Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: My graduates from my school being false back drop drop, Mike, drop back drop drop.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, welcome back, e y Eli. This is a highly requested episode and something that has been asked for for a long time and one of the biggest topics in financial literacy no matter what area you're working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but before we get started, we gotta let him in on the breaking news alert. All right, so, earners, the time has come, eylu grad School is here, and you know how we bringing it. Over one hundred past webinars, weekly webinars from industry experts, monthly financial planning calls, wiver shot, our movie and book club, access to our private investment group on Facebook, and we've just added the home based Blueprint Value one reloaded from our brother MG, the Boy's Guy, which has over twelve hours of content to guide you through the process of buying a home with a number of home buying programs to get you through the process, y'all. And in addition to that, you now have access to our weekly mentorship calls for all things real estate, hosted a game by brother MG. It's an amazing package. We put it all together. We can't wait for you to see it and be a part of it. And right now it's fifty percent off. So you got to do is head over to eyl University dot com. You're gonna get fifty percent.
Speaker 4: Off student loans, student loans is a huge, huge, huge thing. I believe it is, correct me if I'm wrong. One point nine billion dollars student loan debt total in America. So millions of people are crippled by student loans. Millions of parents have to make decisions whether they you know, sending their kids to high course college and have to you know, put that type of burden on them. Millions of young Americans, young people have to decide early on. They have to make, you know, crucial decisions that might affect their life for the rest of it, the rest of their life as far as you know, going to what college they're going to go to, how much student loan they're going to take out, and then when they graduate, it's a whole bunch of stuff as far as you know, paying it back and how they pay it back, and how it affects their credit score, and how does it affect trying to buy home. So we haven't talked about student loans too much. A few episodes. We kind of just told stories about student loans.
Speaker 2: I think early on I gave my student loans earlier episodes.
Speaker 4: Sure, but we haven't actually like broke it down student loans in like details so we brung in the best in the business to do that.
Speaker 2: The best.
Speaker 4: Sonya lewis also known as a Student Loan Doctors, So she's the CEO and the first African American woman owns student loan repairment repayment company in the United States of America. She's been featured on Forbes Money Magazine, Essence, Black Enterprise, and now in the Bio. And it's crazy because she actually also taught a class for Ey University that was incredible. I listened to that while I was preparing for this and we actually met years ago, so you never know how life is going to, you know, come back three sixty. You know, me as a financial advisor, I used to do speaking engagements every once in a while, you know, and kind of talk about investing and insurance and stuff like that. And a group had actually asked me to come in to speak in New York and the city and one of the other speakers was none other than Sonya And that's the first time and she literally she rocked it. She rocked it, and she she broke down student loans, she broke down repayment options, she broke down everything. And that's the first time that we had connected and that was years ago.
Speaker 3: Probably you remember that it was my first big I don't even know if it was big, but gig outside of Philly.
Speaker 5: I took it so serious. I got some T shirts.
Speaker 4: Joy Yeah, you had, you had your I had some more. Some workers with you too, volunteers.
Speaker 2: We thank them, we thank I.
Speaker 4: Remember not excellent. So now you know she's blown up on social media and she's become the authority on Stuart Loans and you know, we have a little known podcast that little people will listen to every how it's good to you know, it's good to it's good I appreciate that. So it's good to link back up. So first and foremost, thank you for joining us. Appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm excited to be here. I really really am. I really am so one. Thank you for both for having me. I've been listening to the podcast, and when I first listened to it, I'm listening to his voice, like I know that nothing have a trigger to go look up the voice and I you just moved so quickly. So then I think it was Instagram and I've seen his face. I'm like, I know that face. It's iked my girlfriend, Like have you ever listened to E Y L Denise and she's such a fit and she's actually really mad that she's not here with me today. How I got sick?
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 5: So but yeah, so I was like, oh no, I said, do you remember the engagement I had way way before? And she said, oh yeah. I said, well he's that's samn. She's like, oh wow. So I just think that it's really important that when you meet people, want to be nice to them and be kind to them. I was really really blown away and impressed with the child from the very very beginning when he spoke and I was like, well, wait a minute. After I drove for Philly, I knew I know for a fact, I was tired because it was nighttime NIME. I was like, I don't know, if you know, if I had like a lot of energy that night, but I was on like three, what's gonna do? Give it? And I totally like when I got home, I was like, you know, totally out of it, but I'm excited to be here none the less.
Speaker 4: Sure, so let's jump into it. So how did this start? How did you become the student loan doctor? How did that have?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I was broke, yes, Sorry, anybody starts up than that, know. So what happened was I was in a financial literacy course at church and it was really after either of my grandmother passing, and you ever realized, like, if that person, whoever is your person in your life goes, you don't have no person anymore, and who could you call it asks for help support? So that was my grandmother. So I'm like, oh this, I could really be one check away. You know. I was living real dangerous overdrafted on overdraft. It was. It was not good. And the thing is I wasn't It wasn't like I wasn't making money. I think at that time I was early twenties, making like sixty a year and that's good with no responsibilities living in Philly, you know, it's fine. But I was just really really behind check to check at that point because I was trying to keep up with people. And so I put myself to this class and the one topic the teacher kept going around was student loan deck. Now that is my profect. Actually no background, so I've worked in the university. I guess at this point where were at twy so like going over twelve years at this point I connected with the university, and so I knew what to do, like I knew how to help people. I knew how to advise people. It's just that I felt like everybody else knew that too. I don't know if that makes sense. I felt like student loans, like, oh, all you got to do is but when you come to find out is a lot of people don't know about their student loans, don't want to know about their student loans, or they're really upset that they have student loans. And so I just started giving out some free knowledge at church. But what had happened was after the church class, people start coming into the church. Because the church is right there by Temple University, they start coming in. Yeah, North Philly. They start coming in, So, so can we speak to the young lady about loans. I'm like, no, wait a minute, that's me, but I gotta go home now. So I was helping people after church. I'm going to say for a few hours, right, and then I'm like, Jesus say say to do this for free? Now that word I still haven't heard heard their word. So I was like, well, you know what, because I can't charge in the Lord's house, So I said, well, less met at the Cozy in the corner Baker. I had two locations in Philly because you know people don't like travel.
Speaker 2: Cozy, that's a good meaning spot. What's the cozy is like it's like an eatery, like it has like benches. It's like an upscale I guess Starbucks, which is no coffee, which is fool. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I had my marriage cause I had marriage counseling in everybody used its good place.
Speaker 5: And bother you now Corner Bakery. I did have to flirt with the manager. Never cashed it on that date. I needed the corner booth with the plug. Okay, it's just lot of strategic plenty. You got do You got to get there by six and I left. I think they closed at ten, and then the weekends I would be there from nine to nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think at.
Speaker 5: That time I was charging like what thirty forty an hour. I didn't know about business. I just knew I was going to sit here for free. And it wasn't a real business chip. But literally, y'all, when I tell you, nobody missed their appointment, like that's kind of unheard of, Like no one missed their appointment for weeks and so what I did ultimately was was, you know, I got a scheduler. I started looking at office spaces. I'm like, well, if I get this many clients and I go up to this price. So then that's when all that entrepreneurship start started to like kick in. I got to read this book, you know, so I had to learn a lot, just because I didn't want to lose momentum on what was happening. And I didn't really, like I said, I want to sit there all day, but then you know, we can go from the story from there. But that was really the catalyst. I just wanted to help people. I knew I wasn't going to do it too much longer for free, but I think even when I was doing forty an hour, it really paste out more than what I was making at work. And now I'm looking at my work calendar like I'm not going to be able to be here much longer, Like I need to take off this day because if I could get these appointments in and the match just wasn't adding up.
Speaker 2: So did the knowledge and the subject area come from your experiences of dealing with so long?
Speaker 5: Okay, I was helping adults in college college's college. Okay, I was helping them in college understand their financial a package. We had to literally because their adults coach them in it, like two to four years. This is what your payment could look like. You know, are you okay with coming to school paying this because you know this payment is coming. So I was able to already teach that because that's what I didn't do every day for work. Yeah, okay, And I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: That was a yeah. I just remember being on campus and like had no idea what financial aid was and signing all these papers that were a lot of money. I had no idea what interest was. I didn't know what a co signer was. I just know like, yo, this is that's what we got to do to make it happen at school.
Speaker 5: So because we worked with adult learners, we had a responsibility I feel like, well we felt like at their school to teach and tell people because you know, think about it, when you're eighteen, you got a little while off. You might be a mom for a bit dad, but when you're an adult were already with bills. We kind of felt like we had a responsibility to tell people up front.
Speaker 2: That's a good population too. And I mean I've been in classes with the older students and it's like there were more focused because they knew that their time was limited as we were just sitting there like I can't wait for this be overs as a party leader.
Speaker 5: No, the ones with the highlighters with three you know exactly exactly like I'm gonna bea that student one day.
Speaker 4: Like all of the tricks and stuff, like everything you learned, you just you already knew that from your job or you just really just googled everything and just studied your life away.
Speaker 5: Well, so the job taught me a lot. But once I decided this is going to be my real dis like when I decided to lead my job, I started going to different conferences that was given by the Department of Education. Some conferences call some conferences were free. But like I would say, twenty fifteen through seventeen, I was at like every conference the Department Education or affiliated therewof the colleges therewove would have, I would be right there. And the very beginning I couldn't afford those conferences, so I would be on the volunteer committee and I would be on the welcome booth. I had a strategy I would be on a welcome booth for four hours and do could you're the rest of the conference for free? Had to get there, I mean, and then I was like, well, what girlfriend? Do I know? In DC? I mean, it was real, like you know, but I just really had a clear envision. I was never confused about what I wanted this to be. I just needed to not give up with myself.
