Speaker 1: Too Much Information is a production of iHeartRadio. Hello everyone, and welcome to Too Much Information, the show that gives you the secret stories, a little known facts behind your favorite music, movies, TV shows, and more. We are your two one eyed Willies of wanton Over explanation. My name's Jordan run Tugg. These are just getting longer and longer.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a run on sentenced by the time we're through with it. And I'm Alex Heigel.
Speaker 1: Yes, and today we are talking about the Goonies. Yes, one of my favorite movies of the eighties. We've had several requests for this one, which is really great. So nice to know that you're as excited about these as we are. Quick PSA. Feel free to reach out with any topic requests, find us on Twitter or whatever. We love to hear from you. But Goonies is a special one because this was one of those movies that I'd watch on repeat, really almost every day as a kid. I loved it so much. I have nothing especially enlightening to say about it. I just think it's a wonderful movie. Basically, it's Junior Indiana Jones, which makes sense considering it came from the mind of Steven Spielberg. I personally love gang movies like this, and The Sandlot definitely gave me unrealistic expectations about like friendship goals and the Beatles too. I guess you know, Sandlot, Goonies, Beatles, all great gangs. I was also really obsessed with shipwrecks as a kid, so he sent me into like my family basement in search of something akin to the treasure map that sets this plot in motion. Hock. We talked a little bit about this earlier. What are your thoughts on this movie?
Speaker 2: I don't have love for it the same way you do, but it's great. I don't know what you're gonna do on the Coonies. It's incredible, I mean, inspiring on all cylinders. It's Richard Donner and Steven Spielberg. It's like, even if it didn't have the amazing cast that it had and the sort of rough hewn charm, it would have still been a great movie just by virtue of those guys knew how to make movies. Yeah, I don't know. I mean we talked a little bit about this when we were first pitching this. But like the eighties, like fan to see movie that I watched more was Eddie Murphy starring in The Golden Child.
Speaker 1: Wait, I don't think I I don't remember this at all. What is this?
Speaker 2: It's like either The Golden Child or Big Trouble in Little China. I have Big Trouble Little China. I watched like, yeah that I that was Goodies for me. I watched that movie like hmm weekly. But yeah, Golden chowd is Eddie Murphy. It's like a weird fantasy movie about him, like shepherding mystical avatar of some kind back to Nepal I think or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just got this crazy. It doesn't make any sense. It's not a good movie. It's just funny, like it's one of those things I just had laying around on VHS.
Speaker 1: I have never even seen this movie before.
Speaker 2: People really people don't really talk about it.
Speaker 1: They don't want you to know about it. Anyway. We'll get ready because we're gonna tell you all about Steven Spielberg's secret role as the unofficial co director, the authentic blood and skulls use for props, and the real life shipwreck that inspired the plot. We've also got the crazy connections between the goonies Gremlins, back to the future in James Bond, plus Sloth's nightmarish makeup prosthetics that nearly electrocuted him. There's the on set few between Corey Felban and Martha Plimpton, the prank war between the Fortelli brothers, the time Michael Jackson called Sean Aston, and the lost subplot involving escaped gorillas. You'll learn how about of chicken pox almost cheated us out of Jeff Cohen's hilarious performance as Chunk, how the production crew built and destroyed a full size pirate ship, and how Alice Cooper crashed the epic cast party. So, without further ado, here is everything you didn't know about The Goonies. Wow, we're starting this with a section that I have subheaded childhood sads. It's like this in Dad Issues. Yep, yep, both coming together very often with Steven Spielberg. Like so many great things in this world, The Goonies was conceived by Steven Spielberg, who acted as execus, a producer, and as will find out, sort of a secret code director because he's Steven Spielberg and just couldn't help himself. So Spielberg was inspired by two things, the first being his childhood. Again because he's Steven Spielberg. He said that the idea of the Goonies came from a group of kids he knew as a boy in school. And Spielberg had a tough time in school because he struggled with undiagnosed dyslexia, and as a result, he learned to read a few years later than other kids in his class, and he was bullied mercilessly because of it. He described himself as being a nerd and an outsider growing up. Quote like the kid that played clarinet in the band and orchestra, which I did, which I personally take offense to because I do as well. And I recently went out of my way to tell that to a friend the other day, And now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have. I didn't know that the clarinet was that loaded of a band instrument.
Speaker 2: Do you know that you can hear Spielberg playing clarinet on the Jaws soundtrack? No, it's when there's like a school marching band coming by, and apparently they couldn't get like one of these.
Speaker 1: I guess they either either.
Speaker 2: Williams did it as a favor for him, or they couldn't find like an actual orchestra musician to playly enough to sound like a high school clarinet player, that they just got Spielberg to do it. But you can see him playing clarinet on there's photos of him playing clarinet on the set of on the set of Jaws.
Speaker 1: Really cute, that's adorable. Yeah, But he was also bullied in his town as a kid because he's one of the only Jewish families in I think the neighborhood he was growing up in Arizona, which led him to be mocked and even beaten a little later in high school, and Spielberg apparently got revenge on his bullies one night by sneaking out and smearing peanut butter on their windows. The fifties ladies and gentlemen anyway, So during this rough period in Spielberg's youth, he was embraced by a gang of outsiders who sort of took them under their wing and made him feel included and for a time somewhat normal. This was, at its heart, the genesis of the Goonies, this gang of inclusive outsiders who go off in search of a legendary seventeenth century pirates treasure. As I said, it's sort of an Indiana Jones adventure written by S. C. Hinton for the legend of One Eyed Willie and his shipped The Inferno. Spielberg was inspired by the wreck of the Santa Cristo de Burgos, which was a Spanish galleon that set sail from the Philippines to Mexico in sixteen ninety three but never made it to its destination. It vanished on its journey, taking with it a precious cargo of porcelain, silk and bees wax. Something about bees not being indigenous to certain parts of the world. I don't know. Beeswax hot commodity in the sixteen hundreds, So bizarrely, this Spanish galleon was thought to be shipwrecked off the coast of Astoria, Oregon, which is a long way off from Mexico. I guess the trade route would take it down the coast of northern California, but they must have went off course somewhere to end up in Oregon. Indigenous tribes in what's now known as Oregon passed down stories about this galleon throughout the generations, calling the bees wax wreck because of these blocks of beeswax that would wash ashore from it, as well as bits of blue and white porcelain and bits of wood we'd get tossed up on the rocks or buried in the sound every now and then, And this led to this whole run on the area by treasure hunters in the late nineteenth century, not long after the gold Rush. And so these reports in this area about this being this lost pirate ship, right, it wasn't a pirate ship, right, but this lost Spanish galleon helped inspire Spielberg to create the One Eyed Willie plot of the Goodies. And for years this wreck was basically thought just to be like a local legend. But then in June twenty twenty two, just earlier this year, National Geographic confirmed that they found what was left of the Santa Cristo de Burgos. Found a few dozen timbers, which is extremely rare for a century's old ship and waters, and I think they found more peace wax, which is good that the world needs. So it was a happy ending there.
Speaker 2: First you get the money, then you get the bees wax.
Speaker 1: Then you got the tower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a famous British warship that's near the hell Gate, which is that super cool name for the like stretch of water between Randall's Island and Astoria and New York. And uh, something like two to four million dollars in gold down there.
Speaker 1: Did they get it?
Speaker 2: I there's like a whole there's a whole thing about treasure hunters trying to find it.
Speaker 1: But no, I think they blew it up because they would.
Speaker 2: This is I mean, this is maybe a little too NYC granular history, but this place was so treacherous that at one point the US Army Corps of Engineers detonated. Uh like they just tried to blow it up, essentially to like blow up a bunch of the rocks in a crucial area too, to kind of change the flow of water. So they maybe they probably blew this ship up. Anyway, it's supposed to also be super haunted. Uh, well, I imagine that all shipwrecks. Well there's a bunch of there are a bunch of like prisoners of war and I think slaves on this particular ship.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, so extra haunted. All shipwrecks are haunted. Yeah, extra haunted.
Speaker 2: There was a great hang on there's a great I forget the name of this ship. There was a great quote the hussar. Oh yeah, oh you.
Speaker 1: Know the husser. Well, go go, go go.
Speaker 2: In eighteen seventy six, the USR recorps of engineers blew fifty six thousand pounds or twenty five tons of dynamite to try and to try and blow that up and failed or succeeded. I don't know what the metric of success.
