Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: I'm Jason Kelly, I'm Alex Rodriguez, and today on the Deal, Carolyn Tish blodget. She is a fascinating figure, Alex right at the white Hot center of sports ownership. Her family has co owned the New York Giants for about thirty years. She is now the lead owner of Gotham FC. That's the NWSL franchise here in the New York, New Jersey area. They have been wildly successful and she.
Speaker 3: Is very successful. Yeah, and she has a great background.
Speaker 4: I mean, she was global head of marketing at Peloton where she helped grow that market capture over thirty billion dollars. And I actually think the set of skills that she used there are going to really impact the way she runs Gotham today.
Speaker 2: Knows a lot about growing businesses and growing them fast. All right, here's Carolyn Tish Blodget, So please introduce yourself.
Speaker 5: I'm Carolyn Tish Blodgett, CEO and founder of Next Three, governor of Gotham FC, and strategic advisor to the Tish family at the Giants.
Speaker 3: So, Carolyn, your signature deal.
Speaker 2: I think it's buying Gotham FC, would you agree and tell us about the decision to do that.
Speaker 3: We're jumping right in.
Speaker 5: We are jumping right in exactly. I thought we were in a little warm up. No, we are jumping right in. Okay, well, I am going to take us back for a minute to put the Gotham deal in perspective, although I agree it has been our signature deal so far. So my background's in operating. I ran marketing at Pelton for four years. My family has co owned the New York Giants for the last thirty seven years, and so I started working with my family a few years ago at the Giants. And the idea was really to bring a lot of the innovative things thinking that I learned from Peloton, and bring it to a legacy organization like the Giants. And I realized pretty quickly that obviously not news to either of you, that sports was changing, and we as legacy owners, had an opportunity either to kind of lean back and continue to watch it, or we could lean in and really help drive some of that innovation. And so I brought this idea to my family of starting a sports investment firm. It's now called Next three. To your question on you know is Gotham the signature of it. I would say I started next three really with the agenda only being where do we what do we think sports will look like in the next thirty years? You know, we've been in sports for thirty years, what will the next thirty look like? There was not a thesis or you know, I often now get questions around women's sports and you know, did you start this because you played soccer growing up or you know you have a passion for women's sports, and obviously I now do. But it was really just meant to be what do we think sports will look like in the future, And there was just sign after sign that pointed to the growth of women's and in particular the growth of the NWSL.
Speaker 2: What was that moment like where you decided to make the investment and then essentially you got it, like you're in charge. Tell us about sort of what it felt like in that moment and what you were thinking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, you know, deals always take longer than you think they're going to. So we had actually planned to announce around the World Cup. We had planned to announce when we were going to the playoffs. There were kind of all these moments and then the deal didn't get finished. It didn't get finished, so it ends up closing on a Tuesday, or re anounced it on a Tuesday. We wire the check on Wednesday. On Thursday, I get on a plane to fly out. They were in the championship in San Diego on Thursday. I get off the plane. You know, I'm like still wearing my glasses, can like barely see. I like where my one Gotham sweatshirt I have? And we land and I get to the team hotel and the media person pulls me aside and she's like, great, now you're going to address the team. And I was like wait, need and they're like, yeah, the team's having lunch, you know, stand up and tell them why you're here. And I was so nervous. I was so intimidated, Like I'm looking at this room full of people that are on, you know, two days away from playing in a championship game, completely intimidated. And god knows what I said, but many of the players came up to me after and they all said thank you for being here. And it was this moment where I realized we had so many months to prepare for this moment, and it's going to be so different than we thought it is. This is not, you know, an investment in an ad tech company. This is not even Peloton, which I did feel like I personally threw myself into. This was so personal and I know that you know, most of what we're gonna talk about today is probably you know, how we look at it as an investment. But I think that was the first moment that it was so clear to me that even just showing up and showing our commitment and the idea that an NFL legacy family would make their first ever next investment a sports team, in a women's soccer team, that really said a lot.
Speaker 4: So walk us through how that opportunity comes does Obviously you guys have great relationships in the investment bank community. There's a banker just call you and say, hey, Carolyn, there's an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Walk us through that.
Speaker 1: Yees.
Speaker 5: So it actually came about there were a bunch of other teams that had been raising money around the same time, and so we actually looked at one of the other teams first and then of yoursell Yeah, and we looked at it and it was the first time we even had We didn't even go when we started next three. It wasn't clear to me that we were going to invest in another team. That was not the idea. The idea was again more kind of supporting companies around what would make us better owners, you know, at the Giants, and so we didn't even think about investing a team. But this, this deal came across our desk and we started looking at it, and then we started getting into like we realized quickly, wow, there's a lot there's a lot of exciting momentum and women's sports they're sort of on the cusp of really you know, if a few things could go differently, like this league could really be onto something. So we started kind of going down the path of looking at the league and we ended up actually looking at a few different teams in the league. Then we put our New York hat on and said, wait a second, we are legacy New York owners. There's a great story in our family that people often say, when my grandfather ended up buying fifty percent of the Giants, he actually had an opportunity to buy one hundred percent of a few other teams in which would have been a much less complicated deal. And he always said, you know, I'm a poor kid from Brooklyn to be able to buy fifty percent of the New York Giants. I would take that any day over one hundred percent of you.