Speaker 2: If that makes sense, Perfect sense.
Speaker 4: All right, So now you got the backstory, and we'll talk more about the branding and all that how you turned into a business. But let's let's dive into it as far as the meat and potato. So I got questions, I'm sure got questions. But the first question I want to ask is shout out to MG, the mortgage guy. I'm not sure if you saw the posted he did, but that was something I got a lot of traction on our on our page, and we posted and he said something to the to the effect that if you have to do a loan debt, not to do an FAHA loan or a conventional loan trying to buy a home first time home buyers, but to do an iv R, which I think it stands for income based repayment, So it got a lot of traction and people was asking like, what is the iburo? What does this mean? Can you decode this? So can you decode that a little bit?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that really should be IDR. So IDR is basically the collection of different plans that are based on your repayment. So IBr is one repay pay in ICR. When Biden comes into office, the question is will Biden at a fifth plan or replace those plans with one plan? So that's what we're about to see. So right now, and this is really cool, and this is the best time that anybody with a lot of student loan that should be buying a house before laws change. When Republicans are in office, there are so many caveats and little programs and tricks that still get people to buy right. But when Democrats get in office, programs get closed down, shut down, they get very very conservative. So I'm a little nervous, just to be quite honest, with Biden taking office that the which you just announced is going to go away. So if that is the case, if you're watching this in real time, you might want to get your stuff together so you can get a home. So basically, if you have your loans on an income driven repayment plan. So right now, it's messing everybody up because we're in the Cares Act until January thirty.
Speaker 2: First, yes, yes, but it is.
Speaker 5: Messing some people up to buy a home because they would literally have to come out of that plan and go into repayment.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: And so let's say, for example, somebody's loans were normally seven hundred a month. Well, seven hundred a month is a lot, like you already got a mortgage, right, So but then let's say based off of their income and their household size, they can get their loan down to two hundred a month. So which one on paper would you rather have? Two hundred to seven hundred two hundred? So two hundred is what a mortgage lender can use when looking at your debt to income ratio. But the caveat is you have to have my opinion over a seven to twenty credit score. Now, some people say seven hundred, but I account for them checking your credit and it going down. So and the reason that is is because conventional loans, the better your credit, the better you'll get in terms of your interest rate and less money you have to put down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I laughed when you said the cares that because most people know if you owe student loan that you only there's no interest being charged up until the thirty first of January of twenty twenty one, and so that's an issue. But I actually knew about those replayment plans. They actually, you know, I own suit or a little bit a little bit.
Speaker 4: Can we even talk about that? For even people that have it might already know. But let's say kids are listening to it that's in college or they trying to make a decision. So it's the I cry the IV we can talk about.
Speaker 2: I was actually gonna go there. So the fourth it was paid repay, the IBr and ICR. The reason I found out is because when I was trying to get a loan forgiveness plan, I wasn't part of one of those, right, and so I got declined yes, and I was like, wait, what is this? And so yeah, can you go into the depth of the parameters of these, So.
Speaker 5: Let's go through it. So Obama, the Obama administration gave us the pay and the repay plan. So pay came out first. And that's for those that have new loans or newly consolidated loans in the direct loans program, you're payment is kepped at ten percent. Repay came out like because people went off, they were like upset, like, so I can't get my payment's lower. So then they came out what's called repay that said, if you just have a direct loan, doesn't have to be newly consolidated, you can get ten percent too, although more is forgiven over time under the pay plan than the repay plan. The IBr plan is the old fashioned income based repayment plan that everybody knows, and anybody listening should check their loans to see which plan they normally are under. Most people never switch out and they could actually lower their payment by going to repay from IBr.
Speaker 2: So you have based on how much you make, will determine how much you're gonna have to pay.
Speaker 5: Yes, so IBr is at a fifteen percent margin. ICR is at a twenty percent repayment. And if anybody's listening, they will write down if they had parent plus loans some such. You teach you, I want to write it out over No, No, I'm like okay, So ICR is twenty percent. Now, what Biden is proposing is the plan that they're saying he's coming out with will be at five percent. So some people are really going to see a good win.
Speaker 4: In terms of five percent of your of.
Speaker 5: Your expectation to be able to repay back loans.
Speaker 4: So if you borrow one hundred thousand, you only have to pay back five thousand.
Speaker 5: Oh no, five percent of your income.
Speaker 2: So the income five thousand, okay, right, So like if somebody had was making one hundred thousand, like with a teacher salary in New York, that could happen easily, right, and you have to pay fifteen percent. That's fifteen hundred dollars, right, And so like you have to make to get the forgiveness of the one I was singing. I think it's the PSLF right the public service. So if you're a teacher, if you're anything in a public service, you can get this loan forgive us. You'd have to make one hundred and twenty consecutive payments to qualify for it, and that started dates back to two thousand and seven. So this was the problem I ran into. I'm like, oh, bat, two thousand and seven, I haven't missed a payment. And twenty seventeen, it was my tenth year, and I was like, oh great, so.
Speaker 5: Then you need to look into what's called the TEPSLF.
Speaker 2: So I did it. I got to give it for another loan. Yeah. So then that's when I started researching. Wait, there's more loans out there for teachers, and so I did the Teacher Loan Forgiveness where it was like, if you are a highly qualified teacher in the subject at five years, and it has to be a title one schools less perfect. Yeah, two different the podcast.
Speaker 5: So what you're saying is okay, so let me ask your questions. You got to teach your loan forgiven?
Speaker 2: But did you get the te I did not. I did not.
Speaker 5: Did you apply yet?
Speaker 2: I did, but they told me I wasn't in one of those four qualifying ones. So I wasn't in paid repay IBr Oh wait, no te.
Speaker 5: Is different than PSLF.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, then I wasn't. I didn't get that. Yeah, h okay, I'm.
Speaker 5: Going to offline show you the other perfect so the government and then money stop might still be available. They gave a window of money for people that like him, had been paying since two thousand and seven, but was on a standard plan let's say, and he like, I've been paying so why am I not? And I worked for and so it's under a different program. It's just like a spin off of the PSLF. A lot of people I don't know about it. They talked about it one time on the news. I'm like, so, so I will show you where that's at. Last time I checked, there's still money availbile.
Speaker 2: Because it was like a bunch of people who applied, they had did the ten years, they had one hundred and twenty payments, and I think less than one percent of people actually God forgiveness.
Speaker 5: So then they told them to go back and apply for the second plan. I'm telling you about it, but it got confusing and people didn't do it. They closed it, they reopened it. So last time I check, I looked, literally the other day it's still open.
Speaker 2: Your m is about to blow up, Okay, but that's.
Speaker 5: Still you know. So I have to be weirdly knowledgeable about these things. And let me be very clear, like I don't work for solid man. I don't even like student loans. And a concept I like that people that come to us or come to me initially can get the help to move forward in life, because like if you walk away with one hundred percent forgiveness. After that, he gonna be lighting the burder around here, right, and then you're want to do something different with your money, Like I don't know how much you pay towards your student loans out of COVID, but that additional money can go to all the things you guys talk about, right, real estate and investment. But that'd be the number one reason why people do not get into growing their money because the student long death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes you. It can make you stagnant, rights, it can make you depressed. It could leave you to a point where it's like, Yo, now I have to live at home longer than I expected. Now I can't afford to get a car. Now I can't afford to even be in a real relationship right because I can't have it. I can't I can't get married. I can't afford to do it. And so it stagnates your life from our decision that you made at eighteen.
Speaker 5: I gotta tell the story. Okay, so this is real, and then somebody's watching, it's gonna understand what I'm about to say. So if you are particularly like a black woman, and you're dating and you got six figure student on debt, I know, I come up being in mind at one point like how I'm not going to tell this man, right? So what happens? When I used to do want on one appointments in person? I missed those dings. Those were fun guys who used to book their fiance and girlfriends for appointments that the girls didn't know about. So they were come in like, well where are we at. I'm like, Hi, I'm thinking everybody knows. Nobody knows but him. And I'm like, so you didn't tell her? He's like, no, I'm going to get some lunch. He like just dropped the girl offt trail. She's arms folded, she's kight, And I'm like, oh god, and you might had like penny buds at work. Now, don't have that in office. So I was like, oh okay. So I was like, so here's what's going to happen. So we want to go through your loans and I said and to the girl. I remember she was so upset. She had that bad attitude. And then I just had to get real for like two seconds, you know, I was like, look, so look this was about to be I was like, I really think that this man likes you. He likes you enough to have booked disappointment. He thinks highly enough of you. That probably means he may want to propose get married soon. But he's very serious about his money and he's not going to propose to you unless you tackle your student loan. That because I think she told him right. So I said, so what we're going to do is we're going to put you on this plan. And I think she was eligible for PSL left. I said, and then when he comes back, you're going to tell him the game plan, like all excited, enthusiastic, you got it, but I don't know, Like I just think of a whole different person. And she was like, okay, So we did work it out to where a payment will be one thirty. She was in all on PSL left. And then you could see his face was like, oh, all right, okay, so but you're saying, is all she gotta do is so he was like real light after that because it was real tense. And then sure enough, you know, I stopped him. I wanted to see like six months later he proposed, but now, like I don't think he would have not proposed it. Well, we don't know, really, but he really needed to feel comfortable that she was on top of her loan day. And so it does come up in dating and trying to buy home together.
Speaker 2: Student loan, doctor, solash, marriage counselor.
Speaker 4: Salute, salute that man. So let me ask you this. Okay. So me, I'm a slow learner and fortunately I never had to deal with any of this stuff. So all of this stuff is like kind of foreign to me. So for people that you know, might be in the same boat as me, and they might have children, they might not affect them, but they might have children. So sure, let's try to let's try to unpack this a little bit. So it's like all these different loans, which one is the best loan to get in? I know that's like a hard question, but which one is the best loan to get in? And then if you are in a bad loan, how can you maneuver into a good one.