Speaker 1: They are there. That was what they're gonna do for the Titanic. They were going to try to set off before they realized it was like two and a half miles down. They were going to try to set off explosives that were going to try to dis lodge it and bring it to the surface or fill it with ping pong balls.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I remember the ping pong ball's bit. Yeah, I guess. In twenty thirteen they found uh, okay, so they found a cannon from it at least, and they were cleaning this cannon and they found out it was loaded and still had nearly two pounds of gunpowder in it, which is like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Smoke break as they're cleaning this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have like you're like your your nice docile job as a as a preservationist and you find a fully loaded active cannon.
Speaker 1: That's a huzzer. Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 2: Anyway, getting back on track, speaking of old wooden ships. Uh, Spooberg hired screenwriter Christopher Columbus. Two we did there, Yeah, ties back, ties back together. Columbus had just written nineteen eighty four's Gremlins, which is a personal favorite of mine, and he would obviously go on to direct Home Alone, Missus Doubtfire, the first two Harry Potter movies by Centennial Man. Ooh, this is this thing on?
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He brought his own ideas to the story, though he grew up in Ohio, where he spent a lot of his youth exploring the abandoned coal mines, not an activity I can recommend.
Speaker 1: This show does not condone pencil. I feel like that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sure a lot of speaking of haunted places. Yeah, I don't know. I guess instead of the docks, his pitch was to have them all be in coal mines.
Speaker 1: I have a question for you, God, I had always heard it as the boonies or the boone docks. I think the goonies is the phrase I had never heard unless it was in the context of this movie. Have you heard that? Nope?
Speaker 2: So boondocks. Oh this is interesting. This is this here, this will interest you. Boon Docks comes from the word in Tagalog bundock for mountain. It was adapted by American soldiers stationed in the Philippines and then readopted in the early twentieth century, and then picked up again in World War Two. So that's boondocks goon. Oh boy, I thought it was going to get racist. Oh it's early May. Yeah, goony goon could be made up. Etymology Online traces it to Harper's in December of twenty one, possibly originating from sailor slang referring to Albatross's or other big clumsy birds.
Speaker 1: But I guess yeah, Spielberg was probably like, you know what, coal mines not especially cinematic. What about a boat? Just think about a boat, plus.
Speaker 2: Trying to imagine lighting all that. Oh yeah, anyway, there are a lot of rewrites on this movie. I didn't find anyone else credited. Did you find anyone who's like a script doctor on this or it was just they just kept sending it back to Chrystalmas. Yeah, it's like Becker Fagan just be like, Nope, not it, that's not it. So yeah, I guess much like Xana do a recent episode. I guess the actors didn't get pages for their scenes until right before they were about to shoot, which sounds nerve wracking.
Speaker 1: And they're all kids too. Yeah, it's resilient, they'll bounce back. It's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, like they didn't even know what was happening to Chunk. They had no idea what his plot line was. They were just like, hey, he gets separated at some point, we haven't seen him for.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks. Does kill off Chunky?
Speaker 2: So I guess we mentioned Chris Columbus also at the script of Gremlins, And so there's a reference in Goonie's Two Gremlins. You said that this presupposes then that they take place in the same shared cinematic universe. So when Chunk calls the cops, they nod to this habit he had of prank calls. The officer reminds him of the time when he called with a story about little green creatures that multiply when you pour water on them. Gremlins. That movie was also executive produced by Spielbergen features a young Corey Feldman, who will get to And there's another connection. Did you know that the town in Gremlins, which is Kingston Falls, is shot on the same soundstage as Back to the Future the set for Mill Valley?
Speaker 1: What the universal backlot? Wow? Courts square my god Well. On the topic of Back to the Futures, internet sleuths have discovered an interesting connection between The Goonies and Back to the Future My favorite movie. Appropriately enough, it all has to do with time. There's a wall calendar seen ten minutes into The Goonies that shows that it's October nineteen eighty five, and there's also a newspaper front page that's seen around the forty three minute mark that's dated October twenty fourth, nineteen eighty five, which was a Thursday, And at one point in the movie, mouth says that it's Saturday, two days later, which means that the whole movie takes place on October twenty sixth, nineteen eighty five. This is the exact day that Marty McFly takes the DeLorean back in time to nineteen fifty five. And considering Spielberg was involved with Back to the Future two, I don't think there's any way that could be an accident.
Speaker 2: This sets the stage for and verbal contract, a movie in which Marty McFly meets the Goonies, meets the Gremlins, meets the Flintstones, meets the Jetsons in Viva Rock Vegas.
Speaker 1: And the Flintstones Kids with the WWE And this answers Yeah, on the Rockets, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Aristocrats.
Speaker 2: We do so much uncredited development work on the show, like come on, we're just spinning.
Speaker 1: Gold Man well, getting back to Corey Feldman, as all things must do. He apparently goes way back with Spielberg. He talks about going to visit him on the set of Poultrygeist, which Spielberg wrote and, depending on who you believe, may have covertly directed. Feldman claims that he was originally cast in et as Elliott's best friends, but the roles written out sure. Feldman says that Spielberg felt so bad about this that he promised to put him in his next project that he was working on, which was Gremlin's. Considering this is Corey Feldman, I'm inclined to call bs on this, but Spielberg does have a history of doing this. When he was casting for Hook, he really liked this one kid, but didn't cast them, but to me put him in his next movie, which was Jurassic Park, and that was the little boy in that Joseph Mazzella, So he does have a track record of doing that.
Speaker 2: Later went on to play Queen. Bassist John Deacon made me rasty.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that until this morning, and I almost texted you about it. That blew my mind.
Speaker 2: Loved John Deacon less so that movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, So Gremlins led to Corey Feldman's evolvement in Goonies, but he still had to audition. I guess Bilberg was originally slated to direct the Goonies, but then he dropped out and director Richard Donner took over, which we'll talk more about in a little bit. So Corey Felban lost his favorite status and had to go back to auditioning. So he goes to the audition and he meets another young kid in the waiting room who's also there to audition to play the character of Mouth, and that was Corey Hame and they would famously be joined at the hip throughout the eighties and early nineties, becoming best friends and starring together in The Lost Boys and apparently six other movies together, Too Sweetly. Feldman said that after Ham's death in twenty ten, one of the first people to call him the check on him was his Goonies co star Shaan Astone. Like the sweetest the goodest boy, but as you can imagine, Feldman kind of the opposite of the goodest boy. You can sometimes get on the rest of the cast nerves. He was basically his character in the movie. He and Martha Plimpton in particular, had kind of a tempestuous relationship, sort of a big sister little brother relationship. She recalls flipping out on him one day. I was sitting at my typewriter doing my homework and he came over and started annoying me. I got up from the typewriter and got him on the floor and started smashing his hand on it, shouting, shut up, shut up, shut up. I think this was I think she tells the story like during some kind of Goonies event, like to his face, So I think they're okay now. When Feldman was a guest on Steve O's wild Ride podcast Friend of the Pod Stevo, he said that he was only paid forty dollars for six months work on the Goonies, which I find weird for a Spielberg production. Sure, maybe that's just what his parents told him here a Yeah, he emancipated himself, I think not long after. But yeah, Feldman remains inordinately proud of Goony's, calling it the Willie Walker of our generation. I don't know if I get the analogy, but sure, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean poor Corey, yeah kid who truly got cheered up and spit out by the entertainment industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, this leads us somewhat perfectly into the Michael Jackson corner. Yes, there's a line in the movie where Chunk talks about, you know, some made up story about Michael Jackson coming over to his house to use the bathroom, which is ironic because Corey Feldman had a burgeoning friendship with Michael Jackson around this time. Is Director Richard Donner and Steven Spielberg apparently used the Jacksons as something of a carrot during the production. They sent the young cast to see the Jackson's Victory Reunion tour at Dodger Stadium during pre production. This a treat, And I guess when they were filming the pipe scene, you know, the scene where they're all banging on the pipes and try to signal, you know, that they need help to the people in town. Feldman, he didn't have the passion that director Richard Donner wanted. So Donner told him a little surprised that he was going to tell him later. He told him, Michael Jackson's coming to visit the set tomorrow, you know. And then they went to shoot the scene again, and Corey's all amped up because his hero is about to visit the set. And I think it's when he's the scene when he's screaming the line reverse pressure. Yeah, it's interesting, Donna, really, Uh, we'll talk about this later. That's some really unique ways of trying to get good performances out of these kids, kind of like Kubrick doing the Shining when he had this cole separate plot that he made up to tell the little boy he was playing Danny, so that he didn't traumatize them by telling him the real plot. I don't know. I like Richard Donner's approach here. Sure enough, Michael did come onto the set. There's amazing pictures of him on One Eyed Billy's pirate ship with his arm around Chunk, which which is kind of funny because it validated chunks bs story from earlier on the plot about hanging with Michael Jackson. So Corey Felbrian was close friends with Michael and the two lady became estranged for reasons that are murky. But uh, well, actually, you I believe have found.