Speaker 3: Know, any other team.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Great vision.
Speaker 5: So that was really in my head and so we so we said, you know what if we could could come in with to the New York team with Gotham. And so I approached the governor's wife, Tammy Murphy, who is the governor at the time.
Speaker 2: I will never Phil Murphy, the New Jersey governor, and Tammy Murphy has one Yes, Sorry.
Speaker 5: I should have cleared that up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the Murphy started Gotham. They are the original founders and so and there are partners. And so I went out to New Jersey and told them why we should be their partners. Wow, very intimidating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did they say? And what was your pitch? Good question.
Speaker 5: So I talked about you know, our obviously our our legacy as Giants co owners. But then I mostly actually talked about Pelton and I talked about my experience there and how I felt like this team was on the precipice of being great, but it needed you know, stronger marketing support and stronger you know, needed to be more part of culture, and that was something that I could uniquely bring. And Jammy's incredible. She gets more done in a day than any human being.
Speaker 3: I believe exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and she just you know, she like cuts to the chase. This seems like it could work. Brought me over to Phil. We talked to Phil and that started the conversations.
Speaker 2: What was the pitch back to your family? Like, what was that process?
Speaker 5: Justek I made sure my family was okay with them before she sure went to the Murphys and asked for that. So the pitch to them, I would say. The three kind of markers that showed us that this could be an interesting investment were The first was around this lack of visibility historically women's soccer. Even if there has always been a core women's soccer fan base, small but strong, but you couldn't find it on TV. So you were never even if you were a strong, really strong fan, you were you could either show up to a game in person if you lived in that market, or you know, sometimes I think they were on Lifetime in the past, not exactly like where you're finding your average casual sports fan. So there was no opportunity for casual sports fans to come in. So we knew that the nwslth through a research, was about to sign a new media deal. We didn't know what it was going to look like, but we knew, okay, what that new media deal will probably open the door to more casual fans. The second piece was around a lack of investment in women's sports. As you know, ninety nine percent of investments historically in sports have gone to the men's game. At this point, because we had looked at a few other teams, we knew that was starting to change. Legacy owners and other leagues were starting to come into this league. There were starting to be you know, it was starting to be better capitalized. And then the last piece, which was a bit more of a risk at the time and now seems kind of laughable looking back, was this kind of lack of being in culture. So for a long time, women's sports were just not a part of culture. It was not something people talked about. And now again, you know, a year later, I feel like all anyone talks about is Kaitlyn Clark and that everyone watches women's sports shirt is like the hot shirt to be wearing around New York now, So obviously that's changed. But that was another one where we said, Okay, is this something that could change in the future in a world where we're in an athlete driven world and people and their star power and there's all these great players within the league. Could that translate into growth and teams? And so those were the three vectors that we looked at the deal at and I brought that to my family and they were I have to say, they again didn't wake up thinking like I wonder if we'll buy a women's soccer team one day, but they were incredibly supportive from day one.
Speaker 3: So let's talk a little bit about the market of New York. There's a gift in a curse.
Speaker 4: I was fortunate enough in two thousand and nine to be part of a world championship team with the Yankees. And you've experienced over the last thirty years multiple titles, and you've tasted the glory of being a champion. However, there's ten or eleven other teams here. How do you think about cutting through the noise of winning a title and not being in the front pages like the Giant or the Yankees.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the way you said it is exactly right. It's a gift in a curse. So in some ways it's the number one media market, you know, the incredible fandom here, but it's really crowded, as you said. So again, two days into our ownership, we win the championship where all I'm flying back with my family and I'm like, it's so excited to read about it in the newspaper, like everyone in the world must be talking about the fact that Gotham just won. And we open the sports pages and we're like, okay, it's not on the cover. Understandable, Fine, you know, women's source is still growing, and we're like, okay, it's not on page two. Okay, it's not a page three, And we keep going and going, going, and there's literally not covered. And then we open our news feeds, like on our phones, is it on social media?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: And it's just no one was talking about it. And I think that, really, I think crystallized that moment of Okay, we're not in culture right now, and that is on us to go build. So, first of all, I should say that since then, the two winning sports teams in New York are the women's sports teams, right sure, and they obviously you know very much are part of culture here now. But that has been part of the work we've done in the last year is building those relationships with the local newspapers, with people that kind of build New York culture. We had our players drop the ball at Times Square, we had a big media event. I can't remember you hear that. I was at the Rainbow Room when we introduced our free agents. So we have been kind of brick by brick building our story in New York because as hard as it is to break into the New York sports scene, once you're in, there's nowhere better to win a championship than New York.
