him as that seems like a great dude. Like all the stuff that we say about him as a manager has nothing to do with Carlos Mendoza the person. And I don't think this team ever quit on Carlos Mendoza. I never saw blatant issues with effort, even in the disaster game on Wednesday night that we gave you guys emergency episode after last time, it was one of the worst baseball games we've ever seen a team play. It wasn't effort, it was sucking. Big difference there, huge difference. It was being bad at baseball, not not wanting to play baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think if there was ever something to talk about in terms of the players and Mendoza, the connection between the two, it just felt like there was a lack of preparedness at times. It felt like this team played hard, but sometimes they weren't ready to play the game that was in front of them. Whether it was the preparedness at the plate for the pitchers that are coming into the game, or defensive positioning, or even just something again as simple as there was six errors in a baseball game. That doesn't happen at the little league level in games, and that happened for a professional baseball team. The players were not put in situations to be the most advantageous or successful. I don't think they're the most prepared. I don't think they were the sharpest. And at some point it does have to fall on the manager and for everybody saying, well, David Stearns, David Stearns, David Stearns, we'll talk about that a little bit more later. He's not going to fire him, So the manager is always going to be the first pin to fall. Now, all the pressure knows go to David Stearns about what this team can look like moving forward. But Carlos Mendoz, I think we can objectively say did not do a good job as the manager of the New York Mets. He's two hundred and six and one ninety nine. Totally. Both guys did the poor job heading into this season, absolutely true. And I do think that there's something about organizational structure here. This isn't Mets specific. There is everywhere where. The manager is going to have to eat a lot of shit for the executive because the executive built the roster. The mager can just play the roster, and then the executive probably can have to eat some shit for the owner because we don't know exactly the directives they're getting from up top. Apparently there's non dishes. Everything goes together, so you're always eating shit for the person above you. So I guess that also gives you more slack, which is why I kind of thought that we might have gone through this whole season. Mendoza may have not gotten fired, But what we say from Harpers Hits the other day, like all that shit was happening, and Mendoz looking numb on the top step like he did kind of look numb for the last month. I think he knew he was a dead man walking. He looked this entire season. He looks him last year too, And I feel like at times like you do want that steady hand, you want that e and keel guy, right, But for a team that so desperately seemed to need a spark so many different times, even in the season of twenty twenty four, their most successful season that they had. You can point to a moment where they literally had this huge spark, this this massive thing happened and it turned things around. And it seems like this team and this organization, whether for good or bad, needs that. And Mendoza is not that guy either.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I mean, but also, are there that many guys like that in the league anymore? Are there many raw round managers left? Might not be? I mean, I think Pat Murphy's a guy who can get some people go, and I think he's got to. He's also a big softy. He well, yeah, he's a softy. But I do think like the and something that we've talked about, and maybe me so more so than that, is I don't necessarily know how much of like a leader of men Carlos Mendoza is. It seems like Carlos Mendoza was a very player manager focused and I think there is totally space in baseball for player managers. We've seen them work in the past, but you do at some point need to hold these guys accountable. And even the fact that Mark Viento started at first base after having a two error game when Wagman is there, like Wagaman probably should have just started just simply off the thing of Hey, Mark Vento's unacceptable play. We have to see if somebody else has got it, and he couldn't do that.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 4: Sea Geek is MLB's official ticket marketplace, and in addition to finding every single game on the MLB calendar, there are big events coming up very soon.
Speaker 2: There's an All Star game. There's a home run derby. And if you think you're perfect and you can pick the right seat at the home run Derby to get the most home run balls, you can get the little green dot and that might be your lucky seat. Don't go red dot, though, because you might not get any balls, but go redgreen dot and get as many home run balls as you think you can catch.
Speaker 4: Yep, you click the seat, you check out what your view is. Each ticket's rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. And that's what AJ's talking about. Green good, red bad. With those dots and the code for you territory one zero for ten percent off your next set of tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB ticket with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode that'll help you download the app and get the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later. Thank you to Zekeek.