Speaker 2: Something desperately hope is true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's that? Well, Corey felban and Michael Jackson fall out.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons that I've read cited was that Michael Jackson was afraid of how Corey Felbman was going to talk to him about talk about him in one of his books that he'd written, and backed off accordingly.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: Feldman the whole you have to we have to talk about nine to eleven when we talk about Corey Feldman and Michael Jackson. I don't know if people know this, but apparently Michael Jackson drove Marlon Brando, Elizabeth Taylor, and Liza Minelli out of New York on nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: There was a like a made for TV movie with Joseph Fines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in like Whiteface. It's deeply upsetting. So that's a real thing that happened, And apparently Feldman was not included in this, and he was upset about that, and he retaliated with this song called megaloman that features the lyrics I believed in your words, I believed in your lies.
Speaker 1: But in September in New York, you left me to die. I love you, megalo Man so as in Megalomaniac. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: So their relationship fell apart, either because of what Michael was afraid that Corey was going to write about, or because of nine to eleven to Potato Potato.
Speaker 1: I am not being sarcastic when I say, why don't more people know about this? That's wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, well barely this road trip ended up in Ohio. Either they got on so well or they were just like so petrified of being on the East Coast that they drove into Ohio. And I read that Marlon Brando who was like, you know, this is in full figured Brendo era, so they I guess he was like constantly asking to stop for fast food, annoying everyone else in the car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a hell of a movie.
Speaker 2: That's a great, great movie that that should be made. They deserves better they made it. No, it deserves better than that. I mean, I'm talking prestige. I want Daniel day Lewis in there. I want Meryl Streep. No, Meryl Streep could play Elizabeth Taylor. I'm developing again.
Speaker 1: Damn it. Here's a question. I mean no offense when I say this. Do you think the car trip? Do you think it was funny? Do I think it was funny? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Scream? Are you imagining? Imagine all those personalities in that car. It's better if it was like a compact, if they weren't in like like and they weren't a limited.
Speaker 1: It was my driving.
Speaker 2: God, that's a great question. I wonder who drove. I don't know, man, Maybe they took turns. Liz McNeil wrote about this at People.
Speaker 1: Oh ah.
Speaker 2: Tim Mendelssohn, a close friend and trustee of Elizabeth Taylor's estate, shot down the rumors, saying there was never any road trip. Elizabeth was in New York after nine to eleven. Wow, that is wild. So, Corey Feldman, you wrote that distrack megaloman for nothing? All right, Well, that was one of our most bizarre at tensions we've ever been on this Well, I mean.
Speaker 1: Corey's become a passionate crusader against child sexual abuse, and although he's repeatedly insisted that nothing inappropriate ever happened with him and Michael, after seeing the explosive Leaving Neverland documentary in twenty nineteen, he said he no longer felt comfortable defending Michael, and also admitted the possibility that Jackson could have been grooming him as part of their friendship. So yeah, but he's still dressing up as him.
Speaker 2: As recently as twenty thirteen, he did a Michael Jackson tribute performance in costume performing Billy Jean at a Limp Biscuit show.
Speaker 1: Wow, Who's that okay? Michael took an active interest in more than a young boy. Yeah, yeah, I was really trying to find a way to say that didn't land on that phrasing, But yeah, the movie star Sean Aston, and he even called him at home. Sean Assen told Vulture in twenty seventeen, I remember Michael Jackson once called to see if I was feeling okay because I'd gone home sick from the set of the Goonies. They shut down production for a couple of days. I was so excited he called, but he didn't leave his number, and the first thing my mom said was, I don't understand what does he want? Why is he calling you? And Sean Aston's mom was Patty Duke, who was a child actress in the sixties who'd starred in The Patty Duke Show and won an Oscar for her portrayal of Helen Keller in The marri Arcle Worker, and probably most relevant to my tacky interests, starred as Neili O'Hara and Valley of the Dolls. So yeah, she probably being a former child star herself and having gone through it, she probably was very wary of who's coming around her son. God uh.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Sean Aston, yeah, his family history is really fascinating. For years, no one had any idea whose father was, including him and his mom. She had a relationship with Dizzy Arnez Junior, who is Lucy and Ricky's son, but she also had a relationship with a music journalist named Michael Tell, and so when she got pregnant she didn't know who the dad was. Michael Tell, this being the seventies, offered to marry her to keep her out of the tabloid sheets, but their marriage lasted thirteen days. God dam, I didn't even make it too. That's got to be a record. Yeah, that's like Pam Anderson and John Peters Territory.
Speaker 1: Do you not remember that? No, John Peter's the producer, the very same he was married to Pam Pam Anderson. Yeah, they watched Pam Anderson. John Peters played by Bradley Cooper.
Speaker 2: Gotta love tail so much it's gonna it's gonna kill me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. How long were they married? Twelve days? They beat them twelve days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is big page six. When I was working there, claimed claimed. He claimed that he paid off all of her debts. Wow, and then they at least but she had almost two hundred grand in bills and no way to pay it. And then he said, and this is the thanks I get. Well, he's kind of a scumback, so oh yeah, well, yes, anyway, thirteen day marriage. Jesus Christ Sean was born in nineteen seventy one, so Patty's marriage to Michael Tell was over by that point. A year later, she married John Askedon, who played Gomez in the Adams Family.
Speaker 1: And was the dad on the original Freaky Friday.
Speaker 2: And John asked in as Sean and gives him his last.
Speaker 1: Name, Patty Duke and John Assen then split when Sean was a teenager and Patty married another guy named Michael Pierce. And this was the same year that Sean was filming The Goonies. Patty told him that Desi Jr. Was his real dad, and so he got really close with Desi Jr. And then after ten years of believing this, he took a blood test and learned that music journalist Michael Tell, the guy of the Thirteen Day Marriage, was actually his dad.
Speaker 2: And yeah, further evidence in Sean Aston just being the goodest boy he has just he is a very zen viewing it all, he says he's close to all four of them, saying I can call any of them on the phone anytime I want to, John, Desi, Mike or Papa Mike. My four dads.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: John Aston and Patty Duke were divorcing by the time Goonies came out, but they held hands and cried through their entire first viewing of it because they were so proud of their little boy. Oh you know, as testified by a long career in Hollywood, inherited his Oscar winning mother's talent, and the scene where he tells the story of One Eyed Willy is improvised, or at the very least recalled from very short memory. Richard Donner wanted to get a naturalistic performance read out of this scene, so just before they shot this, Donner told him the story of One Eyed Willy, and then when the cameras were basically said, all right, just repeat that as best you can while the cameras are rolling. So that's why it kind of looks like, you know, he's like recalling it in real time guesse. He was, Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: I love all the ways that Richard Donner got these really natural performances out of these.
Speaker 2: Kids, just despite hating them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll talk about that. Yeah. Uh, just a quick pause here before we go any further. One Eyed Lilly. That is a dirty joke, right, that's obvious. Okay, okay, good fun check. There are really a disproportionate number of kids with famous parents in this movie, or maybe it's Hollywood nepotism. I don't know. It just seems weird to me. In addition to Sean Aston, there's Martha Plimpton, who's the daughter of Keith Carradine and also distantly related to the writer George Plimpton. In a way, aren't we all distantly related to the writer George Plimpton. And of course you have Josh Brolin, the son of noted handsome man actor James Brown, who's still alive. I didn't realize this was Josh Brolin's film debut, and he was very intense and eager. In fact, he was a bit of a tryhard. He'd been reading about the Stanislavsky method of acting, and he later recalled the day that they were filming the scene where the goonies slide through the underground water tunnels that dump them out in the water around the pirate ship, and Brolin later said I came up to Spielberg and said that I wanted to climb the walls of the tunnels and that it represented my mother's womb. For some odd reason. Spielberg's response was, why don't you just act?
Speaker 2: I would prefer if it were Richard Donner, and he was just like, son of a bitch, I'm so sick of these damn kids.