Speaker 2: And let's talk about that because you know you mentioned the Liberty, which you know when the twenty four finals, Sorry too soon, No, I mean, thank you Jack. Amazing series at the distance and you know, but one of the things that I think was very notable, and Alex and I have talked a lot about this is how well curated the court side seats are. You know, I went to your first ever playoff game. You go through that suite, there are there's Eli Manning, there's Justin Tuck, there's Rich Climan, there's Megan Rappino, Sue Bert, you know all of these luminaries it is in the culture.
Speaker 3: It feels like it's suddenly in the culture. So what happened?
Speaker 2: I mean, Caitlin Clark not with standing for the WNBA, there's something bigger going on.
Speaker 3: How do you respond to that? But also how do you help create it?
Speaker 5: I'm so glad you brought that up, because that was very deliberate. We really studied. I think in the past year when I've thought about, you know, who do we bring in to help run this team On the business side, it's been a real mix of in and out of sports. And part of why we did that is because we didn't want to just say, like, what is the typical NWSL playbook and let's go run it back. We wanted to look across all of sports outside of sports, like who does it well in culture more broadly, and so the person who now runs marketing for us, she looked very closely at what does court side at the Knicks look like? What does it mean when you go to a Yankees or a Yankees World Series game? Who's there, what types of people are there, what is the fan experience like? And so that that was It's been a very deliberate build. So part of it is just having the vision to do it. The other part is the execution. And the reason I think we've been able to execute it well is because it all starts with having the best product on the field and kind of putting my marketing head on. You can't market a bad product like you have to have the right product first. And we knew we had that. We have some of the best players in the world. We had all these Olympians that are you know, on our team at Awtham, so we know we have a great product. Now the job was to go build a great fan experience around that product. So it wasn't just ninety minutes of soccer. It was you know, the hour before at FanFest, it was who was in the suite, as you said, and so that was kind of the second part was like building that great experience so that when people come, whether it's your average fan who plays local soccer or it's Eli Manning or Superbird, that you want to be there and you want to tell all your friends about it and you want to come back.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a bit about the Giants if we can. It's probably worth about seven billion dollars. You know, if you look at the estimates Gotham maybe less than one hundred million dollars. They would seem incompatible from a scale perspective. Clearly their learnings back and forth. You're spending time at both. What are the most obvious connections that you take back and forth and what are some that you know maybe we wouldn't think of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you put it like that, they do something pretty far apart. They don't feel like it in the day to day.
Speaker 3: So don't that's interesting? So it feels similar?
Speaker 5: Well, I would say the challenges feel different, but maybe like my personal passion for both feel similar. Maybe we'll say that. So I would say that probably the most clear synergies are just the learning sharing going on between the two. So as we're building up the business staff at Gotham for them to be able to call people at the Giants and say like, hey, how do you think about, you know, selling sponsorships, how we're thinking about putting in like a new CRM system, How did you guys think about that? Even on the soccer side, we are GM and I spoke to Aaron Wellman, who's the head of performance at the Giants, just about like, how do you put a medical staff together. So the idea that you can at any point when you have a question, you can pick up the phone and have a resource there to call is really fantastic and.
Speaker 3: They know that, they just know that that's available to them.
Speaker 2: You just you created that so that you say, do you need something at the Giants, just I'll connect to you.
Speaker 3: Like, how does that work in practice?
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, that's a good question. Yes, So I created that from the beginning, and part of it I think was built allowing the Gotham team to build the respect with the Giants organization so that they didn't feel like, oh, who is this person calling me? It's like they have they feel vested in it. And it's actually been amazing to see how many Giants employees have become Gotham fans. And every time about the Giants' offices for work, often people came running over to me and I think they're there to talk to me about something about the Giants, and they really just want to talk about Gotham. So that's really hap.
Speaker 3: They're probably talking to you about them fair fair.
Speaker 5: Too soon, I think, but yes, you're probably right. Yes, So there is this sort of you know, great syndergies. I would say, kind of behind the scenes on the business side, the things that I think that I hadn't really because to your point, you know, the valuations are very different. The tenure the Giants are celebrating their hundredth anniversary. Gotham is, you know, a couple of years in. Is the way that we think about fandom is so different. Yet I think there's really great learnings across them. So, for example, in the NFL, fandom is often generational. You know, you're a Giants fan because your father was a Giants fan and your grandfather was a Giants fan, and maybe there was a female fan in there, but it was probably your father and your grandfather. So it's very you know, it's passed down. It's very geographic. It's like you're a Giants fan because that's who you could watch on TV because you lived in New York or you still live in New York. At Gotham, we're really building fandom from the ground up. Soccer is the number one sport played amongst youth in this country. So often parents are learning about soccer through their kids, and their kids play soccer and then they don't. Actually, that doesn't just because you play in your local soccer team doesn't necessarily translate to oh and then I go watch my favorite soccer team on TV or I go to a game. And so that's what we're trying to do at Gotham is build that kind of ground up fandom. However, there's actually a lot to be you know, both teams could benefit from the other and so there are families where Soccer's is generational, So how do we bring that fandom to Gotham and then at the Giants figuring out how do you get you know, a next generation of fans that may not have that in their blood. It might not be passed down, but needs to be built from the ground up. There's a lot of great lessons in there.