Speaker 5: So with the federal government, there's only like one type of loan. It's just a federal loan. Right, And so when we have students going to college, what's called them award letter. They'll be told if they get any grants, any scholarships, and then on the award letter it'll say unsubbed and sub right, and so submeans loans that have interests that's paid for by the government. Unsub means the interests. You're responsible from day one. As to Howard A. Cruz, parents get jammed up when they apply for what's called the parent plus loan. It's like the double child of student loans. Like it's bad, but they really make it to where parents get trapped with it's like kind of a private loan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was just going to say, that's a difference between the federal, the federal and the privates.
Speaker 5: Right, and because the interest rate is horrible, like seven point eight, most times they want you to go into repayment right away. They do hit and look get your credit and so then you got to decide who has better credit, Mom or dad when doing the application. If mom or Dad gets denied, the child can get two thousand additional per the semester. But if you're going anywhere outside of the state school, like if we're here in New York, that money should be enough to cover that tuition. But when people go to more expensive schools, what happens. They got to take.
Speaker 4: Out private, private.
Speaker 5: Loans, And now private loans are really like the death of our economy, particularly for black millennials, because everyone wants to go to an HBCU, right, but everybody's not getting full funding to go to an HBCU. So I see a lot of graduates that come out the most it can borrow is fifty seven thousand, five hundred undergrad and then they have like one hundred thousand and private loan debt. Let me be really clear, one hundred thousand private loan is different than one hundred thousand federal. And the reason it is is because if you owe one hundred thousand, your payment could still only be two hundred dollars based off your income and who you take care of. But with a private loan, that payment's going to be one thousand dollars with a period behind it.
Speaker 2: Then the f work comes for barance. So well, no, not with private.
Speaker 4: Federal can so federal loans all of these programs, income based programs, all of that, but private loans there's no kind of program to lower the payment.
Speaker 5: No, your lender may have something like NAVI and may say, well, we'll allow you to do something for bearance, but then the interest is still capitalizing the time you come out of it. The payment's now like thirteen hundred a month, so it's really no relief. Now, let me say this, there are only two states, Pennsylvania and Texas that will not allow private loan that to take over your income like garnish your wages. But New York definitely we get a lot of clients that call in crying literally because they get their paychecks snatched up to twenty five percent. Georgia, particularly Florida. I'm just thinking about where we get the most cast from with that issue, Boston, Massachusetts. So if you're listening to this and you have private loan debt, right, because I know that's the question that comes up a lot. The goal is to get your credit up as best as possible so that you can refinance your loans. This is the best time to refinance private loan debt. But I have an asterisk so because I do believe with the Biden administration that there is going to be a form of loan forgiveness ten thousand and fifty thousand or one hundred percent through the Higher Education Act of nineteen sixty five. The President elect is already allowed as soon as he takes office. He could just sign it off in one stroke.
Speaker 2: So that's that's that's a good point. It's still a loan debt. And so those are some of the proposals. Right there is everybody who has student federal student loan that outside we're going to confuse it with private they're going to get ten thousand dollars if he signs it, right or or the other proposal is we can do ten thousand for five years, right or completely wipe away everybody stood alone his.
Speaker 5: Program ten thousand for five years. That'll just passed probably through the Congress in the House. That's fine. But what we know he has the authority to do, every president has already had the authority to do. Is literally signed one hundred percent at one point nine trillion away.
Speaker 2: So here's my question. Right, let's say, because the average person right has under twenty five thirty two thousand dollars and shuit of loan, that there's no interest being applied right now, only the principle you can pay toward that. If we can do it, should we pay it off or should we wait to the administration to come in and see what happens.
Speaker 5: So I get that question like almost every day. So here's what I would say. There is going to be something coming, and you know a president likes to make his mark in the first one hundred days. Yeah, so for real, for real, you you could wait, like you know, about one.
Speaker 2: Hundred I'm asking for a friend, I'm asking for a frontone's watching this like right.
Speaker 5: Now, you know, one hundred and thirty days out. I would be on the minimum payment type of situation because if something did come, let's say the big number that the Democrats are pushing him to, it's fifty thousand, you would have your loans right clear, but you're not getting any money back that you put out right. So I think, you know, it's bad to say this out loud, but I would probably be a minimum payment to see what happens.
Speaker 2: So I noted.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this as far as all right, So I guess the best student loan to get in is a federal loan out a private loan, Yes, the best one. So when you get in, So those options are just repayment options, Like there's only one federal student loan, right, It's not like different types of federal student loans.
Speaker 5: No, it's just one type of federal loan. The other federal loans that they used to have, which are called f f el or f f ELP or perkinsans. Yeah, those are more so with colleges. Universities would give out on behalf of the government. Those loans and programs have stopped. If you are listening to this and you have an f f el or f f el P or Perkins loan, you should look into consolidating your loans into the direct loans program so that you can take advantage of any forgiveness that's coming. Because this current administration does not get paid or even the Care Act. If you had a loan that wasn't a direct loan even in the KRESAC, they didn't pay for your loans right now, or they didn't cover your loan deck. So you probably want to look into consolidation and see if it's a good fit.
Speaker 2: So, I mean it puts especially parents you know who come from working class you know homes, because a lot of times when you apply for student loans and your parents make a certain amount or a decent living, you're not going to get any right most times, Like I remember applying for student loans and I got like two hundred and forty six dollars. I'm like, this is like one book, and so it forces you almost to say, like I got to take out this loan and I got to go to private route. So what are we doing in those scenarios? Is it just like try your basket scholarships or look for grants? What are we supposed to.
Speaker 5: Do so a student going into college?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, So a couple of things. If you're a student listening to this, I know you guys do have a good audience that's younger. You know, I believe it what's called scholarship Sundays. So I would recommend that started, uh, sophomore in junior year, you start looking for the scholarships you're gonna apply to most times in junior year, right, and the challenge but all of this is and what it comes down to is as parents, we don't prepare weld enough. And by no fault to anybody listening, like, don't feel bad that you didn't prepare, but just know that this generation right here, the millennial generation, has to be the one that ends the loan. That Like, first off, if you're listening to your podcast and they're listening, they shouldn't even be thinking about their child having to take out stud loans. Like that's kind true digtive. Everything you guys teach in terms of well filled.
Speaker 2: We just had this conversation of the night, like whose responsibility is is it? The parents are acting preparation the issue.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm like, I'm at we first.
Speaker 2: Like so a lot of us are first generation college graduates, and so like our parents, my parents are our from this country, they didn't they don't know these things, and so like now I'm looking at my responsibility for my children. It's like, we don't. We're never gonna have to.
Speaker 4: Take so so all right, so let me ask you this because fortunately like saying I don't have to go through this process because I play basketball and I had a scholarship.
Speaker 2: He's a scholarship.
Speaker 5: A little different.
Speaker 2: That's where you don't got a student loan. That that's what you look like.
Speaker 5: Right now over there, He's.
Speaker 2: Like, what is this? F h A you're talking about? Troy?
Speaker 4: You got to work on your jump shot.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Had scholarships in college. Can I be believe really honest with you, I just didn't have guidance to tell me then not take out the refund check. So I didn't have a lot. I'm gonna be real. Like in college show, I was living I'm living good now, but in college I was living right under this level.
Speaker 2: And I know that's not weird, but I had a full ride refund checked week.
Speaker 5: No fuddy as a young black kid. Somebody saying, come to the bursar's office and pick up five thousand every semester. What true religious? Yo, listen, true religious? If you was my friend, I got you up here. I didn't want to walk on kid. We didn't look fly together. We're not eating campus food. We're gonna run lobster and I'm like the first half of car you a College was so fun, But that's because I had a lot of money coming in from scholarships that the refunds that I did take was like play money because I didn't understand them, if that makes sense. Yeah, Like Sundays.
Speaker 2: We're all here eating, yo, like made us overhead.
Speaker 5: You know, if I had real friends, I kind of brought a lot of friendships because I I've always been very generous and I have a good heart and I'm really if I eat, you eat, That's how I feel. And it used to be to the point look at the Brian's like you said yes, yeah, so like on Sundays, it's like, so digress. But like I was like, all right, I'm cooking. I'm not a cook. I'm like, if you want to contribute to stories, I'm like, put the pack of fish with your name on the city so I know that you can come back. Because they would drop up all types of food. Oh my god, friends and a lot of goudfriends, like you could do five fishes dropped off at the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah like that.
Speaker 4: And then all that college I had this this a true story. I know one year, for one year straight, I ate tuna fish every day.
Speaker 5: For one year on year straight. Eight mom and noodles. And imagine that wall being stacked that with MoMA noodles. Beef shrimp you want today, I don't want that.
Speaker 2: I was like, we got options, beef oil.
Speaker 4: I haven't had tun official and I still eat it every once in a while, but now I eat it in a salad. I was eating it on a sandwich like jacked up.
Speaker 2: Na.
Speaker 4: You know the thing about it is playing sports. So so my first two years was in Maryland, my next two years was in Hawaii. So Maryland, the scholarship included just the cafeteria food and dorm rooms and all that. When I went to Hawaii, everything was paid for, but they gave me a check. They gave me a check for like six thousand dollars and then that was to pay for my off campus apartment, pay for food and all of that. So I blew it. I was on my own, so I was just going grocery shopping. But I ain't I didn't know how to cook. I had a form and grow. I was just putting anything on the form and grow. And then I was just making friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we thought we was, I mean eleven hours away. It was back in New York.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so you know it was. It was tough, but we made it through. We made it through. We made it through.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying that you can put tune in your salad when you're got pray student loan.