Speaker 1: Uh. It's the shades of the Dustin Hoffman Lawrence Olivia exchange during Marathon Man, when Dustin Hoffins like, oh, I lost my motivation and Olivia is like, why don't you try acting Darling? Yeah? Uh yeah. The directorial approaches on this movie were a little less high concept than Stanislavsky. I guess when director Richard Donner wanted more intensity, he would just yell big eyes during a major scene where it works every time. Uh. Josh Brolin is one of my favorite lines in this movie when he's yelling at his younger brother Mikey, I'm gonna hate you so hard when you wake up, your clothes are gonna be out of style. Yeah, it's a great line. Yeah. There's a funny little goof in the scene where the Goonies are in the abandoned restaurant where the for Tellies are hiding out, like just after Chunk breaks the water cooler. Sean Aston aka Mikey calls Josh Brolin by his real name instead of his character brand, but left that in for some reason. Speaking of Chunk, we have to talk about the kid who played him, the amazing Jeff Cohen, truly the MVP of this movie. He is so good yet it's I believe, the only live action role he ever did, and we very nearly didn't even get that. He got chicken pox just before the shoot and was worried that they'd recast the role if he told them about it, so he didn't tell anyone and he showed up anyway, I'm sure, leading to an outbreak of chicken pox on the setup, and you can see it when he's doing the truffle shuffle and lifting his shirt up. You can actually see the spot still in his chest and stomach. I feel really bad for this kid. He really hated doing the truffle shuffle. Like that look of dismay you see on his face when mouth makes him do it is like authentic and to make him feel better, Director Richard Donner actually cleared the set when he did it, which is you know, I know, I really feel bad for him. Richard Donner really loved this kid. Jeff Cohen, who played Chunk. In the scene where Chunk starts crying when the Fortellies take his ice cream even spoon away, you could actually hear donn Or giggling off screen if you listened to it. I think Jeff Cohen, kid play Chunk, actually ad libbed a lot of that. I know he ad libbed the Hebrew prayer that he says when he first sees Jake Fortelly and the scene where he tells the story about vomiting off a theater balcony. He's just an inspired performance. The anecdote itself is a real life prank that Spielberg did when he was growing up in Arizona. I don't know much more about it beyond that, I'd love to hear Spielberg explain how he fake vomited in the middle of a theater. But yeah, this kid, Jeff Cohen is just so damn good. He appeared on a very famous British chat show called Wogan, just himself, not with the rest of the cast of the movie, you know, right after Goonies came out, and he's absolutely hysterical. Check it out on YouTube. He's wearing this like bizarre duck hat that has wings that randomly flaps, and like he handles all sorts of like really terrible body shamy questions from the host, which is incredible quick comebacks. It's really funny. Perhaps because of all this flack about his weight, he left acting soon after The Goonies. He slimmed down and pursued a law degree, but his reputation as Chunk followed him wherever he went. He ran for class president UC Berkeley with the slogan chunk for President, which you know, use what you got good publicity. It was also during his college days that he performed the truffle shuffle for the only time publicly. He later said, I was the mic man at the football games, trying to pump the crowd up. I wasn't certain everyone knew who I was. I got up there to say go Bears, and this frat guy in the back row started screaming, truck full shof full. Then the last three rows started chanting it. Next thing you know, it caught on and ten thousand students were cheering truff full shuff full guy. So I know, I know. But now he works as an entertainment lawyer where he counts the kid who played Data among his many clients. I didn't realize the kid who played Data is also in everything everywhere, all.
Speaker 2: Why yeahund as well in Temple of Doom.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When that movie came out, he did a bunch of interviews where he was talking about how basically how disillusioned he was with Hollywood after being in these two enormous back to back movies and then just being unable to find work because of the climate of Hollywood racism. You also will remember this is the era of Long Duck Dong being in sixteen Candles. So not only were there not opportunities for people of Asian descent to be in movies, but they Hollywood was just comfortable being openly racist towards them. But yeah, he had a really interesting career. I guess he worked in Hong Kong for a while. He was choreographing fight scenes. He was doing ad assistant directing work for One car Y who's cultishly adored director. Oh yeah, and everything everywhere all wants whips. So happy ending for him after years of misery.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of offensive names in films, I guess Data's real name in this movie is re Wang Dick. Oh boy, come on, come on. You'll notice how everyone in this movie is a nickname, Data, Chunk, Sloth, Brands, and their real names are rarely ever mentioned. But we hear too much information, have dug them up. And Mikey is Michael Walsh. Obviously, Mouth is Clark Devereaux. Data. We just said, Richard Wang Brand is Brandon Walsh, Chunk is Lawrence Cohen, Andy is Andrea Teresa Carmichael's boring, and Stephan is Stephanie Steinbrenner and sloth is Lotney for Telly, I remember his mom says that a couple of times lotany that's a name, funny story. The real life last names of all the Goonies end in the letter and Aston, Brolin, Cohen, Felman, Green, Plimpton, and Kwan. Wow. Do that check that out? You seem genuinely wow. Okay, that's cool. That's called acting. Oh, I'm glad you tried it.
Speaker 2: As you meditate on that, We'll be right back with more too much information after these messages.
Speaker 1: But enough about the prep. Let's get into the shooting of The Goonies. When Spielberg stepped away from directing, presumably because he had his hands full with Indiana Jones and all sorts of other stuff, they brought in director Richard Donner, late of the Superman series starring Christopher Reeve, and he went on the direct radio Flyer written by the guy who wrote the Samlot And as we discussed in a previous episode, the Goonies was shot almost entirely on location in the town of Astoria, Oregon, though the tunnels and the cave with one of Willie's pirate ship were shot on sound stages in Burbank, California. The shoot went on for five months and was done almost entirely sequentially, which is very rare. Yeah, that's nuts. Yeah, as you can imagine, the Goonies is a huge boon for the tourist trade in Astoria, a huge goon if you will. They celebrate Goonies Day, thank you. They celebrate Goony's Day on June seventh, which was the day the film was released in nineteen eighty five. The jail where the Fatellies make their escape at the start of the movie is now a film museum, appropriately enough, which opened on the twenty fifth anniversary of The Goonies release in twenty ten, and contains memorabilia from the movie. And this is weird. I didn't know where else to put this. The field where the Fatellis restaurant hideout is located was used again in the movie Kindergarden Cop. There you go. Yeah, and this is really funny. The actor who played mister Walsh Mikey and Brand's dad, it's a guy named Keith Walker. He was so inspired by the scenery of Astoria that he wrote his one and only screenplay Free Willie, Free Willy and Free Willy two were both filmed in his Historia Electric Booglo. Yeah that Free Willy too, Secret of the Ooze, Willy Harder Ye never gets a good day to Free Willie.
Speaker 2: Free with Me with a Vengeance. Just all the die hard ones are so funny. They filmed Black Stallion there as well. There was this whole run of mid to mid eighties to early nineties movies filmed in Astoria, Oregon. I did not know that beautiful Astoria. Visit Astoria. Yeah, I'll take that money now, Astoria, Oregon Town Council.
Speaker 1: The Walsh family home became something of a local landmark, known as the Goonies House. The nice lady who lived there spent years giving tours to the fans who'd show up on our doorstep from all over the world, sometimes up to fifty people a day. But our dear producer Mike Johns paid a visit to Astoria a few years back and discovered that there's now a sign on the property warning off trespassers and gooney fans. Apparently, during the thirtieth anniversary of the Goonies in twenty fifteen, the home was descended upon by an army of rowdy fans who trampled the grounds, pete in the bushes, and generally wrecked the place. This is why we can't have nice things. That's what of OSMA. We got to give a shout out to our beloved Mike. It's truly criminal that we mention and our fictitious producer Jamie more than we do our actual colleague and buddy. Mike is not only the best friend this show has ever had, but also one of the best friends anyone could ask for, makes a sound way better than we deserve, and is an incredible musician. Go to Mike's YouTube channel and bancamp meaning of everything. My personal favorite is this gorgeous tribute to the recently departed Loretta Lynn. This amazing shoegaze version of you ain't woman enough. Mike. We love you, Sorry, we made you listen to us talk about Steely Dan the other day for ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: We'll get a Jethro Toall episode in for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah one, Yeah, these days.
Speaker 2: We touched earlier on Steven Spielberg's habit of ghost directing to the UH to the consternation of the actual directors. I mean The famous one that I remember is Poltergeist and Toby Hooper. Yeah, it's so talked about, especially in the horror nerd community. But yeah, it got so bad that I think Spielberg at one point had to take out a Variety. It did take out a Variety ad where he was like, I did not co direct this movie because I think it was a whole DGA Director's Guild issue. But I mean, I don't know. It's it's just funny that it is such a running theme with Spielberg. In particular, one of Toby Hooper's collaborators, Mick Garris, said in twenty seventeen that the same thing happened on the set of Used Cars to Robert Zemeckis, to the point where Kurt Russell told Spielberg I can take direction from you or Bob, but not both, and Spielberg backed off, which is amazing because I just, yeah, I mean, if somebody's going to intimidate Steven Spielberg, it's probably going to be eighties Kurt Russell.