Speaker 4: Talk about fandom. Staying on that subject, over the last thirty years, your family have caned the Giants and we understand very clearly how fans consume content. How do you think about it with your Peloton background, the next five to ten, even thirty years, how does that look and how different is it than the past thirty?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think this is actually one of the things we were really excited about in our Gotham investment was the way that people are consuming sports is so different now. The avidity is still there, but it might not be that you sit and watch a whole four hour game. You're probably connecting through social media. You're probably connecting through athletes. There is this sort of athlete driven I don't need to tell you this, there's this you know, athlete driven culture now. And so that if you think about that from a giant's perspective, that is leaning into digital, that is leaning into social, that really sets us up well at Gotham. There's when I was at Peloton, that was one of the early insights we realized as people would walk around saying like, I love Pelton, I love Peloton, and then when you ask them a follow up question, it always gets to I love Ali love or I love Robin. I can't end my day without Cody. And so we saw an opportunity to build the Peloton brand, but to build it via our stars, via our instructors. And that's very much something we're thinking about at Gotham is we want to continue to build love for the Gossam brand. One of the ways we can do that is to help tell the stories of our incredible players both on and off the field, and use and take the love for Rose Level and bring that to Gotham as well.
Speaker 2: And so let's talk about Peloton, because it's clearly formative for you. And I would love to go back sort of to the beginning, because you know, you go to Yale, then you go to Harvard Business School, you come out, you work for PepsiCo, you don't go into the family business, and then you go to what's then a relatively unknown startup called Peloton. Tell us about that decision and what did you experience when.
Speaker 3: You got there.
Speaker 5: So I might just take us back from one moment because I actually thought that I wanted I was going to go work at the Giants. I did some I just had a baby, and I left PEPs and I started doing a little consulting work for the Giants, and it didn't It was what I always thought I wanted to do, and it, for variety of reasons, just didn't feel right at that moment. They were very focused on what was happening on the football side, and I was kind of bringing these like new innovative ideas and it just it didn't feel right. And the reason I bring that up is because I probably would have never landed at Peloton had that experience not happened because I had really built my entire career wanting to go work at the team, and then I got there and it didn't really work right. So then I was very open to sort of like, all right, I'll try anything because I don't really know what my path looks like now. And so I go to Peloton. And I had always been sort of personally passionate about fitness, but didn't really see that as a career necessarily. And I had so many friends from business school in particular at the time being like, what are you doing? Why are you doing that? Like or have you gotten crazy? Is this like an early mid life crisis? And the early days I just I'd never worked at a startup, and so the early days, you know, I came in under a brand marketing title, under a CMO who then left pretty quickly after I started. So then was given a much larger set of responsibilities and it was just to roll up your sleeves and figure it out as you go.
Speaker 4: And the founder and CEO, John Foley, what was it in that first meeting? What did he say that you said, Okay, I gotta come work here.
Speaker 5: So John, in the first meeting, he said, We're going to go build one of the best brands in the world. And I'm sitting there in this we work on twenty ninth in Madison, when no one had ever heard of them, and at the time it was you know, this was like the Soul cycle, Flywheel, heyday. So Pelton was this like distant third And I left and I called my husband and I was like, Okay, he might be crazy, but he also might be right.
Speaker 3: And I think it's a yes, and it's a.
Speaker 5: Yes, Yes, that's probably right. That's probably true.
Speaker 3: And I love Dolly and I would say yes, day, Yes, that's a.
Speaker 5: Lot of every founders a lot crazy. Yeah, feel might say that about me too. So anyway, it just the opportunity to have that vision of we're literally in a startup where thousands of investors have told you, no, we're selling you know, at that point, we'd sold maybe one hundred bikes. I mean, this was nothing. And he's sitting there saying we're going to We're not just like we're going to be a successful company, but we're going to be one of the most I think he actually didn't just say best, he said one of the most important brands in the world, and I thought, wow, I don't know how we're going to do that, but I love to be a part of it.
Speaker 4: So Jase, I do have a quick follow up on that, because I remember in the Covid days the stock market cap went up to like thirty five billion or so plus or minus. Looking back in retrospect, for our viewers, what is the lesson What could John and your team have done to keep it at that level or keep it like a really strong business.
Speaker 5: So I left in twenty twenty, so I just mindful I was not there in those moments. I was there in the peak and then not in the bull. I think one of the challenges I think for a peloton is there was there were always a lot of questions around what our TAM was, So what was our total addressable market? How big could this thing get? What Covid did was accelerate the growth so fast that I think it questioned what that TAM was. And so there were people buying bikes that would have never thought about buying a bike before, but it was Covid. You couldn't leave, you couldn't go to the gym, and so I think one of the lessons was, you know, being really thoughtful around what the sustainable tam was. Like we always knew at some points the pandemic would end, So like what is the addressable market outside of a pandemic and really anchor the business in That would be my lesson.