Speaker 4: So it so let me ask you this. So yeah, so as far as parents, right, it's interesting what you just said. You said, if they're listening to this, they shouldn't even be worried about that. So what is your advice for parents? Like, because it's like, all right, so if they can't afford to send their kids to college, right, should they just go community college and then state school and just only do federal like should they never do At what point does it make sense to do student loans or does it really make sense to do to the loan?
Speaker 5: So some license but not a license in this section something with teater lightly, but I think it would be best to be everyone to google the five to nine plan in their state and then talk to since professional that can talk to you about a five to nine plan, because if you are I call what's called the sticky middle middle classes, what's called the sticky middle not enough to get a full grant ride, but not wealthy enough to pay out a pocket right, So that sticky middle is that's where a lot of people suffer. They're like, oh, you should be able to contribute to your child's education, and most people can't. So what happens is the student loan, that the private loan, that the parent plus loan that comes into play. But there is something called really a big proponent a fan of, called the five to nine plan, where someone that has a child early on or a grandchild can start to contribute to their child's education. And we can have a five to nine party every year or on the birthday So I know a few people that their child at age nine has their college fully paid for at today's prices.
Speaker 2: So the five to nine party, no gifts would just contributed.
Speaker 5: To the plane literally bringing it like you can find a deposit or you can just bring a twenty like that.
Speaker 4: You can write a check too from check book the five twenty nine a few times on a podcast. All right, So your philosophy is like you should be playing to pay for college.
Speaker 5: Don't rely on because you know that our culture and when I say our African Americans, we don't believe in picking up the ten for our kids in this extent. But in other cultures, like I've been studying this, it is expected that the parent pays for that.
Speaker 4: It's like a wedding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but in our culture, what do we pay for it?
Speaker 2: Right at all? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, problems we do that any weddings, right car baby showers, baby.
Speaker 2: Showers show we get the more baby showers and weddings, that's the fact, right.
Speaker 4: The Birdberry shirt was a staple at baby shower.
Speaker 2: That's how you know who the father was the Burberry shirt. That's not you know what also too, and to go along with that, is that we got to change the stigma on community college. Yes, especially in New York. Man it's like people feel like I feel like I'm not going anywhere. Yes, Like number one, if you get a if you get a level arts degree, it won't matter because you're gonna be able to he's dying. It won't matter. I mean, you can still transfer after two years plus you're gonna save yourself maybe fifty to one hundred thousand dollars by just staying home. You know what I mean. You're not paying rumin board, You're still eating a home.
Speaker 5: Here's the head.
Speaker 2: The stigma's crazy.
Speaker 5: I'm a reformed college professor, right, and I could teach at a community college or I could teach at a private institution. It was the same class, the same textbook. I just got paid a little different. But the students were paying at the community college to see me on Tuesday three hundred dollars. At the private college they were paying sixteen hundred class, same professor, same book. Just catch me on a different show.
Speaker 4: And once you it's like, if you have a bachelor's degree and you went to community college, they don't count your associate The only thing that matterges your bachelor's degree. You have a master's degree. The only thing that really manages your master's degree. So like a lot of people even think like the first four years if you if you know you're going to be a doctor, like go to a good undergrad but don't spend all of your money on it, like because your master's program is can be more important. Like you know, he went to community college, Barack Obama, No nobody knows that because they only look at Harvard. I think he went to where do you go before Harvard? Columbia? He went to Columbia, and he went to Harvard. So it's like they only look at that part of it, but they didn't look at the two years he spent in community college. Nobody cares. But now it's two years that you're going for next to nothing, and a lot of kids aren't mature enough to actually go away from home and they make a lot of mistakes. So that's like, you know, it's the time to actually develop and grow as a person. And now you got two years on your belt, and now you can get another two years if you want.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be honest with you. With COVID, I would be pissed if I was paying that tuition and I'm home with my friend that's home on the same platform paying way less tuition. Like that's crazy, like I would be enrolling and switching over to another school like personally.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you this. As far as forbearans, there's general forbearance and administrative forbearance. What is the difference between those two?
Speaker 5: So general for baras, I'll give you examples, like when you need to call your lender like I don't got it, Like so in thirty six months in the lifetime of your loan that you can just extend in no questions asked. Then you have what's called administrative for barans from the government for whatever they determine as a permissible reason they can cover your interests, right. And then you have what's called economic deferment. That's when people don't know about this one, but that's when you get laid off or you lost your job, you have some paperwork that says that instead of using your general forbearance moms, you want to use your economic deferment. Or if you live in an area that has really bad weather like hurricanes and so forth, there's weather related deferments too that people can get so that you don't have to again run through your thirty six months?
Speaker 4: How do you how would you know that? Do you like? Because I didn't know that? Do you have to call your lender? Like, yeah, you do? You offer weather for a barans? Do you all for job?
Speaker 5: Well, it's a government program, but it's again it's not fully advertised. See that's the problem again with a lot of our lenders in their website. Some websites some lenders is super easy click here, go here. Some are like contact that's an ingle hole for what thirty minutes? And then people just like, oh, forget it, I'm not about to pay them now. It hits your credit. It's a cycle that happens.
Speaker 2: So I got like a two part question. So do COVID obviously count as an economic event? One?
Speaker 5: Well, no administrative forbearance now that's what we're under with the care says because it's a government enforced So.
Speaker 2: And on the thirty first of January, that's done, and now people are back into regular forbearans.
Speaker 5: No, they're the real wor oh.
Speaker 2: Payment time, payment time. So then if we're back in payment time, people can now apply for how long is that sixty twelve months or just six months?
Speaker 5: We don't know how much they have left, Okay, I mean.
Speaker 2: It took thirty six months.
Speaker 5: Okay, but by the time somebody listens to this, they probably out, Like you know, and if they had f FLP loans or Perkinsons, they didn't qualify for the the administrator for Barents, so they could have used some of their general for Barans mouths on it.
Speaker 4: So like bankruptcy, right, that's one of the things that how does that affect How does like student loan play a part into that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, you know my girlfriend Elizabeth Warren not really my girlfriend, I'm just such a fan. So she is trying to She just put a proposal through to revise the Chapter ten bankruptcy laws to say, hey, we need to include federal loan debt as a major economic impact. Like the wording you can go look it up, but basically she wants you to be able to give one hundred percent forgiving through Chapter ten bankruptcy. Now, somebody uneducated is going to watch this and go, I don't want to found bankuptcy. Like you can go to my page and watch it, right, and you used to see all the comments I'm like m M and other cultures bankruptcy is a tool for a financial reset. So if you're watching this and you are twenty seven years old, you're thirty two. I'm not be funny you you was up to thirty two bad credit. You could go like seven more years and then get a fresh restart. But the challenge is we just have to be more knowledgeable on what a bankruptcy would look like. You know, per you now are you're married? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, So how it would go with or how it should go if let's say Troy takes from the bankruptcy because he wants to clear his loan deck. So then we know that his wife is going to be having a lot of assets in her name for about seven years and then well we don't know what could go left or what happens. And other cultures, the Jewish cultures, when you're done, the wife would then go into bankruptcy and then you would have the perfect credit score. Does that make sense that there's a switch out? So like there's nobody ever like paying anything you.
Speaker 4: Had mentioned that like as far as like even in a relationship, you shouldn't have everything mingled.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I already got new.
Speaker 2: About their personal No, that's that's valuable information because in my mind I always thought like, yo, student that was with you and student loan was with you until you died. Right, It was like that there's no way to get out of that but bankrupcy hopefully.
Speaker 4: But that's the gym, not like I don't want to breeze over that point. Why should it not be mingled?
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, no, So what happens is again because we don't I'm gon keep talking about our culture as an African American culture. I do a lot of start thought and study around this. We don't know enough to look at each person as an individual, business and entity. Right, So let's say we're married. Shot, right, I don't want everything in both of our names on paper, because now the bank is looking like we're looking real tied up together. My credit is affected, his credit is affected. Everybody shows that they're the DTI is super high. But you gotta trust who you're about to marry. Right, So let's say the loan goes into Shat's name, but I am going to be on the d you see what I'm saying. And then now maybe I get the investment property in my name, and then he's going to go on to the deed as well. But from a long standpoint, from a credit standpoint, we have two separate properties. We're not I can mingle on the same loan.
Speaker 4: That's that's a gym right there. That's a gym right there. Because a lot of time people dont full understand Julian Gordon. You ever heard of him, You know, he's a he's a real estate job and that's what he's talking about. Like he said, don't buy your first property when you're married. You should buy like when you're engaged. Each person buy a property that way when you get married. Now you got two properties, two different people's names, and it increases your wealth. It doubles your wealth as opposed to doing it, it's just.
Speaker 5: One yeah, no, we're not doing that, and then.
Speaker 2: We're not doing it.
Speaker 5: Should be you know, it should be a duplex or triplex or a quiplex if you're lucky to find one and you like it and you're okay living, you know, the tight quarter, because it really is if you do this right, business is a uh yeah, I said, the right marriage is a business. And so what could happen is let's say we get that quiet, we're in that first unit, on the top floor, and then that the second and third we got renners and then the earners.
Speaker 2: What's up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts or digital tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate, let's Square handle the back so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, But understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 6: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With INDEED sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 5: Bye, we got a commercial property right. We only got to do this what for three years on paper? You know, because the challenge is people get caught up because they have children, and then they a vote your children and other school districts. That's how people get caught up. And then you get all these grants. You're not like, oh, take these grants would make this home free and no money out of pocket. But those grands have lines and clauses that say if you move to a different school district or you move in three years, they can pad like and take your home. I know that's happened to a few people. So you do have to find or don't take the grants. You know, you do have to read with a fine print and then let's say so let's say we did that for three years. Right now, we're gonna take some of this equityut and list all the stuff you gotta seech, and now we're gonna get the next property, or we're gonna get the real home after we get that first one going.