Speaker 1: Let's say Escape from New York era Russell.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Richard Donner had known him since he was a kid, which probably made all of this backseat directing that much more galling. Spielberg got started on shows in the early seventies like Marcus Welby and an episode of Colombo. I want to see that, And so Donner was kind of shepherding him through that. And so despite the fact that Spielberg was basically only a producer and had a story by credit on the actual log line of the film, there are photos of him walking around the set with a baseball hat reading head Gooney, and different cast members have said that he was Oh, it's awful, it's awful. Side note, I love the cottage industry of like film crews making like I love film merchandise, like film production.
Speaker 1: Just just for the crew.
Speaker 2: Did you ever hear about the battle that happened on the set of Blade Runner?
Speaker 1: No? They.
Speaker 2: Ridley Scott gave this interview famously protracted shoot. Ridley Scott gave this interview where he was talking about how much he liked working with English crews better than American cruise because he said English crews would just say yes, Governor and do what he asked. And so all of the American crewmen made a series of sarcastic t shirts that just said yes Governor. On the back and warn.
Speaker 1: All pretty good. Yeah, that's pretty good. But yeah, some of the.
Speaker 2: Goonies cast members have basically said that Spielberg was co directing this thing. He was shooting the aforementioned pipe banging underground pipe banging scene phrasing, and the scene at the wishing well where Andy, the rich girl accidentally kisses little Mikey.
Speaker 1: Makes so much sense. I mean, that just looks like such a Spielberg scene. This is great, like still photo of Mikey and Andy and silhouette and like they look like cartoons. They look like Peter Pan and Tinkerbell or something like it. All of his childhood stuff really just has this kind I mean, no one that we went on to do Hook a couple of years later, Like there's always like this kind of a little magical element with all the child stuff. I mean et obviously this scene's great. Sean Aston, who was like thirteen, was super pumped to kiss the woman playing Andy Carrie Green, who was like seventeen. Carry Green, on the other hand, I thought the whole thing was creepy and was worried she traumatized this little kid. Yeah, well, seems to be doing fun.
Speaker 2: Set askedonsidered okay, but yeah, this tough set for Donner. One of his associates later said, I think it was a difficult time because it's very difficult to have a producer on the set who's also director, and I think Dick allowed Spielberg to shoot a lot of second unit stuff. I'd imagine it wasn't the warmest or easiest of collaborations. Promotions for this movie made a big deal about Spielberg teaming up with Richard Donner, who was still a big deal at the time, and there was even a teaser trailer for The Goonies that took the letters from its title sequence from the famous movies that Spielberg and Donner had just been involved with, the g from Gremlins, the O from The Omen, the O from Raiders of the Lost arc and from Close Encounters, an I from Indiana Jones, and the Temple of Doom E from E T and the S from Superman, which doesn't have anything to do with the movies, but it belongs in the annals of great teaser trailers. Surely an annal sum.
Speaker 1: The people pumped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's another thing that's brought into this, which was a boatload of James Bond references. Dad's belt you'll notice, which has his all of his gadgets has double seven inscribed on it.
Speaker 1: And he also in the scene when he's ziplining into Mikey's house, he plays the James Bond theme on a walkman or something. Spielberg threw that in there in exchange for Bond producer Albert Cubby Broccoli using the Close Encounters theme in nineteen seventy nine's Moonriker the Bond Movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and funnily enough, four years after Goonies came out, Robert Davey, one of the Fertellies, plays the villain not the two thousands indie band who will get to later. Davey played a villain in the Misbegotten, The red Headed step child of the Bond franchise, Timothy Dalton's Licensed to Kill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of the less Engling Dan Lendling ding Ding Ding Ding that and like late Era Oh Broson, Lately Era Broon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of Joey Pants, he loved Joey ban and I love it how much you love Joey Pants?
Speaker 1: And yeah, the American legend. This brings us to the for Telly Brothers. Robert dave and Joey Pants. What's his real name, Joe Pantaliano. Yes, apparently Robert Dave, who's a trained opera singer. By the way, that's why he's singing Madam Butterfly all the time in the movie. He's supposed to be in Rambo two or Rambo First Blood whatever the second Rambow was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the second one is confusingly titled First Blood Part two. Oh okay, yeah, all right, first Blood Part two.
Speaker 1: So he'd gotten in shape for it and was poised to fly to the jungle to film. But I guess there was a communication snaffoo when he accepted the Goonies and they mistakenly recast his part, which made things weird between him and his friend Sylvester Stallone for a while. And you know, maybe he took his frustration out on his goony brother, Joey Pants. The two were engaged in a fairly high stakes prank war throughout the shoot. At one point, Robert Dove nailed Joey's dressing room door shut I believe, with him inside, and Joey retaliated this isn't as good by stealing his license plate, and I guess the director sort of cottoned on to their antagonistic I don't know how playful it was, but a relationship, and he put the sibling rivalry in the movie. Another instance of Robert Dove's aggression coming through was the scene when they're making the jail break and they shoot the gasoline, which causes it to ignite. They're originally going to light a dollar bill and try to throw it on the gas line, but Dobby said that it would take too long for this piece of paper to land just right, just kind of like what happened in Greece when they were trying to get Sandy's cigarette to land right in her feet, right in front of Danny. So he came up with the idea of just shooting it, which I don't even know if that actually would cause gasoline to ignite, but looks cool. Yeah, it looks really cool. Maybe the bullet ricochet's off the ground, Maybe there's a little spark that happens there. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Ann Ramsey really slapped him in that scene, Robert Goddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I'm glad we got Ann Ramsey in here, because I didn't have any anything about her throw Mama from the train. She's so scary. I think that's consciously why I didn't. Yeah, I'm still prod of her. Could she's still alive?
Speaker 2: She could be, she could be right behind you. No, she does in eighty eight? Uh yere after anyway, that wasn't a coincidence?
Speaker 1: Is it safe yet?
Speaker 2: Okay, while we're running down the for Telly family, we must get to the third for Telly brother, Latany aka Sloth, played by former Oakland Raiders star John Matt Tussac, who did two stints in the Super Bowl before trying his hand at acting. He wears a Raider shirt in the movie, which could be considered as just a pirate's joke but actually a non to his old team, and then he rips that shirt to reveal a Superman shirt under that, which is at of course, a nod to Richard Donner, who had directed The Superman. Spielberg loves his heastray as a running theme that will develop into this I guess. Before The Goodies was even filmed. A few years prior, Methusac had placed ninth in World's Strongest Man competition, where those damn beefy slabs of men like tow trucks and expressed tires and he just looks like a it looks like animal.
Speaker 1: Mountain, yeah, yes he does, or the mountain.
Speaker 2: From Game of Thrones. Yes, just a large slab of a man. The stunt double for Sloth is a guy named Randall Winner.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And he says, he just said, I don't drink, so I would escort John Matusac to all the bars so I could get him home. I was the John Wrangler. I'd drink Coca cola and make sure he didn't beat up the place.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: Matusac was a big kid with very few limitations about how he conducted himself. He was taking painkillers, and when you put a gallon of wine on top of that, you have controlling yourself. At times he was like a lost child in a lot of ways. Oh but yeah.
Speaker 1: A bit of a partier.
Speaker 2: He died in eighty nine at the age of thirty eight accidental prescription drug overdose. Had traces of cocaine in his bloodstream. But still a hell of a life, and his time in the goonies was checkered. Five hours of makeup each day it took to get him into that and one of these prosthetic eyes was manually operated by remote control. So someone would start a count off camera and he would blink his other eye at the appropriate time to sync them up. And then for the scenes in the pirate ship, all the kids were told him not to get wet because this was an electrical rig, and they promptly they promptly did any any way, which prompted a shooting shutdown of a week. Sluck can't blink, I chopping executive. I'm looking at the dailies and sloth can clink. Shut it down, Doc Broland's pay. Oh, come on you, kiddo, it's Feldman. Yeah, it would have been Felban. Bring me that Feldman kid again. I'm gonna carve my initials into his chest.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Matt Music had horrific backpain due who's used in the NFL and had a tough time actually picking up chunk and throwing the people around in the movie. Fun fact, the candy bar he eats the movie was supposed to be an almond Joy rather than a baby Ruth.