Speaker 1: And those first few at bats. Yeah, we're terrible, and he takes out of bad against the arriety. It is just the small things of not similarly understanding the leverage, doing a little bit of mavericking, trusting his gut. Yeah, aps over and over again. But these are the things that us Mark and I gave Mendoza credit for when things worked out two years ago. As a manager with fields manager knows what the trust his gut turns out, that's a hard thing to rely on over and over again. Yes, and we'll probably never really know, or at least until the articles come out next Monday, about what the spread was in lineups and decision making processes between the front office and the manager here. But there were a lot of decisions that were made, and we talked to them about you with you guys every single week that were like, there's no one who would make that decision if they had numbers in front of them. It helps career in twenty twelve, twenty five, coming in out part of the All Star Break, first pitcher out of the All Star Break in a close game, Alex Carrio, and again things like not pinch hitting Mark Fianto's against the ride of the day before, things like you said, having Mark Fiandas in the lineup, like it seems like maybe that could have been a sticking point as well, sticking with your guy Mark Fianto's because you were there, you were his manager for the breakout season, and you're hoping that guy comes back. I could see that having been a pressure point, a wedge between Carlos Mendoza and David Stearns, while also understanding that probably a lot of these moves did come from David Stearns. We'll never know about all the horrible lefty lineups the Andy of Bania at the Austin Slater time in May, like, we don't know who was making those decisions. I'm assuming that was David Stearns. There's probably some kind of conversation about what was happening lineup every single day, but just regardless, it was time for this to happen. Yeah, No, it was time, and I think it was time A month ago might have been a time almost two months ago. Might have been time. By the end of last season, when the Mets had an absolutely catastrophic second half collapse and couldn't get anything going. At the end of the day, Carlos Mendoza started off with an absolutely bang, and it's been worse and worse and worse and worse ever since. And he just simply cannot be the manager of the New York Mets any longer. No, he's not the manager of New York Mets any longer. No, No, it's Andy Green now.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: And quick recap of Andy Green's credentials here right off to Wikipedia. He led the Missola Osprey to the Pioneer League Championship of twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, led the Mobile Bay Bears to consecutive first second half titles, Southern League Manager of the Year twenty fifteen. Guys first job in the Major League bench their base coach at Diamondbacks. Then he was the Padres manager for a few years. He was don't look at their records, don't look at their records. Not a very good time. But he was the first, wasn't he the first Preller manager? The second he might have been, Yeah, and that twenty nineteen team that would have been Tatis, right, that would have been Tatis Rokie year. That twenty fifteen team, that was when they went ballistic though they had the first crazy offseason with Preller. Yeah he yeah, and he came in for twenty sixteen Andy Green, that was his first year managing the Padres. Oh yeah, okay, so maybe it was the second the second Preler year after the team completely fell apart into fifteen and he had to trade everybody that retrade everybody. Then he was fired from that job. And then he was a bench coach for the Cubs, and then he's been in our front office. Yeah. No, he's been working player development side, I believe, senior VP of player development. Yes, and he has experience. People you know, sometimes don't like these first time managers, even though a lot of these the ones I know he's not, so there you go, can't be mad about that. He's also interim in the season's over, so whatever. Andy Green was probably just the guy who wanted to manage his team, honestly, right, And this probably is about one Andy Green having a good relationship with David Stearns. These two guys working together closely, with Green being the VP of player development is probably also going to be about Green now in the second half of this team, playing this roster in a player development style. I was going to say, developing the players at the major league level, which is something that we have seen some inconsistencies with for the Mets, especially with just playing time for some of these guys that are trying to develop. And this this season is over Patent Lee speaking, and we can say that very openly, especially after getting just swept by the Cubs, after losing two straight to the Phillies. This latest six game losing streak the official final nail in the coffin absolutely no chance this team makes a playoff run. So this is about seeing who's going to be here in twenty twenty seven, who's real and who's fake. This is the last gasp of air for Brett Baty and Ryan Marazio still with the final options definitely as trade chips. This is seeing what's going what's going with Bobaschet, What are you going to do? How goods Jared Young, what's gonna happen with Eric Wagerman, Whether we gonna get out of bench and you wing? No, I'm serious, because that's it's actually going those guys are actually absolute candidates for the roster next season.