Speaker 2: So can we talk about credit for a second, because you brought it up? So twenty five percent of borrows usually default on their loan, which encompasses a lot of damage to their credit reports. Is there any solution or maybe a hack that people can use to help or maybe hide a little bit of the suit alone when it comes to the bureaus.
Speaker 5: So you know, student loans can come off of your credit report. That's not a problem that can come off. They can't hide when you're trying to go buy a home.
Speaker 2: How's it come off? Oh?
Speaker 5: Okay, that's my massacre. You know, I like you'll heart. So what would happen is I'm saying fast, Okay, I got for cash right now? All right? So there are three reports. It's Aquafax Experience TransUnion, and I mean, nobody really wants to do it like this, but you would pull three reports and let's say we're looking at the student loans still student loan one is here and it's all listed the same, right, but is it really listed the same? See where I'm going with this. It's not most times. And so let's say when we look on experience, if it could be one number off, or it could be a payment history different than here. And now I'm concerned. All the bureaus high alert. I now want to send a copy of each page I'm highlighting and in my letter this is a discrepancy. I'm just so concerned. As a consumer, I'm not sure which is what this has stopping me from getting a home. Please remove this immediately. That one's for free. It comes off now. But don't try to pull that when you go to buy a home, because you're going to like a liar. I don't have any student loans. I know people that do this and then the lender comes back like, so what's this now?
Speaker 2: They don't trust you, right because you like.
Speaker 4: That happens undred thousand dollars John Hopkins, I never went to medical school.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're going to tell the truth. You can say, listen on my consumer report. It doesn't show. But if you're going to get a federal loan with another federal loan, they got to be able to say the good standard or not. And you'd be surprised. A lot of people that get their loans off that are in default off of their credit are in default and they can't get a home.
Speaker 2: So is that true for both federal and private or just federal.
Speaker 5: For what getting off the report? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Any any?
Speaker 4: Ok okay, So as far as like a good will letter, from my understanding, that's like when you write, you write letters, I guess in today's time, you can actually call. Does that ever? Does that is that worth it? Or you know?
Speaker 5: Yes? So, but because we're in COVID and we're all the time, they still probably still be having it right you, it's better to call and do a letter if they request. So like a few months ago, my friend had a late payment on his I think it was his Nieman's card. He forgot right, but he had a late payment a year ago. But because of COVID and we want to talk to people and empathize with people that were talking to the lady was so nice and took his late payment off from a year ago. So the call went like this, like, Hi, Susan, Now I acted like him even though I sound like a girl. But you know they can't tell you really are a man on the phone. I mean, please do so I can sue you and you know whatever. So I'm like, hi, I am so, and so let's say, I'm I'm Mark. Are you sure you're Mark? I'm Marked? I'm Mark, ma'am I'm hard. Okay, all right, Mark? How can we help you? Well, Susan, I tell you, this pandemic has really gotten me down. How are you, Susan? At first I want to start there. How are you? How the kids? We don't know they So she's like, oh, I tell you, just being hitting everyone. My son's really impacted. So I sort that one okay now now, Susan, I'm calling because I'm a small business owner and you this is right before they passed the EDI yo, those small business loans and you know I am just waiting on those small business loans to come through. I had to close down, Susan. Can you believe it? And the goal here is to keep saying Susan's name, why because people like to hear their name right. Shot makes you feel good. So, so, Susan, are you experiencing it like that? Anything like that? Well, you're working, Susan, Oh god, it's good. I'm not writing the Lord into it. Yeah, why do you love the Lord? Yeah? So so she's like, well, you know, you know, it's just hard though, because we're hearing and a lot of people are sick. So I'm doing a lot of overtime. Oh my goodness, are the kids working? Well? Like now, this is how we got it removed. And I know y'all probably listening and looking like like what is this girl? But it's a lady the people. So she was like, well, you know, it's it's crazy you say that you're a small business owner because my son's a business owner. What what?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 5: How's he doing? He's not doing good? You know, I had to send him some money recent This is all true story, This is obit. I said, what, Oh my god, you weren't able to do that because you're doing overtime. She said exactly, But I'm not gonna be able to keep doing it. They got to pass this, so, Susan, that's why I was late. You see what I'm saying, Susan, because I don't have the money coming in right now. And you see that I have a long standing customer with me me. Now he will. You're gonna get your fats right and then and you know, this is how we got the other word moved. And Susan, I tell you because I had a little hardship. Do you see I had a hardship but a year ago on my on my account with you guys, hold on, I do see it. I do see it. You were late a year ago. And Susan, you know, I don't like to be late, but I had a hardship and I don't want to repeat that. And you guys think I'm a bad customer. So Susan, what do I Who do I need to talk to? What do I need to do to get these lates removed? Because Susan, I might have to move. They're going to check my credit and it's and and then I might not and I could be homeless, so they gotta get real exciting. I don't want you homeless. Okay, let me put you on hold. Now that's the sign. Now everybody listen closely. You're never on hold. Repeat that's me. Never on hold?
Speaker 2: Really? Oh okay, never never on hold. You didn't do it?
Speaker 4: Hold, So don't say nothing crazy, well.
Speaker 2: No forgetting that.
Speaker 5: What I do is I say, guys, going to work it out for me?
Speaker 2: Like that's the whole that you're doing that on WLD.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I sang spiritual songs and so.
Speaker 2: Like when they come back to hear that, you.
Speaker 5: Might say a night and shue. Now they don't want to keep hearing that, right yo, So it's not sure what I can tell this so light after a while. So anyway they come, you can't come back up sat on the phone.
Speaker 2: Oh you got a great voice. So you got a great voice?
Speaker 4: Mark you got Susan?
Speaker 5: Are you there? Oh? I'm here? So Susan, what did you find out? Do I need to talk to a manager? And this is how you know you're about to get it all right? Well, what I'm gonna do is now the voice gets low. That's how you and then you got to mimic them. So what's going on, Susan. So I'm going to take this late payment off because this is a pandemic. Yes, this a pandemic, Susan. And what I'm going to do is even take that payment a year ago off because if you have to move, we don't want anything stopping you exactly, Susan. Oh my god, I wish I could just hug you, but then you got to do six feet you know what I'm saying, Susan. So so now what do you need me to do? Nothing? When when you're going to get an update from the bureaurooms that says this is going you know, sometimes it's immediate, sometimes it's thirty days. But you're going to see and if you have my fright go and pulls continuously off the next day.
Speaker 4: So wow, Philly, Philly never Never.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you you shout shout out at the bullet. Maybe you said Temple, shout out to the bullet Philly.
Speaker 4: Philly has always got some they need to allow you shore you never took any acting classes, you know, Perry Tyler, Perry might be calling for a role.
Speaker 5: No, no, I did take some stand up comedy classes for fun. I think I'll get back to that pros pandemic. But no, no, But that's like the thing is all jokes aside. People love people, and this is the best time to be nice to anybody you're calling to ask to do something. They'll tell you what to do because they are people that's probably struggling or two steps from it themselves because of the pandemic.
Speaker 4: You know what, you said, I was a gym to as far as I learned that. And like sales, people like to hear their names. So when you say somebody's name over and over again and it makes them feel important, Yes, it makes them feel important like, oh, he knows my name and not only does he know my name, like he's saying it to me, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And you heard what I said. I said, I don't have to go to a manager, do I, Susan No, because that's like a thing when people don't want you to go to their manager, I can take care of it makes them, you know, come to your rescue as a hero. And we really knew where she was located. We would like send flowers or something because that was really really nice trying to score jump like way.
Speaker 4: Up, that's amazing. Yeah, that's a hat. That's the hat. That's that's the hat. So before we before we wrap it up, I want to talk about the branding and the business side of things, but just the general question people that might be struggling, which is paying back their student loan right, like like we talked about like debt message to pay back credit cards, like the snow ball method, is a couple other methods. Yeah, if you're struggling to pay back your student loans, what are some suggestions that you just just general suggestions that people may be able to benefit from if they're struggling to pay back to still low.
Speaker 5: Well, the income driven plans are the best option because that's why they exist. Especially with the pandemic, a lot of people are going to be leaving out of it on January thirty. First, they need to go in and update you what's called an immediate reclculation of their payment, and they need to be like, listen, if you have no money coming in or little money coming in, and you need to put that on the form. They're not going to ask for your taxes or your pay stuff. They're going to take it at face value so that they can get a zero dollar payment if they need to. So anybody listening to this and will time naturalist areas. But even when they do listen to it, if anything ever changes with your finances, you can definitely immediately go in and do what's called immediate reek ount and then they'll put you into administrative for barans while they review it, and then the payment would be as you know and.
Speaker 2: That's true for federals, so but for private the best thing is just try to improve your credit scord to.
Speaker 5: Lower private loans. They were told by DeVos to not be aggressive and collect after people. You can't control private entities, however, so the best thing to do is to keep having a conversation. You know, I'm super dramatic. I would even tell you the facts and or melon a copy of your budget to show that if there is no money available, they're not going to be really pursuing lawsuits, probably right now at this time either. So if most it could hit your credit, but again, you can get it off your credit if you need to. I do feel bad when I hear and talk to people that have a lot of private loan debt. There is a positive note that we found this out recently with the young lady that moved from New York to Florida. She had private loan debt of fifty thousand that had defaulted. Because it defaulted, they don't count that towards her deb's income ratio when she was going to go by her home. So that was good news because she thought that fifty thousand wouldcounts towards her overall debt.