Speaker 1: Here's a fun fact. That's the trivia question I got right on our episode of Food Court with Richard Blaze. Uh, where I triumph over you for defending milk chocolate? Where I handily defeated you in single combat. The novelization of this movie, did you did you have this? No?
Speaker 2: Because I know you're a novelization guy.
Speaker 1: A little bit. Not really, No, The only hate you. The only reason I had movie novelizations were when I was going to elementary school and I wish I could be watching a movie, but I couldn't.
Speaker 2: So I would be reading the novelization. Yeah, I was a big novelization guy. I had a bunch of those. I would always just get them at like the like half priced bookstore when we were on vacation and just read them. I'll tell you the novelization of the movie Blade Blade. That book taught me how to curse as a child. I had no idea. There were so many permutations on the F word. Speaking of improv, do you know Wesley Snipes at a table read improv the single best line from that movie, which is some mothers always trying to ice skate up hill, right before he kills the bad guy, Wesley Snipes, blady gentlemen, the friend of the pod Wesley Snipes.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: The novelization of this movie delves deeper into Sloth's life, revealing that after the events of the movie, Chunk's parents adopt him and throw him a bar mitzvah that is adorable. Imagine Sloth reading the torah.
Speaker 1: I'm you're not gonna get ready to do that impression.
Speaker 2: There was also a scene that was storyboarded but never shot where Sloth flexes first steph Martha Plimpton's who swoons over him, saying, Hunk City.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: The deleted scenes of this movie are so weird. We'll get into Garriz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the best ones. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The pirate movie that Sloth watches while he's chained up in the basement is the nineteen thirty five Errol Flynn swashbuckling classic Captain Blood. Dave Gruson, who did the score to this, recycled some of the cues from those classic movies for this film's score, specifically from Adventures of Don Juan, which does star Erl Flynn. Yeah, and it's such a cute turn for his character. You know, he's watching the Errol Flynn movies and then he gets his h he gets in agativity, Yes, while chained in a basement by his family, who among us, and then he gets to do this pirate ship. He gets a sliding at the end, just like Errol Flynn speaking of the set ah the Epic Showdown with the Fertelly family aboard one eyed Willie's treasure laden pirate chip, the Inferno hidden in a massive cave. This was one of the scenes that was filmed on stage in California. Required nine hundred thousand gallons of water. That sounds like a made up figure, But I don't. Yeah, I mean bit rich considering California has been in like a thirty year drought.
Speaker 1: That's uh. When he how Old's goonies, Yeah, that's correlation.
Speaker 2: This was the same set where the water shoot slides were used, which dumps them into the water in the pirate cave. That was a fully functioning water slide courtesy of the Langford Surf Coaster Corporation. Anyway, anybody they do anything else whatever. Richard Donner later said that he and the crew would sneak off after a busy day of filming to ride those water slides, which is adorable, along with friend of the Pod Harrison Ford. Once stopped by the set and according to Corey Feldman, was climbing around the caves with all the kids.
Speaker 1: This is like the one moment of joy Richard Donner had, after all, after fourteen hour days of being tortured by Corey Feldman, chose filling up to him coming up some weird talking about his thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Richard Donner just pours himself many martinis and rides the water water slide. That ship was real and had been built especially for the production over the course of only two and a half months.
Speaker 1: That's insane movie magic. Yeah, or one hundred five people. One hundred and five well, yeah, one hundred and five. Well, today they would have just done CGI.
Speaker 2: At least the prop people were union, so they would He's making okay money. Fun fact, folks, always remember when you're watching these CGI monstrosities that those are not union jobs, and that is why they are constantly being favored as opposed to practical effects, makeup and wardrobe. Anyway, all one hundred and five feet of that ship were designed to resemble Errol Flynn's ship from the film The Seahawk. Some of that rigging was recycled from the Pirates of the Caribbean ship at Disneyland, which was being renovated at the time. The sails on that ship required over seven thousand square feet of material. The largest one of them was sixty by thirty and you can spot R two D two scrolled away in there, because once again Spielberg loves his little Easter eggs.
Speaker 1: In order to get an authentically overwhelmed reaction from the cast, Richard Donner forbade the kids from seeing the ship before they shot the scene, and was constructed on another set and was hidden behind a very gigantic tarp I imagine. Donner later said, the day we were gonna film them first seeing it, we backed them all into the water and set the cameras on action. They knew what they were going to see, but they didn't know what it was going to look like. I love this. During some Gooni's event with Richard Donner in two thousand and one, Corey Feldman claimed that he snuck onto the ship while it was being built, and a visible annoyed Richard Donner just tried to shrug off these claims. For Donner felt like fifteen years later, Corey Selman still making his life a living hell being haunted by Corey Feldman, And for the most part, for these kids, seeing the ship for the first time as a really emotional moment, and Martha Plimpton later said she almost started to cry, and Sean Aston's mouth just dropped open, and he remembered thinking, the whole adventure we'd gone through had a happy ending. The ship. But yeah, because they filmed it sequentially, filmed it order right exactly. I love it too much, but the whole thing sort of backfired. Josh Brolin was so shocked he apparently let an S bomb slip, which supposedly required the scene to be shot again. Maybe just the master shot. I don't know. I'm not sure because I think some of those close ups of them reacting to it are authentic first, you know, first reactions. I've seen multiple explanations for this. I prefer to think that some of the close up reactions for that are real. The swearing in this movie is really funny for a PG movie. The S word and its variations are used twenty times throughout this movie, and in order to skirt a harsher rating, the profanity was strategically placed that it could be drowned out by background noise like police sirens or running water, or just the film's score during TV broadcasts, and it was also edited in a really specific way so that all you had to do was trim the first or last few seconds of a scene to lose the swear word, which is very clever. You may notice that in the scene where rocks are falling from the cave ceiling, Data screams, holy shit. He spelled it out because his mother made him promise not to use any bad words in the movie, which is adorable. This brings us to my favorite segment of this show. It belongs in a museum, probably the biggest instance of it belongs to the museum that we've ever had. The one hundred and five foot Inferno ship would have made an absolutely incredible tourist to try. Unfortunately, no one had the foresight or the money to make this reality. No one wanted this pirate ship after the shoot, so it was destroyed, that beautiful pirate ship. Oh my god, that breaks my heart. But yeah, right, I know, you think that we could just save it to use. I guess there aren't that many movies that require, you know, waten pirate ships. But you'd think that it would be handy to have around on a back lot somewhere. But yeah, I guess not. But there's another treasure from the Goonies which has gone missing. For a far more frustrating reason. The map to One Eyed Willie's Treasure Map is so badass. It comes to us courtesy of production designer J. Michael Reva, who I believe is also responsible for the ship as well. He put his sweat and blood into this map. Literally the night before he was due to drop it off, he came to the conclusion that it looked too new. It was supposed to be three hundred years old, so he set about trying to age it in his hotel room, pouring coffee onto it, you know that old trick, and even cutting his finger to drip his own blood around the edges, which I don't even I don't you know that the coffee or tea trick to age paper. I mean that not heard smear and blood around groper. Yeah, violation, Yeah, yeah, very much. So he later said, you do these crazy things. You get so into it, and it worked. You look at the map and it looks like an old map that's seen many years in battles, So that's uh gross map. The map was given to Sean Aston Mikey, who treasured it for many years until his mother, Patty Duke, came across it in his room and threw it away thinking it was an old scrap of paper that hurts a lot. Yeah, I know, spent almost cancels out valley of the dolls.
Speaker 2: Speaking of OSHA violations, there is at least one yew that has been lovingly preserved for posterity, the skull of One Eyed Willie. Richard Dawner kept that on display and a stand in his home next to a model of the Inferno Pirate ship until his death last year. We don't know where it is right now, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would assume that it's got to be well accounted estate somewhere. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: According to a website dedicated to the film Goonies, it was mentioned on the cast list that the skeleton of One Eyed Willie was played by.
Speaker 1: Real Well, well, you're bearing the lead here. It's a real skull.
Speaker 2: It's a real skull belonged supposedly to a guy named Raoul Wu who died from lead poisoning. I have been not been able to track down anymore on that. Why would you want a lead poisoned skull on the set of your children's movie?
Speaker 1: Why would you want a real skull at all?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, an actor prepares there's a scene with storyboarding but never shot, where Mikey and Andy find one eyed Willie with daggers in the eye sockets and Andy has to pull them out.