Speaker 2: And so as you look back on the you know, you talked about sort of the star instructors, but there's also this this moment of fast growth and you know, seizing the moment as it were, which does lead to this question of sustainability for the growth of women's sports and women's soccer. How do you think about that? What worries you? Like, what are the things that could get in the way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we talk a lot at ARCHAEMC Gotham now about sustainable growth and what does that look like? I think I go back to something I said earlier about like making sure you're the best product first, because the only way that a marketing funnel that is built on word of mouth works is when there's no leak in the bucket, right, So like if you think of a marketing funnel of like, oh, where you know, I find out about it, I consider it, I try it, and then ideally, which I think is what's happening with us at Gotham and happened with us A Peltin is like, oh, and then I love it so much, I'm going to come back and I'm going to tell all my friends if people are churning at the bottom. If people come to a game, they buy a Pelton bike and they don't like it, they stop using it so they stop paying. Or if people come to a Gotham game and don't have a good experience and don't come back, that whole model breaks down. And so when I think about sustainability, I think about ensuring that that product is great first. And I don't just mean we're winning games, although obviously that helps. I mean the fan experience, the way we show up, you know, how people interact with our players on social media, and like, it's kind of the whole product. I would call it. That has to be right first for the rest of it to follow.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if you think about this too, Alex, this notion of.
Speaker 2: You know, you control your team, and you know when you have ultimate decision making authority when it comes to that you and your team, and yet you're also part of a collective group of people who are making decisions on behalf of the league, and you know you've been a part of this, Alex and obviously you're experiencing this now with the NWSL. What is that like to try and get everybody and to be an influential voice in a room of governors, which you are.
Speaker 5: So that's been something that's been so interesting about this league. And I had heard it coming in and I very much seen it and feel it for myself too. Is there's the owners around the tables. Many own other teams in other leagues as well, and or have other big businesses. Many spend a disproportionate amount of their time on their NWSL team than they do on other things. Interesting kind of to your point on like the seven billion versus one hundred million of like, yes, in theory that would mean you shouldn't spend time on one hundred million, and I'd probably spend more time on that than anything else. So there's this feeling of you know, people are spending a disproportion amount of time on it. The question is why, I think there's a general feeling of we all see what this can be. We're all here for a reason, we all believe in what this league can look like. However, that is not going to happen by any of us leaning back. We all need to Everybody needs to do their part, and whether that's you know, put on the being on the commercial committee and pushing on that, whether it's on the sporting committee and thinking about how do you keep having a competitive product on the field. Whatever, those decisions are that you're kind of leading as a governor for the league are so critical because we are quite literally creating the future of the league with the decisions we're making now, are dictating what the future of the league is going to look like. So I think all of us feel this responsibility to really lean in and engage in the league and think about and make decisions that are not just right for our teams, but right for the better the you know, the entire group.
Speaker 4: What's been something as now a governor, a recent governor that has surprised you on the good side and some things that are a little bit more challenging than you even expected.
Speaker 5: I think one thing that has really surprised me is this collaboration across owners. I think ironically now I'm kind of one of like the more tenured owners, even though I have been there for a year because there's been so much ownership. But there's been this feeling, I think from day one, of we will all win when the other teams win too. And so when Willow Bay just came in an Angel City a few wants to go, you know, I immediately reached out to her and said, like, here's my phone number, call me anytime I want to help you. I want Angel City to succeed because Gotham will succeed when Angel Cities, just using them as an example, will succeed. And I had other owners do the same for me, and so there is this, you know, collective feeling we have. All the CBOs spend a lot of time together, the chief business officers, and they'll even on things like sponsorship, which in theory you're kind of competing with each other. They'll discuss the deal with each other because we know that if Bay is out there, not that they would be doing this, but like selling at a lower price than we're selling it that hurts each other. And so we all are in this together, and so there's been this real kind of we're all better when, you know, when we're all helping each other feeling that I surprised me. I thought of it as a more like, oh, we're competitors on the field, so we're competitors always, and it is very much not felt that way.
Speaker 2: You know, sort of going back to this sort of synergies for a second between Gotham and the Giants. I mean, I wonder, as you're going through some of these decisions or decision making processes at Gotham, are you calling your uncle and being like, hey, I'm running into this. Have you run into this over the past thirty years? Like what are some inflection points that you think might be similar? Because NFL thirty years ago it was big, but it wasn't anything like it is now.
Speaker 5: Right right, Yeah, I think there's been this very open you know, across there's also a fair amount of NFL owners within the league as well. Mark Wilf and I both sit on the executive committee at the end of us OLT together. And what's actually interesting is that then there's also owners from NBA teams, so David Blitzer is also on the executive committees. There's MLB owners with the Ricketts. So there's been this great ability, I think for everyone to come with their individual their like other league perspective, but also with a feeling of we don't have to follow, like, let's go take the best of what everyone else does and also chart our own path. And so there's this really you know, interesting shared learning happening where for any given question, it's okay, well Mark's going to tell you how it's done at the NFL, and David's going to tell you how it's done the NBA, and but let's actually pause and think do we want to do it any of those ways or do we want to do it differently? And that's been a really productive conversation.
Speaker 3: And so your work with the Giants is interesting too.
Speaker 2: You know, the day that that got them hosted its first ever home playoff game, you were meant to be in Germany with the Giants because they were playing I believe their first international game.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 5: They played in London in Germany.
Speaker 3: First in Germany. Excuse me.
Speaker 2: You have been a huge proponent of that inside the Giants organization.
Speaker 3: Talk to us.
Speaker 2: About that, especially as it feels like it illustrates part of what your role.
Speaker 3: Is within the Giants.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that day gave new meaning to trying to be in two places at once. It did not work, but I had been in Germany and then I left to come home for the Golfen game. So yeah, one of the things that I've tried to bring to the Giants is again this sort of like how do you build a modern brand perspective that I gained a Peloton and so international is a big piece of that. Fandom in the NFL again has been generational, as I said, but it's also been very geographically defined. You were a Giants fan because you live in New York and there's really only the just you know, to compete with now as you think about you and be a fan from anywhere. If you're a fan because you're a fan of a player, if Patrick Mahomes is your favorite player, doesn't matter that you don't live in Kansas City. You're a Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Fan and may never go to a Kansas City Chiefs game and may.
Speaker 5: Never go to a game. That's a really important point too. You could be the most dedicated fan on Earth and never go to a game. So how do you build that relationship with fans that are never going to walk into your stadium. That's really different, and I do think actually there are a lot of lessons from Peloton in that we had. You know, in our early days of Peloton, everyone knew the instructors, you know personally, they would give them a hug after the game. The instructors were giving them shout outs in class. As we scaled, we had to professionalize it. Instructors were kind of cordoned off from the members and so that kind of like the growing pains of that, you know, changed over time. So anyway back to the Giants being in Germany, so building a global brand that is where the NFL is going, and how the Giants show up and do that. I think there are a lot of lessons from the Peloton. There's a lot of lessons even from Gotham of how do you go build old fandom when you don't have the geographic roots. Because we are in Germany, we are competing. Kansas City is a good example. They have the rights to Germany as well. We're as much competing with Kansas City as we are you know in New York with the Jets.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: You know what's interesting about the way that male and female consume content and get really excited about it. I find that some of my boys are only about wins and losses, right, They don't care about you know sports radio, and when I talk to my daughters about the Links or Gotham or any team, what gets them excited is a storytelling and that's a way to connect. What ways are you thinking about from your players to connect to your fan base to help grow their brand.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think you bring up such a good point around storytelling and content that is increasingly I think we see for all of our fans that telling those stories they are players have such interesting stories to tell. I read something interesting recently around actually female athletes are so much better at story telling then male athletes. So you do again back to the kind of the investment thesis around like we're in an athlete driven world, We're in a content driven world. You have female athletes like you could you know the writings on the wall of where that could go. So content is is a really big piece of it. And telling those stories, you know, to your point, not just who they are on the field, but who they are off the field. We have one of our players as a cancer survivor, we need to tell that story. We have players who are incredibly into fashion and they were at the front row of fashion weeks, so we need to tell that story. Rose level. One of our players has this dog who has sort of like gone viral. The dog sort of has its own personality and Instagram. So being able to tell those stories and really kind of explain who our players are in the rest of their lives is really key to our growth story.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of content, you know, one of the interesting decisions the Giants made, and I know you're very involved in sort of the marketing side, in the brand side, was Hard Knocks off season, which went viral in a lot of ways. Really truly behind the scenes on some very big decisions, including Saquon.
Speaker 3: Barkley going to the Eagles.
Speaker 2: Talk about that strategy, how it works for the Giants, and then what you take away for something like Gotham.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that doing more kind of what I would call like off helmet content is something that I've been really passionate about it and talking to the Giants about for a long time. If you look at shows like Drive to Survive, they were really the first to do it. It introduced a new audience into a sport that might have not been appealing for a lot of people. There are the number of people who texted me after Hard Knocks and said like Wow, I never thought I would ever watch the NFL before, and it's just a way to bring in a new audience, introduce the players, and introduce the brand in a really different way. And so that is something that I think the NFL will continue to do and we absolutely look at it Gotham as well as and how do we tell those stories in a different way so that you bring in a casual fan. The NFL is always going to have their hardcore at football fans, but there is a whole world of casual sports fans that you can bring in by doing this type of content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think about you know, Midge Purse, who is you know, like Forgotham was a guest on this show and her show off season, you know, was a completely different view of the NWSL and female soccer players, which I think literally had never happened to that totoint.
Speaker 3: There was there was not a show like that before that. There was there was no model out there.
Speaker 2: So I do want to go back to this idea of what happens next for the for the NWSL, because you know, we've talked a lot about the the WNBA. We've had kandas Parker super Bird on this show, you know, the overnight sensation of the WNBA after twenty eight years, you know, everybody really coming on to it. NWSL is a little bit not as far along in its journey, a couple failed leagues, you know, on the way here. What is the next thing that has to happen and what do you worry about?
Speaker 5: So we talked to you know, a lot about you know, starting with the product. I think that next step then is the fan. So how do you get fans to show up to games? Yeah, and I think about my time again kind of going back to my peloton days. Is we had to create a category. No one was sitting around thinking like I wish I could go buy a bike that streamed my favorite spin class in my living room. We literally wrote the term connected fitness, which is now you know, a term.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Not that we are inventing women's soccer at Gotham obvious at the league obviously that has existed for a long time, but we are this kind of the point of breaking into culture. We have to go create this category. We have to go create the demand for people to come. There are the core fans, but to break out and get and fill stadiums and sell out over and over. We have to go create that demand. So again I go back to this idea of like, we have a great product, now we have to go create a great fan experience around it in game. Then we have to think about the three hundred and sixty five days a year, how do we build that, you know, fandom and that relationship with fans. I think consumers come first, and you're starting to see that we had record breaking attendance at our first ever playoff game. I know the Washington Spirits sold out. I think Kansas City has sold out all of their games this year, So you are starting to see the fandom there. That is kind of I would say step one and how we think about it at Gotham. I think then sponsorship and partnerships like those come later. Typically, I think you do see brands kind of follow like consumers always go first. But I would say in terms of like what are the risks, what are the opportunities, I think that is like the next step to come.
Speaker 3: So the risk is people just stop showing up.
Speaker 5: Well, yes, I mean in theory, of course, there is. We look at a metric called net promoter score. It's again a tech metric that we brought into women's soccer and our NPS score. So NPS has measured one hundred to negative one hundred, So a score of zero is actually not that bad. Our scores are typically in the high eighties. That isn't a believable score. Apple, I think is like sixty. I want to say Starbucks is in the seventies. And these are really high numbers. So people want when they come to the game, they want to come back. Yes, in theory, it could all fall apart and people could stop showing up.
Speaker 3: You've got to get them there.
Speaker 5: We have to get them there, and I think that has been probably the biggest challenge from the beginning and why we've been so deliberate about, you know, finding new ways to get people there. There's always been this debate within the league of like do you do comps do not do comps. I've been a big believer in comps because, again, if you go back to.
Speaker 2: The meaning complimentary tickets, giving out complimentary tickets Storr delivery, yes, sorry.
Speaker 5: Complimentary tickets because it is not on people's radar on day one. So if you get them there and you kind of bring them into that marketing funnel, they will come back.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk a little bit about what's next for next three?
Speaker 3: First of all, is next three? Next three? Decades? Is that?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: What is it? Next three? People? What is next three?
Speaker 5: So next three? My husband actually came up with the name. When you play pick up basketball, which I don't frequently but he does, I guess are used to when you win a game, then the person will say like, all right, next three up. And it's this idea of like, all right, you one. Now you're thinking about like what's the next who are the next three? You're playing like we're leaning into the future. It is clever. I wish I could say it more concisely.
Speaker 4: Talk to me a little bit about you know some of your ops, how do you think about pitching it, you know, outside of your family? And also how do you deal with being a control partner? And most funds have the burden investment and exit? How do you know go through those challenges?
Speaker 5: Yes, so I'm definitely I'm not an investor. I'm now sitting here today, I'm like, I wish I had taken those classes in business school. I did not. So it is just our family. So the LP so it's my mom, Laurie Tish, her two brothers, John and Steve, who are the three owners of the Giants, and then everyone in my generation, all my cousins, my sister and my cousins. So I think we have the benefit of really running it more like a family office than a fund, which means, to your point, we're not necessarily thinking about the exit. We're not even obviously we are returns driven, but we're not just returns driven. And I think that's been really important in how we've looked at investments, because every investment we look at, we ask ourselves the question, why are we on the cap table? Why are we the ones sitting here today? And if the answer is they just want capital, then we're probably we're not going to do the deal because there are plenty of people that are better investors probably then have a larger team to invest than we do. The reason where they are often is because of my experience at Peloton and or our legacy co ownership of the Giants, and now increasingly because of our role at Gotham. And so the reason I say all that is because we look at investments sometimes because we think it will make us better at the rest of our jobs, and so We've looked at investments that will potentially make us better NFL owners will teach us about what One of our investments is this company called transmit Live, which they help kind of run the back end of ad tech as sports move to streaming. They run a lot of the ad tech in advertising for streaming. Anyway, the reason I bring that up is I hope it does well, and it actually is doing very well. We also did that investment because sports will continue to move to streaming and media deals are an increasingly important part of the valuations around owning teams, and so for us to get smart on what that looks like makes us better owners and makes us be able to have more intelligent conversations, you know, sitting around boardroom. So a lot of the deals we look at, we are there again for the returns, but we're also there because of what we're learning.