Speaker 2: Would affect the credit score, but she got a.
Speaker 5: Credit up even still, and she got to offer credit.
Speaker 4: And then you were saying, like you should have different streams of income for different things.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, yes, So I have about thirteen streams and some of them work very actively, some of them are very passive. And when my house gets the next month, I'll have fourteen prins cars. Now I didn't always think like that, but again, I have some really good friends, like you know Neam Davis, he's one of my good friends. Somebody guys gonna get got to give on this podcast. Her name is will Realmtree, you know who.
Speaker 4: We met him in Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Super solid okay, yep, we were doing a massimizm this weekend in Houston. Yes, super solid individual. So you can't be around people like that and not think about who's gonna pay for this? Like somebody somebody's got your money. That's what Grand car Done says, who's got my money?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: So who has your rent? Who has your car? Who has your and whatever it is that you like. People don't even know where their money goes. So for me, what I think about is like I literally have a list at home, like it's gonna say. You know, it might say the rent. It might say to this so and the next to it. This might sound weird is some people and parentheses. I know what stream that's coming from. So somebody got my money, and I need to know how much each stream has to do each month for me to be on par.
Speaker 2: With goals for every liability pun intended.
Speaker 5: But the thing is, are you Are you some teacher?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a teacher. I'm an educator. I like that. Yeah, Yeah, I don't work for the school district.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, got it? Okay, because no teachers. My whole family are teachers.
Speaker 2: Okay, shout out to every teaching teaching less.
Speaker 5: Didn't know how I would be teaching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's key. So that's why we use the word educated and said because when I think teaching, most people think, oh, you work in the school. I'm like, no, we're still educating, just in a different medium.
Speaker 5: And that's good for business loans to keep going there.
Speaker 4: So how did so branding you? You're being on Instagram, You've you've created a brand for yourself. So from a marketing business standpoint, how were you able to take from doing in coffee shops, one on one consultations to making you know, a brand that is all over on global. How were you able to make those steps because a lot of people might have, you know, talent and doing one thing, but they struggled from getting out of that coffee shop to church to you know, reaching the level that you're at. So how are we to do that?
Speaker 5: So all your side always been a hustler. Like when I was little, I was always very wildly interested in money and what money could do. Now money for me, but I was used to buy can you saygress and jawbreakers, so I always wanted money to buy the little stuff. I didn't want to ask my mom for right. And my mom is a single mom, and she you know, had a really nice middle class situation with a gated community. Like she tried right, but I knew that she was. It was tight. So I was in private school but it was tight, and I had to come out of private school at one point. I'm like kids are like this, And I remember thinking like, mom can't afford to have me in private school and more we're in trouble like so those things I knew. I was very like aware we early on, so I never I wanted to ask my mom for money when I was little, so I used to do stuff like get a plastic chair with a rope and I would get some leaves because I didn't want for live billy. I used to think like their purposes, and I used to tell people for one dollar, but thirty seconds, I'll make a fake ride. And so I know that's not weird. But I had my own Gover coaster, so that was like my hustle. I don't know. I had a lot of hustles growing up, but I had that hustle in me. I think because I saw how she really had to hustle to make things happens for us. My mom got sick when I was sixteen, right, and so when she got sick when I was sixteen, it's just me and her. I didn't know how much I knew about her business. I knew about how to use the ATM, how to write checks, and I still I did bills at sixteen. I made sure all the bills was paid. She was in a coma. She came out the coma. She was like she lost her hero when she was in a coma. And I'm re writing now down She's like, well, bring me my receipt. So I showed them my receipt at her receipt and it had like ten thousand in her account and she't never had no ten thousand account. But again when I spend it frivously, right, and she like, no, that's incorrect. I'm like, I know, what's why I said no cigarettes, she's supposed to rette. I'm like, till you got money here? She's like, I said, but I do need a new code, you know, let me at back bay. But how do we get here? So she like, get a.
Speaker 2: Coke pH l L one.
Speaker 5: I did need going now, I didn't need to get a FIR and she told me. I came out hurt bank. I didn't go get a credit. I got a trouble. So long story short, I know, how do we get here? I put a meme out about three years ago that said twenty eighteen, that's happened twenty eighteen? I said, first African American because there are other people in my field that look like me, but they are not companies entities. They're like the specialists, if you will. And I knew from the beginning I wanted to build a company because one I don't really like a lot of engagement with people every day all day. I get burned out really easily. So I'm like, well, how do I just hire people? And then you know, so that's what I created, was the student Loan Doctor as a brand, and I put it out there. Mada, I gotta shout Neo.
Speaker 4: Out like I probably sho shout out to me.
Speaker 5: And Neo his mom.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: I ride for him like no other because he get a last slack for whatever, but super solid individual and always from a place up. Just do this right now. He gonna tell you what to do, but you're gonna hold your hand so you do gotta be smart enough to just go do it right. So, long story short, he was like, put this meme out. This is when he was trying in his marketing, like early on, and it was just a white mean, I was like three hundred and twenty pounds at the time, but I didn't care. I'm like, you know, and I'm like, I put the same out and I'll put it out and I just wanted to get a little hit little marketing. Well, next thing you know, it started hitting the little blocks and media. I'm like, oh, look at this traction firend. God, it was coming right up on Black History Month. I remember I went to sleep. So I woke up the next morning and my phone is going off morning usual on Instagram. I'm like, black, I gotta go to the office. Right then, I'm driving in my phone ring, I'm like hello, it's like a number I didn't know. She's like, Hi, is this Sonya? I'm like, uh, who's this? And she's like Bisha Maisha from the shad Room. I'm like, no, sure, love that. I pulled over and I was like, how can I help you? Tell me your story and let's let's make it quick.
Speaker 4: Tell me your story, take it quick.
Speaker 5: And she was sweet, but she was very curt and and we still connect with each other now. So she listened. She'll laugh and she was like. I was like, well, so boom boom posted gotta have your pitch ready, never know and she said, oh I love it hosting it. I said okay, and then a phone hung up. So then I called my girlfriend. She's super rad chet Brady, I lover. She said. She said, were about to be favorite and I'm like wait what, I'm like, what are you talking about. She's like, do you follow the shave room? I said, not really? She said go to it right now. So at the time, I think they had like fourteen million followers or something, right, and I was like, I'm gonna be here. She's like yeah. She was like, well, where's she gonna post it. I was like, I don't know, maybe in a few days. She's like, all right, so let me let me come over. I'm gonna come meet you at the office. So she came to the office and I will never forget. We were packing up. It was like nine thirty because I worked until ten. And next thing you know, I had an iPhone but it was all one and it started shaking. No, it like in shape, but I think it started ele table and I'm like, I'm like, is it about to explode? Because it was like and then the fall started ringing, and then emails started flooding it and it was like a movie, y'all. And then I had got what's the words like? When you get yes, I'm like, She's like, are you having a stroke? Blink twice I'm like okay, I said, I think my life is changing. So literally, she like she called up all of our other girlfriends, like, y'all got to get to the office right now. It's going down the shad room just posted it. So everybody rushed to the office. I think I ordered some pizza and we were in there like one two, and I remember and one night I had a thousand DMS, I had a thousand emails and I'm not making a number of like a thousand, I remember it. And then we were just getting posted. And then the next morning, which was super crazy, every radio station and Philly was talking about us, and I'm like what and none, you know, and so that wave and I when we talked again my SHINAI because she posted us twice in twenty eighteen for free. I was like, why did you post it? She said Jesus told me to. I'm like, well, what.
Speaker 2: Else did Jesus say?
Speaker 5: You know? So I'm really grateful for her because once she didn't have to do it, and two that was the catalyst to every other blog media source. And then you know, I always knew like, if you just give me a little opportunity, I'm making it too. But that was like that I'll use that a lot of people are not ready for. But I did have systems in place. I think I had about two employees at the time. I did have to do like a hiring boot camp. I remember I was hiring every I mean training every day for like thirty days after work and after my appointments. I was taking it time because I had just made the decision to go full time in that business. And so then I had to open my calendar from eight am to eleven pm because I'm not missing no money. I'm gonna be really honest with you, like I needed all of that money. And that's really eighteen times eighteen is when my life started to change, and that's why I started to look at money different, like you can. You know, I think I made maybe half of what I was making in one month at that point, and one month and I'm like they lied to us, Like so now I'm starting to get rolled with it, like you know, and the money that I make now, I really feel like we just got their boozled.
Speaker 2: That's a feeling.
Speaker 4: Neo is he's a champion of that because he was doing that for a long time. Like Man retires his mom, Man travels to thirty seven countries and his wife, and it's like he was doing all these meanings Like man just rides a private jet for first time with his family life.
Speaker 5: But yeah, sure, it would be up late every night, and I love his wife and that would be the only person I could he could talk to as a woman that late at night. I ain't on no funny business you can put. But we're gonna get to this money to like sometimes well to like three am. I'm like trying this because I had just stuff my job. He knew that I didn't play about execute and that's what he likes, and he would talk me through and I'm like, no, I think you should try this one. And then we were just doing it and I'm really just so proud of him because it's like that one individual I just hope like he has he doesn't operate with any fear if that makes sense, Like he's not afraid to fail. He'll he'll fail. And then I was great, let's do it again, you know. And I had to take that and learn that from him because I was really scared going into I'm gonna be transferred. I was scared to make money because I felt like this was wrong. It didn't feel right. That count looked like it's too much. I'm explaining this to my mom. I had all these things.