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just insane to say out loud, like we're talking about the twenty twenty six Mets and I heard you just say out of your mouth on video. Gotta see what Eric Wagaman could look like. It's an insane world we live. And yeah, to the game yesterday and everything changed on the dime, Like those two guys should be a first base right now. It should be no more. Marek Viento's should not play again. Mark Vianto's can definitely play against lefties because he still hits them well, but there has to be a l a lot of manicuring of when he comes in out of games because he can't hit righties and he can't play defense at any position. And again, that may have been the final nail in the coffin, say in terms of Carls Mendoz's decision making, because I was there with my whole family. It's like, why in the world's Mark fiancee is getting to that bad against rity. There just can't be a reason for this. No, it did it again from a process standpoint, it made absolutely zero sense. But yeah, Carls Mendoza's and it wasn't good, should we? So we switch the conversation now to the sentiment online. Yeah, definitely, bullshit's going on on the internet right now, just patently speaking bullshit. You're seeing every beat reporter, every media person and this and that, like you mentioned early on, like was Carlos Mendoza mother Teresa, Because the way that his firing now is being talked about in the media when it's so obvious he should have been fired. It was obvious a month ago. This team lost twelve straight games, they're fifteen games out of first place in the NL East. Like, there has never been a more obvious firing than this one right now. And it's being talked about as if the team had all the success in spite or not, because I shouldn't say in spite all the success in Carlos Mendoza was a part of every reason for that. Yes. Also, these are people in the media who had dated day relationships with Carlos Mendoza. Yes. And when your friend gets fired from like the coolest job your friend, the best job your friend's ever had, you're like, oh, I feel bad for my friend. And also there is like I said before, there's the push and pull between Mendoza and David Stearns, where David Stearns freezes every single one of these media people out consistently, doesn't seem to really give them anything, seems he seems that he had horrible answers the other day. He seems to make their job more difficult on absolutely not even day by day basis, hour by hour basis. So it makes tons of sense to absolutely cop for the guy that you liked more, that treated you with more respect than the other guy. I do love. Just also, hearing how David Peterson talks with the Cubs starts six weeks ago, we didn't hear a peep about it, you know, drives these media people absolutely insane that they can't get a morsel of a leak from the New York Mets front office. A big reasons for part David sertins. But the thing that does bother me again is the revisionist history stuff that also goes on here, like John Haman going on MLB Network and mentioning incorrectly unless he was being tongue in cheek, but I don't think he has that kind of juice to him where he said Luis Robert, Well, Luis Robert and Jorge Polanco have never been injured. I surely that has to be sarcastic, but he didn't have a sarcastic tone to it. Then also talking about how the Mets were given in Carlos Bondoza was given an awful roster this year, when I'm pretty sure we have articles from Hayman in the offseason talking about all the great moves that they made, everybody doing this and even passing did it yesterday to about that the entire Mets season has been at Litany in an error, when I believe Jeff passion and talked about how the Mets were like one of the five teams that could win a World Series this year. It's just it's crazy how there is a lot of revisionist history when this happens, and we've seen it happen with these guys too, like when Jared Porter got hired and stuff like that. But Nicky, Yeah, yeah, at the end of the day, it was a failure of a season. It is a failure every season. David Sturts deserves Yeah, two fires seasons, Yeah, two failures season. David Sturtns deserves a ton of Flack. It's a lot of his fault. He's made a lot of very bad decisions, decisions that have backfired. But to pretend like the decisions when they were made were being lauded and then now because they didn't work, it's like, Wow, yeah, we actually knew that this was going to be the case.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan duel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast asked to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash Podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opten required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount see terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: And also the fact that thinking about leverage for a second, one guy's a five year deal, one guy doesn't have any more years on his contract. Yeah, that's it. The one guy with the more time, the more guaranteed money committed to him, is going to stay longer. So I could a fire himself. The whole season was really weird from the jump. When carlsmindows it kept his job, it was every single coach around him got fired. Some who left on their own accord. Some we want to bring back and didn't come back. Some we didn't want to bring back, some we did fire. And now you have and the team with entyler new roster, a staff with all new coaches, but the same guy standing in the middle. It just didn't make any sense. It was difficult for him, I'm assuming to earn true, honest respect. The team completely lacked accountability. They never looked prepared. It was the whole thing just felt bad the whole time. Again, it's not all Carls Mendoza's fault, but sit here and say it's not his fault at all. It's crazy, that's disingenuous. Yeah, Like we did our blame pie video the other day. What would give Mendoza thirty thirty five percent? I think something like that, and I think that's totally fair. Like even talking to a shout out our British friend Kieran who he was like asking me more like, what can the manager's role be in on the Gaplin? Yeah, I was explaining to him like how baseball isn't tactical like these other sports, but they do still have an impact. It is just at a different level. And Carlos Mendoz's impact that he had the decisions that he could made, he just didn't really make the right decisions almost Ever, here's another part of it. To judge this and my dad and I did this on the train yesterday because we smelled it in the air after the double heather on Wednesday. Yeah, of course, can you remember, first you can cross Mendoza gets another MLB managerial job. I don't. Can you remember the last former Mets manager to get a job in managing managing a professional Major league baseball team after managing the Mets. Oh god, all right, let me do this from memory. Let me try to go through then real quick. So it was Mendoza, then Buck, so Buck hasn't gotten one. Then it was Techning carls Peltron, he's not goett one. Then it was Mickey Callaway, he's never getting another one. Before Mickey was Terry, Terry's not getting another job. Before Terry, it was Jerry Manual, Oh yeah, And then oh, he didn't get another job managing. And then it was Willie Randolph, he has gotten another job managing. And then before Willie Randolph it was Hard how and he hasn't gotten another job managing. And before him it was So it was Bobby Valentine. It was Bobby Valentine. What happened with Bobby Valentine got another job managing. He got fired very quickly because he was not fit to manage because players were drinko Beardy and chicken wings in the clubhouse. Oh god, So we have this long standing record of not bringing managers up but getting the guys who kind of are on their last stint. Again, that's not changed in the Steve Colle, Louis Rojas for got Louis Rojas. He hasn't gotten hired either, but he also got it in a weird situation. Yeah, he also got their base coach shops, so that's something. Yeah, but it's it's that's kind of the measure right now. Like I don't think he gets the job again, and I think that he kind of Carls Mendoza showed that his in game decision making was brutal. He didn't have a team prepared fundamentally, and again, a lot of that reflects on the players, but manager multiple years and again even we talked about this, a lot of the lack of cohesion with this team in the early part of the season does kind of have to fall on Carlos Mendoza, like you have all winter and all spring. The coaches were all new and it was bad and again, very difficult situation for you to succeed in, completely almost entirely set up to fail this year, Carlson Joda specifically, But you're gonna be great manager, you gotta overcome that, and that that's probably not that fair to him, but it just wasn't overcome. And that is something like that happened, and it sucks. But it's true. You also just like can't have the same record as like the Los Angeles Angels and expect to keep your job, and how every game it was an in game decision. We're like, what's going on? There were weeks at the time where Devin Williams didn't pitch, like it was hard to manage the pinch hitting, the abs challenges have not even improved, really, Nio that as the season's gone on, like over and over again, there were things that were like, Okay, if there was a good manager here, I think this would be handled differently, and it wasn't. So at some point you have to look in the mirror and be like, I think this might not be a good manager. Yeah, And unfortunately for Carls Mendoza, that I believe is the case. And we will find out if he ever gets hired again. Well, we'll see what the rest of the league thinks about him. But I do think that this is his last managerial job, and that should tell you everything about what everyone else thinks