Speaker 1: Speaking of auction materials, Jordan, Yes, As a point of fact, the Lou Garrig baseball card that Mikey finds elm Chester Copperpott's body is worth two hundred and seventy five thousand dollars at auction in mint condition. And according to international maritime salvage law, rights to salvage a vessel and its contents go to the person or persons who first successfully brings something off the vessel in question. In this case, this is Mikey who brought the jewels off the ship, so legally the inferno and everything on it belongs to him, including one on Lilly's body.
Speaker 2: Surely, the first time we have ever cited international merit time law on.
Speaker 1: This is episode sixty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm surprised it took that long too.
Speaker 1: On it if we were coming up on about probably roughly three straight days of us talking at each other, and I'm amazed it took that long for that to come up. Yeah, we're going to take a quick break but we'll be right back with more too much information in just a moment. And this brings us to the end of the movie. And you'll notice at the end of the movie, Data, when he gets to the beach talking to a group of reporters, says the octopus was very scary. I always thought this was just the kids telling tall tales, even though Data is probably the most trustworthy of the bunch. I don't know, maybe Mikey too. But this line actually refers to a deleted scene that involves Steph and Mouth, Martha Plimpton, and Corey Feldman getting attacked by an octopus after they try to flee one i'd Willy's ship. And since this is pre CGI, as you mentioned, this all had to be practical effects, so they built a thirty two foot octopus. But unfortunately, the general consensus was that the octopus looked kind of goofy and basically too to be considered scary. For what was the climax of the movie, Sean asked them. Put it bluntly, the octopus always sucked. But the octopus featured prominently in the promo campaign for the movie. It appeared in trading cars that were made as toys. It also appeared in the video for the Cyndi Lapper song Goonies Are Good Enough, which we'll get to in a moment, And there was also a song on the soundtrack called eight Arms to Hold You by the goon Squad, and the filmmakers were convinced this song was gonna be a huge hit, so they pressed it as a twelve inch dance single, but it sold miserably and is apparently one of the rarest most valuable Goony related items out there. So if you have a copy of eight Arms to Hold You by the goon Squad on twelve inch, hold on to it. Also a point of fact, eight Arms to Hold You is the working title of the Beatles second movie Help Know That? So like a gang Bang scenario. No, it's one of the statue of the I believe fake Indian god Kayli with the eight arms coming off of it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, sure that's a weird movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is very much so. Yeah. So. There are a lot of scenes from The Goonies that were cut from the theatrical release but reinstated for cable broadcasts, where scenes that have been deemed inappropriate for broadcasts were cut and they needed to make up the running time, so they put these previously deleted scenes back in, which is really interesting, kind of weird. I'm not totally sure if the octopus scene is one of them that made it onto the TV broadcasts. I've heard some accounts that it did make it onto TV airings, but there's another scene earlier in the movie that definitely did. It's when the Goonies stop at a convenience store early in their adventure. Mikey compares his treasure map to a modern map. Chunk buys junk food, and probably most crucially to the plot is the scene where the Goonies meet steph Andy and the rich bully Troy for the first time. I think Troy's dad is the one that's trying to destroy the Goonies home and make a golf course or something out of it. Troy threatens to use the treasure map as a rolling paper and light it up. Brand shows up to defend his little brother Mikey, and then it cuts the Brand riding his bike home when try pulls up alongside him in his Mustang and tries to run him off the road. Remember he holds onto his hand when he's on his bike and like runs him to the edge of the cliff and just like sends them all. Yeah, yeah, it's pretty freaky. So that whole scene makes a lot more sense that they just had like a fight earlier on in the you know, in the day, because otherwise, just out of context, it seems like a pretty aggressive thing for somebody to do that we've not really seen in the movie before. That's to kill him for no reason.
Speaker 2: Now we must come to a segment we like to call monkey business. That's that's hey, that's I got nothing. Hey, hey, hey, they have a monkey. Yes, they're not monkeys, though garulas are apes of a bitch. We threw this whole conceit off.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Well, yeah, there was a whole subplot in The Goonies involving escaped gorillas that Spielberg insisted on being in there. I love this so much. There were a few scenes that were left on the cutting room floor. One of the goonies protested against the demolition of their neighborhood, and another word Data tries out a gadget called the Intimidator, which puffs air into his shirt to make him look muscular, not unlike a pufferfish, but the most bizarre, easily was this whole elaborate subplot involving two gorillas who'd escaped from a zoo. This was scripted, this was storyboard, and this was even shot. This is one of Spielberg's ideas, and he loved it so much he insisted on it, even going so far as directing the sequences himself, to the apparent chagrin of actual director Richard Donner. It begins when the goonies are underground, signaling for help by banging on the underground pipes. We've talked about the scene a few times. This sets off a chain of chaotic events in town, and one of them was going to be that these two gorillas, Bonzo and Bertha, gap from a local zoo, and then we're going to run am uck through the town for the rest of the movie, hijacking a golf cart and then later stealing Troy's red Mustang and embarking on a French Connection style car chase with stunt drivers. It was just gonna be this random element that would keep popping up through the rest of the movie, and Spielberg was so enthusiastic about the subplot that Donner was like, you know, what about how did you direct it yourself? So he did. It's like really complex, probably very expensive series of scenes.
Speaker 2: I just found this thing from Willamette Week, which is I believe, an Oregon publication talking about the Ape Seed. Well, it's like an oral history of it filming in Astoria with a bunch of local residents. Quoted Dave Johnson, a retired Astoria Police Department officer, had this to say about the gorilla scene, which is hilarious. There were two gorillas in a Mustang convertible. They wrecked a brand new car, but it was never part of the movie.
Speaker 1: There was a part. There was a part on the dock. It's like in the French Could when they actually crashed into a real car. He says.
Speaker 2: There is a part in the dock during the big car chase. They were supposed to come flying down the dock. One police car was supposed to go through the railing and landed a boat. Somebody screwed up and the jeep that they were driving a rental they had gotten in Portland that they weren't supposed to mess up. Someone mistimed it and the police car hit the back of it. The police car landed on the boat where it was supposed to go, Donner goes, somebody get me a car. I gotta go fire somebody. So the ape scene. Spielberg's insistence on this gorilla chase scene cost someone their job when a stunt involving a police car went awry.
Speaker 1: For those of us who've never seen Richard Donner, just what actor would you get to play him? How would you summ up that that pissed off, exhausted energy. Yeah like that, I'm the idiot crash on the runway. Yeah, yeah, that's that seems about right. But this was all cut supposedly because Richard Donner reshot the ending of the movie, and Christopher Clumps's original script had the film end at Mikey's house, the Walsh House, where Rosalita, the maid would find the bag of jewels that Mikey had taken off the ship while doing the laundry, thus providing the family with the cash to save their house and save their neighborhood. And then the gorillas We're gonna show up, And then the gorillas show up, and the shopping executive, Hey, the gorillas show up at the Walsh House as they're all celebrating, and then they're finally apprehended by the cops and taken back to the zoo. None of this has anything to do with the plot of the movie at all. Spielberg just loved it. But yeah, I just apes on the loose, I guess. But Richard Donner, he just felt that this scene at the house felt like such a small ending to such a you know, an epic movie. They just had an Errol Flynn's style swashbuckling fight on a pirate ship, and now they're in this kind of rundown house. But Donner wanted to be able to see the pirate ships sail away at the end of the movie, so we decided to reshoot the ending at in Cola State Park by Haystack Rock, that very distinctive rock formation, and you get that epic shot of one eyed Willie's pirate ships sailing away. Funnily enough, in the ending, some of the parents of the Goonies of their parents in real life. I think Chuck's parents are in that scene, and Richard Donner actually shows up as a cameo and an ATV. So there you go. You will be able to get to see if Donna. If you watch The Goonies so you got Donner, but there's no gorillas rolling into the ending. The official reason that this whole gorilla subplot was cut was because it lost its conclusion when they reshot the ending at the beach. I don't know if they just deemed it too expensive to get all those stunt drivers back or what you know, could have the gorillas just show up on the beach. I guess, but Dnner acxd it. I have a funny feeling he was just looking for an excuse to get rid of it.
Speaker 2: We just pan away and there's two gorillas like sit in there, arm in arm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And these Spielberg directed gorilla sequences have never been seen in full. There have been a few behind the scenes photos that have surfaced in recent years, and a rough work print of part of one of the car chase scenes, but other than that, it remains in Spielberg's vault of special things. It's just the scene from Raiders.
Speaker 2: Now we must talk about my beloved Cindy Laupper and a song.
Speaker 1: Oh I love Cydey Lapper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a whole sidebar and I didn't even get to write in here, but I'm going to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Which is the professional wrestling.