Speaker 2: That was did you have that? Is it real? Feeling like is this real?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't think it was because you know, I'm used to seeing the number on the other way. Yeah, so now even now i'd be like sometimes you know, I'm just giving, you know, so even now I make a lot of money now, but even now I'm like just I'm like, is this a joke? Like you know, and so just to be able to move how I want to move, travel or like you know, be remoted do like that freedom. I can't explain it like it's it's it's so humbling, and I really am thankful. There's no such thing as having a bad day in my world. Like I don't have bad days. I have bad moments because I can't have a bad day knowing where I've come from. I could look at my account, the day got better, like I don't.
Speaker 2: Have And I said, really wait wait, wait, don't let that go over your heads.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like you, hey, what bad day? You got money coming in? As we sit here, money's coming in, Like that's just how it is.
Speaker 2: Wake up your death, Yeah, Like well how.
Speaker 5: You wake up to a bad day with a PayPal alert? Like I never seen that, Like what you got going on in your life? So and I remember like, I don't have bad days. I don't know and know my like it up said, do people hurt my feelings? Yes, but you don't get that much time from me anymore because I can always make more money, but I can't make more time. And so even who I deal with, who I talk to, who I text, who I hang out with, it's all very intentional because these are hours I can't ever get back, like and so that helped me even with dating it and dealing with people like who you're about a thousand dollars an hour.
Speaker 4: Like that, I need to be paid for this.
Speaker 5: I actually somebody had a bad day. I invoiced them because I'm respect.
Speaker 4: I don't want to know how that's hard. Invoice. Yeah, did you mean to send this to me?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Absolutely should be at never get paid. Yeah, invoice, send the invoice.
Speaker 5: You should say, invoice of the people that we should nonsense, you don't even know how much your time calls them that it's not what the job pays you. Let me be very clear, I was already a million dollar earner right before the job, but like so and you are at a multi million dollar job right now. Somebody listening and they're paying you sixty seventy. No, you are the million dollar gifts. Like all jokes aside, like if you left if if you're good, let me be clear, if you're really good, And I was always really really good. No smoke at any job I went to, because I was very prideful about any job I had. When I left my job, the president of the college, Jim said to me, he said, sonya, he said, I tell you, when I met you, I knew you were going to be one of two things. He's like, you're either going to be a college president because I'm an eat well a disstation away from a d D, he said. Or he said you were going to be a business owner. I already knew it. He's like, you just didn't know it. Now you think that would make you feel good? Right if you heard that? I was living because the joke was on me.
Speaker 2: You do that all this time, and you let me work this up.
Speaker 4: Could be doing it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, ain't that crazy? And somebody's thinking about your.
Speaker 2: Other It's like they see the talent.
Speaker 4: So so where we at now talk about I want you to tell him about the because you're not You're not doing one on one consultations anymore. Like you duplicate yourself.
Speaker 5: And you yeah, no, it's really hard to get me on the phone. And I said that would love because I do a lot of Instagram conversations. We're now doing a lot of clubhouses. Our clubhouse has been rocculately. It's been fun. I know you on clubhouse. I've been to him in the morning dressed like but.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait you said you called him in the morning.
Speaker 5: No, clubhouse. He's on every clubhouse. I feel like.
Speaker 2: He's at midnight marauder a.
Speaker 4: Boring and uh, you know, say some word to the good people.
Speaker 5: No, but you know what, I gotta say this, I love it. I love it, he says. So I want to wait he actually not little cells in you too?
Speaker 2: A little bit, A little bit?
Speaker 5: I want all right? Should I just gotta do this? Wo man? So he reminds me of like like an innocent intern that just started, right, So what do you so? What you're saying? So and so this is persons making like three hundred three hundred, let's tay thousand a month or something. Oh, I've got to do it's boom boom. You just won that back any time, he says, kee waning back. Whatever I'm at and go get a piece of paper, because I know he caught it. I should be catching it back. Now I can listen to him passively. I'm like, that's why, Shay, you go a little further.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he pushing the question. Yeah, you gott to push the button.
Speaker 5: What you do in the clubhouse, I've learned to life. I really do go to the rooms that he's in because if I feel like learning, I feel like I should go to his rooms because I know he's up there as a moderator or a person. So I want to bring that back. That's a great point.
Speaker 2: What you're saying is, Yo, this is this is talent. This is real talent.
Speaker 5: I'd be like, yeah, I be wanting to text him like you while you're up on that stage, right, Yeah, And so I just quick, how do you about these? How do you like it? Now?
Speaker 4: You know what? I think that I think it's beneficial, but I think that it could potentially water things down because it's so it's like not stop like and I think it's like it's so new, it's like it's like a drug like people's own it like forty eight hours straight, and it could potentially I think water things down because like whenever it's just too much, it kind of devalues the level of information. That's that's just my own personal take on it. But I do feel like it has good characteristics. But I feel like sometimes it's like a competition, like who knows more, and it's just like everybody is yeah exactly, everybody's trying to prove that the smartest person in the room.
Speaker 5: The receipts from a screenshot you can get off a Google Yeah exactly exactly, everybody ptr and show your receipts and or anyway, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, who did that? But who did that?
Speaker 4: Have you on the cap, you on the TV?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: That's the screenshot, that's that's the stream number eleven probately investigating.
Speaker 5: It should be one.
Speaker 4: How do you feel about it?
Speaker 5: You know, I really enjoy it for the pub acknowledge that it's given. I do think it makes it for I feel like for mental health purposes. I do think it's really good for the pandemic because it brings people talking. Again, it's different than Instagram where we're writing, but to hear somebody's voice, you don't know what somebody the other line could be going through. And so by that one gym being shared, you can get them really excited about their project that they were putting on. We're doing before COVID, So I beliel like it is helping a lot of people. I do think there are a lot of gurus that I don't really know if they're gurus or not. You know, that's their business. So sometimes I get worried about the information that shared. And then the other thing is there was a conversation I think you were a part of it where people were talking about how they're going to start to monetize that, and I think that's the problem sometimes with our society, everybody trying to make a dollar out of nothing. Sometimes like can it just be a genuine app where you know, maybe if people want to tip or share, But why does everything have to be monetized? Like every little thing has to be and then it just takes away from the fun of connecting and building that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, it's one of those things, like you said, it's like the the core rooms back in like the nineties when it's like the hot line like party line.
Speaker 2: Yeah business that was different number.
Speaker 4: But yeah, the clubhouses it's cool because it's like you going in, it's like it could be Meek Millen. That's what I like about it. I was in a room with Meek and Swiss and to even be able to, you know, have somewhat of a conversation with those people just randomly. It is different than any other social media experience. So there is value in it for sure.
Speaker 5: All Right, but hold on, y'all, that is interesting. Your favorite celebrities like my favorite celebrities. Wild I'm not going to hold you if you told me he was there on the street. We wrapped this up, like I love him, But I was in his room and I was in there for like four hours, way too long, just listening to him talk. I learned a lot about him. I was making different opinions about him. So I think it's either one that helped me really like more people or dis like that because their personalities. It is what it is.
Speaker 4: A home on account, you know what you get to fit like even on social media Instagram, you don't really feel like you know a person. Why don't hear them? Like when I hear Meek mill speak, I know he's interested in business because I could hear it in him, like you know what I'm saying. I could hear him asking questions and it's like you actually feel like you're on the phone with like you know what I'm saying. So it's interesting. It's interesting. I think they just gotta you know, they It's like all things, you just gotta just make it a little bit more, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: For you guys in terms of the guests you want to get, that's an easy like lay up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great it's a great networking. It's great networking too. Every time I go in there, I learned some different things from different people. Shout out to Doug Out and Dug Out in Philly too.
Speaker 5: Oh Doug.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I learned some stuff from him, Like he said some stuff that I didn't know. So I mean it is good to go on there and you can gain some information for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Doug made me upgrade my Tesla. So I brought my Tesla first and I showed Doug. So then Doug upgraded his Tesla to the self drive. So all about process self driving and self drive in the city.
Speaker 4: You got a self driving Tesla? Yeah, how does that work? Oh? You could use it now and wherever everywhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So how it works is it is still a little robotic, so so Doug and Neo and I was just like little kids. We went to the parking lot of Target one night and literally we were in the car and he made on his app the car drive to him. So Neo and I in the back tripping.
Speaker 2: I was like to come pick him up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to come pick him.
Speaker 4: Up, Like, well, can you do it while you're in the car, Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah yeah. But he wanted to show us the feature that allows you to have the car drive out of the parking spot to you at the front store.
Speaker 4: So you can go on the street right now and drive and not drive.
Speaker 5: It's called some in your car and.
Speaker 4: You can have it like drive you to the grocery store. Oh oh oh street legal and street legal now to do that.
Speaker 5: It is, but but it has to have it has to have you touch it every thirty seconds, so you can't just be hands off.
Speaker 2: You can't fall asleep.
Speaker 5: No, no, you could before they made the update.
Speaker 4: So it's like cruise control kind of.
Speaker 5: But in the city, if you put the GPS on, Let's say I want to go to Target. If I'm home, targets five miles, the car will go in this direction. It will stop at stop times. In order to go, you do have to push the gas and then they will go again on its own. It'll make the right on its own. It's which is laying on its own. And the car is actually a better driver than me. Like I am a Philly driver, so I'm like, oh that's my exit the car yo. The car put me back in the lane and like, and I missed my exit because I didn't tell the car we were getting over with the turn signal. Now I was pissed, but I was happy because that's how you avoid collision. I feel like I was good though.
Speaker 4: You know the cars, that's crazy.
Speaker 5: You do if you give you driven the Tesla yet Nah, So all you do is you go put it online, put you one hundred dollars do and depending on your dealership, they'll let you hold it for the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're putting one out here like right, neighborhood go for you.