about this manager outside of the Mets world. I think we'll get another job job, yeah, just just not a MLB manager job unless it's the Angels. Maybe when they fire Kurt Suzuki after his one year contract. Another one here, Steve Phillips is not carlsmon Dooz's fault. I thought this was a clumsy roster from the start. Why didn't you say that March Steve Steve Phillips Actually, oh he did. Steve Phillips was a hater of the Mets from the start, because I remember being like, we shouldn't listen to this. Definitely don't google Steve Phillips on Wikipedia and see what his history is. But at broken clocks, Yeah, broken clocks right, twice a day. I've done it a couple of times. Yeah, it is again saying the ross is clunky fair. That was being way too rose color coming into the season and thinking this roster was much better than it was. Also the fact that I think it was Michael Barrion was like he's rotated through six first basement. It's like, okay, yeah, that's not really a reason that the manager should not be at fault because there were a couple of different first basement that you played all season. Like, that's just kind of how God if Pete Amso was on this team. We have thirty eight wins. Yeah, with a few more wins, for sure, a few more wins. We're thirty eight and forty four, probably a little bit closer to the wildcard race, but also probably still so might be looking to trade Pte Alonzo if he took a contract with opt OUTSW. I'm getting insane takes, and much the time I don't want to read that one. No person who No, the takes are legitimately horrendous right now that I'm seeing from the media. I think that it's crazy that we can't have these two things be true, like we said very very early on this episode, and is probably how we're gonna leave you. Two things can be true. Carlos Mendoz is a bad manager. David Stearns has done a bad job as the president of Baseball Operations. Both things can be true. David Stearns won't fire himself first. No, absolutely, it's very hard to say that both of those are not true. Yes, it would be impossible, very impossible to say that both of those are not true. And this is also thankfully I think again, like I said before the final nail on the coffin, I think that Steve Conan now committing to selling Yes, so it's I'm very excited to sit now. I'm not excited to south the deadline, but I'm happy to salvage is the lost season any possible way we can in any way whatsoever, playing for twenty twenty seven. Let's see what we got going into next year. Let me let me get excited about something next Season'll just make make make player development the focus the rest of the year. See who's gonna be on the twenty twenty seven teams? See Andy Green can actually be your manager next season? We said, or if he even wants, if he might like the player development job, and he's like, ah, whatever, back this back to the front office. Definitely funny for now. Again, all these coaches looking around probably smell blood in the water coming to this job in the winter. I mean, like, god damn it. Well, they also didn't do a good job, so they shouldn't be promoted. They shouldn't be given this opportunity at all either. So now we might have to reset the coaching staff entirely for the second season in a row, which is a very difficult thing. I kind of had the thought yesterday too about why this team has struggled so much, all these first time coaches in these positions could be trying to do a little too much too quick, trying to change, or not knowing what to do now that we went to do it like, it's just a lot of And again it's not like Carls Mendoza's like the most experienced manager in the world. This wasn't like lou Penela in the two thousands, an entire book show Walter No No, No, managing like a silly Tampa Bay Race team. I was trying to go over the hump for the first time. Like this was a lot of people who trying to learn what they were doing on the fly. And that probably was another mistake by David Stearns. Big mistake by David Starts again set up to fail. Still didn't do a good job. Carls Mendoza. Carls Mendoza has been fired. That's what we've got. If you're expecting more, I mean, we've been waiting for it for months, So I just don't have the juice to scream and yell about how excited I am. But let's see what the Mets got. Philly's coming up later today. They're they're going to beat the piss out of us. I mean, this team is so bad, like watching his team to the baseball last night. I just so bad. I gotta one show the bibblehead on Thursday and I walked into stadium six forty five. That's so bad. It's good Bobblehead Too's get a little little brabblehead rocks great, great bobbleheads. But yeah, back in the team. I was gonna put it up before. I assume we did the episodes this afternoons. I enough time too, because we did this like right, real quick. But that's all we got for you guys, right, nothing else, I said. I'm good, Thank you guys for watching. Subscribe to mets UFF if you're listening to us, appreciate you. Download the podcast. We'll catch on the next one. Beas Out, beast Out, It's called mets.
Speaker 3: A. Then loves, then love and then love the love