Speaker 3: So Karena, stayin on next three.
Speaker 4: What do you see in the future, I mean, can you see another team, can you see your show of minustake, WNBA team or anything else.
Speaker 5: We're still actively looking at investments. I think the past year has been a bit of a heads down, Like we got to get Gotham to where it needs to be. But we're I say to my team every day, we were very deliberately. We didn't start Next three to buy Gotham, and we're we started Next three because we want to be at the forefront of where sports is going. Women's sports and women's soccer is very much a part of that, but it's not the only place sports are going. So we are still actively looking at other things. I don't know what those will be yet, but we continue to believe that there is more happening in sports that we want to be a part of.
Speaker 2: You know, obviously both of you have this shared experience of you know, getting into ownership. Has going into Gotham like changed your personal visibility?
Speaker 3: Like do you feel like you're sort of out there more?
Speaker 2: Because I don't know if I'm asking this well, but you know, with the Giants, it's like it's your family, but for Gotham, like you're you're the face, Like you know, you're the you're the person like on the JumboTron when they cut to the owner's box.
Speaker 3: To see to see the reaction. What's that been like for you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think I realized that was going to be that it was going to be that. I think when we decided again, I thought it was a good deal. I thought it was you know, I thought it was a good thing for our family to be in. I don't think I realized how much it was personally going it was going to be tied to my personal identity. The number of messages I get from you know, old friends in college or business school that will just kind of randomly reach out to me and say like, thank you for what you're doing for women's sports. And I now take that really seriously. And I didn't. You know, again, we we bought got them because we thought it was a good investment. I don't think I appreciated how much I now feel trum. I've always felt tremendous well, I've always felt tremendous pressure. It's probably why I'm so type A, but I've always felt tremendous pressure since starting Next three to deliver the returns to my family, to you know, to make good investments. I now feel a tremendous pressure to help grow women's sports. And that's a different level of pressure. Is I now feel like this kind of societal pressure and cultural pressure to realize, like I think we all are clear on what the dream is for women's sports, and I feel very responsible for the execution of that. So it is a different you know, it was not. It was not what I thought would be.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're going to move to our rapid fire segment.
Speaker 2: This is fun, We're going to keep it tight and we'll just bounce back and forth and you know, answer however you see fit?
Speaker 3: All right? What's one word to describe your deal making style?
Speaker 5: Unconventional?
Speaker 3: What's more important your gut, instinct or data?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm the most indecisive person on earth, so I would say both.
Speaker 3: Okay, perfect.
Speaker 4: What's your best piece of advice you've ever received on deal making or business?
Speaker 5: Create a culture where you would want to work.
Speaker 3: What's the worst advice you've ever been given that.
Speaker 5: This was going to be easy?
Speaker 3: What's your hype song before a big meeting or big negotiation.
Speaker 5: Well, I mostly only listen to my kids like Taylor Swift albums, so probably so Taylor Swift version.
Speaker 3: That's fair. Do you have a go to peloton instructor?
Speaker 5: I did go on the Peloton today with Robin Love Robin Robin Arzon.
Speaker 4: If you can only watch one sport for the rest of your life, Which one is it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: My kids always ask me football or soccer. It's so stressful. Probably football.
Speaker 2: Still, what team do you want to see win a championship more than any is a tough one for gotam.
Speaker 4: Do you have a fun fact about yourself that your colleagues would be surprised to hear?
Speaker 5: I am a vegetarian because my sister used to moo at me at the table because she was a vegetarian and she believed me into be hamming one too.
Speaker 3: Perfect, That's true.
Speaker 5: I'm here.
Speaker 3: Ye, Well, this was really fun. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: The Deal is a production from Bloomberg Podcasts and Bloomberg Originals. The Deal is hosted by Alex Rodriguez and Jason Kelly. Our producers are Anamazarakus, Stacey Wong, and Lizzie Phillip. Original music and engineering by Blake Maples. Our managing editor is David E. Ravella. Our executive producers are Jason Kelly, Brendan Francis, Neonham, Jordan Opplinger, Trey Shallowhorn, Kyle Kramer, Andrew Barden, Kelly Laferrier, and Ashley Hoenig. Sage Bauman is our head of Podcasts. Additional support from Rachel Carnivali and Elena sos Angeles. Joshua Devaux is our director of photography. Rubob Shakir is our creative director. Art direction is from Jacqueline Kessler, Casting by Julia Mann, Camera operation by Crystal Jefferson, Holly Fisher and Gaby Demotase. Alex Brown is our gaffer, and Max Garstak and Maximo Maluso are our grips. Our production assistant is Gabriella Demotase. Alex Diaconus is our video editor. Listen to the Deal on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can also tune into the video Companion on Bloomberg Originals and on Bloomberg TV. Thanks for listening.