Speaker 5: Get your car for the weekend. I'm telling you you're never going to go back to like a regular car because you know, you you park up, you could just watch you Netflix and the screen is crazy. They're want to integrate zooming it really soon. So you could take your calls the car is so quiet that I can do business calls from the car because it don't sound like you're in a car, if that makes sense. My dog really enjoys it is. He seats in the bag as well, like it is really fun. No, I have a three, so I have a three long range. The three is super sporty. A tracks men like no other. I wasn't that wasn't the purpose of it. Like when I first got the car, men like grown men was pulling up to the car like I thought the boy was gonna come in the window. He was like, he's like, you like that car. I was like, I do. I do? Now I am licensed, so I don't know what it's about.
Speaker 2: To you.
Speaker 5: And just back up a bit.
Speaker 4: COVID please please, And he said, oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: So I'm just so excited. I wish I knew you soth like man man, let me take you out to dinner. And I'm like, I'm like, did you just ask to know me?
Speaker 2: I wis on it.
Speaker 5: I am like a little boil the inside. And I like to race people on Broad Street, especially because the COVID is not on trainsic. Yeah, so long story short, this guy had a what's the fast ones? It my say, Camaro, which one's the fast one?
Speaker 2: Uh, Camara, It depends, depends.
Speaker 5: Let's take Camara, right. So he had a Camaro. This is like the height of COVID is nobody outside, and I really just wanted to air this car. I just wanted to drive it. So I seen him and I'm like, he's going to be my little big So I had to act all cute like sound was slow and then it has a sixty second celebration without the upgrade two point now was upgrade two point seven and sixty seconds and I was off like four lights. It feel like a roller yo. When I tell you, he ran life just to catch up. And this again, we're in Philly, so we don't know how this could go. Luck me, I'm cute because he was like if you wasn't cute, yos room everything, what's your number y'all? And I'm like, no, no, I just want to race. It was fun. I digress. There's nothing to do with anything we talked about, although I just oh, but let me do it. Let me bring it back. Financial for you guys, I was an early investor of Tesla because on my manifestation board for over five years.
Speaker 4: How early five years ago.
Speaker 5: I had to start buying Tesla stock.
Speaker 2: Are you good? Yeah? You held it, numbers still got it. Yeah, Because my.
Speaker 5: Thing is I always wanted to own Tesla before I owned the Tesla, and so when I brought my Tesla this year, I felt really good about it because I was already involved. I already knew what updates was coming the company. Yeah, I wanted you want to buy the Tesla in my opinion, coming out of the pandemic, because why they're not selling them. I got myns right when the dealership opened back up, and they were so happy to see me because hey, they haven't been selling any cars. And not to be funny, the Tesla buying experience, that's how you know things could be better, was ten minutes. Y'all, go online, do your app credit, pool my credit straight boom, Hi missus, congratulations, you want to come tomorrow morning pick up the car? A matter of fact, just go ahead, accept your terms. No paperworkers need to hit the dealership with Just ask for your ID. We'll do a virtual walk through when you get here, all right, see soon, So I get there. Oh yeah, he was with me. My friend was with me. Right, and me and my mom and him, we pull up, we'll know what's happening. They're on the inside of the glass, the cars parked out, shiny clean, ready to go, charged up. They're like, okay, what you're gonna do? Because of COVID, they will virtually walk me through and then you just pull off. I still feel like I.
Speaker 2: Stole the car, Like it would have been crazy if they just asked you for your address and like, yeah, were gonna send it to you in the morning.
Speaker 5: Well they could drop it off if you had that want to go to the dealership to take a picture.
Speaker 4: Okay, you got to you gotta get a deal, Yes, spokesman, that was a hell of a pitch. That was a hell of a pitch for Tesla. Tesla for sure. So let's talk about Let's end it with your e book. Yes, talk about the e book if you if you may.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So it's about fifty pages long. It's a day by day journey. So it's a thirty one day guy to take calling your stud loons or slaying your student loans is the term. So day one, day two, and I wrote the book from the perspective of someone who never ever looked at their student loans. The meat is in the middle when it talks about home buying. I put a lot of loan forgiveness programs in their state loan forgetting his programs in there. I put in information there about you know, I include something about getting the additional streams of income, just because I wanted people to think about how they can also start to pay down their student loan debt. But what I do with the e book that's really different than I feel like a lot of ebooks is I commit to doing bi weekly free calls. So if you buy the e book and the confirmation email, it's clickare for additional classes and resources. I just keep doing free calls on different topics, anything that's related to student loan debt, because I want people to be tapped in and tuned in and for refro. It's like, I'll make a deal with you. This ebook is what twenty nine ninety nine you can continually give free game in a zoom environment. We could take up to a thousand people in the zoom If I need to expand it, I would, but we didn't hit over a thousand, and I just keep doing classes and you can see people really have like eye opening moments. Eight people so far in counting have gotten their loans one hundred percent forgiving through the TPD program, the Total Permanent Disability Program. Some people have had disabilities that are physical, like you can see, that's preventing them from working. Some disabilities like loopis we didn't even probably think about, right, I have LOOPIS, but lupis doesn't have me. Some it's called remission, so I don't take medicine X, Y and Z. But there are some people that are really struggling with loops right now, right, so that would be a call to get your loans forgiven. So the clause is if it's anything that's impacting you from have continuous and steady work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's all right, And we're gonna put the link in our bio of this. If you're watching this on YouTube, and if you're listening on Apple or Spotify, we'll put the link. We also put the link on our website under the alumni tab. So, yeah, twenty nine dollars. If you have student loans, you obviously definitely should get it. And if you have a child, or if you have you know, a niece or nephew, anybody that's going to college. You should educate yourself beforehand, be prepared before. And too many times in our culture we prepare ourselves after something's happened. We're reactionary instead of being proactive. So you got to be proactive. You got to be prepare yourself beforehand. So once again, thank you, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a pleasure real quick.
Speaker 2: And you spoke about the long forgiveness. I just want to add for all teachers, just another little little tidbit like our hack. And so we said that if you apply for it and you work in a Title one school and I'm only speaking this because this has actually happened to me, they usually give you seventeen five or five thousand, dependent on what you're teaching. The seventeen five will go to mathematics and science. However, I argued with my principle that I will teaching health at the time. Health is a science, and so I was able as a physic teacher and a health teacher to get seventeen five old. So that's another one. That's right, that's right. So we got to seventeen five, So that's good to know. So, like sometimes people don't want to work in environments where they title one school, which makes no sense because any environment could be a tile one school. Yeah, they're all tied to one schools. You worked there five years, eighteen thousand dollars off your still loan.
Speaker 5: And it can be five years across.
Speaker 2: The board, across the board. Yeah, yeah, oh ahead, Yeah you have it.
Speaker 4: And then how did you enjoy teaching at Yo University?
Speaker 5: Oh? Your classes, your students all do, I had said EYL on Live last night. So I have to go down and they're like, oh, I'm a member, I'm a member, And so I think that's so dope because I like that people are investing themselves. Don't you think it's like the best time to be a young black person getting educated. That's why I said, if it don't in the poverty mindset or the check to check myndset, if it don't end with this generation that I don't know which generation it would end with. It has to be us because you have an EYL, you have your I think it's like, I don't tell me for I'm wrong. I feel like the influencers, particularly in this space, in my opinion, have a little more foult than some celebrities.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of celebrities, right. Financial literacy is the new rap.
Speaker 5: It's funny when you look up how much your favorite Clevely makes in a month. Yeah, I make more.
Speaker 4: No, I definitely make more.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So I don't know be my favorite, like I mean, I just I like I see it at the vent or something like. And that's the other thing we don't. We don't want to idolize. I had learned that God gave me a really hard lesson. I know, were wrapping it up, but there was somebody I can't say his name who I really admire, a one in the in the financial industry, I'll tell y'all offline. And I had paid this five thousand dollars ticket to be in his VIP and and I was in Money magazine right behind his cover, and I was excited to tell him I knew his whole team. And he was so rude. And that's and God told me a hard lesson. I mean, like I cried, I'm not even really funny because I really idolized him, right, But God said, don't idalyize me and illize me. Right. So when I when I did that happen to me, I'm like, I'm going to talk next to him one day with CNN the hell like, so I can't even I don't even have I'm not like le fans of anybody anymore because we're all just one connection away from somebody that we are idolized. I can respect their craft, but I can't be like, oh, that's so and so you know my joke is, you know, we having lunch from Oprah soon, you know.
Speaker 4: So that's that's how I that's a fact.
Speaker 2: We got that saying about jay Z. We're gonna keep saying this until he sits next to us. So yeah, so definitely on in trajectory like our chances.
Speaker 4: But I thank you for doing that class that was doping, like I said, just to get the question and answers part of it, and you know it's all experienced. So thank you for joining us, and thank you for doing EL University. I'm sure we'll be doing a bunch of other stuff in the future. Troy housekeeping items.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out to everybody on patreon dot com. I'll probably pay program y'all know that Tier five members, y'all get access to a beautiful university that we were just speaking of. EL University is the number one number one business school and entrepreneurial school in the entire world. So we get shout out to all our earners that have been a part of that, and shout everybody that's supporting to merch the ey l merch. It's moving. Man out to everybody that has gotten our varsity jacket or the assets of a liabilities or the scullies. We greatly appreciate it. Make sure y'all y'all take pictures in it, tag us in it so we can post y'all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, So, thank you guys for rocking with us. Don't forget to subscribe, hit the like button, leave a comment, review, and we will see you guys next week. Peace.
Speaker 3: Peace my graduates from my school being forced back.
Speaker 4: Drop bag drop Mike, drop back drop.
Speaker 2: Coach.
Speaker 7: The energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 3: It was the new game day, scratches from the California Lottery players, everything.
Speaker 4: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 7: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 4: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game.
Speaker 7: That's off of that, coach, one more question played the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace play responsibly. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase play or claim