Speaker 2: Tie in Goonies Are Good Enough, the theme song to the Goonies. Cindy was asked by Spielberg directly and she agreed to do a twelve minute, two part music video for the song, which includes a cameo from Spuberg along with a who's who of professional wrestling. At the time, Sidney Lauper had such a connection to eighties wrestling culture it rules. She met Captain Lou Albano, who a wrestling personality manager, on a plane from Puerto Rico, and when it came time to shoot the Girls Just Want to Have Fun video, she wanted to put him in there and this led to like a long standing association with it. She was basically invited onto to do WWF promotions. And I didn't know this, but because of that, and because she was such an MTV star, there was this whole synergy between MTV and professional wrestling. At the time, MTV broadcast the first live wrestling match on cable television, and at Cindy Lauper's behest, the first live professional wrestling match between women, Wow Yeah, and with Andy Kaufman. Sadly, sadly no anyway, Corey Feldman was a massive Cyndi Lapper fan, and he was super prompted that she was doing a song for this until he heard it, subsequently saying it was terrible, the worst song I've ever heard Cindy Lauper do, but it went to number one, even though she has also said it was not a particular favorite of hers. She didn't play it live for over twenty years. Eventually debuted and her True Colors tour in two thousand and seven. Apparently in her autobiography, she talks about a meeting she had with Steven Spielberg to discuss their ideas for the music video for this, and at one point she told him his ideas were not very creative, which ended the subsequently ended the meeting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she pushed to have the Bengals on the soundtrack. That was again at her behest and Oscar and Grammy winning composer Dave Gruson his original score for this was just not issued for very many years, but the cue that he wrote for Telly Chase has just popped up in a bunch of different movie trailers, including Inner Space, the Steven Spielberg produced movie, so that for a while you could just hear that part of the score in movie trailers, which is so funny because it's kind of like how Clint Mansell and Kronos Quartet wrote this piece for rock Raem for a dream Ah which is called I Think lux E Turna and it just got this second life of its own.
Speaker 2: You would just see it. It was in like the Lord of the Rings trailer and like you would just see it get popped up, completely divorced of its context as like I just go to trailer music. I always just love that.
Speaker 1: That's so funny to me.
Speaker 2: Speaking the Fortellies speak of music.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for me, the best part of the Goonies musical legacy is that inspire the name for the mid two thousand Scottish rock band the Fortellies, the song Chelsea Dagger, that song whips and also whistle for the choir. It's a great song. Shout out to my friend Katie if she's listening. She loved that song. There's a lot of personal shout outs in this one. Yeah, this brings us to the rest, rest and the rest. Let's go to the box office stats. The Goonies was released in June nineteen eighty five and initially trailed behind Rambo Forest Blood Part two at the box office, which must have pissed Robert Dovey off to no end. That's the movie that he was supposed to be in. Also, it ultimately made one hundred and twenty four million dollars on a nineteen million dollar budget, making it the ninth highest grossing movie of the year. Critics' responses were largely positive. Robert or Ebert, I don't know. I mean, I do know why we're going for him. He's Roger Ebert, but he had a great review. It's a fantastical story of buried pirate treasure, told with a slice of life approach that lets these kids use words Bogart didn't know in Casablanca. What a phrase? Oh. Over the years, various sequels and spinoffs have been proposed, including an idea for our Cartoon Network series that would have seen Corey Feldman reprize the role of Mouth. I think that one stayed on the on the old development slate of of all the characters to base the spinoff around all right. In two thousand and seven, a musical adaptation was proposed, but even though Spielberg and Donner discussed it, project went nowhere. Like a Broadway show that could have been cool, So okay cool quotes. In February twenty twenty, Sarah Wattson, the creator of the show The Bold Type, began work on a pilot drama series in which a woman helps film students create a shot for shot remake of The Goonies. I don't know anything more about that. That's fascinating to me. I like really really specific shows like that. It's a plot of b kind rewind. Oh, you're right, that's true video store employees.
Speaker 2: But yeah.
Speaker 1: In interviews for years, Sean Astins insisted that a Gooney sequel was an absolute certainty, just a question of when there's an IMDb page for Goonies two that slated for twenty twenty seven, which is hell of a long way off. The possibility of a sequel began circulating sometime around the early two thousands, when and Gooney's director Richard Donner and Steven Spielberg were on board for a story, but Warner Brothers apparently wasn't interested in a sequel, despite the fact that many of the original stars had expressed interest in appearing in it. I mean, as much as I'm kind of opposed to doing later era sequels, of beloved movies. It seems like kind of a miss at least curious. Yeah, yeah, it's like not quite long enough for it to be one hundred percent definitely terrible if it was what sixteen years later, Like, I'm curious how that would have gone, but never came together, and I guess. Corey Felman and Shawn Aston later pitched their own sequel idea in apparently as late as twenty nineteen, but never came to fruition due to a combination of high budget requirements and the cast and crew's inability to come to a consensus about a story, and then Richard Donner's death in July twenty twenty one almost certainly put an end to the dream of a Goony sequel or a nightmare. Corey Felerman more or less said as much in August of this year that it's probably not going to happen, and he, for one, is sort of glad because sequels ruin everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quantica that in April, saying I feel like, after Donner's passing, I'm kind of at peace with leaving that movie alone now, even though I want Gooney's to two to happen, I'm kind of at a place where I think it should just be the way it is.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't mess with it. Agreed.
Speaker 2: There's just a tremendous story that comes out of the end of this shoot, even.
Speaker 1: The perfect way to end. I love this.
Speaker 2: Poor Richard Donner, I mean, had to watch his former protege become a much larger director than him and possibly take over his shoot. He was stressed out constantly by dealing with children. His quote in the making of documentary is, I think the most unique thing about working with this many kids is that every night I'm contemplating suicide. It is the most difficult thing I've ever thought I was going to get into.
Speaker 1: Did you watch this clip? Like there's no humor in his face as he says this.
Speaker 2: But so by the time the shoot was over, Donner was just thrilled to get back. He couldn't wait to get back to his home in Maui and Hawaii and just relax without a bunch of children around. But Spielberg, that son of a bitch, wouldn't let this happen. For the last week of the shoot, Donner had noticed that the kids were acting a little cold, little standoffish towards him, and they had been shooting for five months for this, you know, so they'd become very close and this freaked him out a little bit, so he tries to put it out of his mind, flies back to Maui, where he runs into some neighbor who has this excuse to keep him out of the house all day, Eron's or something. And by the time he finally gets back to his house, the entire cast of the Goonies, along with all of their spouses and partners, are hanging out at his house, having come directly from the airport, luggage and all. Spielberg flew them all down there for a rap party barbecue, and Donner's other neighbor, Alice Cooper, came by to party as well.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: There was a film crew on hand as well to film all of this. Uh And according to the documentary The Unauthorized Story of the Goonies, things got a little too out of hand for this to be included on the special features of a rated PGE movie. But it's out there somewhere, folks. If you can, if you can get it, mo.
Speaker 1: You five bucks this time, will mo you? Well? To close out, I'd like to read a section from another deleted scene in this movie where Andy and Steph take the sacred Gooney oath. Never made it in the movie, but uh I personally said this oath before we started taping. So I'm already a goony. But higel, if you'd be so kind as a repeat after me and anyone else listening at home, please feel free to follow along repeat as well. I will never betray my goondock friends. I will never betray my goondock friends. We will stick together until the whole world ends. We will stick together until the whole world ends, through heaven and hell and newular war, through heaven and hell and nuclear war. Good pals like us will stick like tar. Good POWs like us will stick like tar. Doesn't rhyme, but okay, in the city or the country, or the forest or the boonies.
Speaker 2: In the city or the country, or the forest or the boonies.
Speaker 1: I am proudly declared a fellow gooney.
Speaker 2: I am proudly declared a fellow gooney.
Speaker 1: Congratulations side, congratulations to all of you at on. Well, Goonies never say die, so we'll just say until next time. This has been too much information. My name is Jordan Runtalg and.
Speaker 2: I'm Alex Iigel and until that one last gooney weekend, We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Too Much Information was a production of iHeartRadio. The show's executive producers are Noel Brown and Jordan Runtalk. The supervising producer is Mike Johns.
Speaker 2: The show was researched, written, and hosted by Jordan run Talk and Alex Higel.
Speaker 1: With original music by Seth Applebaum and the Ghost Funk Orchestra. If you like what you heard, please subscribe and leave us a review. For more podcasts on iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows